[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 003bag_202_1.jpg (447 KB, 1000x750)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
Old thread perished

Itabag FAQ and Beginners Guide 2.0
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BUQ5ZQoH1A9vCR2OcdvhrWNv6JChsy-5z21rNugX2jc/edit?usp=sharing

buyf/a/g guide
>buyfags.moe

Share your progress, favorite bags, tips etc.
>>
File: 84386142_p0.jpg (629 KB, 826x1169)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
Just ordered some straps for my first itabag! It will be dedicated to gilgamesh, I'm so excited!
>>
>>10770215
Based Fate Extra enjoyer
>>
File: revolver.jpg (433 KB, 1024x768)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
Highly recommend everyone throw balls in their itabags, it's the funniest thing you'll do

>>10768701
Based Kazunari enjoyer
>>
File: cow.png (1.79 MB, 1000x1000)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
Anons, do you personally prefer the simpler and classic ita bags commonly found on Japanese sites like wego or the themed ones you see on kickstarters?
>>
>>10770876
Simpler ones, I feel like the themed ones on kickstarter are more about the bag rather than the merch which defeats the purpose of itabagging (so many of them are so specific, like how many characters are there that can match a pink cow bag?)
>>
File: gojbag.jpg (127 KB, 900x1200)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>10770876
i was so happy when i found out that someone was making a gojo ita bag, but then i was disappointed that the colors would have completely clashed with what i was making. it's such a shame that it's so cute though...
doesn't help that they're a gojo geto shipper either lol.
>>
Posted this previously in the dead thread, anyone have some examples of bags using Fumo plush or other medium-sized plush?

>>10770215
Good taste anon, he's also my favorite. Hope you'll post your progress!
>>
>>10770876
the themed ones are nice if there's still generous window space
>>
>>10770876
Personally I like basic ones because there’s nothing that matches mine. I feel like the kickstarter ones are more for normies who just want to show off enamel pins rather than true itabags. Plus they usually have smaller windows… I’m needing to order my third wego bag
>>
Reminder that not all itabags have to be character/series themed. I've seen a rise of bags lately in my city which have smaller plastic windows to show off miscellaneous cute badges and pins.
>>
>>10770960
isn’t character/series themed the name of the game so to speak? just throwing random pins on is fine but i wouldn’t call that an itabag. just someone using one
>>
>>10770960
That's what we call a pin bag, anon. Itabags have a specific definition.
>>
itabags are anime/idol otaku culture and i feel weird when normie pin bags are lumped in with them
>>
>>10770963
>>10770970
Oh actually that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

