[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 9 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: FGnnangUUAMDk4u.jpg (936 KB, 1000x1382)
936 KB
936 KB JPG
Old thread is hitting the image limit >>10715389

This thread is for ouji and aristocrat (aka "boystyle") discussion. "Boystyle" is shorthand for "boystyle lolita" and refers to the masculine counterparts of Japanese lolita and, often, aristocrat fashions. There is a lot of overlap between these styles, and different people use different terms to describe them. We usually just use "ouji" here.

>Shopping spreadsheet
This is broken, now. Can it be fixed?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7sg2_7CvXUeIgZGGSLvJ9lUUuSVXhW8FlWWFwiv1Yk/edit?usp=docslist_api

>Buttcape-sensei's shopping guide (mentions which brands/shops have men's or custom sizes):
https://stephano.me/blog/where-to-buy-ouji-fashion/

>Blogs for info
buttcape[.]blogspot[.]com
https://ouji-armoire.tumblr.com/tags
https://classical-alice.com/2018/03/09/%e7%9a%87%e5%ad%90%e3%83%bb%e7%8e%8b%e5%ad%90%e7%b3%bb%e3%83%ad%e3%83%aa%e3%82%a3%e3%82%bf%e3%83%95%e3%82%a1%e3%83%83%e3%82%b7%e3%83%a7%e3%83%b3%e3%81%ae%e7%89%b9%e5%be%b4%e3%81%a8%e3%83%96%e3%83%a9/ (in Japanese)
https://www.zhihu.com/question/398686032 (in Chinese; tap "read more" for a nice rundown of taobao ouji brands, which begin below the "couple clothes" section.)

Google your questions before asking them here.

Read the whole thread before asking questions here.

OC and selfposts encouraged! Random picspam discouraged.

Discussion: What exists for lolita fashion that its masculine counterparts lack? What do you wish we had?
>>
File: FUfCxD4aAAA7XGe.jpg (260 KB, 1280x1280)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
it was nice of Moitie to release a buttcape cardigan for us
>>
File: FXhZUvXakAIb0pD.jpg (45 KB, 480x720)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
and then AatP gave us a Hawaiian shirt
>>
File: FVvbwxLVIAAMpGE.jpg (1.09 MB, 2048x2048)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
meanwhile, Miho Matsuda continues to rot in a creative black hole
>>
File: FXiJT-aVQAEHoCP.jpg (539 KB, 1536x2048)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
while Royal Princess Alice continues to milk their hit ouji bone release by seeing how many variations on the theme they can crank out
>>
File: FV06BBdaMAAHGCj.jpg (510 KB, 1366x2048)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
>>10790305
(the original is better)
>>
File: FUI-3k2VEAE_LVT.jpg (84 KB, 480x720)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
AatP also released a sailor set, which did nothing to make up for their recent sins against ouji fashion. the Hawaiian shirt, after that baby onesie, puts AatP's status as key tastemaker for ouji in serious jeopardy.
>>
Always wonder is there some appropriate way to wear EGA when you're kinda big manly man with beard or whatever.
Ofc there's no brand clothes for this bodytype, but I'm ready to sew something, just need some direction, I think
>>
>>10790302
Miho Matsuda's quality is such trash. Honestly taobao tier
>>
>>10793242
EGA, like lolita, uses a clean-shaven face by default. however, you do not need to let that stop you. if you keep the spirit of vampiric goth-glam inherent to EGA, beards can work.

as for size, a lot of people make the mistake when going off-brand of neglecting the finer points of the fashion, which makes them indistinguishable from goths or steampunks. EGA uses fabrics of a higher quality than what mens goth wear usually provides, and is more liberal with the amount of cloth used for draping and layering. wide-leg pants are frequently worn, as are overskirts! ignoring such aspects tends to make DIY EGA look unremarkably similar to western goth or neovictorian fashion.
>>
File: FZXJ-NSacAEaB-W.jpg (474 KB, 1528x2048)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
finally, new AatP
>>
>>10793262
ega is just japanese neo-victorian. all the shit you said is retarded.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3.37 MB, 4384x1852)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB PNG
>>10793242
fanplusfriend makes ouji-appropriate stuff with custom sizing. They have the remarkable ability to make most of their products look cringe by hiring traditionally styled, conventionally handsome western men to model, when the look really requires a touch of alt-makeup and hair styling. Your beard/hair needs to look somewhat groomed and ideally you have some eyeliner and the most basic coverup to even out your complexion. If the clothes are so over the top and out-there - same with lolita - you need to commit or else you're putting lipstick on a pig
>>
>>10796219
>f+f
omg stop
>>
>>10796231
What's wrong with them?
>>
>>10796185
gull do you even Moitie
>>
>>10796231
>>10796252

it's the best option for larger ouji that cannot make or commission their own clothing. it sucks, but that is as good as it gets.
>>
>>10796185
what the western comm calls EGA the japanese call ouji, or "classical goth" or "classical european".

