[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

This line of thinking ruined not only the MCU, but the the entertainment industry as a whole
>>
Nah, it's a pretty basic explanation of how it's best to vary the tone up so it doesn't become monotonous
>>
>>127238288
Joss Whedon ruined an entire generation of storytelling.
>>
>>127238288
>Tonal consistency? What's that?
>>
I'm surprised there wasn't any callback to Coulson in Endgame. Also every post in this thread was dubs until >>127238385 came along.
>>
Now everything has to have a sarcastic quip punchline.
>>
>>127238407

it was kinda bullshit honestly
>>
>A JOKE? AIEEEEEEE SNYDER-SAMA HELP MEEEE
Autism
>>
When done wrong, it's retarded. When done right, it's the character's last gasp at going out without truly withering away. It doesn't have to be haha funny. Just a chuckle, then makes you cry.
>>
Look no further than the Netflix Cowboy Bebop show.
>>
>>127238470
So that's what is does was a nice way to go out.
>>
File: caligubot.jpg (52 KB, 500x400)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>127238288
it seems to me to portray the person dying as being at peace with the decisions that led up to that moment. it's a way of saying "i have no regrets" with out expressly saying the words.
nothing, i regret it
>>
Buffy was much less annoying than the MCU.
>>
>>127238288
>character say a line that is a call back to earlier in the movie before dying/at the end
Yeah, that was totally created by the MCU. And oh god its so bad grrrr
>>
>>127238429
>>127238311
Despite what Whedon might think and teach his gaggle of worshiping retards, "jokes" are not the same as "quips". It's like a childish, pathological need to shift the mood.

It might have been amusing early on, but it's so overdone now (especially in the Marvel movies) it just stopped being funny altogether. At this stage, it's a crutch used by incompetent writers and pathetic producers looking to give all their movies the same "flavour".
>>
Whedonesque quipping is done to death and people are rightfully sick of it.
>>
>>127239070
Same as woe-jack/frogposting, yet people keep doing it because they think it's "le funni ecks dee"
>>
>>127238480

Like I said. Done wrong, it's self aware stupid bullshit. Done right, it's the last hurrah.
>>
>>127238688
Truncated and bad they might be, but even Snyder has jokes in his movies. Because he knows that you need to contrast your edgy, serious stuff with some levity for the audience not to get completely numb.
The reverse is also true btw. Good comedies have some genuinely emotional scenes too.
>>
>>127238288
If only Joss Whedon were alive today to witness the hell he's unleashed upon the entertainment industry.
>>
>>127238311
You can tell jokes and change the tone but it doesn't mean it has to all be in the same scene. You can let people be sad for at least a minute.
>>
>>127238288
This shit ruined GOTG2 especially
>>
It's not Whedon's fault everyone's copying him, he hasn't touched the MCU in over half a decade now. Gunn is just as much to blame too.
>>
>>127238413
Joker has been doing that for years
now that marvel did it however..
>>
>>127238311
shakespeare

>puts in a light hearted monologue from a clown

whedon and other modern retards

>taints dramatic scene with quip

big difference, retard
>>
>>127239233
>Character who think he's funny but is more annoying than anything else
You should have thought that one through
>>
>>127238523
>didn't watch Buffy
>>
Why is it that whenever someone tries to point out the Flaws with Whedon-esque shit retards suddenly think they're clamoring for Snyder shit. It's not the same thing and opposite extremes are just as bad,
>>
>>127239268
Shakespeare is overrated.
>>
>>127238288
>Tony

Not even the same sequence of events when he falls back to New York.

>Coulson

Not even his final scene.

>>127239491
/tv/tards who keep trying to troll with this nonsense have been discredited everytime. You are no different.
>>
>>127239652
>Not even his final scene.
Which is a separate problem in itself
>>
>>127239652
>>127239670
It functionally is. Isn't Agents of Shield not even canon anymore?
>>
>>127239681
It never was, whether you want to believe that or not.
>>
>>127238407
Because Feige is a fucking idiot, or just that petty
It was bullshit that Coulson wasn’t referenced in Endgame. At least AoS had some good plots running parallel to IW/EG
>>
>>127239681
It’s canon. Retards don’t understand what canon means / never watched the show.
>>
>>127239633
You’re posting this on the comics and cartoons board so I’m genuinely curious what you’d prefer to read/watch
>>
>>127238344

This.