I get confused because I see a lot of itabags used to showcase photo booth photos, random pins, kpop idol photos and Sanrio stuff together as well. My bad.
>>
>>10770215
Good luck anon! It's always nice to see fate itabags. I'm currently working on my robin hood one.
>>
>>10771033
It's not your fault. People have incorrectly used the terms to the point where the original definitions are getting lost. I'd recommend reading the FAQ. The true definitions actually have some cool history and it's really inspiring to see how creative people can be to show the depth of their love for their favorite show / series / character.
>>
>>10770876
I prefer the classic ones because with themed ones it would be a lot harder to make look nice so you're a lot more limited, if that makes sense.
>>
>>10770971
I used to work with this girl who had an itabag base but the pins were all tumblr-looking pins with absolutely no theme whatsoever. I saw a marvel pin and a mimikyu and a bunch of pins with random quotes on it. It was pretty boring and I don't consider it an itabag at all
>>
Came up with a layout for a new bag. Does anyone have any recommendations for a base bag color? I feel like mint green would be the natural choice, but I don’t really like it tbqh.
>>
>>10771369
i think purple or a darker green would work really well!
or maybe some sort of brown?
>>
>>10771369
Maybe light red/dull magenta to match the colour of vest?
>>
>>10771374
I was thinking brown like >>10771372 suggested, but I didn’t consider red. Good idea, anon. I’m about to pull the trigger on this satchel, but I’ll do a little more browsing first to see if there’s anything else that fits.
>>
>>10770960
>>10771033
I suggest not barging into threads with "reminders" when you don't actually know what you're talking about. Jfc.
>>
>>10771376
These itabags are really nice, now I'm tempted to buy one
>>
>>10771376
On a side note, that is a gorgeous bag. I love how professional it looks.
>>
>>10771418
>>10771451
Only the best for my boy.
>>
>>10770971
Would you consider it appropriation of sorts to make a pin bag and call it an itabag? Dumb question since most of us aren't Japanese anyway so it's not like we aren't appropriating this hobby for ourselves, but something about making a bag filled with whatever random tumblr shit you find on etsy, and for it to not even be anime/idol themed, and to not only insist but to ARGUE that it's the same thing as an itabag and you're being toxic if you disagree, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
>>
>>10771524
i don't care about appropriation or whatever, i care about mislabeling things
>>
>>10771524
This anon has it right. >>10771525 In general I think crying appropriation should only be reserved for things with deep cultural or religious significance, not dumb fandom stuff, otherwise the term loses all meaning. There's nothing wrong with being from the west and doing itabagging as a hobby, but I think you should at least make an effort to stay on brand and don't get upset when people correct you.
>>
File: Confused.jpg (92 KB, 336x422)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Does anybody have a good suggestion for an ita backpack/messenger bag with a covering so it can be converted between a normal bag and a con one with a zip of a zipper/pulling up a flap?
>>
>>10771524
so, you think that using the original definition is appropriation, but using the term to describe something else is not? like others said, appropriation isn't the issue, but calling pin bags itabags is literally that, so your entire point is wrong. things have labels for a reason, if you don't like them, don't participate.
>>
>>10770876
That heavily depends; generally I go for plain base bags and the simple coloring that isn't too busy/large windows but occasionally there's a KS bag that fits within the theme of a character I'm bagging well enough that I'm happy to back it. All about balance/execution imo.
>>
>>10770876
i hate any themed bags that arent themed for the character, i see a lot of sanrio bags used for random anime characters and it looks like shit
>>
>>10771078
>robin hood
EXTREMELY good taste.
>>
File: wego.png (546 KB, 641x769)
546 KB
546 KB PNG
>>10771376
I've always loved lowkey two way bags like these. It makes it easier to use at the workplace.
>>10771705
The sanrio itabags probably only work when the character belongs to a franchise that has done a collab with sanrio in the past (ex: mahoyaku)
>>
>>10771735
What are these convertible bags called? Was wondering what to search for to find bags like what >>10771376 posted.
>>
>>10771883
Two-way bags. The one >>10771376 posted is from Zakkamart, >>10771735 is from Wego.
>>
What's your process for determining what character to base your bag on? Do you pick one who's personally significant to you?
>>
>>10772078
Only characters I have a strong emotional attachment to/care deeply about. Mostly just my husbando, but a few other characters I've resonated with particularly deeply over the years.
>>
>>10772078
My thought process is basically this:
>Do I like character enough to want to take them everywhere with me
>If the answer is yes, can I see myself using the bag long term and not just on special occasions like cons
The last point is the most important. This is an expensive hobby, and I've always had a bad habit of committing to those 100% if I choose to take them on. There are plenty of other more affordable ways to express your love for your husbando that don't involve spending hundreds of dollars, dealing with import fees, stressing over auctions, etc. I have two bags and I honestly can't see myself making any more, not just because of the expenses but because I seriously don't think I'll ever find another anime character I resonate more with than my guy.
>>
>>10772085
>hundreds of dollars
Jesus. I'm seriously considering starting my first bag but the more horror stories I hear about how much people have spent on theirs, the less I want to try. Knowing me I'd only want the rarest stuff that never shows up for non-insane prices.
>>
>>10772087
I wouldn't let it scare you off too much. Importing is going to be expensive no matter what, but how much you actually pay depends on how far you want to take your bag. Character tax is going to be a bitch no matter what, but you can buy up some of the more common, cheaper badges for that character in bulk and make a nice repeating bag, which is all the rage in Japan right now anyway. You can also choose a small base bag like a mini backpack or a purse, buy a few badges or charms and use decorations like flowers or rosettes to fill the rest of the window out.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (244 KB, 451x381)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
Planning out my first organized bag, last one was a bit of a mess since I was inexperienced and using what little merch I had a few years ago. I've been looking at the Zakkamart 2-way ones, which is what I based this prototype placement off of.

Wanted to see if any anons had suggestions for a muted yellow color bag. Otherwise I was thinking of going for white. Any other suggestions are welcome too! I really like what the OP image back does with the character image on the right, but I think I have too many can badges for something like that unless I get a bigger bag.
>>
>>10772107
Do you intend to use all of your badges? I really like the mini backpack I got from and-chouette, but it probably won't fit all of your merch unless you're willing to settle for a smaller bag. They also have purses, including a really nice yellow one, but I don't have one so I can't attest to how big they are, and it looks like they're all sold out at the moment.

