[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

File: Tully2022redesign.jpg (92 KB, 1080x720)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Previous thread >>10682082 got nuked, likely due to the irrelevant off-topic dramu. Please refrain from rekindling it, kthnxbai.
>Made In Asia NL has had their first edition. People enjoyed it minus the poor public transport options.
>Lots of other cons got cancelled or postponed due to COVID.
>Remember that Amsterdam sushi event where every got food poisoning and some might say was a scam? They took their shitfest to Brussels and things went exactly as expected.
>Aniway Magazine, the only Dutch magazine for anime, manga and conventions, is having or had financial troubles. This is the time to support them!
>NEW NISHICON DATE: 30-31 July
>Dutch Comic Con happened, zero restrictions. Things felt jsut like the yesteryears before we all spend 2 years as hermits. Also I didn't even got sick?! Damn...
>Dutch newspaper column on Dutch Comic Con got the greater community riled up.

Special update: our adopted mascot Tully has gotten a redesign for the 30th anniversary of Huis Ten Bosch.
https://www.huistenbosch.co.jp/character/tuly/

Upcoming major events:
>2-3 apr: FACTS (BE), Ghent (BE). The largest comic con of Belgium.
>8-10 apr: Made in Asia (BE), Brussels (BE). The largest anime con of Belgium
>9-10 apr: TomoCon, Berghem. It's a con.
>23-24 apr: Elfia, Haarzuilens. Huge fantasy event with cosplay, LARP and whatnot.
>30 apr-1 may: MIA (NL), Gorichem. 2nd Dutch edition of this commercial anime-oriented convention.
>26-28 may: Imaginarium Festival, Tytsjerk. Fantasy something. If you know more. please share.
>10-12 jun: Animecon, Rijswijk. The regular edition of the oldest Dutch anime convention, now at a new location in Rijswijk.
Full list (Dutch): https://dutchgulls.nl/conventieagenda/

Links and advice:
>POSTS MADE IN DUTCH ARE AGAINST SITE-WIDE RULES AND WILL BE DELETED!
>The rules also state no namedropping, vendettaposting and lactose.
>Site nobody uses, now overhauled so I can forget its existance again: https://dutchgulls.nl/
>Discord: https://discord.gg/QAYNyfY
>>
File: FOx9qteXsAcOdCf.jpg (248 KB, 1200x1200)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
Thanks for the new thread OP. Can we continue the con talk rather than all the unnecessary 2019 drama?
What are your plans for this upcoming con season everybody?
>>
>>10747850
Maybe try to make an AMV for the AMV compo. Bought some cheap editing software on humblebundle and always wanted to try to participate so maybe I should give it a chance?
I always liked watching the AMV compos.
Do AMVs count as cosplay related?
>>
>>10747851
>Do AMVs count as cosplay related?
Hardly but still better than the off topic dramu that terminated the previous thread.

Cosplay Music Videos would be fine I guess.
>>
>>10747851
Humblebundle has editing software?
Learn something everyday.
>>
>>10747860
Every once in a while you can buy vegas pro for rather cheap price on humblebundle. It's an older version than the most recent one but it still works fine.
>>
>Booked hotel by the new location for Animecon
>good rate so booked quick
>few days later go around to look at what's actually around the con for supplies, lunch, rest, chill
>wowit'sfuckingnothing.jpg

Anyone who is familiar with the new con location care to share some advice for emergency cosplay supply or just general food options? Right now our options are looking at stocking up on somethings from Lidil and just doing lunch in our room, and just bring an extra few supplies for cosplay. I don't mind taking a 10-15 minute walk or train but I've never been to this area so looking for some insight to avoid winding up at a row of kebab shops.
>>
>>10747870
>I don't mind taking a 10-15 minute walk or train but I've never been to this area so looking for some insight to avoid winding up at a row of kebab shops.
Broodfabriek is about 15 minutes walk from the Boogaard shopping centre. The station is even closer, HTM stops basically across the street where there are several restaurants (including a Turkish one),

Mc. Donalds at 5 minutes walking, you pass a Domino's one the way from the station. And there are three hotels within walking distance, a Best Western, Bastion and a new one called 'stay at 7' which seems pretty cheap to me.
>>
File: rijswijk.jpg (760 KB, 1920x938)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>10747872
Everything within 10-15 minutes walking distance. Bus and streetcar lines, railway station, three hotels and a large shopping center just on the other side of the station.

