[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Were Carl and Pops good additions to Johnny Bravo?
>>
>>126333755
The seasons without them were fucking trash.
>>
>>126333755
Definitely, it proved that the creator didn’t know shit once he returned.
>>
Pops was hilarious.
>>
>>126333755
They both fit so naturally as foils for Johnny it only further confirmed Van Partible wasn't the man to run his own show.
>>
>>126333755
what episode was this?
>>
>>126333953
>The titular character does nothing but watch as talking animals and has-been celebrities hog all the scenes and jokes
I'll take a functioning retard Johnny over a non-entity Johnny every time. Partible never should have left that hotel he was working at after CN sacked him.
>>
>>126333755
I hate Johnny Bravo but little him is a lot cute
>>
They were good compared to the first season which was boring as shit.
>>
>>126333755
in the earlier seasons, yes.
but as with most shows, they became a bit flanderized as time went on.
>>
>>126334613
The earlier seasons? Plural? 'Cause they're only active players in S2 & S3 and pretty consistent in those.
I'm too intrigued as to what constitutes "Flanderized" for Johnny Bravo given that when said seasons turned Johnny himself into a full on imbecile it was infinitely for the better
>>
>>126333755
Yes. Having characters Johnny can bounce off with helped give him more character than just being a representative of the audience watching the background characters and celebrities do crazy shit.

Why do you think the most memorable JB moments on YouTube come from seasons 2-3?

>>126334655
>flanderized
Pops and Carl came into season 2. Season 1 only had Johnny, Bunny and Suzy as main characters. And if it's about Johnny's character. Him becoming a imbecile was the best thing to happen to the show. It became infinitely funnier and much better to watch and see Johnny's interactions with the people rather than see him react to what the prominent character of the episode does.
>>
One thing that both Partible and Tingblad definitely agreed on was that Jungle Boy sucked.
>>
>>126335618
Wasn't he forced upon Partible because at the time CN insisted on every show having a B segment?
>>
>>126333755
Good enough that I didn't even remember that they weren't there from the start.
>>
>>126335644
Van kept using Jungle Boy in Johnny episodes, so clearly he thought at the time that the kid was funny enough for crossovers. No mention of him in Van's bible for the Season 2 he never made, though, so he obviously rethought his stance and realized Jungle Boy was a dud.
>>
>>126335618
>>126335644
It was a holdover from the Hanna Barbera days, like Justice Friends.
>>
>>126335905
Justice Friends was funny. That's the difference.
>>
>>126333953
The april fools episode is among my favorites, it's pure joy every minute.
>OH NO, Carl is dead. And my fingerprints are all over the glass!
>>
>>126333755
Absolutely. Those were the funniest seasons.
>>
Can I just say how much I love that s2 and 3 are rightfully thought of as the best seasons now? Found that shit hilarious as a kid but every cunt online was all 'not muh Johnny Bravo' and heralded Partible's seasons as untouchable.
>>
>>126333755
they were better than donny osmond
>>
>>126333755
yes
>>
>>126333888
blessed numbers
>>
>>126333755
>make a show
>name character after yourself
>get fired
>some people consider the best seasons of your show to be the ones you couldnt touch
>>
>>126333755
I was always baffled by the art change. But then it changes back in the third season
>>
>>126333755
Yes. Carl seems like a bad addition at first but you soon learn to appreciate his presence.
>>
>>126336756
Season 1 has some all time greats like Sensitive Male that can mislead people into thinking it's superior, but the greats are few and far between. The rest are completely fucking retarded shit like Chronos the Bear or the guy in the cat costume who steals yarn. Bizarre stuff, and not in an absurd amusing way like weird episodes of Dexter's Lab. Just dumb episodes.
>>
>>126336756
Hell yes, about damn time. People kept bringing up how Johnny wasn't anywhere as dumb in the Partible seasons but like...Is character depth the reason anyone tuned into the show? Folks correlate The Simpsons' downfall with Homer growing more idiotic but that doesn't mean the exact same scenario applies equally to all media. Flanderization can be the best damn thing that ever happened to a show if it's pulled with panache. Tingblad freaking nailed it.
>>
>>126337964
What's funnier is that Johnny's MORE of a character in S2/S3. A supreme idiot but now he was the driving force behind the show, as opposed to enacting, for the most part, a passive bystander raising his eyebrow as talking animals and guest stars ages past their prime hogged the spotlight.
>>
>>126333953
he rather have Donny Osmand and Jungle Boy play off Johnny
>>
File: 1633475253897.jpg (138 KB, 735x873)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Where can I watch this show? Haven't seen it since I was a kid
>>
1 and 4 seasons are awful.
>>
>>126333755
Yes. Next question.
>>
>>126333888
do you mean Seth McFarland
>>
>>126337616
>Chronos the Bear
But I liked the Chronos episode... always laughed at how the heck a bear would proclaim himself "master of time".
>>
>>126338377
in the case you're not making a joke, the creator was fired after season 1, they were fired in season 2-3 because the of a station takeover, and were let back on in season 4
>>
>>126338191
And Jungle Boy's six animal friends in the background taking up the spotlight with their awful dialogue. The fact that he brought back the funny animals during the Christmas special is so fucking baffling, why did he think they were funny?
>>
>>126334613
>they became a bit flanderized as time went on.

