[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (165 KB, 1124x1088)
165 KB
165 KB PNG
>line cook wagie
>make 2000 a month
>decent car
>hate job
>no free time
>live with parents
>not qualified to apply for other jobs

How do I leave this damn industry and make it big
>>
>leave
lol
I was going to leave cooking but I ended up doing a few years retail with one of my friends. After, I wanted more money and ended up working for the kitchen in a supermarket.

It's easy work but out of 8 workers 3 of us have actual experience in a kitchen so we end up doing 90% of the real work. I swear to god if I have to train one more 40 year old who has done nothing with their life how to hold a knife or grill chicken I'll fucking kill myself.
>>
>>15091728
study economics and get into real estate business
>but im a brainlet
so is everyone working that fucking sector AND their customers too
>>
>>15091728
Just leave you stupid retard. Either study or acquire an another skill.
>inb4 not possible
Yes it is, you're looking for excuses.
Fuck off and don't reply to this thread, ideally because you are too busy to look for alternatives to reply to this shithouse of a thread.
>>
File: 1514137008368.png (278 KB, 598x678)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>15091753
bro why would you tell the poor man to move to an overcrowded industry full of, as you said, brainlets
>>
>>15091728
get into the logistics industry. i started working out in the warehouse and after three years in i got promoted to work in the office. funny thing is i liked the warehouse better.
>>
>>15091728
Join a fortune 500 office space

I work for kroger and we hire some of the most incompetent and unqualified people, its all grandmas and moms who can barely use a computer but we can pay them cheaply, there are basically no guys here and but those of us who are get to management/leadership within a couple years, if you just show some effort and ability to learn you can get promoted really quick out here
>>
>>15091896
what did you do in the warehouse? like operate a forklift and shit?
>>
File: 1605809792966.jpg (68 KB, 470x490)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
You could man up and take the construction pill, it's booming basically everywhere. You'll probably have to work really hard for a year or two but eventually you'll get a comfy spot. You'll probably learn Spanish while you're there but if you work hard and keep your mouth shut they'll like you
>>
Make friends and open a small hole-in-the-wall
Also do consider buying a small butchery or such
>>
>>15091728
Find a better restaurant
>>
Consider trucking.

23yo, can pass drug test, not too many traffic tickets... qualified.
You're already used to the long hours.
The economics are different, and by law you get 10 hours a day off (plus, usually, a full day off once a week).
After 3 or 4 years in, spending your free time studying any other career's training, you should have seen most of the country and have some.money saved up to begin your new life.
>>
>>15092238
>but if you work hard and keep your mouth shut they'll like you
In my experience only thing this approach gives you mmno matter the job is more work and no extra pay.
>>
>>15091728
Start taking culinary classes next semester, is it a meme degree bros
>>
Find another career path. Go to community college or trade school, something. 3 years ago, I was in the same boat as you, except I live on my own and don't own a car. I went back to college, and next year I'll be starting on my master's degree in biotechnology. I still love cooking, and I'm still constantly refining my craft. In fact, I think I enjoy cooking more now that I'm not thinking of it as a career anymore.
>>
>>15091885
Cause you only need to sell a few houses a year to make it in real estate.
>>
look into a different trade skill
there's a huge number of different trades out there you aren't even aware of, just look it up in a catalogue and see what is vaguely interesting to you
>>
>>15092691
>is the thing you can learn to do on youtube for free a stupid degree to get
>>
>>15092426
you can't just passively sit by and hope that people will look out for you
you have to be proactive and use those connections to get access to better opportunities
>>
>>15092251
>10 hours/day are free
????
You're saying that like it's really good, when in other jobs you get 17-18 hours/day of free time. Also weekends off.
>>
Join the military. Only way out and entirely worth it. You may even ice a few terrorists.
>>
File: Raph_First_Movie.jpg (14 KB, 360x450)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>Stock more than other co workers
>Stay later to help others out with closing work often
>Come in early for months to set up my line because the openers fucking suck ass
>Never complain
>Never gossip
>Never ask for raise
Just ask to have my sick hours cashed out
>No
The rage that consumed me at that moment made the room spin.
How can it be, that the only way to get your sick pay is to actually call out? They take it from your check anyway. What is this fucking nonsense...
Oh well paid time off it is.
>>
>>15091728
multi level marketing of course
>>
Google has free courses and certifications that will boost resume.
>>
>>15091728
>Get job at local family owned restaurant
>Make good food
>Make 100s of google accounts and give the restaurant 4 and 5 star reviews
>everybody nearby will think it's really good and trendy
>customers come in
>become head chef of famous restaurant
>>
>>15093608
basically this. And it's easy too.
>>
>>15093130
.t neet
>>
show your butthole on chaturbate to old gay men with 100% of your free time and save every penny
>>
File: work meme.jpg (99 KB, 894x1022)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>15093544
This is you
>>
>>15091747
I left it, finished school for IT and now i make 2800 a month, it really isn't great but at least the job is secure and easy.
>>
>>15093780
I did it because I have good work ethic mongloid. Retards in the kitchen make it harder on everyone. And they dont ever realize it either. I've worked long enough in the kitchen that people only notice if you suck ass. Do more than anyone asks and people rarely care. Just scratch you co workers back/ employees back or expect shit to get harder.
>>
>>15092238
Apprentice carpenter/joiner job going near me. That's construction right? Is it a good opportunity?
>>
>>15091728

