[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Space Jam.jpg (35 KB, 396x594)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
So why are people saying this is a good movie now?
>>
>>124583868
>Now
>>
>>124583868
They're not. It was a horrible movie and most people, including myself, only remember it fondly because we were like 5 or 6 years old when it came out. Both movies are trash cash grabs, at the very least the new one put Black Widow in the grave at the box office which is the only positive thing about it.
>>
>>124583868
in comparison
like star wars prequels and sequels

it's not a masterpiece, it has a gimmick
it's not dancing with wolves
but if you compare it with everything released nowadays
it's fun
>>
File: Evu-FzTVgAAWOsh.jfif.jpg (161 KB, 1125x1241)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>124583868
Don't let yourself be fooled, it was always about the rabbit
>>
>>124583868
Fun, turn your brain off movie. Sure it wasn't something perfect, but it had charm to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbaKze622Kg
>>
>>124583868
This, I watched the Nostalgia Critic episode, it has always been bad
>>
It's a perfectly entertaining family movie
>>
>>124583868
Space Jam 2 is honestly, from a storytelling, standpoint a better movie. Both of them have different issues, or the same depending how you look at it, that bring them down though.
>>
>>124583868
It was wholesome and the main guy could be around white children and you didnt have to worry about him hurting them because he was not a racist like lebron.
>>
>>124584296
I do agree with you. I felt there were higher stakes in New Legacy.
I understand that the WB shilling bothered people, but I liked how self-aware they were about it, and it seemed to have fun at least.
>>
Fun movie. Sure it's cheesy, but that's Timothy Harris and Herschel Weingrod for you. All of the comedies they wrote in 80s and 90s were cheesy
>>
It was fine. Could've been better
>>
It's a good thing Space Jam has a charming script, because it'd be a pretty cynical film otherwise
>>
>>124585898
Plus charismatic performances. That's another thing SJ has going for it. Jordan is not a good actor, but still has charisma and presence
>>
>>124585898
>hurr durr i like it because every movie i like is shark tale-adjacent
>>
>>124584368
Was Michael Jordan around white children in Space Jam? The only children he interacts are the kids actors playing his children
>>
>>124585898
I watched Space Jam the other day and remember this scene

>Michael, have you noticed your friends are cartoon characters?
>Yeah, so what? Do you have a problem with that?
>Of course not. If you don't have one

That make me chuckle
>>
>>124584031
This. It's important to remember that /co/ is filled with 300lb incels who hate everything and that skews the discussion a bit. Fact is that little kids like Space Jam and always have, and just being a movie that kids want to see is still important.
>>
>>124586124
I like how the LT wave at Stan when he looks at them
>>
>>124586485
I like the part where Daffy kisses his own ass.
>>
>>124584459
>>
>>124583868
Why must you hate on everything? Is a simple movie with basketball and Looney Tunes so wrong to have? Are children's interests meant to relentlessly mocked by grown adults who can't let go to their childhood media doesn't hold up in their boring adult minds?
>>
>>124586696
He looks very Clampett era here
>>
>>124583868
It was entertaining unlike the new one
>>
>>124583868
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, terrible movie and Chuck Jones is right to call it awful and an insult to the Looney Tunes brand.
>>
>>124586026
what does this even mean
>>
>>124586813
Jones would've thought the same of Back in Action outside of a few scenes. Just saying
>>
>>124586859
No shit retard.
>>
>>124586859
Back in Action was a Daffy-centric (and more Looney Tunes centric) movie and in character for Jones' version of Daffy, he probably would have like it more at the very least. At the end of the day though we only know he hated Space Jam and thought it was awful, which it is.
>>
It's funny how at no point do we see the LT and Monstars agree to the place and date of their match. Like, there's never a scene of them saying "We'll play at this stadium tomorrow night" or something. Instead, LT challenge them to the basketball game, Nerdlucks steal the talents and turn into Monstars, and then they just dissapear until the climax (outside of that one scene where they burst into the gym, meet MJ and turn him into a ball)
>>
Space Jam 1 was who framed Roger Rabbit sports edition (admittedly, nowhere near as good as WFRR). Space Jam 2 is just an even worse Ready Player One.
>>
>>124587241
It's like whoever wrote the screenplay didn't give a shit or something.
>>
>>124583868

