[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG-20221122-WA0003.jpg (2.5 MB, 3840x2160)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
What am I doing wrong?

I have to constantly reseason it or else this shit shows up. It's always on the sides, never the bottom. It looks like dirty but it won't come off when I scrub it.
>>
File: IMG-20221122-WA0001.jpg (2.11 MB, 3840x2160)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
I always notice it after I clean it but if it were due to what I cook or how I clean it, why won't the bottom show it as well?
>>
not getting stainless is what you did wrong
>>
did you heat the pan after you wash it? If you don't it won't dry properly and will rust
>>
it's rust. wipe your pan down with a thin coat of oil before storing it.
>>
>>18611568
Always. Oddly enough I tend to notice the marks the moment I start heating it.

>>18611585
I'll try that. Should I still reseason this one time before I start doing so?
>>
>>18611520
That is food. It's stuck to your pan because you got a rough cast iron, which collects bits of food inside the grit of the texture. You can get it off by using a chain mail scrubber. It will take some muscle, but that's the common way to deal with food that's tough to get off the seasoning. Since you've seasoned several times, probably not having removed the food properly, you may have a lot of carbonized food layered in your seasoning, which might require a more abrasive scrubber and reseasoning.

You can also solve your problem by sanding the pan with literal sandpaper to make it smooth, and reseasoning, or (preferable) just by buying a different pan that just has a smooth cooking surface which is easier to clean.

There's one woman on this board who will try to gaslight you about how food doesn't stick to rough cast iron, and will probably troll the thread to oblivion, but IMO, that's not rust, it's food and this is the best advice you're going to get before the troll arrives.
>>
>>18611593
yes. if its rusting it means the bare metal is exposed to the air so the seasoning must have been scraped off while cooking or scrubbed off while cleaning
>>
>>18611513
>>18611520
It's food, not rust, as >>18611596 says. Sand it down smooth and re-season. It's a bit of work but you won't regret it, here's a step by step video if you need it: https://youtu.be/ljSQrSoSYAE
>>
Don't clean cast iron so much. Just wipe out food bits with plain water (no soap), rub on a little bit of oil if it looks dry, then put it back on the heat for a few minutes to dry. Once you have a good season you can use soap occasionally.
>>
>>18611596
>There's one woman on this board who will try to gaslight you about how food doesn't stick to rough cast iron, and will probably troll the thread to oblivion
Counting down to someone posting one of the webms....
>>
>>18611653
The no soap rule is only if you're still trying to get a better seasoning down and that's only if you're doing the stovetop method rather than the oven method. I've built seasoning in my cast iron just cooking with it over the past year and not even soap or vinegar heavy dishes affects the seasoning anymore.

>>18611513
If you want an easy way to season your pan, just buy bacon. Keep heat about medium, bring it up to high temperature, and fry 3-4 slices at a time while draining grease between sets of bacon. Once all the bacon is cooked, drain the grease one more time and throw in all the bacon again to crisp them up. The duration and quality of the fat will lay down a nice layer of seasoning in addition to the bacon for your meal.
>>
>>18611513
>>18611520
I finally got sick of it and grinded mine completely smooth
It can work bumpy with enough oil but I like making sugary glazes which is just a pain
>>
>>18611859
>sugary glazes
why wouldn't you just use stainless steel or copper at that point? they have smoother temperature distribution and much finer temperature control compared to cast iron.
>>
>>18611830
I disagree slightly on both of these points.

Ordinary dish soap isn't going to hurt your seasoning. It will affect leftover oil, though, which may be destined to become seasoning next time you cook with it, but that oil may also become rancid and sticky if you don't cook with it soon. The "lore" about no soap almost certainly hearkens back to your grandparents' time, when soap contained lye, and extremely caustic substance which will indeed dissolve seasoning.

