[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 98 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 2017-07-27 20.16.23.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
New larp thread, now with 230% more Drachenfest.

Drachenfest soon fellow larpers! Everyone can make the bet: laser sun or schlammageddon?

Previous thread >>10750186
>>
File: tróger_rotte7.png (157 KB, 584x826)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
on a related note. It seems like our new flag will be ready to drachenfest (being a little optimistic) so you can find the hungarian landsknechts with under this one
>>
>>10787705
With a big UK fest coming up in a few weeks, it's likely it's going to land right in the middle of this mass heatwave. Can't wait to be incinerated instantly by 40 degree heat under my layers of armour and wool. Hope Drachenfest avoids a similar fate
>>
>>10787705
I'm going to a post apocalyptic larp to NPC. The organizer asked me to bring my medieval kit and mix it in.

So I'm probably doing plate limbs and helmet, plus gas mask, and plate carrier with rifle plates. It's going to be 95f out. It's been fun, larpthread, remember my stupidity once I'm dead of heatstroke.
>>
>>10787705
Just heard the fucking camp I'm in doesn't allow golems, so currently working on tons of silk kit to make up for my half finished golem plans.

Fucking tribes. Atleast I still got full armour and a wish to kill Germans with sloppy foam sticks.
>>
>>10787714
I rather have 40+ in the shadows than a schlammageddon

>>10787805
I mean, on one hand I understand you, but on the other shouldn't you get informed earlier?
>>
>>10787738
cool. post pics
>>
>>10787895
We talked about it in our initial group concept, but more on the backnote. We just read it up on the forums a short time ago, because by God, why the fuck do Germans want to use outdated forums for everything???

And then found out it's not allowed.
>>
>>10788063
forums are great for long term info keeping. But any self respecting group also has at least a discord server or something for day-to-day shittalking and idea generation.

anyway it's a shit situation so godspeed. We had to recalculate our whole transportation because at wednesday it turned out we wouldn't get the bus we rented, so I know the feel.
>>
Question for the hemafags of larpthread, especially Hungarian and Gropey.

Do you ever buy or design your larp weapons to be like the metal weapons that you train with? Is it worthwhile to do so?
>>
>>10788194
doesn't matter, get a sword that you enjoy using.
larpswords works differently then steel ones and a shitton changes when we calculate different rulesets and lets not even start on what happens when a calimacil meets an ultralight, etc.
I mean you COULD spend your time trying to minmax stuff but at the end of the day being sad with the result or just do fights in a way that you enjoy.

But personally I prefer the Wyvern replica series so far, that's what I like the most in the aspects of handling, safety, durability and looks.
>>
>>10788194
https://fake-steel.myshopify.com/en-world?fbclid=IwAR301W1ZQaPydwTpHomkQ3ukha2lDGu8GKVi2q5q9f6IYKpMWIBhWjZiHV8&shpxid=ea499d3b-db7a-4180-adc8-1f32ef84073e#about
>>10788238
pretty much this. the biggest differences imo is the balance and that boffers dont slide good against each other.
>>
>>10788247
bouncing, and too much flexibility can be a problem too, but really depends on the weapon. And sometimes it isn't balance but just simply the wapon is too light and you no longer can use it like a sword, any binding technique is fucked and being an orangutan/sewing machine crossbreed is much more effective
>>
File: PXL_20220716_205436172.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x3024)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>10788194
As per >>10788088, >>10788194 and >>10788238, it's negligible. While there are some things you can do within certain rule sets, and there are plenty of times that proper technique and conditioning can help you out, it's way too variable and in general not necessary. Most rule sets negate the targeting and physical actions taken in proper fencing and combatives, and the weapons themselves are so much lighter and lack many of the same physical principles that it's really more aesthetics than anything. I have one national tournaments in my chosen weapons forms, but that doesn't mean jack shit if I can't target 30% of a person, and they are drum rolling me with ultralight, lightsaber dickbats where every tippy tap touch is instant death.

That said, for my own enjoyment yeah, I'd try whenever I can. There are also certain things that do work to advantages like actually using your quillions , as well as good point control.

TL:DR, overall there is no advantage, but occasionally it does come through, and should only be done for one's personal enjoyment more than attempting to get advantage.

Pics order related. The only one that's missing is the flexible fencing blade with rubber tip in the same length and curvature as the hanger.
>>
>>10788279
You can bind with even the lightest of ultralight boffers, I do it all the time. Admittedly, I mostly use it to pin them in place for a fraction of a second and then strike off of the bind.
>>
>>10788319
My sword guy autism is super into shit like that pic
>>
>>10788352
only if the other guy wants it (too retarded) and you also have an ultralight. Otherwise it's just way to light with zero blade presence.

If the sword has a flexible core and lots of rubbery padding then there are too much bouncing for meaningful binding.

It's especially shit when totally different swords clash together as every kind of build has different pros and cons and not necesserily balanced AND most of the time doesn't resemble what the portrayed swords pros and cons were.

But on the other hand you can't use advanced techniques anyway as most people don't know shit about about swordfighting so you wont get into a situation where it's needed. Proper legwork and distance control and control in general is enough. Like if you use your whole body you have an extra arms reach basically over the random guys.
>>
>>10788088
Yeah forums can be decent, but at this point I just see no point why each German LARP has to have one like we're 2005 roleplaying cult infested with teenagers.

It's a shitty way to convey information, when it's still 90% in German anyway. But I digress: You managing to get all the stuff you need to the con next Friday?

P.s. At what camp are we going to do the meet this time?
>>
>>10788489
I'm still in pre-larp crafting panic but thankfully I only make for mayself a few accessories, though a whole new cloth for one and a half people.
Probably everything will be ready.

As for where... no idea, it was always rather "lets find each other" game. Just use the secret /tg/ handshake
>>
>>10788319
>doesn't mean jack shit if I can't target 30% of a person, and they are drum rolling me with ultralight, lightsaber dickbats where every tippy tap touch is instant death
Mood
>>
>>10788482
>Only if the other guy wants it
Hard disagree. I routinely force binds against people who absolutely hate it. I e even do e this with fakesteel VS an ultralight. Extremely difficult to do, but the difference in mass essentially dooms the ultralight if you can stop him disengaging with footwork.
>>
>>10788700
that's the too retarded part. You can do basically anything if you have skill and the other guy doesn't that's a nobrainer
>>
>>10788319
>>10788567
I'm afraid to ask but whats a dickbat?
>>
>>10788818
90% of the US larp weapons
>>
>>10788821
The pool-noodle boffer shit has always boggled my mind. How is it possible to retain any semblance of immersion while looking like you're competing in a Takeshi's Castle bonus round?
>>
>>10788837
It generally isn't.
>>
Hello, I need the tallest (in terms of leg coverage, not height) historicalish leather shoes you can recommand, and bonus points if the shop has custom sizing because my feet are inadultishly small and nobody ever carries my side. I get dabbed on by all shoe shops.

Otherwise just nice shoe shops based in Europe, if possible.
>>
>>10788194
Just about the only things I pay consideration to in that regard are safety/comfort (because I like it when people like fighting me), whether a weapon is thrust-safe, or if it has a more secure grip than some hockey tape over kitespar. Anything else is just dressing. You could make some arguments about balance points or blade presence, but it's really not worth considering unless you're a minmaxxing battlegame turbonerd.
Just get one that looks nice and won't take someone's eye out.

>>10788700
I haven't really tried any kind of bindwork in LARP, but in a HEMA/fencing environment, trying to force a bind against someone who doesn't wanna be there just ends with eating a zucken to the face.

>>10788837
It isn't, and it hurts the community in the long run. Immersion is the lifeblood of any larp, and boffers twist any game into just being Amtgard with extra rules.
A personal complaint is that they also make getting new players into the hobby impossible. No one wants to show up to an event and throw a foam tube around; they want to swordfight.
>>
>>10788996
www.historicalitalianshoes.com
The guy can make anything you want if you have the money but it will take a few months
>>
>>10789132
Thank you!
>>
>>10787714

Should be a bit cooler for Empire but that field is its own biome so who the fuck knows
>>
File: IMG_20220719_150350.jpg (97 KB, 727x969)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
meanwhile, flag got ready
>>
>>10789000
>Getting new players into the hobby
Direct qoute from my girlfriend:
>I thought it'd be cool like role models and I was excited
>But then we got there and everything looked really gay
I gave up on my home game, honestly. Are boffers fun?
Yes.
Are they worth the mess of downsides?
No.

>Binds
If you're in a lightest touch game a d the other guy disengages to strike, you just keep pushing and hit him first. Harder games you can just make a snap cut. This with single handers, though, longswords are pure wizardry to me.
>>
Anyone know where good places to get well fitted brigs are in the UK/Europe that don't cost an arm and a leg?

>>10789178
That's the dream, but we'll wait and see. Got to sort all my shit out for E3, lots of mending before then.

>>10788996
Foxblade shoes do good work out of the UK, I've got a pair of their 16th C riding boots and they fit like a glove.

>>10789208
Looks baller.

>>10789424
Aesthetics is 9/10ths of the experience, and boffers always look like shit, it is what it is.
>>
>>10789532
>Anyone know where good places to get well fitted brigs are in the UK/Europe that don't cost an arm and a leg?
a russian guy makes pretty good ones, even with hard plastic inserts for larp (way cheaper) and the ruble is pretty shit right now so it could be cheap... but on the other hand I don't think they ship in the forseable future
>>
>>10789532
If you're a cheapskate you can get an easy fit from Pavel Burkalov, won't save you much. I'd advise Aleksey Perebeynos in all other cases, pretty cheap, price-quality is insane. If Aleksey is full you can always check out with Pavel Burkalov.

>UK
Lmao, nothing that isn't costing you an arm and a leg. Prof smiths there need to make 5x what an Maximimovich needs to make.

Anyway, look up these guys on Facebook and you should find them quite easily.

>>10789606
They fucking better, my helmet should still be coming in for Empires from Russia (the one in Germany, aptly named "epic Empires" because it's better :^)
>>
File: IMG_20220717_160413.jpg (75 KB, 684x912)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
so pre larp crafting I finished two project that was due for years now
First is a bigger sidebag that will hopefully can store all the random shit I always get my hands on
>>
File: IMG_20220721_114239.jpg (71 KB, 684x912)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>10790115
and the other is a new jerkin.

Tomorrow we either depart for drachenfest or commit a hate crime against the guy who rents the bus for us
>>
File: 20220721_160412.jpg (1.36 MB, 3737x2803)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>10787705
Last day of work. Checking assemblies, testing the trigger, experimenting with projectiles and logistics. Nailing the final component in place. She's done.

