[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Lets take a quick break from the Eternals ongoing with a one-shot in the past by Gillen and Dustin Weaver(hell yeah)
>>
>>125759880
>>
>>
>>
>>125759905
Mmmmm tasty Kirby goodness
>>
>>
>>
>>
Bumps appreaciated
>>
>>
>>125759880
Alternating between main issues and one shots?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>125759986
Maybe? I feel like next month is another one shot about the Eternals meeting the Avengers 1,000,000 BC(fuck Aaron) before we're back to the ongoing?
>>
>>125759942
Just realized this isn't the original Kirby Ikaris design, I really dig it as an alt costume. Reminds me of like a He-Man battleizer
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>125759963
bump bump
>>
>>125760061
Oh shit, this is from that Last Annihilation: Wiccan and Hulking one-shot! Nice!
>>
>>
>>
>>125760116
;_;
>>
>>
Surprised we didn't even get a panel of Starfox desu. Also wasn't their birth name Eron, not Eros?
>>
>>125760043
So Uranos was connected to Eternity?
>>
>>125760170
Kinda, he became an abstract.

that said, I really do not like Gillen's take on the Eternals. It's not bad, but it would work better as out-of-continuity.
>>
>>125759880
>Gillen
Where are my gay teens?
>>
>>125760485
Best I can give you is gendefluid Eternals and monsterfuckers
>>
>>125760130

This is ... brutal. I have no love or even like any Eternity stuff, but damn does this make X-Men look like saints.
>>
>>125759880
>didn't put storytime in the subject

op...
>>
Man Gillen is one of the most boring writers in comics. This reads like a technical manual or instructions on how to connection your new fridge. No passion and all the characters are planks of wood.
>>
So this is the new big "let's try to guess what the movie is like and make the comics that way" for Eternals. I'll laugh so hard when it backfires like it did every other time.
>>
>>125760577
FUCK
Was wondering why it was so quiet to other Eternals storytimes
>>
>>125760656
Bro synergy books that make the comics more like the movies have been dead since GotG. The most you'll get is surface level stuff like characters genders
>>
>>125759930
>final host
Boy, that was shit.
>>
>>125760695
>Carol still Captain Marvel
>Coulson still around
>Sam Jackso Nick Fury still around
>Hawkeye still in movie costume
>Gamora is still the crappy movie version in both appearance and personality

Synergy isn't dead, they just stopped making distinct comics for it.
>>
>>125760669
This is just as quiet as other Eternals storytimes
>>
>>125760725
This is pretty much all the fallout of early 10's synergy stuff. We haven't had any outright new synergy in like 5 years.
>>
File: RCO016.jpg (816 KB, 1332x2048)
816 KB
816 KB JPG
>>125760074
So much for continuity
>>
File: Et1.jpg (206 KB, 1200x1825)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
Preview for Celestia
>>
>>125760812
>Cates
>>
File: et2.jpg (415 KB, 1200x1822)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
>>125760824
>>
>>125760695
Changing makkari's gender to fit the movies and giving everyone the looks of their actors seems pretty blatant to me.
>>
File: et3.jpg (312 KB, 1200x1822)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>125760836
>>
File: et4.jpg (365 KB, 1200x1822)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>125760850
>>
>>125760843
Yeah, but nothing here is changing anything about characterizations or storylines to become closer to the films the same way they had to boot out old Fury for his son, or make the GotG a bunch of dumbasses.
Also outside of Makkari's and Sprites gender switch, none of em look anything like their actors. Kengo's still asian and Ikaris still has his blonde mop
>>
File: et5.jpg (365 KB, 1200x1822)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>125760860
>>
File: 1630557352289.jpg (694 KB, 2000x2000)
694 KB
694 KB JPG
Still mad about the fact that Ikairs' movie costume woulda been close to perfect if it weren't for the fact the MCU hates gloves and they didn't stick to the 2 tone shit
>>
File: file.png (2.68 MB, 1920x1038)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB PNG
>>125760896
He looks pretty good with long hair as well
>>
>>125760875
They made sersi ugly and frumpy like the movie tho. She's always been a bubbly slut in the comics.
>>
>>125760907
>ugly
That's just Esad Ribic. Also Gemma Chan is cute as fuck
>>
>>125759893
>>125759905
>>125759930
>Thanos was born after 200,000 BC
So I guess that even though Gillen is forced to acknowledge the Cavengers bullshit, he is ignoring the Teen Thanos being around 1 million years ago thing.
>>
>>125761014
Aaron's comics are only canon to other Aaron comics. Nothing else.
>>
>>125759905
Fuck yeah! Dino-Riders done up Kirby-esque is something I didn't know I was missing!
m(><)m
>>
>>125760164
Yeah, it's weird how they totally skipped over Starfox. He is proof that Eternals breeding doesn't necessarily lead to bad things.
>>
>>125759963
>Bumps appreaciated
>>
>>125761038
I think cates also considered them canon but I can't think of any other writes of Marvel who Aknolage anything he has done
>>
>>125760860
FFS
>>
>>125760361
Whats so bad about this? its the first time someone is actually doing something interesting with them and making the stupid continuity snarl Starlin and co created after Kirby finally make sense.
The only thing fucking left from this mess is the marvel boy nonsense with the uranians.
>>
>>125759905
I wish Dustin Weaver did more interior more often this looks great.
>>
>>125759883
>Eternals don't breed
>Zuras and A'lars are sons of Kronos
>Thena is a daughter of Zuras
>Ikaris is a son of Virako
>Druig is a son of Valkin
Is Giller retarded?
>>
>>125762302
They literally explain it in 5 pages
>>
>>125760812
You have to be kidding, Cates is a hack writer who only cares about his shit continuity, he barely ever does any research on the characters he writes. Don't use his comics as examples.
>>
>>125761014
Should be noted that the bullshit with Teen Thanos is actually an alternate timeline, it wasn't meant to be 616 Thanos in this chronology, but rather a multiversal version. Still stupid but slightly less so.
>>
>>125762314
Still retarded tho. Why do they mess up Eternals' lore so much?
>>
>>125762469
You said it was retarded, obviously making yourself look stupid as it's explained, and you still bitch. It is what is is, most people don't care that much about the changes like you., hell most people don't care about the Eternals in general which is why they can be refined for the casuals that'll pick up this run once the movie comes out.
>>
>>125760945
>Also Gemma Chan is cute as fuck
Even as a blue Kree she's hot as fuck.

>>125761611
You forgot that most of the recons were done by Gruenwald in What If?, especially the Uranians.

