[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1rh4m4uz.jpg (190 KB, 791x1200)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
These guys used to be incredibly iconic, but they don't seem to get much love anymore. So let's have a thread about everybody's favorite mutant-exterminating death machines.

What's your favorite sentinel?
What's your favorite sentinel story?
Are they coming to the MCU?
>>
How strong are sentinels?
>>
File: Sentinel 001 (2003).jpg (300 KB, 976x1500)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: Sentinel History 01.jpg (3.17 MB, 1658x3840)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>
>>124587979
They're giant robots, so they job harder than Galactus and get torn apart all the damn time.
But they also keep creating apocalyptic futures so there's that I guess?
>>
>>124586421
All the shit from the 90's cartoon show made me fall in love with them. They fucking rule and I love it whenever they show up in the comics.

But I do have to say, I did not like them when they became the jungle version scrap piles. It could have been a cool idea in theory, but the execution was poor IMO, especially the virus stuff. Sentinals need to be robots, at least human-sized, not microscopic things you cant really see or fight.
>>
>>124588128
Why is nightcrawler red?
>>
>>124588188
That's not Nightcrawler. Thats some clone that's a mix of nightcrawler and one or two other mutants, from the future.
>>
>>124586421
>What's your favorite sentinel?
James "WAR MACHINE" Rhodes.

The mutants don't say SHIT about him. He won't hate someone for being a gene joke, but he will NOT put up with any bullshit just because several million of your genetic relatives got toasted by a colony drop or whatever.
>>
>>124588173
>>
>>124587979
They're plot device-tier.
>>
>>124586421
Sentinels are one of the mutants power creep victims.

Giant death robots should be plenty for a group of schmucks with a few powers and banded together for survival, but when every xmen is an omega transcendant entity capable of rending mountains the Sentinels turn to some stupid grunts.
>>
File: trisenti1.gif (64 KB, 232x420)
64 KB
64 KB GIF
>>124586421
The Tri-Sentinel
>A giant-sized, six-armed, three-faced combination of three fairly standard Sentinels (created by Shaw Industries) bonded together by Loki as retribution for losing the Acts of Vengeance ploy

Spider-Man and Nova team up where they have to deal with the rampaging Tri-Sentinel, eventually deploying antarctic vibranium right inside of it.
>>
>>124588527
I had this episode on VHS and watched it until the tape wore out
>>
File: a1y3voh1.jpg (160 KB, 1296x730)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>124586421
There's a shitty indy film on Netflix called Code 8 that honestly has great knockoff sentinels, if they bring sentinels to the MCU I hope they go a route kind of like this. Man-sized police drones that respond to mutant threats, just give em more of the classic look with palm lasers and jet boots.
>>
>>124588111
I want him back, they could do it easily by having him fuck around with Nanosentinels or some shit for self-repair of his Sentinel keep him alive. He was honestly good for Laura's supporting cast, but I doubt X-editorial wants to entertain conflict rather than have drama and the X-men be right.

I just wish we didn't get Terminator/ Robot's hate humanity horror stories. X-Men never delves into the idea of Sentinels becoming 'living' where they diversify and see themselves as an evolutionary path of mankind.
>>
>>124588944

Hickman is like hinting/toying with that but hasn't committed yet
>>
>>124588681
Part of it is that writers are fairly uncreative when it comes to using the Sentinels. Something that I really liked about X-Men Evolution and WatX is they didn't only use the standard Sentinel. WatX had the Hounds and the Prowlers (even though the latter are basically Spider-Slayers) and the Evolution Sentinel was a goddamn powerhouse with a plethora of weaponry.
>>
>>124586421
Shouldn't Nimrod be the one the one at the farthest point?
>>
>>124588975
He's too pretentious for me to care. All of his books bore me, the man's a philosophical and intellectual bore. Too much on wow lasers and guys being smug, not enough of people trying to connect with another person.

I guess what I want is Robots developing souls and asking for help, rather than Machine Men dab on humans and muties. Have the Sentinels play politics and be plan better be than the X-Men. Could go into the ethics of Telepaths and Technopaths, kill Box because no one cares for Box.
>>
>>124588992
they're just ordered by size, if it were going by tech level he'd be opposite the big boy
>>
>>124589095
Strictly speaking he'd be behind Bastion, who is a mix of Nimrod and a Master Mold.

>>124589050
I'd love for Vision to go full Terminator on Krakoa over Wanda.
>>
File: primesentinels.jpg (42 KB, 359x423)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>124589233
is that Bastion? I thought it was just a generic Prime sentinel
in any case the guy on the right is Alpha
>>
>>124589233
Krakoa is one of those things where it's obvious that their hubris is gonna bite them, but like half of the X-Office seems to really like the whole mutants being an allegory for minorities and "winning." I just liked when the X-Men where viewed as a creepy cult and guys like Trask were worried about them and Magneto starting a race war.