She's done, lads. There's a million and one things to improve, there's woodstain everywhere, she'll just be firing arrows for now and the odds of the axle lasting through nine days of Drachenfest are slim at best, but she's done. Everything else can come later. Saturday morning we'll be packing her up and driving her to Germany, and she's going to shine all week. Thank fuck that the pallisade master skill also allows you to repair siege weapons, because it'd suck if she got taken out of commission at the first siege I brought her to.

Come to think of it, does anyone know how quickly arrows sell out at Drachenfest? I only have three of them right now so I'll need to stock up a bunch. Like at least a dozen more.

Anyhow, hit me up if you want to get up to any shenanigans that require a siege weapon. You can recognize me by the kettle hat with the grey camp logo on it in combat, and a blue/purple beret outside of it.

In just two days my ballista will be up and running at the Drachenfest. Her trial by fire. This is everything I've worked towards and I'm so goddamn proud, lads.
>>
>>10790307
Looking forward to taking a hit from that to the face
>>
>>10790115
>>10790116
>>10790307
Jesus Christ I am behind my projects. These look amazing, fellas.
>>
thing to keep in mind: boffer just means any kind of larp weapon in most of scandinavia
>>
>>10790652
Another thing to keep in mind: The buffer also is slang for pedophile in a lot of the English speaking world.
>>
>>10790115
>>10790116
Looking on point!
>>
>>10790307
You're with the university kids in grey right? I'll pop down from the tribes if you guys need to make a quick buck sometime, we might have a client who's in the need of one.

Has everybody prepared their /tg/ handshake for the meet?
>>
>>10790759
>You're with the university kids in grey right? I'll pop down from the tribes if you guys need to make a quick buck sometime, we might have a client who's in the need of one.
Yup! We are currently in debt and looking at over two gold of planned expenses so we'll gladly hear your offer, surely nothing can go wrong
>>
paging The Incident.
People are apparently trying to get in touch, go comment on one of the drachenfest US photos of you with an egg or something
>>
>>10790922
I don’t have a Facebook. Tell them to give me awhile and I’ll try to get the one someone made me from high school. You’re lucky I have no life and check these threads frequently
>>
>>10790922
I’m high as fuck
LastSaneSupervillain#5549

That is my discord name give that to them. Put it in public I don’t care. I say bad things and I can’t say them in a public forum and I am high and can’t figure out Facebook
>>
>>10790969
>LastSaneSupervillain#5549
I posted something for you chief, ganbatte
>>
>>10790934
>You're lucky I...
nah, I know my own when I see them. Or wander into camps lying about being a diplomat with them.
>>
>>10791065
Thank you. I’ll dance at your wedding.

>>10791239
Now that we’re not at the game we can all admit that I should have been the autocrat in charge of blue camp and therefor the official diplomat and official everything. So it wasn’t a lie. It was the truth that everyone was too afraid to acknowledge.

Now where can a guy get one of these things. Guidon? Standard? Would I just ask someone making custom banners if they’d make me one of these
>>
>>10791264
I mean, I'm all in favor of NOT being in charge again, and the camp is more or less officially in it for the lulz now so....
>>
>>10790116
Damn this looks good, did you do it by eye or off a pattern?

>>10790307
We all need a video of this masterpiece being fired anon, don't sadden us.
>>
>>10788319
Check your Facebook message requests. I shared some player to you who are interested in your larp.
>>
File: received_2280765508742769.jpg (538 KB, 1488x2000)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
Tried LARPing for the first time this weekend. Had a shitton of fun. Kind of regret that I didn't try it earlier due to being a retarded pussy who did not dare to try something he wanted. Also kicked ass in mellee, but then got really shredded by archers.
>>
>>10787705
That is a great fucking banner
>>
>>10791750
Good to hear, bro! dame shit happened to me 12 years ago.
I too bought a shitty larp cuirass that was so painful to wear I only buy reenactor armour now, haha
>>
>>10791389
New goal next year is to become the spymaster of another camp. The irony will be delicious

>>10791750
I feel your arrow pain. In the final Drachenfest battle I didn’t get hit once with a melee weapon. Every time I was about to make a heroic charge into the enemy line I’d get peppered with arrows
>>
>>10791750
Glad to hear you had a good time anon. Good starter kit as well, creates a really solid aesthetic. I'd have been so lucky to have a decent arming doublet as my first kit.

>>10792049
The main system I play in makes you basically arrow proof as long as you wear metal armour, but I do occasionally still get boromir'd by mass ranks of archers and can pull out the Platoon style shot to shit falling over RP.

>>10791773
Big mood. I remember getting into larp for the fantasy bits, and now I autistically stress over whether my maille is historically accurate enough. Life hits you fast.
>>
>>10792049
>>10792050
This is why I wear head to toe plate, carry a big shield, and do a lot of weighted cardio. Archers are bad people, and I live to run them down and punish them.

>>10792049
Mine is to get revenge for the five or so arrows to the eye I took in a 15 minute fight. Archers in other games have learned that it's best not to shoot at me, need to establish the same reputation at drachenfest so I can fight in peace.
>>
any runequest updates?
>>
File: PXL_20220723_022536271.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x3024)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>10791609
Thanks.

>>10791750
Awesome, glad you had fun. A shield helps with archers.

Now ditch the cowboy boots, John Wayne.

Pic unrelated, from another convonabout grooming at events in character/period.
>>
File: laughing_elf_man.jpg (60 KB, 600x829)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>10794198
>Now ditch the cowboy boots, John Wayne.
>>
>>10791574
free handed most of it as I've done a few already
>>
>>10793296
Just got back from a weekend event, probably no updates for about 3 weeks as I frantically try to not crater out of my real life deadlines.

>>10792056
The few times I decided to just wear greaves rather than my full leg harness this weekend had me Skyrim-guarded pretty much constantly, so I share the sentiment. The point blank knee shot is really annoying when half the opposing force is archers.

>>10794386
Don't suppose you have any patterns lying around? Had a hard time finding any, and I'm looking at making a similar jacket for a Warhammer fantasy game.
>>
>>10794404
have a few patterns I've found through the years but you always have to modify it a lot, so if you don't have any experience in that I don't think it would help
>>
Hey folks, been a while! Got 2 questions:

1) Anyone got any good patterns for Landsknecht hats? Asking for a friend. They didn't specify a specific model so up for anything.
2) Recommendations for vendors for getting a nice pair of leg wraps or two? Not looking for perfect HA especially as this is going into a kit that is more or less a meme and doesn't have much to do with history, but something that I don't have to be outright ashamed of. Trying to stop myself from just getting a set of tablets and doing it myself.
>>
>>10794579
you want something with a little stretch to it. and look up how to wrap on youtube. if you do it wrong they fall off
>>
File: 1390425233579.jpg (111 KB, 800x1362)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>10794579
this is one of the easiest one I have, if you want more complicated ones tell me
>>
>>10794579
Go try to find your local re-enactment store and buy woollen herringbone wraps which have been woven as a strip and not cut from a sheet. You need 100% wool because it has velcro-like properties keeping the wraps from slipping. You need the herringbone woven in a strip to get the stretch which makes the wraps fit tightly around your non-rectangular leg. also, make sure they are long enough. You need at least 4 meters or more if you are a "prosperous gentleman" like me. If you buy your wraps too short they won't reach over your calf and slip down and be useless.

This is one of these items where only the high-quality stuff is worth buying. Don't buy them from larp-stores because they simply won't work.
>>
>>10794784
Hit me with something more complicated, friend's opinion was "needs more flair". He has a gf who can sew pretty well/advise him so I don't think skills are a huge issue.

>>10794783
>>10794786
Thanks for the tips! I was looking for specific suggestions if anyone has a good experience with someone on Etsy or some such. I did forget to mention that I'm based in Europe, so EU preferred. There's a few local weavers here but commissioning from them feels a little bit awkward as they strive for 100% HA and I'm not too fussed about details like whether the wool is actually dyed with HA dyes and whatnot. My budget isn't quite infinite so not too keen on paying 100€/pair

>>10794786
Do you actually have re-enactment stores where you live? The closest thing I could come up with here is some of the museums which have shockingly good gift shops, as well as a few traditional handicraft shops, but I've never seen leg wraps specifically for sale.
>>
>>10794800
They do exist, especially on the internet, but they suck at marketing so it's generally a case of being lucky enough to find them. My best advice is to look if an open air museum near you has an event with traders and to visit it to collect business cards... or just buy the damn things.

In the Netherlands classicfabrics (dot nl) sells hand dyed machine woven leg wraps for 62,50 per set of 2 times 4 meter. Maybe the prices are different in other countries but I wouldn't know.

This is a case where going for Historical Authenticity is essential, simply because historically people did things that worked and you can't take shortcuts with an item of clothing that is so dependent on the type of material used. The one budget option is to go for undyed leg wraps which are somewhat cheaper.
>>
>>10794579
>>10794800
If you're EU based, I recommend Perkele Viking store for legwraps. Very decently priced, and can stand up to a battering. Hit the nice inbetween of being 100% wool, without being fully HA with weave etc.

>>10794784
I second getting more patterns, love seeing this stuff as it gives me ideas for future characters.
>>
odd question, but anyone have any patterns for something like the Honor belts of the Riders from Six ages: ride like the wind?
>>
>>10794817
Surely the dye used does not affect how well the wraps stay up? That's the main thing I was commenting on in my previous comment - the makers I know local to me use hand spun wool dyed with HA plant dyes, and I find it quite hard to believe that chemical dyeing would somehow affect the texture of the wool significantly enough as to cause slippage. Thanks for the shop suggestion though!

>>10794820
And thanks for this suggestion as well!
>>
>>10794858
the colouring shouldnt matter.
also, get yourself some hooks or mini-fibulae for further stability
>>
>>10794858
The dye doesn't. The weave does. Herringbone has a bit of stretch in it which plainweave doesn't. That lack means they can't be bound as tightly. If you could find chemically dyed herringbone wraps which are woven as a strip and not cut from a cloth that would work as well but I don't know of any.

So yeah, machine spun is fine as long as it is herringbone pattern. Which is also why these things are 60 euro and not 100+

Most cheaper options however are either plainweave, not wool, cut from a cloth or a combination of those and these are what gives leg wraps a bad reputation for falling off easily amongst larpers.
>>
>>10794861
larpers also often dont check how you are supposed to do it. the technique is SO important https://youtu.be/fzHLQ7ILBKQ
>>
>>10794800
>good experience with someone on Etsy
I got gifted a pair from SlavMedievalShop that I have no complaints about. Came with the little hooks too.
>>
>>10795124
God bless crafting slavs and their low prices
>>
>>10794198
Didn't want to use a shield for aesthetic purpose, as well as the fact that I find it way more fun to fight with a longsword. Dodging and trying to deflect arrows may be hard, but man is it satisfying to actually pull it off and chase after the archer. And yeah, as much of an amiriboo I am, I will change the boots eventually, at least until the next summer. Will try a different costume though, as my character has died this year and I don't have any more fantasy LARPs where I am at
>>
is it just me, or this US DF looks a budget version of the original one?
>>
File: 20220804_112648.jpg (15 KB, 217x170)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>10795646
Damn, the girth of that lad>>10795646
>>
any euros know where I van buy a pair of rams horns? I need to , somehow, attach them to a hat
>>
>>10795646
that's because it is?