>>125762429
The deepest I've ever seen him at digging for lore is probably his use of the Black Winter from Kirby's original run in Thor. Sadly, he missed the boat there.
>>
>>125760130
So basically the morale of the story is that Thanos was a cosmic mistake that never should have happened, and his parents are equally as big fuck ups for conceiving him despite constant warning.
>>
>>125762562
The Black Winter wasn't even a real thing back then, and he actually didn't use the sequence of events that led to Galactus universe's destruction, he merely stated that something had corrupted and devoured it, that's it. It was such a stupid thing to retcon and I hope no one ever references it again.
>>
>>125762469
Because it's trying to make sense of the shit added over the years. Like why sprite is stuck as kid when every Eternal apparently aged to adulthood and stopped. Or all the stuff added just to make the Titans related to the Eternals. Shit is pretty convoluted.
>>
>>125760130
All this could have been avoided if the Celestials simply made the Eternals with reproduction. But they didn't so they inadvertently created Thanos.
>>
Gillen is such a soiboi.
>>
>>125762636
That's why I said he missed the boat. I also said it was a deep pull/reference because Gruenwald and Byrne ditched that concept for the now popular Galan joining the Sentience of the Universe as seen in Super-Villain Classics #1. Before then Galan was in our universe escaping a galactic plague of radiation called the Black Winter.
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/Origin_of_Galactus_comparison.html
>>
>>125760130
“We also kinda had to revive and re-exclude him in a different cell after the whole Infinity Gauntlet debacle”
>>
>>125759880
But this book sucks ass
>>
>>125762908
You bring an interesting point: the Black Winter actually negates the Sentience of the Universe plot point that every other comic has used since then, so more reason it should be actively ignored.
>>
>>125760656
No he is just extending what Gaiman did with Eternals more than a decade ago. And using the Gaiman retcons to explain stuff like why they have families and how the Uranians/Titans exist.
>>
>>125760061
If sharing quantum bands bow means you're married that makes Mar-Vell and Rick kind of awkward.
>>
>>125760084
>first panel
Also, thanks for the storytime. I've been trying to avoid the Avengers and X-Men like the plague for various reasons, and am branching out to everything else in Marvel just to see what sticks, and I've been more interested to see what's going on with the Eternals.
>>125760124
>>125760130
Jesus, fuck you, Zuras.
>>
>>125760084
Really hate the shit Aaron added to Thanos. I always liked that he just carpet bombed Sui-San along with other Eternals and just not give a shit. This just made it more edgy.
>>
>>125760812
Thank God Gillen is ignoring that, it's fucking stupid, his name has always been Thanos.
>>
>>125760099
Those are quantum bands, Hulkling and Wiccan had Mar-Vell's Nega-bands. The concept is the same but those are different.

Also I hate that ever since Annihilation writers just have anyone wear quantum bands without repercussions. You have to have a peaceful nature to be able to wear them and the quantum bands don't go off easily.
>>
>>125762908 (You)
Here's my part two because in the Jack Kirby Collector, I forget the issue numbers because there is various of them, they try to piece together Kirby's real intention for Galactus' origin. Kirby felt Stan stole the Surfer from him when he published that origin issue with Buscema. It could may well be that the Surfer story would have been between Galan and the Watcher. They breakdown the original art saying that there might have been a deeper connection between the Watcher and Galactus as mentioned in the original Galactus trilogy but it's hard to tell especially with the Bullpen's corrections over the original art. There's this same panel were you see a silhouette of Galactus next to Thor but he's wearing a toga like the Watcher.The question now arises, how was Galan connected to the Watcher because if you remove the dialogue of the page where they find Galan, it seems like they were testing on Galan or did the Bullpen draw a Galactus style headpiece over a panel of the Watcher talking to Thor? The world may never now cause Stan's dialogue says he absorbed cosmic powers.

>>125762986
Yes that interpretation would not work nowadays. People love the whole Eternity/multiverse angle Ewing did in the Ultimates and that's all Gruenwald. I've said this before on other threads, the Marvel Universe is closer to Gruenwald's ideal than Kirby's. All the abstract cosmic was laid out by Gruenwald in Quasar. Ewing is a huge Gruenwald disciple. What I do find weird is how they've all ignored his use of Maelstrom. Gruenwald was building him up to be the next Thanos. The amount of recons he did to hype him was impressive but he hasn't been used at all!
>>
>>125763086
Thanos killing his mom is a retcon going back to the 80s/90s. It wasn't Aaron's idea.

>along with other Eternals

This is Aaron's idea. Even going to the early 2000s, the Titans were still around in PAD's Captain Marvel. It was Aaron who had them all killed off to build up Thanos.
>>
>>125763073
>Jesus, fuck you, Zuras.
He was right in the end though, so he deserves it.
>>
>>125763290
Was he though? Sure Thanos came about, but so was Eros
>>
Hey, everyone. In light of this issue (thank you for posting, OP) and the confusion I see in this thread regarding who did what and what exactly this new issue adds to the continuity we were already familiar with, I've decided to share with you the material from Gruenwald's Untold Tales of the Marvel Universe (published in the classic What If issues #23-30), that shows the work he did to introduce the Eternals into the main 616 continuity, after Kirby wrote them in his Eternals run. This material has been conveniently reprinted as a one shot called Eternals: Secrets from the Marvel Universe, and it can also be found in the latest Eternals omnibus and the Dreaming Celestial Saga trade; I'm only mentioning it because this is canonical and pretty much shapes the intent behind the Eternals as part of the Marvel continuity.

So, let's get started.
>>
>>
>>125763358
Thanks Rod
>>
First, a retelling of Kirby's Space Gods cosmogony tale, with the First Celestial Host.
>>
>>
>>125763389
What a wide watcher
>>
>>
>>125763332
One positive does no erase the absolute massive fuck up that Thanos is. They still shouldn't have done what they did after being warned.
>>
>>
>>125763358
There is also that issue of Captain Marvel by Starlin which had the origin of Alars/Mentor as the brother of Zeus, which was changed in a latter edition by Grunewald and replaced with Zuras and the Eternals.
>>
It should also be noted that this event in history was directly referenced in Waid/Rodriguez' History of the Marvel Universe, you'll see some visual similarities.

>>125763448
That is correct, we'll get to the first appearance of A'lars as an Eternal in a moment.
>>
>>
>>125763332
Eh, Eros is cool and all, but the universe would have been a better place if Thanos didn't exist. So, Zuras was still right.
>>
Now, onto the meat of this issue, and the one that most interests us, the retelling of the first war that drove Kronos and Uranos apart, which is referenced here >>125759930 as the "Uranite Heresy."
>>
>>
>>125763448
Yeah, that's the reason Thanos being an Eternal was never really brought up until recently, because Jim Starlin was the guy who wrote most of Thanos' iconic stories and he didn't come up with the Eternals connection and clearly didn't care for it.
>>
>>
>>
This is the accident that sealed the fate of Chronos and turned him into an Abstract, destroying Titanos in the process. Referenced here >>125760043.
>>
>>125763498
Sure, if you ignore all the other fuckshittery that goes on in the Marvel Universe. Thanos not existing would make everything much less of a headache, but let's not act like there aren't plenty of other existential threats to deal with in his absence.
>>
>>125763531
Starlin's orgin for Thanos was kind of wacky bullshit. he put the greek Gods in orbit around Saturn for no real reason, even though the Greek Gods were already separate characters in Marvel.
other writers did their best to explain what that was about.
>>
And here's the story of the first Uni-Mind, in our chronology. This is where the retelling differs, and you'll see why soon. Suffice to say, the war did not take place, but it does explain the schism between the Olympians and Titanians as a result of a mutual agreement.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>125759905
nice spread
>>
>>
>>125763630
okay, so the idea of multiple generations existing has been retconned. although to be fair, I think Zuras being a second generation was a retcon of a KIrby panel showing the Celestials creating him.
>>
Instead of the argument that takes place here
>>125759963
>>125759983
What we have is the rise of the first Uni-Mind to deal with this conflict. You be the judge as to whether it's better this way or not, but the divergence in opinions that drove them to the two factions separating wasn't known then, they merely state that the two brothers cannot rule together. Now we know why.
>>
>>125763602
Yeah, those are separate threats entirely, but knowing how much shit Thanos as caused over his life, the lives he's ended, breeding Eternals was still a mistake, and if his stupid as fuck father had actually heeded the warnings as many lives wouldn't have been lost. So it was still a massive fuck up that shouldn't happened. So, Zuras can shit talk to his hearts intent.
>>
>>125763422
more like weight watcher
>>
>>125763698
does the current chronology say when Kronos was turned into a cosmic being and stopped being the King Eternal?
Also, Thena just kind of adopted herself into he role of being his granddaughter?
>>
I wish the Weaver cover was the main cover instead of Ribics
>>
What a fucking clusterfuck. Whose idea was to give Eternals to Gillen?
>>
File: 20210915_164337.jpg (918 KB, 990x1503)
918 KB
918 KB JPG
>>125763797
>>
File: Thanos Killer.png (2.52 MB, 877x1329)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB PNG
>>125763249
>>125763086
You are correct.

