[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: spicy.jpg (469 KB, 2048x1536)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
Is spicy food a thing you have to grow up with to enjoy? I noticed a lot of grown adults don't like to eat spicy.

Not even 'pro' chefs like Gordon Ramsay can handle a hot wing.

So how come some people can't handle jalapenos?
>>
You gain tolerance through exposure and it is an acquired taste so growing up eating hot foods certainly helps but is of course not necessary.
>>
>>17275098
La zi ji is outstanding but the local place started charging like $15 for it. Gimme yours OP.
>>
I mean, nobody's going to handle a 3 million scoville whatever with a straight face. But different people have different tolerances. And not just that, but I think there's an element of preference. Some people hate the feeling of heat, others like it. You can't deny that it definitely fires up some endorphins, but you pay for them with burning and tingling and spicy asshole and all this.
>>
>>17275098
no you and all these adults you know are just white
>>
Idk. My dad pretends to like spicy food but he can't handle heat nearly as much as my mother could and to her, spice was more of a take-it-or-leave-it sort of thing. She could handle heat, sure, but outside of a handful of dishes, it wasn't strictly necessary to her.

>>17275109
I wish it was still $15 here. When the first Sichuanese resto opened up here back in, like, 2009 or so, that was the price.
The rabbit version is also good. La zi whatever-the-word-for-rabbit-is.
>>
Not really. I hated spicy food growing up. But I ended up dating a mexican girl who would make spicy food and I gradually began to enjoy it, now I always add jalapenos, hot sauce or choose the spicy option when getting food.

Its good for making bland food taste better, I like it to be spicy but not to the extreme, I dont like the gay "super mega death reaper habanero pepper 10x sauce" bullshit, where it is insanely spicy to the point all your taste is the spice and your lips going numb.

For example I love the 1x version of this ramen, but the 2x is overkill to the point of not being enjoyable to eat, I can totally still "handle" it just stops being as enjoyable
>>
>>17275954
These noodles have this weird kind of spice that make my lips red and irritated
>>
>>17275098
For me it's not the heat when you eat it's the discomfort in the guts later on - which happened with age
>>
>>17275974
Yeah I know. All it does is make your lips and mouth hurt and irritated.

>>17275982
I know what youre talking about, I dont really mind having a burning asshole as much as the upset stomach. Those noodles in posted give me that it basically feels like its irritating your stomach lining. I dont get this from random jalapeno food.

I think jalapenos have the perfect level of spiciness
>>
I simply cannot handle spicy food at all. Even things that are considered mild like BBQ wings or tikka masala make my mouth burn.
>>
>>17275982
Call me crazy, but I enjoy a spicy butthole almost just as much as a spicy mouth. That warm, tingly feeling that lingers for like 20 minutes after a nice poop is just downrightpleasant.

Not gay btw.
>>
I think it's genetic, there's a reason why some people don't find the experience of finding their food to be so painful to eat that they can only get through one mouthful every 20 seconds and enjoyable one or so and those who find it a blissful experience to suffer
Maybe I just get more dopamine in response to pain
There's also the enjoyment of heat when it's very mild as a spice
That said I won't lie, when I'm cutting up habanero's and I get juice on my face or my lips or my genitals it's an extremely unpleasant experience for me
>>
File: faggot.jpg (39 KB, 388x388)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>this thread
>>
File: 1640488500194.jpg (71 KB, 650x600)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>17275614
based
>>
>>17276187
i know what you mean. there is something strangely pleasant about feeling where the food is in your body at all times as it sears its way down your intestines
>>
>>17275098
I had some spicy stuff when I was young but very rarely. I thought jalapenos were spicy.

As an adult I eat way more and probably really only started doin so around 26yo or so. Fucking love it now.
>>
It all depends on what is being served, sauce flavoring and heat tolerance. There are just certain foods that need a little extra kick to get maximum enjoyment out of. Chili, certain tacos or burritos, curry, etc. Some foods can be enhanced with spices but can service without them like burgers, corndogs, eggs, etc. And then there are foods that you really shouldn't mix with spice.

Flavoring of the sauce makes a huge part of it. Stronger flavors you like can overpower heat at times and make the dish more enjoyable with the heat being a little extra kick. Bad tasting sauces can make the heat more noticable and less appreciated. Food plus pepper/sauce flavors are like any other food combos, chemistry between ingredients is important.

Finally there is tolerance. For most people, a little kick is all they can handle. For many dishes like buffalo wings, its all you need. some people can handle tens or hundreds of thousands of scovils, so things like curry or really hot peppers aren't ideal.