Honestly I hate the "professional" touch in all those pictures. I want clean crisp pictures of an event. Not some 2014 video game bloom and gloom nonsense that you could get the same effect by laying your nuts on the camera lens.

unfortunately america seems to be lacking in any great larps. We're all too fragmented. My local "factions" haven't had an update since 2013
>>
>>10794868
Proper way to do it is to start at the upper calf and end at the toes
https://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/clothing.htm#men
>>
>>10795646
From what few pictures I've seen, the first years of Drachenfest also looked like a budget version of its current form.
>>
>>10794800
>>10794820
sadly I can't post pdfs here for whatever reasons, will look up if I can do anything about it, but for the really fancy stuff you have to make your own pattern, and most of the bling comes from other places, like how you slashing it what material you use or if you can work with feathers or not.

>>10795682
twenty years ago when every larp looked like a budget version of itself
>>
Did you guys enjoy the extra long DF this year?

Personally, a week was a bit draining at the end, but the extra days gave enough time to visit stuff I always wanted but never had the chance to.
>>
File: 20220729_184843.jpg (3.4 MB, 4032x1816)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>10795698
wasn't long enough if you ask me,
>>
>>10795706
Good larps never are.

Any of you fuckers going to bicolline?
>>
>>10795646
It is. Playerbase has little to no experience at anything even vaguely similar, with most doing at most a weekend larp with all logistics provided. Tons of first time Larpers, too. Still head and shoulders above most of our larps, playerbase actually gave several fucks.
Give it five years. I already have people asking me how to find shit like period accurate shoes.
>>
>>10795749
>I already have people asking me how to find shit like period accurate shoes.
thats... not the best sign
>>
>>10795756
Given that the usual American attitude is "noooo, period shoes will break our feet I need my sneakers"
It's an excellent sign.
>>
>>10795756
Americans actively refuse to even wear the cheapest shit. If people actually do have money they buy expensive armor and put it over their hoodie and jeans. It’s a fucking miracle that anyone actually wanted to upgrade to non modern shoes.
>>
>>10795959
its kinda weird how lacking the DIY spirit is over there.
well, ok it has kinda died down here too. but back in the day we made all our own larpgear. even when we started importing good looking swords we still made our own clothing
>>
>>10795914
>>10795959
you guys misunderstood. Getting good shoes on itself isn't the problem.
Getting """period accurate""" shoes when otherwise your whole cloths is a mismatch is a problem.

First of all, period accurate is just a buzzword, and without stating which period it's meaningless, plus it's bullshit for larp. You only need reenactment type shoes if your setup is at least resembles reenactment type stuff. For a fantasy elf archer you can get various modern shoes with little modification that fits it better.

Secondly, shoes the last thing you have to worry about. It's just as much an accessory as armor. You only have modern boots? no problem, just hide it with something, legwraps, gaiters, whatever, nobody fucking cares who isn't an elitist retard or very anal about photos.

Thirdly it's usually a big investment if you want good quality stuff, and you REALLY don't want bad quality stuff. You can spend that money probably on a shitton of other things as a beginner, or even if you are larping for a decade. Having comfortable shoes is always better than having shoes that perfectly fits your character. It's just as much a safety thing as the weapons but for your feet

So for me it's an instant redflag if someone who has a beginner tier cloths and starts asking about how to get """period accurate""" shoes, because more than likely that person didn't put enough thoughts into his stuff and follows bullshit trends.
>>
>>10795987
The people that do DIY things are the good ones. I think there’s a certain precedent of good enough in America. Dudes come in with nursing scrubs for pants an oversized shirt and sneakers and because that’s “good enough” no one pushes anyone else to do better.

Shit the marshal of silver camp had never been to a larp bigger than him and his 8 friends and almost all of his camp stuff was DIY. I live in my car like a psycho so I didn’t want to get a tent but now I feel like I need to because he’s set a certain standard of what’s expected from committed players.

>>10795998
You have made very good points. It’s like you’re trying to explain advanced stuff though. We’re just glad some Americans are doing literally anything to improve themselves.
>>
>>10796267
consider it this way: it's an error that a lot of us went through, and if you skip it, you can spare yourself spending money unnecessarily.

I mean doing anything to improve yourself is nearly always better than doing nothing, but at some points your brain must be involved and have to start thinking on the what and how among other things, and not just do stuff that you feel like at the moment
>>
American here, all I have near me is Amtgard because Midwest. How do I find or start something that's not tap to death with penis swords?
>>
>>10787705
Why a tranny faggot front and center!?
>>
>>10795998
>>10796267
Where should an American actually start looking for good DIY footwear then?
>>
>>10796950
I think the first thing to look at would be literally any other kit, as regular brown hiking boots can blend in while giving you good ankle support blah blah etc. If you've sorted everything else to a good standard and have some basic leatherworking tools, Turnshoes are pretty ubiquitous historically and really not all that hard to make if you have a few spare evenings and a willingness to learn a new skill.

>>10796894
Find something? Check FB pages and forums, which is a rough trek. Maybe ask around at local nerd hangouts, that sort of thing. Start something? Now we're cooking with gas. Use a ruleset that emphasises Roleplaying over stats, ideally something that's only a few pages long and easy to remember and learn. Save the effort you could have used to write a gigamassive rulebook to write a really solid kit brief (depending on what vibe you want the game to have, medieval, ancient fantasy, whatever). Have examples of kit from a wide range of price ranges, and even examples of how to make basic stuff like a tunic on the cheap. Zweihander's kit brief is a perfect example of this. Don't just advertise to larpers, advertise to theatre kids and people who play RPGs and rely on the high standard of costuming to draw people in primarily on the aesthetic. Don't host it in a fucking park, try find a site thats far enough away that random dog walkers won't meander through. Enforce kit standards, and have a few people as your core NPC crew who are onboard and can do the same.

>>10795706
Damn that's a good camp setup. The longer I spend in this hobby the more having a good looking camp is the ideal for me, I really need to stop being a public transport pleb.

>>10795662
You can find them on ebay for surprisingly cheap. Honestly though, just comissioning some foam ones off a larp maker would make more sense if you want them strapped onto your head, they'll be a lot lighter.
>>
File: 1311742500600.jpg (593 KB, 700x4000)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>10796950
start looking for DIY footwear covers first. and /cgl/ is pretty good for that
>>
File: 1311742573337.jpg (844 KB, 700x4000)
844 KB
844 KB JPG
>>10797185
>>
>>10797112
>use a ruleset that emphasises Roleplaying over stats
What do you mean, like bonuses for playing your character archetype over having like 5 STR? I've only been to Amtgard myself, and that was so lame it was basically playing tag, so I'm not sure what /right/ looks like.
>>
What varnish do you use to conserve your stuff ? I tried transparent plastidip, but a larp weapon artisant did sneer at that, and the result is not perfect either, especialy for armor. any idea ?
>>
>>10787705
Are you guys using cloaks? And when yes, what kind and from what fabric? I think about making one for myself and i found a german webshop, with a "medieval fabrics" categorie. Im not sure what fabric to use, since i never really worked with any. Any tips and ideas?
>>
>>10797344
WOOL!
get wool!
>>
>>10797344
depends on everything. Wool is good but there are other viable options too, depending on what kind of cape you want and for what.
>>
>>10797456
>>10797459
> 100% Wool
> Heavy & opaque
> Very warm & thick

Like this? Nothing else like 80% wool, 10% cashmere, 10% polyamide, soft, breathable one?
>>
>>10797344
>>10797456
Fell and Faire has a great looking linen cloak, but is that an appearence vs function thing?
>>
>>10797465
i would like to make a cloak, which looks good but also would save me from rain, snow, etc
>>
>>10797466
okay, ignore the snow one. The last time it snowed, was one year ago and that for 3-4 days. I dont think i gonna see any snow in the next 100 years
>>
File: Roman larp.jpg (550 KB, 1030x687)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>10797344
>>10797462
Pretty much just adding to what everyone else has said; Wool is always good. You want as high % as possible, as that makes wool's natural waterproofing the strongest and makes the weave best able to shrug off the cold. As far as >>10797466 and making a cloak goes, just a big wool blanket with a pennanular broach is a go to easy and effective option. I've worn that setup in heavy snow and driving rain and been decently toasty and dry underneath.

>>10797302
Honestly? For larp weapons, just spray them down with silicone spray occasionally and keep out of direct sunlight and high/low temps. For armour, car paint/laquer works a treat, but just abrating off any rusty spots and reoiling before wrapping in a towel between events does the trick if you don't want to go for the full painted look.

>>10797253
It's hard to explain, but it can be summed up as 'Don't have people require X skill to do something when they can roleplay it instead if that makes sense for their character'. Stuff like a basic hits system, and maybe one or two combat calls is a good baseline, but rather than having a stat that, say, allows you to lift heavy things, just go "hey, if it makes sense for your character and you RP it well you can do it." One of my favourite things at one of the big systems I go to are traumatic wound cards, where if you do some cool combat roleplay and get beaten up a bit, a ref can hand you an injury card that requires deeper medical roleplay than just getting your hits reduced to 0. This can be stuff like "broken leg" or "smashed ribs", and has a specific set of RP prompts to follow for both the injured player and for the healer who has to fix the injury. Rather than having a big monster call out a fear effect that does X and Y to players mechanically, just promote people responding as their character should.
>>
>>10797466
aye you want wool then. You want something that can actually keep yopu warm at night.
chicks dig being warm at night. "come sit under my cloak" always works
>>
I never larped before, only read about.
It looks interesting and wanted to give it a try, but i dont know where to beginn with. What should i know and what do i have to do before jumping in?
>>
>>10797815
It's a hard question to answer, because it 99% depends on where you are based. The generic answers are stuff like look for local groups with good kit standards, then ask them about their ruleset etc. Without knowing that there's really no solid advice to give beyond "don't buy cheap crap costume off the internet".
>>
>>10797815
Where are you local to? Anons in your local area can give you resources or even directly reach out to get you involved, and people like Gropey and Ontariolarpfag pride themselves on getting newbies started.

