[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Would you call Mulan a feminist icon? She is a strong woman who can do a men's job better than any men, and yet I see more males being into her than girls. No little girl wants to be Mulan.
>>
>>120268132
What little girls are you hanging out with? Those girls suck. Mulan's cool.
>>
>>120268132
Because no little girl wants to be asian.
>>
>>120268132
Some do. When I was a little kid, the girls in my friend circle were watching power rangers and dragonball, so when Mulan came out most of them thought "finally, a disney princess that's cool".
>>
>>120268178
My sisters, no matter how much I shilled Mulan they still prefer Elsa.
>>
>>120268132
Mulan is the shit, they actually show her struggling and improving her strengths and overall her intelligence is what brought victory twice, none of that "but I'm MORE STRONGESTEST THAT MAN" forced bullshit.
>>
>>120268132
Best Disney Princess by far

>No little girl wants to be Mulan.
Yeah, white girls.
>>
>>120268132
no because she played by the man's rules if she was an feminist icon she would changes things for the betterment of all woman and would not hide.
>>
at least she's not tiana who still has her dayjob at the end of the movie
>>
>>120268224
Well that's their problem, my first Disney Princess I ever saw was Mulan. You can't force them to like a princess.
>>
>>120268224
>Elsa
That explains everything, nobody wants to be Johnny quest, they want to be Captain America or Iron Man, superpowers, (even if they are not really superpowers) are cooler
>>
File: 1508806796341.jpg (465 KB, 900x2588)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>120268267
>>
>>120268132
Mulan has been a feminist icon in China for centuries and boys and girls love Mulan. The only reason I think a girl wouldn't like Mulan is if they buy into the idea that girls shouldn't be in the army because that's only for boys.
>>
>>120268307
dear god the seething!
>>
>>120268307
no one seethes like an aging woman
>>
>>120268132
As a little white girl it was hard to want to be Mulan because clearly I am not Chinese. It did however make me take scissors to my hair (which was an awful decision) and wish I could be a badass.

It's a good movie, the real Mulan was fun to learn about as a result of watching the movie, the sequel absolutely missed the point about Mulan, and the live action remake is reportedly ass.

I know more women who like belting out "I'll make a man out of you" than men though so.
>>
>>120268224
>Could like a cool fighter woman who pushes against convention and saves her country
>Choose to love a depressed shut-in who abandons her country to go on an emotional bender

I'm sorry, anon.
>>
>>120268224
Disown them
>>
>>120268286
I'm sure an ancient, patriarchal society would have a totally rational reaction to a woman being found in their ranks.
>>
>>120268307
She's hella cute though damn
>>
>>120268224
It's your family's fault for living in a monarchist dystopia.
>>
>>120268132 (OP)
>Would you call Mulan a feminist icon?
No.
>She is a strong woman who can do a men's job better than any men
No, she's a strong woman who can do a man's job just as good as a man. And she did it for two reasons;

1, To substitute for her father who was in no proper physical condition for conscription and had no sons to take his place.
2, To contribute to the war effort to end it quicker so that she could immediately resume her obligations, duties and proper place as a daughter and a woman.

Mulan is not a feminist icon because what she did WAS NOT for her sake or her gender. She did what she did out of love for her father, devotion to her country and her family and where she belonged within those.
>>
>>120268224
Cause Mulan actually had to work to get where she is while Elsa was born both royalty and all powerful goddess
>>
>>120268178
fpbp
>>
>>120268418
While she obviously wasn't fighting for gender equality on a grander social scale, her deeds did proof that the very concept of gender equality was a feasible, possible thing. Most people just like to assume she never faced any gender-based discrimination after the war was over, even if that's likely not what happened to real life Mulan.
>>
>>120268418
>She did what she did out of love for her father
That is why I can never take the assertion that Mulan is a feminist icon seriously. She loves her father dearly, and her reconciliation with him at the end is easily one of the most heartwarming moments ever put in a Disney film (I still tear up at "The greatest gift and honor is having you for a daughter.").
>>
>>120268664
OP confused "feminist role model" with "feminist icon"
>>
>>120268132
>and yet I see more males being into her than girls. No little girl wants to be Mulan.
yea she's definitely a feminist icon then
>>
>>120268436
>>120268406
>>120268374
>>120268366
>>120268303
>>120268301

I don't wanna give too much credit to my sisters, the truth to me is that they lived a time where Elsa and her song got pushed everywhere. Kids want to be popular and media controls whats popular. Also I don't remember Mulan herself having her own catchy song.

