[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: NewYorkStreets.jpg (302 KB, 1500x1125)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Food tips for nyc ?
>>
there are some Italian owned pizza places still but mostly everything is shit, am in the process of moving out but just go to the 9/11 memorial, you will find some good food there still, those guys handled the pandemic well, DO NOT but any mixtape for any reason, those guys will rob you and make you feel uncomfortable.
>>
Xi'an Famous Foods.
>>
>>18386817
>9/11 memorial
>food
America ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>18386791
Be prepared to shit your brains out in a public toliet
>>
>>18386791
Katz's Delicatessen. Probably my favorite place there.
Find a bakery that'll sell you a Bialy as well. Katz's has them too, IIRC.
>>
>>18386791
the only good food places in NYC are
>nice restaurants catering to rich people and businessfolks
>fast casual assembly lines designed to feed delicious food to as many people as possible
everything else is either overpriced or shit, the rent is too damn high
>>
>>18387074
>Katz's Delicatessen
Tourist trap garbage
>>
Jew york city
>>
Learn how to get the health inspection records for a place

New York restaurants are filthy
>>
>>18387074
Katz's is a fucking meme for tourists. Don't waste your time there.
>>
>>18386791
Get a authentic slice at Sbarro's
>>
>>18387074

>Why yes I do want to pay 30 dollars for a sandwich. How could you tell?
>>
File: 1647566497913.jpg (60 KB, 441x436)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Be careful not getting shot or rob
>>
>>18387151
You can make six sandwiches out of it
>>
>>18386791

Don’t listen to these 4chan contrarian faggots, NYC is probably one of the best cities for food in the world, it’s just really expensive.
>>
>>18387173
>lives in NJ
>>
>>18386791
your goal should be to escape while spending as little as possible. look for places that appear to be fronts for crime, because their prices are lower - they don't need to cover rent by selling food. while you are eating food, make you sure you don't forget (about 9/11).
>>
>>18386791
Why would you willingly go to that over priced, filthy, piss smelling, homeless filled, crime filled, coastal shithole
>>
>>18387165
Seems a lot of meat. Is taking a doggy style bag allowed at katz?
>>
Halal cart chicken over rice
>>
>>18387155
Nice try, but NYC has the best gun laws in the nation, nobody is getting shot unlike your flyover hick heaven.
>>
>>18386791
New York makes flyover hicks mald like nothing else so ignore the haters in this thread. They're going to try and convince you that MeeMaw's Hog Slop Diner out in Cousinwife, Alabama is god's greatest creation, because they're a BIG BOY AND THEY'RE AFRAID OF THE CITY.

There are more good restaurants than you could visit in a year, so don't sweat if you miss a few. NYC is genuinely the greatest food city on the planet, just due to the density and competitiveness: you have to be great to succeed or else you'll fail in a month. The best restaurant in your city would likely be a mid-to-below-par restaurant in New York, so in that aspect it's hard to miss even if you just pick a place at random.

We're going to assume that you'll be spending most of your time in Manhattan, which is sort of a mistake as there are a ton of great restaurants in Brooklyn, and the Chinatown in Queens shits all over Manhattan's Chinatown.

Times square restaurants are, for the most part, absolute trash. Ippudo is the notable exception and you should visit if you enjoy ramen.

For sushi, check out KazuNori or SugarFish, which are ridiculously bargain priced and delicious. But there are a FUCKTON of super high quality sushi restaurants in New York and if you live in a landlocked state you absolutely owe it to yourself to get fresh fish in a restaurant with a bustling seaport. Kanoyama is also great, one michelin star. Little pricier but not insane. You can easily drop $1000 on an omakase meal in New York.

Wander around Koreatown if you're gawking at the empire state building. It's a block south on 32nd street.

Xi'an's famous foods was mentioned already and it's super good. No frills, rude service, delicious food.

There are tons of delis, all just as good as Katz's or Russ & Daughters. Most of them are in Brooklyn, but you can find some great spots in Manhattan as well.

(1/2)
>>
>>18387344
>tons of delis
List said deli's please
>>
>>18387344

If you want treats, try Fauchon, Bouchon, Levain (for the cookies, goddamn the cookies), Van Leuwynn's ice cream, Dominique Ansel, Pain L'Avignon FUCK THERE ARE SO MANY.

I haven't even touched on the numerous food halls (FUCK THERE'S A BRAND NEW SINGAPOREAN FOOD HAWKER STALL MARKET), italian joints, chinese tea houses and noodle and dumpling spots, burger and steakhouses, salad bars, tamale ladies on the corner, indian restaurants, coffee bars, brunch spots (please, please go to Balthazar's), fried chicken places, puerto rican and cuban restaurants, super-nice fine dining spots (New york has far more 3-star spots than any other city in america) and everything else.