It’s good. Much better than the new one
>>
>>124587378
Good in comparison is still just bad
>>
it alright. it not subtle or nuanced. it tasteless and lukewarm. but, it alright.
>>
>>124583868
cause they haven't watched it in 20 years and aren't going to watch it because they know its bad
>>
>>124583868
>now
It was kino from day 1
>>
>>124583951
She still draws. Amazing!
>>
Did you know that Moebius worked on Space Jam?
>>
>>124587326
Space Jam doesn't waste its time with pointless shit. It doesn't have the LT agreeing to a time and place with the Monstars, and neither does it have Jordan freak out or ask any questions upon meeting cartoon characters. He just instantly accepts it. Same goes for Bill Murray's random appearance at the end or how nobody cares that Jordan was sucked down a golf hole
>>
My favorite part of the movie is where they showed all the looney tunes short at once.
>>
>>124587529
And none of his work was used, making his involvement nonexistent like Jodorowsky's Dune.
>>
>>124585898
Sharktaleanon?
>>
>>124588119
Who else do you think spams gifs of this shitty movie? Especially when webms are a thing?
>>
File: 1623039410973.jpg (25 KB, 474x355)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
It's a funny, cheesy movie and will always be a classic. The acting and special effects were god awful as fuck, but the soundtrack and animation are still phenomenal.
>>
>>124588303
It's really just one song people remember and the animation is barely there.
>>
>>124584015
This
Sure, there's this false impression of the movie that most people have to due to having watched it as a child but it's still a quite fun movie all around.
>>
>>124583868
I was super hyped for this as a kid, I loved Looney Tunes but didn't care about basketball. I was peeved there was too much basketball and not enough Looney Tunes
>>
>>124583868
I dunno, but I liked the part where Daffy paints the Monstar's pants red, which sends the bull in the audience into a rage and makes him charge at the Monstar with his horns
>>
File: Space Jam qCDa.jpg (39 KB, 500x375)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Compared to the garbage animation that gets made today, it's a classic.
Though even for it's time, it was a pretty fun animated family film. It was the NBA with one of its biggest stars teaming up with Warner Animation with their Looney Tunes characters. It was a pretty good idea. It was a bit off on execution, but it was a pretty damn good kids movie. Warner had a pretty big hit and it made an impact on the kids that watched it.
Weird. I'm watching some VTubers play some dumb bouncy game and they just started singing "I believe I can fly".
>>
>>124586000
You know what? They needed a Bill Murray character in the sequel. Hell, Kevin Hart would have been great to show up instead of just a namedrop in a short joke.
>>
File: screencaps-01680.jpg (481 KB, 1920x1080)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>124587529
>Did you know that Moebius worked on Space Jam?
I think I read that in a prior thread or something, but I forgot. Wow.
MEANWHILE... in 2021...
>>
>>124583868
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkLdPld4C7U&ab_channel=Ajrules23

it was kino
>>
>>124583911
No we remember it fondly because Bill Murray and Wayne Knight were some of the biggest meme actors of the day. Also the sexy bunny.
>>
>>124583868
The movie sucks. It’s just not as bad as the new one. It feels way less commercial which is really fucking saying something since the original was literally an extended version of a commercial.
>>
>>124586066
no, he's just saying Jordan gives the aura of being milktoast and you would be fine with him around white kids because he's not racist
>>
>>124583868
Late millennials have a blind spot for their awful shit. Watch what happens when you tell them the Nintendo 64 was a shitty console with shitty games.
>>
>>124587241
Good. I wish screenwriters would stop wasting time and writing stiff dialogue on dumb shit like this.
>>
>>124583868
i always liked it but its because bill murray is in it. and it made fun of michael jordan trying to play baseball which we all know is the asian/mexican man's sport.
>>
>>124583868
Shit's gotten so bad that even what was considered crap in our times now looks good
>>
>>124583868
It wasn't good but it was charming and funny, it embraced the fact it was a commercial. The new one just felt really bitter and corporate, felt like a 2 hour long HBO Max ad.
>>
>>124583868
I never liked it, even as a kid. It's just a bad movie and I never gave a shit about Michael Jordan so that didn't do anything for me. I liked the animated segments but they didn't hold up the movie just because they were well-done. People praise the soundtrack a lot but it's pretty much all just pop songs that were regularly played on the radio back then, barring the main theme.