Starlin himself retconned Thanos to have been born evil during his return to Marvel in the Silver Surfer title. In issue 37 the Surfer goes to Mentor to learn more about Thanos and we find out he murdered his own mother at age 10. This in clear retcon to the original were he was just kind of distraught for being an outcast and returned as a conqueror.
>>
>>125763800
Absolutely none of this is a clusterfuck. I say this as a newcomer to the Eternals franchise, probably the demographic Marvel wants to cash in on the most thanks to the movies. It's all pretty strightforward, so I think you're just bitching for the sake of it.
>>
>>125763800
It was either him, Aaron or Cates. Ewing's fully loaded right now
>>
File: file.png (1.06 MB, 1016x851)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
I could post the other pages that deal with the Uranian Eternals, but that's the last we see of the Titanian faction >>125763698 as told by Gruenwald, effectively sealing Thanos, his brother and A'lars/Mentor as Eternals offshoots.
>>125763732
It is assumed that it took place 500,000 years ago in Marvel continuity, way longer of a gap than in the original continuity, when Chronos ascended he almost immediately spoke to his sons to explain what had happened.
>Thena just kind of adopted herself into he role of being his granddaughter?
Possibly they fell into these familiar roles out of closeness in ideals and motives, and less out of blood relations. They tend to do so often, as Zuras treats Joey like a grandson despite not being affiliated to him.
>>
>>125763852
The main problem is how eternals lore is a clusterfuck due to hacks (recently cates)

This is attempting to do a refresh, which I think it is doing decently at
>>
>>125763852
It is a clusterfuck, and I say it as a person who used to have knowledge about Eternals, now it doesn't make any sense whatsoever

>>125763865
That's a valid point
>>
>>125763907
>and I say it as a person who used to have knowledge about Eternals
See, this is the problem. Eternals lore if you know it is full of absolute bullshit that contradict each other, and no one series can sort it out without contradicting something else
>>
>>125763800
>>125763907
>What a fucking clusterfuck.
I don't see how, unless you're not paying attention. This issue attempts to reconcile (and I think it succeeds) a lot of loose stories that have to be stitched together from the known Eternals history. But a lot of this has been laid out by Gruenwald and expanded very lightly by other writers like Gaiman and Knauf later on, with the only later additions made by Thanos writers. I would say it's more problematic to try and reconcile whatever Aaron and Cates have done with Eternals and Thanos than anything we've seen from Gillen so far.

Explain what part of it is a clusterfuck. Protip: "all of it" isn't a valid answer.
>>
>>125763930
True. It's comparable to trying to understand the x-men lore, only eternally (pun intended) worse
>>
>>125763852
This, I've gotten into the Eternals through this mini and it was only difficult trying to get acquainted with the names and characters at first, but everything seems to be easy to follow so far. I can understand if things seem twisted and contradictory if you've been following it for a long time, but that's just the nature of the medium, shit not making sense and contradictions.
>>
>>125763939
I don't feel like I have a mental capacity in even attempting to explain everything. As a matter of fact, I will have to re-read this issue to make sense out of it. Everything that Gillen does not only retcons the previous lore, but it raises more questions than answers. He tries to make the mythos deeper, but because Eternals are not something that is going to survive more than 12 issues, we will end up with a cliffhanger of sorts, and the next writer will ignore this run, and make up his own mythos, just like Gillen ignores Gaiman, just like Gaiman ignored Kirby. Gaiman was also known for publicly saying in the interview that Kirby didn't get the Eternals
>>
>>125763358
My man Rod with continuity help
>>
>>125760164

Thanks, OP.
>>
>>125763988
Then go and read the previous volumens and specials, and Avengers run when Sersi was a member, and then we'll talk. And I don't even mention anything about Thanos, because Thanos wasn't really thought of as Eternal until much later
>>
I wonder if they'll delve into the idea that the Celestials created Eternals and Deviants of other major species as well. There's only one Kree eternal left (Ultimus) and I seem to recall a solitary skrull Eternal also showing up.

The most interesting thing there is that the skrull species today is all Deviant. They exterminated the "ordinary" skrulls and skrull eternals for the most part whereas on earth the "mainlines" became dominant.
>>
>>125763989
You sound really frustrated for reasons beyond this run and more to do with the fact that Eternals has a smaller fanbase with few runs that are ignored or simply forgotten, than anything to do with the actual lore being laid out here.
>Everything that Gillen does not only retcons the previous lore
The only thing Gillen retconned here is the conflict that led to the Titanian schism, because everything in this issue happened back in Gruenwald's retelling of events, and later on when Thanos' birth was explained. That, and the fact Thanos' name was *always* Thanos, but that's beyond the point.
Unless the only thing you've read of The Eternals comes from Kirby's run before they were introduced into the main continuity, any complaints you might have from Gillen's run will have to be made about every other that came before him, because he's acknowleding Knauf, Gillis, Gaiman and even Thomas in here (with the parallels between Gods and Eternals from previous issues). So I fail to see how he's ignoring any of these writers.
>Gaiman was also known for publicly saying in the interview that Kirby didn't get the Eternals
You took him out of context.
>>
>>125763989
The whole point of this run is to redefine and soft reboot the Eternals on the comic side for a new audience entirely, since it's pretty damn likely they'll want to know more about this run after the movie, it's also when Gene Yang is doing for Shang Chi. The days of the Eternals being unknowns are probably over, thanks to the movie, so I wouldn't count on this be swept under the rug like you think. As a newcomer it all seems pretty comprehensible maybe not for someone like you with previous knowledge, I don't even know how that's possible, but all it's all easy to follow, and literally no one but you has these complaints in this thread, so it's a you problem honestly.
>>
>>125764075
you argue in really bad faith. If you want to shill this series as good, go on. Me, I will probably have to re-read everything in order to make sense of it. Gillen added a lot of new things
>>
>>125764101
One thing that certainly does not help Eternals is the fact that at first it wasn't supposed to be canonical to Marvel. I know just realized that there are also Young Gods. I wonder if Gillen are going to touch them as well
>>
>>125760116
so fucking brutal, especially that I went recently through a painful break-up
>>
>>125764108
Gillen didn't. He just took the additions made by Gaiman (the machine and only 100 eternals) to their logical conclusions.
>>
>>125764108
I am not arguing in bad faith, I merely asked why you thought this was a clusterfuck and not once, but twice have failed to explain how, and on top of that you insist that he's retconning everything. I even posted the damned issues Gruenwald wrote to compare with the latest additions to support my argument and how it lines up with the latest chronology. I'm very much in favor of posting previous runs if that's what you want, but I've reread these series in preparation for the movie, and when I compare it to Gillen's run I still see the same basic layout, so excuse me if I don't agree with your claims.
>>
>>125760130
wasn't Mentor like living freely on Titan? Some timeline would be nice to fit everything that happens in this issue
>>
>>125764130
>Young Gods

