[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1624900590575.png (409 KB, 900x937)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
Conventions are back so what advice do you have for 1st timers?
>>
Wear a condom
>>
1. save up a lot of money. just a LOT, so much. you're gonna want every penny you can hold onto if you're the kind that likes to get merch/hang in the artist alley
2. know the schedule well and plan ahead for your days
3. if there's something you want like a figure, don't buy it there is a 99% chance that it's much cheaper online
4. SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE MONEY
5. don't be creepy for pictures, ask, if they say no then leave and don't linger around them nor take one without their permission
6. most importantly, don't be gross and use cons as some hookup hub like this >>10762883 dude
>>
>Buy water, food that can be refridgerated, and handsoap for your your hotel. Hotels don't have normal soap
>Wear a cosplay. You will feel horrible and like you're missing out by wearing normal clothes
>Bring shoes that won't kill your feet after walking for a few miles. If you aren't completely comfortable in them you will regret it fast
>>
>>10762868
Don’t have super long days followed by no sleep. Don’t go if you’re sick-you will be the source of con plague. Take breaks, drink water, use the bathroom, stretch if you’re standing or sitting in one place for a long time, use shoe inserts. If you have a large/unwieldy cosplay, get a handler. Get good sleep.
>>
>>10762883
and remember that condoms don't prevent herpes
>>
>>10762895
Next convention I go to will be the first I go to with my girlfriend that cosplays. What do I need to learn, given that pre-pandemic I went to MAGfest primarily for the concerts and solo?
>>
>>10763025
Don’t be afraid to spend time apart doing separate panels. If they have a cafe of some kind, consider booking it for a fun date!
>>
>>10763025
if you don't cosplay but your gf does, she will probably appreciate you holding on to bags and personal items while she gets her picture taken. Whenever I get stopped my bf just automatically takes my things and speeds everything up, I love it so much

My advice:

>as courtesy to yourself:
don't forget water. This especially applies in the summer but for the love of god have some water. if cosplaying or wearing jfash, break in your shoes before the con. make sure they're comfortable.
>as a courtesy to other people
antiperspirant/deodorant, and for the love of god, take a fucking shower every day of the con. not optional. when browsing artist alley and dealer's room, especially in a group, be mindful of how you're positioned when you stop. be a foot too far one way and you'll create a giant traffic jam.
>>
>>10762868
Don't think about going to another one after this. In-person conventions are slowly dying in favor of virtual presentations.
>>
>>10763030
>panels
Too far out to know what's going to be available but good idea.
>cafe
YES PLS

>>10763052
>carrying stoof
easy, and good to know.
>water
Already on it. I was already taking water to MAGfest, so that's an easy one.
>shower/deodorant
Shower yes, deodorant I have to find one that doesn't kill me.
>art/dealer
Good to know. I'm used to a FUCKHUEG room with lots of space.
>>
Don’t get the aids
>>
>>10763053
Curious and genuine question - where are you from? It’s the opposite where I am (Texas). Revenge on a year and a half of no cons with cons literally every single weekend, all super busy. It’s crazy.
>>
>>10763067
texas does this right, even if it is backwards in damn near everything else - i mean who needs guaranteed power if we can just dress up as our favorite waifu?
>>
>>10762884
>6. most importantly, don't be gross and use cons as some hookup hub like this >>10762883 dude