I don't miss my days on the line. Everyone in the place is ungrateful from top to bottom and the only people with whom you can commiserate is the other line cooks. Uppity waitresses think they're in a different caste since they get tips
>>
>>15094142
>good work ethnic
Lol you have been scammed by the work hard meme. NEVER EVER GO 120%, or even 100 when you are not doing it for yourself. Function on bare minimal mode. You are expecting better treatment from them while in reality you are just a number, and you haven't realized what others already did: do not give a fuck. What you'll get instead of respect is chronic back pain and headaches. Don't be the " I worked this hard guy ", nobody cares, in fact you end up as a retard who disrespected himself, because you boast about how much were others able to abuse your stupid ass.
>>
>>15093648
>t. guy who is stuck in a shitty job and blames everyone else for why he's there
>>
>>15091896
warehouse work is pretty comfy in my experience, usually just a bunch of light manual labor with bros and tunes
>>
if i weren't quite so lazy i would consider mentoring some of you younger guys
i'm 30, make decent money, have grad degrees, no debt, planning to buy a house in the spring
if you provide more info about yourselves, e.g., basically upload your CV, i'd be able to give better advice
maybe in the future i'll post a throwaway email and you guys can reach out
i want to help more people, it feels good
>>
>>15094341
Beast of a writer knew him like a brother never meet him though axe jay
>>
>>15091728
youtube. if a faggot like adam can so can you.
>>
>>15093204
exactly why theres a shortage of truckers
>>
>>15094546
nobody gives a shit
>>
>>15094207
For sure those guys bust ass but all of the framers I see have nice shit. You'll work hard but in a few years get your own crew plus the knowledge of how to build a house.
>>
join foh gang. serving in a beach city rn i only work 3-4 days and make 3k a month
>>
>>15094546

>mentoring some of you younger guys

Wanna know how I know you're a homosexual serial killer?
>>
>>15093505
>Die for Israel, goyim
No thanks
>>
I feel bad for line cooks in shitty boomer towns.

>Line cook in Portland
>Make $14.00+/hour
>$100+/week in tips
>Coworkers are mostly fucking cool (just ignore the toxic assholes)
>Drugs everywhere

Too bad I've been unemployed since March :/
>>
>>15096850
its only too bad you got lost on your way to reddit
>>
>>15096850
Shut up
>>
>>15091910
>I work for kroger and we hire some of the most incompetent and unqualified people, its all grandmas and moms who can barely use a computer but we can pay them cheaply, there are basically no guys here and but those of us who are get to management/leadership within a couple years, if you just show some effort and ability to learn you can get promoted really quick out here
what job do i apply for exactly, im down
>>
i quit my line job when covid hit and my family is so scared they pay me not to work its great
>>
>>15091728
I used my experience as a line cook to get a job as head chef at a nursing home that was hit hard by covid. I make $2k a month in hazard pay alone, $5k altogether but I'm working a skeleton crew and I basically live there.
>>
>>15093204
>Laughs in 16 hour shifts seven days a week in the kitchen
>>
Work part time
Cover your costs with your parents
Retrain
>>
>>15091728
dude go part time and take welding classes
>>
>better than 99% of people
>never applied myself
>shit time all around
>start applying myself
>results better than 99% of people
>get into professional graduate program
>it's been soul-sucking

There are negatives no matter what you do, anon. A NEET might have a monk-esque life if they can dig it, but they'll never be taken professionally seriously. A professional becomes their job and loses who they were before. In the professional world you don't deal with highschool dropout line cooks who can't keep up with the food orders at Applebees. You deal with office politics and things like that. You deal with professors who have a simultaneous superiority complex as they try to fuck students and inferiority complex to anybody who tries to make it in industry because they never made it.