They have been dead for years and as long as they stay dead they never have to adress them.
>>
>>125764213
Going by the costumes, its pretty recent
>>
>>125764178
One, you're a tripfag. Two, you have other people already posting that. And frankly, re-read what you posted as well like here >>125763647
>>125763658
>>125763680
>>125763698
>>
I mean this issue literally ignores Starfox. If Eternals shouldn't breed, then should Starfox be also evil? Also wasn't the whole Titan made of Eternals breeding?
>>
>>125764275
>One, you're a tripfag.
Oh yeah that's an excellent argument.
>Two, you have other people already posting that.
Not really? At the very least most people are agreeing those are decent additions, and that they're pretty much the broad strokes of what came before.
>And frankly, re-read what you posted as well
I already did, and even commented while posting it. Now it's obvious you're the one arguing in bad faith while refusing to explain your point, and this is a waste of time.
>>
>>125764313
>. If Eternals shouldn't breed, then should Starfox be also evil
The whole point is Eternals shouldn't breed because they weren't designed to do so, and if they try to overcome that barrier put in place, a Thanos will pop up, and honestly Thanos's actions on a universal scale are a bit more significant than Starfox's. So Thanos should be the gold standard on why breeding them is a bad thing if the possibility of them being that bad is a thing.
>>
>>125764391
why this issue ignores Starfox? Why this issue turns Thanos into some Lobo-esque dude who kills whole Titan because? Why this issue ignores everything that happened in original Starlin's saga? Why this issue ignores Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet? Why this issue paints Thanos as this ultimate evil dude, when he wasn't?
>>
>>125760061
what is epoch doing there
you are being set up
>>
>>125764313
He is a serial rapist so yes, he is evil.
>>
The Eternals to me seem like a reworked Inhumans concept. For one, the Eternals were meant to be separate from the Marvel Universe regardless of that fact Kirby used S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives in his story. At least to me the Kree could have been like the Celestials. In the original appearance of Ronan, the only Kree we see is the Supreme Intelligence and even then that can debatable if he really is a Kree or a supercomputer like he later became. Ronan never speaks of himself like he's a Kree, rather he references the Kree the same way the Sentry did. For all intent and purposes of this theory, Ronan is just another agent of the Kree. The Kree and Inhuman connection didn't happen until the backup stories that appeared in Thor and even then Lee butchered Kirby's original intent of the story.

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/effect/2012/06/12/a-failure-to-communicate-part-one/

In the original Inhuman saga, the Seeker says they are merely from Pre-Civilization almost like the Eternals were. Medusa was even confused for the same mythical figure bearing the same name. Ignore Avengers #4 cause that guy was also confused for being the Gorgon. Inhumans also had that same Greek/Roman name to that point that Gorgon showed up to take Medusa away. Now I'm not saying Kirby planed any of this. Instead he was winging it because the Inhumans were supposed to be their own title back when Martin Goodman promised Stan and Jack that Marvel was going to expand their number of books. Goodman got cold feet at the last minute but Kirby had already created most of the cast for the Inhuman and Black Panther so Stan told him to work it into the Fantastic Four. Now add in Kirby's fascination with ancient aliens and you can see the overlap between the Inhumans and Eternals. In F.F. #47 Reed tells the others that, "Remember... They're not mutants! They're not humans born with unexpected powers! They're made a science of controlling genes... of gaining artificially acquired traits!"
>>
>>125760084
sui san is actually an eternal?

>>125760107
ouch
>>
>>125764541
>sui san is actually an eternal?
it's a new retcon. she used to be titanian native
>>
>>125760130
I really like how in the last 20ish years the eternals have been built up into being crazy as shit
>>
>>125764517
Thing is, for me Mutants-Inhumans-Eternals were sort of conceptually linked. Mutants were humans, but enhanced, and with a hidden society, Inhumans were mutants, only alien and with a hidden society and the city, Eternals were Inhumans only gods, and with a hidden society, cities and civilization
>>
>>125764517
They're a followup of the same line of imagination that Kirby used to make the Inhumans and the New Gods. In a way a merging of both concepts with a lot of influence from von Däniken whose "Chariots of the Gods" Kirby read and enjoyed.
>>
>>125764313
It's explained here:>>125760043. Titans are clones, aliens and constructs that were turned into Eternals.
>>
>>125764443
>why this issue ignores Starfox?
Cause he wasn't relevant to the story of Thanos parents meeting and his conception, that stuff comes afterwards. As for all that other stuff you're whining about, got to love continuity adjustments AKA retcons, also you're not that other anon who's been whining all thread are you? I'll be blunt, this book probably isn't even made with the hardcore Eternal fans in mind, this is cashing in on the movie that will undeniably be a huge success coming up, and is basically retooling and streamlining what's apparently long and convoluted history for a a new audience, and from the response we're getting here, it's working for those newcomers, but some hardcore lorefags like you I guess wouldn't accept any changes.
>>
>>125764517
>Instead he was winging it because the Inhumans were supposed to be their own title back when Martin Goodman promised Stan and Jack that Marvel was going to expand their number of books. Goodman got cold feet at the last minute but Kirby had already created most of the cast for the Inhuman and Black Panther so Stan told him to work it into the Fantastic Four.
yes and no. At the time, Marvel was distributed by DC (yup), and DC put them a limit on how many monthlies they can release. While what you say is true, Inhumans were introduced in FF also, because it was the best way to introduce new characters to wider audience due to FF popularity. Alas, the Inhumans ongoing didn't happen until decade later.
source Marvel Untold Story
>>
>>125764645
>Titans are clones, aliens and constructs that were turned into Eternals.
how does that even work. it all sounds as if Eternals can reproduce using more than one method
>>
>>125763989
>Gillen ignores Gaiman

Absolutely wrong. Gaiman is the entire basis of what Gillen is doing.
>>
>>125764665
I'm not saying that I won't accept the changes, but it does make everything a little more convoluted.
>>
>>125764703
Gaiman was doing Deviants / Eternals conflict. Gillen however tries to explain Eternals and what they are. Also, isn't The Machine a Gillen invention? I don't remember it from before. Gillen's run might be the first time it is shown how Eternals' resurrection looks like
>>
>>125764517
Inhumans only existed only as much as the royal family was concerned.

Up until sersi's inclusion into the avengers, eternals were more lore than characters.

With that said, original Eternals were a flop. Kirby's greatest creative era was also marked by his shittiest books.

Eternals only truly shined after 80s marvel cosmic reworked abstract and celestials and new eternal comics were built on that lore.