It's really hard to flanderize someone who's only in half of the series.
>>
What I wanna know is, why did they hire Partible back for S4? Wasn't Tingblad giving them good results? And even if they weren't satisfied with Tingblad's work, what made them re-hire the same guy who had already showed himself incapable of running this very show to their approval?
>>
>>126339287
CN put the show on hiatus after season 3 and Tingblad left and went on to work on the animation department of various Warner Bros. Cartoons like Justice League, Duck Dodgers and Static Shock. And with Tingblad busy, they were searching for a new showrunner for the 4th season and found out Partible is free and without a job.
>>
>>126339287
Same reason why they gave Dexter's Lab to Savino: they didn't want the show's success to end and were willing to let anybody take over.
>>
>>126339287
he wasnt fired for ratings or anything, warner took over the station and wanted their own guy on top. it was on hiatus, the takeover happened, and they greenlit 2-3
there was another hiatus for 4, and i think tingbald was busy with other shit by then
they probably just got partible back because he was available
>>
>>126333755
was bollywood a good addition to johnny bravo?
>>
Season 1 and 4 had the best female designs though
>>
>>126339592
The only joke I recall being funny was Mama Bravo telling the Indian kids that Americans were good at being untrained detectives, as a riff on Scooby-Doo and its many copycats involving youthful crime-solvers
>>
>>126333755
I liked them both, my favorite episodes where from that season.
>>
I thought it was bizarre because Johnny turns into such a repugnant character that nobody would want to be around him. At least S1 Johnny had some semblance of a soul when he wasn't trying to pick up chicks. I guess making him a total idiot made plots easy, but the show always had an odd premise for kids.
>>
>>126339768
This, Johnny was flanderize for those 2 seasons. Only in the first and last season could you actually see what Johnny was suppose to be like. To also note Johnny had better chances at getting dates in the first and last season
>>
>>126339844
>you could actually see what johnny was supposed to be like
>while he was hanging out with mr t, richard simmons, and fred flintsone
>>
>>126339922
Those episodes were bad, Mmmkay, but overall they are part of a season that treated Johnny bravo character better
>>
>>126339592
I don't remember enough of this movie to say anything.
>>
>>126339959
Yeah, by treating him as not a character at all.
>>
>>126339709
>>126339592
apparently there was a notably different tv episode titled the exact same thing was also made, and only was released with english subtitles in Australia of all places?
>>
They were better than the annoying little neighbor girl