Just across the street at the green square is a large parking garage. This is actually a pretty good location.
>>
>>10747872
>>10747875
I appreciate the help, was looking at those areas a bit.

Didn't I didn't see there were train stops so close to the convention center. I might actually head into china town or around it because if I am going to wait for something I might as well make it in line with the convention. Seems like it would be a 15 minute train ride and a short walk. I appreciate the help and will keep an eye on this thread, hope it doesn't explode.
>>
>>10747851
Still con-related if it's a compo I guess.
>>
>>10747870
If you don't mind paying it, the food at Animecon is pretty good these last 5 years or so. Just have to pick the right one, but often there are 1 or 2 that actually sell pretty good food for a decent price.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1649009492997.jpg (125 KB, 739x1073)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
So, the event that gives you this beautiful poster.
>>
>>10748683
Also asks 600 bucks for vip tickets.

(Yes, that infamous Dutch HP Store is behind it)
>>
>>10747850
>What are your plans for this upcoming con season
My plans this year are just Animecon and Abunai. I did DCC last weekend and with it had my fix of fairs for the next 2 or 3 years. Animecon will be just the Saturday for me. The previous edition at Ahoy and their new location have given me some doubts on whether or not it would be worth the cost of a hotel for a full weekend. Abunai will be all weekend and for once I'm working on a cosplay to wear at it.

I might check out MIA NL out of curiosity, but will likely pass on it. I also haven't decided on Animecon Classic yet. The concept does appeal to me, but details regarding the execution are scarce, not to mention the hotel situation. That's about it for me this year.

>>10747851
AMV making does sound like fun. I've been getting into video editing myself these past 2 years and an AMV would make for a fun challenge to gain some more skill.

>>10748683
>>10748684
This seems oddly... familiar. Wasn't there a similar Dutch Harry Potter event that turned out to be a massive scam? Promising the full cast to be there, selling expensive meet and phototickets only to cancel the event and the organisers flat out disappearing?
>>
>>10748692
>This seems oddly... familiar. Wasn't there a similar Dutch Harry Potter event that turned out to be a massive scam? Promising the full cast to be there, selling expensive meet and phototickets only to cancel the event and the organisers flat out disappearing?

It happened multiple times. Most by a store that doesn't exist anymore and are now behind this one.

But also once by a group, that made a bunch of fake HP Facebook profiles and Larped the characters, while organising an event on short notice (I think it where a bunch of kids, considering it was so odd).
>>
How do lolitas deal with the import tax nowadays since you have to pay it for small packages too now?
>>
>>10748989
The same way cosplayers do: pay the import tax. A lot of non-EU stores now use IOSS to declare them for you upon checkout, meaning no administrative fee. Even if they don't it's just €4 these days which is manageable, especially if you save items up to make a big order. For second hand products you can always ask the seller to write down a lower value. Even if customs opens up a package I doubt they'll realise they're dealing with some MC vintage burando.
>>
>>10747844
Link to the newspaper article?
>>
>>10750439
https://www.volkskrant.nl/columns-opinie/veilig-schuilen-waarom-volwassenen-zich-massaal-verkleden-als-cartoonheld~bfebd9e2/
>>
>>10748692
I want to go to Animecon in Rijswijk too, For sure the first day friday on the 10th of June. (How) do dutchgulls meet on events? I live nearby and will go with a few friends (most students), some of them internationals. I haven't gotten into cosplay myself yet due to the time it takes, but am open to participate in anything.
>>
>>10750557
>(How) do dutchgulls meet on events?
There's usually a meetup at the larger events. In the old days meets would be orchestrated in the thread with polls and such. These days however they are handled on Discord and the ones for Animecon and Abunai get posted in the thread once decided. Typically meets will be on the Saturday during a boring moment on the event programming and held either outside or at the venue's bar with something for people to recognise like a Tully plushie or specific cosplay. Surprisingly, we haven't had any real issues where creeps and weirdos showed up despite all the meet horror stories from other local cgl groups.
>>
>>10750371
That's not how it works for lolita, there are many Japanese brands, shops and market places that you can't buy from directly. You don't deal with the seller yourself.
>>
File: atepie.jpg (117 KB, 1080x1080)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>10748989
Lacemarket sales within the EU have become a lot more attractive to me now. Also consider buying new from AtePie if they carry brands that suit your taste. They are one of the few direct from brand-stores that mark down your package and you don't even need to ask for it. They also do international shipping for a flat fee of 2000 yen when you order 20k yen or above worth of items.