It's really a pretty overwhelming city as far as food choices are concerned, so just surrender yourself to the moment and find a spot that looks good and doesn't have a ridiculous line. You'll spend way more time commuting in a subway to your bucketlist places and lose out on all the other cool shit you could be doing. Keep in mind that there is an entire industry devoted entirely just to cataloging and reviewing all the new and good restaurants (and pop-ups, holy fuck we haven't even talked about the pop-ups!) in new york. Most of the locals or new transplants give up six months in and just go to the comfortable spot that's on their block, so they aren't the most reliable source of what's good around town.

Grub Street and Eater are both good resources for up-to-the-minute guides on dining in new york. So is google maps. Find a spot that's 4.7 or above and you are going to have the best meal of the year.
>>
>>18387354
Liebman's
Eisenberg's
Frankel's
Second Avenue
Barney Greengrass
PJ Bernstein
Ben's Kosher
Sarge's
>>
>>18387361
How do you even choose a place? What is a good up to date guide?
>>
>>18386791
it sucks go to LA or something
>>
>>18387384
I walked around and thought "hmm! that looks good!"

And it almost always was, and not just good, but exceptional.

There are absolutely bad meals to be had in New York, but they're centered around the idiot tourist traps like Times Square and the Broadway theaters, places where people just want to eat somewhere close to where they are and are happy to settle for much less.

But yeah, you should do a lot of walking if you're in Manhattan or the nicer parts of Brooklyn. Explore the neighborhoods. If you see a place that looks good, stop in. I did 17 miles in one day of just restaurant stops, eating my way from the Staten Island ferry up through Alphabet city. It was fucking amazing.
>>
>>18387375
Those look great I am screencapping this. They look like Bashevis Singer would have eaten there, fuck those Katz kikes
>>
>>18387407
Katz is really good too, though. It's just not worth waiting an hour and a half in line when there's so many other things to do in New York.
>>
go to Wo Hop
>>
>>18387424
This is a balanced opinion
>>
>>18387344
>>18387361
good posts, wish I read these last week when I was in the city
>>
>>18386791
>avoid major tourist areas
>chinatown has some really good and very cheap food if you walk around and look
>street cart falafel and knishes are the absolute bomb
>>
>>18387180
NJ has better food. It’s just more spread out, obviously.
>>
>>18387344
All this cope to justify living in an absurdly overpriced shithole. Any decent sized city in the country has good restaurants. NYC is not special and hasn’t been for 100 years
>>
>>18387499
It was good info for a tourist you jealous dumdum
>>
>>18387499
They have good restaurants.

They don't have great restaurants.

Again, your good restaurant in Tuscon or wherever the fuck you're from is going to be one of the worst restaurants in Manhattan.
>>
>>18386791
When I was working in New York I was running on 2$ hot dogs, 1$ pizza, chicken over rice and breakfast sandwiches from street carts.
>>
>>18387375
Did you forget Patsy's?
>He forgot Patsy's
I can't believe you forgot Patsy's
>>
>>18387653
I've never been to Patsy's. Is it any good?
>>
>>18387643
I'm from Paris retard the best restaurants in my city are not going to be worse than your rat infested chinatown restaurant dickhead nick mullen lives there and old dirty bastard is from there and you are trying to tell me that the food there is the best in the world
>>
>>18387662
Yeah I enjoyed a lot their slices when I was living in east Harlem. (I'm white but I was trying to save money at the time).
>>
>>18386791
It's one of the biggest cities in the world, so you can get anything at high quality, but there's a lot of complete trash around. In my opinion, not telling you to fuck off or anything, seriously, but choosing your own adventure is probably the most fun in such a place! It's way too big for specifics.
>>
Dollar pizza. Don't pay more than 2.75 for two slices of cheese and a drink. Also go go curry is very nice.
>>
>>18386791
i live near columbus circle. if I was entertaining visitors, I'd go to

