[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ZjBbsWm.jpeg.jpg (349 KB, 1536x2048)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
How much seasoning is too much?
>>
>>18846610
over 9000 gallons of seasoning probably
>>
>>18846610
do the same but post your cock next
>>
File: 48912653462634.png (217 KB, 446x450)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
reddit repost thread
>>
Britain thought it too much and got the push back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fy3tSim3to
>>
Enforce the king's will. Bullshit and fuck off you england faggots!
>>
>>18846610
Something tells me this is one of those Chinesium skillets that was seasoned from the sweatshop with paint.
>>
>>18846848
China stuff, wouldn't that be a wok, not a skillet?
>>
why are you reposting content from reddit?
go talk about this on reddit if you care that much
>>
File: proxy-image (16).jpg (4 KB, 318x159)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>18847857
Maybe OP doesn't want to talk to redditors. Did you think of that?
>>
>>18847866
then why did he come to 4chan
>>
File: .gif (2.29 MB, 360x270)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB GIF
>>18847883
>>
>>18846610
Reddit or not... How many times did he season it? I'd kind of want to try making an egg on it for laughs.
>>
>>18848145

He did eggs at 50 coats and they slid right off.
>>
superior japanese cast iron seasoned over 200 times
>>
>>18846610
Anything after half a dozen coats is probably overkill.
>>
>>18846610
How does one "season" a skillet and what is the purpose
>>
>>18850376
Apply a thin coat of oil to the skillet, burn off the volatile components in a hot oven, leaving a hard, somewhat glossy and non-stick coating of organic polymer. It is brown in color. Unseasoned cast iron is silvery grey. Combined, the two make the skillet look jet black. It prevents the pan from rusting, and food from sticking. It is better to apply multiple thin coats than one thick coat because it takes forever to fully bake out a thick coat and is likely to be gummy. The process is very smoky. New pans come preseasoned, but it's not enough coats to be good yet.
>>
>>18850789
Cast iron has poor conductivity, but very high thermal mass. Because of the former, it must be preheated before cooking to account for hot and cold spots. Because of the latter it excels at searing meats and deep frying. It is also extremely durable and can be used on stovetops, ovens, coals, and fires. Its one weakness is acids. Acid cuts through the polymerized oil "seasoning" layer, so it is not a good choice for simmering tomato sauces and similar. You want to use enameled cast iron or steel for that.
>>
>>18850789
No shit huh so stay away from plastic handle skillets because they can't go in oven
>>
>>18850809
Cast iron skillets with plastic or wooden handles can't go in the oven. Usually they come with metal knobs on the lids. You can usually find skillet handle slip covers that fit them made out of high temp silicone or leather. I don't use those. I use welding gloves as my regular oven mitts, and just wear one on my pot handling hand.
>>
>>18850789
Also, I just spray olive oil on the skillet and stick in the oven for how long/temp?
>>
>>18850821
There's a lot of weird lore out there about what type of oil to use. I don't care. Use whatever. Pretty sure everything works more or less. Important thing is to not apply a super thick coat for each bake-on. Wipe on, wipe off. Bake at about 450ºF, but not over 500ºF. Too hot and it'll turn the polymers to ash. Too low (300ºF) and it takes fucking forever, or never smokes. Basically, it's done baking on when it stops smoking. Could take an hour per coat. Keep your eye on it. Crack some windows.
>>
>>18850821
I personally recommend a higher temp oil.i personally do 450F for 30-60 minutes

Use a paper towel to apply the oil, you only want a VERY thin coat (basically just use the paper towel to wipe down the entire skillet)
>>
>>18850830
Some people like to bake it upside-down to prevent puddling in the pan, which makes it take fucking forever. If the first coat come out looking splotchy, don't panic. Do another thin coat and it'll build up on top of that and even out. Some people don't season in the oven at all and just say fuck it, then cook really fatty food on it to season while cooking.
>>
You can handwash cast iron skillets with dish soap. Don't believe the lies that you can't. You CANNOT wash them in the dishwasher. Dishwasher detergent strips the seasoning.
>>
>>18850837
If it's pooling at ALL you've used far too much oil.
The oil coat should be almost dry that's how thin you want each coat.
>>
>>18850848
What do you wash it with then
>>
>>18850882
Dish soap and hot water in the sink. Dry it off, then rub a little oil on it with a paper towel if I'm not going to use it for a long time.
>>
bump
>>
Wait you’re actually supposed to put it in the oven? I just rub it with some vegetable oil and leave it on the stove for a bit
>>
>>18852749
lol yes, it's supposed to go in the oven (though I know some people use their grills outside because of the smoke)
>>
>>18852749
This is fine.
>>18852758
Only if you want to take care of your cast iron like it was a sports car or something.
>>
>>18852788
You should preheat your oven, and even preheat your cast iron a bit to open up the pores more.

I usually let my cast iron sit in the oven while it preheats, then take the cast iron out after ~10 minutes and let it cool for a minute before applying a thin coat of oil with a paper towel, then wipe away any excess oil so it's almost dry. Then put it in the oven at 450f for ~45 minutes and then let it cool down fully before starting the process over again for another coat.

I like to do 5-6 coats to start a pan and 2-3 coats if I'm just taking care of a pan that's been neglected for a little while and doesn't need a full grind down and re-season.