I also don't think bacon is really that good for building seasoning, and I don't like to cook with it unless the pan has a thick layer of seasoning because all the sugar in it will stick to the pan. What I would recommend to build your seasoning is frying potatoes at a pretty high heat for an extended period of time. Any food frying, I think, tends to result in a more-seasoned cast iron pan than when I started.
>>
>>18611871
I put it on the meat to get a bit of char to be clear. Like Asian kinda dishes
Stainless is fine copper sticks horribly
Cast iron seems to handle bits of burnt sugar the best by far now that it's smooth
>>
>>18611885
>Stainless is fine copper sticks horribly
No one cooks *in* copper. Copper pans should always have some sort of lining, either stainless or tin. I'm not sure the chemistry, whether the copper itself is leaching into food or if it's reacting to create some harmful compounds, but it is considered unsafe to eat food cooked in copper.
>>
>>18611882
>bacon is really that good for building seasoning, and I don't like to cook with it unless the pan has a thick layer of seasoning because all the sugar in it will stick to the pan
where do you live that has sugar added to bacon?
>>
>>18611915
When was the last time you checked the ingredients on a pack of bacon? Go to your fridge now. I'll wait.
>>
>>18611513
Cast iron trannies are honestly hilarious
>>
>>18611923
the bacon i have says it's cured with salt and sugard, but the ingredients themselves say only pork. the nutrional information also mentions 0 sugar and 0 carbs. weird.
>>
>>18611882
>he doesn't use lye soap
>>
>>18611513
i like to smoke mine every now and then, then once it cools all that stuff has turned to powder lmao
>>
File: ingredients_en.4.full.jpg (541 KB, 1364x1868)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>18611937
In other words, there is some sugar in it. It's not enough to be nutritionally relevant, but it's enough to notice when cooking. When you get a hold of some bacon with zero sugar at all, you can really tell the difference in how it doesn't stick to the pan at the same heat settings.
>>
File: FPZatoKVQAI9ZOB.jpg (55 KB, 700x716)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>18611585
Spray can of canola oil is way easier and applies better
>>
>>18611585
>>18611965
Cooking oil will eventually go rancid and get sticky if you don't cook with it within a pretty short period of time from doing this. If you put your pan away dry, it's unlikely to rust.
>>
>>18611960
I dunno, if you get Smithfield Thick Cut bacon where you're at, lemme know if it's sugary in your opinion. I notice some stickage when I first add bacon at a very high heat, but nothing that actually sticks. I get the same result with ground beef desu, so I'm not sure if it's sugar.
>>
>>18611960
>walmart bacon
jesus anon, why do you hate yourself so much?
>>
>>18611926
You are mentally ill and you need help.
>>
>>18611596
>t. smoothbrain
>>
>>18611593
please tell me you aren't putting it in the dishwasher for fucks sake
>>
>>18612062
It's the most clear result from google images, smoothbrain. Literally all other bacon is cured in sugar.
>>
>>18612229
>Literally all other bacon is cured in sugar.
I really don't envy americans their food. You people put sugar in everything
>>
>>18612032
Not that anon, but I have Smithfield thick cut bacon and it does indeed stick to my cast iron pan noticeably more than the uncured bacon I occasionally get from a local farm.
>>
>>18611975
except that's exactly what happened to op
>>
>>18612689
When seasoned cast iron rusts, it doesn't rust in splotches like that, it rusts in isolated spots, as if a drop of water sat on the surface and left rust as it evaporated. As stated earlier, OP's pan is "stained" with food that glued itself to the pan while he was cooking and which he wasn't able to clean off with ordinary methods because rough cast iron is fucking terrible to cook in if you're not going to slather everything in oil.
>>
>>18611942
>>18612143
Are you the same troll?
>>
>he fell for the cuck iron meme
>>
A non stick teflon pan costs 20€ and lasts for years
>>
I was using this pan some years ago.. but I noticed the centered spots... is it part of seasoning or is it destroyed?? Shall I try to scrub and reuse this pan or throw it away??
>>
>>18614043
light scrub with a metal brush and its fine for u to use
>>
>>18612916
you realize that rust can form just from the moisture in the air, right? I've had multiple cast iron pans rust just like ops when I was a kid and didn't know how to take care or cast iron. It's rust. The seasoning didn't adhere in those spots. The rust needs scrubbed off and the pan researched. a properly seasoned pan doesn't need a protective layer of oil for short term storage, but a poorly seasoned one does.
>>
>>18614043
looks like rust bubbles under the seasoning you might have to sand that area smooth before reseasoning
>>
>>18614066
>>18614070
Sorry that I didn't clarify... But this pan is aluminium... It's not cast iron made
>>
>>18614109
I think I've found your problem.
If it's not cast iron, it's not worth buyin'
>>
while on the subject, if an old metallic skillet doesn't stick to a magnet, does that mean it's made out of aluminum, or could it be something else? any other tests I can put it through?
>>
>>18614109
>>18614043
>cast thick aluminum
It's probably just seasoning. Aluminum seasons like CI does. By the looks of it, a pretty good pan, and not a cheap one either. Feel free to continue using, with all the caveats of a reactive pan of course (no long simmering acidic sauces).
>>
Dunning-Kruger effect happening in the vicinity of >>18614069

