[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 2017-07-27 20.16.23.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
New larp thread, now with 230% more Drachenfest.

Drachenfest soon fellow larpers! Everyone can make the bet: laser sun or schlammageddon?

Previous thread >>10750186
>>
File: tróger_rotte7.png (157 KB, 584x826)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
on a related note. It seems like our new flag will be ready to drachenfest (being a little optimistic) so you can find the hungarian landsknechts with under this one
>>
>>10787705
With a big UK fest coming up in a few weeks, it's likely it's going to land right in the middle of this mass heatwave. Can't wait to be incinerated instantly by 40 degree heat under my layers of armour and wool. Hope Drachenfest avoids a similar fate
>>
>>10787705
I'm going to a post apocalyptic larp to NPC. The organizer asked me to bring my medieval kit and mix it in.

So I'm probably doing plate limbs and helmet, plus gas mask, and plate carrier with rifle plates. It's going to be 95f out. It's been fun, larpthread, remember my stupidity once I'm dead of heatstroke.
>>
>>10787705
Just heard the fucking camp I'm in doesn't allow golems, so currently working on tons of silk kit to make up for my half finished golem plans.

Fucking tribes. Atleast I still got full armour and a wish to kill Germans with sloppy foam sticks.
>>
>>10787714
I rather have 40+ in the shadows than a schlammageddon

>>10787805
I mean, on one hand I understand you, but on the other shouldn't you get informed earlier?
>>
>>10787738
cool. post pics
>>
>>10787895
We talked about it in our initial group concept, but more on the backnote. We just read it up on the forums a short time ago, because by God, why the fuck do Germans want to use outdated forums for everything???

And then found out it's not allowed.
>>
>>10788063
forums are great for long term info keeping. But any self respecting group also has at least a discord server or something for day-to-day shittalking and idea generation.

anyway it's a shit situation so godspeed. We had to recalculate our whole transportation because at wednesday it turned out we wouldn't get the bus we rented, so I know the feel.
>>
Question for the hemafags of larpthread, especially Hungarian and Gropey.

Do you ever buy or design your larp weapons to be like the metal weapons that you train with? Is it worthwhile to do so?
>>
>>10788194
doesn't matter, get a sword that you enjoy using.
larpswords works differently then steel ones and a shitton changes when we calculate different rulesets and lets not even start on what happens when a calimacil meets an ultralight, etc.
I mean you COULD spend your time trying to minmax stuff but at the end of the day being sad with the result or just do fights in a way that you enjoy.

But personally I prefer the Wyvern replica series so far, that's what I like the most in the aspects of handling, safety, durability and looks.
>>
>>10788194
https://fake-steel.myshopify.com/en-world?fbclid=IwAR301W1ZQaPydwTpHomkQ3ukha2lDGu8GKVi2q5q9f6IYKpMWIBhWjZiHV8&shpxid=ea499d3b-db7a-4180-adc8-1f32ef84073e#about
>>10788238
pretty much this. the biggest differences imo is the balance and that boffers dont slide good against each other.
>>
>>10788247
bouncing, and too much flexibility can be a problem too, but really depends on the weapon. And sometimes it isn't balance but just simply the wapon is too light and you no longer can use it like a sword, any binding technique is fucked and being an orangutan/sewing machine crossbreed is much more effective
>>
File: PXL_20220716_205436172.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x3024)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>10788194
As per >>10788088, >>10788194 and >>10788238, it's negligible. While there are some things you can do within certain rule sets, and there are plenty of times that proper technique and conditioning can help you out, it's way too variable and in general not necessary. Most rule sets negate the targeting and physical actions taken in proper fencing and combatives, and the weapons themselves are so much lighter and lack many of the same physical principles that it's really more aesthetics than anything. I have one national tournaments in my chosen weapons forms, but that doesn't mean jack shit if I can't target 30% of a person, and they are drum rolling me with ultralight, lightsaber dickbats where every tippy tap touch is instant death.

That said, for my own enjoyment yeah, I'd try whenever I can. There are also certain things that do work to advantages like actually using your quillions , as well as good point control.

TL:DR, overall there is no advantage, but occasionally it does come through, and should only be done for one's personal enjoyment more than attempting to get advantage.