I mean I'm not buy a supercar rich or anything, but I'm $55/hr with full benefits and normal work hours "rich". But it still is soul-sucking sometimes. Work is work, put minimal effort into what is needed to succeed unless you are working for yourself. Invest in other things that make you happy.
>>
>>15094810
FOH is shallow and soul-crushing. A horrible experience
>>
>>15097274
This
>>
>>15093204
>other jobs you get 17-18 hours/day of free time
Not at all true.
Most other industries, they can ask you to pull a double shift, because Susie called in sick.
Most other industries, they don't care if you worked until midnight last night, we need you at 5am to open.

Trucking isn't allowed to do that.
Obviously laws vary country by country, but if we're in USA, minimum 10 hours a day off, and most of the time you get it as one block.
Federal laws, and the dispatch office can get in big trouble for asking you to break them (ridiculous fines and possibly loss of authority to operate in commercial transport).

OP said he's a kitchen wagie, so his schedule might already be worse than that. This could be an improvement.
8 week training program, usually company paid - so it's not like he needs to take his ass out of work and into school for 2 years before seeing a return.
Starting pay is comparable or better than what he's making now.

... and a lot of guys I know got into it, did some online classes while living on the road, and now have a much better gig.
OP asked for a way out of the kitchen, and this could be it, unless he's one of those useless fucks.
>>
>>15097450
Yeah, but how often does that shit happen? I have to pull a double maybe once every 3 months or so, so I don't really think 14hrs/day is a better deal than 8 hrs/day with a 16 sprinkled in pretty rarely. Not to mention how fucking stressful driving is.
>>
>>15091728
>me but I actually enjoy cooking and enjoy being at work half the time
feels good man
>>
>>15097525
>I don't really think 14hrs/day is a better deal than 8 hrs/day with a 16 sprinkled in pretty rarely.
There are plenty of 8 hour/day jobs. It just can't exceed 14 hours/day of work.
>Not to mention how fucking stressful driving is.
Yeah, so maybe it's not for you, but thanks for giving it honest consideration.

I know that I used to work in a shit office, 10 hours a day was the norm, plus called in on weekends as needed, plus extending to 18 hour days as needed.
Kinda nice to just spend my day drinking coffee, sitting on my expensive seat, and staring out the window, then deciding to park for the night after about 12 hours, walk the 4 feet to bed, and be done with my commute.
>>
>>15097284
I can confirm this.

T. Physics Masters
>>
>>15091896
Are you me? I'm sitting in the office of a warehouse right now making $23 an hour. It's been 2 years and I can still hear ticket printers when i go to sleep at night.
>>15094518
Pretty much this. The thing I like the most is that I dont have to think about it after I clock out. I am starting to miss the kitchen though.
>>
Get out now, young ones, while you can.
I did 12 years in everything from mom-and-pop to top ranked Platinum Country Clubs.
I've flipped cheap pancakes on flattops, I've flipped Pad Thais in fiery woks.
I've grilled frozen Sysco burgers on gas, I've grilled prime Porterhouse's on imported charcoal.
I've helped open 3 restaurants, and have logged over 200 hours on a single paycheck.
I've cooked for Tom Brady, Steven Hawking, Paul McCartney, Thomas Keller and more.
IT DOESN'T GET BETTER.
Although, that's what all old people who don't make it will tell you, I couldn't do it, therefore you can't, and it's bullshit.
But you'll want things the Kitchen Life can't give you when you push to 30 and beyond.
My problem was, I hit leadership, and you stop doing many of the things that made me love the job. I didn't like being a Chef.