>In the original appearance of Ronan,
good chunk of kree lore is developed in captain marvel.
>>
>>125764669
that book ain't the most acurrate
>>
>>125764101
To be fair, judging from the sales of the book, the new audience isn't going to be massive. I'm not saying that the movie will be a flop or anything, but at the same time, I doubt there will be a big fandom of Eternals. Interestingly enough, Marvel is pretty cautious with releasing anything Eternals-related, unlike with Inhumans before
>>
>>125764789
It's very accurate. The author does included his own opinions, but the facts are backed by people who were involved with Marvel during all eras, so to say that it isn't accurate is some casual bullshit, especially that you also have another book by Fantagraphics, about the pre-Marvel era, which more or less also confirms what Untold Story was telling
>>
>>125764718
>but it does make everything a little more convoluted.
How so? Like I told you before, I think that problem lies with you and not the book itself. This is a what you'd call a soft reboot of the franchise, so Gillen will probably pick bits anfd pieces to from the lore he can build on while also adding his own spins to everything. If you're issue is it's not meshing with everything that came before, that's intentional. I'm speaking as a newcomer that this is all pretty easy stuff to comprehend if you've been following from #1, anything that is convoluted to you isn't translating to me, the key demographic for this book and it's existence, so again, it lies with you.
>>
>>125764669
>Marvel was distributed by DC (yup), and DC put them a limit on how many monthlies they can release.

Correct, and all because Martin Goodman thought he could save some pennies on distribution by closing down Marvel's distribution company (Atlas) and signing up with Dell's distributor only for that company to go under just when Goodman was ready to start shipping. So he had to go hat in hand to DC and ask them nicely if they could please let him get his comics out to consumers. Lucky he was friends with some of the DC high-ups and could sign an agreement during a golf game.

Really, so much of Marvel's history between 39 and 1970 is defined by just how miserly and stupid Martin Goodman was.
>>
>>125764804
ike has been gagged so he can't order bs anymore
>>
>>125764804
>To be fair, judging from the sales of the book, the new audience isn't going to be massive.
I would wait until the movie is out honestly, and judge that. They got a year headstart to basically build this run and redefine the lore, same with Shang Chi, I'm sure after the movie interest will rise and they might not be the upper echelon of sales like Spider-Man or X-Men, but I think they'll do respectable numbers now, similar to Guardians of the Galaxy, way better than any run they've had before I'm sure.
>>
>>125764851
Because from having two separate civilizations of Eternals, we have some weird-ass experiment that results in Thanos, because movie synergy, and because Thanos. We have memory erasure, resurrections being the result of random death of a human person, and Eternals not really serving any real purpose, if they ever served any purpose. Gillen didn't even touch the Deviants so far, so I can imagine how he will complicate them as well, and add some lore that will require mensa membership in order to understand everything.

The book isn't even a soft reboot, because it does not necessarily changes much, except the gender of sprite. It's really hard to pinpoint, but the whole series is digging the hole for itself. For comparison, the previous volume (the one that followed Gaiman and had crossover with X-Men) was much easier to follow and grasp
>>
>>125764858
Funny thing about Goodman and DC, he was friends with DC's boss, and playing golf together, it's also where DC's boss told Goodman idea about Avengers. It's funny that they were rival companies, but at the end of the day, jews still support each other, even if they compete
>>
>>125764517
Something both the Celestials mastered and the original Inhuman outpost who tried to act more like their Kree counterparts by using Genetic-Rays. That last part was in the margin notes on Kirby's art as seen in the link I posted. Remember that they were evolved by the Kree to be an outpost colony for trading purposes. We don't ever see what a true Kree looks like under Kirby. It was until Marvel published Captain Marvel in Marvel Super-Heroes #12 that they said Kree are humanoids. Celestials are humanoids at least in outward appearance because you then get into DeFalco's Black Galaxy saga in Thor where they witness the birth of a Celestial. Kirby in an interview (much later in life) said the Celestials could very well be advanced humans under that armor. Warren Ellis got this concept down for his take on Ultimate Captain Marvel. The Kree had this weird fish design but Marvel was turn human through surgery.

>>125764634
I think it was Gil Kane that said Kirby advised him to always tie any of his works together even if its just a reference hence why they're a tons of references to Thor in the New Gods. The New Gods are reworked Thor because they were going to be born out of the Ragnarok Kirby was planing to do in the Thor title. Stan liked the idea but he wasn't going to kill off Thor plus this was right when Marvel got the contract for the cartoon.

>>125764669
Liebowitz had Goodman only publishing 8 titles but this was '66 and all the comic companies got excited again for superheroes because Batman the tv show was coming out. Why they were introduced in the F.F. is left to speculation but like the Kirby Collector said, up to that point before the Cosmic greatness of the F.F. kicked in, Kirby was experimenting with juggling multiple sequential narratives in the pages of Thor. Now with the F.F. Kirby can spend a small amount panels dedicated to Reed, Sue and Ben or to the Royal Family to even Johnny and Wyatt's search for Crystal. It was a creative boom.
>>
>>125764738
>Also, isn't The Machine a Gillen invention?
no, when the two Deviant Goods destroyed Ikaris's body with a cyclotron in Gaiman's run, "the Machine" makes him a new body
>>
>>125765115
>I think it was Gil Kane that said Kirby advised him to always tie any of his works together even if its just a reference

Yep.

>>125765005
Also correct
>>
I haven't read the issue yet but what about the Dragon of the Moon's connection to Thanos?

>>125765005
That has never been corroborated by anybody might as well be a piece of urban mythology in the comic community. Also that golf story was more about the creation of the F.F. to match the JLA's success while the Avengers were a last minute solution to a Daredevil issue missing its deadline. Liebowitz and Weisinger were hard motherfuckers. Marvel's success was only do to them stepping down from DC.
>>
>>125764970
Again. that just seems like you not liking the changes themselves, maybe they rub you the wrong way as someone who as a previous reference for other stories, but it's not for me, this can't be stressed enough the perspective of a new reader is more important than the versed people of Eternals lore like you in the end, they like me won't have a single solitary issue with any of the changes you mentioned since I'd have nothing to frame it to. None of this shit is being built up with the requirement of knowing everything that came prior since it's literally telling you the relevant parts it wants you to know. Dude you just don't like the changes, and that's fine but that isn't a knock against this book, it's you having prior knowledge not being accepting of the changes.
>>
>>125765298
>I haven't read the issue yet but what about the Dragon of the Moon's connection to Thanos?