Pics order related. The only one that's missing is the flexible fencing blade with rubber tip in the same length and curvature as the hanger.
>>
>>10788279
You can bind with even the lightest of ultralight boffers, I do it all the time. Admittedly, I mostly use it to pin them in place for a fraction of a second and then strike off of the bind.
>>
>>10788319
My sword guy autism is super into shit like that pic
>>
>>10788352
only if the other guy wants it (too retarded) and you also have an ultralight. Otherwise it's just way to light with zero blade presence.

If the sword has a flexible core and lots of rubbery padding then there are too much bouncing for meaningful binding.

It's especially shit when totally different swords clash together as every kind of build has different pros and cons and not necesserily balanced AND most of the time doesn't resemble what the portrayed swords pros and cons were.

But on the other hand you can't use advanced techniques anyway as most people don't know shit about about swordfighting so you wont get into a situation where it's needed. Proper legwork and distance control and control in general is enough. Like if you use your whole body you have an extra arms reach basically over the random guys.
>>
>>10788088
Yeah forums can be decent, but at this point I just see no point why each German LARP has to have one like we're 2005 roleplaying cult infested with teenagers.

It's a shitty way to convey information, when it's still 90% in German anyway. But I digress: You managing to get all the stuff you need to the con next Friday?

P.s. At what camp are we going to do the meet this time?
>>
>>10788489
I'm still in pre-larp crafting panic but thankfully I only make for mayself a few accessories, though a whole new cloth for one and a half people.
Probably everything will be ready.

As for where... no idea, it was always rather "lets find each other" game. Just use the secret /tg/ handshake
>>
>>10788319
>doesn't mean jack shit if I can't target 30% of a person, and they are drum rolling me with ultralight, lightsaber dickbats where every tippy tap touch is instant death
Mood
>>
>>10788482
>Only if the other guy wants it
Hard disagree. I routinely force binds against people who absolutely hate it. I e even do e this with fakesteel VS an ultralight. Extremely difficult to do, but the difference in mass essentially dooms the ultralight if you can stop him disengaging with footwork.
>>
>>10788700
that's the too retarded part. You can do basically anything if you have skill and the other guy doesn't that's a nobrainer
>>
>>10788319
>>10788567
I'm afraid to ask but whats a dickbat?
>>
>>10788818
90% of the US larp weapons
>>
>>10788821
The pool-noodle boffer shit has always boggled my mind. How is it possible to retain any semblance of immersion while looking like you're competing in a Takeshi's Castle bonus round?
>>
>>10788837
It generally isn't.
>>
Hello, I need the tallest (in terms of leg coverage, not height) historicalish leather shoes you can recommand, and bonus points if the shop has custom sizing because my feet are inadultishly small and nobody ever carries my side. I get dabbed on by all shoe shops.

Otherwise just nice shoe shops based in Europe, if possible.
>>
>>10788194
Just about the only things I pay consideration to in that regard are safety/comfort (because I like it when people like fighting me), whether a weapon is thrust-safe, or if it has a more secure grip than some hockey tape over kitespar. Anything else is just dressing. You could make some arguments about balance points or blade presence, but it's really not worth considering unless you're a minmaxxing battlegame turbonerd.
Just get one that looks nice and won't take someone's eye out.

>>10788700
I haven't really tried any kind of bindwork in LARP, but in a HEMA/fencing environment, trying to force a bind against someone who doesn't wanna be there just ends with eating a zucken to the face.

>>10788837
It isn't, and it hurts the community in the long run. Immersion is the lifeblood of any larp, and boffers twist any game into just being Amtgard with extra rules.
A personal complaint is that they also make getting new players into the hobby impossible. No one wants to show up to an event and throw a foam tube around; they want to swordfight.
>>
>>10788996
www.historicalitalianshoes.com
The guy can make anything you want if you have the money but it will take a few months
>>
>>10789132
Thank you!
>>
>>10787714

Should be a bit cooler for Empire but that field is its own biome so who the fuck knows
>>
File: IMG_20220719_150350.jpg (97 KB, 727x969)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
meanwhile, flag got ready
>>
>>10789000
>Getting new players into the hobby
Direct qoute from my girlfriend:
>I thought it'd be cool like role models and I was excited
>But then we got there and everything looked really gay
I gave up on my home game, honestly. Are boffers fun?
Yes.
Are they worth the mess of downsides?
No.