I remember the first time I saw his writing stink of the theatre. I'm old. I saw Alien Resurrection in theatres in 1997. The tone shifts really make it feel incongruent with the first 3. It was bad.

I was worried it would spread, and then sure enough had to watch is like a cancer in everything I loved about any media fiction. It's a widespread disease now, so common that most people don't even know it didn't ever need to be this way.
>>
>>127239268
>>127239945
Shakespeare is overrated, you pretentious clown.
>>
>>127238288
The jokes undercutting seriousness allowed jocks to feel okay about enjoying the material. If the jokes weren’t there they’d feel embarrassed about getting invested in the story. MCU films essentially appeal to all the people in the high school play who crack jokes on stage so they don’t look like dweebs for reciting Hamlet.
>>
>>127240166
This
>>
>>127240166
I went to a small school where the "cool" kids were more gangster/hood than jocks but they were usually pretty accepting of comics stuff. Early 2010s for reference.
>>
>>127238288
Whedon is a faggot but it's not his fault everyone copies his style of humor just because MCU makes bank even when he hasn't directed one of the movies in ages
>>
File: duck_170690246.jpg (465 KB, 867x1000)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>127238288
The problem with Whedonism is it stems from an insecure embarrassment about the genre, a reflexive "haha I know this is dumb".

It's very easy to write quippy characters who wisecrack or wink at the audience.

It's far more difficult to write fantastical sci-fi or fantasy and embrace the story and characters fully, because serious characters are alot harder to write, because the writer has to fully commit to the story and care instead of constantly meta-winking.

Whedon's best work IMHO is where he either doesn't or cannot have characters quip.
>>
It's always weird when people say this is what ruined the entertainment industry and then completely ignore other huge blockbuster franchises who used the exact same formula prior to the MCU like Transformers and Fast and Furious
>>
>>127238688
Sadly Whedon's influence is far greater than Strazcynzki, whose Babylon 5 pisses on Buffy from a great height.
>>
It's so bizarre to me that Whedon and his Bathos method of writing has remained popular all this time. Undercutting actual drama with a cheap joke is one of the most self destructive things a writer can do.
>>
>>127241619
Indeed.

Are we forgetting Roger Moore and his infamous puns in Bond movies, which were the most infamous Bathos in movies of the 70s and 80s?
>>
>>127239189
A shame, too, because Gunn, in the last scenes in the film, manages to avoid stupid jokes and let Yondu's death linger.

There's some great scenes with Gamora and Nebula, too. But Gunn pushes the humour too hard in places, dragging out jokes painfully long and undercutting some serious scenes.
>>
>>127238480
Exactly. That Vice article nailed it.

Faye and Jet don't fit those kind of quips at all, but it's clear they made Faye into Generic Female Heroine, and using language that feels so un-Faye it is jarring.
>>
>>127238509
This. Coulsons line was actually pretty good and I smirked without it completely ruining the tone.
>>
>>127241581
I just want a little awe
>>
Reminder that comedy doesn't undercut tragedy as long as the characters experiencing the tragedy don't seem like they are ignoring it or being flippant. Comedy undercuts TENSION. Not all tragic scenes are tense. Many fucking aren't.

Fucking dumbfucks.
>>
>>127239633
>>127240112
Even if he is he's still better than your false idol Whedon
>>
>>127241821
I read an entirely different article on vice before finding the right one. That other one tried to excuse the show as SO BAD IT'S GOOD HAH HAH IT'S 2021 while blatantly misunderstanding the shows theme as "Taking life as it comes" which couldn't be wronger if she watched Outlaw Star by accident instead
>>
File: 1617605245528.jpg (5 KB, 259x194)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Remember when people used to unironically wear this?
>>
>>127244745
Hindsight is quite ze bitch
>>
>>127238288
The Coulson scene was great. If anything the problem is other writers much, much more less capable trying to imitate it. The problems is not with the method but with incapable writers.
>>
>>127238311
When you do comedy too soon after drama, it undercuts the impact.
>>
>>127238288
I think the MCU Spider-Man films handled this shit well enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPY5Iq-tCvk
>>
File: E1EytRuWQAAI6CI.jpg (50 KB, 1024x538)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>127238288
I wish that twitter meme making fun of Joss Whedon a few months back took off more
>>
>>127238407
>I'm surprised there wasn't any callback to Coulson in Endgame.
Why would there be? By that point Coulson had been dead for about a decade. Might as well throw callbacks to Yinsen and Dr. Erskine while they were at it. Would've been as equally redundant in the context of Endgame.
>>
>>127239856
It's the latter
The story goes is that he doesn't like Loeb or Ike and tried to sidestep anything Marvel TV does
The only thing he acknowledged was Agent Carter and that was because he had some involvement with it
>>
>>127238311
No, it's a basic explanation of how to remove any and all emotional impact from your movies.
>>
>>127241581
>The problem with Whedonism is it stems from an insecure embarrassment about the genre, a reflexive "haha I know this is dumb".