Springham Johnny Bravo > Partible Johnny Bravo
>>
>>126339287
Partible talks about it in an interview that I can't seem to find anymore. After CN, he struggled to find work and eventually worked at a hotel doing grunt work or something along those lines. He wanted to get back into cartooning, so he made a couple of pitch bibles and took them to CN. The studio had no interest in those new shows, but said they were looking for a showrunner for S4 of Johnny Bravo and if he was interested in re-joining.
>>
>>126340269
it seems so weird, looking at his wiki page, he was like literally surrounded by "like 5 cunts who ran cartoons for nearly a decade", was hired onto a big company, given his own show at a very young age, all that shit that should have made him the same as mccracken or even fucking mcfarland. same time, same group of people, same schooling

makes me wonder what he fucked up behind the scenes, or if it was just abysmal luck compared to the rest
>>
>>126340568
What gets me is that by the time he came back, he likely would have figured out his failings with Johnny and tried to improve even without Tingblad's help, but instead he just doubled-down harder and tanked it all.
>>
>>126333755
They weren't bad but making Johnny a retard instead of a womanizer ruined it.
>>
>>126340568
He talks about it in the same interview, he was the ONLY one of the creators who got their "What a Cartoon" pilot greenlit who had zero experience. And I mean zero, no commercial work, no experience as a director for minor projects, nothing. CN or Warner Brothers or whoever was in charge at that time wanted someone with more experience as a showrunner going forward with future Johnny Bravo seasons, that's why they got Tingblad who was already very experienced at this point.

McCracken already had experience from Two Stupid Dogs and assisted in several other What a Cartoon productions while doing his own. You can see his names show up all over the place in early CN before he became PPG's showrunner. McFarlane never got his pilot picked up by CN and only got writer jobs. He got to showrun Family Guy the entire time because FOX just functioned differently I suppose, and didn't mind a guy with a short resume running a show. I mean, they did cancel FG three times, so it's not like they were looking at it as their next big line-up.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0663972/
You can even check Van's IMBD and see how incredibly empty it is.
>>
>>126339768
Sounds like you're saying his character was more of a nice guy in the Partible seasons, but in a goofy comedy, that doesn't really make for a good character.

Especially in a comedy for kids, a bumbling guy who actively gets himself into hijinks is a much more solid character.
>>
>>126339665
How
>>
>>126340877
What's great is that I enjoy the Tingblad seasons better as an adult than I did as a kid
Especially in the based Mexican dub that added tons of jokes not in the original script
>>
>>126340739
Have you legit watched the series nowadays?
>>
>>126333755
Best seasons. Great slapstick and writing. Maybe I'll rewatch it someday to see what I didn't get as a kid.
>>
>>126340568
Like >>126340813 says best, guys like McCracken and Genndy already had industry experience as writers, storyboard artists and directors at Hanna-Barbera before they got their job.

Partible was the only What A Cartoon! winner and Cartoon Cartoon creator without any industry experience. Genndy, McCracken, Feiss and Dilworth all had industry experience.

Partible was so inexperienced, Joseph Barbera was delegated to mentor Partible and teach him how to showrun a show.
>>
>>126343598
>Joseph Barbera was delegated to mentor Partible and teach him how to showrun a show.
Sounds like he accidentally had an opportunity of a lifetime in that instance, even though the situation that led to this needing to happen fucked him over in the end.
>>
>>126333755
No
>>
>>126343710
Partible did say that working on Johnny Bravo and with Barbera as his mentor did learn him a whole lot and he brought over that experience to season 4.
>>
>>126336756
People actually liked S1? As a kid I mostly found those episodes to be a snore but really Johnny Bravo wasn't anything special, even the good seasons were just ok at best.
>>
>>126333820
>>126333888
>>126333953
Look how they massacred my boy pop’s restaurant.
>>
>>126346408
Partible really, and I mean REALLY hated seasons 2 and 3. He doesn't hide how much he despises those seasons. How much he hated seeing new episodes of HIS show while he was stuck in a dead end job.
And he especially hated the inclusions of Pop and Carl.