>patsy's on 56th
>donburiya on 55th (I used to live in Japan and this place is exactly like an izakaya in Tokyo)
>soup nazi (literally right next to donburiya, may as well grab a lobster bisque to toss in the fridge for tomorrow)
>gray's papaya (best hot dog in the city)
>maison pickle (great meme-tier french dips, fucking huge you'll never finish)
>pop's pizza on 57th and 8th

these are just a small example and obviously they're all located around my apartment, but yeah highly recommend all of them, incredible quality, i have no idea how hicks get by in slopville and will never return. pop's pizza and gray's papaya are strong recommends cause you can just rock up and grab a slice/dog for cheap and it'll blow your mind, the price/value ratio is just impossible anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>18387688
>>18387691
I was first post, but actually go go curry is really nice I second that
>>
>>18387695
no surprise but go go curry is much better in japan, same as ippudo and ichiran ramen spots, they really butcher a lot of the ingredients/menu when they move things to a different country and it sucks. i don't really see go go curry being a "wow ny food is amazing" example when it's an inferior version of a tokyo chain
>>
File: 1610071486825.jpg (257 KB, 1200x899)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>18387705
I'm the first curry poster and i will say that it isn't world class curry but it is very nice to sit down to curry katsudon that comes out quick in a restaurant that normally isn't too crowded. I left the city this week and it makes me want to learn to fry my own katsu so i can just make it at home. Go go is a nice treat with happy memories i like when i go to nyc.
>>
>>18386791
the pizza is fucking good. I didn't go to nyc until i was an adult and i always thought the 'pizza is better in nyc' was a meme. it was true. best pizza I've ever had there, at several places.
>>
>>18386791
don't go to the southside of queens.
don't eat in manhattan.
>>
>>18386791
Get out of town asap. The region is filled with culinary gems all following in the footsteps of Ripert, Humm, Boulud & co.
>>
>>18387672
It's got way more variety than Paris, and Paris is also the one city in the world that smells more like piss than New York.
>>
>>18387694
Papaya dog is so, so fucking good.
>>
>>18387216
do you ask for a doggybag at subway too?
>>
>>18386791
Here's a nice strategy

>get at least 20 dollars
>go outside
>find a taxi
>go as far away as you can from NYC

You'll notice the average quality of the food you find will severely improve once you do this
>>
>>18387344
>New York makes flyover hicks mald like nothing else so ignore the haters in this thread. They're going to try and convince you that MeeMaw's Hog Slop Diner out in Cousinwife, Alabama is god's greatest creation, because they're a BIG BOY AND THEY'RE AFRAID OF THE CITY
Goddamn that's funny
>>
>>18387934
Nope
>>
>>18387074
>Katz
>that'll be $50 for a reuben
>>
>>18387054
They still serve the same thing they did on that day. Never forget
>>
>>18387923
Variety isn't the same thing as a large disparity in quality, regardless of the smell of the city. I'm not even sure if I disagree with the idea of NYC being the best food city in the world (yes, because of variety and quality), but not every single restaurant there should be stamped with quality because they have achieved successfully operating in NYC. Plenty of great restaurants outside of NYC contend with the best the city has, even in flyover places and third worlds, and the insinuation that they are worse just because they aren't in NYC is big city elitism.
>>
>>18388255
I mean, yeah, there are good restaurants everywhere, but if you're the Parisian you might be surprised just how bad restaurants in America are.
>>
>>18387074
You will be literally and figuratively jewed if you go there.
>>
lol why are you asking these goons, they're all too fucking poor to afford nice food in NYC and they seethe about it in every single NYC thread.
>>
>>18386791
There’s a whole city outside of South Manhattan to explore, with great food for way cheaper than the tourist/finance bro traps.

But in midtown Manhattan go check out Korean Town, favorite date spot and awesome place to get lit on soju bottles with dinner.
>>
>>18387265
Want to explain why I got this text about a mass shooter lighting up 13 people in a subway a few months ago?
>>
>>18389040

But is what they serve goyslop?
>>
>>18387344
>The best restaurant in your city would likely be a mid-to-below-par restaurant in New York, so in that aspect it's hard to miss even if you just pick a place at random.

Sorry to triple post, but this is really bad advice. There are objectively bad and overpriced restaurants, even in south Manhattan. A lot of the cheap pizza places are traps for drunk college kids and tourists for example.
>>
>>18389181
that shouldn't be happening. doing that is illegal. consider reporting it to the police if you find your self in a crime type situation. problem solved. why american need to be tell this?
>>
>>18389191
>There are absolutely bad meals to be had in New York, but they're centered around the idiot tourist traps like Times Square and the Broadway theaters, places where people just want to eat somewhere close to where they are and are happy to settle for much less.

In a post I wrote above.
>>
>>18389238
I ate the best burger I've ever had in my life in Rockefeller plaza. You're just a jaded cunt
>>
>>18389303
I recommended Bouchon in another post, fuckwit. Quit trying to be the guy.
>>
Make sure to chew before you swallow - it breaks the food into small pieces so it fits down your throat better! Bonus tip: This little trick works no matter where you are.
>>
>>18389188
The goyest

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.