Get to sous as soon as possible. Get out of the pit that is line work, and then see if it's something you can stick out.
If you like it, rise, be a Chef or Kitchen manager, then go for F&B director, or Exec. The money is out there.
I've worked for Chefs who were getting 95k.
Dudes who run Country Clubs can get 200+.

If your mindset is "wagie" that's all you're gonna be with your dirty tee shirt and stupid ass ballcap. You need to flex on people. That's how you fuck people up.
I used to roll in with all my own tools, set up em real pretty. And trust me, when dude's see you brought your own fucking SPOONS, they know you don't fuck around.
Read lots of cookbooks, know shit that other dudes don't. I always got ahead quick cause I could mouth off tons of cooking science/lore. When the bosses see you educating your peers, they are already framing you as the next guy.

But don't be overly loyal like I was. Stay hungry, and if they won't give it to you, leave, immediately and without pause.

I quit with firm resolve not to return, that was months ago.
I still don't know what I'm going to do.

Thanks for reading my blogpost.
>>
>>15094810
Tried it once, did it for five shifts, 0/10 would not reccomend. Bartending might be cool though since you have a little more control over who gets served and who doesn't.
>>15097425
This. Its like being a human conveyor belt and a prostitute.
>>
>>15097450
Agriculture adjacent truckers are exempt from all those regulations, and they dont get paid overtime either. Just yesterday I saw a trucker drive for 25 hours straight.
>t. warehousefag who deals with truckers every day
>>
>>15097609
Very true, but if wagie is going from line cook to megafleet as a rookie, he won't be "agriculture adjacent" - he's going to be running dry vans or reefers OTR, from plant to warehouse or warehouse to someplace else.

Ag exempt rules basically allow a farmer to run their own truck of grain to the elevator even if it takes an hour beyond what is allowed, or livestock haulers to get from the farm to the feedlot before the fresh bacon dies. There are surely guys who run nonstop, but it's not typical, and it's not entry-level, and after the truck is unloaded their exemption doesn't apply and they're supposed to spend 10 hours sleeping.

Picking up a load of cornflakes or tampons - the standard megafleet runs - isn't going to be like that, but you do get to blow the big horn when a kid pumps their arm.
>>
>>15097596
Ever thought about going the food sceince route and being a laboratory chef? I've been considering it. I went to culinary school and cooked for 12 years myself. I've heard you can transfer culinary school credits, take some community college basics, then go to some meme school and you have a degree in food sceince for relatively cheap.
>>
>>15097649
Yea and desu agricultural truckers are almost always beaners, felons, or guys with a DUI on their record who have no choice but to drive a piece of shit truck with no air conditioning or heat for some greedy bastard who pays them $14 an hour with no overtime.
>>
>>15091728
Neet cunt here I earn more than you op but I love food
>>
>>15092238
Had a buddy who did construction with some esse's and they would constantly say racist and sexist shit about him in their language that he understood even though he minded his own business and just did his work. It's good money but depending on the crew you land into it can be draining
>>
>>15097693
Mexicans are like that, whether it's on the job site or in high school. They will poke, prod, talk shit to you, and basically make your job more difficult. The second you decide to do something about it they will collectively lie and try to get you fired by claiming you said something racist.
>>
>>15094226
dishwashers are based
>music
>don't have to deal with manager
>don't have to deal with customers
>servers only ask to put utensils at top of que during rush hour
>most line cooks will hook up a meal at the end of the night
>depending on manager you get share of the tips
>can show up under the influence and be fine
>>
>>15097718

Dishwashers were the only people on the crew that were sympatico with the line cooks. Misery loves company, I suppose
>>
>>15091728
>make it big
odds aren't great on that one,
but if you want a better job with more growth you should consider going into the trades.

Build and repair shit and make sure you get a bunch of small certifications along the way. Not big nor glamorous, but it pays better than line cook and has a brighter future
>>
>>15097718
>>15097738
Unless they're a high school kid, dishwashers can be either based or full on schizo, rarely somewhere in between.
>>
Just get a job delivering towels/aprons off a Cintas truck.
>>
If you can handle an office and are actually willing to work hard at something, go work in a call center. Yes, they can be shitty. Yes, people can and will treat you like shit when you're on the phones. It's not a job where you just want to cruise and do the bare minimum because that shit will crush your soul. Have you ever met someone that's worked 30+ years in customer service? They're fucking miserable.