But even in spite of all of that, I'm so fucking sick of the absolute state of modern movies that upon rewatching it today I found it charming. It's absolutely full of that 90s cheese that's just gone now, and it's fully aware that it's a dumb cheesy movie. The full use of 2D animation feels refreshing nowadays after so much CG shite, even in ostensibly live action movies. The villains are basically Deviantart OC-tier, but the fact that they'd even use them in such a high-profile film kind of makes me respect that they were willing to take risks. As shit as the movie objectively is, it just feels so much more fun than current major cinema.

Still not gonna watch the sequel lmao
>>
>>124583868

Because it isn't yet another soulless reboot made for the stunted adult millennial audience.
>>
>>124589755
I miss when Wayne Knight would just randomly show up as secondary characters in kids cartoons
>>
>>124584022
>admitting to watching Nostalgia Critic
>still attempting to be taken seriously
>>
>>124588440
>It's really just one song people remember
R. Kelly may have been cancelled, but I Believe I Can Fly is still dope
>>
>>124589667
Also, you can't compare the star power of Micheal Jordan in the Space Jam days to Lebron James today. It's just not the same. I was a kid when Space Jam came out, and even though I gave zero fucks about professional sports, it was impossible not to know who Micheal Jordan was. Even outside of the USA, he was regularly in the news.
>>
>>124584022
Went and watched his vid and wow it is a dumpsterfire.
I've never seen spacejam and have zero desire to now so i'll probably never end up watching it.
I don't get why people are seething about the second one if the first was pretty bad as well? Peak consoomer spectator mentality to actually get mad at spacejam 2 or what they did to lola or taking out pepe. Whoooo caaaares
>>
>>124587520
Wow, a furry AND "she" didn't improve at all in 11 years.
>>
>>124593036
It's been said numerous times but this is exactly what nostalgia blindness is. No adult today would watch Space Jam and think it's a good movie, you either need to be a kid that watched it when it came out or be a really huge MJ fan to get any mileage out of it.
>>
>>124593036
>>124593166
I have this periodic thing where someone I know will start talking about how great Space Jam was, we'll watch it, they'll be immensely disappointed, and then a few months later they'll talk about how great it was again. I think being a kid at the time just overwrites any common sense or recent experiences with the movie for some reason, it's pretty fucking shit.
>>
>>124592026
Astroboy 2009 had a similar thing, so it seems that this writer doesn't like to waste time explaining dumb shit that doesn't need explanation (what happened to Toby's mom? When exactly is Stone's election taking place? How long have the kids been working for Hamegg or how did they meet the robot dog?, etc)

