[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: WLE547WA_open1.jpg (101 KB, 1200x1200)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
why are broilers/grills uncommon in american stoves?
>>
i dont even know what that is
>>
>>12622164
a little drawer with a grill plate/tray and a heating element above it. great for cooking steaks/burgers and toasting bread. all the fat drips down into the tray.
>>
>>12622161
Many ovens have a drawer at the bottom underneath the element; most people just don't realize that that's the broiler so they just store sheet trays and shit down there.
>>
>>12622161
Your oven doesn't have a broiler?
>>
I use mine to make "grilled" cheese.
>>
>>12622184
that isn't a broiler on the vast majority of ovens in the united states. some newer ovens have a warming compartment there, but most of the time it's just a storage drawer. I've never seen or even heard of one with a broiler there, are you making this up?
>>
>>12622343
No, I've had a bunch of (gas) ovens and when you turn it on the flame is completely exposed in the drawer. Most newer ovens just have a "broil" setting where the top element is turned all the way up and you move the rack to the top position.
>it's just a storage drawer
Doesn't that seem strange to you?
>>
>>12622343
Every stove I've ever had has a drawer that does jack shit. The broiler is at the top of the oven on all of them.
>>
american convection ovens have the heating element on the top. so if you move the shelf up it acts as a broiler. in europe ovens are either fan forced of have the heating element on the bottom of the oven so the grill is a separate thing.
>>
My oven has a grill setting.

Problem solved.
>>
>>12622161
I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE FUCK A BROILER IS AND IT PISSES ME OFF
>>
Every oven I've cooked in has a broiler and I live in the states. What are you talking about OP?
>>
>>12622343
>>12622357
It was never meant as a storage drawer. Was meant as a place to keep your food warm. On gas ovens with the main heating element on the bottom, it often was a broiler drawer. The latter only applies to gas, not electric
>>
>>12622398
This. Additional heating element up top.
>>
>non-Americans
>even owning stoves
>>
My oven has a very effective broil mode where I move a rack up and the top electric element turns on full. Also has a warming drawer.
>>
>>12622161
>Implying you need a separate draw to broil

>>12622184
>>12622357
On most gas ovens that is entirely a storage draw. You didn't really start seeing gas ovens come with that as a warming draw until the 2000s.
>>
>>12622343
>>12622360
>>12622560
i always thought it was a proving drawer for bread dough

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.