[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: p34.jpg (760 KB, 3264x2448)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
Someone unexpectedly gives you ham. What's your first cooking impulse?

Replies that aren't cooking - or involve discarding the ham or any other non-cooking use - need not bother.
>>
give it to my dog and cat
>>
>>18199395
Not cooking. Reply ignored.
>>
cook it then give it to my dog and cat
>>
>>18199402
kek
>>
Last night I had a bizarre dream that I put ham in some guacamole I had made.. in the dream I was really anxious that no one would like it and was wondering if I made the right choice. Fuck, thinking about it makes me gag.
>>
>>18199402
This constitutes discarding the ham. Reply ignored.
>>
>>18199426
it's not being discarded, it's being eaten, just not by me
>>
I will make navy bean soup and when it's almost done I'll add the ham which I diced. Serve with cornbread.
Or if I feel lazy I will make scalloped potatoes and put ham chunks in it, with a side salad
>>
>>18199391
Sandwich. Then think about what to do with the ham while eating the sandwich. God I love ham.
>>
>>18199391
Ham is the best tasting meat
>>
>>18199391
Macaroni, cubed ham, and tomato bake. Macaroni cooked 2min less than al dente, mixed with a large can of diced tomatoes and saut├ęd ham/onion, mix all together with shredded cheese and bake 350 for 10-15min.
>>
cram
>>
I love ham. But what you have there is a shitty spiral cut dried out piece of lunch meat.
>>
>>18199433
Not being consumed by you = discarded
>>
>>18199391
>Someone unexpectedly gives you ham. What's your first cooking impulse?
Throw it away. Only a retard would take food from strangers and cook it (unless it's a neighbor, that's a different story.)
>>
>>18199391
Cramming it up my ass
>>
>>18199510
Why do you think someone implies a stranger, imbecile
>>
File: 1656541893102.jpg (14 KB, 350x327)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
i would not cook it.
>>
Blend it in a food processor with pickles, onion, mayo, and spices to make ham salad
>>
>spread mustard on slices of bread
>add ham and sauteed onion and mushrooms
>mix egg with shredded cheese and add on top
>toast in oven
>>
I can't really answer without knowing what sort of ham it is.
From the pic, I would guess you mean those sweet American ones, yeah? If that's the case, there's really not much else to do with it besides heat it up in the oven and do things with the leftovers, like sandwiches or ham "salads" or red-eye grits or ham and eggs etc.
What do Americans eat as a starch with a baked/roast ham? I would think bread dressing (IE stuffing) would do, but I don't really know what you guys eat with them.
>>
>>18199567
We usually have ham at holidays so there will be some potato dish and always dinner rolls
>>
>>18199578
>potato
Baked or a casserole, I could guess? Can't imagine the sweetness of the ham going well with a mash, but then again, different strokes.
>dinner rolls
Fuck. I just remembered these ham biscuits I had when visiting your south. It was in Savannah. They were among some of the best things I had in the US and all it constituted was a simple buttered biscuit with sweet ham in it.
You guys really need to stop shipping out your garbage food and start shipping out your good stuff, like ham biscuits, she-crab soup, corned hake, chicken and dumplings and green chile pork.
>>
ham omelette with american cheese
>>
>>18199484
I guess making a meal for my family also counts as discarding it in that case
>>
>>18199391
Make a low effort sandwich or a slightly higher effort sandwich by addining caramelised onions and a bit of gravy that I hypothetically have for some reason. Either that or make fried rice or some kind of carbonara but using the ham. Maybe I chop it up and it to a soup. With ham the possibilities are endless!
>>
>>18199391
The real question is what does one have to do to unexpectedly get ham
>>
File: salad olivier.jpg (1.23 MB, 1024x1024)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>18199391
Salad Olivier, OP
>>
>>18200064
>>18199391
>Salad Olivier
https://delicerecipes.com/olivier-salad-russian-salad-with-ham/
>>
Sandwich - ham sandwich is my favourite sandwich.
Ham fried with potatoes - I like to microwave the potatoes, then cut them, then fry them with some meat of some kind. Ham is perfect.
These are literally the only things I use ham for.
>>
>>18199391
Lentil stew.
I fucking love lentil stew with some ham thrown in. Top comfy food. Damn.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (161 KB, 1360x1904)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
split pea soup
>>
>>18200159
The only correct answer
>>
>>18199391
>What's your first cooking impulse?
Ham and red onion sandwiches.
>>
>>18199391
Say 'thank you'.
>>
>>18199391
Discard the ham.
>>
>>18199391
Grilled cheese with ham. If you got the bone in the process, chuck it into soup.
>>
>>18199484
so I'm not allowed to cook a meal for someone else?
what a shit thread.
>>
>>18199391
My first instinct would be some ham and pea soup, especially if I got a hambone with it. Otherwise just shredding it up and using as omlette filling would be good too.
>>
Cube it and then cook it up into sloppa with potatoes and onions which I then throw in the fucking trash because you gave me niggerfood
>>
>>18199510
Unless you're a local sperg hated by everyone there's generally little risk from accepting food from a stranger. I get customers offering food all the time, most recently some mozz sticks and a beef n cheddar from Arby's. Little cold but a nice gesture since people know I don't get enough time between customers to make a lunch .
>>
>>18199473
Glad im not the only one that hates these supermarket precooked hams. You can spruce them up a bit by recooking the slices in some sauce or whatever, but I vastly prefer cooking my own pork so I can season it and make sure it isn't as dry as a mummy's asshole.
>>
>>18199391
Is it cured correctly? Aka is it from Parma or San Daniele? Then make pasta with zucchini, mushroom and ham.