You could say the scripts of both movies feel like early drafts due to having so much unexplained shit, but there's something kinda charming about this.
>>
>>124594720
There's nothing charming about a half-finished script, that's pure copium right there.
>>
>>124594720
Ok, how can you recognize that answering questions like 'who Astro's mom is' wouldn't help the plot in anyway, but then turn around and complain about how Incredibles never explains the relationship between Syndrome and Mirage? That is some biased bullshit, my man.
>>
>>124595212
I think it's because Incredibles takes itself more seriously that those movies, and expects us to take it more seriously too
>>
>>124595261
Comedy doesn't make the writing less important, that's a stupid take. If you're gonna spam your retarded opinions at least try to be consistent with them.
>>
It's dumb as hell, but fun to watch. Like Bee Movie.
>>
>>124595261
That doesn't answer my question. I'm saying that detailing the relationship between Mirage and Syndrome would not help the plot in any way, but you seem to believe otherwise.
>>
>>124595335
Astroboy 09 already had enough of a convoluted story as it was. No need to waste time explaining everything. Besides, they didn't have the budget to make a very long movie, so every min counts. Incredibles doesn't have that excuse because it's an almost 2 hours long film, so Bird had time to explain some things that went unanswered
>>
>>124583868
Nostalgia and zoomer rebellion against the popular opinion. That’s why.
>>
You faggots are being disingenuous as fuck in this thread
Nobody who isn't a retard ever said that the first Space Jam was a good movie in terms of things like the acting/script/storyline
You all know that already. That's not why the first movie was more enjoyable
It was and still is considered a 'good' movie because unlike Lebron, Michael Jordan was damn near universally loved and respected not only for being the undisputed best basketball player alive but also because he had a safe, likeable, apolitical nice-guy public image. Jordan wasn't some overrated divisive extra-pro-black faggot who was scared to accept going bald, so a lot of people wanted to see a movie centered around him even when they knew his acting would likely be terrible
Also, unlike today, the Looney Tunes characters were much more well-known and well-loved by the youth back then (mainly due to heavy reruns on Cartoon Network, TBS and TNT) so people wanted to see a movie starring them too
Combine them, and you have a movie that's a fun and memorable time capsule for its era despite other failings in its overall quality, because just the spectacle of seeing huge icons from different worlds united in a fun story was enough for the movie to be 'good'
>>
>>124589676

Adam Sandler would have been a good pick, He is legit a good Basketball player.
>>
>>124591659
Do the same but with the shovelware station that was PS1
>>
>>124595494
Bro, take your meds. Please.
>>
>>124595432
That's exactly why Astro Boy sucks, it explains too much shit that doesn't matter yet leaves the important stuff on the cutting room floor. The Incredibles does a way better job at making the story tight and knowing what can be left to be inferred by the audience. The budget being small is no excuse, I've seen plenty of small budget affairs that worked within their limits to deliver a great finished project. It's funny, whenever someone points out any sort of hypocrisy or legitimate criticism you always have some lame excuse to try and hand-wave it away. This sort of intellectual dishonesty is exactly no one takes your posts seriously.
>>
>>124583868
I wish it was a bit funnier. It's amusing, but rarely hilarious. That writing duo was never the funniest (Trading Places was their only hilarious film due to R rating giving them more freedom, but their PG stuff like Brewster's Millions, Twins and Kindergarten Cop was only amusing)
>>
>>124595923
They should've written more R films. Watched all of their films and Trading Places was the only one that had me laughing consistently. Space Jam just cannot compare
https://youtu.be/QlvOIPBtGZE
https://youtu.be/ZQ5Ytow727I
https://youtu.be/4WMErc1n6Ks
https://youtu.be/emvySA1-3t8
>>
>>124592975
Yeah, Michael Jordan in the 90's was a fucking god. I think only Michael Jackson and maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger could top him in terms of popularity. I don't think we have such a star currently - maybe Christiano Ronaldo or Messi, but even those are small fish compared to Jordan.
>>
>>124596442
I kind of wonder why that is, it feels like the age of absolutely global individuals just sort of faded away
>>
Something worth pointing out of Space Jam and Astroboy is that the scripts were not outlined. Writer wasn't a fan of outlines
>>
>>124583868
Because it was a good movie. And it's not just a nostalgia thing, either; I watched it again recently and it was still good.
>>
File: 1342211819511.jpg (64 KB, 640x426)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>124583868
Space Jam is a 4/10.
Space Jam: A New Legacy is somewhere between 3/10 and 4/10.
This is coming from someone who watched the original as a kid when it released.
I also went back and rewatched the original a day after I finished SJ:ANL (heh).
>>
Gotta love how before Astroboy came out, articles were saying stuff like "Let's just hope the Space Jam writer does a good job". I mean, there were reasons to be worried. He didn't pen a script since the mid 90s
>>
Benvenuti and Rudnick only wrote the story of Space Jam before leaving the project early on. Harris and Weingrod wrote the screenplay, including every gag and dialogue.