But if you're willing to put in some serious effort, it's pretty easy to break into management within a year or two and from there you can work your way into other support roles, consulting, project management, etc. I don't have a degree, 30, and am making close to 6 figures (while working from home in rural fucking Idaho lmao).

-If it's at all possible in your area, work directly for a company not for an outsourced joint. The latter is always much worse.
-Take advantage of whatever online learning platforms they have available, management loves that shit.
-Show you can do the work, and then show you can help others do the work.
>>
>>15091728
Become a femboy and show bussy on onlyfans
>>
File: 1584804952855.png (3.34 MB, 1920x1080)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB PNG
Pilot flying part 135 cargo here
Most of the image is applicable save for the "no future" part.
Get into flying, anons, there's literally no better career.
>>
>>15094546
>successful
>spends time on 4chan
>>
>>15098100
How do you into flying? Is it as simple as going to flight school and applying for jobs?
>>
>>15091728
Military
>>
>>15098220
kek I was a cook ("Culinary Specialist") and it's even worse than being in a wagie job at Friday's.
>>
>>15098220
Do not do this
>>
File: 1542159.jpg (71 KB, 1360x737)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>15098212
Depends on where you are.
In the US, you have to apply for a student pilot's license. You'll fly with a flight instructor until you're proficient enough to fly solo with their permission. You have to fly a certain number of hours in different types of flight operations, as well as becoming proficient in different types of maneuvers. Once you have the prerequisites, you'll take an exam called a checkride with an examiner. If you pass, you have your private pilot's license, meaning you can now fly solo whenever you like.
You'll need more training and licenses to get a job, though. You have to learn to fly without reference to outside landmarks, like when you're flying in poor weather or clouds. This requires its own set of prerequisite training, and another checkride. This is the instrument rating.
You'll also have to get at least 250 hours and pass a commercial checkride. You'll also have to get a multi-engine add on to your commercial rating, since almost all commercial flying is done with more than one engine.
At that point, you have the basic experience necessary to get a job, but you'll probably need more experience before any company will consider hiring you. Some people become flight instructors themselves.
I worked at a simulator training company instead, working with pilots that came through for what's called a type rating. Large aircraft are very complicated, so you go through about a month of training learning the systems and how to fly it with various emergencies, like engine failures, etc. There's a pretty intense check ride at the end. You'll go through an additional "recurrent" check ride for the type every 6 months or year, depending on whether you're the pilot in command or first officer.
Working at the sim training company for about a year gave me a lot of experience with more complex aircraft, so I was hired with a relatively low (~325 hours) amount of actual flight time.
You have to work for anything that is worth doing, anon.
>>
>>15093780
Correct.
>>
>>15091728
>has no skills

You'd be surprised at how far the ability to handle busy, stressful situations calmly and professionally will take you in life. It's an applicable skill in nearly any career, and so many people lack it. I certainly did before I worked in a restaurant kitchen for a couple years.
>>
>>15098656
forgot to add, bitches love men who actually know how to cook.
>>
>>15098196
I'm doing pretty well professionally but I'm also an alcoholic so that's why I'm here
>>
>>15097198
>having no life outside of work
>only getting paid $60k/year

are we supposed to be jealous of you?
>>
>>15097284
>becomes their job and loses who they were before
>deal with office politics and things like that
>deal with professors who have a simultaneous superiority complex and inferiority complex

I think we'd get along well.
t. also a professional
>>
>>15098724
There's literally dozens of us here
>>
>>15098703
I guess by your seething, yeah, you are supposed to be jealous of me. I didn't imply that anywhere, just letting op know there's a way to make more than $20k cooking, if he really has no other skills, but if you want to be a cranky miser for no reason, feel free to suck on my balls.
>>
>>15091728
-oomer posts are just tarot cards/horoscopes for guys that try to base their entire personality around ryan gosling characters
>>
>>15098212
That fly-anon is neglecting the fact that you have to PAY FOR YOUR FUEL while training. The only way you get free hours is by joining the military and getting hours that way. Otherwise, when you go to school for flying you're both paying the school for the instructors, fees, etc., AND paying for the fuel. Flying is the only major I've seen UNDERGRADS get 6 figures in student loan debt.
>>
how do I into CNC?
>>
>>15093544
They also won't pay your sick leave when you quit.
>>
>>15093012
How do you even manage to afford school while supporting yourself?
>>
>have career and saving/investing money so I can quit sometime and become a wagie and coast into retirement
these threads are comfy. I dream of wagie lifestyle, smoking weed before and after work, and doing nothing but chilling
>>
all I want to do is be able to support myself while still having a life and not living to work. i'd literally rather kill myself than work 100 hours a week barely scraping by

