[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: best-knives-FT-BLOG0417.jpg (516 KB, 1900x1069)
516 KB
516 KB JPG
How much do I actually need to spend to get a good one?
Is just the one giant chef knife enough?
Do I really need to sharpen it? (if so, how?)
How do I avoid injuring myself?
>>
>>16257151
>How much do I actually need to spend to get a good one?
No more than $20
>Is just the one giant chef knife enough?
Pretty much actually, for most uses.
>Do I really need to sharpen it? (if so, how?)
It’ll make using it easier. I just use a honing steel. A whetstone is overkill for most people. Just buy a new knife if your edge gets that badly ruined.
>How do I avoid injuring myself?
Cut slowly and gently. Don’t use much pressure or rapid movements.
>>
How much do I actually need to spend to get a good one?
Is just the one Mcchicken enough?
Do I really need to sharpen it? (if so, how?)
How do I avoid injuring myself?
>>
>>16257182
>How much do I actually need to spend to get a good one?
$2 for the Hot n Spicy
>Is just the one Mcchicken enough?
Probably not for an adult male. I’d get two, or maybe a fries.
No, the McChicken should not be sharpened
By taking small bites chewing the McChicken thoroughly before swallowing
>>
about 40 dollars for victorinox. you really only need a paring knife, a chefs knife and a bread knife (serrated).

yes you really need to use a steel frequently, like weekly. sharpening with a stone is just occasionally. used 5+ times a week i sharpen about every 4-6 months. it takes me about 20 minutes from start of setup to done cleanup for the 3 knifes i use most. watch a couple youtube videos, its not hard, hold a constant angle and go slowly. you'll get much quicker as you get the muscle memory down.

you avoid injuring yourself by proper technique holding the food you're cutting, and by having a sharp knife to avoid putting large amounts of pressure on anything.
>>
>>16257151
bout $125 usd. just find a local commercial restaurant supply store and take a look at their stock
one small (~3 inch) pairing knife, a 4 or 5 inch utility knife, a serrated knife and a standard 8 chef knife is a fine start. if you do a lot of roasts then you might want to add a larger 10 or even higher inch carving knife.
get a steel to keep the edge and every so often take it to a professional to do a full sharpening (or you get into wetstones and shit like that)
use proper technique (watch a pepin technique or gordon ramsey masterclass video on youtube about it), keep the blade sharp, ensure the cutting board doesn't slip (old trick is a wet towel underneath the board) and don't allow distractions.
>>
>>16257213
>bout $125 usd.
>>
>>16257151
The biggest cuisine blackpill is that you only need a little steak knife for everything you cut, unless youre a faggot/trannie and care about (((presentation)))
>>
>>16257174
Literally everything you said is wrong
>>
>>16257204
will i be happy if i buy this
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Bundle-8-Inch-3-25-Inch-10-Inch/dp/B00JTYDWOO

>>16257227
mine are all serrated or dull i dont like it on the raw stuff
>>
>>16257252
that sets a great start. i have that exact chefs knife and its a very good value. they're not going to compete with 400 dollar custom forged blades, but they're way better than the typical department store garbage. mercer and victorinox probably make up 70% of the total professional use market.
>>
File: optimized-tk1j.jpg (15 KB, 600x806)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
I like the Chinese chef's knife. It's weighty without being a cleaver, good for everything.
You can grab a decent one for like 30-50 bucks.
>>
>>16257174
Is this bait?
>>
>>16257269
>they're not going to compete with 400 dollar custom forged blades
whats the difference
>>
>>16257708
They'll be well-balanced, sturdy, hold an edge better, generally have a good warranty, made of quality steel, easier to wash, easier to sharpen, and most importantly, worth 400 dollars.
>>
>>16257151
If it's less than 200$ it's probably shit quality. Over 400 and you start overpaying for meme stuff.
>>
>>16257730
>They'll be well-balanced, sturdy, hold an edge better, generally have a good warranty, made of quality steel, easier to wash, easier to sharpen, and most importantly, worth 400 dollars
ive overpaid plenty of times for products that arent actually superior
>>16257937
can you tell me the right one to buy or how i can evaluate quality?
>>
>>16257995
I'm the guy who posted this one:
>>16257322
Bought it from an artisan when visiting Taiwan. It's made of steel from propaganda shell casings.
It is an excellent knife but also not worth buying if you don't have the income for it.
The same manufacturer makes non-damascened versions of the same knife which are of similar quality but half the price. If you choose to drop that much on a knife, you will be overpaying, it's only a matter of how much.