This is also why WB chose Harris to write the Astroboy script instead of Benvenuti and Rudnick, because they didn't write the SJ script. WB could've also chosen Weingrod, but they went for Harris instead.
>>
>>124597328
Why the fuck do you keep bringing up Astro Boy in Space Jam threads, retard? Them having the same scriptwriter is not enough of a reason.
>>
>>124597845
It is. They're the only animation films written by him (none of the other Space Jam writers worked on animation before or since)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ocm_zyuijE
>>
>>124588540
Based and slampilled.
>>
>>124597829
I do have to ask, why do you keep bringing them up over and over? Don't you think it gets repetitive?
>>
>>124598199
It would be one thing if he was a major /co/ personality but he's not, he's a nobody, going through his whole fuckin bio any time he's even tangentially related is stupid. Make your own thread if you want to go into that shit.
>>
>>124583868
>now
But to answer your question, it’s mostly just nostalgiafags and furries who jerked off to Lola when they were five.
>>
>>124587241
That's a reason why I felt New Legacy handled their story a little better in comparison. There's so many things that don't make sense in the original.
Plus, I prefer how LeBron interacts with the Looney Tunes than Jordan.
>>
>>124589688
classic Cheetara though.
>>
Another weird thing about Space Jam is how Bugs and company never establish the conditions of the match with the aliens. Like, they never say something like "If we win, you return to your theme park and leave us alone. If we lose, we'll surrender and be your slaves". All Bugs does is tell the aliens to give them a chance to defend themselves and then challenge them to a basketball game with nothing else said.
>>
Another thing : Why do the Looney Tunes exactly need Jordan to win the game? It's not like they needed him to train them or anything (he's never shown training them or organizing them before the match) Sure, having him on their team gives them an advantage over the Monstars, but still. Also, how did Bugs know who Jordan was or how did he knew he'd be at the golf field before kidnapping him?
>>
>>124600839
The more you think about it, the dumber this movie is.
>>
>>124600988
It's a dumb movie that doesn't feel well thought out, but it masks this with the whole "None of this meant to be taken seriously. Just have fun" atmosphere. Granted, that's not an excuse for not respecting audiences' intelligence or giving more thought to the writing.
>>
>>124601075
I hate that "just turn your brain off and have fun bro" mentality. Stuff doesn't need to be stupid to be fun. Like the John Wick movies and Doom are pretty simple but they don't dumb shit down for the audience, there's a difference between a simple premise and a dumb one.
>>
>>124600839
Stop applying Cinema Sins-tier autism to a fucking Looney Tunes movie. You sound like a complete fucking sperg.
>>
>>124601178
It's a cartoon, numbnuts. It doesn't need to be "clever" to be fun either.
>>
>>124601197
Simple doesn't mean clever or stupid, but I guess you're too retarded to understand that.
>>
>>124601178
To be fair, even Emperor's New Groove uses the same mentaility. "None of this meant to be taken seriously and we're gonna break the 4th wall whenever we can. Just have fun"
>>
>>124601258
I guess you're too retarded to think a Looney Tunes movie isn't comparable to Doom, you mouthbreather.
>>
>>124601271
Eh, I wouldn't call the Emperor's New Groove something you need to turn your brain off to enjoy. It's a bit of a mess setting wise but it's pretty straightforward in it's premise.
>>
>>124601309
I didn't say it had to be Doom you mongoloid, it was just an example from the top of my head of a simple premise executed well in media. Space Jam isn't even really a Looney Tunes movie, it's a Michael Jordan movie guest starring them.
>>
>>124583868
Nostalgia+Bunny boobies+Meme potential.
>>
>>124583868
Space Jam is just a fun animated adventure movie. It's like Mary Poppins fun of just watching 2D characters interact with humans. New Legacy is "Epic Movie" in terms of writing. They think references are fun and forgot to make the Looney Tunes... looney.
>>
>>124601494
I wouldn't completely agree with that. I thought the Looney Tunes were handled better in New Legacy. Some of them even did more in the movie, like Wile E. Coyote and Foghorn.
The main story, while flawed, is handled better and makes more sense, as much sense as a movie called Space Jam makes.
>>
>>124583868
It's not.