the west uses EGA as shorthand to mean "ouji that won't make my boyfriend feel gay." it's part of a legacy of bad info. using it outside of its visual-kei-like context should be discarded along with relics like "kodona" and "dandy" in this community.

if you do not look like an extravagant vampire, you are not doing EGA.
>>
>>10796315
EGA is also not limited to victorianesque style
>>
File: KeraManaStreetSnap.jpg (844 KB, 700x1063)
844 KB
844 KB JPG
>>10796317
casual EGA
>>
>>10796317
>>10796315
You're incorrect.
>>
ouji
>>
>>10796320
>source: my imagination
>>
File: 20210109165036-a9a65aa4.jpg (378 KB, 1542x2200)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
EGA
>>
>>10796325
this isn't ouji you faggot.
>>
>>10796315
Not this guy again. Please fuck off.
>>
>>10796310
ugly men who can't fit brand shouldn't be wearing the style.
>>
>>10796329
>>10796325
>>10796318
>>10796317
>>10796315
Reminder that this is a man who thinks he knows anything about japanese goth fashion for men, despite knowing nothing.
>>
>>10796334
it is, according to the wearer and to KERA
>>
File: FYcAdhwUcAA8cdp.jpg (558 KB, 1121x2048)
558 KB
558 KB JPG
you can follow @yorurunrunrun on twitter to see someone who wears both EGA and ouji (and sometimes lolita). her moitie wardrobe is huge!
>>
>>10796340
it's an image board, you can post counter examples if you want to convince anyone
>>
>>10796341
>>10796345
He's obsessed with "proof" despite using decades old magazine spreads as his only form of proof himself. kek.
>>
>>10796341
ouji isn't this, and if it was, it's not anymore. fashion evolves and you're using outdated examples from dead magazines.
>>
>>10796364
nta ive been hearing this kind of thing a lot like lolita has changed and this isnt it anymore. like what, it has expanded, it has evolved and mutated new limbs, but the vestigial ones are still there, oldschool ouji doesnt look remotely like the new shit but they're all still ouji
>>
>>10796366
yes

>>10796364
the kera example is recent: http://kerastyle.jp/snap/26241

even Boz staff called such coords "ouji".

the only change occurred outside of japan, as the western and chinese comms decided to limit ouji to a cute and more feminine style.
>>
>>10796360
thank you for keeping the thread active, but everyone can see that your statements are false. i think you can come up with a better argument if you try.
>>
>>10796369
>western and chinese comms decided to limit ouji to a cute and more feminine style.
I've always thought that it just looks like lolita with pants.. in some cases, it's literally just a lolita coord with bloomers and no skirt. I know the 'little prince' motif has been around since the beginning but it's weird to me that no term has come up to distinguish the two. I've heard it called shota style, which is not great given the connotations alongside lolita already, and I've heard people call it kodona, specifically, but that just ain't right
>>
File: 220px-Drunkards_Cloak.jpg (33 KB, 220x448)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>10793242
What aestethic you are going for exactly? Can you share us some reference pics?
>>
>>10796377
it is, anon is just an idiot who thinks he knows it all.
>>10796381
leave.
>>
>>10796377
Ouji literally means little prince. Everything you're saying are the distinguishing factors. EGA is the more mature version. It's as if tag abuse had always been a thing, even in magazines.
>>
>>10796369
Oh I get it now, you don't understand Japanese. Calling something x style, doesn't mean it's a specific substyle. Ouji lolita is a specific substyle of lolita, not a styling.
>>
>>10796310
I was thinking about buying their stuff for a long time, is the quality really bad?

I've found brando I can fit at this point anyway so it's not a big loss, I'm glad I can know to avoid it.
>>
>>10796407
f+f is cosplay quality at best. badly tailored, poorly fitted and ugly designs. and don't even think about getting custom sizing.
>>
>>10796411
Well I'm glad I don't need it then
>>
>>10796377
>I've always thought that it just looks like lolita with pants
"feminine ouji" could maybe be understood as "lolita with pants." however, ouji in general is the masculine counterpart to lolita. it can be mature or youthful. the Classical Alice link in the OP has a bit to say about this.