>Binds
If you're in a lightest touch game a d the other guy disengages to strike, you just keep pushing and hit him first. Harder games you can just make a snap cut. This with single handers, though, longswords are pure wizardry to me.
>>
Anyone know where good places to get well fitted brigs are in the UK/Europe that don't cost an arm and a leg?

>>10789178
That's the dream, but we'll wait and see. Got to sort all my shit out for E3, lots of mending before then.

>>10788996
Foxblade shoes do good work out of the UK, I've got a pair of their 16th C riding boots and they fit like a glove.

>>10789208
Looks baller.

>>10789424
Aesthetics is 9/10ths of the experience, and boffers always look like shit, it is what it is.
>>
>>10789532
>Anyone know where good places to get well fitted brigs are in the UK/Europe that don't cost an arm and a leg?
a russian guy makes pretty good ones, even with hard plastic inserts for larp (way cheaper) and the ruble is pretty shit right now so it could be cheap... but on the other hand I don't think they ship in the forseable future
>>
>>10789532
If you're a cheapskate you can get an easy fit from Pavel Burkalov, won't save you much. I'd advise Aleksey Perebeynos in all other cases, pretty cheap, price-quality is insane. If Aleksey is full you can always check out with Pavel Burkalov.

>UK
Lmao, nothing that isn't costing you an arm and a leg. Prof smiths there need to make 5x what an Maximimovich needs to make.

Anyway, look up these guys on Facebook and you should find them quite easily.

>>10789606
They fucking better, my helmet should still be coming in for Empires from Russia (the one in Germany, aptly named "epic Empires" because it's better :^)
>>
File: IMG_20220717_160413.jpg (75 KB, 684x912)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
so pre larp crafting I finished two project that was due for years now
First is a bigger sidebag that will hopefully can store all the random shit I always get my hands on
>>
File: IMG_20220721_114239.jpg (71 KB, 684x912)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>10790115
and the other is a new jerkin.

Tomorrow we either depart for drachenfest or commit a hate crime against the guy who rents the bus for us
>>
File: 20220721_160412.jpg (1.36 MB, 3737x2803)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>10787705
Last day of work. Checking assemblies, testing the trigger, experimenting with projectiles and logistics. Nailing the final component in place. She's done.

She's done, lads. There's a million and one things to improve, there's woodstain everywhere, she'll just be firing arrows for now and the odds of the axle lasting through nine days of Drachenfest are slim at best, but she's done. Everything else can come later. Saturday morning we'll be packing her up and driving her to Germany, and she's going to shine all week. Thank fuck that the pallisade master skill also allows you to repair siege weapons, because it'd suck if she got taken out of commission at the first siege I brought her to.

Come to think of it, does anyone know how quickly arrows sell out at Drachenfest? I only have three of them right now so I'll need to stock up a bunch. Like at least a dozen more.

Anyhow, hit me up if you want to get up to any shenanigans that require a siege weapon. You can recognize me by the kettle hat with the grey camp logo on it in combat, and a blue/purple beret outside of it.

In just two days my ballista will be up and running at the Drachenfest. Her trial by fire. This is everything I've worked towards and I'm so goddamn proud, lads.
>>
>>10790307
Looking forward to taking a hit from that to the face
>>
>>10790115
>>10790116
>>10790307
Jesus Christ I am behind my projects. These look amazing, fellas.
>>
thing to keep in mind: boffer just means any kind of larp weapon in most of scandinavia
>>
>>10790652
Another thing to keep in mind: The buffer also is slang for pedophile in a lot of the English speaking world.
>>
>>10790115
>>10790116
Looking on point!
>>
>>10790307
You're with the university kids in grey right? I'll pop down from the tribes if you guys need to make a quick buck sometime, we might have a client who's in the need of one.