Using the stove top burner is a good way to get an uneven seasoning layer since you're polymerizing at different rates depending on what part of your pan is heating up first. The center of your pan is likely burning by the time the oil on the edges has had time to get up to polymerizing temp. Which is why you want to use an oven where you can heat up the entire pan equally.
>>
>>18846640
Sincce you can fry icecream without it being melted, could you eggwash and bread your dick and stick it in hot oil without it burning your dick and have a fried dick afterwards?
>>
Never did the oven thibg. Just seasoned 3 Coates over the stove when I first got the pan, and wiped it down with a little oil after every cooking so it automatically seasons a little bit every time after.
Never had problems with food sticking, so anything more than that is just wasted time and energy
>>
>>18852873
The frozen ice cream insulates the batter your cock and balls will not
>>
>>18852829
>a full grind down
You shouldn't ever be taking a grinder to one of these things.
>>
>>18852749
>I just rub it with some vegetable oil and leave it on the stove for a bit
Heating the pan to 450 degrees or more on your stove means different parts will be much hotter than other parts, which could easily cause warpage.
>>
>>18853406
Why the fuck not? It's cast iron, if I remove a 10th of a millimeter of iron from the surface, big fucking deal.

If you're removing rust from a neglected vintage pan you will be sanding it by hand or using a grinder with the proper pad and proper grit or an orbital sander with the proper pad and grit.

Obviously you don't want to use a super aggressive pad and just remove huge chunks from your pan, but if you're using the right pads and aren't a retard there should be no issue.
>>
>>18846610
everything on this site is reddit reposts now
>>
>>18853478
It's the wrong tool for the job. If you want to strip the seasoning, use lye or electrolysis. Even if you were trying to smooth out the surface, I guarantee it will be rougher and wavier after you go at it with a hand grinder than if you'd just left it alone.
>>
>>18853374
So you are saying I need to freeze my cock and balls first before battering?
>>
>>18853502
No fuck yourself, I'll do what everyone else does unless they're autistic.
>>
>>18853607
Dunning-Kruger effect on full display here.
>>
>>18853607
Grinding the surface smooth is immensely autistic. Only dorks do this. Middle ground is adding more layers of seasoning in the oven. Not giving a shit is just using the damn thing and letting the seasoning build up by itself over time.
>>
>>18853550
The freezing will destroy your genitals anyways so I think you're better off cooking from body temp and optimizing for tenderness.
>>
whats the bare minimum i need to do on this shit
all i do now is
>scrub with water
>oil every couple days after scrub
pan looks and functions fine but its only a few months old. ive never done any of this oven or heating bullshit, do i actually have to fucking do that
>>
>>18853839
No. You're fine. If you notice a chip or a chip with a rusty spot, rub oil on it. It'll fill in when you preheat the thing next time you use it. The only benefit of seasoning in the oven is it gets more non-stick more quickly. 1 day = a month or two of use.
>>
>>18846610
wont at some point all the polymer buildup from oil+heat cause the heat conduction of the pan to suffer?
>>
>>18853898
No, but it can crack if it's too thick. That never seems to happen on the inside because tools knock it back. The outsides can look crackled.
>>
>>18853839
The bare minimum is hard to describe beyond the stunningly obvious "keep a bit of seasoning on your pan". If you're doing nothing but deep frying and sautees, you probably don't even need to touch up the seasoning after cleaning. If you're doing nothing but braises and acidic sauces, you're gonna need to touch up the seasoning every time you cook, plus probably a trip in the oven to get an even coat again at some point.
>>
>>18853839
you can use soap, the main thing that matters when cleaning are hard abrasives. The no soap thing was back when soap had lye
>>
>>18846610
It depends on the seasoning. If it’s parsley for example then there’s really no such thing as too much.
>>
Seasoning or curing cast iron is the biggest meme ever.

Cast iron is just like any other pan, you can wash it after every use; all you need to do to prevent rusting is putting it on top of the stove to thoroughly dry and then rub some oil on all the surfaces.

No, you do NOT have to bake it at high temperatures for long periods of time unless you're deliberately trying to poison your lungs.
>>
File: 1647386490431.gif (392 KB, 500x281)
392 KB
392 KB GIF
>>18856058
>cast iron
>seasoning
>parsley
>>
>>18856079
Lol oh I see what you mean
>>
>>18847883
based
>>
>>18850848
I prefer using Dr Bonners Castile soap cleaning my cast iron, it's less harsh to the seasoning.
>>
>>18856163
Most modern dish soaps that aren't industrial strength or specific lye-based formulas are pretty much fine to use on cast iron, the same shit that strips your seasoning is also not amazing for your skin, so most soaps don't use those ingredients anymore.
>>
>>18846610
Every time I clean my cast iron skillet with a scrubby sponge it turns white/grey/silver where I scrubbed, I'm pretty sure the seasoning is coming off. I'm just using dawn and the green side of a sponge, no clue what I'm doing wrong? Or is this normal?
>>
>>18856163
>>18856172
Why would you use soap at all? Even if it doesnt strip the seasoning you're washing off the oils which makes it prone to surface rust. The only time i've ever felt the need to wash my cast iron with soap is when I cook fish and it stinks up the next meal
>>
>>18856890
Because fuck you, that's why
>>
just buy lodge cast iron that is already seasoned, rub some oil on it after use and don't do stupid shit that would rust or remove the seasoning
that's it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.