>>10796392
>little prince
why add the "little"?

also, "tag abuse" is a bit silly of a counter-argument for a snap that has no such thing occurring.

the fact is that EGA has only ever been used to mean "mature ouji" outside of Japan. in fact, EGA emerged later than ouji, and it is a style developed and defined by Mana. in Japan, people who use it to describe their coords are usually fans of Mana or Moitie specifically.

you could argue that using EGA for ouji makes as much sense as using EGL for general lolita. using EGL like that is something the western comm has done for a long time, even on this board. so, you could argue that using EGA for "mature ouji coords" is as valid as referring to "the EGL community" is. you could argue that it's silly to nitpick at vocab used outside of Japan by people who are not Japanese.

but that isn't what people who think "mature ouji = EGA" are arguing. they are arguing that Japanese people don't call a coord like >>10796325
"ouji" despite it being an easily and repeatably observable fact that they do.

meanwhile, the real problem remains: there are no good brand options for ouji who are not the size of a slender japanese person. the market is not profitable enough. so you have to be creative if you want to wear "masculine lolita", regardless of what label you call attach to your style. and, if you do choose to use "ouji," you have a better chance of connecting with like-minded people around the world, and you have a good chance of finding people in Japan who wear the kind of clothes you like.
>>
What is the quality like on Punk Rave? I like some of their pants
>>
>>10796504
goth club quality
>>
>>10796598
Do you mean that in a bad way? Lots of different kinds of people go to the clubs...
>>
>>10796479
Anon, you literally are making shit up. Stop demanding everyone cite sources and when your sources are just one off webzine snaps. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Also, ouji means young prince, there are different words in Japanese for prince. You seem really ignorant.
>>
>>10796504
quality is kind of a meme at this point desu. these aren't designer fashions, cotton can only be so good, construction only matters so much, it's more about how you wash them. if you like the design just don't throw it in the dryer to fade and fray.
>>
>>10796624
go home, anon, you're drunk
>>
>>10796621
they are good for swaying in place or stepping in small, rhythmic circles
>>
>>10796657
Pog
>>
god this thread is terrible whenever men are in it.
>>
>>10796711
Then go to the lolita thread roastie, this a men's style
>>
>>10796711
seethe nonny
>>
>>10796624
I've never heard that it specifies youth, I think that's just confusion with the title of the translation of the little prince, or with ji=kid and O=honorific.. but oji isn't honorable kid, like you might call a child prince, it's a middle aged man/uncle

I didn't dig much but read that ouji has been applied to men into their 20s, the example cited being a handsome figure skater that was dubbed the ice prince, and some posts saying that it was sometimes used similarly to ikemen for stylish young men
>>
>>10796724
you're confusing slang with historical context
>>
File: JESUS.jpg (1.09 MB, 1600x2133)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
lord, help this thread find peace
>>
File: E6aXa3jVIAcJbau.jpg (361 KB, 595x842)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
Japanese speaking anons, can you translate this at least through the tiers that lead to ouji?
>>
>>10796736
it basically says
>sticks to quality clothes, even if they're expensive. spending more makes you more productive at work!
yes
>loves girlish cuteness
no
>attracted to the dark, ominous or demonic and finds it beautiful
yes
>wants to be a prince more than a princess
yes
>ouji mawari
mawari is used to mean centered or leaning, as in your style is prince centered.
it also has a list of specific types of lolita if you want that translated.
>>
>>10796834
That would be amazing, thank you.
>>
>>10796736
the two sections are
lolita fashion and NOT lolita fashion. i will write the romanization in brackets.
for the lolita section
>sweet lolita[amarori]
>classic lolita[kurarori]
>deco lolita[dekorori]
>japanese style lolita [warori]
>clolita(chinese lolita)[chirori]
>ouji/prince lolita[oujirori]
>casual lolita[kajirori]
>lolita punk[roripan]
>hime/princess lolita(hime gyaru)[himerori]

for the NOT lolita section
>gothic[goshikku]
>steampunk[suchiimupanku]
>fetish/bondage[fetisshu]
>girly style[ga-ri-]
>dreamy cute[yumekawa]

gothic lolita isn't mentioned because up until as late the mid 2010s gothic lolita was a subset of gothic fashion and was under the gothic umbrella rather than the lolita umbrella.
>>
>>10796846
Thank you. Actually, I misunderstood. I thought you were generously offering to translate the whole thing. I can see "gosurori" together with "gothic" on the chart, and it's bolded like all the other lolita subtypes. I was wondering why it is on the chart but not on the list. I think it's the only thing in the flowchart that was left off the list.
>>
>>10796846
clolita is not the same thing as qilolita, anon
>>
>>10797200
Oh my bad. I can do that. Gimme a bit and I will.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.