[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DF22_IT_237.jpg (131 KB, 1500x844)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
New larp thread

Now with 37% more winter season. The cool kids larp even in the winter.

previous thread

>>10787705
>>
>>10813669
what are eu shops for pants? i miss two components till i finished with my set. and i think the pants are the harder one since im a fat fuck
>>
>>10813950
What are your standards of budget/authenticity, which country and how much of a fat fuck are you? Your bog standard larp shop generally carries up to a 3XL which also tends to be on the larger size itself.
>>
>>10813998
> Budget arround 60-65€
> Authenticity: Must not be 100%, searching for a viking style one
> Germany
> 170cm/144kg
>>
File: bills.jpg (311 KB, 2048x1365)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
>>10814112
Perkele viking store does some really good kit for quality prices, and I think goes up to XL in their normal range and bigger on request. Their stuff is all historically accurate, but honestly have no idea what the fuck you're talking about for "musn't be 100% authentic" desu.

To try and get some conversation going, what's everyone's favourite weapon? Not the best, not the most aesthetically pleasing, just your personal favourite, everything else be damned. I personally fucking love polearms. Spears, Billhooks, don't care, love all of them, especially once you get to 7ft plus territory. They fit almost every setting and period and allow you to style on people constantly.
>>
>>10813669

Stop larping, we need real life
https://youtu.be/bdb-s9zuYKQ
>>
Looks like Drachenfest US is going to be releasing it's tickets in a few days, but they're still requiring vaccination records. Regardless of how much we need to worry about covid I don't plan on getting a vaccine one especially since I've already had covid and I'm not interested in getting a new vaccine every three months. What is the likely hood that they'll drop the requirement or allow like religious exceptions. I'm not religious but I'll convert before I get some weird jab.
>>
>>10814679
Absolutely zero chance
>>
>>10814782
god why are all my hobbies run by weirdo funko pop loving bootlickers
>>
>>10814805
larp is a community hobby that you mostly do for the interactions. If you don't like the people there why did you got into the hobby in the first place?
>>
>>10814811
ah yes, let me go ahead and stop enjoying things and thinking they're cool and wanting to interact with them because the leaders are mentally ill.
>>
File: own_larp.jpg (312 KB, 720x960)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>10814812
>>
>>10814858
my brother in christ we're in a thread about dressing up as fake fantasy and or historically accurate people and then smacking each other with not!weapons I think we're all a little bit of an edgy faggot
>>
>>10814912
You can play make believe you're some kind of viking warrior or goat futa and dress up for the part but you can't pretend that there is some form of higher being that will welcome you after death instead of a horrifying void of endless nothingness?

Weird.
>>
>>10814925
NTA, but it's a solid bit of advice.

And it has Jesus's personal endorsement!
>>
Big shout out to the janitor for getting rid of the trash. You're doing good work.
>>
File: cvdfvdfvd.jpg (232 KB, 800x2061)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
Now that the asshole was gone, let's get the thread back on topic.

Does anyone know a good US source for a Elizabethan ruff that isn't cheap nylon Halloween costume, but also isn't a $150 plus reenacting quality piece?
>>
>>10814928
Agreed not a fan of people telling me to go kill myself.
>>
>>10814935
Just read the archives and Jesus was right you should kill yourself.
>>
>>10814930
I've heard good things about The Renaissance Tailor but I've no actual experience with them.
>>
I'm gone for a few weeks and ya'll let the plague rats in!

>>10814482
BS. Larp hard enough, and you can larp for a living like me.

>>10814679
>>10814812
>>10814913
>>10814935
You're just not very bright, aren't you?

>>10814930
Ikea. Not joking. It comes and goes from their collection, but in the toys/roleplaying they sometimes have a really nice, 100% cotton ruffs with tie closure for $15 usd. Other than that, they really are not hard to make, just tedious. YouTube has good guides.
>>
>>10814935
Don't worry, people are not a fan of you either.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1667260588519.jpg (39 KB, 528x960)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Happy Halloween you nerds.
>>
>>10815495
Happy belated spoop to you too.
>>
What kind of tents does everyone recommend for single person? Right meow I'm looking at the Sibley 300 Ultimate, but I'd like to have a broad range of options instead of "ah this looks good enough" and buying the first thing that looks larpish enough.

Bonus if it's asian in aesthetic.
>>
What's the consensus about Epic Armoury's hybrid line? Are they any good? Worth the money? Will they break on me after two training sessions?

Otherwise, any suggestions about a specific product or company of matching swords/sabers in the 3ft/85-90cm length range? Preferrably something like a simple millitary sabre but I can roll with most stuff

Pic unrelated
>>
>>10816125
I've got the Swashbuckler from the hybrid range. It's Epic Armoury quality, really. Not very good, not very expensive.