well, I've been doingcons wrong for years lol
>>
>>10762868
get the food/drinkks/etc to you; hotel food is expensive. restaurants nearby are better ish
>>
DO NOT go to vendor hall with a group unless you want to hate your friends because they'll all wander off or stare at something for five seconds before trying somewhere else. Following even one person into vendor hall is a great way to make sure you leave with nothing, lose your whole group (unless it's a podunk event, expect zero reception of any kind), waste a ton of time and/or miss the coolest stuff that you didn't have time to notice
>>
>>10763053
only turbo autist prefer "virtual presentations"
if i wanted a virtual presentation i'd watch youtube.
>>
Is it weird to go solo? My friend that was supposed to go is saying they might have to bail due to some shit that came up.
>>
>>10762868
Hydrate
>>
>>10763504
nope, mu first cons were solo they're fun
>>
All the people here saying make sure to stay hydrated is no joke. And MAKE. SURE. TO. EAT. Always bring snacks with you! One of the biggest mistakes I see first timers make is not drink or eat enough. So many people pass out at cons because of this. I was one of those people my first couple times and all my friends were like that too, we always have to remind each other to keep staying hydrated and snacking/eating. Make sure to sit and take breaks too especially if you’re not used to being up on your feet all day/for days. Ask people politely if they have a cosplay account after you take a picture if you wanna try and make more friends/follow people for inspiration! Also make sure to review the map and all the events going on. Some people get overwhelmed a lot just browsing in the vendor/artist alley halls and miss out on neat things they could’ve checked out. Stuff in vendor hall is usually overpriced anyways. I’d save my money for buying food instead especially if you’re gonna get con food truck food since that ish is overpriced. Also make sure most importantly to just have fun. :)
>>
What is the drinking situation like at most cons? Are the bars nearby packed with con goers?
>>
>>10763618
more like people going to room parties and/or drinking in smoking sections etc
>>
Eat a massive breakfast at the hotel so you don't have to buy expensive food at the convention. Take energy bars to snack on.
>>
>>10762883
FPBP
>>
>>10763392
This this this. It seems like a good idea, it really does, but it's so awkward and unsatisfying. You will not manage to have a decent conversation, nor will you get to actually buy anything. Every other piece of advice is common sense; this is the one that will catch you by surprise.
>>
>>10763746
In fact, hit up Costco. Buy a couple of bulk packs of water and snacks and you're good to go
>>
Is it weird if I go to a cosplay meetup in normal clothes to take pictures and maybe meet people who like what I like
>>
>>10764088
No, there will be a lot of people in plain clothes. Pretty much all the photogs will not be cosplaying. If it's one of the at con gatherings you might have a hard time interjecting yourself though. Too many people, and you'll be one more face in the crowd
>>
Is it a bad idea to go to cons by yourself safety wise? I was gonna go with a sibling but they’ve decided not to go.
>>
>>10764216
It's the same risk you'll have being alone anywhere crowded. Just remember your safety tips and share your location with someone you trust.
>>
>>10764216
In most cities, you'll be perfectly fine. Only ones like Los Angeles where you might wander into Skid Row because it's over right there are dangerous. Protip: just don't wander off the beaten path.
>>
>>10764088
Just don’t be one of those fucking creeps like 99% of photogs where their entire portfolio is slutty girls in slutty cosplays.
>>
How much of the experience do you miss not staying at the onsite hotel?
>>
>>10763504
not at all imo. I loved going with friends but when I went by myself I got to do what I wanted when I wanted and visit panels to my heart's content. I still met up with friends for an hour or two here and there, but I was mostly on my own schedule.

>>10764448
some cons have late night programming which is easiest to access when you're close by. Same with room parties etc. I like being in an onsite hotel bc then everything is just an elevator ride away, but I wouldn't say it's like a necessity.
Ofc there are special cases where it matters a lot - like Colossalcon where your hotel stay comes with a waterpark pass
>>
has anyone in this forsaken board mentioned USE SOAP
>>
>>10764357
>photogs
>portfolio
Nah, I just want to see what people make and maybe chat
>>
>>10764335
>>10764350
Thanks anons
>>
>>10764546
I would hope we wouldn't have to tell people to do that, but yes. And deoderant
>>
Parking if you are not staying at a close hotel. Some con's will have plenty while others will barely have any. It is best to scout out parking garages ahead of time so you are not stuck walking a mile from your car to the con.
>>
>>10762868
Speaking from a loners perspective;
I went to my first con (Anime Arizona) by myself a few months ago. It was small, and ive never had the kind of friend group thats shared this interest of mine so i didnt really have any choice but to endure it by myself.
Anyways, things i learned (as a consooomer):
Bring cash
Arrive early
Make laps and see every booth and what they have to offer before things get too busy
Make sure to hydrate and eat either before or during.
Bring something to hold your shit if youre a consoooomer.

I left with a bunch of stickers and a zero2 skatedeck because stickers are my thing. I felt extremely out of place and had to make 3 passes through everything before i felt comfortable enough to start talking to vendors.
I dont know what help this could possibly afford you, but i hope you still go and have fun.
>>
>>10763056
Aids is out
Monkeypox is the hottest new thing
>>
>>10763504
I always went solo so far
It's ok...
>>
File: GCb5Aqs.jpg (29 KB, 499x500)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>10762868
shower

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.