When I order new from other JP brands I just suck it up and cry to my frilly friends about it.
>>
How's Elfia everyone? Seems like the weather is on our side this time
>>
>>10750544
literal boomer piece, fuckin wanker of a woman. She says nothing of worth here, as far as I can see
>>
>>10755051
Well the PIN-machines all crashed. only the 5G ones kept working causing quite some chaos...
>>
So, did any of you attend MiA? I did, felt like a slightly more deluxe Tomo event.
One big hall with pretty much everything: check
Lots of noise due to everything aimed at the centre of the hall: check.
A "we don't want bootleg, but we don't enforce it"-policy: check.
Food vendors who apparently haven't heard about HACCP: check.
Venue (kind of) away from every major public transport hub: check.
Pendel bus service stopping shortly after the event closes: check.

I did enjoy Jason Paige 's gig, Nintendo was fun too, and I got some lovely merch at the Artist alley and a shirt from kaomoji's new line, and I was glad to drive my own car.

For an event with a large orga behind it, the atmosphere and overall enjoyment was just lacking. Sad, really, as the Brussels MiA is a large gathering with lots of things to do.
>>
>>10758830
Wow that's a brilliantly great event if I read this, at least compared to the Japan lights and food festival in Ahoy where I paid €35,- for.
In that event you first walked through an alley of christmas trees only to be dumped in a big hall with food trucks. The food was ok, but expensive. Oh and you could only stay for 2 hours... never again!
>>
>>10758830
>Food vendors who apparently haven't heard about HACCP: check.

Now I'm curious, as MIA made a whole big deal out of their "food market".
>>
>>10758956
When i went for something to eat, the Kara-aage stand looked the most promising in for safety, but my body doesn't agree with overly greasy foods.

The stand next to it was a tent with some tables with people cooking, but no gloves or professional equipment. Didn't pay them much attention.

The pokebowl stand had a younger guy looking like a fish out of water, no gloves, no apron. His toppings came out of a professional cooler, though, so I ultimately went for a veggie pokebowl, as I wasn't sure what to think about chicken, or raw salmon from this guy.

I was hungry, so I didn't bother to check out the other food options.
Next time (if there is one), I'll bring my own sammies.
>>
I visited MIA for the second time. Only cause my friends wanted to go back, I don't actually like the atmosphere, the location sucks pretty bad and it's really noisy. Feels too much like DCC but with a tad more manga.
But it wasn't all bad. The artist alley was very nice, Jason Paige being there was a fun surprise, the karaage was fantastic and the maid cafe was pretty fun. The layout was a bit different from before, which I liked. Previous year had the maid cafe next to the main stage, which sucked ass, cause there was a band playing super loudly.
I also liked the games, there even was DDR, don't thinm they had that last year. Didn't see the HADO thing operating tho, too bad. Was pretty fun last time
But yeah if not for my friends I wouldn't have been there. DDR and Sparkling Potpourri can be found on other cons as well and if I want good Japanese food I can just visit a restaurant (and it won't even be more expensive!)
>>
>>10758830
>>10759809
Sounds like I made a good choice not going. Anything that was so good that would have made it worth?
>>
>>10750544
>https://www.volkskrant.nl/columns-opinie/veilig-schuilen-waarom-volwassenen-zich-massaal-verkleden-als-cartoonheld~bfebd9e2/

"I had to meet my article quota" - the article. Don't give 'em clicks. It's not even negative or hating, just the ignorant and dismissive view of a boomer. Some lines are even positive, so it's almost like she tried.