Still I told her Elsa sucks and Mulan is the only princess worth a shit, but nothing to do there. They liked Chel and Esmeralda too so eh. Yes I know Chel is not a princess.
>>
>>120268132
Mulan killed a guy, she's my hero.
>>
Mulan never actually becomes a princess or is born as one.

she's a hero, that much is certain.
>>
>>120268996
>I don't wanna give too much credit to my sisters, the truth to me is that they lived a time where Elsa and her song got pushed everywhere. Kids want to be popular and media controls whats popular
tfw I got invited to a birthday party for a coworkers's daughter, told me it was gonna be Disney Princess themed so I bought an Elsa doll as a gift bc Frozen was mad popular at the time and when I arrived I saw Belles everywhere and the little girl was dressed as Belle too
>>
>>120268664
>That is why I can never take the assertion that Mulan is a feminist icon seriously. She loves her father dearly.

While I agree that Mulan isn't a "feminist icon," you make it sound like feminists hate their fathers as a rule.
Despite loving her father, Mulan flagrantly disobeyed him and the patriarchal traditions of her society. That's kind of what feminism is all about. It's easy to see how people would get the idea that Mulan is all about feminism despite the fact that she hardly brings attention to her own or anyone else's gender throughout the movie.
>>
>>120268307
What the fuck is this, some Facebook group for middle aged closet lesbians?
>>
>>120268132
Women don't actually like proactive heroines, they like princesses.
They like an exalted status in society, beauty and most of all a singing voice.
They can harp on about the importance of role models and gender non-conformity, but at the end of the day girls from every walk of life are fueled by vanity.
>>
>>120269330
21st century feminism is first and foremost about misandry.
>>
>>120268664
>she can't be a feminst
>SHE LOVES HER DAD
I doubt that even the most man hating radfem would cite not loving your dad as a prerequisite for feminism.
>>120269497
They said the same of 20th century feminism. And they were as full of shit then too.
>>
>>120269497
Oh you poor dear. So oppressed by those nasty women.
>>
>>120269577
here's one of them now
>>
File: Untitled.png (537 KB, 494x488)
537 KB
537 KB PNG
>strong woman who wants to protect her father from dying in war
>has to fight and struggle
>can't just overpower her enemies, has to be clever about it
>needs the help of pretty much every character in the movie, so it feels like a team effort

Thank goodness for the live action remake, that just made her kung fu jesus, so she can magically beat all the silly boys by herself thanks to voodoo magic chosen one prophecy bullshit.
>>
>>120269520
>I doubt that even the most man hating radfem would cite not loving your dad as a prerequisite for feminism
oh come on there's at least one
>>
>>120268664
>>120269497
Extremely good bait.
>>
>>120268224
Mulan and Elsa’s movies were 15 years apart. I think it’s mostly just the princess you grew up with.
>>
>>120270336
yeah, you can’t expect little girls to like characters from before they were born
>>
>>120268132
>>120268224
It's very simple. Mulan doesn't do anything girly.

Elsa is nothing but girliness.
>>
Most women are actually attracted to girly aesthetics and feminine behaviors. Those tastes developed through centuries of social evolution, they don't want to be dirty and butch. The only thing they really crave is agency, which is what Mulan was truly after, that makes her a popular role model, but it makes her hard to market to little girls because her dress isn't the thing she's "known for" it's the armor. But Mulan didn't want to wear dude clothes, she just wanted respect. She's still wearing a dress at the end and getting ready to bang the Captain.
>>
Old Mulan:
>Work hard and use your wits to overcome obstacles and in the end prove everyone wrong
New Mulan:
You are a perfect already, if only other people would just accept how awesome you are, then your life would be great

In the end I can kinda understand why they went with that route, maybe Disney has some data on little girls who thinks they're amazing and they just kinda wanted to pander that. Kinda like how powerful Elsa is already.
>>
>>120268224
>>120268132
Everyone knows asian women are the worst women. It’s why liking them is associated with being beta or a lesser man.
>>
File: before and after.jpg (150 KB, 800x800)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>120270593
>Elsa is nothing but girliness.
Then why did they shrink her boobs in the sequel?
She's more like a genderless forest spirit now. It's a crime against femininity.
>>
>>120268224
Elsa is an incredibly beautiful and powerful woman who is ultimately independent and can do what she wants.
Mulan is an ugly chink who is ultimately still just a follower/servant of the emperor.
>>
>>120268132
>a feminist icon
This term is so 'buzzfeed'-esque. It sounds like something a hack web journalist would type up.
>>
>>120269497
> 21st century
El oh el
You have a lot to learn

>>120269520
They were right then and they were right in every century before that

