[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Superman vs Muhammad Ali.jpg (471 KB, 1800x1218)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
Assuming that Superman actually does end up in the public domain which it won't what happens next?
>Market becomes flooded with bootleg merch that aren't technically bootleg anymore
>Any randos' fanfiction is now equally valid as anything produced before
>DC old'Yellers Clark and replaces him with a hip, younger version
>>
>>126355354
Public domain is progressive according to publishing date. So when Action Comics #1 becomes public domain you'll be able to write your own version of Superman, but you'll only be able to use elements introduced in Action Comics #1. Ma and Pa Kent, and the planet Krypton won't be usable until a year later, Lex Luthor and the Daily Planet until 2 years later, Jimmy Olsen won't be available until 3 years later, you'll have to wait 11 years for Kryptonite, and 21 years for Supergirl. Also DC will still maintain their trademarks.
>>
File: img019.jpg (607 KB, 2094x1651)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
>>126355469
>Ma and Pa Kent, and the planet Krypton won't be usable until a year later,

That's actually only partially true

Back in 1939 there was a Superman comic strip. But for six or seven months, the syndicate fucked up and put in incorrect copyright notices (like missing the copyright symbol or something). This is important because the stuff in the PD comic strips came after Superman's first year of Action Comics, but predate the 1939 Superman solo title.

Here's some of the PD comic strips, they introduced the idea that Superman is named Kal-L, and his Kryptonian parents are Jor-L and Lora.
>>
File: img020.jpg (643 KB, 2094x1662)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>126355623
>>
File: img021.jpg (600 KB, 2094x1662)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
>>126355680
>>
File: img022.jpg (616 KB, 2084x1662)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
>>126355691
>>
File: img023.jpg (698 KB, 2084x1662)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
>>126355709
>>
File: img024.jpg (599 KB, 2084x1662)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>126355716
They still didn't use the Kents in the comic strip, though.
>>
>>126355736
Neat. But the point still stands that a lot of what we consider essential to Superman doesn't come until well after his creation.
>>
File: RCO003.jpg (263 KB, 600x795)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>126355763
It is, but it's actually surprising what is already PD and what could be used during the year the first Action Comics is PD.

With Action Comics #1-8 you just get
>Superman/Clark Kent
>An unnamed planet
>Clark getting sent to an orphanage instead of being adopted by the Kents
>Lois
>The Daily Star
>The idea of Superman's city being Cleveland
>a bunch of one-off characters

So there's not much to work with

But if you add the PD comic strips in that means you get

>The planet called Krypton
>Jor-L, Lora, and their son Kal-L
>A good look at the passing motorist who pulled Kal-L out of the rocket
>Superman's city being named Metropolis
>Metropolis being in New York

Then there's the Fleischer cartoons which are PD because whoever had the rights to them during the 60s and 70s forgot to renew them, so you get The Mechanical Monsters and their inventor, The Bulleteers, and a bunch of other mad scientists

It has the Daily Planet and Perry White, but since they debuted in the comics before the Fleischer cartoons, they probably can't be used yet until comics from 1940 go PD

There's still a lot DC can control for a while because a lot of stuff got brought in over the decades.
>>
>>126355976
That does raise a question of the issues you'd run into involving the disparity in PD between mediums. What's the status of the radio serials?
>>
>>126355354
Is there a list of confirmed celebs in audience?
>>
>>126356084
That's a good question, I hadn't thought about looking into the Superman radio show, or radio shows in general because the whole mess about sound recording copyrights is insane. But I just looked now and old time radio shows had this mentioned:

https://otrrlibrary.org/copyright.html

If that's true then it means the Superman radio show is also PD. But I'd have to look some more into it.
>>
>>126356437
There is, in the original comic there's a guide on the inside front cover.

Also there was actually an earlier version of the cover that had celebrities who had to be changed in the final because they didn't sign off (like Telly Savalas, Elton John and Henry Winkler). Savalas was an easy change because all Adams had to do was remove the lollipop and people would just assume it was Luthor
>>
File: RCO002_1468900533.jpg (696 KB, 1127x1500)
696 KB
696 KB JPG
>>126356437
>>126356470
>>
>>126356451
This may be obvious, but even if the sound recordings cannot be copyrighted as that link says, would the underlying script have one?
>>
>>126356451
If the radio serials are PD then you could bring in Kryptonite immediately, but you'd be restricted to how it was described in the serials. An interesting aside, if you were stuck waiting for when Kryptonite first appeared in comics you would have to wait an additional two years after it became available to depict it as a glowing green crystal.
>>
>>126356527
That's also why I haven't looked into it yet, I wasn't sure if the original scripts were ever copyrighted.