Has everybody prepared their /tg/ handshake for the meet?
>>
>>10790759
>You're with the university kids in grey right? I'll pop down from the tribes if you guys need to make a quick buck sometime, we might have a client who's in the need of one.
Yup! We are currently in debt and looking at over two gold of planned expenses so we'll gladly hear your offer, surely nothing can go wrong
>>
paging The Incident.
People are apparently trying to get in touch, go comment on one of the drachenfest US photos of you with an egg or something
>>
>>10790922
I don’t have a Facebook. Tell them to give me awhile and I’ll try to get the one someone made me from high school. You’re lucky I have no life and check these threads frequently
>>
>>10790922
I’m high as fuck
LastSaneSupervillain#5549

That is my discord name give that to them. Put it in public I don’t care. I say bad things and I can’t say them in a public forum and I am high and can’t figure out Facebook
>>
>>10790969
>LastSaneSupervillain#5549
I posted something for you chief, ganbatte
>>
>>10790934
>You're lucky I...
nah, I know my own when I see them. Or wander into camps lying about being a diplomat with them.
>>
>>10791065
Thank you. I’ll dance at your wedding.

>>10791239
Now that we’re not at the game we can all admit that I should have been the autocrat in charge of blue camp and therefor the official diplomat and official everything. So it wasn’t a lie. It was the truth that everyone was too afraid to acknowledge.

Now where can a guy get one of these things. Guidon? Standard? Would I just ask someone making custom banners if they’d make me one of these
>>
>>10791264
I mean, I'm all in favor of NOT being in charge again, and the camp is more or less officially in it for the lulz now so....
>>
>>10790116
Damn this looks good, did you do it by eye or off a pattern?

>>10790307
We all need a video of this masterpiece being fired anon, don't sadden us.
>>
>>10788319
Check your Facebook message requests. I shared some player to you who are interested in your larp.
>>
File: received_2280765508742769.jpg (538 KB, 1488x2000)
538 KB
538 KB JPG
Tried LARPing for the first time this weekend. Had a shitton of fun. Kind of regret that I didn't try it earlier due to being a retarded pussy who did not dare to try something he wanted. Also kicked ass in mellee, but then got really shredded by archers.
>>
>>10787705
That is a great fucking banner
>>
>>10791750
Good to hear, bro! dame shit happened to me 12 years ago.
I too bought a shitty larp cuirass that was so painful to wear I only buy reenactor armour now, haha
>>
>>10791389
New goal next year is to become the spymaster of another camp. The irony will be delicious

>>10791750
I feel your arrow pain. In the final Drachenfest battle I didn’t get hit once with a melee weapon. Every time I was about to make a heroic charge into the enemy line I’d get peppered with arrows
>>
>>10791750
Glad to hear you had a good time anon. Good starter kit as well, creates a really solid aesthetic. I'd have been so lucky to have a decent arming doublet as my first kit.

>>10792049
The main system I play in makes you basically arrow proof as long as you wear metal armour, but I do occasionally still get boromir'd by mass ranks of archers and can pull out the Platoon style shot to shit falling over RP.

>>10791773
Big mood. I remember getting into larp for the fantasy bits, and now I autistically stress over whether my maille is historically accurate enough. Life hits you fast.
>>
>>10792049
>>10792050
This is why I wear head to toe plate, carry a big shield, and do a lot of weighted cardio. Archers are bad people, and I live to run them down and punish them.

>>10792049
Mine is to get revenge for the five or so arrows to the eye I took in a 15 minute fight. Archers in other games have learned that it's best not to shoot at me, need to establish the same reputation at drachenfest so I can fight in peace.
>>
any runequest updates?
>>
File: PXL_20220723_022536271.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x3024)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>10791609
Thanks.

>>10791750
Awesome, glad you had fun. A shield helps with archers.

Now ditch the cowboy boots, John Wayne.

Pic unrelated, from another convonabout grooming at events in character/period.
>>
File: laughing_elf_man.jpg (60 KB, 600x829)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>10794198
>Now ditch the cowboy boots, John Wayne.
>>
>>10791574
free handed most of it as I've done a few already
>>
>>10793296
Just got back from a weekend event, probably no updates for about 3 weeks as I frantically try to not crater out of my real life deadlines.

>>10792056
The few times I decided to just wear greaves rather than my full leg harness this weekend had me Skyrim-guarded pretty much constantly, so I share the sentiment. The point blank knee shot is really annoying when half the opposing force is archers.