Back to your le feminist theory book clubs
>>
>>120269520
>>120270272
hello /co/mblr
shave your legs
>>
>>120271134
>They were right then
They weren't. Despite all the bullshit she had to put up with, Mary Wollstonecraft didn't hate men, she just hated being beholden to men because she was a woman.
>>120271170
tumblr is dead. Get a new boogeyman.
>>
Well at the end of the day, Mulan is a murderer. May have been for the right reasons and all that, but those are still some exceptionally bloody hands. I imagine the number of little girls who identity with that are few and far between.
>>
>>120270149
Find me one; then.
>>
>>120270674
The real truth is they wanted it to play well in China, but can't have a narrative where the heroine disobeys the social hierarchy through force of will. So they made Mulan's specialness the result of Chi in order to give China the wiggle room to say he strength is a special circumstance and she would never be able to rise above her station in real life, so no one out there get any ideas.
>>
>>120268132
I don’t really give much of a shit about feminism but yeah sure. Mulan is definitely a good role model.
>>
>>120268132
Mulan is a strong female protagonis done right, mostly because she is selfless and not a mary sue from the start, she challenged social conventions only because she wanted to save her father's life, so she ended up being likable unlike Merida, for exemple.
>>
>>120271263
>the founder of 'feminism' wanted to educate women to make them better wives and mothers
>grew more conservative as she got older
Kek. That's only 1 feminist. A lot of the 19th century ones wanted to eat their cake and have it and generally didn't care about 'equal rights' but just wanted more power for themselves. This was basically most of the womeme activists in the States and in Anglo shitholes. Upper class women who wanted even more privileges. Then with the 2nd and 3rd waves it got increasingly diluted and infected like a town whore and you get what you have today.

Then you have people like (You) who come onto here and attempt to make 'feminism' look based when for almost all of history it has been anything but and just a tool for women to acquire even more advantages in life and be the police on gender issues. You and your similarly-minded ilk should join the liberal arts major tripfags who left this place many years ago and skedaddle the fuck out
>>
>>120268132
reminder, Mulan is not a tomboy, wreck it ralph lies
>>
>>120269520

Probably not as a prerequisite, but radfems from Dworkin on have argued that since consent is impossible where one party has power over the other and since we live in a patriarchal society where men have power over women, all heterosexual sex is rape. So you may not have to hate your dad, but you do have to believe that he raped your mom. So, you know, six of one...

Though honestly this is why the radfems are actually easier for me to deal with than your "vague amorphous blob of progressive happywords" feminism. Radfems actually take their psychotic ideology seriously. "Men are the oppressor, fucking them is giving aid and comfort to the enemy, therefore don't shave your legs and learn to like the taste of pennies and milk.". It's crazy, but its crazy that is at least a little bit internally consistent.

Even if you don't think being motivated by a desire to protect her dad disqualifies her from being a feminist icon, going back to her dad looking for his approval and forgiveness then getting married certainly does.
>>
>>120271070
Tranny culture is making breasts a taboo feature because breasts are inherently feminine and serve as a reminder that they're not equal to a natural born female. Why else do you think shows like Steven Universe and new She-Ra refuse to put breast lines on any of their women, instead opting for awkward barrel chests? People pretend it's because they don't want to attract the "male gaze" but it's really because they want to eliminate the idea of breasts as a desirable trait for girls. Mark my words, zoomer girls are going to grow up feeling like they're bad if they're stacked because the Androgynous kid in class doesn't know what to call themselves and cries when the subject of puberty comes up. Boys will be ridiculed for being attracted to a nice pair and refusing to find the flat heshe as appealing "Omg, Kevin, why won't you take Pat to the prom, she's a nice girl and she likes you", and he'll be sent to the principal's office for a reprimend if he ever dares let on he knows Pat ain't really a Patty.

In 2013, Elsa confidently strutting through her castle with a slit let dress and a confident bust was meant to emphasis that she'd embraced her independence as an adult. She was a woman ready to roar. But that's forbidden now, no one is allowed to grow past childhood or else it's exclusion to the student adults who make kid's media their whole personality.
>>
>>120268307
>the sheer amount of cope in this image
>>
>>120271760
I don't know why 'libfems' try to distinguish themselves from radical feminists. As far as normal people are concerned they're just dyke-lites with softer language and failed attempts to be 'intersectional'. At least radicals are honest about their intentions and goals.

Not to mention, they rightfully openly shit on male feminists and the ones that are attracted to men are attracted to typical 'gross' men or even outright chauvinists far more.