But even he learned that those 2 have become too beloved to remove, so he just downplayed their roles instead.
>>
>>126345715
And he ultimately learned nothing, seeing as how he made the same mistakes as before with the show. For starters, you've got to make the main character actually do stuff.
>>
>>126346498
>And he ultimately learned nothing, seeing as how he made the same mistakes as before with the show.
Just like John K.
>>
seasons 1 and 4 are just bad
>>
>>126346498
It's funny that it was Partible himself that not only brought down, but also killed his own show
>>
Why was Partible fired?
>>
>>126346586
Part of that lies with CN. Tingblad turned Johnny from a one-season failure to one of the network's biggest faces (remember JBVO?), so when Tingblad left, they were so desperate to keep that success going that they figured they could take another chance on Partible.
>>
>>126346623
As being one of the most inexperienced Cartoon Network showrunners at the time, Partible became an victim of the mass firings caused by Warner Bros. takeover of Turner Broadcasting.
>>
>>126346626
>they were so desperate to keep that success going that they figured they could take another chance on Partible.
If they wanted that success to keep going, why didn't they fucking greenlight the 4th season immediately instead of putting it on hiatus and force Tingblad to go back to Warner Bros?
>>
>>126345715
Partible is either not self aware at all or in denial if he legit thinks he made the show better in S4 than he did in S1
Actually, knowing he had Barbera as a personal mentor makes me wonder if he didn't learn the most superficial lessons from it, which would explain the abundance of talking animals and guest stars
>>
>>126340568
He also made a failed pilot for Disney:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=cuSDyxeKlrY
>>
>>126346456
Are there interviews or articles where he states his hate openly?
>>126345756
S2&S3 might actually be more hilarious as an adult than as a kid
>>
>>126346922
I refuse to believe he thought he could make a whole show with this
>>
>>126346456
>How much he hated seeing new episodes of HIS show while he was stuck in a dead end job.

No matter how I feel about season 1 and 4, that IS a pretty shit situation to find yourself in.
>>
>>126335618
It's always been so baffling to me, people still talk about Johnny Bravo all the time to this day but absolutely nobody ever brings up Jungle Boy. I don't think there's anyone out there who likes and/or fondly remembers his segments, they're so completely absent from the collective consciousness that I sometimes almost convince myself I imagined them.
>>
I don't remember the 4th season
>>
Reminder that Johnny Bravo got a special made for India in 20 fucking 11.
>>
>>126347004
Jungle Boy was just one pilot and a few crossover appearances with JB here and there. It wasn’t as prominent as Dial M for Monkey, Justice Friends, or I Am Weasel.
>>
>>126347004
Cause nobody talks about S1 due to how forgettable it is.
>>
File: R (4).jpg (297 KB, 750x1045)
297 KB
297 KB JPG
>>126347075
Forgot the picture.
>>
>>126347075
>>126347174
Already mentioned. >>126339592
>>
>>126347038
It was absolutely forgettable. Even more forgettable than season 1.

Partible wanted to do season 1 over again, but didn't have the crew members with him that gave it a bit of its charm (Hartman, MacFarlane, Marmel, Petkov, McIntyre). Plus, he couldn't use most of the season 2-3 crew, because they also moved on (Grillo, Spingarn, Kozlowski, Crane).