One of the wiggly bits of the guard broke off after very light use, but they're unusually small for EA weapons so I'd assume they're normally sturdy enough.

I've heard some retards try to ban them "because the pommel is too hard" but I haven't actually seen it enforced anywhere.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1667872573315.jpg (123 KB, 1080x1080)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>10816125
Can't speak for the hybrid line, but we use the RFB line of cutlasses quite regularly in our game.

It's a major question is if you are looking for curvature. Almost no one does curved blades, but I've been eyeballing Fakesteel Armoury ever since I've gotten to handle one. Not only do they make plenty of various curved weapons and 18th century styles, but they legitimately are some of the nicest looking weapons I've seen in person. A little pricey, but nice. Pic related from a recent post of theirs.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1667872849678.jpg (52 KB, 1080x1619)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>10816736
And another picture out there late 18th / early 19th century English saber.
>>
File: santa armour.jpg (65 KB, 533x804)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Tried to get it off the ground last year but left it too late/there wasn't quite enough interest, but would anons be interested in a /lrp/ secret santa in the style of the one that occurs over on /k/? Probably not a massive spending amount, just something nice for the christmas season.
>>
>>10816736
>>10816737
I thought curved cores on latex was a terribad no-no idea made of pure explodium? Too much stress or something and prone to failure?

>>10817057
We've done it before. Problem is needing to have two separate lists: one for Europe, one for North America.
>>
>>10817116
Then good thing it's injected foam not latex.

Though my biggest problem with fakesteel is that they are in the same price range as calimacil and the wyvern replica and wyvern has insurance policy plus you can cheaply buy replacement blades while being objectively better at handling and feel.
>>
>>10817193
But calimacil doesn't have curved blades.
>>
>>10817209
one of these days the fey will make you their slave for an eternity
>>
File: FB_IMG_1667960707568.jpg (42 KB, 1080x1620)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>10817057
As always, I'm down for the US, And I will pick up any random Anon if we get an odd number So everyone gets a gift.

>>10817116
In theory, on the thrust, yes. But weapons that tend to be that curved aren't necessarily meant for thrusting regularly anyways. The idea is that on the thrust, it focuses all of the energy onto a small area usually at the apex of the curvature, but I have never actually seen a curved latex weapon fail. Plenty of cheap dick swords and boffers though, mostly from repeated stress usage, but they've always been straight cored.

>>10817193
I will admit they're a little blade heavy, but apparently they've recently changed how they weight the pommels. They're also cornering the market for the aesthetics of 18th/19th century weapons, which Calimacil doesn't have a strong showing for. I've also been drooling over some of their 15th/16th century inspired swords.

>>10817219
That's not a curve. THIS is a curve.
>>
>>10817219
>one of these days the fey will make you their slave for an eternity
Don't make promises you can't keep. The number of mushroom rings and tree branch portals I have climbed into is uncountable, and get they still haven't taken me away.
>>
>>10816736
I have a pair of fakesteel weapons. They're fucking great, and they last. Get one.
>>
>>10817057
I'm interested.
>>
>>10817460
Pics?
>>
>>10817833
I'll post some later on if I remember, I don't generally keep pictures of any individual piece of gear.
>>
>>10816028
I'm either rocking a painted wheel pavilion or a soldiers tent when I go solo. Just get a period tent, something Asian can be more expensive though but something generic will always beat your modern tent.
>>
File: santa 4.jpg (1.21 MB, 989x1600)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Alright, there's been enough interest in >>10817057 that I'll throw something together over the next few days.

>>10817116
Seperate Euro and NA lists won't be too hard, as I imagine the signups will be fairly limited I'll probably just do a lot of matching by hand.
>>
File: 81SOYC7trYL.jpg (122 KB, 1272x1000)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>10813669
I had a visual guide on making armored sleeves but I lost it. Anybody have one?
>>
>>10820216
Those are three different parts to a whole, being a pauldron, elbow cop, and weird bracer thing laced together, and are incredibly shitty in design. That bracer doesn't even fit the guy's arm, and that weird knuckle thing and the way it overlaps the wrist over to the metacarpals is just dumb and restrictive.

Don't even get me started on the elbow and shoulder arrangement.

If you're looking for a guy for arm armor, it really depends on what materials you're working with, and what kind of competence you have to work with them. Are you looking for metal? Leather? Etc. What's the purpose? Larp, reenactment, costume, etc.
>>
>>10820534
>>10820216
And then there are questions of style and what you're going to wear under it, too.

More info, anon. We're autistic in this thread, we need detailed requests.
>>
I’ve agreed to play an npc character at a larp who dies early on to further the plot. I thought I’d just have to lie on the ground dead. It turns out I need to interact with people in character first and I’m shitting myself. How do people do that? Any help? It won’t need to be very long but I don’t know what I’m supposed to say..

