[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20210113_180756~2.jpg (1.27 MB, 4096x2304)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
I picked up a "breadwave" at the thrift store. What should I make first?
>>
>>15394192
call the phone number and ask them. Post results I'm curious if the line is still active
>>
>>15394192
Nice deal anon

Did you clean it out already?
>>
>>15394202
The pan is soaking now. Looks lightly used.
>>
>>15394192
>I picked up a "breadwave" at the thrift store. What should I make first?
bread
>>
>>15394220
Make some quick bread once it's done soaking.
>>
Prepare some sourdough.
>>
File: OP if he was bread.jpg (82 KB, 800x450)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>15394192
rainbow bread

faggot
>>
>>15394256
>Make some quick bread
Elucidate.
>>
Bread makers are kind of temperamental, they don't all work the same.
My best advice for you is to follow the instructions EXACTLY as they are written in the manual. And once you have established a baseline for what happens, you can experiment and tweak the recipe for next time, adding more or less flour and yeast as necessary.

What I like to do is set it to "dough only". This will knead the ingredients together and let the yeast wake up in an optimal environment. Then afterwards I take the dough out of the machine, and shape it into a nice loaf and proof it again before baking.
That way you have the convenience of dough kneading and rising at a consistent temperature, without also needing to have your bread come out as a giant equilateral cube.
>>
>>15394280
No time to explain
>>
>>15394270
>"nooooooo I don't wanna be fagbread aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
>>
>>15394192
https://voca.ro/1fU6BpHrAd2v
>>
>>15394768
Lmfao
>>
File: IMG_20210113_231129.jpg (2.46 MB, 2304x4096)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
It appears to have worked!
>>
>>15394192
Pretty based
>>
File: 1605315050691m.jpg (109 KB, 748x1024)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>15395487
Fuck yeah

for once, Op wasn't a fag

Nice looking test loaf
>>
File: IMG_20210113_232755.jpg (2.45 MB, 2304x4096)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>
>>15395545
Looks fine to me. What are the advantages of a bread maker vs an oven? Also that thing looks like 20 years old. Is it?
>>
>>15394192
Bread
You goddamn rich cunt
>>
is this a fax machine? what the fuck
>>
>>15395569
WTF is a fax machine?
>>
>>15395559
>What are the advantages
I didn't have to touch it really. Just put the ingredients in and let it run.
>>
based and bronson pilled
>>
>>15395559
That you throw in ingredients, turn it on and walk away and three hours later you have fresh bread. It's not "artisanal" but it's a decent product. I don't like the shape that my bread machine makes for loaves so I just it to make dough that I throw in a loaf pan, proof for 45 more minutes and then bake.
>>
>>15395594

It's a new fangled gestetner machine.
>>
I miss my bread maker, the bread was pretty nice.
>>
>>15396480
Buy a kitchenaid and some bread pans. It's worlds better. Or just screw the pans and make a boule.
>>
>>15394192
>>15396463
Yeah, we've had one for a while now and basically the only thing it's used for is doughs that then get formed however like pizza dough, foccacia, french bread (that you can then make oyster dressing with), cinnamon rolls, etc. It's been forever but basically the only thing it was ever set to 'bread' for was for eating damn near a whole loaf hot with butter and honey, fresh bread goes stale af within a day or two. You would have really scored if you got a manual as well, OP. Look for a bread machine cookbook at the thrift sto' OP
>>
>>15394328
I agree with half of this, the first part. Where
i differ is dough only. Fuck that, the ultimate win is a perfect unmodified full cycle with no hand shaping. This took me maybe 25-30 fucked loaves to achieve, but every failure made the final win that much more sweet.

My advice to OP: get a scale, get a thermometer, get your ingredients and their vendors locked in, and develop a procedure that overcomes the obstacles to a perfect bake. It becomes a game and obsession. Example: I very lightly oiled all surfaces of my pan due to occasional sticking fucking up my knead. Could I have paused it all and fixed it? Sure, but the true flex is to just press a button and get a perfect loaf, not hover over it.