This kind of coincides with early 00s internet culture having that kind of mentality like on Something Awful or something
>>
>>127238288
Spider-Verse writers understood this.
>"The way that scene [originally] went is Noir said he lost his Uncle Benjamin, Peter lost Uncle Ben, and Gwen lost Peter. We went through everyone. Spider-Ham said he lost his Uncle Frankfurter. And then he said, 'He was electrocuted, and it smelled so good...' We just decided, 'This is a bad laugh. This is throwing off the energy in the scene.' Spider-Man is a real person with real feelings, and we wanted people to get that."
>>
>>127246630
Yeah that's why it's the best superhero movie of all time.
>>
I actually read an interesting article about why quips could be used instead of actual jokes. In order to understand jokes, it is crucial to understand the language or culture of the country the movie is set in. As quips are very simplistic in their nature ("Uh, that's NOT what I said", "Shawarma!"), everyone should be able to understand it, no matter what country they are from. Obviously, one has to take that with a grain of salt because Hollywood IS filled with bad writers but imo, pandering to foreign audiences through easy quips makes total sense. Hell, they even reshoot the same quip scenes over and over with 10 different versions just so they can cut the movies together for focus groups so it's a possibility.
>>
>>127240398
What did they think about Punisher lol?
>>
>>127241630
>>127238688
>>127239188
>>127239268
It makes the characters more endearing you dumbasses. Rather than taking themselves too seriously for the sake of it they try to lighten up the mood in dark moments, like real life people do.
>>
>>127246661
A massive disappointment is what it is.
>>
>>127246777
So you are telling me that after watching a massacre, people in real life tend to make jokes about killing people? Fuck right off, it doesn't make characters endearing, it makes them look dumb and unempathetic. If you want to take away depth from a character, make them a silly joker in every single moment and let all serious scenes turn to dust. Thing with the MCU is that I could list you ten characters who quip all the time because every character feels the same at this point. If everyone is funny, nobody is.
>>
>>127238288
As much as I dislike many Marvel movies I do agree with that statement. People loved comics because they were entertaining.
But there needs to be a propper balance.
>>
>>127246899
Telling a joke after every dramatic moment is not the proper balance, obviously. So why are you saying you agree with the statement?
>>
>>127246908
I agree that every story should have darker tones and scenes and jokes. If something lacks jokes and its full od drama it just becomes stale.

Look at korean dramas. They may not be best written stuff ever, but they have really good mix of funny and serious
>>
>>127238288
No, it didn't. It's actually a great advice.
>>
>>127246908
>Telling a joke after every dramatic moment is not the proper balance
Seeing they don't do that, it's not an issue. And when they do it, it's well executed and compliment the dramatic moment instead of ruining it.
>>
>>127238288
Exactly, The Avengers sabotaged an entire decade of movies, comics and videogames. It was fine for one movie, but that shit has been put well into places where it ruined dramatic buildup. It's just a stupid way to trivialize an intense moment because for some fucking reason too many writers, not all, but too many are afraid to commit for fear as coming off as too serious. What self sabotaging bullshit. I bet my nuts such writers spend too much time on social media, hence why they're influenced by mediocre fucks who think if you believe in something, commit to it you're "cringe".
Then there's the complete opposite direction where characters never crack a fucking smile and look pissed and miserable for 90 minutes straight because this is a SERIOUS movie people! They try so hard to be "serious" that they come off as inauthentic, and boooooriiiiiiiing! TLOU2 was a perfect example, even TLOU1 was pushing it but 2 just fucking overdid it, what a miserable pile of shit
Not much media around anymore that strikes a nice balance between more relaxed, casual moments and dramatic tension not bogged down by le funi quippy bullshit
>>
>>127246982
>Seeing they don't do that, it's not an issue.