If it isn't throw it away. All other ham is treated with nitrites which turn into nitrosamines when heated, aka cigarette smoke.
>>
>>18199391
monte cristos
>>
>>18199391
Jambon beurre
>>
>>18199539
Thank you anon I haven't had ham salad in years. Good choice.

For me it is ham, swiss, eggs, croissant, mustard. Any combination of those is great.
>>
>>18199484
retard
>>
>>18199391
i make straw and hay which is basically just regular and green fettuccine with fried shallots/bits of ham in a cream sauce with peas
>>
>>18200159
this, or a ham & cheese sandwich fried open faced on super eggy french toast
>>
>>18199391
Eat it cold out of the fridge at 4am like a goblin.
>>
>>18199398
Don't reply - just report
Once in a while there's a normal thread and not a scheduled one, don't let idiots ruin it

Ham is good for some calzone, pizza rolls or any kind of stuffed dough
>>18199546
i came to say that, mushrooms, onion and peas are really good with ham
>>
>>18199391
325 degrees, 15 min/lb
>>
Cook it in a frying pan and put it on some bread.
>>
>>18199391
if the ham is simple smoked ham, it goes into a baked mac n cheese or fried rice

If sugary crusted, into the garbage, or possibly a sandwich.
>>
>>18199391
ham and eggs
>>
>>18199391
Fried with eggs on toast
Or a sandwich
>>
>>18199391
Cook it, feed it to my cat, destroy all utensils used to prepare it, kill the infidel who gave me the ham inshallah.
>>
File: Ham and taters.jpg (44 KB, 630x411)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
This casserole is good
>>
ham bean soup with cornbread.

sandwiches.

just eating that as is.
>>
>>18199510
Unless someone you know cures hams for a living or hobby, literally anyone giving you a ham, from some rando on the street to your 87 year-old gran with the eyepatch and the club foot, would be doing so outside of your expectations.
Few people in this world, you included, would ever expect to be gifted a ham.
>>
>>18199391
>Damn now I have to eat ham for a week
>>
I eat the ham.
>>
>>18205594
I have known multi people who have been allured by 10 pounds of $3/lb ham, only to be trapped in a spiral sliced hell of eating ham for every meal. Some freeze it, some throw it away after meeting their match of have everyday. Others have a generous ham heart and shower anyone who will accept it with their ham gifts.
>>
>once bought a whole ham to eat myself
>whole week eating ham with every meal
>arms started tingling after 6 days
>threw the rest out
i like ham
>>
>>18205727
All the same, you don't expect ham when one of these people gives you a call or a visit out of the blue.
>>
Are those dry aged hams worth it? Can I eat them faster than they go bad?
>>
>>18199391
eat it. Cold. Literally just pick up those slices and start stuffing them in my mouth. I love ham so much, it's probably unhealthy.

But since you required a cooking use: I'd tear it into chunks and cook up some Ham & Beans.
>>
>>18199391
If it's very fatty, trim the fat and render it. Store it and use in place of cooking oil for making eggs, meats, veggies, whatever.
>>
I like to put chopped up leftover ham in my rice n beans.
>>
Make a ham sandwich
>>
>>18199391
>Someone unexpectedly gives you ham
Whoa XD
*holds up spork*
>>
Pea and ham soup?
Boston baked BEANS?
>>
sue
im jewish

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.