[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: erg.jpg (80 KB, 500x622)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Anyone else here brew their own beer? What's your favorite style to brew?
>>
bitter.
>>
>>17041144
What type of bitter?
>>
>>17041102
I don't have proper temp control (yet) so I'm kind of stuck with steam beer if I use any sort of lager yeast.

I make red/amber kolsches and semi-sweet stouts at least twice a year, and I've had a few decent experiments playing with newer yeasts and hops but keeping it out of IPA territory - Bitters minus the England, I guess.
>>
>>17041102
yes
my top five favorite to brew:
>quad
>ESB
>red ale
>lambic (blackberry, apricot, raspberry)
>rye
>>
>>17041238
I haven't got any temp control myself either so I'm fermenting my lager in our cold ass basement. Any tips for stouts? Haven't made a stout yet but I'm thinking of trying that next.
>>
>>17041262
I haven't done a Belgian in a while... good call. They always come out great.
>>
>>17041262
Damn! That's quite the arsenal. What kind of equipment do you use?
>>
>>17041279
agreed. last one i did i called "prima nocta". came out roughly 15% ABV and had notes of tobacco, stone fruit, and toast.
>>17041290
nothing fancy. the most notable parts of my setup:
>14 gallon chronical fermentor
>grainfather controller with a few tweaks
>16 gallon stainless steel kettle from ebay
>northern brewer 22oz bottles, but their 12oz bottles if i make more casual brews like NEIPAs
>fastwasher/fastrack systems
>bench capper
i found most of my supplies in brewer supply stores in asheville/hendersonville a while ago, then bought the sanitizing and bottling supplies on northern brewer. you can get custom-printed caps most anywhere, too, and i label them using an old printer.
>>
>>17041102
why do i make a vienna lager?
>>
>>17041328
That "prima nocta" of yours sound amazing. I've been using nothing but 25L/6.6 US Gallon kettles doing the BIAB method, but I'd like to upgrade to something along the lines of a Grainfather myself and maybe a cornelius keg instead of using bottles. How do you find the Grainfather?
>>
>>17041349
I guess because you wanted a beer that is mild in hop bitterness and tasty as fuck
>>
>>17041376
kek i meant to say how
>>
>>17041276
Dont make a blonde with a dash of patent malt, you need to ramp up to it, at the very least with a good amount of crystal 60-80. I usually do mine with a 50/50 basic 2 row and munich, a bit of 40, a bit of 60, some 120, some chocolate malt and some patent/black/roast/charcoal, usually with some oats and/or flaked wheat and carafoam to give it some crazy head with less carbonation.

I've had some interesting results with Galaxy and Mosaic, and Kveik, especially when going heavy on the C60, light on the black, and easy/late on the hops.
>>
>>17041410
>how
Vienna malt, light Munich, maybe a bit of pale, and the slightest bit of a lighter crystal malt (60 tops, and not much of it); noble hops (more toward Hallertau(er) and Tettnang(er), but Spalt works really well, and Saaz can be interesting, but used straight up it can be straight up weird); German-ish lager yeast or at least something fairly clean that's ok with lower temps; a bit of carbonate in the water; low-n-slow brewing temp.

>why
Because you want to smell yeast farts for a week... or because you know the sulfur dioxide stench is worth it.
>>
>>17041359
temperature regulation is godly. my favorite feature (and the main reason i selected it) as the ability to program custom settings with XML files and tweak exact details that allow me to brew in higher/lower altitudes. the logic board is also fairly easy to modify, which is pretty nice because they're prone to shorting after heavy use (or so i've heard). i really want to write my own firmware for it so it's free (as in freedom), but that's another goal for another day.
>>
>>17041262
based
>>
Just discovered 18 bottles of the first beer I ever brewed. It was a 8.5%(ish) stout and the first brew day I did was a fucking shambles. Everything went wrong but somehow ended up with a decent beer from it. It must be coming up to nearly 2 years old. Cracked one open and it is tasting great.

Ive got a 5L barrel though, so Im going to move some of the bottles in to that and serve it on nitrogen over Christmas.
>>
>>17041276
>Any tips for stouts?
>>17041535
If you do this,
>usually with some oats and/or flaked wheat and carafoam to give it some crazy head with less carbonation,
make sure your primary has lots of head space. Use as large diameter a blow off tube as you can for the first few days as well. Wiping dried wort off the ceiling sucks.
>>
I’d like to give it a go sometime, but I really have no need to.
One of my good friends is a homebrew fanatic and constantly has multiple batches going. He makes way more than he can drink himself so I’m always getting free beer.
>>
>>17042713
I've never made that mistake, but yeah... gas is compressible, liquid is not, and your airlock/tube is only holding on by so much. Headroom is key.
>>
>>17042860
If Papazian had named it "Spits Toads Stout" instead of "Toad Spit Stout," I might have done better.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.