[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Batman-Comic-Generic-07.jpg (219 KB, 1400x700)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
Why are so many people afraid of someone who can't even kill?
>>
>>121091713
Why were the Pharisees afraid of Jesus?
>>
>>121091713
Batman may not kill you, but he'll make you wish you were dead after you see your hospital bill.
>>
>>121091713
You'd be surprised what you can live through.
>>
>>121091713
NOBODY in the DCU is afraid of Batman, even common criminals just consider him 'the freak in a cape' and negro meter maids give the Batmobile parking tickets.
>>
>>121091910
>and negro meter maids give the Batmobile parking tickets.
I forgot that was a thing. Fucking hell, that was a crap comic "I'm not a racist! W-w-when I said 'y-y-you people' I m-m-meant the citizens of Gotham."
Also, what's the point of giving Batman a ticket? It's not like he has a public address in the USA, or is a legal citizen. Towing the batmobile back to the station would be far more useful.
>>
>>121091713
Which batman is on the bottom right?
>>
>>121091713
Well in comic book world,
Every one can escape maximum security prison every day/week,
And everyone can heal from breaking their back or getting crushed under a building, or not able to walk, and in a few weeks the are back to running a mile in a minute, dodging bullets, jumping over trucks and lifting tons of pounds and shit.

So, if the real world you would probably more afraid of a person who would constantly torture your body with things you would never fully heal from, and putting you in places you could never escape.

But in the comics, since bodies/prisons dont really work the same, i guess it is a fair question for the comics.
Perhaps its just that people dont know they are in a comic.

Where do you think you are now Anon?
>>
>>121092195
>Where do you think you are now Anon?
I'm not in a mainstream superhero comic, so I'm better off than any Marvel or DC character.
>>
>>121091855
I’m a goon with full coverage insurance.
>>
>>121092039
>Towing the batmobile back to the station would be far more useful.
Then he steals it back and rams the gate causing damage.
>>
>>121092039

>what's the point of giving Batman a ticket?

Maybe to find out who he is? (maybe the metermaid was on the mob's payroll)
>>
>>121092195
>Every one can escape maximum security prison every day/week,
I hate when people say this meta commentary. Don't you understand how sliding continuity works? You're not meant to believe that every other week someone just breaks out. DC and Marvel gave up on proper continuity decades ago. Every new writer is more or less a new continuity.
>>
>>121092039
>that was a crap comic
>shitting on Section 8
Dear lord this place gets worse by the day
>>
>>121092441
>Every new writer is more or less a new continuity.
No, it isn't
>>
>>121092468
>No, it isn't
It "isn't" in terms of officially. But when every new writer makes HUGE changes that get reverted or kill characters that get brought back, it more or less IS a new continuity.
>>
>>121092492
>But when every new writer makes HUGE changes that get reverted or kill characters that get brought back, it more or less IS a new continuity.
That's called a retcon you mouth breathing retard.
>>
Who was the first to give Batman a blue cape and cowl
>>
File: Not racist Batman.jpg (975 KB, 2082x1600)
975 KB
975 KB JPG
>>121092460
>this
>good
Oh, how dare I be wrong. This is obviously the peak of comic writing. One might say it is... Kino.
>>
>>121092505
Jesus are you utterly retarded? I know what a retcon is. But Marvel and DC haven't properly cared about continuity in forever. Fuck, when DC did the New 52 reboot, some series like Green Lantern or Batman Inc ignored the reboot. While other series were meant to have all past continuity happen in a 5 year span. Modern continuity is as such that really you can't say that it all takes place after one another. So many writers completely ignore what has happened before. And the fact you don't understand this shows that you're the retard here.
>>
>>121092541
>Modern continuity is as such that really you can't say that it all takes place after one another
And you have the balls to call me retarded.
>So many writers completely ignore what has happened before
Ignoring what some other writer did doesn't mean that it's "sorta" a new continuity, it means that the writer is a fucktard

I don't care how you try to paint this, it's just not true
>>
File: Hypercrisis.png (39 KB, 1322x246)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>121092559
It is completely true. I mean 80s Marvel had a stronger editorial. Things built upon each other. There were still errors. DC tried to make a new continuity post COIE. But even that has had numerous other reboots.
>I don't care how you try to paint this, it's just not true
So you have no argument and that's all you fall back on. Good to know.
>Ignoring what some other writer did doesn't mean that it's "sorta" a new continuity, it means that the writer is a fucktard
Characters have had sliding origins. Numerous reboots. There is no way you can make sense of a character's history because of this. Simply because they've been written about for decades. So meta commentary complaining about characters "breaking out every other week" is retarded. It is pointing out a basic fact. It isn't necessarily because a "writer is a fucktard" since every single writer has a different interpretation from one another. That's literally the strength and weakness of comics: new writers can bring something new and that can be good or bad. Sure you can do the Grant Morrison "everything took place" but even that fits within his interpretation of things. Most modern comics don't have a strong enough editorial to make it all fit and haven't had that for a while.

