[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: peas-dal-500x500.jpg (46 KB, 500x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I want to make split pea soup. Recipe told me to soak the peas for 3 hours before cooking. Packaging tells me it should be 12 hours. Google tells me its a myth and they can be cooked right away...what is the truth? Please I need this soup
>>
It’s actually 48 hours for maximum pea goodness.
>>
>>18387052
whaaat? nooo...
>>
>>18387044
Why can't zoomers even soak peas without help from their internet friends?
>>
>>18387044
I am learner of english: what is spilt pea?
>>
>>18387044
soak them in piss for 8 hours
8 hours is key
remember 8
not 7, not 9
>>
>>18387066
virgin boy split pea?
>>
>>18387044
Listen to your heart, anon...
>>
>>18387059
Because lentils aren't common in the average American kitchen? Why's this guy gotta be a zoomer to not understand soaking peas for the first time. I don't get it...
>>
>>18387044
8-12 hours to take out a good amount of the phytic acid, 48 doesn't make sense since split peas can't sprout. If you don't mind the nutritional losses and a slightly longer cooking time then you can completely skip soaking them, the taste should be about the same
>>
>>18387097
>8-12 hours to take out a good amount of the phytic acid, 48 doesn't make sense since split peas can't sprout

I was taking the piss when I said 48. In truth I would just go with what it says on the packet.
>>
>>18387044
Soak overnight. Also remember to add some variety of smoked pork. If you don't you have fucked up.
>>
they tell you to soak em and throw away the soaking water but i just throw dried peas straight into my slow cooker and i don't have gas problems or anything
>>
>>18387044
Soak them overnight at least. I soak them for 3-4 days. You have the change the water every day though.
>>
>>18387044

The more you soak the better it will be, even if you use a pressure cooker, but basically slow cooking works just as well.
>>
>>18387044
you don't soak split peas at all
>>
>>18387044
when i make pease pudding i put them in the instant pot on high pressure for 30 minutes. before i used the stove and soaked them overnight and they took around 1 - 2 hours before they broke down depending on where i bought the peas, i bought them from 1 supermarket they would break down in 45 minutes, bought from a different supermarket would take 2 hours, i think it depends on their age. but since i started using the instant pot it doesn't matter where i buy them it only takes 30 minutes without soaking.
>>
the best way to soak lentils is to like do it quick there's some quick way I need to ask mama but doing it the other ways is for some reason really hit or miss
>>
>>18387044
you're just gonna be cooking them way longer if you don't soak
>>
>>18387410
You do unless you want them that day and want to cook them for like 2 hours.
>>
>>18387597
they cook in like 45min, your shit is just stale
>>
>>18387063
Lentils, split is a derogative term for Jew in english, he was calling them Jew peas
>>
>>18387044
>The people who wrote the recipe
Do not know exactly what your lentils are like
>The people who put your lentils in the package
Do know that, so I would take their word for it.
>>
File: split peas.jpg (40 KB, 500x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Get theses peas
boil water in a big pot add a ham hock and peas
simmer for hours
add packet of seasoning
pull out ham hock bone
eat
>>
I've never soaked them and make excellent split pea soups.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.