Even as a 7 year old, I saw glaring plot holes, I remember asking my mom why the fuck the aliens in their normal forms are still present during the basketball game, she said it's just a cartoon.

Fucking stupid.

Lola hot tho.
>>
>>124591621
Which is kinda funny because on paper Labron is a better person than Jordan but Jordan isn’t a communist dog
>>
>>124601579
>Jordan gets turned into a ball by Monstars and says nothing
>Jordan sees Stan getting inflated like a balloon and goes "how is that possible? We're humans"
There are plot holes
>>
Can we talk about Lola appears out of nowhere at the start of this scene? She's not seen practicing with the others, yet suddenly appears when Jordan shows up
https://youtu.be/qaF_cpQnosg
>>
>>124583868
Because it's always the same shit with the internet and that it only consists of Zoomers and Coomers.
>>
Astroboy 2009 definitely had a better script than Space Jam. Perhaps those 10 years of retirement caused Harris to improve his craft a bit. It's a tighter script overall. Not as corny and has more heart.

I think Harris' amiable style of writing mixed with Tezuka and David Bowers's fucked up ideas and story makes for a pretty appealing combination. Space Jam doesn't feel that way because the story is extremely childlish and because it takes place in the cheery 90s as opposed to a cynical future version of earth
>>
>>124602803
Tezuka wrote a fucked up story (child getting killed in a car crash and replaced by a robot copy) and then David Bowers added more fucked up elements (have the child die vaporized instead, have the robot copy be disowned by his father, make earth into a polluted wasteland, have orphans work for a Fagin like repairman, gladiator battles where sentient robots are forced to fight each other to death, etc)

And then you have the Space Jam writer penning the screenplay. A screwball comedy writer working with a story far darker than anything he worked on before, treating everything in a lighthearted way. It's quite an appealing combination. Gives me Adventure Time vibes (fucked up story and concepts / amiable and comedic writing)
>>
the amount of one-shot LT characters in this is beyond comprehension
>>
>>124583868
Because people grew up with it and their childhood can't be wrong.
>>
Because even though it was just as much a soulless cashgrab as its sequel, it's a narratively focused and coherent soulless cashgrab.
>>
>>124583868
I just rewtached it. It's obiouvosly not a well written movie but it's at least fun and focused, and while still an add it doesn't feel like it as much. SJ2 is too worried about hamfisted cameos to be focused on anything in particular, doesn't even feel like a Looney Tunes movie.
>>
>>124595494
>disingenuous