Genuinely not worth your attention.
>>
File: THA 2022.png (41 KB, 899x640)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Heard a rumor Anime will be having a new edition in Almelo. checked the Van der Valk website and lo and behold! last weekend of September is blocked, same weekend as the last planned event.

so i booked the hotel next door! I'm too old to be part of the hotel games.

How are people feeling on the Animecon at Rijswijk thing? I feel its a big step backwards. I mean Rotterdam was just sad. i wonder if they will recuperate.
>>
>>10764388
>How are people feeling on the Animecon at Rijswijk thing?
I don't know but there are few things, smaller location but still having a capacity for 6000 people each day, De Broodfabriek is a location that does a lot of similar events like Fantasy Fest, Crea beurs and neuzel beurs. And another thing, it is cheaper, a full weekend ticket costs now only 55 euro, in Rotterdam that was 70 euro's.
>>
>>10760519
No, if you have the option to go to Animecon or Abunai, there's no reason to go, unless you're desperate for a place to show off your cosplay. In which case I'd recommend Tomofair, cause while it's shit, it's at the very least super affordable
>>
>>10766750
>it's at the very least super affordable
And that is the only redeeming factor of Tomo.

Next up is Animecon in two weeks time, 35 bucks for a saturday may sound like a lot, but the opening hours are from 10.00 until 03.00, as far as I understood they have done away with day visitors having to leave at midnight, so that is pretty much value for money.
>>
>>10766868
>And that is the only redeeming factor of Tomo.

It's not thát bad, but you get what you pay for. You pay €5,- you get 2 workshops and a concert.
Animecon you pay €80,- and you get 20 workshops and a concert.

It scales perfectly.

Also because tomo is so small, it's the perfect place to try out new stuff. Dress up town started at tomo.
>>
>>10766750
>>10766868
I would only recommend tomo if you're a 14 year old weeb or very broke.
The place is a perfect babby's first cosplay con since it's basically a meet. It's cheap, maybe close to home depending on which tomo and where you live and the overall vibe is more welcoming to beginners who made their cosplay made out of leftover fabric on their late grandma's sewing machine or bought their costume on aliexpress.
Especially the last point is important. While I do disagree with Brian's takes, even a broken clock is twice right a day. Animecon is increasingly becoming more elitist. Or at least that's the impression I get.
They are focusing more on cosplay competitions and international guests and less on creating good vibes. As results young and beginning cosplayers feel intimidated and unwelcome. The fact nobody signed up for the casual cosplay competition is a sign of that.

That being said, I still prefer animecon over tomo since animecon has more workshops and lectures and I prefer their venues over a gym. And while I'm also just an amateur when it comes to cosplay, I do feel rather out of place at tomo as there is quite an age gap between me and the average visitor there.

td;dr. Go to tomo for cheap gymzaalcon and more approachable vibe, animecon for professional cosplayers and compos and whiskey tasting and sushi workshop.
>>
>>10764388
>Heard a rumor Anime will be having a new edition in Almelo. checked the Van der Valk website and lo and behold! last weekend of September is blocked, same weekend as the last planned event.
And you are completely right, in the latest edition of Aniway magazine Jpop announces AnimeCon Classic 2022 'The Roaring Twenties', 23-25 september in Theater Hotel in Almelo.
>>
>>10768756
pretty sure tomofair is gym, tomocon is in a proper building.
>>
>>10768832
At this point I can't tell them apart. Tomofair, tomotaste, tomoparty, tomocon, tomo-onsen. I just call them all "tomo" or "de gymzaalcons".
>>
I guess this isn't cosplay related, but related enough. I have a bunch of anime figures i want to sell and the Marktplaats crowd seems too uninterested. So far I've tried Facebook but I don't get reactions there. I've sold over 20 figures already, but I wish I could just all sell them quickly. I know Abunai has a thing for it, and I think Viencon too? But both require a weekendticket, so I'd rather first explore cheaper, less time-consuming options. Does anyone have any tips? I'd massively appreciate it.
>>
>>10764388
>How are people feeling on the Animecon at Rijswijk thing?
It's sweet, close to where I live and broodfabriek is a good venue. The price helps a lot too!
>>
>>10768098
>>10768756
I am only going friday to animecon, am I missing out a lot?
>>
>>10768098
I only count 11 workshops. still more then tomo but 20? nah. food court at anime looks interesting, but it's also close to the amount tomo offers. 5 euro vs 80 euro, the festivals and events have been always the same for years, both offer nice variety, but one offers cheap entrance compared to the other (mostly because of expansive guests and location).
Bold statement.
I count 11 workshops in total at Anime 2022
>>
>>10770326
>I know Abunai has a thing for it, and I think Viencon too?
Animecon to, but also requires a weekend ticket.
>>
>>10770363
>I count 11 workshops in total at Anime 2022
Shut up Brian!