what can i do to actually make a decent living without breaking my back
>>
>>15098934
government job, anon
>>
>>15098947
how do i get one
>>
>>15098979
check your local gov job listing and keep an eye out, apply for every job you can. there's all sorts of easy jobs that pop up, like mowing county highway ditches, etc.
>>
>>15098991
and jobs like that actually pay well? I assumed they just used prison labor for stuff like that
>>
>>15098999
relatively well, yeah, and likely qualify for some pension like most gov jobs
>>
>>15098212
Every pilot I've ever met has been far more excited about weather forecasts than is acceptable for polite society.

If you can't picture yourself half as excited to read the weather report as James Cantore gets about Thundersnow, maybe flying isn't for you.
https://youtu.be/uOLSItHApiw

(The pelican scene is pretty good too.)
>>
>>15097585
>At a desk for $23/h
I make $24 on the forklift and I'm on year 2 of 15 on the pay scale.
>>
>>15098999
>and jobs like that actually pay well?
Define pay well.

High paying work is either going to be jobs normies don't want (like cleaning septic tanks or trash collection or jumping into nuclear reactors (glowboys)) or jobs normies can't do (either due to a lack of effort to get qualified/certified or an intrinsic challenge in the work itself).
>>
>>15098100
I’m color blind :(
>>
>>15099096
if i had a goal to work towards, i'm confident i could get certified for a job that paid well enough, just finding a target is a challenge
>>
>>15099186
Yeah, but what is "paid well enough" for you?
That is going to steer us toward suggesting useful targets.

Otherwise, call up the local IBEW and see what it takes to become an apprentice.
>>
>>15099186
Also what state? Are you in a city?
>>
>>15097284
>only true if you dont do something you love
>>
I couldn’t handle the life of a chef, I know that right now. I’ve worked retail and actually like it, so I was thinking waiter might be for me. Or has anyone been like a maitre d? How’s that? Obviously i know that’s far from an entry level position, just curious.
>>
>>15097108
>>15097156
Enjoy your $7.25/hour, fast food cuck
>>
>>15100000
minimun wage here is 13.50 lel
>>
>>15098830
Faggot
>>
Jobs you should apply for are dependant on your geographical environment. Where do you live, generally?

I live in Ohio - I work for an international distribution center now. It was a seasonal warehouse job I applied for after I quit line cook work. Had only 500$ left at the very end of my unemployment. Now I'm cucked middle management for the same warehouse but I am doing fairly well financially. And I learned a bunch of data analyst skills.

Staffing firms are not great but if you bust your ass on the temp assignment you at least have a shot at it.

Covid is going to fuck all of this up, I'm afraid. It might just be you have to deal with it for a while.
>>
>>15091728
Look for an entry level position in a freight forwarding business or a customs house brokerage
>>
>>15097919
This should be higher up, call centers are pretty ripe for anybody that isn't a braindead lifer.
>>
>>15092238
>You could man up and take the construction pill, it's booming basically everywhere

construction? Booming during the scamflu lockdown and depression. Shirley, your not serious
>>
>>15097693
yeah orcs are really racist scum
>>
>>15097711
sounds like a good reason to kick them out of our country. Or better yet, push then into some other latin shit hole and colonize Orcico
>>
>>15093017
Getting work in real estate is hard as fuck if you don't work for a real estate firm, and if you work for a firm, they're going to be taking a sizable chunk of your commission.
>>
>>15098895
Has to be fat gibs
>>
>>15091753
Its funny because I'm doing that exact same thing for the exact same reason