Marvel movies and many other modern series and movies absolutely do that. So you're wrong.
>>
>>127247133
>Exactly, The Avengers sabotaged an entire decade of movies, comics and videogames
No, it didn't.
>>
>>127247149
Nope, they do'nt do it for EVERY dramatic moment. So you are wrong.

and when they do it, it complement the drama, it does not ruin it.
>>
>>127238311
>vary the tone up
>by doing the same thing every time
>>
>>127246777
Sometimes you do have to take yourself seriously, you fucking manchild.
>>
>>127238288
Where the fuck is anything dark or grim in his work? Is Buffy supposed to be dark? Was The avengers fighting a bunch of uncharismatic bugs just Dark by itself? I guess Hollywood folks just get to make things by their own self validating whims.
>>
>>127238385
>Tonal consistency? What's that?
Something that really doesn't matter as much as you think it does. The tone is going to shift throughout a story and even during a scene, creating almost a rollercoaster effect of ups and downs, thrills and laughs. Putting a joke in a dark, serious scene isn't a bad thing because what it does is alleviate the tension and lifts the scene. If that's what you're trying to accomplish, if you're trying to not make your capeshit superhero movie for kids and kidults too sad and depressing, then you're doing the right thing. But if you want the scene to be somber and serious, obviously don't add a joke to it because it's going to ruin that tone.
Tony's quip is appropriate for the scene because the whole point is it's over, the day is saved, and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief and smile because the good guys won. I remember seeing this in theaters and when he said that people laughed and enjoyed themselves, the first Avengers movie was very well received, and so I'd say the scene worked.
>>
>>127247338
I remember someone here parroting an e-celeb complaining over Spider-Man being happy that MJ reciprocated his feelings after he had defeated Mysetrio and was sad a moment ago that he died.
>>
>>127238288
No, lighten the fuck up.
>>
>>127238344
>>127239972
Oh, look at the snyderlard agreeing with himself.
>>
>>127246784
It can be that and still be the best superhero movie of all time, both because it was hyped that much and because the competition is that much worse.
>>
>>127246630
>Spider-Verse writers understood this.
Lol. No they didn't. They had an emotional scene of Peter failing with his life immediatly followed up with a visual gag of him showering with his suit like a retard. The movie is full of these retarded jokes including a lot of Meta ones you spergs constantly lose your shit about in the MCU
>>
>>127247408
I think that goes beyond not understanding storytelling. That's not understanding basic human emotions.
>>
>>127246777
You don't know many real life people. Unsurprising.
>>
>>127238311
>it's best to vary the tone up so it doesn't become monotonous
don't watch many MCU movies, do you? or movies in general at this point
>>
>>127238288
Bathos
>>
>>127246804
>So you are telling me that after watching a massacre, people in real life tend to make jokes about killing people?
When did MCU do that?
>>
I rewatched Avengers 1 recently and it holds up a lot better than most people give it credit for, probably better than most MCU movies really
>>
>>127240112
You probably use words he invented without even knowing it. That's not overrated, that's influential.
>>
>>127239268
Shakespeare was the whedon of his day, he made broadly popular work that was seen by various social classes within london, he wasn't a high artist nor did he claim to be, the deification of shakespeare started basically the second he died and has only gotten more hysterical with time
>>
>>127246777
>too seriously
It's not too seriously. It's seriously enough.
>>
>>127248616
It's still my favourite MCU movie probably. I don't know why. Everything just kinda fits right.
>>
>>127246804
>So you are telling me that after watching a massacre, people in real life tend to make jokes about killing people?
Yeah
>>
>>127238288
You're fighting a futile war, this board is populated by miserable corporate zombies who will defend anything released by Disney to their graves.
>>
>>127238688
It's still funny. You're just a nihilist
>>
>>127249207
You already lost the war. Go back to r*dd*t
>>
>>127238288
I don't mind the bit with Tony, it fits his character but yeah, making a joke every time something intense happens is not appropriate and not every character should do it.
>>
>>127238344
This and it can’t be overstated
Even talking action figures now say Whedonesque cutesy-poo quippy faggy bullshit
>>
>>127249515
I sorta realized this when we got around to Pete and he's telling less jokes than the average marvel movie before then. Sardonic Iron Man in 2008 was so good that every character had to emulate him and now the actually smarmy character has to be reined in because it's tired
>>
I don't watch capeshit, but everyone who has a problem with the quote in the OP is a clueless retard who watches movies alone.
You've never watched a movie with a group of people before, because anyone who has, will know that leaving the audience feeling any pain/sorrow/etc for more than a few seconds will cause them to disconnect from the movie, and start doing other things.
Texting, websurfing, talking, looking around, making jokes of their own, etc.
You don't make your billion dollar movies, by leaving people in this state for long. The majority of people who watch movies, do so with at least 1+ people, and don't want to express these feelings around others.
Add to this, the fact that capeshit is for literal children, and you'll quickly realize that adding quips/jokes, will keep them happy. Children especially don't know how to deal with emotions, leaving them feeling something like pain/sorrow/etc will make them like the movie less too.
It all adds up to less ticket sales, and less merch sales.
Before you reply to me with your butthurt, know that I'm not going to be reading it, and that you're admitting that you're literally the basement dwelling retard who thinks that he's better than everyone. No one likes your type, and that's why you watch movies alone.
>>
>>127250045
>leaving the audience feeling any pain/sorrow/etc for more than a few seconds will cause them to disconnect from the movie, and start doing other things
Sad. The world is full of ADD losers and manchildren.
>>
This was done in James Bond movies since 1963. When the quips are actually clever or well-delivered, it gives the audience a little break after a gruesome death or fight scene.