https://animecon.nl/regular/en/program/program-overview
>>
>>10770330
Not really, unless you want to see all the cosplay contests or have like 5 different cosplays you want to wear throughout the entire weekend. Fridays are cheaper than saturday tickets and people are livelier compared to sunday. If you liked it enough and wanted more you can always decide to go for a full weekend for another edition if you're willing to pay for it.
>>
>>10770326

Vinted
>>
>>10770569
> Shut up Brian!
I'm not Brian, pal.

> https://animecon.nl/regular/en/program/program-overview
Yes, I've actually looked at the roster, and only county 11, so what is your point...
>>
>>10770734
>Yes, I've actually looked at the roster, and only county 11, so what is your point...
Show me!
>>
I've found the worst con in the Netherlands
https://twitchcon.com/amsterdam-2022/
While Brian is complaining about animecon's program you should all take a look at this. Twitchcon in Amsterdam, just look at that program.
It's fucking nothing! 108 euros or 65 for one day and you get absolutely fucking nothing. All that money just to see some stuck-up streamers and buy an ugly shirt at the "loot cave". At least there's a cosplay contest sunday but that's it.
They don't provide any details about things like artist alley or interactive sessions like who is attending, the official program is very bare-bones and the con is almost over a month already.
And at the end of twitchcon you can get to wear this badge of shame next your twitch username. 65 euros for a digital badge.
>>
>>10771082
You know what is the funniest part ?
People actually pay for that...
It doesn't matter how good your convention is, just the name and brand is enough to attract people.
>>
>>10770967
simply start counting every workshop. a cosplay competition or something like a competition is not a workshop, so that does not count. anything related to creating something, or learning something is considered a workshop. if you are too lazy to count it yourself, that's on you.
>>
>>10771082
Brian here, that was not me, the person writing the messages above just send me "apparently when I write something, I'm you".

Haven't checked here in months btw, is there some new drama I need to know about or can I go back to ignoring this stuff and being busy with running an company?

Of course I still help at Tomo[EnterNameEvent], so if anyone wants to have some fun come see me there ;)
>>
Dokomi has really grown immensly! I joined this year after a 3 year hiatus and damn it's big! Why can't we have cons like that here?
>>
>>10771224
seen some pictures from the deshima event, and it looked pretty neat, big room but not really crowded, so people could dance freely.
didn't go myself, but perhaps sometime in the future maybe?
>>
>>10771208
You are an idiot, but then again that was to be expected from a Tomotard!
>>
>>10771224
I was at domoki, there were some issues with how it was that everyone I talked to agreed with(like no water fountains or easy access to water). Bigger doesn't mean better, I'd rather go to a con 1/3rd the size of Domoki if it meant not having to wait in line 2 hours or show up at the crack of dawn to get in, with odd ticket checking, and weird convention layouts.

Anime con seems fine with the size and planning, Dokomi had a good rave but outside that most things simply fell flat.
>>
File: MECC.jpg (409 KB, 1400x1360)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
>>10771224
My guess is that's because most venues aren't large enough for most cons and if you get a large one you get something like Ahoy. If you've been to animecon 2019 you know why Ahoy is a bad venue for anime conventions.
It's common knowledge that they have trouble finding a new venue after they've left World Forum and are now trying to split their audience across two smaller cons. De Broodfabriek is notably smaller in scale with the lack of anime the manga library is also absent.