>>10794386
Don't suppose you have any patterns lying around? Had a hard time finding any, and I'm looking at making a similar jacket for a Warhammer fantasy game.
>>
>>10794404
have a few patterns I've found through the years but you always have to modify it a lot, so if you don't have any experience in that I don't think it would help
>>
Hey folks, been a while! Got 2 questions:

1) Anyone got any good patterns for Landsknecht hats? Asking for a friend. They didn't specify a specific model so up for anything.
2) Recommendations for vendors for getting a nice pair of leg wraps or two? Not looking for perfect HA especially as this is going into a kit that is more or less a meme and doesn't have much to do with history, but something that I don't have to be outright ashamed of. Trying to stop myself from just getting a set of tablets and doing it myself.
>>
>>10794579
you want something with a little stretch to it. and look up how to wrap on youtube. if you do it wrong they fall off
>>
File: 1390425233579.jpg (111 KB, 800x1362)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>10794579
this is one of the easiest one I have, if you want more complicated ones tell me
>>
>>10794579
Go try to find your local re-enactment store and buy woollen herringbone wraps which have been woven as a strip and not cut from a sheet. You need 100% wool because it has velcro-like properties keeping the wraps from slipping. You need the herringbone woven in a strip to get the stretch which makes the wraps fit tightly around your non-rectangular leg. also, make sure they are long enough. You need at least 4 meters or more if you are a "prosperous gentleman" like me. If you buy your wraps too short they won't reach over your calf and slip down and be useless.

This is one of these items where only the high-quality stuff is worth buying. Don't buy them from larp-stores because they simply won't work.
>>
>>10794784
Hit me with something more complicated, friend's opinion was "needs more flair". He has a gf who can sew pretty well/advise him so I don't think skills are a huge issue.

>>10794783
>>10794786
Thanks for the tips! I was looking for specific suggestions if anyone has a good experience with someone on Etsy or some such. I did forget to mention that I'm based in Europe, so EU preferred. There's a few local weavers here but commissioning from them feels a little bit awkward as they strive for 100% HA and I'm not too fussed about details like whether the wool is actually dyed with HA dyes and whatnot. My budget isn't quite infinite so not too keen on paying 100€/pair

>>10794786
Do you actually have re-enactment stores where you live? The closest thing I could come up with here is some of the museums which have shockingly good gift shops, as well as a few traditional handicraft shops, but I've never seen leg wraps specifically for sale.
>>
>>10794800
They do exist, especially on the internet, but they suck at marketing so it's generally a case of being lucky enough to find them. My best advice is to look if an open air museum near you has an event with traders and to visit it to collect business cards... or just buy the damn things.

In the Netherlands classicfabrics (dot nl) sells hand dyed machine woven leg wraps for 62,50 per set of 2 times 4 meter. Maybe the prices are different in other countries but I wouldn't know.

This is a case where going for Historical Authenticity is essential, simply because historically people did things that worked and you can't take shortcuts with an item of clothing that is so dependent on the type of material used. The one budget option is to go for undyed leg wraps which are somewhat cheaper.
>>
>>10794579
>>10794800
If you're EU based, I recommend Perkele Viking store for legwraps. Very decently priced, and can stand up to a battering. Hit the nice inbetween of being 100% wool, without being fully HA with weave etc.

>>10794784
I second getting more patterns, love seeing this stuff as it gives me ideas for future characters.
>>
odd question, but anyone have any patterns for something like the Honor belts of the Riders from Six ages: ride like the wind?
>>
>>10794817
Surely the dye used does not affect how well the wraps stay up? That's the main thing I was commenting on in my previous comment - the makers I know local to me use hand spun wool dyed with HA plant dyes, and I find it quite hard to believe that chemical dyeing would somehow affect the texture of the wool significantly enough as to cause slippage. Thanks for the shop suggestion though!

>>10794820
And thanks for this suggestion as well!
>>
>>10794858
the colouring shouldnt matter.
also, get yourself some hooks or mini-fibulae for further stability
>>
>>10794858
The dye doesn't. The weave does. Herringbone has a bit of stretch in it which plainweave doesn't. That lack means they can't be bound as tightly. If you could find chemically dyed herringbone wraps which are woven as a strip and not cut from a cloth that would work as well but I don't know of any.

