[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Could Cerebus be translated and still retain its charm given how much of it comes from how effective the lettering is?
>>
>>111641729
Cerberus has charm?
>>
File: 3XxLjKb.jpg (617 KB, 1125x1500)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
Hard no. The sheer volume of text is already a high hurdle to cross, but in a lot of cases the words are part of the art, you'd have to either redraw a significant amount of pages or somehow fit a lengthy translator's note on every page.
>>
>>111641867
Also, the way Sim did accents phonetically straight up wouldn't work in a translation.
>>
Is there anything not in English that can be considered as "untranslatable"?
>>
Is Cerebus actually worth reading? I'm intrigued but I've also heard that it goes off the rails at some point and of course there's a lot of controversy about the author
>>
File: 1447601408597.jpg (166 KB, 1345x864)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>111642341
This image speaks for itself
>>
>>111641729
>>111641867
>>111641947
I pity the poor souls who think this looks "good".
>>
>>111642592
Post good lettering
>>
>>111642592
ngmi
>>
>>111642641
>WELL HOW ABOUT THE LETTERS??
They display a lot of telling signs regarding mental illness. I'll admit that's fun to notice.
>>
>>111642341
Cerebus is absolutely worth reading. It's my favorite comic of all time, but's also got some of the worst issues of any comic I've ever read, particularly near the end. Despite what people might try and tell you, the author's insane beliefs don't negatively impact the comic until the last 20ish issues (provided you skip the text passages in Reads). I highly recommend you read it, provided you keep in mind that it doesn't start getting Really Good until 25 issues in.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.