Venues will need at least one large auditorium for mainstage events, a large hall for the dealer room, another one for the gameroom, and several smaller rooms for workshops, lectures and anime. Trying to split one large hall into smaller areas doesn't work. It will all become one dark echoing cave with no sunlight.
And judging from wikipedia the venue will need to be able to hold somewhere between 8.000 to 10.000 people. Maybe even more if the con wants to expand.
I think the only one that's large enough and has all the requirements is MECC in Maastricht. But neither animecon nor abunai wants to move there from some reason.
Maybe Maastricht is to far away or they are afraid they will lose their visitors from the Randstad? I think the last argument is pretty bullshit since aninimecon is trying to split it's audience anyway.
>>
>>10771224
>Why can't we have cons like that here?
Because Germany is so much bigger than the Netherlands.
>>
>>10771502
>MECC in Maastricht
It's a nice location, I have been there several times for other festivals. But somehow especially people from the Randstad complain that it is to far away but will still travel to Almelo which is for me also a two hour drive by car, travel by train is basically the same.

Now if come from North Holland, Friesland or Groningen you might have a point, but Maastricht is filled with hotels, hostels and B&B. So that should not pose so much of a problem.
>>
>>10771504
Maybe the people who complain only visit for one day. In that case I can understand why traveling for 3 hours by train is too much.

Makes me wonder what people in Limburg and Groningen + Friesland think of conventions and travel distance.
Any anons who live quite a long distance from the big conventions? What do you consider too far or are you willing to travel any distance if it's for a convention you really like?
Or would you rather skip the big conventions for a more local con like Bagger in case of Groningen? (I don't think Limburg has any local cons besides Viencon, do they?)
>>
>>10771484
Yeah counting is hard, I know.
>>
>Nishicon taking place in Almelo
Fucking Almelo. Niggas don't even know. A twents boorish as fuck city where the simplefolk reside and people get shot at with crossbows. What a strange location to be holding an anime con. I'm excited!
>>
>>10771515
>people get shot at with crossbows
kek. too soon?

It used to be Animecon's old location before they moved to worldforum.
It may be my nostalgia tinted glasses but theaterhotel is a very comfy place. It's a beautiful looking place perfect for photoshoots and is has a nice bar.
Although that was back when animecon was only a quarter of the size it is now. I worry if it will be too overcrowded if they try to move back, even if they try to size down their target audience. There is also the problem of not enough hotelrooms and Almelo doesn't have many other accommodations besides huis van bewaring and a handfull of b&b's.
Few years ago van der Valk also caused a massive shitstorm by increasing the price for a hotelroom up to 500 euro. I doubt they've learned their lesson and will try to do the same trick again this year.
If you're planning to go to animecon classic in september, don't wait for official announcements and book a room ahead to avoid drama.
>>
>>10771521
>Although that was back when animecon was only a quarter of the size it is now. I worry if it will be too overcrowded if they try to move back, even if they try to size down their target audience.
They probably going to limit the amount of tickets being sold, and then sell out.
>>
AnimeCon in Rijswijk is a different beast compared to ACon Classic. Rijswijk is more aimed at Comiccon-audience, whereas ACC is a proper AnimeCon like the olden days.

Rijswijk also doesn't have as much space for lectures and stuff compared to Almelo, so those things might be an explanation for the apparent lack of workshops.

I'm looking forward to this weekend, and I will be in Almelo as well in September. It's been 4 years since a proper Animecon, I want my fix.
>>
>>10771484
then show me otherwise, cause right now you have done nothing other then complaining.

>>10771484
show me otherwise then, I'm really interesting to show how you come up with something else.
Now you're just shit talking.
>>
https://program.animecon.nl/

27 workshops
7 concerts
22 contests
9 events
2 cosplay compos

I tried only counting unique events but may have a few duplicates as some events are multiple days, so take these numbers with a grain of salt.
This is also not counting events that are open almost the entire weekend such as karaoke, gameroom etc.
Despite using a smaller venue there is still plenty of shit to do. Also has some 18+ events that are pretty unique to animecon such as whiskey tasting and 18+ sushi.

https://animecon.nl/regular/en/program/taste-japan
Also lots of stuff to eat. The "Japanse Poffertjes" guy is here as well just like almost every other convention.
I also see Momiji sushi. I've visited them once in Den Haag. They make some good food!