Take your meds.
>>
>>124602279
Plenty of tune characters come and go at these shots. Most of them don't even play for the Tune Squad. Hell, plenty of different characters can be seen at the emergency meeting and have no place on the team.
>>
>>124601494
Mary Poppins had actual art and passion to it, Space Jam is just a soulless imitator.
>>
>>124602803
>>124603212
He was suffering from dementia at the time and needed the money after the housing crisis in the US caused a global economic disaster and made retirement funds disappear overnight so of course it was his worst script yet.
>>
>>124583868
Because it has Pepe on it, The only good thing about Space Jam 2 is that Pepe and Penelope got memory holed together.
Back in action is still better BTW
>>
>>124604236
Perhaps. All i know is that he retired from Hollywood and big studio projects after Space Jam (parting ways with his writing partner) and that he was living in England at the time they hired him to pen Astroboy (director is a brit, which is why he chose Freddie Highmore to play Astro and also chose a Supergrass song for that montage)
>>
Still find it funny how this robot trio was played by brits, plus the way they did it : They got Matt Lucas to play the leader, and then asked Bill Nighy, who played Dr. Elefun, if he wanted to play the red robot as well. Lastly, the director of the movie is a brit, so he played the fridge and completed the trio.
>>
>>124583868
At least here, I haven't been saying much if any people outright saying it's good. Just that it's better than 2 and highlighting what it did that 2 didn't.
>>
>>124604236
>It was his worst script yet
Nah, that'd be My Stepmother is an Alien. Basinger / Aykroyd sex scene was the only good one
>>
>>124605573
I think it would be Astro Boy actually, simply terrible script from all technical perspectives. You can tell it was written by a man way past his prime and suffering from the onset of dementia.
>>
>>124602279
probably a leftover from the michael jordan original script
>>
>>124605663
It was a fine script. Not every joke hits and Stone is too much of a caricature, but it's still earnest and entertaining, even touching. Astro is likeable and worth rooting for, Cora and Elefun are nice, and both Tenma and Hamegg get some of their best portrayals
>>
>>124583868
My friends and I have been singing the Space Jam theme for fucking YEARS. Shit was a childhood classic, only zoomers are too young to remember.
>>
File: paul lesnar.jpg (20 KB, 194x294)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>124593036
>Watching Doug Walker
>At any given time
>>
>>124583868
>now
It was never an explicitly bad movie. Most people found it an inoffensive and enjoyable pop culture event, and nobody really talked about it afterward. The new movie was just such shit, it made everyone remember how much less shit the original had been. It's not some case of sudden admiration for a lost gem, or anything, take your fucking meds, zoomie.
>>
>>124606613
Based twitterchad
>>
>>124606299
Way to out yourself as someone that never read the source material if you think this was a good version of Tenma or Hamegg.
>>
>>124606869
They were. Harris humanized them
>>
>>124607122
Generic American Hollywood isn't human, it's as manufactured as it comes.
>>
>>124583868
What happens is a terrible sequel/reboot/remake comes out, and instead of just admitting it was bad, one of the copes is to tear down the original. "Well, the original one wasn't good in the first place anyway!"
Thing is, if it really did suck, you wouldn't have tried to reboot it or whatever. Ain't nobody making a Back in Action Part 2.
Space Jam is a fun kid's movie. Hating on it because Space Jam 2 was a stinker won't change the fact that Space Jam 2 wasn't good.
>>
>>124583868
The old one was terrible and it was great. The new is terrible and it's terrible. How the fuck do you not understand this?
>>
>>124608100
>terrible and great
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>124608206
>a movie can't be awful and also well liked, sometimes because it is awful
fuck me for spoonfeeding but also fuck you for not getting this in the first place
>>
>>124583868
It wasn't a good movie but it tried to be a fun movie. The concept was novel, with only a few prior examples to go off of. Everyone knew it was basically just a commercial for sneakers but the people involved clearly still had fun making it.

That gives the movie some level of charm.

The new movie does the exact same thing except it wants to be taken seriously and DEMANDS you do to.
>>
I like the writing in Space Jam. It's a fun and witty script on paper, outside of some weak gags probably added by the animators. Unfortunately, the movie feels sloppy due to being made in only 19 months : Joe Pytka's direction is amateurish, MJ's acting is poor, live action and animation mix is unconvincing, character animation is too hyperactive, CG is awful, and the timing / editing feels off.