What kind of game are you looking for? Battle game? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Post-apocalyptic?
>>
>>10797471
larp weapon are fine, but armor get scratched easily.
What car paint/laquer do you use ? used transparent plastidip as varnish on plastic, it get destroyed reaaally pretty fast by any type of abrasion.

the aim would be to protect painting on it, but flexipaint get peeled off quite easily without something else to protect it.
>>
>>10797815
Find an event that you like the look of and commit to it before you start buying stuff. Also in my experience, the biggest LARPs are by far the least daunting and most beginner-friendly.
>>
>>10798390
Yea, but also the less easy to get into when you know nobody.
You need to join a group/faction for that, as alone you will be unable to do stuff.
>>
Not looking forward to being set alight by this fuck off lamp at LT
>>
File: tR5lhSgbhPM.jpg (101 KB, 634x426)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
How the fuck do I mimic a woven basket? No willow trees in the closest 50 km, but I have some EVA foam to try, but maybe there're alternatives I can't think of.
I'm looking to imitate these beekeeper hoods.
>>
>>10798649
go to the dollar store?
>>
>>10797344
get wool, with a tablion made of silk to be fancy!
>>
File: 1643139390220.jpg (63 KB, 640x569)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>10787705
I got involved with a local LARP group for a bit as well as went to some SCA meetups and shit. Both ended up being obnoxiously woke. I tend to be able to tolerate that sort of shit, I've got friends that are just flat-out Socialists, but it was all the fucking time with them, just constantly going on about LGBTQ+ and Diversity and pushing heavy COVID restrictions even though this was just earlier this year long past the point that basically every state in the country had dropped restrictions and the majority of the population was already vax'd.
Both felt really low-effort on top of all of it. The LARPers just wore a lot of black Hot Topic-tier clothes and some nonsense plain black foam "armor" or leather chunks, nothing was ever painted, all of this in spite of whatever group/faction they claimed to be a part of. The SCA armored group was just a bunch of old fat guys in the most anachronistic (ironic, I know) and minimal kit that was almost always rusted to shit, which they bragged about calling it a "patina". One wouldn't shut the fuck up about how he'd been doing martial arts for soooooo long and was just the best. Most were nice otherwise, but god, I show up in painstakingly pieced together full period dress and they start talking to me like I don't know shit about history. The Rapier folk kept saying weird, inappropriate shit like they were trying to assert dominance, like telling me more shit I already knew like I was a literal child as well as openly bragging to this person they'd just met about how into BDSM they were.
Is it like this everywhere else in the States?

Have some hobbit cats too, I guess.
>>
>>10798795
>Both ended up being obnoxiously woke
Without even bothering to read the rest of your novella, I can guarantee you that the problem is you, bud.
>>
>>10798795
>I show up in painstakingly pieced together full period dress
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
>>10798795
You're a woman aren't you...
>>
>>10798795
You sound like a massive, dry heaving asshole. You should kill yourself.
>>
>>10799003
found a wokie
>>
>>10798795
A few of these things are unfortunately "normal", like retards thinking rust is cool, and some larpers and adjacent hobbyists being structurally incapable of not acting weird around women. I can't speak for the SCA, but in the last twenty or so years larp has had a massive increase in attention to safety (both physical and social) so excessive covid-wankery is about par for the course too.

The rest sounds like you just had a stroke of bad luck. There's plenty of shitty and/or toxic people in these hobbies, and sometimes the good people abandon a community before the bad ones do. If you're still interested in the hobby, just shop around for other groups until you find one that works for you.

Then again, you also sound like you wouldn't know self-reflection if you got hit in the face with a mirror, so take everything I said with a grain of salt.
>>
>>10799096
>"Wokie"
The more you post, the more you just prove that you don't belong in public. I guarantee that not a single word that you said above actually happened.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1660563634741.jpg (94 KB, 1080x1080)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>10798217
I'm here, what's up?

>>10798374
While it shouldn't be nearly as bad against larp weapons, the raw and indelible truth is that no matter what, paint is going to scratch and need to be reapplied semi-regularly. This is as true in history as it is today. Modern impact krylons made by companies like rustoleum are tougher, but you'll still eventually have to reapply and touch spots up.

>>10798649
It is possible to use thin foam tubing and paint it if you really wanted to, but it would honestly be cheaper, stronger, safer and easier to just go to a thrift store or craft store and buy a cheap round or ovoid basket the size of your face, make a hood, and just whip that stitch it in. You can also get a shallow, flat round one, this is just the first basket that I had that was vaguely facesized at hand. Pic related.

>>10798795
>>10798795
I am certain that you actually believe this narrative that you've constructed to protect your own fragile ego, but it's pretty obvious from your post what actually happened.

You probably showed up in some gas station/Bud-K tier generic crusader crap, spilled your spaghetti everywhere, spouting memes and /pol/ bullshit, and were generally acting like an ignorant cunt. Each time in each group you were at first pitied, avoided, and then stonewalled or invited to leave.

But please, let's see this "painstakingly pieced together full period dress".
>>
>>10799121
Yeah, I've miraculously managed to source a real basket, it's all right, thanks.
>>
>>10799138
Fantastic. Pics when you're done!
>>
>>10799121
>While it shouldn't be nearly as bad against larp weapons, the raw and indelible truth is that no matter what, paint is going to scratch and need to be reapplied semi-regularly. This is as true in history as it is today. Modern impact krylons made by companies like rustoleum are tougher, but you'll still eventually have to reapply and touch spots up.

Yes, I know I can't fight entropy, but I'm sure my current solution is suboptimal.
Right now is seem that just bending the knee and resting on the grass/dirt was enough to highly scratch the plastidip laquer. strangely, it seem to hold really well on styrogum, tanking hit from steel sword, but the one on the HDPE plastic chest or greave don't hold any abrasion.

I'm thinking about starting again, scratching the painted surface with sandpaper to have higher adherence on reaplication, then applying a better laquer all over it, like the rustoleum you said.

But last time I used acrylic on a plastic cuirass for airsoft, I noticed that any impact made by the pellet kinda flaked all the paint around it, while another in flexipaint had barely any damage. Well, to be fair there wasnt any varnish for both.
Should I stay with flexipaint or use acrylic ?

>>10798795
Kek.
>Socialist
Who call themselves socialist ? it's commie or anarchist, you really sound like a /pol/ard who coulnd't stop being asshole
for one single event.
But i'm curious about seeing how great is you "full period dress"...
>>
File: IMG_20220815_1611456.jpg (1.87 MB, 3853x2167)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>
>>10798795
and then everyone clapped
>>
>>10799150
>>10799151
I missed the part that it was plastic. That's a lot of flex, so a more flexible paint will obviously be better.
>>
>>10798795
Man, that sucks. Have you thought about killing yourself?
>>
>>10799121
This shit is pure nightmare fuel and I don't know why.
>>
>>10798795
Yah, nah, you're a cunt.
>>
>>10799175
ok for the paint, but is the krylons thing still a good idea ?
>>
>>10799150
Keep in mind that sandpapering plastic armor can fuck up the texture and prevent it from being really smooth after painting.
Otherwise - flexipaints or just using plasti-dip kind of paint is usually fine.
I just paint a new coat every once in a while with acrylic metallic paint from a rattlecan every once in a while. But then again, I use the armor once or twice a year, tops.
>>
>>10799255
Bees are your friends. This is just my FRIEND SUIT.

>>10799354
Honestly, no idea. I have never actually worked with plastic armor.
>>
>>10799360
If I only sandpaper the part I want to paint, at least if give me visual clue of where the paint will have flaked. putting the paint back is a pain, but mostly because of the motif that have to be made by brush

I tried to use a lot of plastidip to get a thicker varnish coating, but it seem to not have worked well.
when I've removed the previous part, I've noticed that some part were easy to peel, while other next to impossible. I'm asking myself if the second one were thinner, rather than thicker. maybe that's a solution...

Any idea about how those using resin for armor or armor decoration does ?
>>
>>10799368
First, try using plastidip as basecoat, then put paint over it, then, if you want, put plastidip as varnish.
Second, yes, it's better to apply any paint and/or varnish in several thin layers instead of one thick layer.
Third, if possible, make a stencil for the motifs to simplify the process of reapplying it. I usually just make a paper stencil, use masking tape to put it on a piece of armor, and spraypaint it.
Fourth, when stripping paint off plastic armor, use isopropanol, works wonders in cleaning off acrylic without damaging the plastic itself. Although, I have no idea how to make it work with varnishes.
I usually work with ABS armor, which is more likely to crack rather than flex, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Never tried resin, though, so no idea how that works.
>>
>>10799374
>ABS

What do you do with ABS ? only heard of ABS brig.

My plastic stuff is low-pressure polyethylene (HDPE). When I was talking cuirass, it was a modern fencing one, very flexible. The stuff i'm using now is arms, shin guard and a cuirass made for Hema, a bit less so.
and yes, I will need a stencil and thing to ease the reapplication.

About removal... well it isn't a issue, that's rather the problem.
When a bit of the plastidip start to peel off, I just have to pull it a bit to remove... everything, like i was peeling a peach. also a line did curl and roll up after being exposed at the sun. I feel like I fucked up something to have so limited resistance from something that is supposed to be varnish.

I will try with thiner layers, and wait more time before each of them.
>>
>>10799387
I have a couple of ABS plate cuirasses I need to fix every now and then, and I paint shit for my teammates. I also tried doing some EVA foam armor, but that only works on events with foam weapons. Usually, using plastidip as a basecoat works pretty well with those.
>>
I've heard about a trend in belgian/german larp to get the lightest and bendy weapon possible, making it very efficient but ugly fencing as hell.
Is that
>>
>>10799488
arg, stupid me. well, has someone seen that, or is this just a rumor ?
>>
File: IMG_20220816_210441.jpg (3.32 MB, 3456x4608)
3.32 MB
3.32 MB JPG
>>10799140
Done. I've decided to make just a hood, since I don't have a lot of time and I'm not spending it on a joke hat.
>>
>>10799501
Looks great! How easy is it to see through?
>>
>>10799503
Not super great, but more or less possible. I'm definetly not going to use it at night, but otherwise it's okay. Then again, I'm used to various monster masks with limited vision.
>>
>>10799488
>>10799491
Neither Belgian nor German, but living close to both borders. If anything, I've seen people trend towards heavier weapons rather than lighter ones in my personal circles.