>>15101666
I think youd be making more working for a firm than you would being a line cook, at least thats what Im convincing myself. I used to be a cook at waffle house so my assumption is that Ill make more than 11 dollars an hour
>>
>>15097180
Also interested
>>
>>15091910
uh what I wanna know some places like this too I've tried to apply for offices jobs and despite my previous experience, references, and abilities, I can barely get an interview.
I just wanna dress up nice and go into a nice quiet office, do my job, and then go home :(
>>
>>15092238
I want to do this, but I dont know to look, I live in the suburbs but I see construction fairly often
>>
>>15103225
>I dont know to look
>I see construction fairly often
There is a phone number on their work trucks.
Call it, ask about apprenticeships.
>>
>>15091728

I'm software engineer wagie and I make 6500 a month after tax and have lots of free time, especially when I work from home (meaning 2 hours of work scattered throughout a day of vidya)
>>
>>15098771
Yes, out of 80 billion i'm sure there's a few dozen "professionals".
Fucking retards.
>>
>>15103503
huh I guess I never looked close enough to notice
>>
>>15091728
I work at costco and it's cool. Work in the butchershop of costco and you'll end up making 30+ bucks an hour after a few years.
>>
>>15103782
I want to do this but be an IT janny instead because it's less work.
>>
>>15091728
unironically put every penny you can spare into XRP. do it now
>>
>>15091728
I'd say Military. But cooks are the hardest working mother fuckers there are regardless of what branch. I also don't know what federal jobs are available for cooks because your MOS isn't a 91 or 94 series.
>>
>>15104050
how much do the sample givers make after a couple years?
>>
>>15104218
Whats xrp?
>>
>>15104040
Also, damn near every job site has a board with contact information for the lead contractor, required employment law postings, permits, etc.
That might give you a place to start looking, if you're too shy to look at the side of a truck when people you could accidentally talk to are there.
>>
>>15104504
Well I dont have an issue talking to people its just that most groups of construction workers are usually mexicans speaking spanish and I dont want to give that whole thing a try
>>
>>15098220
leme help you there.

Tech Job in Military.
>>
>>15104602
>(((Tech Job in Military)))
Not even once, Schlomo.
>>
>>15104639
>laughs free spec pay
>>
>>15104528
>I dont have an issue talking to people
>construction workers are usually mexicans speaking spanish
>and I dont want to

>>
>>15093544
My man, it is an immutable fact that restaurant owners are the most niggardly scum to walk the face of Earth. Do your job well for your own satisfaction, but do not make the mistake of believing they will ever, ever care about you. Better yet, take that work ethic into something self-owned, like a trade.
>>
>>15091728
i used to work in food service, then i decided to try being a security guard. the guard card was like $150 total and the starting pay is higher than food service. it's a very low stress job overall, nothing compared to sweating in the kitchen for hours. i managed to weasel my way into a management position and now i make 90k salary, not bad.
>>
>>15104658
I dont want to attempt to people who primarily speak spanish? If there was someone in my very view times of being within walking distance of a construction site, spoke English or looked like it, I would have no qualms
>>
>>15098284
How much time elapsed between you applying for a student's pilot's license and being hired to fly at your current job?
>>
>>15091728
You're lucky you can still live with your parents. Use this as your advantage to save up and start your own restaurant business or restaurant related business. Ask yourself what's the biggest issue your boss has in terms of his business and go solve it. Learn about loans and how to leverage money to start a business. If you have time to bitch on 4chan, you have time to pick up an educational book at least 20 mins a day.
>>
>>15097565
Damn, now I want to quit my professional job and become a trucker, lol
>>
>>15097718
don't do dish, never do dish

it fucking destroys your back
>>
>>15105019
If you ever take a sabbatical year, go for it.
Many companies offer free training on a 1 year employment contract, if you don't feel like going out of pocket.
Solo OTR drivers basically get to go camping every night, and days are basically just go here, sign contract, go there, get contract signed, do some minor recordkeeping, repeat.
If you can crouch, climb 5 steps, and pass a stupidly basic physical, you're probably in.
>>
>>15091728
Whatever it is you do, don't trust a single person telling you to take up a trade, it's fucking garbage if you're the kind of person who expects a work environment to not be completely braindead.
>>
>>15097525
Driving is the least stressful thing in this world.
>>
>>15094546
Ill bite.