It's like when people go B-BUT MUH FIRST WAVE, as if it hasn't been full of crazy coots from near it's origins and the well hasn't been poisoned for that long.
>>
>>120268307
It's the female equivalent of "i could beat this guy's ass"
>>
>>120271070
What it means to be a woman has changed since 2013.
>>
>>120271870
But I definitely could beat this guy's ass
>>
>>120268307
kek holy fuck, the absolute roastie seethe. Not even 1 single good looking profile pic from any of them
>>
>>120271871
You mean "died" It's died since 2013
>>
>>120268132
Nah dude Mulan was my fav disney character growing up. I was Mulan for halloween twice
>>
>>120268286
>if she was an feminist icon she would changes things for the betterment of all woman
Being raped by Huns is better for women?
>>
>>120268132
Because women don't want to be powerful through hard work. Thread closed.
>>
>>120271800
Take your pills
>>
>>120268418
She's feminist in the old sense of the word, 'women can do anything men can do with commiserate effort, (and should be allowed to do so).' She isn't feminist in the modern social marxist sense.
>>
File: 1549563122956-618x369.jpg (39 KB, 618x369)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>120268307
Reminds me of when Tidying up with Marie Kondo first released on Netflix.

The absolute SEETHING from white girls on Twitter being absolutely mad as fuck by a qt japanese girl telling them how to clean up and do their laundry
>>
>>120271954
>social marxist sense
So the old sense of the word?
>>
>>120271896
If I wanted to be melodramatic about it, sure.
>>
>>120268406
Mulan's China was a monarchy too
>>120268132
Good, don't associate with the plague bearers
>>
>>120271891
I bet you could big boy, i bet you could
>>
>>120271573
Now Merida, there's a character little girls don't even remember exist unless they have red hair and a seafood allergy.
Because some girls will latch onto charters with similar traits to them and Ariel is the superiors redhead.
>>
Worse some people really want her to be a tranny icon. In this age doing actions dominated by the other sex is now a simbol of being a tranny
>>
>>120271871
I wish we could go back.
>>
obligatory Mulan thread question: Was Shang bisexual?
>>
>>120272962
The term they love to throw around is "male-coded". It makes my skin crawl.
>>
>>120268132
>"girls don't want to be princesses"
>literally no little girl wants to be Mulan as oppessed to all the other princesses
mfw
>>
>>120268307
Sounds exactly like the kind of white cope from males on this site when someone posts an attractive African woman. Half of them say, delicious brown, the other half say ugly sheboon with a wig.

Actually, I see the similar comments from men (s-oy boy, fag, beta, simp) when there's a man that women find attractive. That guy who played Edward Cullen was the target of a lot of hate for a while, at least until the threw his fangirl base under the bus.
>>
>>120268132
>Would you call Mulan a feminist icon?
Yes, but her own personal views on gender roles weren't actually relevant. She was just an incredibly concerned daughter that resorted to extremes for her father's sake. Her realistically being worthless at first and then earning the men's respect should inspire anybody. A more feminist message would be her joining "just because" and already having average male combat prowess.
>>
>>120268132
To be honest I didn’t made Mulan my favorite princess until I became a adult. Even the movie was my favorite I didn’t find any special qualities she had. She basically a normal girl who is badass. I should’ve look up to her growing up because I mostly project my self on male characters because a lot of many shows had boys with superpowers and protagonists...
>>
>>120268132
Because Mulan is a farmers daughter who fought her way to the top, instead of getting it handed to her.
>>
>>120268132
The movie doesn't challenge the different roles of men and women, it emphasizes them. Mulan doesn't go into battle to prove that women are as capable in battle as men or to break social norms, she goes into battle as an only resort means to protect her father. Treating Mulan as a feminist grl pwer movie is a shallow interpretation.
>>
The answer here is simple: Which Disney princess would win in a steel-cage Battle Royale?
>>
bump
>>
>>120272039
But it didn't glorify some protag monarch who is beloved simply for being born. Not only does it glorify an evil form of government that humanity has bled for thousands of years to break free of, it plants the seed listless lack of ambition in the minds of children by motivating them to idolize people who were born into success rather than earned it through merit. It's particularly pernicious in its poisoning of female minds, who must fight that much harder to make up for previous generations of sexism. Disney puts billions of USD into brainwashing little girls into idolizing entitled tyrants.
>>
File: EhMAFRMU4AE3se5.png (506 KB, 852x532)
506 KB
506 KB PNG
Nu-Mulan is anything but woke.
The big emotional climax is Mulan accepting her place as a humble servant of China. Then the individualistic witch kills herself because she's so awestruck at Mulan's devotion to the empire.
>>
>>120273921
It emphasizes that they're unnecessary. When trained, Mulan is at least the equal of the soldiers immediately at her side; before that, she was an incredibly crappy bride. The message there isn't "different roles between sexes are important and to be emphasized", its "the different roles are not good determiners of a person's actual potential."
>>
>>120268307
>all old hags
>not a single beauty among them
>>
File: EhMACGAUwAAXZ9m.png (558 KB, 879x550)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>120275503
The witch also represented LGBT people and tried to sway Mulan to the dark side.
>>
>>120268132
>who can do a men's job better than any men
She found different ways to make up for her lack of natural strength. It's not "better", just resourceful.
>No little girl wants to be Mulan.
Wrong
>>
>>120269364
>lesbians shitting on qt asian gril
Uhhhh
>>
>>120275627
>>120275503
wait... was there even a witch in the original movie?
>>
>>120268178
>What little girls are you hanging out with? Those girls suck
That's the best part
>>
>>120268132
Because Mulan actually did shit and still manages to be cute
Tell me any other princess that has a 100,000:1 K/D ratio
Also she actually entered into the world of men and thus understands that being a man is fucking hard and she also did it because her dad would die and she still stuck to her obligations as a woman
Also she rocks in KH2
>>
File: 1607396316631.png (2.44 MB, 1030x1567)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
>>120268307
>Posting the unfinished version
>>
>>120276194
>TL:DR Social media is full of really insecure people
>>
>>120273208
No
>>
>>120271953
Die
>>
>>120268132
Yes because she is what a feminist should strive to be
A stron independent woman who keeps her countries borders safe by killing illegals trying to destroy their way of life
>>
File: EhMLSc7U4AIip8m.png (55 KB, 761x449)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>120275799
There wasn't.
>>
>>120276194
>lmao men jealous of hot Asian guy.
>>120273495
Called it.
>>120276279
>whores just jealous of beautiful Asian girls
>...both sides...
>>
>>120276424
>nooooo white men can't be insecure they can't have any faults at all it's just the roasties noooooo stop it
>>
I really like Mulan. I just don't think anything could beat Elsa's popularity.