The current flavour of meta discussion / powergaming combat effectiveness here is all about the length of the weapon, rather than its flexibility. YMMV, obviously.
>>
>>10799501
10/10 FRIENDSUIT, Anon. Looks awesome!
>>
>>10798649
>>10799121
>>10799501
So is this the new "thing" that all the fancy larpfags are doing, or should I skip the trend?
>>
>>10799704
Trend? That's just a one-time joke hat I did to scare some players on an event next week and get my ass kicked.
>>
>>10799505
Probably it's just the shitty eastern european mindset but the current meta here is skill if we are talking about anyone after the age of reason
>>
>>10799721
Skill and weapon length if combined with numbers, I guess. In Russia, current "meta" is either mass use of tower shields, or pikes. Or both, if rules allow.
It is actively limited by many events, and too flexible weapons were prohibited for a while now.
>>
>>10799488
In my experience Germans have been doing the exact opposite and getting heavier weapons. Lot of the good weapon builders from there (Rustzeug, Goldhammer, Silberwald rip) have been using weapons with extra weight in the core or haft.

From the Netherlands like Ballistafag, most good weapons here are essentially the stuff from Germany but a year later so there's that. Not sure where you picked up the rumor but can't understand from personal experience where it's coming from.
>>
>>10799721
Skill is never a part of the metagame: the metagame is a part of skill. Being skilled at something can't not be part of the optimal way of doing said thing.

>>10799728
>most good weapons here are essentially the stuff from Germany but a year later so there's that
Which makes it all the more baffling there's still quite a few people here to whom "German larp weapons" is a dirty concept by default.
>>
>>10799704
Not at all, though I recall seeing a mean going around featuring medieval beekeepers that I'm sure is going to eventually oversaturate the scene as bad as plague doctor masks.

>>10799712
Pics required.
>>
>>10799794
>Skill is never a part of the metagame: the metagame is a part of skill. Being skilled at something can't not be part of the optimal way of doing said thing.
if you would go to more shitty larps you would realize that's not an universal truth
>>
>>10799962
>if you would go to more shitty larps you would realize that's not an universal truth
I like to believe I've already seen my fair share of shitty larps. But yes, I will very much defend this as truth. Barring weird, constructed fringe cases like untrained intuition beating expert knowledge (which I read has sometimes helped in identifying fake art). In pretty much all other cases, I'd argue that being able do something in the optimal way IS skill. If knowing HEMA makes you worse at larp fighting, you're not skilled and unsuccessful: you're just not skilled at larp fighting.

What would even be a use case in which being unskilled is part of the optimal way of doing something in a larp? Like some kind of system that gives a handicap to skilled players greater than the benefit of skill?
>>
>>10799993
>Like some kind of system that gives a handicap to skilled players greater than the benefit of skill?
For the sake of argument, imageine a aarp, which is by no means resembles any existing larp and if it does that's just a strange random happenstance, totally. So imagine a larp, usual shitty larp, may or may not placed in the US. And imgainge someone who is getting banned from that game, as the official reasoning goes "because he is practicing hema" and that makes him too dangerous to the playerbase (and obviously a nazi too but that's only implied). The guy never even showed up to the game (or even knew about the game) so it was a preemptive ban.
Or so I would imagine if this would happen in some crazy world.
>>
>>10800026
Yeah I figured you were thinking of that entirely hypothetical event. I'll absolutely concede the point that if staff is actively anti-improvement, being shit is probably an advantage at that event. I still stand by my original point, though.

I'll also drop this discussion here. As much as I love to argue them, I figure this is quite enough semantics for one thread.
>>
>>10800026
Holy shit, is this a real thing?
I mean, here where I'm from, everyone is fine with, what, HEMA tournament champions going wherever they want.
>>
>>10800039
in this hypothetical situation, it was mostly used as a made up reason, but still that was the official explanation.

>>10800037
Look it's a game, that has rules and you have to do stuff to win the situation (the fight) choosing tactics for the reason to win it and playing the "system". as long as the rules has this "you have to actually hit the other guy", IRL sword fighting skill is the meta. The moment you don't have to actually hit the other guy in a swordfight because there are enough call out in game skills, or the swordfighting isn't done through swordfgihting but by cards or dice play or something else then IRL sword fighting is not the best meta.
Obviously we disregard archers, backstabbing, gangrape, magic and the like.
Because usually the most meta thing if we aren't on 1v1 is the power of friendship (bring way more people into the fight than the other side)
>>
>>10799993
Honestly hema kinda sucked the fun of most larp fencing.
But that's because my style is snipe hand, stab torso, regular attack to the head.

I've bought a flail to try to dissociate any larp fighting from hema fencing.

>>10800052
The best skill in Larp are social skill, because larp are very social by nature.
>>
>>10800481
hema only sucks out the fun if you do it as a sport not as a skill to make what you are doing look good. Care less about being efficient and more about style
>>
File: FB_IMG_1660954179789.jpg (75 KB, 535x772)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Why is American LARP so cringe, and how do we fix it?
>>
>>10800619
How does American LARP even work? From what I've seen online, most of these are these small weekend events in a nearby park, or something.
>>
>>10800619
Generally speaking, it's a different thing with a different audience.
>>
>>10800619
...we?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1659326106336.jpg (193 KB, 1080x1440)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>10800481
>>10800546
I mean, that's even assuming that your system of choice allows stuff like head shots, and we just had that whole conversation about binding, weight, handle, etc

>>10800619
I'm pretty sure that that's picture of a battle game that you're posting, but the point was still stand: through the slow and agonizing process of demonstrative improvement. Show up to events dressed as best as possible and help people better their kit. Show them that it can be done without dropping thousands of dollars or being "elitist" over level bush and excuse they give you that day.

>>10800742
A lot of what people classifies LARP are actually just foam battle games, which don't have complex character plots, story arcs, etc. It's foam sword tag, sometimes with a fluffed out scenario.

>>10800786
Guilt by association.
>>
>>10800841
What's the banner thing in your pic?
>>
>>10800986
Thats a Meyer square for practicing sword cuts and blocks in HEMA.
>>
>>10801002
also known as the first step to became the katana guy of hema
>>
>>10800619
never understood why they used giant foam dildos, rather then normal larp weapons
>>
>>10800986
Both >>10801002 and >>10801027 are correct answers. Various historic fencing systems use alphanumeric diagrams to practice cuts, and their corresponding blocks and parries. Very common especially amongst longsword users, who as mentioned, our katana nerds with puffy pants instead of kimonos.

>>10801064
"Pad the weapon, not the fighter" is the often quoted line, but it's to avoid injury and potential lawsuits amongst the otherwise typically physically inactive participants.
>>
>>10800841
Well in my larp, nearly all of what i've cited is forbiden. hand is not a valid and is discouraged, stab is a big no, as any head hit as nobody have helmet.

Problem, it's nearly ALL we do in our club. that, and fleching at eachother or wresting, two things that don't export to well in larp.

>>10800546
Maybe you misinterpreted me.
On hema sparring, I can do nearly all the action I want, at maximum intensity and have minimal concern about hurting the other guy, as we only spar with secure weapons and competition level protection.

Or rather use gonow simulator and head/glove protections. the intensity stay high, but safer simulator mean less protection necessary.

On larp sparring, I'm mainly concerned about not hurting the opponent, and I won't risk making any really explosive move. And so I don't have much fun.

Lately I've tried to go for a more ranged role to avoid that.

>>10801113
I've never really got the point of those.
Maybe because i'm not in meyer, or even german sources, but the main point of our training is to do everything with a partner, action done in a vaccum of context should then be minimal.

>>10801113
>>10801064
Now that MSF and Gonow exist, I don't understand why didn't they just... well use those and protect themselves a bit, if the objective is just to wack eachoter.
>>
File: possible oof.jpg (38 KB, 660x660)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Is there any place where one could find historical-ish patterns to make foam armor?
Also if I use picrel as weapon cores am I going to kill someone, or is it safe if encased in foam? Wooden dowels broke, fiber ones are nearly impossible to find over here.

Noodle swords with hoodies are the standard here in poorfagland, trying to do something about it.
>>
>>10801209
have you tried learning more control? try to spar with steel swords with minimal or no protection

>I've never really got the point of those.
The Meyer square is heavily overhyped by autists. It's a good tool for one specific training but after that it gets more and more meaningless if you actually learning stuff and not just copy. But some people pretends it has a deeper secret or some shit.

>Now that MSF and Gonow exist, I don't understand why didn't they just... well use those and protect themselves a bit, if the objective is just to wack eachoter
because every people seek different things even from fighting not just from larp in general. Not everyone wants to go full force, zero thinking.

>>10801236
probably you won't kill anyone but it will be very unsafe and injuries would happen. Wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>10801236
You are going to kill someone.
>>
>because every people seek different things even from fighting not just from larp in general. Not everyone wants to go full force, zero thinking.
One does not block from the other. You don't have to go hard just because you are secure. it's just like taking a helmet to use a bike or not.
You will be, and feel safer, but that's not a reason to look for the bigest wall to test it.
And I don't understand why not using it, except for cost, as much as I don't understand not using a helmet to go biking when one is available.
I'm not saying they should forego larp and go do behurt lite, just use the stuff avalaible that is... well, produced with a quality rating and more studier and safer (and, in US larp case, not much more uglier), and having less to worry about the crafmanship and control of your opponent. That in no way stop you from doing the larp thing afterward.

>>10801236
get a carbon rod if glassfiber are hard to find, there is no use in wasting lots of time on such unsafe and substandard material.
wood+PVC if no option are avalaible. I'll get you a go-now core picture, those things are unbreakable.
>>
File: gonow.png (433 KB, 535x366)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
>>10801243
>have you tried learning more control? try to spar with steel swords with minimal or no protection

We don't do that much. In fact we did forbid the "sparring without appropriate protection for the simulator.
And remove one instructor doing that, because with him his sparring and teaching style was "slow and controlled until I feel like I lose and then I speed up". The injury in his class were quite above the rest of the club, among other problems, and he was pushing our newcomers out.

I generally felt that sparring with minimal protection, thrusting only control is either gonna stop you from doing most of the stuff that would work because it risk working and hurting your mate, or be a psychopath and just do it, and there is little to gain.

We did kick the psychopath, bought 1,3kg sword that flex at 6kilos and loaning gear for the new ones.

Usually when we for a reason or another we use less protection, we use safer simulators permitting a same hugh intensity.
Or forego sparring for something with less opposition, like cooperative drill and such.

And honestly...
Well, I prefer the peace of mind I have that I will not risk to hurt myself or my opponent as long as I don't get excessively brutal.

I can and I've done controlled sparring, but found it way less enjoyable.
I've been in a workshop were we were supposed to train stabbing action. but often my partner had no gorget, no plastron, and one had no mask. So I was limited to do half assed attempt that had neither tempo or proper distance, thus voiding also the value of the defensive action against and had to wait for someone protected to "really" do the attack.

>>10800546

And that's what I felt when I said '"it ruined larp fencing for me." I feel really limited in what I should do, and I will usually be focused at "not hurting in any way the opponent" to have a lot of fun. I hope the flail original moveset and inherent "safeness" will change that.
>>
>>10801209
To build on Hungarian in >>10801243, the Meyer square like all cutting diagrams throughout history, is an excellent tool for what it's for. The problem is that like a lot of stuff, nerds take it too far without actually understanding its purpose.

