[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1674652814385310.jpg (343 KB, 3200x1680)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
What are the technical reasons our pots aren't insulated? Think about it: just heat it up once and it keeps (almost)boiling for hours. Why are modern pots still just a thin sheet of metal?
>>
You can't pots but I have plenty of bowls and cups that are double wall vacuum insulated. That's where they shine.
>>
>>18855272
External heating would not only take too long (because it's fucking insulated) but also fuck up the insulation
>>
>>18855272
A lot of pots and pans have a layer of copper that pretty much acts as insulation.
>>
>>18855293
Copper has higher thermal conductivity than iron, so it makes the pan heat up more evenly.

Iron actually has a higher specific heat capacity.
>>
>>18855272
>place insulated pan on the burner
>takes 3 hours to get water to boil
>external material is charred black or red hot, insulation material inside shattered to pieces
>>
>>18855272
for something to keep boiling you need a constant input of energy
>>
anyway this comes from >>>/g/91111483
a jannie moved it
and i quote myself bc why not:
>In fact they exist and they were used in the old times.
>A post about the topic
>https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2014/07/cooking-pot-insulation-key-to-sustainable-cooking.html
>I guess the easiest way would be to cover a pot with an insulated non flamable material, which is the principle of firelless coocking
>But there also are:
-pot skirts
-pressure cookers
>and you can use the three of them together. >check the blog

I am not saying that is practical but you could do a thermo in which only the internal part is used in induction, ie the rest of the flask is aluminium
>>
>>18855764
Lol no, jannies can't move threads.
>>
>>18855272
There's no reason you can't cook in stoneware (like a molcajete) or earthenware vessels -- there are vessels made specifically to go on modern stoves like that, and as you might expect they are very good insulators. They are more useful for open fire pits outdoors, however, because they will provide an even heat output to the food despite a very inconsistent flame, but they are definitely good for long slow cooking like stewing over days.

Get a molcajete and look up recipes for it. You can probably find one relatively easily in ethnic-area shops in any city in the U.S.
>>
>>18856556
well someone announced that it was "moved" to here, actually just the ops message, and then the thread was closed.
take it however you want
The important part is that maybe someone want to check what it was talked in /g/
>>
>>18857781
That was me, was just shitposting.
>>
>>18855272
You'd have to be heating it from the inside for insulated pots to make sense.
>>
>>18855293
High thernal conductivity means it loses heat faster mate.
>>
>>18857826
this, instant pot chads we just can’t stop winning can we?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.