>>120268307
She's definitely cute, but I've seen much cuter asians(probably due to makeup). Am I missing something here or am I just another seething roastie? The asian guy is hot ASF though. Asian guys are underrated(and no the girls who fetishize kpop stars don't count).
>>
File: perfection.jpg (89 KB, 768x768)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>120268224
Smart girls.
>>
>>120276468
>insecure
You mean jealous of a non white guy?
>>
>>120274161
Depends on how big the cage is and if weapons/powers are allowed, Mulan takes it if it's hand-to-hand or even with weapons since she's the only one with actual military training, though Kiva and may Merida could put up a decent fight. If you include personal powers then Elsa sweeps since she can freeze everyone else solid, though this is assuming she's willing to go lethal like that. If you can call in allies then Jasmine has it because Genie is probably the single strongest character in the movies.
>>
>>120275741
It's called jealousy and repressed desire, anon, common among closeted homosexuals
>>
>>120275741
>All lesbians are friends
They're still women, anon
>>
>>120276424
Tell me how the women are jealous but the men aren't jealous.
>>
>>120276674
Ice doesn't have to be lethal, Elsa can just immobilize them while Anna can deliver the pain (presumably they'd be on a team)
>>
>>120271999
no Marx literally thot patrolled feminists trying to take over the cause
>>
>>120268381
It worked out for Joan of Arc.

Not in the long run, of course.
>>
>>120276980
>Anna assisting Elsa
Didn't think of that because I thought the battle royale implied it was last princess standing, but I'd say that Anna actually hurts Elsa's chances because she's got no training and the others could easily figure out that Elsa won't hit her, so she's liable to be dogpiled/distract Elsa enough for the others to get her.
>>
>>120269520
>They said the same of 20th century feminism. And they were as full of shit then too.
no 20th century feminism was literally about being mysognistic. The 20th century feminists HATED women, and agreed with the Freudian idea that "women are children" but then cried "we are only children because of you!"
>>
>>120277075
>"I'm sorry Anna, this is for your own good"
>she freezes her sister solid for her protection, then proceeds to wipe out everyone else
>>
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Post Mulan ass.
>>
“Feminism” is as useless a term as “socialism” or “fascism,” in that they mean whatever a supporter or opponent wants them to mean.
>>
>>120270593
That's why Mulan makes for a better femdom than Elsa.

Elsa is too insecure to truly give me that cbt feel.

Mulan can bust my nut.

Unf
>>
>>120277028
based and true

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.