The use of such tools is to train muscle memory and transitional fluidity. Typically, one would see a second individual involved in the practice (typically a senior student or instructor), calling out random alphanumeric combinations at varied speeds and tempos for an individual or group of individuals to drill, avoiding rote repetition and forcing the practitioner to consider how to transition from blow to guard to blow etc. Pic related.

Modernly were it fails are people that treat it like the end all be all training tool or some obscure esoteric code that will instantly unlock you to be the best sword dude ever. It is literally the one to one like Eastern martial artists who think that if they practice their kata over and over again that they will eventually shoot fireballs or some shit.
>>
>>10801301
And a 19thC cutlass/hanger diagram
>>
File: glove.jpg (1.5 MB, 4424x2048)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>10787705
i lost my larp folder, where i had a lot of shit in it (resources, pictures, dyi stuff tutorial, etc) and now i stuck at one of the easiest task ever.

I bought some 7€ leather gloves from ebay which i want to turn into some ranger looking kind one. my question, before i gonna ruin them entirely, if i cut some fingers off, do i have to/should i sew the edges from the finger, since it two layered?
>>
>>10801298
consider this: most of the time in ye olden day people had way less protective equipment than we do. And yet they learned to fight, figured out they codexes that we learn from and then got into real fights with sharps where said techniques should be used *

Also I'm a firm believer that full force all protection, and lots of control no protection both have their place in training, plus everything inbetween. Suddenly when you have zero protection you move entirely different and the other guy too. And I'm not talking about just of the first few times when it's new and uncomfortable. Among other things it gives you a controlled environment with non cooperative opponents and a shitton of techniques should work in that too.

Though obviously it's something that you have to train so should be done with just random people, etc, etc.
*this is debatable and pretty much depends on context but let's not go into that rabbit hole now
>>
>>10801301
>>10801302
Once again /LARPthread/ is a better HEMA discussion than the /HEMAthread/ on /asp/.
>>
>>10801326
you mean /xs/ but yeah, those are full with different kind of autists
>>
>>10801327
I didn't even know /xs/ existed. I gave up on talking HEMA on 4chan back when it was still on/asp/. Is it still shit?
>>
>>10801322
* is a rabbit hole.
I would counter with a ancient text, with someone lamenting that people were training with wooden swords and stuff that he didn't liked that was "not like real fighting", and another guy told him that even if it's different at least they were able to practice a lot with full intent.
And we got heroglyph with egyptian fencing with stick.
This conversation has been arround since fencing existed, I guess.

To be honest, I do have a gripe with slow sparring. people make assumption, that doesn't work in normal sparring (I would call normal situation where you can land a hit on the opposent without a second thought, so protection or safe weapon).
We had a workshop with a instructor which was teaching us, on a low protection setting, how to... evade a first strike by just moving sideway.
That shouldn't work at all in a normal situation, you can't have your leg, and upper torso being faster than a arm swipe.
At the end we tried it with our foam sword and it never worked.
But it worked on that situation, and slow sparring with them I felt like a jedi, as the arms and sword moved slowly while my leg were normal, I could evade, making a lot of action irrelevant, or on the contrary, possible.
And I feel like there is a lot of false imput beginners had, doing that, that need to be erased to understand normal sparring.

>video
I see a lot of fullen, and a nice counter to a wrestling attempt.
But what bother me is why I am seeing that, and what i'm not seeing and why.
Why do I see the fullen play at the beginning, its because they can't just direct attack with decent intend, it's dangerous if successful. can't either attack on preparation, feint then direct attack, so by default it will be fullen to advantageous bind or wrest.
I mean, Red engage the fight with a attack that is out of range, while barely moving forward. It's... well, nearly cooperative, it that regard.
I strongly prefer being able to attack and parry in sparring.
>>
File: qsgzycSO0g1rjkl6p.webm (899 KB, 640x360)
899 KB
899 KB WEBM
>>10801343
as to what you don't see etc.
It's a free play with steel without protection, obviously it will be slower, and most of the high risk high gain stuff won't be there (high risk in this context, because you can't stop it in time or get a double which really is bad form regardless of situation) So way more feints and inviting the other guy to come in and make a "mistake" and working from a bind. That is as long as you really want to protect your opponent because it's hard to find a good fencing partner.

What I find this kind of stuff really good for is that you have to put way more attention on what the other guy can do and what can you do. Yes it's slower but trains a different aspect of fencing. Also you have to choose different targets too, not just the usual head stuff, need to modify your attacks to either have enough control to stop it beforehand or do it on the shoulders / etc. Again, this isn't an end all stuff, this is just yet another thing that can be trained and have it's ups and downs and in my opinion can be the closest to larp fighting in a sense that it's slower and you have to choose the target areas.

But if you still want to go higher intent I recommend playing around with wooden stuff, I'm partial to one handed weapons so my preferred option is a dussack in that regard, a simple head protection is enough but even without it it's doable too (but then again it will slow down the stuff and you became a little bit more careful)
>>
>>10801326
Because the people who practice here are into for fun and history. The people who practice it in /asp/ergers are "srsbsns" edgelords.
>>
>>10801348
>But if you still want to go higher intent I recommend playing around with wooden stuff, I'm partial to one handed weapons so my preferred option is a dussack in that regard, a simple head protection is enough but even without it it's doable too (but then again it will slow down the stuff and you became a little bit more careful)

Heh, dussack was fun. we had some leather covered, light one, pict related. And wood only heavy ones that hurted quite a lot.
But now we got our gonow saber, and then 700g saber to play with, so we saw little use for them.
we sold the good leather and wood dussacks, I think, and the wooden one... I think we storied then forgot about them.

I lost my web-m converter, so here is a old video when people were discovering the go-now.
Seem that if you are stupid ennough you can still get bonked with it. https://youtu.be/QDymI9-0PZo

>>10801359
>>10801326
Last time i've checked, it was edgelord land, with conversations devoid of any value. It seem the decent ones kinda went to the international discord long ago.
>>
>>10801320
Probably sew them, lost some double-layered biker gloves not doing that. At first it was fine, then the layers started separating more and more and it all became a frayed flopping mess.

>>10801291
>>10801298
Huh, that is a curious core. Was trying to avoid PVC to make the designs more slender and realistically proportioned, but I wonder if that would take well to heat shaping the pipe, or if using wood backed by more resistant tape or leather to avoid breakage would do.
>>
File: the-larp-store.png (133 KB, 478x174)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
Looking to buy some stuff online, but everyone seems to be out of stock for the next 3-6 months.

I did find one supplier, but I can't find any reviews. Has anyone purchased anything from The-Larp-Store?
>>
File: IMG_20190711_160745_2.jpg (1.25 MB, 2302x1729)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
>>10801436
We use wooden dussacks, with a piece of rope on the edge and leather covered. Gives you a way better weight distribution and has a way more choppy feel. Also, if you make the rope a little overextend and whatnot then it's perfectly stabsafe
>>
>>10801243
>>10801244
Nta but is it actually possible to make safe foam weapons with a metal core? I miss the weight and am also thinking about curved swords.
>>
>>10802113
No. If you want weight do what fakesteel does- lead pommel and steel tube handle.
>>
>>10801843
I would recommend buy stuff on Etsy, from shop such as Armstreet cause they have ton of review
>>
So how do y'all catch the right vibe to play your character?

I have a very fleshed out character for an upcoming Elder Scrolls LARP but I just can't seem to get the right kind of voice tone, body language etc to him. How should one go about this?
>>
>>10802472
>>10802472
>not going full oblivion npc animations, canned and stilted dialogue, and repetitive combat noises
pretty gay desu

In all seriousness, the best way to find some of those things is as you play them. You should definitely have some of your choices planned, but keeping some of it improvised can lead to good character. Although in regards to tone, finding a character from a game/movie or something with the voice you want, and listening to a compilation of their lines can be very useful. To do a German accent, I literally just listened to TF2 Medic lines, and people still rave about my accent to this day (although these were also people who had never met a Kraut but still)
>>
>>10802472
Just so I understand right: is your question "how do I discover which mannerisms I want my character to have?" or "I've chosen these mannerisms for my character, how do I consistently keep them up?"
>>
>>10802672
Been trying to do that, just lacking any good sources thus far! If you have any "Veteran-ish/Monk-ish vibe skilled fighters in their 30's-40's" characters for good inspo, send them my way!

>>10802943
The former!
>>
>>10799885
Sorry, didn't get any pics in the hat this time. LARPing as a peasant in a WHFB setting was pretty fun, though.
>>
>>10802290
Armstreet in the past few years has been extremely hit or miss. It's pretty much accepted that you only buy from them in person now, because the quality of their product is either perfection, or objectively garbage, and takes months to get it replaced.

>>10802472
The same way that you do NPCs for tabletop games. Make a basic character map.

>Who are they in their world
>Where are they from
>What are three goals in life:, immediate, short-term, long-term.
>Important figures in their life, personal, positive, negative
>Virtue vice
Extra
>Hidden agenda/secret

Example: Byron Buyantrader
>Who are they in their world
Import/export merchant of the monied middle class
>Where are they from
The city of Plotsburg
>What are three goals in life:
immediate, higher PCs as bodyguards
short-term, Make it home with most of his product
long-term, eventually fund his own ship
>Important figures in their life,
personal, his wife back home
positive, NPC A who is from the same city
negative, NPC B who is suspicious of his goods
>Virtue/vice
Diligence (business practices)/envy (the nobility)
Extra
>Hidden agenda/secret
Some of the products he trades in are a bit more illicit, possibly even illegal or heretical.