I don’t larp.
>>
If I'm getting the itch to do some sword stuff, which should I choose? Local (very small) HEMA group, or nascent SCA rapier/cut & thrust? Or just do both? Or neither?

Also what to look into if I want to make a doublet like pic related? What era/region specifically would that be ([loosely?] based on)?
>>
>>10821859
Since no one actually qualified responded I'll try. In short, just exaggerate whatever the fuck your character is. If you are a business tycoon go brag about your deals and how you are not afraid of your rivals. If you are a shady politician go try to intimidate and blackmail people, successfully or not. In general the rule is that it is better to do stuff badly than not do stuff and since your average larper sucks at doing stuff jut showing a bit of initiative makes you already twice as good as the average.

Of course this implied that after lots of study and hard work you have gained the ability to behave as a decent human being. Exaggerate sure. Don't go make people uncomfortable.

If you have some info on what kind of character it is maybe I could give some pointers. But in general, just focus on playing a caricature and hopefully have fun.
>>
Does anyone know a European vendor that sells helmets at different sizes without costing upwards of €500 per helmet? Even just S/M/L is fine. I would be fine with the usual Indian crap if it weren't for the fact I have a small head that one-size-fits-none stuff looks comically oversized on.
>>
File: mas.png (959 KB, 791x627)
959 KB
959 KB PNG
i want to add a ranger mask like pic related, but i dont want to pay 50€ on etsy to get this shit. i saw a sale for a cheap 10€ black only shemagh. Would it work with a normal square shape piece of fabric or does it need to have certain shape?
>>
>>10825258
Some sellers sell in different sizes if you're looking for off the shelf. With some good luck you could score a helmet custom for under 500 as well depending on the type.
>>
>>10825653
>Some sellers
Being?
>>
>>10825536
Slapped together a quick Faramir's rangers costume for an event once. I just used a black linen square of iirc 70 cm, worked like a charm. Probably won't look exactly like your picture though.
>>
>>10825258
Epic armory. Indian crap, but fine for larp. Good return policies. A medium or one of the kids helmets should fit you and your tiny head.
>>
Just finished making some stuff for my Warhammer Ogre outfit and man it looks so shitty but I had so much fun making it. Thanks for the suggestions to just slap on metal bits to make the boots look proper.Thanks for reading my blog :)
>>
>>10826053
To be frank I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to helmets that thin and ugly, but thanks for the advice nonetheless. Might still go for it if I can't find another option.
>>
File: troll.jpg (639 KB, 1371x2048)
639 KB
639 KB JPG
Happy New Year /lrp/. Anyone got any advice or links to tutorials on foamwork? Building a monster costume, and while I've got a general idea of how I'm going to go about it and have worn similar suits before, I don't have any specific knowledge of what to avoid.

>>10826119
You can't just say that and then not post pics anon, this general is dead enough as it is.

>>10825536
That's literally a black buff (or snood or whatever), just get a tube of fabric and pull it over your face.

>>10825258
If below 500 is your price range, it'd probably be worthwhile contacting one of the good Indian workshops directly and getting one comissioned. I don't know any good places for helmets in particular, but if you ask around I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere. It depends on the type of helmet as well for prices though, getting a custom nasal will cost pennies compared to a full houndface bascinet with all the trimmings.
>>
>>10818204
So did you find any ?
>>
Anyone here have experience in small, local roleplay heavy fantasy larps?
I want to try this kind of stuff out but the only one in a 100 mile radius of me seems to be a pretty already close-knit group with extensive homemade lore for their world
>>
>>10829069
Follow up, since it took me way too much digging to find this thread: why is this gen on the coomer costoomer board? Wouldn't it get more traffic on /tg/ or /sp/? Or even /k/ since they have gearqueer general
>>
File: jotun.jpg (180 KB, 1197x669)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>10829069
Honestly, the second a larp system has more than a couple of pages of primer on what lore is critical to know to be able to engage with the game that immediately throws up a red flag. On the flip side, if it's the only option you have you might as well give it a shot. Roleplay heavy at least is normally a good thing, it weeds out those "larps" which are just boffer waving or are an excuse for some dickwad to powertrip over fake status.