So really you have absolutely no argument.
>>
File: 1559547563591.jpg (131 KB, 487x750)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>121092624
>It is completely true. I mean 80s Marvel had a stronger editorial. Things built upon each other
That has absolutely fucking nothing to do with anything you moron.
What you're saying is "if writer B did things different from writer A it's a 'different' continuity", which is complete fucking bullshit. If you want to headcanon it that way be my fucking guest, just don't try to pass it as hard fucking science

>So you have no argument and that's all you fall back on. Good to know.
I don't even have to make an argument for this; what you're saying is stupid.
By that logic something like PAD's run on Hulk and Ewing's IH are two separate continuities because of how different they are and the changes Ewing made to gamma

>There is no way you can make sense of a character's history because of this
You absolutely can and dear fucking lord. stop. with. the. periods. after. every. sentence

>Most modern comics don't have a strong enough editorial to make it all fit and haven't had that for a while.
The editorial being shit doesn't mean that everything happens in a bubble

>So really you have absolutely no argument.
I'm arguing with a retard that's claiming that his bullshit headcanon is true, what the fuck am I supposed to say to make your brain start working?

Reply to this if you are so petty to get the last word because I'm fucking done with this, fucking /co/ is the dumbest board on this fucking hellhole
>>
>>121092734
>If you want to headcanon
The problem is you're one of these people that thinks what is official "matters" even though the official can not make sense. Older comic book readers realise that a new writer and a new arc can be bad. People who suddenly think a character is ruined by a bad arc constantly have to ask the petty questions about continuity to make it all make sense. But it will never make sense because decades of writer by shit loads of different people.
>just don't try to pass it as hard fucking science
This is your projection. NO WHERE DID I SAY IT WAS A SCIENCE. You can't handly discussion, opinion and other interpretation without getting angry. I mean you started flinging the insults first.
>You absolutely can and dear fucking lord. stop. with. the. periods. after. every. sentence
More. Insults. Because. You. Can't. Argue.
>By that logic something like PAD's run on Hulk and Ewing's IH are two separate continuities because of how different they are and the changes Ewing made to gamma
That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying that continuity is LOOSER than you're making out. You don't even understand my argumnent at all. You think I am rigidly saying that it is all bubbles when I am not. I am saying that continuity is looser. And statements like in the post I replied to are pathetic because they don't take into account this.
>Reply to this if you are so petty to get the last word because I'm fucking done with this, fucking /co/ is the dumbest board on this fucking hellhole
Yeah not like you had to have the last word shit flinging your insults because you had no argument. You're the petty one because you said this wanting YOU to have the last word. Nice attempt I guess. You don't get the argument so you have to repeat all the same petty shit. And I'm meant to be the dumb one?
>>
>>121092534
It's a comedy. Do you have autism ?
>>
>>121092541
>But Marvel and DC haven't properly cared about continuity in forever. Fuck, when DC did the New 52 reboot, some series like Green Lantern or Batman Inc ignored the reboot. While other series were meant to have all past continuity happen in a 5 year span. Modern continuity is as such that really you can't say that it all takes place after one another.
One More Day.
>>
>>121092734
>There is no way you can make sense of a character's history because of this
>You absolutely can
If you take the shit all at face value it basically means that all death and stuff is a revolving door because of all the people brought back, I don't think it was ever all meant to make sense. I mean really you have to take it with a grain of salt and say, "Joker has been active so many years," because otherwise you run into the issue of, "Why doesn't someone just kill him?" If you count every Joker death it is in the thousands, when really you should think he's probably killed a 100 or more, not counting current storyline.

>>121091713
>Why are so many people afraid of someone who can't even kill?
Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot and it isn't like they know all about Batman and who he is. If some guy is out there beating up criminals and the like and a crime boss gets killed by falling down the stairs by accident, fuck, maybe it was Batman? The whole no-kill code is more something that specific writers have brought to prominence because of the years of Batman battling certain foes and those foes knowing that Batman won't ever kill them. And that becomes quite a boring conversation of ethics because Batman won't ever break and the villain will still lose anyway. It is a weird cycle of, Batman won't ever kill so we need a story that tests this thing. Really it is a question of a late age Batman, when really the criminals and the like understand what his modus operandi are.
>>
>>121092949
What about it?
>>
>>121092460
/co/ is always filled with casuals and secondaries.
>>
>>121092934
>comedy
>about racism
>in 2021
I don't think I can accept a racist neo-nazi's opinion on this. If you find it funny, you should donate everything you own to charities supporting PoC and literally hang yourself.
>>
>>121092955
>I don't think it was ever all meant to make sense. I mean really you have to take it with a grain of salt
This is the only way you can read comics without descending into the petty minutiae of questions about why someone doesn't do x. It is forgettable entertainment or soap opera and most of the best stories end up out of continuity or standalone.
>>
>>121092734
>Reply to this if you are so petty to get the last word because I'm fucking done with this, fucking /co/ is the dumbest board on this fucking hellhole
See ya tomorrow
>>
>>121091713
Because he's been known to do things that would make you wish you were dead.
>>
>>121093043
It is a question of suspension of disbelief.
>>121092955
>Really it is a question of a late age Batman
As soon as Batman becomes more of an establishment figure he loses that hiding in the shadows mystique. Especially if he is on big teams like the Justice League and not hiding in the shadows.
>>
>>121091713
Just because I know Batman wont kill me doesn't mean I want to be in a full body cast for six months and be stuck with the hospital bill.
>>
>>121093191
>It is a question of suspension of disbelief.
One can only suspend disbelief so much before it descends into nonsense where one is unable to make emotional connections.
>>
>>121093432
Oh yeah absolutely but I think the problem is when you try and change what cape comics are. Comics are like an ongoing soap opera and you don't need to watch every every episode of a soap opera to be able to jump in.
>>
>>121093497
>Comics are like an ongoing soap opera and you don't need to watch every every episode of a soap opera to be able to jump in.