Not mentioned lately.
>>
File: file.png (828 KB, 900x815)
828 KB
828 KB PNG
>>125764970
>Because from having two separate civilizations of Eternals, we have some weird-ass experiment that results in Thanos, because movie synergy, and because Thanos.
Where's the movie synergy in that? It was always the case that the Titanian Eternals grew separate from Earth and had their own culture.
>We have memory erasure, resurrections being the result of random death of a human person, and Eternals not really serving any real purpose, if they ever served any purpose.
The memory erasure comes from Gaiman's run, and the the Eternals not having any clear purpose is an elaboration from both Knauf's run and Aaron's Eternal genocide from his Avengers run, and while I don't like it, it's not Gillen's fault, we've gone through this before. His only addition was the mechanism behind the resurrections, and I'm certain it's going to be temporary given the cliffhanger of the latest issue, in which they go to the Deviants for help.
>>
>>125764970
>because Thanos

MCU Thanos isn't even an eternal, he's some space alien.
>>
>>125760084
Snuff film?
>>
>>125761119
Doesn't he have a "date rapist" stigma?
>>
>>125766076
Thanks to Slott's She-Hulk run he does
>>
>>125759963
appreciate you
>>
>>125764517
Kirby really liked the concept blonde regal god hero from a hidden civilization of super beings, Inhumans, Asgard, New Gods, Teenagents.
>>
>>125764517
Talking about Inhumans, Reading their first appearance is funny in hindsight.
>>
File: RCO005_1468807327.jpg (634 KB, 1054x1600)
634 KB
634 KB JPG
>>125764607
>Inhumans were mutants, only alien and with a hidden society and the city
Anon...
>>
>>125760130
>>125760116
>>125760124
Fucking hell Kieron
>>
>>125760860
God fucking damn it.
>>
>>125760116
Damn, dude.

Harsh much?
>>
>>125766650
Tuk is another one. Bug from his DC work has shades of the trope.

>>125766854
Great page. Like Eternals, they have human genomes or at least closely related to humankind.
>>
>>125760812
Lel Thanos has a female name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4
>>
File: RCO019_1468879135.jpg (596 KB, 1054x1600)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
>>125767170
Reading their first arc confirmed my suspicion that only Black Bolt and Crystal are designed to be heroes.
>>
>>125767622
Already ignored in this same issue, nobody but Cates cares about it so it can be easily forgotten.
>>
>>125760116
brutal
>>
>>125764313
One Thanos outweighs the actions of one million Starfoxes

Like yeah Thanos is an enormous jobber but he is still the single largest mass murderer in universal history. He worships death, he's killed more people than Galactus, who has been killing worlds since literally the beginning of time

Meanwhile Starfox is just this creep who skulks around kind of drugging people to fuck him
>>
>>125766854
Not to hate on Kirby but Black Bolt really did look fucking stupid in his first few appearances. They always drew him with this confused expression like he forgot why he walked into the room
>>
File: RCO012_1468807375.jpg (595 KB, 1021x1600)
595 KB
595 KB JPG
>>125768506
>They always drew him with this confused expression like he forgot why he walked into the room And it was implied he lost his voice recently
To be fair he was only there because of Medusa.
>>
What is the point of Eternals again?
>>
>>125761014
Ah, great, now we know this mini is out of continuity(or The Machine is a completely unreliable narrator even more than we suspected and thus nothing from this books is to be taken for certain):
History of the Marvel Universe sets Thanos' age to less than 30'000 years old.
Specifically, it's successive to the end of the Hyborean Age
>>
>>125768876
Teen Thanos is from some multiverse story written by Aaron, he's not 616-Thanos. He has nothing to do with the ongoing story.
>>
>>125768864
Original universe by Kirby that was very awkwardly welded into the Marvel Universe much to everyone's dismay.
>>
>>125766076
only for a limited period of time where his power was out of control due a Thanos's practical joke on him.
>>
>>125768864
>Comics.
Kirby wanted to write about ancient aliens.

>Movies.
Anti-New Gods measure.
>>
>>125764067
>I seem to recall a solitary skrull Eternal also showing up.
the last Skrull Eternal became one of their gods and was later killed by Mikaboshi during Secret Invasion
>>
>>125769101
>Anti-New Gods measure.
Nothing stops DC from making it, the reason they aren't is because whatever Ava DuVernay and Tom King were concocting wasn't up to par. Whether it was going to conflict with Snyder's own New Gods version is up to discussion, but Eternals was confirmed and carried into production before New Gods, so unless Marvel knew in advance they would screw up, the fault lays squarely on DC's lap.
>>
>>125768919
I was speaking about Thanos being hundreds of thousands years old in this issue.

...though, I suppose, the narration doesn't gives a specific amount of time passed between the Schism and Thanos' birth, so I guess one can headcannon it as be as only the Schism having been retconned to be 200k years ago, while Thanos is still less than 23k years old
(fall of atlantis and end of hyborean age are supposed to be about 10k years ago. by the way)

actually, I think we got Thanos' age back in Starlin's latest trilogy?
>>
Gillen has done alright. I wonder how Makkari holds up he does have the most noticeable changes so far.
>>
>>125760907
Sersi is still like that she just got a hidden layer of bitch that popped out in scenes like with showing Thena her Deviant lover was doing shady shit.
>>
>>125769358
Maybe you quoted the wrong pic?
>I was speaking about Thanos being hundreds of thousands years old in this issue.
Nowhere it says that in the issue, or at least I don't see it. Did you confuse it with something else?
>>
>>125761014
I feel like Gillen probably would have ignored more if Aaron had tied so much of his shit into the celestials. A page of teen Thanos is skippable.
>>
>>125769448
>Maybe you quoted the wrong pic?
that's perfectly possible.

>>125769448
>>>I was speaking about Thanos being hundreds of thousands years old in this issue.
>Nowhere it says that in the issue, or at least I don't see it. Did you confuse it with something else?
Titan Schism was 200k years ago here: >>125759930
and no massive amount of time is stated passing in the book,. which suggest a relatively negligible amount of time did pass.

I stand my opinion this book must be taken as being fully told by an Unreliable Narrator and thus ready to be used or ignored by successive writers.
>>
>>125763930
Why didn't they just say that the Secret Wars alterations to reality changed Eternals Congo high a bit?
>>
>>125769653
>and no massive amount of time is stated passing in the book,. which suggest a relatively negligible amount of time did pass.
That's not true, you literally see Titan rising and being populated here >>125760043, which couldn't have happened in a short amount of time. It must have taken many thousands of years to get to the point an Eternal like A'lars would get frustrated in his efforts.
>>
>>125769711
>It must have taken many thousands of years to get to the point an Eternal like A'lars would get frustrated in his efforts.
yeah, but I don't think it's well portrayed as being over 150k years
>>
>>125765619
Infinity War had Avengers fighting Thanosq on the ruin of Titan.
But I don't know if the Eternals movie is going to have them linked to Titan at all.
>>
>>125760043

Is that Mark Gruenwald in red?
>>
>>125769705
Continuity = Congo high???
>>
>>125769847
>Infinity War had Avengers fighting Thanosq on the ruin of Titan.
Titan in the MCU is an alien planet, not the moon of Saturn.
>>
>>125759942
>Died seven times
Ouch considering the twist from the most recent issue.
>>
>>125767652
Yeah Medusa is an odd one. Like I said at an earlier post >>125764517 perhaps only her and Gorgon were intended to part of a storyline Kirby was working up to. Should say that Kirby had multiple versions of a story in his head, it was only when he sat down to draw it did it stick and perhaps he would recon it at a later date. This is probably why we never got a true definition for the Anti-Life Equation according to Mark Evanier. What we do know was that Medusa was a mysterious villainous that fans wanted more off. She came out in '65 with Gorgon and Black Bolt with the rest of the Inhumans right after, maybe these dates are meaningless but like we discussed earlier the whole acceptation of the Batman tv show lead to a boom of cape comics. Goodman told Stan to expand the line, he had a feeling he could convince Independent News Distribution to compete against Harvey Comics new superhero line. In that one weekend, Kirby came up for the pitch of the Inhumans supposedly based on the Addams Family formula of having a weird family hence why Johnny references the Munsters in #45 and he also created Coal Tiger, later Black Panther. Interesting as Jack would rework Coal Tiger to possible be part of the New Gods.