It also doesn't help people expected s4 to be just like s2 & s3 - you know, the seasons that made JB popular. But these fans got s1-styled JB instead.
>>
>>126347320
Craig Bartlett worked on S4.
>>
>>126347320
S4 got the creator of Hey Arnold! of all people.
>>
File: chicken bravo.jpg (39 KB, 736x732)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>126347359
>>126347364
>Bartlett was involved in the writing of half of season 4's episode
So that what he was doing besides working on a failed movie pilot for CN
>>
>>126347488
Should have made Jungle Movie.
>>
I dare say anyone who thinks the Partible seasons better hasn't watched the show in ages, especially concerning S4 which doesn't even have the odd homerun like S1 did
>>
>>126346408
I wouldn't have minded Pops having a food cart that looked like a mini diner just to have an excuse for Pops to show up where ever you want him to, like in the middle of Canada just to give Johnny advice.
>>
File: dancersofwar2-580x390.jpg (40 KB, 580x390)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>126346922
Partible also tried to make a game called "Dangers of War" with YET ANOTHER big muscular goofy character as the lead.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/games/johnny-bravo-creator-van-partible-talks-about-new-dance-combat-game-98524.html

It's almost impressive how incredibly one-note he is.
>>
File: 1465971.jpg (82 KB, 400x300)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>126348707
S4 actually has my favorite episode of the whole series, "Run Johnny Run", where Johnny keeps arriving late to a blind date that he uses a remote control to rewind the episode to try and arrive early. It's also the only good episode in that entire season.
>>
>>126346408
I didn't even know Pops was in season 4.
>>
Yes they were great. Didn't they get rid of Pops though? I remember not seeing him in later seasons.
>>
>>126333755
Yes. And while I prefer Tingblad, I also think that Partible had his merits as well.
>>
>>126349327
>Depeche Mode member
How does Partible get access to so many famous people?
>>
>>126349656
Pretty much. What few scenes he got were mute cameos.
>>
How did Johnny never get laid? He was literally chad before chad was a thing
>>
>>126352016
>Amazon women need Johnny as a virgin sacrifice to throw to their volcano
>"Uh... virgin?"
>>
File: Pops_Season_4.png (740 KB, 1012x736)
740 KB
740 KB PNG
>>126346923
While he didn't outright state his hatred for the Tingblad seasons, but he did say it was like "being forced to give up your baby for adoption and watching it go to parents who were making choices you didn’t agree with" according to this article.

https://magazine.lmu.edu/articles/in-and-out-of-toon/
>>
>>126350383
Johnny Bravo season 1 was a cult hit. It was basically an adult cartoon in all but actual adult elements It especially helps that there were a ton of elements then young adults would've been nostalgic for.
>>
>>126340568
I think Partible spent some time executive producing shows for Cartoon Network Asia and moved on to more of an executive/behind the scenes role.
>>
The episode all 3 of them became firefighters is a masterpiece. You can’t convince me otherwise.
>>
>>126335618
Jungle Boy was based.
>>
>>126335618

Essentially I.M. Weasel is Jungle Boy but more fleshed out and developed in the character dynamic.
>>
>>126333755

Reminder that before Partible got fired, him and Seth made a pitch bible for S2 on what it could have been if they were still on the production.
Pops was originally going to be that “Man with No Name” that appeared in the Jumbo Johnny episode.
Carl was going to be a Jim Dandy who was basically Donny Osmand.

https://archive.org/details/johnny-bravo-season-2-bible
>>
>>126353698
>Literally a Donny Osmond recolor