It's the opposite for me. I can't get emotionally invested in Superhero comics anymore because I know thats how they get you. Like a drug dealer.
A story needs to have an ending and the status quo needs to change and develop as things go on. But if Gotham City is always going to be a corrupt cesspit, Lex Luthor and Joker are always going to get away with it, if Spider-Man is never going to grow up. If nothing is ever going to get better, then what is the point of even caring?
>>
>>121093575
Kinda think we are talking about two different points. Being a soap opera isn't necessarily a bad thing it just requires decent storytelling and growth. I loved Claremont's X-Men and characters did grow. All my favourite comics are when characters did grow. (You think I am saying I don't want this?)

What I more meant is the "suspension of disbelief" thing is more about how petty questions can easily be answered by saying that not everything is in continuity and it shouldn't all be in one straight timeline. As in, the OP's question, Batman not killing makes sense earlier in his career before his ways are known and the mystique is gone. And those questions compound even though they can be explained away.

>But if Gotham City is always going to be a corrupt cesspit, Lex Luthor and Joker are always going to get away with it
That's why we need stories to explore these things. The problem being that often when we get a story that tries to answer an ethical question or change a status quo, the next writer undoes it or the audience rejects the change.
>>
>>121091713
he still beats the shit out of you lol
>>
>>121091713
Due to the sodomy they recieve from him
>>
>>121093575
Same. I just can't get into them anymore. What's the point? Both the stories and floppies are useless. They move at a snail's pace and are retconned two years later, while costing 4 bucks for a worthless piece of paper.
>>
>>121091713
If I break both your legs and mutilate you, that's probably worse than killing you. I don't care if Batman doesn't kill: If he breaks both my arms and sends me to Blackstone, I'm a dead man.
Tyrone and Ahmed are going to make sure I die from anal bleeding.
>>
>>121092991
So yes, then?
>>
>>121093575
Because it's entertaining to watch Superman fight Lex Luthor? What's the point of Calvin and Hobbes? We never saw Calvin get old and give up his imaginary friend.
>>
>>121091828

hmm
>>
>>121091855
Bruce Wayne pays for everyone's hospital bills
>>121091713
because its the theatrics, he basically gets people to think he is a literal bat, to a schitzo vigilante who deosnt mind crippling people, basically the fear of torture, it doesnt matter if you have medical coverage, its the fear of pain and torture
>>
>>121091828
Because they were written that way by the people that wrote the books because the early christian movements didn't want to be associated with jews. Historically speaking it was likely the romans who feared him because it was like the third guy claiming to be the messiah. Authority and all that but we're talking about batman.
>>
>>121091713
>Why are so many people afraid of someone who can't even kill?
Because people still get killed, morons kill themselves trying to kill him, people disappear. Batman official doesn't kill, that doesn't mean the average criminal will trust the official narrative.
>>
>>121096368
Romans wouldn't have cared, as you pointed out he was far from the first person who claimed to be the messiah, there were several messianic movements active parallel to Jesus, and Jesus wasn't preaching for revolt. Historically speaking, Jesus more than likely was a Pharisee himself and would have been sentenced to death by a lower Roman court for driving out the money changers.
>>
>>121091828
Because, like Batman, he was bad for business and jeopardized their rackets
>>
>>121096513
>the gospels are just Stardust the Super Wizard after 2000 years of bowdlerization
>>
>>121091713
if Batman doesn't kill then how do you explain the deaths of Bruce Wayne's parents? checkmate
>>
>>121096935
fucking lol
>8 year old Bruce Wayne laughing at poor people
>Suddenly batman breaks into his house
>"You better finance medical care"
>"OR what batloser"
>Bruce's parents are fucking dead
>"F-FINE BATMAN, ILL DO IT"
>batman spanks bruce ass
>"You are my bitch now"
>>
>>121091713
But he can rape. That's why.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.