People will claim all sorts of shit is rust which are NOT rust. Take >>18614109
>>18614070 as a perfect example. Dude is claiming that spots on aluminum are rust, lol. Is that you too?
>>
>>18614120
Some stainless steels are not magnetic, although I'm not an expert on this. Best test for whether you have aluminum or stainless would probably be density, which most people would be able to do by feel. How heavy is it for the size. Does it seem pretty light for what it is?
>>
>>18614509
using dunning kruger and pointing to an irrelevant post to support your argument is ironic
>>
>>18611596
>food doesn't stick to rough cast iron
kek we can smell your bitterness at falling for the smooth meme and spending $350 on an inferior pan. That it was a fucking lodge-made finex makes it even more perfect.
>>
The troll has arrived.
>>
>>18614726
Imagine seething this hard on a tibetan decoupage board .
>>
>>18614512
it's rather light but not as light as my bike touring aluminium cookware
kinda feels like sheet metal
I really should just post a picture, shouldn't I
>>
File: 1644528370143.webm (2.78 MB, 834x470)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>18611596
>It's stuck to your pan because you got a rough cast iron
When reading this, keep in mind that this guy has recommended buying smooth Finex pans because it's easier to scrape off burned food from a smooth pan. This despite incontrovertible evidence that rough surfaced cast iron pans have superior non-stick qualities over smooth-surfaced cast iron pans - to his autistic mind this must be wrong despite all evidence to the contrary, his autism drives him to scrape his pan. As autists will, he gets really angry when you contradict his worldview or point out his autism. Or as you see in this post, he gets very angry even thinking about the fact that someone might eventually come in and confront him with his fallacy.
>>
File: 1653599622250.webm (2.7 MB, 1080x524)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB WEBM
>>18612923
Notice that he's already jumping at shadows, snapping at the slightest hint of disagreement or criticism. One of his primary coping mechanisms is that anybody that disagrees with him is "trolling outside of /b/".
>>18614726
More jumping at shadows.
BTW, one of his copes for this particular video is that the reason the egg doesn't stick is because it's floating in oil, despite clear shot of the dry pan at the beginning, and the events starting at 0:12. His autism simply will not allow him to recognize what is staring him in the face.
>>
>>18614109
>cooking on aluminum
You absolute fool.
>>
>>18614668
>falling for the smooth meme and spending $350 on an inferior pan
Not him, but I buy Lodge pans and then sand them down to a smooth polished finish by hand and re-season. You don't have to spend more money to get a smooth pan, just a bit of elbow grease and a couple hours of your time.
>>
>>18616289
>that cut at 0:10
please stop posting this video, it only creates distrust
the other one is much better
>>
>>18611513
Hypochondriac.
>>
>>18616697
>please stop posting this video
No. I really don't give a fuck about your autism, or how much mental anguish they cause you by contradicting your autistically twisted worldview.
>that cut at 0:10
So this is your new autistic cope? You've gone from
>that's obviously a duck egg
Then when everybody laughed at you, you autistically coped with
>that egg is obviously floating in oil
Then when everybody laughed at you, you attempted to get me banned by reporting these two videos - cooking videos! - as "trolling outside of /b/", which presumably got you banned for false reporting since you haven't tried that approach recently. Then you tried to handwave furiously with
>omg look everbody he's using a nylon spatula
But everybody yawned and ignored you. So now your autism is opting to cope with
>omg there's an editing cut in that video
as though you're ignorant of the 3mb limit on /ck/ - or you imagine that everybody else is ignorant of that limit. Mind you, had he included the complete scene he would have had to lower the resolution so far that you would certainly have yelled that this was proof that he's floating the egg in oil and scurrilously obfuscating this with the low resolution.
>>
>>18616850
seek therapy my dude, that's not normal behavior
>>
>be newfag to cooking
>buy lodge cast iron pan because my dad used to cook with one when i was a kid and swore by it
>Season it with grapeseed oil according to instructions on their website (lightly coat the entire thing, bake in the oven upside down for 1 hour at 500 degrees)
>Try to cook some eggs on it after cooking a few steaks on it
>Eggs stick like a motherfucker and get scorched
How do I achieve the level of nonstick like
>>18616328 and >>18616289 i feel retarded
>>
Do you often cook with highly acidic ingredients? I notice on my cast iron if I cook tomatoes or if I add some acidic juice then the patina erodes.
>>
File: 1648601964357.jpg (156 KB, 900x806)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
for the first 6 months you should baby the pan with a thin coat of oil before storage. also avoid leaving sauces to dry on the surface and strip the weak seasoning
>>
>>18617142
Toss in a pat of butter then start preheating your pan on medium. Let it melt and swirl it around in the pan, then at some point you'll see the water in the butter start to boil. As soon as it stops boiling (0:12 in >>18616328), put the egg in and turn the heat down just a little bit (you can see this at 0:38 in >>18616328), and leave it there until it releases. Check for release by pushing on the egg with the spatula in the upside-down orientation (ex 0:55 in >>18616328 and 0:22 in >>18616289). This is actually pretty important, if you try to slide the spatula under and lift before the egg is ready to release then it will separate at the boundary between the "cooked" and "uncooked" egg, leaving a layer of egg stuck to the pan. The upside-down-spatula trick works for things like steak and bacon as well, you always want to release your food by pushing on it sideways, not by lifting it up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.