Another example, my setup liked 90F tap water. Why, who the fuck knows. My yeast, the hydration of my flour, who fucking knows. Just measure everything you can as accurately as you can and debug the process. The ultimate is just following your own four minute recipe, hitting start, and coming back later to something exactly perfect.
>>
>>15396542

1050 grams white flour. 1260g
4 tbsps sugar 4.8 tbsp
3.33 cups water. 4 cups
4 tbsps butter 51.24grams lard 61 grams
1.33 tbsps salt 1.6 tbsp
12 grams yeast 15 grams

Right side is 4 9inch full pans, left is smaller loaves. Mix the yeast, water and sugar to start the yeast(I use SAF active dry) then mix in the other ingredients into a kitchenaid with the heart blender, proof for 15 minutes, cut into 4 parts and let it proof into the loaf pans. Cook for around 30 minutes or until they're done.
>>
>>15396565
Oh yeah, water heated below 110F to start. Don't want to murder the yeast.
>>
>>15396565
>>15396579
This is the type of Machiavellian reasoning needed to get productivity at the process. The true reason it took me 25ish loaves to start winning is because of my magical thinking for the first 15. Quantify every possible quantifiable thing, use weight not volume, use accurate temperature measurements, and simply just log everything on paper so you can adjust. Also yeast likes your “dirty” tap water most likely much more than any bottled. Just make sure you get it to the correct temp that works best for you.
>>
>>15394331
I fucking needed that today. I'll have some beer. Cheers anon.
>>
>>15396615
That's my perfect generic white bread recipe. All my artisan breads are different and take much longer. You have to make sure you autolyse first, then proof and have it rise to your developed level. It's just making every day bread.

All my boules are made differently. But those aren't daily recipes. I also have a great bagel recipe. That's another entire post.
>>
>>15394192
Bread
>>
>>15396615
Ingredients
2 teaspoons / 6 g active dry yeast
4 ½ teaspoons / 19 g granulated sugar
1 ¼ cups / 300 ml warm water (you may need ± ¼ cup /60 ml more)
3 ½ cups / 440 g bread flour or high gluten flour (you may need up to 1/2 cup / 60g for kneading)
1 ½ teaspoons / 6 g salt
Optional Toppings: (Refer to Notes)

Instructions

In ½ cup /120ml of the warm water, pour in the sugar and yeast. Do not stir. Let it sit for five minutes, and then stir the yeast and sugar mixture until it all dissolves in the water.
Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast and sugar mixture.
Pour 1/3 cup / 80ml of the remaining warm water into the well. Mix and stir in the rest of the water as needed. Depending on where you live, you may need to add anywhere from a couple tablespoons to about ¼ cup/60ml of water. You want a moist and firm dough after you have mixed it.
On a floured countertop, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough.
Lightly brush a large bowl with oil and turn the dough to coat. Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel. Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
Carefully divide the dough into 8 pieces (I used a scale to be extra precise, but it’s not necessary). Shape each piece into a round. Now, take a dough ball, and press it gently against the countertop (or whatever work surface you’re using) moving your hand and the ball in a circular motion pulling the dough into itself while reducing the pressure on top of the dough slightly until a perfect dough ball forms (as pictured). Repeat with 7 other dough rounds.
>>
>>15396646
Nobody cares about your boule you collosal faggot. I stand with weighing anon.
>>
>>15396660
Coat a finger in flour, and gently press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about ⅓ the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Repeat the same step with the remaining dough.
After shaping the dough rounds and placing them on the cookie sheet, cover with a damp kitchen towel and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425ºF / 220ºC / Gas Mark 7.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon or skimmer to lower the bagels into the water. Boil as many as you are comfortable with boiling. Once the bagels are in, it shouldn’t take too long for them to float to the top (a couple seconds). Let them sit there for 1 minute, and then flip them over to boil for another minute. Extend the boiling times to 2 minutes each, if you’d prefer a chewier bagel (results will give you a more New York-Style bagel with this option).
If you want to add toppings to your bagels, do so as you take them out of the water. Alternatively, you can use an egg wash to get the toppings to stick before baking the bagels. You may want to use the “Optional Toppings” listed above to top the bagels. Use just one topping, or a combination to make your own Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Once all the bagels have boiled (and have been topped with your choice of toppings), transfer them to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown (I usually err on the side of 20 minutes).
Cool on a wire rack (Or, if you’re impatient like I am, slice one of these babies open and spread on some of your favorite cream cheese or softened butter.
>>
>>15396665
Oh whatever, you fucking people can't bake.
>>
>>15396680
Said the sad fuck who uses volume when baking. Go sulk elsewhere.
>>
>>15396689
Look at the numbers, dipshit. I even measured yeast in minute grams. You fucking people.
>>
Bread makers are great. I like adding some green onions & grated cheddar once the 2nd kneading begins.

OP- look up the model # online and find the owners manual.
It will likely have a ton of recipes tested on your specific machine.
>>
>>15396689
There is nothing wrong with volume based measurements for baking.
>>
>>15394192
Pizza
>>
>>15394192
Banana bread is good

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.