It's the same reason good comedies add a dramatic or thoughtful moment before building up the jokes again.
>>
>>127238288
theres nothing wrong with adding levity to a tense moment. but Joss whedon took that concept to 11 and nbow every action block buster has to have quippy dialouge because apparently the average movie goer has the attention span of a fish. So if there isnt funny one liners or explosions happening the audience will get bored.
>>
>>127238288
>What do you call a woman with no reproductive system?
>NOT A WOMAN!
I am so glad he's gone.
>>
>>127248616
It starts great, then you get to the hellicarrier scene and it just feels like the movie takes a break from itself for character interactions. which I guess isnt bad but it just too slow compared to the rest of the movie.
>>
>>127238344
Joss Whedon inspired the creation of TV Tropes, which alone is cause for damnation.
>>
>>127247163

Kinda did. The new Call of Duty and Battlefield did so, and the latter's amazing at how they did it despite having NO CAMPAIGN.
>>
File: 9ca.png (223 KB, 400x600)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>127250045
> Children especially don't know how to deal with emotions, leaving them feeling something like pain/sorrow/etc will make them like the movie less too.
It all adds up to less ticket sales, and less merch sales.

except you take whats considered nostalgic from the 80s and 90s. The unionrically built different. People still remember how they felt seeing shit like this. Its a memorable scene that people seen when they were kids. Its a stupid fucking notion that if kids cant handle their emotions, shun them from traumatic/emotional scene. Which in turn stunts them and likely why were dealing with a generation of adults who go to disneyland with out kids and have room filled with toys of all their favorite franchises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLbaFLoJI8
>>
>>127238288
Based.
>>
>>127247338
>But if you want the scene to be somber and serious, obviously don't add a joke to it because it's going to ruin that tone.
Lots of people try to make jokes in somber/serious moments as a natural coping mechanism.

You can have jokes in such scenes without ruining the mood. It depends on who is making the joke, what the joke is, and why the joke is being made.

Fuck every single person that doesn't get this.
>>
>>127246804
The new star wars films did that, after whitness countless innocent lives been destroyed with the exploding planets Finn and Han Solo are still like, "I gotta get me one of those" with the guns
>>
>>127247653
well thats both funny and sad, it deliver on both emotions.
>>
>>127250683
That's not funny though.
>>
Having a bit of levity once in a while is not a bad decision, but you overdo it and what you end up with isn't a drama with some comic relief anymore, but a comedy with some half arsed drama inbetween.
>>
>>127250683
>Lots of people try to make jokes in somber/serious moments as a natural coping mechanism.

That depends heavily on the situation and it's normally in a dangerous situation where someone might die, not right after they die or as they're dying. Fuck you.
>>
>>127238288
I still can't get over how Thor Ragnarok is actually a half-decent movie if you scraped away all the quipshit, but because that's all in the movie, it's permanently fucked. Like they couldn't even hold back when Asgard was being destroyed and Thor was having a pensive moment dealing with the loss of his home.
>>
>>127250819
It deflates the heaviness of Peter's sad life so far just like a quip during a serious scene in a Marvel film. I'd rather have the scene be fully serious than the film director showing Peter showering in his suit for the lulz. You can just make him have a divorce with the love of his life just 5 seconds earlier if you want me to think it's sad. Back to the original point though. The writers were sniffing their own farts there. ItS suffers from a lot of shit bad MCU movies like to use too.
>>
>>127251001
>That depends heavily on the situation and it's normally in a dangerous situation where someone might die, not right after they die or as they're dying
Did you even see the pic, because fuck you back.