Yikes
>>
>>126353698
Seth MacFarlane repurposed this character for Family Guy (the salesman who’s always taking advantage of Peter).
>>
>>126349488
Not the anon you're replying to but that sounds intriguing, will check out
>>
File: popsseason4.png (854 KB, 1000x727)
854 KB
854 KB PNG
>>126349615
he only appeared in one episode and didn't even speak
>>
>>126352367
Thanks for the article. Perhaps my biggest surprise is finding out a religious man creates Johnny Bravo of all things.
>>
>>126347004
jungle boy was so popular even partable left him out
>>
>>126355395
With his distinctive bald head covered he's not even afforded the dignity of a fully recognizable cameo
>>
>>126333755
Yes
>>
>>126333953
>Jonny is better without Partible
>Ren and Stimpy is better without John K
Why are the flag ship shows of early CN/Nick better without their creators?
>>
>>126357058
>Dexter's Lab
>Powerpuff Girls
>Rugrats
Are you sure about this
>>
>>126357080
OK, maybe Dexter was bigger than Jonny but PPG came after Jonny and Rugrats, at first was less popular than R&S at first but it did over shadow it later
>>
>>126357174
Oh I more meant that those shows suffered without their creators
>>
>>126352016
>t. never watched the second WAC! short
>>
>>126346408
NO
>>
>>126333755
The episode with the water balloon fight was apparently the hardest I ever laughed at anything as a kid
>>
>>126339665
>that she hulk one
>>
>>126358752
put it on because you mentioned it and kek'd at johnny saying he was going to burn a hole in the sun by reflecting ants at it
>>
File: _0-4 screenshot.png (433 KB, 640x480)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
LOOK ANONS! HE'S LOOKING AT PICTURES OF ALMOST NAKED MEN!!!!
>>
>>126357058
>Ren and Stimpy is better without John K
Not really. The Games episodes were a step down in quality.
>>
>>126359109
Johnny saying "I want to look like them, not at them" really stuck with me.
>>
>>126359113
Ren and Stimpy is best with John K but with John on a short leash.
>>
>>126359472
This is the only right answer.
>>
>>126346922
>No way, I love this song
there, got one chuckle from the whole thing
and then of course they overplay it
>>
>>126349488
>S4 actually has my favorite episode of the whole series, "Run Johnny Run"
Underrated subgenre of later 90s zeitgeist, the "make a parody of Run Lola Run". Not as remembered as "make a parody of the Matrix" from the early 2000s.
>>
C'mon guys, Partible got some good gags.
>>
>>126333755
>Waiter, there's a fly in my soup
>Welcome to Pop's!
Yes
>>
>>126360505
>Johnny: Aw man! I'm a fly and even I'm revolting.
>>
>>126359113
And APC was a step down from Games so it balances out
>>
File: _0-57 screenshot.png (860 KB, 1920x1080)
860 KB
860 KB PNG
https://youtu.be/dfiVHhYtZ2M?t=44

This whole exchange between Johnny asking Pops if he's a gentleman always cracked me up.
>>
>>126362258
It suprises me how rich Pops is and the illegal things he has possibly done
>>
>>126362667
I remember an episode where he was getting his lackey to slaughter pandas out back for making panda jerky to serve in the diner.
>>
>>126362258
HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M SPOONMAN
>>
>>126352367
He could have still taken notes on what to do to improve on his own Johnny based on Tingblad's decisions, but he insisted on sticking with what was already proven to not work and it cost him in the end.
>>
Partible's seasons weren't as bad as people say. The first one especially had some iconic moments and great gags.

The last few seasons had some great moments too, but they felt like a step backwards. The least they could've done was bring back Jungle Boy so the secondary cast didn't feel so empty.
>>
>>126333755
I fucking hated Carl with all of my being. Might as well be why I think the show is so average.
>>
>>126355395
Ironically enough, that was also the best episode of Partible's return. I guess Pops really *was* the secret to the show's success.
>>
>Season 1 Johnny Bravo is hated now