So yeah, machine spun is fine as long as it is herringbone pattern. Which is also why these things are 60 euro and not 100+

Most cheaper options however are either plainweave, not wool, cut from a cloth or a combination of those and these are what gives leg wraps a bad reputation for falling off easily amongst larpers.
>>
>>10794861
larpers also often dont check how you are supposed to do it. the technique is SO important https://youtu.be/fzHLQ7ILBKQ
>>
>>10794800
>good experience with someone on Etsy
I got gifted a pair from SlavMedievalShop that I have no complaints about. Came with the little hooks too.
>>
>>10795124
God bless crafting slavs and their low prices
>>
>>10794198
Didn't want to use a shield for aesthetic purpose, as well as the fact that I find it way more fun to fight with a longsword. Dodging and trying to deflect arrows may be hard, but man is it satisfying to actually pull it off and chase after the archer. And yeah, as much of an amiriboo I am, I will change the boots eventually, at least until the next summer. Will try a different costume though, as my character has died this year and I don't have any more fantasy LARPs where I am at
>>
is it just me, or this US DF looks a budget version of the original one?
>>
File: 20220804_112648.jpg (15 KB, 217x170)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>10795646
Damn, the girth of that lad>>10795646
>>
any euros know where I van buy a pair of rams horns? I need to , somehow, attach them to a hat
>>
>>10795646
that's because it is?

Honestly I hate the "professional" touch in all those pictures. I want clean crisp pictures of an event. Not some 2014 video game bloom and gloom nonsense that you could get the same effect by laying your nuts on the camera lens.

unfortunately america seems to be lacking in any great larps. We're all too fragmented. My local "factions" haven't had an update since 2013
>>
>>10794868
Proper way to do it is to start at the upper calf and end at the toes
https://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/clothing.htm#men
>>
>>10795646
From what few pictures I've seen, the first years of Drachenfest also looked like a budget version of its current form.
>>
>>10794800
>>10794820
sadly I can't post pdfs here for whatever reasons, will look up if I can do anything about it, but for the really fancy stuff you have to make your own pattern, and most of the bling comes from other places, like how you slashing it what material you use or if you can work with feathers or not.

>>10795682
twenty years ago when every larp looked like a budget version of itself
>>
Did you guys enjoy the extra long DF this year?

Personally, a week was a bit draining at the end, but the extra days gave enough time to visit stuff I always wanted but never had the chance to.
>>
File: 20220729_184843.jpg (3.4 MB, 4032x1816)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>10795698
wasn't long enough if you ask me,
>>
>>10795706
Good larps never are.

Any of you fuckers going to bicolline?
>>
>>10795646
It is. Playerbase has little to no experience at anything even vaguely similar, with most doing at most a weekend larp with all logistics provided. Tons of first time Larpers, too. Still head and shoulders above most of our larps, playerbase actually gave several fucks.
Give it five years. I already have people asking me how to find shit like period accurate shoes.
>>
>>10795749
>I already have people asking me how to find shit like period accurate shoes.
thats... not the best sign
>>
>>10795756
Given that the usual American attitude is "noooo, period shoes will break our feet I need my sneakers"
It's an excellent sign.
>>
>>10795756
Americans actively refuse to even wear the cheapest shit. If people actually do have money they buy expensive armor and put it over their hoodie and jeans. It’s a fucking miracle that anyone actually wanted to upgrade to non modern shoes.
>>
>>10795959
its kinda weird how lacking the DIY spirit is over there.
well, ok it has kinda died down here too. but back in the day we made all our own larpgear. even when we started importing good looking swords we still made our own clothing
>>
>>10795914
>>10795959
you guys misunderstood. Getting good shoes on itself isn't the problem.
Getting """period accurate""" shoes when otherwise your whole cloths is a mismatch is a problem.

First of all, period accurate is just a buzzword, and without stating which period it's meaningless, plus it's bullshit for larp. You only need reenactment type shoes if your setup is at least resembles reenactment type stuff. For a fantasy elf archer you can get various modern shoes with little modification that fits it better.

Secondly, shoes the last thing you have to worry about. It's just as much an accessory as armor. You only have modern boots? no problem, just hide it with something, legwraps, gaiters, whatever, nobody fucking cares who isn't an elitist retard or very anal about photos.