>>127250978
>That's not funny though.
Yes, because it's sad. Because ordinarily it would be funny, but he's dead. The point is to relieve tension, not to get a laugh. It's cathartic.
>>
>>127251459
>Because ordinarily it would be funny
No it wouldn't
>>
I feel like always telling a joke after a serious moment is there for people who may not have had the moment land for them. Like for people who think like oh jeez I'm watching some dumb fucking superhero movie about a guy in a colored suit fighting monsters - well, good news! The movie thinks this shit is kind of cringe too, so you're in good company!

It's like the sort of person who says they like something, but then someone in the group says they don't like that - so that person then instantly says they actually do not like the thing they said they liked to agree with the person.

I'm also actually mad at the phrasing "for the love of god tell a joke" like it's so obvious that good story telling is busting out a quip every three seconds.
>>
>>127246777
I unironically think thor is less of a character in the movies when he becomes fat meme man.
>>
>>127251459
>Did you even see the pic, because fuck you back.

That's after the fact, during the mourning process. Not as his corpse is still warm, like the shitty jokes we're complaining about. You started the fucking.
>>
>>127251459
>because it's sad
No. It's just not funny. It's a lazy setup to a boring joke.
>>
>>127238288
>Highest grossing franchise
You're just too stupid to get subtle humour
>>
>>127250683
If someone made a joke during every single serious or challenging moment in your life, you'd probably start to get really annoyed with that person.
>>
>>127246535
you know how they wanted to parallel the Thanos stuff with Tony with his daughter, it absolutely should've been Yinsen.
>>
>>127251879
OR I wouldn't have a stick up my ass and laugh instead of being a little moppy bitch
>>
>>127250683
People usually don't. The natural reaction to finding out someone you knew died is to feel sad, not to crack a joke. If you think npc like behaviour and people that have difficulty focusing are the norm/should be encouraged then you have severe mental issues.
>>
>>127251940
You're hopeless.
>>
>>127251940
No man, I mean every single time. I mean you dropping a plate of food or you losing a child. Your friend Josh is always there with a funny quip to take the edge off!
>>
>MCUcucks defending shitty inapropriate jokes
The Airport fight in Civil War looked like a porn parody
>>
>>127252032
pornography is supposed to be stimulating
>>
>>127252056
It was a bad porno
>>
>>127252032
Yeah, looking back, it feels like the location was chosen to be a place that wouldn't have any blocking that they could piece together a lot of actors in green screen as easily as possible. Yeah, it's really easy to stage everyone on a large flat concrete area, but it's not the most visually stimulating place to film.
>>
>Some Marveldrone defending Whendon-quips

Let me use LotR and the Hobbit as a perfect example of this.

In LoTR there are jokes and jovial moments, sometimes even during intense parts of the plot, like Helm's deep or during the flight from the Balrog.

However, the jokes both fit the characters and the moment and did not actually move or lift the moods of the scene. Gimli saying nobody tosses a dwarf never makes the entire scene lose tension, it's done as a moment to point out gimilis character. Gimili is a stubborn fool, hence why he says something a stubborn fool would.

Meanwhile, the Hobbit is peak Whedon style; everyone acts goofy or off character just to create a good little scene ender or breathing room because the plot is too afraid to be serious for moments.

Whedon seems pathologically terrified of a serious moment actually hanging and remaining serious, so he needs to frame everything with quips. Thor should not be making Quips, Hell the point that makes Thor and Hercules such a great comedic duo is Thor is the supreme straight man to Hercule's nonserious attitude.
>>
>>127252107
I have an awful take here, but I always felt like Lord of the Rings was the actual originator of the sort of tone that the Marvel movies codified.

I did not watch the original LotR films until last year. I think the only reason you judge the Hobbit movies more harshly is because they came out after you had seen this a million times before.