The main point is to branch out and try combinations of spicy foods to see what you like. You may have just tasted bad combinations your whole life. Start small and work on diversifying your dishes and then work up in heat to find what you can handle and what is ultimately enjoyable. More exposure correlates with increased tolerance.
>>
>>17275098
I'm allergic to nightshades. Black pepper, strong mustards and ginger are cool though
>>
>>17275098
>White people cannot handle spicy food
Fixed that for you. And it is because whites are subhuman. There's a reason why peppers grow in southern climates were pale skin subhumans cannot exist without suffering from sun burn and skin cancer. White people are simply obsolete humans, plain as.
>>
I've noticed spice can easily become a placeholder for flavor. On occasion I have carried around a Tobasco Scorpion bottle with me.

It becomes an addiction and you have to add it to everything, including a basic mcdonalds burger. I was raised in a Mex-american family but I can imagine the spice addiction could affect anyone.
>>
Chillis are not spices
>>
People who like spicy food have poor taste. I mean physically. They cannot taste very well. It's like burning out your sense of taste with too much salt or too much sugar. Over time they keep needing more in order to experince the sense of taste at all.
>>
>>17276826
You worked too hard on this
>>
>>17276909
Thats not how tastebuds work and you are an obvious spicelet.
>>
>>17276940
Yes it is, you goblin. Go eat a spoonful of salt then eat anything else.
>>
I've never liked spicy foods growing up but recently I started trying frank's red hot sauce and now I can't stop, I've been putting it on practically everything savory I eat and even drinking it straight out of the bottle HELP
>>
>>17277777
>>
>>17276909
Yea that makes a ton of sense bro the billions of people that enjoy spicy dishes and cuisines while also enjoying non-spicy food all just can't taste anything. You shouldnt need to cope this hard just accept that you don't like spicy food and some people do
>>
I eat all my dishes with 16 million scoville pure capsaicin sauce, only sissys can't handle the heat
>>
>>17275098
>Is spicy food a thing you have to grow up with to enjoy? I noticed a lot of grown adults don't like to eat spicy.
I don't think children should be burning their trach and stomach with spicy foods, but it's surely cultural on the one hand, and adventurous eater/well-traveled/well-monied types on the other hand.
Ramsay grew up poorfag, and never gained any class. He's the rudest most judgmental traveler I've ever seen. For sure, he never once went to an Indian or Thai restaurant as a child with his family all eating around a table. He never traveled to Jamaica on winter vacation and had scotch bonnet escabeche on some fresh seafood or ladled over a jerk pork platter. He's just stuck in time as the lower class kid he grew up being. A poser, in other words. His palate is quite limited.
>>
>>17276909
>I can't balance flavors
>>17276945
>I don't know how to season food
Get out of /ck anon, this isn't the place for you.
>>
>>17275098
It doesn't take long to gain a tolerance, whatever your age, a few months if you're actively working on it for some reason. People just get set in their ways.
>>
>>17275098
I grew up eating patatas bravas, the potatos were hot as fuck (temperature wise) and the sauce was relatively spicy. I suspect that made me enjoy and tolerate hot sauce for the rest of my life. I've eaten hot peppers though that were so ridiculously hot I couldn't even.
>>
File: 1568563936729.jpg (34 KB, 320x320)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>17276567
>faggot.jpg
indeed, nice selfie faggot
>>
You build tolerance and you build it very fast if you keep at it. For example after my first bowl of Shin ramen, which isn't even that spicy, the entire bowl I was coughing and tearing up and I felt physically ill for the rest of the day, and 2 weeks later I'm having that stuff for breakfast and I add extra spice because the heat is too weak.
>>
>>17275104
>You gain tolerance through exposure and it is an acquired taste so growing up eating hot foods certainly helps but is of course not necessary.
This. Some cultures have it, some don't (or to a lesser extent). Most asian cuisine always has hot spices, so kids get used to it really early.
>>
>>17277992
then there is many parts of japan, with the spice tolerance that rivals middle america lol
>>
>>17276909
>dude trust me
why are spicelets so insecure
>>
>>17275098
I'd eat that even if it turns my ass into a turboprop
>>
File: 1642006099175.gif (945 KB, 373x498)
945 KB
945 KB GIF
>why are spicelets so insecure
>>
File: 1563895888719.jpg (193 KB, 762x785)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>17279279
it's the internal anal damage, from whole life of faggotry
>>
>>17275614
This is what shitskins actually believe.
>>
>>17276567
>sperging out over these threads
Every time.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.