The important detail here is how Kirby was a master of reworking his canceled ideas to his new books. Another example besides the F.F. is with Big Barda. See my post on another thread for the history of Jack's deal with DC.
>>125766108
So Barda was going to have her own title but when those plans were canceled, Jack found a way to sneak her in into Mister Miracle's book.
>>
>>125770484
I argue that Black Bolt and Crystal are the odd ones out.

Medusa: Mysterious sexy and smart villainess, I think they wanted her to be Jonny Catwoman*.
Gorgon : Was draw in a antagonistic way early on. Characters noted the connection in his and Medusa names
Triton : A cloaked villain early on, His powerset is of a puzzle antagonist; But once he was kidnapped he was characterized and draw more sympathetic.
Karnak: Looked like the Wizard and PPP.
Crystal: Designed day one to be a love interest, Clothes were different from the others (A simple white dress).
Black Bolt: His design is heroic from panel one, Matter/energy manipulation is a common power for a Kirby protagonist.

*Jonny's love live was mentioned a few times during the story, The narration when he let Medusa scape and their interaction when Medusa was running alway from Gordon.
>>
File: hcpda8kr9z231.jpg (587 KB, 1361x1968)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>125771934
I meant Medusa was an odd one because she worked as a concept without the others. Maybe only Gorgon was planned to part of her backstory. Then there's the whole Medusa of antiquity with Vuk. But those are merely trivial inconstancy with early Marvel was riffled with. My point was when Kirby went off on that weekend to create Black Bolt, the Inhumans and Black Panther, he had to rework his ideas. Black Bolt is odd in his design like you said because it's been said he was created to be his own book but was then added into Kirby's Inhumans concept. Kirby has been trying to tell a story he's had in his mind for years and because of poor management he never got around to it. Granted the guy was always free styling cause the Fourth World took awhile to find its feet but the tropes are always there. Ancient civilizations made up of human aliens hybrids with amazing tech. The technology is the key thing to understand his idea of "god" and his experiences at war. Then again maybe I'm putting too much into these silly adventure stories.
>>
File: RCO029_1471791253.jpg (741 KB, 959x1400)
741 KB
741 KB JPG
>>125772738
Thanks for the explanation.

>Black Bolt is odd in his design like you said because it's been said he was created to be his own book but was then added into Kirby's Inhumans concept.
This explains why he is the only one with a heroic design.

>The technology is the key thing to understand his idea of "god" and his experiences at war. Then again maybe I'm putting too much into these silly adventure stories.
Not really his stories have a pattern, Like how Captain Victory changed its tone in the second part.
>>
>>125760074
So...what? So is Eros not an Eternal? Or Thanos' brother?
>>
File: black-panther-7-1.jpg (429 KB, 860x1288)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
>>125773152
I forgot to mention the Batman influence on Black Bolt's design because of the tv show it was a popular move to design characters with a similar cowl and mask. Toth did it with Space Ghost another character that showed up in '66.

Would have loved to see his original ideas for Black Bolt and Inhumans just to see how crazy it would have been. Then Stan would bait (not saying he did it willingly or with any ill will just maybe he promised Kirby more than he could deliver) Jack with a Inhuman book something that ended up as the Thor backups. That's where you see the Kree connection. Supposedly another book Lee would blue ball Kirby with was with the Surfer. Jack always wanted to do a proper Surfer origin but got angry when Lee came out with issue one with Buscema reckoning most of what Kirby had planned. Then you get that Surfer graphic novel that was a retold Galactus trilogy but with the F.F. which was weird but great art. And yes those patterns would even show up in Black Panther. There's a page in issue 7 where Vibranium mutates people into these monster kind of like what the Seeker tells the F.F. of their ancient history growing side by side with the human race but shun away as legend. Kirby and Lee always bring the trope up in the captions just can't remember a specific issue at the moment.

In my head canon the X-Men mutants are man made creations from nuclear radiation as the first step in evolution then Inhumans and Eternals are genetic mutations from a more advance otherworldly science and then the final evolution into godhood like the Asgardians, Watchers and New Gods are technologically advanced super race like we're seeing with the current Eternals.
>>
>>125773522
You can pull pieces of the puzzle here and there, One of the Galactic rangers from captain victory is basically Triton from the Inhumans equipped with a squadron of micro soldiers from Jimmy Olsen.
>>
>>125773740
Oh yeah you can do this and see a huge interconnecting web. Look at the picture you posted >>125773152 Lighting Lady has a similar headless to Karnilla and going back to Thor and the New Gods, New Genesis was born out of Balder's atoms but renamed as Balduur for New Gods #7 while Apokolips is hinted to be Karnilla. Darkseid's mother, Heggra also has a similar headdress.
>>
>>125774088
I think it is just recycled design, Lightning Lady has a lot in common with Mantis. Electrical humanoid leader of an invasive bug army.
>>
>>125774301
Kirby recycled a lot. You'll see a lot of the especially in his monster comics. Speaking of Mantis, Forager the Bug is basically Ransak the Reject. Which is based on Spider-Man, a character Kirby claims he help create.

There are multiple bug colonies on New Genesis, I always figure Mantis was one who left to Apokolips because in issue 9 of the New Gods he shows up to Forager's colony (perhaps to other colonies as well to build an army) to recruit the bug people belonging to All-Widow and Prime One's death is like Uncle Ben's. Mantis is also an energy vampire.
>>
>>125773234
Gillen has to spotlight Eros later. He even mentioned him.
>>
>>125769927
They might still have Eternal s connected to that Titan, though.
>>
>>125774658
>All-Widow and Prime One
Now that you mentioned these 2, I remembered that the insectons have the same power structure with Lightning Lady and Regent Mantis was successful in his conquest attempt
>>
>>125775168
Yes, but the concept art released for Thanos' family was all comprised of alien-looking people, not humans.
>>
>>125775258
The Insectons have a hive mind mentality like the Bugs of New Genesis but this is basically what Darkseid wished he had if he every acquired the Anti-Life Equation right?

The Machine in the Eternals is very much like the cloning machines from Captain Victory. Yes it wasn't in the original Kirby run but it's nice to see Kirby tropes making their way back into his properties.
>>
>>125775698
Yes, The insertons used brainwashing machines to capture/slave an entire city.

I was commenting that since Captain Victory is a stealth sequel to New Gods, It means that Mantis got a somewhat success. And Darkseid ended up as a undead voice/shadow after destroying New Genesys
>>
Bump
>>
>>125775803
Captain Victory started off as a screenplay. Pacific Comics approached Kirby to do an adaptation of it. Another proto-Darkseid is Psycho-Man.
>>
>>125760116
Damn
>>
Considering the oldest evidence for modern humans is about (so far) is about 300,000 BC, I feel like having tghe Eternals be as old 1,000,000 is a bit much.
>>
>>125763820
>that last panel
Fug the resemblance
>>
>>125777942
>I feel like having tghe Eternals be as old 1,000,000 is a bit much.
You're not wrong, but the "One Million BC" timeline comes from Jason Aaron and Editorial, just so he could do his One Million BC Avengers. This is Gillen trying to fit that into the chronology of the Eternals, because it wasn't stated elsewhere beyond "hundred thousand years of past history."
>>
Have they ever explained how Atlanteans and Inhumans are genetic cousins? Or rather if they did, have they done it in a way that actually made sense or you enjoyed?