It's obviously mostly a flex if you choose to drop $400 on a knife. Like buying a car or a bed, you start hitting serious diminishing returns once you get into the $200 range. But you will own a $400 knife, which is pretty cool.
>>
>>16258068
>Bought it from an artisan when visiting Taiwan. It's made of steel from propaganda shell casings
what does this mean
>>
>>16258103
The Chinese shot shells filled with propaganda leaflets at Kinmen island a few decades back, and the shop uses the steel to forge knives.
Thought that was cool so I bought it.
>>
File: 1010530412_ml.jpg (42 KB, 1000x1000)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Just bought this as my workhorse, did I fuck up? I like knives with smaller blades for daily use. Spent which translates to roughly $85
>>
>>16258206
That's a bit much for such a small knife, but it should last you a long time.
>>
>>16257252
Seems like a pretty good place to start.

Many of my Victorinox knives went through 7 years of daily use in restaurant kitchens and another 6 years of home use and they are still in good condition.
>>
All faggots on this website have settled in on the Fibrox because they can’t stop spending $100 a month on Bang energy instead
>>
>>16257151
>Is just the one giant chef knife enough?
Yes, although you may also want a smaller utility or paring knife for small tasks

You should know how to sharpen a knife by now but hold it at an angle and slide it down an abrasive media (whetstone, wet/dry sandpaper, diamond hone, honing rod, what have you) liek you're trying to peel an invisible skin off of it.

keep your knife sharp so you can cut without forcing it
keep your fingers out of the way
>>
>>16257151
All that matters to you is the shape of the blade, the shape of the handle, and its sharpness.
After 1 month the lattermost is entirely dependent on you, so just pick any knife that fits your hand and you can rock cut / chop as you prefer and sharpen it.
Super pricey knives are a meme.
>>
>>16258542
>Super pricey knives are a meme.

I'd say steer away from dirt cheap knives, though -- and here I mean the kind of knives you could get a set of 6 for $30 at the Costco. I could actually feel the knife getting duller as I was cutting the meat.
>>
>>16257151
You'll want to hone it fairly regularly. That's not the same thing as sharpening, which you can do yourself but are probably better off having it done for you. How frequent that is depends on the type of steel and frequency of use.
>>
>>16258348
still salty about being ripped off by messermiester, eh? next time don't buy the first knife you see because it has a purty handle
>>
>>16258068

id argue you start to hit diminished returns around 75 dollars and there are strong options well under that.

you're going to notice a huge difference from a 50 dollar knife compared to a 15 dollar knife. 200 vs 50 you'll probably notice a little higher quality fit and finish and get a better steel, but its nothing like the jump from 20 dollars to 50 where you're going from a butter knife to a real kitchen knife.
>>
>>16258983
I agree, but I said "serious" diminishing returns. Where it goes into the realm of completely unnecessary extravagance.
>>
Just get a daovua from chefknivestogo. Based viet gyutos out of high carbon steel.
>>
>>16257151
8 inch chef knife, generics if you're cheap or Wustof/Messermeister if willing to spend money
>>
>>16257151
aren't all knives just a scam? Why would I want to pay $200 for a sharp ass knife that is going to slice my pinky off in a moments mistake?

I prefer dull knives to get the job done, and If I want to clice tomatoes with precision, I'll just use a slicer device.

>How do I avoid injuring myself.
By not being retarded and spending $400 on shitty knives. Lol
>>
>>16260559
dee-daw always said a dull knife will cut you worse than a sharp knife, and he was right.
see, when your knife is dull, you have to force it to cut things it don't wanna cut. putting force into a knife is when it will slip and cut something you didn't want it to, like your fingers.

a sharp knife meanwhile does exactly what you tell it to every time and it don't need no convincing.
>>
get a Victorinox 10" chef knife
a lansky sharpening kit
and a F. Dick honing rod and youll be set for life
>>
>>16257151

only full tang blades made of high carbon.
>literally JuST
a chunk of carbon steel with an edge on it.

>Do I really need to sharpen it?
purchase a fine grit whetstone at a chef supply or hobby store
>>
>>16257151
get a decent chef's knife and a good pairing knife and you're set for 90% of your knife needs
>>
>>16257151
1. About $125-175 is the point of diminishing returns
2. No
3. Yes. With high quality splash-n-go stones
4. By not being retarded
>>
>>16257151
I got a wüsthof for about 100 euros. It loses it's edge pretty quickly so you have to keep up with honing and sharpening but when sharp it works a treat.
>>
File: wusthof 02.png (1.27 MB, 1515x1026)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
I posted in another thread but people were less than useful. is there a way to verify if a knife is authentic? in comparison with other wusthof images, mine seems to be missing the red logo on the handle

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.