Why though? I remember enjoying both it and Tingblad seasons although I never watched season 4.
>>
>>126363140
>remember
Try watching it again nowadays. Season 1 is still alright enough 'cause you have the likes of Butch Hartman and Seth McFarlane spicing up the series, so you're bound to find episodes of your liking; but among the greats there are various episodes that are just a bore, that are just dumb and not in an amusing way.
Still, S1 is infinitely better than S4, where the staff that elevated Partible's showrunning is gone and he doubles down on the worst vices of S1
>>
>>126346456
>But even he learned that those 2 have become too beloved to remove, so he just downplayed their roles instead.
I'm pretty sure they appear once for 2 seconds.
>>
>>126333755
What was of Tingblad after S3? Honestly, they should've had given the keys back to Partible and kept him at an irrelevant position where he had no real control.
Was the Bollywood movie even good?
>>
All I know is I watched a season 4 episode and I felt oddly hollow. It was the sort of dumb that made me aware I was losing my time. Way to nail the escapism Partible.
>>
>>126349291
Honestly anon, that's a genius idea and shows you had more brains than Partible to handle Pops' character.
>>
>>126353698
Wait so Van is partly responsible for Carl's creation?
The fuck did he hate Carl then? A literal Donny Osmond palette swap would've been boring.
>>
>>126363483
I really hated the hospital episode, and still do. The one from S1.
>>
>>126348707
I liked "That’s Entertainment" but it was a missed opportunity not to have Carl, Pops, or even Johnny tell a story.
>>
>>126366110
Donny Osmond shows up and now seeing the S2 pitch bible, it's obvious because Partible wanted Carl to be Osmond.
>>
>>126363140
I like season 1 but it’s more due to nostalgia than it being funny.

I didn’t like the changes in S2 at first but I got used to them.
>>
Why can't people just admit S2&3 are good without jumping to the opposite extreme by calling S1 trash? My favourite episodes were the ones where Johnny isn't a total retard.
>>
>>126359453

It was "look like this, not at this"

>I have nothing to be ashamed about
>TV Guide

Partible's Johnny Bravo (Seasons 1 and 4) felt like modern day Hanna-Barbera show (the large amount of guest stars) while seasons 2 and 3 (the Springham era) felt more like a contemporary cartoon
>>
>>126342480
VIVA CUATEMOCHAS
>>
>>126340877
Solid, maybe. There's a reason Beavis and Butthead lasted longer despite having the same premise of a clueless guy trying to get chicks, it's because those teens are relatable. Homer is relatable. Johnny never really was. I guess the Tingblad seasons were trying a different comedic angle of Johnny being a stupid jerk instead of just clueless and unlucky. Dan vs. hit the mark more because he's the underdog as often as he is the instigator, and his goals are more varied than women or vanity. But it's tough to communicate that a buff stud would be an underdog so we're just left with the show we had.
Sorry for rambling, just thinking about how odd it was that Johnny got picked out of all those other What a Cartoon shorts.
>>
>>126362002
Ren Seeks Help was good and Naked Beach Frenzy is a guilty pleasure.
>>
Johnny was actually amazingly popular among my sister's friends back in the day, college-aged girls.
They thought his stupidity rather than malice was adorable, from S2 and S3.
>>
File: Laughing dorks.png (119 KB, 800x510)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>126362964
>Wait, you guys can fly?
>We're the Don Knotts, Blue Falcon, Weird Al experience. We can do anything!
>>
>>126366366
It's just how things are here, people can't like something without simultaneously disliking something else. See also: the constant, forced tribalism rivalries between whatever little girl shows are airing on Disney in any given year.
>>
>>126367075
Nerds elevate themselves from others they deem to have inferior taste is an easy way to feel pride, superiority and belonging without actually doing anything.
>>
I enjoyed the first 3 seasons, it was the last one that felt odd, what with the sudden shift in character designs yet again, and things like Osmond once more being present.
As for Carl and Pops as characters, they were plenty amusing. I loved the joke with Carl emerging from the ocean covered in seaweed. Though I haven't been able to remember the entire line Johnny says, just that he notes Carl's annoying breathing and other traits before "unmasking" him
>>
>>126367152
Really does just go to prove that "taste' really is a meme/buzzword
>>
>>126366366
Few are calling S1 outright trash, just saying it's below Tingblad's work, less funny in comparison
S4 yeah most are calling it trash but for the most part can you blame them?
>>
>>126366879
Sure but then there were good Games episodes too
>>
>>126366922
Yeah same. No one perceived him as an actual threat which I guess kept him endearing, as opposed to, say, Pepe Le Pew, who often got his way
>>
>>126366366
This is a thread directly discussing two characters who only showed up for 2+3 and not for 4 because the creator hated them because he wanted the show to go back to S1 roots.
>>
>>126362258
>"Not Johnny, he eats soup with his fingers."
>*sluuuurp* "Its a lie!:"
Some reason that cracked me up. I think its Johnny's delivery.
>>
File: images (4) (4).jpg (44 KB, 388x790)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>
>>126370536
Great pacing too
>>
I loved seasons 1 through 3, can't remember season 4 much. Carl and Pops were good additions. Pops had some of the best gags.
>>
>>126355290
>>
>>126362964
Still doesn't compare to Mark Hamill voicing a smart-mouthed lobster that Johnny's trying to cook for his aunt's birthday.
>"Gimme a rump of cow, and I wanna hear it moo!"
>>
>>126333755
Carl was worth it for that bully flashback alone.
>>
>>126355290
Not too surprising, Seth had created quite a few characters that would ultimately get realized in FG, like the prototype Peter and Brian from that Larry and Steve he pitched for What-a-cartoon
>"You will be indirectly responsible for the resulting euthanasia"
>"Oh boy they've got enough kids over there as it is"
>>
>>126366838
I think a lot of the reason it worked with Johnny was that his dumbing down didn't feel too noticeable, at least not like other flanderized characters like say post DNAlien Ben 10 who just went from being pretty confident to original series Ben 2.0 that it felt like a hard reset of his character in some ways. With Johnny, he was already something of an idiot in the first season, just more careless and clueless, and season 2 simply played up those traits with his ramped up narcissism
>>
>>126333755
I'd argue they fit even better than Susie does.
>>
>>126375652
Susie was fine, but could only do so much given she was a kid and thus didn't have much versatility as a character compared to a peer like Carl or a parental figure like Pops
>>
>>126375931
When I was a kid, I legit couldn't tell Susie was still Susie on season 2. Not only did they changed her voice in that season, but her design and personality was so drastically different. I always preferred her S1 design but S2 gave her more than "precocious crush on Johnny".
>>
>>126365956
>Wait so Van is partly responsible for Carl's creation?
>The fuck did he hate Carl then?