I will say this, the original LotR movie does do it a lot better and like you said it's never distracting or deflates the scene. Still, I do kind of see this as like an ancestor to quipy screen writing.
>>
>>127252107
LotR jokes were awful. Your point is moot.
>>
>>127251972
>smiling makes you hopeless
Nihilism?
>>
File: maxresdefault_(2).jpg (132 KB, 1280x720)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>127252247
HE CANT BE STOPPED
>>
>>127252032
>Highest grossing films aren't good because... I said so
Get a load of this cuck
>>
>>127252107
>Thor should not be making Quips
Iron Man fucked up everything, it was fine when it was just him being a clown and everyone else was serious but then suddenly everyone became a mental retard.
The entire GoTG cast are composed by manchildren.
>>
Taika Waititi is like Joss Whedon on adderol
>>
>>127252204
No. Just No.

Lord of the Rings isn't afraid to be serious and allow the moment to be serious.

The Charge of the Rohirrim vs the Charge in Wakanda.

One is a slow build up, with a melancholic speech with a bittersweet song, outlining how these warriors can and most likely WILL die on that battlefield, but they are proud to do so as free men.

The other is a generic orchestral rise and a charge of random people, who feel so dejected and inhuman that they have little difference to the CGI bug people they fight, with a good few quips thrown in for good measure.

That is the difference between good scene building and bad scene building
>>
>>127252242
The visual gag of Gimli at helms deep is more funny than literally every quip in the MCU you dishonest fanboy.
>>
>>127252325
I think the Lord of the Rings is the best possible version of the MCU style, is what I'm saying. I don't mean that as like a back handed compliment, I think we both totally agree with each other and are just saying it differently.
>>
>>127252317
Taika Waititi doesn't pretend he can write complex characters or balance drama and comedy.

He's a comedic writer and director.
>>
>>127252366
I don't think they are the same style at all, is what I am trying to say.

Whedon just writes everything as buffy, quips and sass with a few action scenes, he's never had a single serious scene linger in his entire career.
>>
>>127238288
The main problem: the jokes aren’t funny
>>
I remember this girl I went on a date with was in love with the first avengers movie. Like fucking obsessed. I watched it with her, forget pretty much all of it. Super hero movies don't do it for me. I liked the early 2000s Daredevil movie if that counts
>>
>>127252032
>Dude orange slices LMAO
I still don't know what the fuck it means
>>
>>127252350
>Fanboy
One does not have to like the MCU to find LotR painfully unfunny, retard. Do you always cope through projection once your argument loses some weight?
>>
>>127252366
Nah man, watch the ride of the Rohirrim again. Not a single fucking quip, not a single thing to "Lighten the mood" turning it from serious to comedic.

It's fucking Kino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs&ab_channel=BramGroeneveld
>>
>>127252478
And yet here you are, desperately trying to defeat a point someone made with a deflection about the quality of comedy.

The point was the jokes in the LotR are better because they both fit, and they're just plain better.

Deal with it, you disgusting parasite.
>>
>>127252403
Kids seem to love them and that's the target audience
>>
>>127239633
Your mother’s holes are overrated.
>>
>>127252532
>This piece of shit joke is better than this piece of shit joke because I like LotR okay qwq
LMAO
>>
>>127252247
There's always a time and a place. You're hopeless, you'll never understand humans.
>>
>>127252500
>>127252325
What about Gimli and Legolas having a kill count contest for the lulz or Legolas riding a shield like a skateboard? That shit was goofy as fuck.
>>
>>127252612
Yes it is, it is however entirely in their character. They are both arrogant braggards who make light of the situation because they are self-assured of their own skill.

Legolas riding a shield is to show he's agile and swift, in the same way Gimli after being thrown seems to single handedly throw dozens of Uruk hai from the gate.

>>127252560
Keep mad capemaggot.
>>
>>127252612
>That shit was goofy as fuck.