>>10802962
I do hate when that happens. I could only imagine how much more often I would spam y'all if someone was taking pictures at our games.
>>
>>10803072
Our little village was attacked by someone every couple of hours, so there wasn't much time to take pics, sorry.
>>
>>10802472
hey, will your larp be located in the country of frog, near the frontier with the kraut ?
>>
>>10801843
Depends what you're looking for? For a lot of things I wouldn't actually advise going to a store catering to LARPers.
>>
Wait, holy shit there's a Drachenfest US now? I'm going next year, hell yeah. Anything to get away from the dicksword and blackface bullshit everywhere else.
Now I need to put together a kit. I'm thinking sallet/bevor. Or maybe a kettlehelm. Some sort of dick-ass bandit. I've got a year to figure it out.
>>
>>10801438
could be more appropriate to a polearm than a thin blade, yes.
>>
>>10803510
Do it. And be aware that armor points don't apply to spell orbs, arrows, or hits to unarmored flesh.
>>
>>10803598
I'll go over the rulebook for sure. Going to try to get my buddy to tag along. I know he'll want to be a dwarf.
>>
>>10803510
You’ve got an entire year to join silver camp! You could be the first person to wear a kettle hat or the second to wear a bevor. Unfortunately you can’t be a dick ass thief in silver camp… because we’re all above the law! Now join me in the aristocracy and let’s hop out of the shrubbery and “collect taxes” from people.
>>
>>10803663
That sounds pretty appealing. I have a full year to get a kit put together. For the first time in my life, I have some amount of disposable income. There's no reason I can't get something decent assembled.
>>
>>10803809
>>10803663
Or join blue, we have more helmets and they're fancier- as are our hats. Silver is drab and boring.
>>
File: 1568322292657.png (152 KB, 231x302)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>10803855
Hmm, perhaps. I'm still trying to get a read on the different camps and their aesthetic. From what I can tell:

>Red - WAAAAAAGH
>Green - hippies and elves
>Shadow - 2spooky skeletons
>Silver - paladins and do-gooders
>Blue - sellswords and thieves

Am I close?
>>
>>10803855
Silver has fancy hats in our hearts jauntily tipped to the side.

>>10803979
I don’t want to say that blue camp are terrorists responsible for 9/11. I won’t make that claim. But I’ll imply it heavily.

I’ve heard rumors that they send their mentally retarded members out on suicide missions to die

Silver camp had so little people that it was an eclectic mess of people. We had a dwarf, a druid, and of course, a bunch of knights.
>>
>>10803979
>>10803994
Blue has literally everything from the most heavily armored knights at the festival, to a Greek pirate with a robe, sandals, and bow, to Vikings, and everything in between. The only unifying factor is being better looking than everyone else.

We do send our idiot on suicide missions, but only because it's funny.

Silver isn't even real, there is no evidence of a 'silver camp', it's just reds and greens doing a false flag.

But really:
>Blue: in it for a good time and the competition, everything from hardcore fighters to whimsical pretty wizards. Throws parties. Actually keeps agreements, mostly to spite the greens
>Shadow: ambition, power, regality, wears black. Lots of subterfuge and magic. Actually entirely brave and honorable.
>Silver
>Red: warrior types. Less knights (they had one) more barbarians. Agressive, less armor than blue, scared of shirts, actually trains and drills
>Also scared of blue randomly turning up to ruin everything and take their banner for fun
>Green treeeees! Barbarians, weird woods people, animals and were things. Doesn't keep agreements, likes getting in fights with blue, lots of magic, small core of fighters.
>>
>>10804028
it is really a clown world when there is a reality where blue camp looks good
>>
>>10803855
>blue has more helmets than silver
Truly the worst timeline

>>10803979
I'm still not over the fact that Americans decided the colour black is somehow insensitive and had to be changed to shadow
>>
French Kepis seem to be a circle with a sidewall, a very simplistic design. Anybody know how large the tops are? Trying to sew one up for myself.
>>
>>10804057
>I'm still not over the fact that Americans decided the colour black is somehow insensitive and had to be changed to shadow

Dude, I know. It's fucking absurd. I'm blown away by some of the retarded social sensibilities here in the states.
>>
>>10804044
>>10804057
It also ended up being less disorganized/disunited than other camps, despite my actively choosing NOT to come up with any actual structure or organization beyond "if I'm drunk or dead these two are in charge, everything else we'll do town hall style unless I don't feel like listening"

Americans thrive when left alone, apparently
>>
>>10804057
The real travesty is not having enough heads to put helmets on. We’ll see if I can’t recruit more people for silver camp and then outfit everyone with armor. I have no life and too much disposable income

>>10804129
Screw you! 20 minutes before we left for the final battle I tried to get everyone in silver to just get in a line so we knew how we were gonna fight and they all looked up at me and then went back to what they were doing. To be fair I was just some asshole yelling at them to do things
>>
>>10804170
Yeah I actively refused to actually organize a line for blue/shadow. Felt it was pointless given how little we knew about the fight, the inevitable gangbang, and the high proportion of good fighters who could actually fucking move. Figured I could trust the people who kept winning fights to do it again.

Goddamn artillery fucked us, kept people from wanting to move, that shit isn't coming next time. Useless.
>>
>>10804208
You guys got put in the worst spot and had everyone else against you. Red and green just had too many healers and wore you down. There was one moment I watched you guys break the red side and if you made it to their healers they would have been done. But then green would have swarmed shadow.

The only way artillery could have been useful to you guys was way in the back like red’s ballista. But that would have meant not being at the bottom of a hill and starting out not boxed in.
>>
>>10804380
The artillery fucked us because people got it in their heads that defending it was important. I actually called for the line to follow me and went to wrap and break red early on, but the artillery on the flank told people to stay with them, so half my fucking line wasn't moving. Had the party just stood there ground and died slow there was a real chance of us taking the red avatar in the first 20 minutes, but splitting in half? Even faster loss and not a tame worth telling, so I just fought the defensive action as best I could until I couldn't see anyone else alive, then got by an entire line with my avatar a foot behind me.

Not the worst outcome honestly.
>>
File: Hidden phyrexia symbol.jpg (605 KB, 2976x3968)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>10797456
>>10797459
>>10798791
>Wool cloaks

I bought a cloak pin at a viking market while I was in scandinavia, I don't LARP, but I do like to dress up a bit whenever I DM for my friends. And a nice, big ass cloak is essential for getting into character. It also looks bang-on when pinned propper.

How would I go about acquiring a cloak for it? do I just buy a big wool blanket, or a normal LARP cloak without a hood? I want to pair it with a hood later.
>>
>>10804653
You can buy a blanket or hit up Etsy for a cloak. Dk t worry about it if it has a good if you otherwise like it- you can always cut it off, or just tuck it down into the cloak so it's not visible.
>>
File: HedebyHood.jpg (139 KB, 1024x892)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>10804653
If you want to stylize it with a fibula like you do, I'd say just get a good blanket made of wool, or just some good fabric like a nice (stamped) silk and line it.

If you want to add a hood just get a gugel later on.
>>
>>10804653
>>10804799

>buy a blanket
Seems like the easiest option too, I'll be on the lookout for one
>gugel
Ooooh, so that is what they are called, I'll note that

Cheers lads!
>>
>>10804716
Goddamn it, I meant to reply to you, see above please
>>
I saw a lot of shields with a modular, removable canvas cover.
Is there a tutorial somewhere for making such cover, and fixing device on the shield ?
>>
File: gugel.jpg (482 KB, 1701x2500)
482 KB
482 KB JPG
>>10804799
Not >>10804653 but if i decide to get a gugel and add a blanket later on, would it matter if they different colours? I know the question sounds retarded, but i have a brown tunic, which i wanted to add a green cloak to it. but i saw this gugel and i think about getting this in light gray, while adding a green blanket cloak to it
>>
>>10804852
>if i decide to get a gugel and add a blanket later on, would it matter if they different colours
Same anon asking the question with the pin. I am trying to copy some traditional Viking clothes, and they used to mix and match colors all the time. Cloaks, gugels, shirts didn't matter. Doubt it would look out of place.

Something like this pic I think looks good. A harsh light to dark, or dark to light transition would probably look nice if you primarily wear earthy brows/yellows. Granted, I am a graphic designer, not a character designer, so I couldn't tell you for squat if there is some actual theory behind it. But I think the transition looks pretty bang-on.

The only thing I would add (if you care about a little realism) is that not all colors were equally common in the 900 to 1500. Earthy yellows, reds and browns were the most common as they were made from plants and clay. While blue and especially purple were exceedingly rare.
>>
File: CotSColourPalette.jpg (464 KB, 2048x1365)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>10804901
Bang on the buck about colours, there's a wide range of really colourful attire you can use to eye "I swear it's period" without immediately having to reach for the natural dye-it-yourself deal of work. Pic related.

>>10804852
I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Although if you want to make your own clothing I swear early viking period is the easiest to start outside of bronze age or early western Roman. And it teaches you a lot of very useful techniques like beginner's pleating, etc.

The search term for those gugels/hoods is Skjoldehamn Hood. Since that's where it's found, and there's a million patterns and tutorials out there if you'd like. So if you'd need you could always make it to match. Since it would be a good look if you ask me.
>>
>>10805184
Oooh, all of them look pretty
>>
Need some suggestions /LARPthread/: I have been approached about organizing some stuff for a possible, upcoming maritime history event in 2023

Aside from the obvious of graded interpretive displays and encampments, the question of other competitions has been raised, after knowing of my fencing and single stick background. Obviously, insurance and discussions with the LLC's lawyers will be required, but the idea of having HEMA and practical maritime skill competitions is on the table and something they actively would like to help set them apart from other pre-existing events.

So far the ideas that I have are:

*Open fencing, probably double elimination using SCA standard rules

*Open single stick competition again, probably double elimination

*Thrown line and knot tying

*Timed cannon and swivel gun loading, with judges grading on speed and safety. For safety reasons, will probably not be a live round, and the firing demonstration will be separate from this competition.

*Tug of war

*And for grins and giggles, ship biscuit tossing

What else does the hive mind have to suggest?
>>
>>10805761
Sounds kino. How about sea shanty singing?
>>
>>10805821
A little difficult to objectively judge, and I feel like it would have to have a lot of parameters to take into account historic accuracy, number of people, instruments, etc.

I'll still float the idea though.
>>
Who makes good quality, functional 18th century men's wear?
I'm after longhunter clothing that I can actually use while out camping and muzzleloader hunting.
>>
>>10806405
That really depends on what you're looking for, what you're using it for, and how much you're willing to spend.

So before anything, let's address the "longhunter" part of this, because at this point, the "longhunter look" is 100% reenactorist meme, on par with renfest pirates and vikaboos. If you want to do the whole buckskinner thing, that's fine, you do you, but you're going to be looking in a very different direction than what I would suggest.

If you're just looking to do introductory, 18th century camping, Townsend isn't terrible if you know what you're getting. I can even make suggestions if you want to go down that route. He is the 18th century equivalent of Walmart, and that's not necessarily a terrible thing.

The next step from there would be Samson historical, who do carry a higher quality of product, but the owner's son actually came here and had a meltdown because we were laughing at him defending the myth of Irish slavery on their business page. Shit was hilarious, but not sure if that will turn you off to them.

One of the best options honestly, is joining the various Facebook trade groups and buying used or custom pieces, which can actually be much cheaper and much better quality than both of the above.

I hunt black powder both large and small game myself, and a professionally work in 18th century clothing everyday. If you got questions, just holler.
>>
>>10806405
I can vouch for Samsons quality as per >>10806456. Best off the rack wool breeches you can get for the money.
>>
>>10805761
Sounds like a really fun idea. Field Gun competitions are very fun and fit well into the maritime tradition. Maybe something goofy as well, like having to try eat a piece of hard tack tied to the ceiling without using hands.