I ask due to the idea being hinted but never explained in the FF Atlantis Rising books.
>>
>>125778243
>Have they ever explained how Atlanteans and Inhumans are genetic cousins?
I'd have to check back at the Secret Empire tie-in where Toro was trapped in Atlantis, and where he was confirmed as an Inhuman to know (the last time I can imagine a crossover like this could've happened). But where did you first read this?
>>
>>125759880
Is there an Eternals reading list? This shit seem spread out all over the place
>>
>>125778407
It's not that difficult. I recommend first reading the Eternals: Secrets from the Marvel Universe one-shot that collects the origin tale, and then read the following:
>Eternals by Jack Kirby, 1976 (#1-19 plus Annual)
>Eternals: The Dreaming Celestial Saga, by Peter Gillis, 1985 (#1-12)
>Eternals by Neil Gaiman, 2007 (#1-7)
>Eternals by Daniel/Charles Knauf, 2008 (#1-6, you can skip the X-Men tie-ins)

That's the basic stuff. There's of course the Thor & Eternals saga (Thor #283-301), but you can read that after you've become acquainted with the Eternals proper. This story has a lot of lore for both the Eternals and Thor, including the confirmation of Gaia as Thor's mother.
>>
>>125778571
How about the Black Galaxy saga for Thor?
>>
>>125778243
>But where did you first read this?
Fantastic Four tie in books for the Atlantis Rising event. Can't remember which issue exactly but it was one of the last few issues.

Black Bolt and the other royal family show up at the U.N. to tell Namor they have the right to rule the newly risen Atlantis.

There was a whole thing in one of the issues that has Namor go in some magic fever dream to see Atlantis' history. So Merlin and I believe Morgan le Fay were from old Atlantis and fled to the British Isles where they helped build Camelot. They never mentioned how the Inhumans tie in to the whole history.

There has been theories and recons how Attlian and Atlantis might be one in the same or one of them was the trade post for the other. It gets more confusing how the Bird people of Red Raven are actually Inhumans. Kinda brings up the fact how the Inhumans are a mess since early Kirby stuff says they are master of genetic breeding so that's why you have bird people, centaur police force and maybe why Atlanteans and Lemurians all have gills since they could be Inhumans.

Then you get the crazy terrigen mist is lol random transformations that Karnak's parents refused to put him in. Or the theory Lockjaw is actually Inhuman and not a dog. But if its so random, how we get a whole race of bird people and centaur police force?
>>
>>125778630
Not to mention that weird fact that originally when Quicksilver was still a mutant and Crystal an Inhuman gave birth to Luna who has no powers and was a normal human. I mean they gave her empathy and aura powers later but what were the comic writers originally trying to say? If the most advance humanoid races join in unison creates a normal human does that mean we are the advance beings of advance beings anons?
>>
Thanks, OP.
>>
Thanks.
>>
>>125777514
I know, It was made as an answer to close encounters of the 3rd kind. Because of it the series has two tones, Starship Troopers during the first 7 chapters and New Gods 2.0 during the flashback.
>>
>>125778571
>that 20year gap
Jebus!
>>
Gonna post some eternals from various books
>>
>>125782479
>>
File: Tumblr_l_568665959841038.png (2.16 MB, 1010x1511)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB PNG
>>
>>125782582
>>
New Gillen interview
https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/the-secrets-of-marvel-eternals/
>>
>>125778571
It sucks that Makkari was changed, He had the best design.
>>
File: Tumblr_l_568670350518797.png (2.81 MB, 1019x1612)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB PNG
>>125782607
>>
>>
>>125782887
>>
>>125782607
>>125782645
>space cunts show up
>we're gunna make 3 races :^)
>super powered fake gods
>quick evolving super powered assholes
>and monke
>BUT NOTHING ELSE IF MONKE DOES ANYTHING ITS A CUNT
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: mostly phastos.jpg (483 KB, 1600x1204)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>
>>125783188
>>
>>125783313
>>
>>
>>125783410
>>
File: Tumblr_l_568611358740746.jpg (675 KB, 1157x1500)
675 KB
675 KB JPG
>>
File: thena2.jpg (424 KB, 986x1600)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>
>>125764738
>Gaiman was doing Deviants / Eternals conflict.

Except that's wrong. The true villains in the Gaiman mini are other Eternals like Spirite and Druig. The Deviants are secondary players who are treated sympathetically by Gaiman with regards to their religious devotion to the Dreaming Celestials who they see as a Christ-like figure that sacrificed himself for the Deviants.
>>
File: thena.jpg (552 KB, 1600x1228)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
>>125783535
>>
>>125764738
Anon you might need to reread Gaiman because you have forgotten a lot. The only thing Gillen added was the machine talking.
>>
File: Deviant cube.jpg (587 KB, 1041x1600)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
>>
>>125783711
>>
>>125783722
Something out of Stardust.
>>
>>125783711
>>125783722
This is hilarious and fucked up, I love it. I'm an Eternals can but I hadn't seen this before.
>>
>>125778609
Never read it, does that one include Eternals in it? Had I known that before and I would've coped the epic collection when I first saw it.
>>125781548
To be fair, the Thor: Eternals Saga takes place right in between Kirby and Gillis' run, and in the meantime they were members of The Avengers. It's not like they vanished during that time.
>>
File: maelstrom2.jpg (115 KB, 733x795)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>125783833
I can't remember the chapter but it's from Avengers. Starfox meets the Eternals for the first time. Eternals and Avengers fight Maelstrom and we find out Maelstrom is half deviant.
>>
>>125784182
Sounds like a Mark Grunewald story.
>>
>>125782619
>https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/the-secrets-of-marvel-eternals/
>What are the Deviants for?

This is the one million dollar question.
>>
>>125778630
>>125778796
Man those are good points. I never realized how confusing the Inhumans. As to my knowledge, I am unsure of any Inhuman and Atlantis connection other than their cities being similar. Atlantis has its own complicated history. Heck, its location is always changing since Bill Everett had Namor not as an Atlantean but a race of aquatic humans living in Antarctic or North Pole called the Sub-mariners. I believe it was Namora who was actually Atlantean. Thats why they tried to connect the Savage Lands with Atlantis.

What do people think of the Earth X revelation that Wolverine, Beast and Sasquatch are decedents of Moon Boy who escaped the Eternal's experiments?
>>
>>125783711
>>125783722
This is why I'm gaining interest in the Eternals, these fuckers are weird, their standards are obviously not ours, and never will be, so their way of going about things are just so fucked up to us, but they're not so weird that it's off-putting.
>>125783824
What he said.
>>
>>125784324
Roger Stern's Avengers
>>
>>125775686
Concept art from before there was going to be an Eternal s movie doesn't mean much.
>>
>>125782619
Gillen has a really interesting pov, i kind of agree with it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.