https://online.and-chouette.jp/shop/g/g004821101602620000/
https://online.and-chouette.jp/shop/g/g004821101602521100/
>>
anyone have experience trading stuff from lots at con swap meets? i had to get the full set of some keychains and wondered if there was anything i could do besides selling them.
>>
>>10772116
Probably not all since I'm going to be leaving a few to display on my shelf as well. The purse you linked is really cute! Too bad the yellow is sold out, I'll look around for second-hand ones though.
>>
>>10772078
i focus on my husbando, i don't care about making itabags for other characters
>>
>>10772140
I keep hearing about these fabled facebook groups where you can trade itabag shit, but I have no idea what the active ones are. Maybe look into discord groups for the fandom the merch is from?
>>
>>10772078
I pick my favorite and only collect for them. I’m usually in charge of the box splits for my friend group so it’s easy to build up merch fast for my faves.
>>
>>10772078
i pick my favorite characters ever. unfortunately, for my favorite character in the world (Leon S. Kennedy), there is no "ita-baggable" merch for him unless i go full fanmade merch, but even then fanmade merch for him like pins, badges etc is so rare.
>>
>>10772087
start small so you get the feel of ita bagging, i recently completed my first ita bag and it cost me around $100 with a very fair amount of merch with a kinda small bag (personal preference)
then you can always go back and redo that same bag once you feel more comfy!
>>
File: m28427034875_1.jpg (154 KB, 1080x1080)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
I'm back with another possibly stupid rosette question. Apologies ahead of time.

How much do handmade rosettes sell for? Like what would a simple rosette sell for, versus something more complex or highly customized? (Pic related is a random image from google. I would say it's somewhere in between).

I recently invested a lot of time in learning how to make rosettes for my own badges, and I'm slightly interest in making them for other people locally. But I honestly don't know what a fair price is, even if I would do it mostly for fun. Similarly, I don't know what to expect if I wanted to buy a rosette from someone who also made them.
>>
File: EsL5IolUYAAG5qV.png (2.86 MB, 1200x1171)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB PNG
>>10772087
Do it little by little. Buy a small piece of merch or two once a month. Also I agree with >>10772094 said, you can always get a small bag/window. Just remember to take it slow.
>>
>>10772087
>horror stories
Spending in excess is kind of one of the main points of this hobby, anon. That being said, if you're not willing to spend that much, do some research on the market prices before you commit. If you'd "only want the rarest stuff that never shows up for non-insane prices" you're either going to have to just accept those prices, stalk marketplaces daily in hopes of snagging something for a lower price, or convince yourself otherwise.

>>10772078
I wait for the vibe to hit.
>>
>>10772087
Anon, it depends on the character and how hardcore you want to get. I’ve spent hundreds but that because I buy everything I see of my husbando and there is a shop that sells anime keychains etc. that I go to as well as cons. I have also had friends pick stuff up for me in Japan before Covid and bought stuff on Mercari Japan. I’m also very weird about symmetry so I was trying to get multiples of things but unfortunately didn’t get more than 1-3 for most of the stuff I have; the stuff I have many multiples of is either really common or picked up in Japan. Mine doesn’t really have character tax as they’re not popular but it’s also meant it’s harder to find.
If it’s a more popular/common character, it’s easier to get multiples of the same thing of you want that. You can also just not be concerned about that and it’s much faster. I also use the big Wego bags so it’s a lot more to fill than something smaller.
This hobby isn’t cheap but it also doesn’t have to be super expensive. Also keep in mind that I’ve spent hundreds, but that’s over 5 years of collecting, not all in one go.
>>
I've got a question for people with non-bootleg WEGO bags made of faux leather. How have they held up over the years? I found the perfect bag for a certain character (he's a news anchor) but I've had such bad luck with faux leather bags. They were all no name crap though, so I'm hoping WEGO stuff lasts a decent while.
>>
>>10772087
I don't know how much I've spent on my bag, but I will say a couple of things.
1. I buy my stuff piecemeal. Every con I'll buy a few things to add to my bag if I see things I like for my character. Some of it is fanmade stuff, some of it is official merch.
2. I chose my character for my ita bag carefully. The year I decided to start my ita bag, I had my first choice and two backups for who I wanted to focus my bag on. When my first choice and one of my backups had barely any merch but my third choice had stuff at practically every booth that sold keychains and charms, I went with my third choice. It was easier for me to make the bag that way.
>>
File: WOW NICE.png (768 KB, 736x708)
768 KB
768 KB PNG
I may have just gotten a piece of merch I've been waiting years to find a listing for, please give me your energy I'm praying my ss is quick enough.
>>
>>10773370
I am praying for you anon. Waiting for SS confirmation is always the hardest part!
>>
File: file.png (7 KB, 272x138)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>10773370
Ladies and gentlemen, we got him. I have a bad habit of waiting until I have a dupe to do anything but I've been looking forward to it for so long I may forgo that bit of autism just this once.
>>
Hi! This may be a dumb question so sorry in advance. I’ve decided to sell part of my merch of a specific character and I don’t how or where U should do that. Should I sell all the pins together or separated? They are both official and fanmade pins…
>>
>>10773451
*I, not U. Damn.
>>
>>10772367
The items in the bag all in plastic packing too big for it really ruins this...
>>
>>10773451
selling pins separately sounds like a bit of a pain so i would try to sell it as a package deal. also if it's my husbando you should sell them all to me lmao
>>
>>10773457
Doesn't look like a final bag, more like a wip for layout.
>>10773451
It's way easier to sell things in lots; at the least make sure you specify there's fanmade stuff in it before listing so the buyer is aware, but ebay, local comms, there's a couple itabag groups on fb that do bst, and mercari are some places you can look at.
>>
>>10773459
They were all from a bag dedicated to Tokoyami from bnha. I doubt he’s your husbando lol