Honestly, I'd wish that they'd just make Xavier a narcissist, a well-meaning one, but still a narcissist. Just have Cassandra Nova be a personality fragment. Or if you want to go really evil have Xavier be unknowingly brainwashing people by influencing the students and staff to have positive thoughts about the X-Men, not making memories, but the school and even him guide to positive thinking. His dream was never really a choice, the X-Men exist to die for his ideals just like the Brotherhood exists to die for Magnetos.
>>
File: Sentinel info 01.jpg (2.01 MB, 2560x1658)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
>>124589406
I'd retcon Cassandra Nova into being Xavier's actual sister, who was under his constant telepathic manipulation from an early age - Xavier's powers kicked in while he was fairly young - who basically wiped herself from her family's memories as an automatic defensive mechanism when her own prodigious psychic powers kicked in a few years later.
>>
>>124586421
>casually approach mutant
>>
>>124589956
>HOW DO, FELLOW GENETIC ABERRATIONS
>>
>>124589944
>Jugs hates Xavier because he actually got along with their sister
Shit, I can dig it.
>>
>>124588765
Was that the one from Pizza Hut where Stan Lee and other creators talked about the x-men before the cartoon started?
>>
>>124589989
Has there ever been a sentinel that tried to pass as a mutant in order to infiltrate and kill them all?
>>
>>124590057
I was thinking more along the lines of existential horror and alienation.
>sibling gets psychic powers
>starts consciously and subconsciously manipulating everyone around him
>you're vaguely aware something is happening, but you don't know what it is or how you know it's happening
>start doubting your sanity as you're 100% sure something is wrong with your and everyone else's thoughts
>suddenly your own psychic powers kick in fully
>in desperation your mind lashes out against his manipulation wildly
>wind up not just erasing his memories but removing his ability to perceive your existence
>because he's still subconsciously affecting people with his telepathy, he's also obliterating everyone's memories and ability to perceive you
Imagine the entire concept of your existence being removed from people's brains simply by being in range of your sibling's psychic abilities, and, not only is your sibling one of the most powerful telepaths in existence, he frequently uses amplifiers to ensure his psychic reach is worldwide. Imagine that sometimes everyone you know just forgets you and can't recognize proof of your existence, and this happens increasingly frequently. Imagine needing to spend 30+ years to figure out a way to get people to remember you, and it still leaves massive gaps and errors that cause them to confabulate notions like you're an alien space ghost in a clone body. And all you want to do is just taken everything from him and burn it to the ground so he can have the slightest inkling of what it's like to be you.
>>
>>124590123
>GREETINGS MUTANT, MY NAME IS S. N. TINEL AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE A STUDENT AT TARGET COMPLEX ALPHA - I MEAN XAVIER SCHOOL FOR GIFTED YOUNGSTERS. MY MUTANT POWERS ARE MECHANICAL PHYSIOLOGY, FLIGHT, PLASMA BEAMS, AND NON-STANDARD EXTERIOR COLORING FOR HUMAN BASE FORMS.
>>
>>124586421
The Sentinels are a nemesis with a finite amount of tension to them. For the cartoons they provided an adversary out heroes could pummel without consequence, but in the comics their ultimate end conclusion is the bad timeline of Days of Future Past. Without that threat active they hold no consequential weight or grimmer implication, and are just robots to smash. X-Men adaptations have largely been spinning the Silver Age wheel for the last 15 years, the sentinels are basically a formality like Harvey Dent getting burned or Zod escaping the Phantom Zone.
>>
>>124590284
I can dig it. I just want Jugs to show up, his entire origin can be framed pretty sad if done right and honestly I like him. Just a dude who wants to get paid and keeps going. Have his father only abuse him because of Charles subconsciously wanting to be loved more after his mother starts treating Cain like a son, you could even have that be a triggering point.

It’s been said a lot, but psychics really are an inherently troubling topic. I think No-Girl during the Spider-Man/ X-Men thing was the most ethical where she only ever talks telepathically after having Ernest ask. The brain in the jar has more common curtesy than 99% of other psychics.
>>
>>124586421
> Thanks for getting rid of those damnd mutants, but who the hell is going to pay for my house?!!! My family and I barely escaped before that purple toaster chrushed with its foot!!
>>
File: Sentinel.jpg (206 KB, 875x1024)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
best Sentinel coming through.
>>
>>124590523
I've never really been a fan "Xavier is actually evil" but with Krakoa I'm 100% down for him being a nigh-solipsistic narcissist who, consciously or unconsciously, warps people to fulfill his goals. I think with No-Girl it's a combination of her not being able to mind control people and being incredibly dependent on others. Even with telepathy she has to deal with people normally to get what she wants and her condition means she's significantly more vulnerable than anyone. The rest of the telepaths are on a 24/7 power trip, but she can't afford to be.

