[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Are you a paste or peeled kinda guy, see kay?
>>
>>18611490
What my women? Peeled
>>
I am of the proletariat and peeled is cheaper so the question answers itself for me
>>
>>18611490
never had a peeled tomato. tomato paste is tasty in soups.
>>
>>18611490
Diced
>>
both are essential
>>
i buy the toothpaste tubes of paste
those cans are way too large for how much paste i need at one time
>>
>>18611490
both at the same time
>>
Yellow Can Master Race
>>
>>18611588
truth
those san marzano cans are good enough to put directly on pasta
>>
I always make sauce in big batches (4 28 oz cans) and simmer for 4 hours. Once, I forgot to buy tomato paste beforehand, so I eschewed it, and it was the best batch I’d ever made by far. I’m pretty sure the long simmer time just totally ruins tomato paste.
>>
I use both. You add them at different times in different ways, and they contribute different things.
>>
>>18611490
Soulless vs Sovl
>>
I'm a "buy a tomato" kind of guy.
>>
>>18611490
paste for quick dipping sauces, pizza sauce, broth, or seasoning. whole peeled for soups and for making tomato sauces for pasta dishes
>>
>>18612881
>Soulless vs Sovl
I can only imagine that you think tomato paste is some kind of inferior, overly processed and condensed version of whole peeled, canned tomatoes, almost like buying shelf stable, Brazilian sourced orange juice from concentrate vs fresh squeezed, or using stock cubes rather than making stock from scratch. That's not at all how any of this works, and you obviously don't really know how tomato paste is used.
>>18612895
>"buy a tomato" kind of guy
Unless you're using fresh tomatoes you grew yourself in your backyard you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>18612895
The canned tomatoes are more ripe and fresh than those "fresh" ones from the supermarket
>>
Either paste or strained tomatoes.
Tomato chunks is the texture that will forever filter me. I'm a fucking child and I'm fine with it.
>>
>>18612922
Pizza sauce should be the best whole canned tomatoes you can find, ran through a food mill, then with some MAE spices so you never warm the sauce up until it's cooking on the pizza.
Imagine being this ignorant.
>>
>>18611490
Use both, depends on what I am making.

I have cans and tubes laying around for soups and dishes, with the big cans for making ragu.

>>18612895
I'm too lazy for that, and the canned stuff keeps well.
>>
What do we think of passata?
>>
>>18613468
It's just pre-concentrated tomato paste, not a controversial or offensive ingredient
>>
File: 1643564216300.jpg (25 KB, 500x528)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>18611490
>see kay
>>
>>18613447
>Using canned tomatoes instead of passata on pizza
Eh?
>>
I usually use whole canned tomatoes, and I crush them by hand, but usually I put the sauce in a blender on low speed for a few seconds at the end after cooking.
I make my sauce in the oven at lowish heat 275f to 325f
lots of fresh onion and garlic
a little vodka or wine
lots of dried basil and dried oregano
a little maple syrup for sweetness and also a bit of vinegar for tartness
you want it a little more sour than sweet
stir it every hour, depending on what heat you choose, then more often, until most of the water is gone, then blend it lightly so it stays chunky.
>>
>>18613493
It's the same thing, they have to pasteurize passata for storage and the food mill will grind the canned tomatoes into the same texture.
Hence why we use MAE spices to flavor, so as to avoid heating the sauce.
>>
what the fuck are "MAE spices"
>>
>>18613562
Microwave assisted extraction, you take your spice mix or whatever you want to flavor the pizza sauce with, put it in a bowl with enough water to cover, heat at 30% power for 8-12 seconds depending on total wattage of the microwave, then mix into the sauce.
The idea is that the cell walls of the dried spices form a dielectric and break down releasing nearly all of what's inside without ever heating to the point where the flavor is lost.
Food scientist developed the idea for use in things that aren't heated but need spices added.
>>
>>18613582
interesting
>>
File: 1668859905989882.webm (2.57 MB, 406x720)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB WEBM
>hence why we use MAE spices
>what the fuck are "MAE spices"
>it's this thing that nobody has heard of and nobody uses
>>
>>18611490
Crushed
>>
>>18612847
I could see this being the case.
You're also sorta making tomato paste if you're simmering for that long.
>>
>>18613582
Mix in the spices or the water?
Sorry, I'm retarded
>>
>>18614264
It's used extensively in commercial food preparation actually.
>>18614470
Mix the spices into the water, microwave, then mix into whatever needs to be spiced.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.