>>10773463
Thank you both for your suggestions. I’ll try to sell them on ebay and, if that doesn’t work, I’ll create a fb account.
>>
>>10773463
>Doesn't look like a final bag, more like a wip for layout.
Oh i see if thats the case then it would make sense. I always take my merch out when Im deciding where it goes.
>>
File: original.jpg (380 KB, 1280x1121)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
How do you decide on a bag? I've found two that I really like, but I'm indecisive.
>>
>>10775063
Well, show us what you're debating between
>>
File: itabag.png (829 KB, 1024x576)
829 KB
829 KB PNG
>>10775072
kickstarter bag versus the wego scallop one. the kickstarter one will definitely fit more stuff plus the chains are useful. But the wego bag is more subtle and classy. Could easily be used at the workplace
>>
>>10775164
This is pretty cute and normie. If you're bringing an itabag to work I don't think you really need to worry about getting a subtle or classy bag. Personally, I prefer a bag with a bit more room. lmao @ the cringe gratuitous Japanese though
>>
>>10772221
There's loads of stuff on Etsy. Try being a Duke fan and truly suffer.
>>
>>10775164
>plus the chains are useful.
Yes, every eastern European football hooligan would tell you that. The bigger and more massive the better weapon it makes.
>>
File: rebag.jpg (72 KB, 900x500)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>10775338
i've seen some Etsy merch for the Duke too!! he deserves all the merch, he was the realest one in that whole game..
while he definitely does have his fair share on Etsy, i just want my specialest boy to have all the official merch in the world ya know? definitely waiting for this RE themed bag to release before deciding to cope with fanmade merch though!
>>
>>10775695
Oh shit fr? I've only found like ten things in total, all acrylic keychains and one plush backpack, but that's not an ita bag item. If you got any shop names I would love that!
>>
File: happylemonade1.png (1.5 MB, 940x940)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
Have any of you seen a two-way messenger bag where the window is completely covered by the flap rather than on the back or peeking out like pic related? I'm looking for one that is 100% for my own benefit, not a visible display. I just want to peek at my spread every time I open up my bag.
Bonus points for classy like this one >>10771376

>>10775164
I'd say it depends on how important it is to you that you can hide it and how much interior and window space you need. Since they're so dissimilar the question is less about aesthetics (which we could help with) and more practical priorities (which is a personal decision). It seems to me that you're more inspired by the kusari bag and the wego bag is you settling.

My own opinions on aesthetics and priorities:
A benefit to smaller bags is that it takes up less space and encourages you to take less stuff you don't need. When I go on errands I try to take my smaller bags because they're not so heavy and I don't bump into things. I also like a packed small window more than an empty spaced large window. But a large window gives you more space for rosettes and decorations which I think can look really pretty. But a small bag also means you can stretch out your merch across a couple different bags.
If you're bringing it to work it depends a lot on what you bring to work. I certainly pack my work bag with a lot more than my errand bag. You didn't mention cons, but that's also something to consider if you go to them. I need space for my packed lunch and whatever I'm buying at the merch hall. I'd prefer to bring one big bag rather than carry anything extra.
>>
File: nightcord.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
hi! does anyone have any idea of what base bag color i should use for a bag for these characters? i'm a little stumped..
>>
>>10776903
What do you have for merch so far?
>>
File: IMG_20220622_222343.jpg (1.84 MB, 2705x2031)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
Can someone tell me if I should keep those ribbons or not?
>>
>>10777259
>>10777259
Ribbons can stay, the pearl things maybe not so much
>>
>>10777259
>>10777261
I love the ribbons and the pearls, keep them both!
>>
I can smell the femcel in this thread
>>
>>10777865
>hobby that's just putting pins on a clear bag
>femcel
?
>>
>>10777866
don't give him attention
>>
While I wait for my new base bag to come in, here’s the first one I ever made that I finally got around to finishing the other day. I think there’s a lot of room for improvement, but I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. Would love to get some feedback so I can make it even better.
>>
File: all of my love.jpg (75 KB, 1079x570)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>10778636
Anon, I love this bag and all of the merch in it with my whole heart.
>>
>>10778636
Personally I would have liked this either with tons of flowers to completely fill it out, but with petals overlapping. Less crazy would be to make a few clusters of flowers. Like bouquets. I don't like how they're evenly distributed. The background could also be a different color.
What's the new bag you're getting?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.