Yes, and also pretty rare.
>>
>>127252635
>Keep mad capemaggot.
About what lol? Is this another of your coping mechanisms to get the last word?
>>
>>127252612
I-I-It doesn't count because it just doesn't okay! Unlike the MCU I grew up with these films qwq
>>
I legit started laughing when holland fell down saying mr stark I don't feel so good, cause after 2 and a half hours of non-stop jokes I was expecting a set-up about him quipping about having gases
That's how bad MCU is, you can't expect people to take your movie seriously if everything is a joke until you decide it isn't, the "snap" wasn't earned, it was dishonest, Infinity War was a comedy.
>>
>>127252635
>Yes it is, it is however entirely in their character.
So is Tony Stark throwing around jokes.
>>
>>127252764
Yes, but not every fucking avenger ever, with the same sassy quip style.
>>
I did not realize how many Whedon fanboys are on /co/
>>
>>127238311
Using a formula is not varying anything.
>>
>>127239233
Why would you compare one single character to an entire universe/franchise though?
>>
>>127247163
Well with that kind of insight, how could anyone disagree?
>>
>>127238288
at least normalfags are becoming aware of this shit
>>
>>127252475
It's a dad joke, people give kids orange slices when they get tired playing in soccer games and other sports. Paul Rudd gets a pass because he writes his own material.
>>
File: images (19).jpg (38 KB, 600x450)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>127238288
Member when Dark and Serious WAS TAKEN SERIOUS!

fuck millenials.
>>
>>127254596
to be fair though, mid late 00s on the comic side grimmdark shit was getting old. Plus this is also post dark knight trilogoy. So Marvel likely wanted to deviate from that.
>>
>>127254042
They are?
>>
File: EwZ8IeHXEAAnv8i.jpg (409 KB, 1024x768)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>127238288
When i think of Wheedoon and the people who were lovespelled into normalizing this cancer, this is what i think it represents.
>>
>>127251048
>the damage is not too bad
>>
File: images (4).jpg (21 KB, 500x374)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>127246777
No, it makes em into unhinged inmature petty children with no empathy, patience, sincerity nor humilty
>>
File: 1632319767764.gif (363 KB, 860x652)
363 KB
363 KB GIF
>>127248567
You want a list?
>>
File: 1636317614715m.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>127248616
>he doesnt remember the bitch scene from black widow.
>>
>>127238288
Yup.
>>
File: 1636316205433m.jpg (80 KB, 1024x768)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>127249278
You, are the nihilist, you were made into one thanks to intersectionality and wokeness.
>>
>>127238311
Sup Feige
>>
File: 1634360359410.jpg (49 KB, 540x405)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>127251806
When you really think of it, this is just another way to subvert and destroy culture, and no, i am not memeing, this is what is going on with our culture, vandalism, fuck millenials.
>>
I just think it's fucked up that Man of Steel got so much grief for all the collateral damage, when most Marvel movies do the same thing and then also have the heroes do nothing but tell jokes during.
>>
>>127254969
>he does
>>
>>127252564
>you can laugh therefore you're not human
Take your meds
>>
>>127251806
This. It comes off as cynical and contemptuous of the source material as opposed to embracing it.
People try to go “Well older comics had humor too” but the difference is typically those silly moments are played straight. They might be funny, but it was pretty rare that the joke was “lol this is stupid” unless that was the set up from the beginning.
>>
>>127255127
Nobody expects the hulk to care. Spiderlad took the time to try and save the sinking ship which already puts MCU leagues above MoS
>>
>>127255180
The biggest joke is you bitching as if it's gonna change anything. They found something that works and sells the most tickets in recorded history. They're not gonna change that because you want bleeding edge in children's movies
>>
File: 1637439450517.jpg (66 KB, 742x397)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>127255128
>and he is ok with it.

How does it feel havin no soul?
>>
>>127254828
What is this thing?
>>
>>127238288
That’s the exact reason why Marvel movies made so much cash.
Mainstream doesn’t want pure grimdark. That’s how you get shitshows like Snyder
>>
>>127255294
Corrected Translation: People have lower standards.
>>
>>127252612
>Legolas riding a shield like a skateboard
That still only counts as one!
>>
>>127252612
Because when LOTR and The Hobbit had funny moments they didn't do them right when something important was happening. Just something to make you laugh during the 20 minute battle scenes.
>>
File: 400.0% MAD.jpg (70 KB, 600x886)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>127254969
>>127254997
>m
>>
>>127250482
how?
>>
>>127246535
I don't mean as a full on plot point, just a wink to the audience. And yeah the other's could've gotten one as well.
>>
File: Ghimli and Legolass.png (158 KB, 460x577)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>127252612
You can have moments like that because they still had moments like
>I never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf
>What about a friend
>Aye. I could do that.
And with all sincerity. Their contests their jabs and, yes, I'll say it quips all lead to their growing friendship and overall relationship. LoTR earns the silly moments by not being ashamed of its shmaltzy ones.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.