>>10829073
These threads used to be on /tg/, but the board moves too fast for what is a niche hobby, even by /tg/ standards. Occasionally someone from here will throw a larp thread up on there and they generally do pretty well, but there isn't the sustained interest/ numbers to keep a general going permenantly.
>>
>>10829069
>>10829087
Lore cancer is a thing but most larp groups tend to learn to ignore the lore if it becomes to big. Honestly, I'd say these kinds of events are pretty hit-or-miss. You may either have a hidden gem of dedicated larpers who have gone out and made their own thing, a bunch of rusty inbreds huddling together wanking of on their epic story, or something in between. I'd say it can't hurt to try. Worst case you can always leave early if it's not your group.
>>
>>10829069
>Anyone here have experience in small, local roleplay heavy fantasy larps?
My area used to have three, before the coof killed all of them. Pretty good experience with all of them. As someone who rarely gives a shit about lore myself, I never had any issues with lore being crucial or anything. These larps did seem to have more people that tried to "win" than the bigger larps. In the end, >>10829103 has the truth of it: just try and see for yourself, very little is lost if it doesn't work out.
>>
Almost done! Might as well do the Pip-Boy, it was not in the initial plan.
>>
>>10829269
Looks good anon, maybe weather it up a bit first by diving down your nearest hill, it all looks a tad clean compared to the source image.
>>
>>10829073
/k/ is utterly retarded and overrun by actual schizos and edgy teens trying to troll. /cgl/ is slow as shit, but that keeps the quality relatively high. Nobody ends up here unless they're actively looking for it.
>>
>>10829905
It also doesn't fit on /k/, like airsoft. Though you could probably get a decent thread focusing on post-apoc/STALKER type larps but only once every year or so.
>>
>>10829905
>but that keeps the quality relatively high
it makes the thread exist, nothing more nothing elss. It isn't better or even worse than /tg/ apart from that.
I mean I like the conversations on /tg/ way more, but obviously there are more retards and edgelords there because it's a faster board with more people
>>
>>10829961
/tg/ threads are great. I'm specifically shitting on /k/ because it's my home board, and is objectively terrible, especially with the war going on.
>>
>>10830054
lets be honest, everyone likes to shit on their home board, and everyone is correct because 4chan is the asshole of the internet
>>
>>10825258
>>10825653
Never got around to answering you mate, sorry so here goes:
Ulfberth does some off the shelf stuff in s/m/l. Since I'm a Dutchfag I usually get their stuff at celticwebmerchant. If you specifics on what kind of helmet I could maybe help you better but here goes:

https://www.celticwebmerchant.com/nl/brands/ulfberth/page2.html

Otherwise I can point you to some guys who do custom work for good prices in Europe. On Facebook you can look up:

Jolly Knight Armoury (Bit over the place, but has a lot of good work as well)
Thoradin Ambolt's farriery (really depends on your helmet type, ranges from 200-2k) - Specializes in fantasy/high concept
Early Medieval Shop - Good stuff for the lowest price imaginable, the worst customer service I've ever had. It's like ordering Chinese at one of those real Chinese places, the guy taking your order doesn't understand you, you don't understand him, you both say some numbers and pay next to nothing. You're not sure what you ordered tho.

Websites of creators:
HBC Armour workshop - Ye Olde Poo in loo, cheap, vaguely reliable at times, and does a lot of custom work. Do be insanely clear with their customer care since they're responsive but also bad at it.

True History Shop - Good contact, good work, looooooong backlog. Oleg is a nice guy tho.
>>
>>10831612
Cheers mate. I actually already tried an Ulfberth helmet from CWM, but it was of exceptionally low quality. I returned it and left a very detailed but generally negative review, but the insincere fucks just haven't published it without any comment whatsoever. Had the same thing happen with Calimacil not too long ago.

I've since bought a random helmet that was okay and very cheap elsewhere, but I'll definitely keep the links around for when I'm in the market for a better one.
>>
>>10831632
Yeah Ulfberth is essentially just pajeet stuff with paying a middleman. Their only redeeming factor is their sizing from time to time, and some of their designs work better than others.

Glad to hear you've got something to sate rn anyway
>>
>>10831612
God Early Medieval Shop do my fucking nut in. The stuff they make for the price they sell it at is absurdly good, but interacting with them is like pulling teeth. Delays of minimum 4-6 months on anything you order, being left on read if you send something they dont like or understand, not giving you updates unless you chase them up on it and even then it's 50/50. The stuff I've actually received has been incredible, but they simply refuse to do things like give you tracking numbers, and I've given up on them after a parcel just vanished in the mail and they offered no help at all. Seeing them get super buttblasted over someone 'copying' their historical design on Facebook was icing on the cake.

>>10831632
Remember to get a good arming cap as well. I ended up lining a large helmet with sheepswool, and it now fits like a charm.
>>
Does anyone know how to get into contact with Gropey off board?
>>
>>10832324
He has a burner email that's he's posted a few times in previous threads, have a search for that.
>>
>>10832667
Found it, thanks.
>>
How would I go about making patterns for gauntlets that fit me? Snuggly preferably.
>>
>>10833381
5-10 years experience in armor making if you want it to really fit you snuggly
>>
>>10833449
Nuts to that. I have a pair of scissors and a whole lot of aluminium cans. Turns out you can cut them like paper and make pepakura.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.