Though this notion of Xavier being the unwitting architect of his family's misery is pretty great.
>>
File: X-MEN247_15b.jpg (310 KB, 1000x1520)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>124586421
>What's your favorite sentinel story?

The one where Nimrod comes to realize mutants are not a problem in and of themselves.
Or the one where no.3,14159 reaches the same conclusion.

Sentinels have the potential to change and grow, and become moral beings. They don't have to be killer robots.

I hope Hickman has the good sense to do the same thing. The only way to avoid the dark ending Moira keeps getting is to make peace - not try to win a war which evidently can't be won.
>>
File: X-MEN197_09a.jpg (303 KB, 1000x1516)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>124590123

There were the X-Sentinels, who were designed in the image of the origjnal X-Men, making them androids. I don't know if they tried to pass though.

Prime Sentinels are cyborgs that don't know they are Sentinels until they're activated (like OMACs in Infinite Crisis).

Nimrod took a human form. So yeah, he did, but not to infiltrate, just to fit in better.

Nimrod is a bro.
>>
>>124590362

Well, Days of Future Past can be seen as a threat that will never disappear, but has to be staved off indefinitely.

Like Ultron. Ultron will never disappear, but has to be confronted each time.

It is odd to me that Ultron apparently never co-opted the Sentinels. It would take absolutely minimal effort to get them to cooperate - just convince them that technically, all humans are mutants - a conclusion they frequently reach anyway.
>>
>>124588881
I don't really get why they're almost always gigantic. It just seems like it'd be more expensive, slower and they wouldn't be able to get indoors.
>>
>>124590884
I think part of the problem is that the X-comics have more or less adopted Days of Future Past as the "not-canon canon" future. If the end state is "Sentinels kill everyone including humans" it doesn't leave much room for narrative. It's basically the same problem with Apocalypse.
>>
>>124586421
the one that destroys genosha
>>
>>124586421
who's that with the big tits getting stepped on?
>>
>>124590756
>not the mango
>>
>>124591760

I think it's Kitty.

>>124591421

Well, it seems Hickman makes dealing with it the whole point of his run
>>
>>124588111
I know Mettle is the death everyone's still angry at Hopeless for, but these two still hurt just as much.
>>
>>124589233
>Bastion, who is a mix of Nimrod and a Master Mold.
It was the second Master Mold, who was built from the remains of the original, so Bastion is kind of the Alpha and Omega of Sentinels. It's odd that he's completely absent now.

>I'd love for Vision to go full Terminator on Krakoa over Wanda.
As much as they'd deserve it, the idea of the X-books getting control of Vision and using him as a villain for the mutants doesn't sound like it would end well for him.
>>
>>124590362
Sentinels killed millions of mutants
>>
>>124589406
>Krakoa is one of those things where it's obvious that their hubris is gonna bite them, but like half of the X-Office seems to really like the whole mutants being an allegory for minorities and "winning."
They've admitted they're extending the "Reign of X" act of the current run because the writers and the fans love "mutants are winning" too much and none of them want to get to the next act when things start to fall apart. The fandom and most of the writers have gone too deep into modern identity politics, the franchise is probably unsalvageable now.
>>
>>124593990
>Racial supremacy is fine when minorities do it!
Who are these new age "leftist" fuckers that advocate this shit? When the fuck did these people get their brains so fried that they replaced the idea of equality and cooperation with supremacy?
>>
>>124590833
>Sentinels have the potential to change and grow, and become moral beings. They don't have to be killer robots.
>I hope Hickman has the good sense to do the same thing.
In Hellions, Cameron Hodge's robots evolved and decided they could be friends with mutants. Then the Quiet Council of Krakoa destroyed them all because sentient AI is a threat.
>>
File: RCO006_1585628819.jpg (1.72 MB, 1988x3056)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>124590362
>>124590952
Yeah. We already know these things are responsible for tons of property damage and casualties. It bothers me that people still think its a good idea to make Sentinels huge. Like, what kind of advantage does that give them over Omegas?

>>124590884
That's always bothered me too. Governments across the world have Sentinels in their bunkers. There are Wild Sentinel factories hidden in the jungle. Ultron could just hack them all and make them run loose. How has that not become an event or a What-if story?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.