Because Carl plays a different kind of foil to Johnny than a hypothetical Jim Dandy would. Carl is more positive than Johnny but his main foil aspect is that he's smarter and nerdier than Johnny, who's goofier in season 2/3. Jim Dandy plays on Johnny's coolness and flaws like being lazy and scheming, being more of a cornball but nice and hardworking. He wouldn't actually contribute to Johnny's actual adventures besides showing up to maybe drive the action

Generally I'd say Partible felt like Johnny should've had a more rotating cast and setting than stick to a regular one. Season 2's pitch feels like Cartoon Network asked for one, but even in the pitch they insist Johnny's a solo character, who's adventures are driven by his own actions. Its more ambitious but higher risk, having a set cast and roles helped the riffs come out smoother for Season 2/3.
>>
File: 1317964309966.jpg (34 KB, 505x492)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Partible seasons felt like really bad FG skits. Also I cannot stand the rounded art style for the life of me. Tingbald seasons felt like true "90's" cartoons, with the right amount of slapstick and somewhat cheeky humor.
>>
>>126353698
>>126355290
Seth's involvement really explains why the Partible seasons were so dependent on guest stars. Where did Seth's obsession with celebrities come from?
>>
>>126376540
Real life
>>
>>126334655
Hold on, I didn't know about this. I don't remember the show not having Carl and pops. What's the rundown?
>>
>>126377590
Zoom
>>
>>126376540
Seth also explains the obsession with talking animals.
>>
>>126345756
Season 1 has some decent episodes like the one where Johnny thought time was stopped for everyone but him, the Scooby-Doo episode, and the Adam west episode but 2 and 3 are much better
>>
>>126378189
True

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.