Thirdly it's usually a big investment if you want good quality stuff, and you REALLY don't want bad quality stuff. You can spend that money probably on a shitton of other things as a beginner, or even if you are larping for a decade. Having comfortable shoes is always better than having shoes that perfectly fits your character. It's just as much a safety thing as the weapons but for your feet

So for me it's an instant redflag if someone who has a beginner tier cloths and starts asking about how to get """period accurate""" shoes, because more than likely that person didn't put enough thoughts into his stuff and follows bullshit trends.
>>
>>10795987
The people that do DIY things are the good ones. I think there’s a certain precedent of good enough in America. Dudes come in with nursing scrubs for pants an oversized shirt and sneakers and because that’s “good enough” no one pushes anyone else to do better.

Shit the marshal of silver camp had never been to a larp bigger than him and his 8 friends and almost all of his camp stuff was DIY. I live in my car like a psycho so I didn’t want to get a tent but now I feel like I need to because he’s set a certain standard of what’s expected from committed players.

>>10795998
You have made very good points. It’s like you’re trying to explain advanced stuff though. We’re just glad some Americans are doing literally anything to improve themselves.
>>
>>10796267
consider it this way: it's an error that a lot of us went through, and if you skip it, you can spare yourself spending money unnecessarily.

I mean doing anything to improve yourself is nearly always better than doing nothing, but at some points your brain must be involved and have to start thinking on the what and how among other things, and not just do stuff that you feel like at the moment
>>
American here, all I have near me is Amtgard because Midwest. How do I find or start something that's not tap to death with penis swords?
>>
>>10787705
Why a tranny faggot front and center!?
>>
>>10795998
>>10796267
Where should an American actually start looking for good DIY footwear then?
>>
>>10796950
I think the first thing to look at would be literally any other kit, as regular brown hiking boots can blend in while giving you good ankle support blah blah etc. If you've sorted everything else to a good standard and have some basic leatherworking tools, Turnshoes are pretty ubiquitous historically and really not all that hard to make if you have a few spare evenings and a willingness to learn a new skill.

>>10796894
Find something? Check FB pages and forums, which is a rough trek. Maybe ask around at local nerd hangouts, that sort of thing. Start something? Now we're cooking with gas. Use a ruleset that emphasises Roleplaying over stats, ideally something that's only a few pages long and easy to remember and learn. Save the effort you could have used to write a gigamassive rulebook to write a really solid kit brief (depending on what vibe you want the game to have, medieval, ancient fantasy, whatever). Have examples of kit from a wide range of price ranges, and even examples of how to make basic stuff like a tunic on the cheap. Zweihander's kit brief is a perfect example of this. Don't just advertise to larpers, advertise to theatre kids and people who play RPGs and rely on the high standard of costuming to draw people in primarily on the aesthetic. Don't host it in a fucking park, try find a site thats far enough away that random dog walkers won't meander through. Enforce kit standards, and have a few people as your core NPC crew who are onboard and can do the same.

>>10795706
Damn that's a good camp setup. The longer I spend in this hobby the more having a good looking camp is the ideal for me, I really need to stop being a public transport pleb.

>>10795662
You can find them on ebay for surprisingly cheap. Honestly though, just comissioning some foam ones off a larp maker would make more sense if you want them strapped onto your head, they'll be a lot lighter.
>>
File: 1311742500600.jpg (593 KB, 700x4000)
593 KB
593 KB JPG
>>10796950
start looking for DIY footwear covers first. and /cgl/ is pretty good for that
>>
File: 1311742573337.jpg (844 KB, 700x4000)
844 KB
844 KB JPG
>>10797185
>>
>>10797112
>use a ruleset that emphasises Roleplaying over stats
What do you mean, like bonuses for playing your character archetype over having like 5 STR? I've only been to Amtgard myself, and that was so lame it was basically playing tag, so I'm not sure what /right/ looks like.
>>
What varnish do you use to conserve your stuff ? I tried transparent plastidip, but a larp weapon artisant did sneer at that, and the result is not perfect either, especialy for armor. any idea ?
>>
>>10787705
Are you guys using cloaks? And when yes, what kind and from what fabric? I think about making one for myself and i found a german webshop, with a "medieval fabrics" categorie. Im not sure what fabric to use, since i never really worked with any. Any tips and ideas?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.