Again, i really like the script by Harris and Weingrod, and the soundtrack is fantastic, but everything else reeks of a rushed production. Fun to watch, yet sloppy
>>
>>124608465
>Again
You talked about them a dozen times.
>>
>>124589698
Fuck You!
>>
>>124608465
You know nothing about scripts, I've not seen you say anything tangible about why you think the scripts are good beyond some variation of the words wit, charm, tight, and whatever bullshit adjective you happen to have a hangup over at that particular moment.
>>
>>124609452
All right, i've fucking had it. Trading Places and to a much lesser extent Astroboy were the only decent films written by that guy. Everything else he wrote, Space Jam included, was pretty bad. Happy now?
>>
>>124583868
>So why are people saying this is a good movie now?
Marketing. So that you'll see it and then feel obligated go see the second one. Because advertising actual, literal dog shit doesn't work.
>>
>>124608206
he means so bad is good.
>>
>>124609754
That I can understand. I thought the sequel was the same, I had some fun with it.
>>
>>124583868
I don’t get why people think it’s a terrible movie. It’s funny, has MJ, and the music ain’t bad. It’s not like some timeless masterpiece, but it was entertaining as a boy.
>>
>>124609713
Still need to remove Astro Boy from that list my dude ;)
>>
>>124609899
Fine. Astro Boy was a bad movie as well
>>
>>124586000
>YOU’RE A CARTOON YOU’RE NOT REAL
>>
>>124609994
Yeah, MJ's acting seemed wooden to me. At least Lebron actually reacted to seeing the Tunes in front of him. MJ just kinda accepted it like nothing
>>
>>124609938
Good job, now you're on your way to the path of enlightenment.

But real talk, I don't really care what you think about movies, it's the constant nonstop spam that's the issue. Tone that down and no one here would really care what movies you like or dislike beyond the usual minor spats of "my taste is better than yours!" that go on here and the rest of the site at large. You could spam something that most people here would actually agree with but people would disagree with you on principle for being a nuisance like that. It's the method and frequency that you post that breeds hostility. I know deep down you're probably not a bad guy and annoyance isn't really hatred, do you think you can be reasonable here? You've been posting here for what, two years according to you? Surely you're feeling at least a little burnt out and I don't know what is genuine enjoyment and just plain spite at this point considering I remember you admitting a while ago that it was feeling like a chore. I mean shit man, every now and again I've seen you be the only poster in your threads beyond the odd post of confusion from random anons. There's gotta be a more productive and less antagonistic way to get across what you want to get across out of this.
>>
>>124609994
Were they making a Cool World reference there? Brad Pitt says almost the same to the toon scientist upon entering the toon realm ("You're cartoons. You're not real")
>>
>>124610131
Thanks for the comment
>>
>>124587903
>Same goes for Bill Murray's random appearance at the end
They did explain that, he's a friend of the producer.
>>
>"You're cartoons. You're not real"
>>
>>124610591
>"You're a cartoon. You're not real"
Strange how Cool World and Space Jam have that similar line when the human lead meets a toon for the first time
>>
>>124610131
>real talk
stopped reading
>>
Just watched both movies back to back
Space Jam 1 was a lot more fun
Space Jam 2 was funnier, but not as fun
>>
I love how Jordan was just sitting on the grass a moment ago, yet he's suddenly in a doctor chair when Daffy pulls the lever

Also, what was even the point of doing that thing with the chair? Never got that joke
>>
>>124610591
>>124610616
Yes, this is pretty standard lines for someone confronted with something not real in real life, you'll find similar shit in movies with monsters, aliens, and all other matters of fiction, it aint special.
>>
Jordan's face here is hilarious
>>
Some of the editing is so shitty that it's funny
>>
I like how Jordan stayed with his head in that position for no reason
>>
>>124610919
Oh yes, a completely wooden face with mildly bugged out eyes is hilarious. Such a wacky and zany expression that induces hilarity, he's basically a cartoon character with that cuhrazy expression.
>>
This scene feels rushed. Monstars don't wonder what is a human doing down there and they just turn MJ into a ball for no reason ( he didn't get provoke them or anything) One of them also says "Look at your hero now", despite nothing indicating that the LT had any hopes on MJ. It also ends abruptly. We don't see the monstars leave or telling them '"See you tomorrow at the stadium". Just sorta ends, suddenly cutting back to the real world
https://youtu.be/3sVBK7K2X6I
>>
File: file.png (201 KB, 360x216)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>124586753
When he examines Jordan he had that design and acts like he does too.
>>
>>124610022
MJ acted like he must've been stoned from what he was seeing.

Lebron acted excited from seeing the Tunes.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.