What industry are you in? And what do you have degrees in
>>
>>15091896
similar situation, did a bit of warehouse work and IT for the same small time company when they found out I knew computers
hate dealing with the immigrant retards in the office not knowing how to download a pdf. i'd rather mindlessly move boxes and listen to music instead of dealing with their bullshit
>>
>>15093780
The part you idiots don't know is to do that and also make it very obvious you're doing that. It also only works when you're on the same floor as management, or someone directly related to management. Otherwise don't bother.
>>
>>15096850
>line cook in sf
>make $22/hr
>$250 tips/wk
>gets health insurance as the city requires all restaurants to
>dental
also been unemployed since march ;y
>>
>>15092238
>>15094207
>>15103225
Having worked in construction and quit, it is very much not for everybody. Rain, snow, heat wave, etc you're working. You have to be very physically capable and willing to put up with a lot of assholes/borderline dangerous people. There's a huge rate of people quitting and injuries are common. My best friend has been a plumber only 4 years and his back injury is bad he hasn't worked in almost a year. He lives with constant pain.
>>
>>15096850
>>15108088
You pussies make tips? Enjoy it.
>>
>>15091753
this is quite possibly the stupidest piece of advice I've ever seen on this godforsaken forum
>>
>>15104835
I got my private pilot license while in college. Put it on hold for a while to finish, then worked odd jobs at a flight school and with a mechanic for about a year to get discounted training. Took me maybe a year and a half out of college to have everything.
That was taking my time and earning the money though. There are people that do it all within 6 months.
That said, those people tend to go straight to flight instructing.
>>
>>15092251
but by then you have turned gay from all the truckstop glory holes
>>
>>15098895
I live in a really small town where the cost of living is super low, that just happens to be a college town. It's a state school, so as a resident I don't pay that much in tuition, and my rent is only $400/month. I'm also taking out a fair amount of student loans, but biotech is a secure enough career path that I'm not terribly concerned about having to pay them back.

Also, I fully recognize that STEM isn't the best choice for everyone. I was always academically gifted, so it was a fairly smooth transition to resume my education, but there were some things like the rules of algebra that I had to devote a lot of time to relearning. Trade schools or business classes are probably a better choice for most people in similar circumstances.
>>
>>15091747
I never hire older people with zero kitchen experience. I assume they're drinks who lost their rig work
>>
>>15091728
door to door sales
>>
>>15092238
>impending eviction crisis
>impending real estate crash
>impending economic depression
yeah bro totally go into construction
so many people will build new houses in 2021
>>
>>15111896
Reminds me how I was actually thinking about getting a job at a hotel at the start of the year. So fucking glad I decided against it.
>>
>>15111896
https://www.inman.com/2020/11/18/october-housing-starts-reach-highest-level-since-2007/

Is there anything dumber than a millenial who thinks he is smart? Stick with your dish pig gig
>>
>>15112232
>2007 peak real estate bubble
>2008 massive real estate bubble burst dropping property values 40% and sending economy into a Great Recession
Good goy, keep buying real estate!
>>
File: counterpoint.png (771 KB, 808x772)
771 KB
771 KB PNG
>>15096539
>kill sandniggers for israel, goyim

A little bit more tempting
>>
>>15091728
$2,000 a month
Holy shit I need to become a dish washer
>>
>>15112421
What shitty job do you do that doesn't pay 2,000 a month? I work in a fucking mall selling phones and I make 3-4k a month, and I'm still broke as hell.
>>
>>15109864
Maybe he was talking about his anal sphincter when he asked how to make it big.
>>
Get an Associates degree in the medical field. Jobs like radiology tech and respiratory therapy will start you out at 50k a year. With additional money for working nights or weekends. The Pell grant will cover tution, and scholarship money will go back in your pocket. You can do most of the prerequisite classes online. The actual programs are only around a year in length. Most hospitals need staff and you can move anywhere in the country. Keep knocking out school and it's easy to move up in the medical field.
>>
That's what I make with minimum wage in my state. I work in a shipping dept on my ass pretty much all day.
I worked in a restaurant for 5 years tho I feel you. Fuck all those coke riddled beaners
>>
>>15099029
costs of living most likely
>>
>>15091728
>not qualified to apply for other jobs
Be a construction worker. Also how much rent do your parents charge you? You should be investing a good chunk of your money if your parents are charging you a lighter than normal rent for your area or no rent at all.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.