Sound recordings are kind of complicated for this reason:
https://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2019/02/copyright-breakdown-the-music-modernization-act/

>Whether or not there are sound recordings in the public domain is a difficult question for a whole host of reasons, but the short answer is that it’s safest to assume that there are no sound recordings in the public domain. In reality, there probably are a few. But sound recording rights are tangled up in both state and federal law and require expert research into those laws to determine the status of a recording.

But I don't know if that applies to radio shows.
>>
>>126355976
Damn, so I can write and draw my own Supes right now? Shit bros, I'm actually a good artist and can do this.
>>
>>126356660
>Damn, so I can write and draw my own Supes right now?

Not yet. Action Comics #1 isn't PD yet since 1938 stuff isn't PD yet. The comic strips and the Fleischer cartoons are PD but they were released in 1939.
>>
>>126355469
>>126355354
This is the reason why Sherlock Holmes is such an asshole in many productions, despite all the stories being adapted being in the public domain. Because the stories where he's shown to care for Watson more explicitly (calling out in fear when he thinks Watson is shot, and being ready to murder the guy if Watson had died, I believe is one of them) are still under copyright and the Doyle Estate are litigious assholes who want to get paid for the books they still hold the rights to. Since everyone simply choose not to adapt those later stories, which aren't on anyone's top list anyway, they instead have chosen to go after anyone who "infringes" on them by showing Holmes as anything but a robotic asshole who treats everyone like crap, when he really wasn't like that even in the earliest books. It's fucking ridiculous, the lengths vultures will go to make money off the work of a man who's been dead for a hundred years.
>>
>>126356702
This is gonna be interesting to see when other stuff goes PD, like how will they argue it?

Like if Superman goes PD are you allowed to have Superman marry Lois? You probably can't use characters like Jordan Kent or Joel Kent or Chris Kent or Jon Kent because those were created from the 1980s to the 2010s.

As for Sherlock that's also going to be interesting in a different way. Assuming nothing else happens between now and January, on January 1 four more Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories will go PD, including "The Adventure of the Lion's Mane" which I think was the one that introduced the idea of Holmes retiring to be a beekeeper.

Once that happens, they're down to two remaining Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories still in copyright.
>>
>>126355623
>an earth quake
>they’re not on earth

I knew those guys were hacks
>>
>>126355354
Tell me you don't understand the public domain without saying you don't understand the public domain. >>126355469 gets it. You'll only be able to a) release your own copies of the actual works as they enter the public domain and 2) make derivative works based only on the elements that have entered the public domain, which will take another 50+ years until you get to really good Superman stuff.

Despite all that people will still think of DC's Superman as the true canon one. Anyone can make stuff based on fairy tales yet most still associate them with the Disney versions because they're the most popular.
>>
>>126355354
>Market becomes flooded with bootleg merch that aren't technically bootleg anymore
Regardless what works end up in the public domain, DC will still hold the Superman trademark, so you won't be able to legally make Superman merch without a licence from DC.
>>
>>126356660
>>126356669
Could I do a story featuring his birth parents and krypton?
>>
>>126356913
The official comics are not the most popular versions of these characters. The movies are.
>>
>>126357053
Even accepting that premise it just means the most popular versions won't enter the public domain for decades longer. But my point was moreso that people associate many classic fairy tales with Disney because they're the versions people know. Just like people know Superman is DC so will always associate the official version with them.
>>
>>126356702
It won't be long until we get a caring Holmes in newer stories (unless Disney lobbies Congress again)

As of this writing, the only parts of the Doyle Sherlock Holmes canon that are still under copyright are four short stories. Under US copyright law, two of them will become PD in January, and the entire canon will finally be in the public domain in 2023.

So you just gotta hold off on publishing anything you got for about a year and 3 months
>>
>>126357032
I'm guessing probably not, because they're a derivative of the unnamed planet in Action Comics #1 (the page in >>126355976 mentions a planet was destroyed, a scientist sending his son toward Earth, and that Superman's people had an advanced physical structure that also granted them strength upon maturity)

On the other hand we never actually saw his Kryptonian parents on the Action Comics page. But I probably wouldn't risk it yet.
>>
>>126357095
There's six Holmes stories still in copyright

four from 1926:
"The Adventure of the Three Gables"
"The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier"
"The Adventure of the Lion's Mane"
"The Adventure of the Retired Colourman"

And two from 1927:
"The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger"
"The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place"
>>
>>126356506
THANKS!
>>
>>126357140
sorry. Misread

Tho I do wonder how the PD is gonna go. Winnie the Pooh enters the PD in January. Regardless of the Mickey Mouse copyrights, Disney's probably gonna fight over losing exclusivity to a major cash cow
>>
>>126357218
Only three and a half months left to get that passed through
>>
>>126357218
There's some debate about whether Pooh goes PD in 2022 or 2026

If they allow it to be PD in the US because its US edition was published in 1925 then it'd just be PD in the US next year

But if they're adhering to UK law because it was first published in the UK, then it'd go PD in 2026

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.