>>10806456
Didn't know about the Samson thing, that's objectively hilarious. Imagine getting mad at anons on a Sea People Recreation Forum. I'm actually quite happy that there seems to be such a strong accurate 18th C scene in the states, as a euro it gives some hope that a general lean towards actually nice kit might occur at some point.
>>
>>10806456
So I'm not trying for diehard accuracy because I don't reenact. This would mostly be for my own autism and occasionally wearing out somewhere for fun. That said I do intend on actually putting in some serious time in the woods with the gear hence I want it to actually be warm and functional. I already hunt quite a bit but I'm new to blackpowder. Do you think Traditions rifles are good for beginners?

I havent been on facebook in years, ugh, it might be worth it for the gear. I can usually ignore somebody whining from their soapbox if they're gonna give me a good product but that's just funny. I'll check em out. Thanks anon.
>>
>>10806542
Traditions guns are absolute crap, and not worth the money outside of the novelty factor of their pistol kits. Don't even waste your money. There's a reason they're so God damn cheap and all you do is put yourself several g's in the hole.

If you want a budget musket or Fowler, veteran arms and loyalist arms have Indian made weapons, but they're actually pretty decent. If you're willing to save the money, get a Pedersoli.

Where you local to? Turkey and deer are right around the corner for us here in Virginia.
>>
>>10806558
That's what I figured. I was looking at pedersolis but didn't want to commit that much just starting BP shooting but maybe I'll reconsider, I'll check out the other brands too. Thanks again.

Ontario. Muzzle-loaders falls under the same regs and season as archery for whitetail, which would still open up an extra tag for me because I don't mess with bows outside of some backyard target shooting. I have a hard enough time getting turkey with my shotgun, it'll be a while before I try to get one with a flintlock. Both of em open up here pretty soon too so if I'm probably looking at next year's Muzzle-loader season.
I got made fun of on /out/ because last year I did my hunting season in a greatest generation LARP using all post war 1950s/1960s Era gear.
>>
>>10806538
That lean already started, it's just a very slow spread. It also won't quite go the same way- given ten years I expect to see a lot of authenticity, but not accuracy, if you take my meaning.
>>
File: PXL_20220914_010456285.jpg (3.16 MB, 4032x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
>>10806563
>I got made fun of on /out/ because last year I did my hunting season in a greatest generation LARP using all post war 1950s/1960s Era gear.

The reason why is kind of obvious, bro. The living history/larp thread does fine when you're you're not just dressed like grandpa.

That said, I'm going to start a new thread in a little bit. Talking about this here got me in the mood for seasonal prep.
>>
>>10806886
How is this LARP?
>>
Imagine Middle-Earth Larp for 30 players.
What's the premise for the story?
>>
File: gondor.jpg (156 KB, 1080x1350)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>10807439
The players are all soldiers of Gondor, either regular foot soldiers or rangers, and are tasked to track down and kill an orc commander. It's set over 3 days, constant time in, and involves following tracks, fighting orcs and a lot of walking/running. Basically the three hunters scene. You'd need like 40-50 odd crew to be orcs, probably would want a big monster costume for a troll. Oh, and also set the entire thing OC in the scottish highlands. Players have to carry all their shit except for food and water which they can collect from stop off points on the trek route.

>>10806886
Nice powder horn.

>>10807258
Dressing up in something weird and going off into the woods to play history is close enough. Also it's not like this thread is in danger of suddenly hitting its post limit.
>>
File: witcher larp 2022.jpg (193 KB, 750x499)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>10807509
>Gondor
okay, somehow I feel my people aren't that interested in Third Age Gondor. Court Drama focusing the relations between Numenorean nobles could be something though.
>set over 3 days
Impossible here and now.
>lot of walking, carrying
Controversial at best. I doubt even our core-players will comply to a True Struggle.
>40-50 NPCs
Unfortunately, tis' a sheer pipedream in Finland. We're lucky to get over 20 players to agree on a free weekend months ahead. A trustworthy team of 5 NPC's is a luxury.
Other than that, sure!
I need to convince more people to join the crew. Otherwise can't even dream of inviting a hundred people. Then some backyard woods won't do anymore, got to rent a bigger place with facilities and such.

Basic plan looks like this. I bring together ~30 people (some friends, some recruited online) in an old dance hall near town. We decorate it to look like a tavern or noble hall, fool around in the near woods for 4-5 hours and then spend the afterparty in the cheap shack. Half stay for the night, half go home. Sometimes we even have public transport or an outhouse. I get 10€/player, NPCs got it free if they do what I say. Profits (if any) go to the next project. Larp is NOT a poorfag hobby.
pic rel is me lunging at witchers in a werewolf-costume I made from elk
>>
File: FB_IMG_1663521115718.jpg (145 KB, 1080x1080)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>10807258
I am playing the role (RP) of an 18th century hunter, in real life (LA).

>>10807439
Orc tribes vying for the attention of Sauron and jocking for position in the dark armies. This creates a free form scenario where small groups have reason to interact with each other, whether through politics or violence, as well as gives an out for game staff to actively judiciate the game while in character as they essentially are the judges of the dark lord watching this happen. NPC's can be kept to a minimum this way, because pretty much everyone is a player or staff.

Options for progression:
>War party / tribe vs
Literally what it says on the tin. Two groups fight. Losers join the winner

>Champion versus champion
Same as above, but the stakes are taken by the leaders

>Glory hunt
This one requires NPC participation, but hunting the various beasts of the dark lands to either capture for wealth or kill for glory to show off to Sauron. Tribes can work together or work against each other, or even stab each other in the back

>Political intrigue
Why use force when you can use diplomacy?

>Ritual events
Feasting on burnt meat and drinking foul brews, this is an opportunity for orcs to participate as shamans competing with each other or in other competitions and tests of strength

Just spitballing here. The idea of the individual tribes allows people to have different aesthetics and styles in the form of different clans. I could see the 3 days being split into multiple scenarios. Day one is the ritual event where groups are essentially recruiting members, as well as getting ingame blessings through use of their shamans. Day two could be hunting. Day three the big PVP groups

>>10807509
Thanks, I made it over the summer. Some kid lost a collectible powder horn from the museum's gift shop and it's set around for a few months, so I decided the scrimshaw it, and after I use it this year it's going to go in the auction.
>>
Some month ago i bought a horn from a medival market. It looks nice, but he somehow used his speak 100 skills and made me buy a 0.7l rather then a 0,5l one. At first it looked like a nice idea, but after a while i realised its way to big to carry arround. I think about working a bit on it and making it into a war horn. Any ideas or tips how to do it? I would like to inform myself, before starting to saw shit off and waste my money even more then now
>>
>>10807773
I believe this is the way to do it. https://youtu.be/v7-4eym3B7Q

I need advice on joining story and game aspects together. The problem is that some people like mechanics, gamey parts of larp and some people like me want to just chill out like hobbits.

Experienced players see grand quest/battle as boring because they have played those types of games since the 90's. I suggested we hold an event where there's 20 heroes and 20 orc npcs. Old-timers were not interested, but I think the newbies who like clear instructions would love to see a grand adventure/battle game. I'm not sure, but I continue asking around.

I started hosting larps as a creative and artistic project. I am an artist and I want to tell stories. I wrote, sewed, painted, rented, delegated feast-work, orchestrated afterparty band and anything related to the vision I had. This summer's vision was a success, but now I'm searching a new one for the next year.
I was thinking, why not combine theater and larp? I could better steer the story and control NPCs by giving them lines of speech. I could add music with bt-speakers for the audiovisual experience. I'm not into math or chess, thus involving puzzles is not my stront suit. Feeling the fantasy world, becoming immersed in it is the primary goal. That is at least how I see fun and excitement of the hobby. Escapism and a great story.
>>
>>10807773
>its way to big to carry arround
You fucking pussy, I have a 1.5l horn and it's barely enough. Horns are trash for regular drinking anyways, but they're great for passing it around at a fire.
>>
My local SCA group turned out to be a thinly veiled HEMA group, which is nice and all but I don't like it enough to put in the investment when I'm pretty much explicitly there to get sewing tips.
>>
>>10807773
Buy a commercial brass horn mouthpiece, like for a trumpet or something, cut the very tip off the point, and fit into there.

>>10808386
Stupid question: did you go to a fight practice or did you go to an arts and science meet? Typically, those are two different days of the week.
>>
>>10808398
My local one only has fight practice. Not enough populace for A&S.
>>
>>10808545
Which barony is this? What about the next closest group?
>>
I have a real hankering to play an orc. anyone here been to 'war in the north'?
got any stories or advice?
know if it will keep going for more years?
>>
>>10809171
further: how do you survive going arounf in a latex mask all day?
and how do I make a mask look and fit good? I got a full orchead mask but it's a bit too big around the jaw area
>>
Whats up kings I am working on getting a Warhammer Ogre-type drip but Im struggling with the boots. Ive got the pants, the wide as fuck belt, all the gubbins and now I just need to fabricate a bellyplate and get boots. Anyone know what kind of style this is? Also, any recommendations for an easy metal to work with that doesnt weigh a ton. I was thinking about working with aluminium.
>>
>>10809310
it's some kinda eastern steppe boot.
you might be able to get something similar from norway: sami boots.
>>
>>10808123
So, the best way to create immersion is NOT to literally write exactly what everyone is going to say and do. If you want total control, go write a novel. Instead, give your crew enough background knowledge that they can convincingly respond as their character would to almost anything the players could throw at them. The entire point of RPGs, and larp as a subset of that, is a sense of freedom within the bounds of immersion, otherwise you might as well play a video game or ride one of those story rollercoasters.

>>10809185
Give yourself dedicated face time every few hours to just de-mask and chill in an OC area/ somewhere you won't be disturbed. Other than that, drink loads of water blah blah blah. Getting a good fitting mask often means going custom, there's little you can do to refit one unfortunately, at least as far as I know.

>>10809310
Something I'd recommend is actually making them yourself off some of those boots with the massive soles, giving yourself some extra height to sell the ogre look. Means you can have more ogre looking bits, like the external metal toecaps, without compromising the core boot bit.
>>
>>10809310
Yeah these look like Mongol boots. Could check out Mongolianz dot com for some boots maybe, but there's tons of vendors.
>>
>>10809365
>>10809446
>>10809481
Thanks lads. I think I might just go with buying a cheap pair of shin length boots and tacking metal bits to it for the real scrappy look. My outfit also doubles as just a casual wear for when the local renfest is in town with a tunic so I'll probably buy a nicer pair of boots for that down the line. Appreciate the input!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.