What are you all planning to do during animecon?
>>
>>10771942
>>>10771484 (You)
>then show me otherwise, cause right now you have done nothing other then complaining.
>>>10771484 (You)
>show me otherwise then, I'm really interesting to show how you come up with something else.
>Now you're just shit talking.
Your name is Brian if understood correctly, well listen up Brian!

Rijswijk also does not seems to have as much space for lectures and workshops, although there are enough things to do. They also don't show anime in Rijswijk. So why call it even an anime convention?

But they will make up for it in september when they return to Almelo after ten years.

The only one who is shit talking is u, desperately trying to discredit Acon who just like anyone else is struggling to find a new course in the this post-covid period, especially Acon after their Rotterdam convention from which I understand from some insiders was hell because one of the reasons was that the venue where absolute asshats.

Personally I think this split-up of events will be a smart move, a cheaper event at the start of summer while being more expensive as Tomocon they will also have a lot more to show for it and the location in Rijswijk makes it easier for the financially challenged fan.

Almelo could be expensive as hell, still the older fans, and remember there are fans who even visited the very first Acon in 1999, long before most of today's visitors where even born. Most of those are now in at middle age and have money to spend, and they will spend.

And I am looking forward to Almelo, good old days.
>>
>>10771723
>>10771964
Personally I'm not that big of a fan of the comiccon style approach.
While dealerrooms are nice I don't consider them the main factor of a convention. Especially when most vendors sell expired Japanese candy that can be bought for much cheaper at the local toko.
Like posted earlier I would have preferred to see them move to a bigger venue like MECC, but maybe that would be too much of a financial risk after the disaster that was Ahoy?
Let's just wait and see how Broodfabriek turns out and if animecon is really able to split it's audience. Maybe it will take a few editions before people start to learn the difference between regular and classic animecon. Animecon still has a reputation as the biggest anime convention in the Netherlands and attracts huge amounts of people, I don't think many people will understand that it's supposed to be two smaller cons now at first.
>>
>>10771961
Fair enough, thanks for responding in a proper manner, this actually is helpful you posted to see what might be interesting. Probably attend a few workshops, doing some competition and of course checking out the music.

Have fun there as well, if you going to.
>>
>>10771964
> Your name is Brian if understood correctly,
I think the real Brian already confirmed that that statement was false, so again, it's false.

> Rijswijk also does not seems to have as much space for lectures and workshops, although there are enough things to do.
From a earlier post, it looks like they have a nice range of things, and the program roster URL helps a lot to plan what to do, it's basically all I wanted.

> But they will make up for it in september when they return to Almelo after ten years.
We will see how that goes, not sure if I will go again, since I am just going because some people asked me to come.

> The only one who is shit talking is u, desperately trying to discredit Acon who just like anyone else is struggling to find a new course in the this post-covid period, especially Acon after their Rotterdam convention from which I understand from some insiders was hell because one of the reasons was that the venue where absolute asshats.
Shit talking about a question about workshops? No, you guys were just being asshats about a question regarding a former statement. Aside from that, someone earlier from you actually responded with information that is useful, compared to the shit talking that happened earlier.

> Personally I think this split-up of events will be a smart move, a cheaper event at the start of summer while being more expensive as Tomocon they will also have a lot more to show for it and the location in Rijswijk makes it easier for the financially challenged fan.
Probably you're right about that. Tomo is cheaper as they get cheaper location and have, from what I see, a bit less activity in their event, compared to the bigger conventions.

> Almelo could be expensive as hell
It is, and I'm one of those old school people from the beginning of the 2000s.

> And I am looking forward to Almelo, good old days.
Already am going to Nishi, is almost the same.
>>
>>10771984
>Already am going to Nishi, is almost the same.
My sides!

Nishi has the same venue yes but I've you've been to nishi you will notice that it's a completely different experience.
Nothing against the guys from nishi, I appreciate their effort but they really need to get their shit together because their organization is a mess.
Accidentally letting a bootleg seller in, a cheater somehow got through all the checks of the cosplay compo and almost won, their gameroom is empty as fuck, equipment doesn't always work, not enough gophers, site is offline half the time I try to visit and it still lists things from the cancelled 2020 version. And then there is also visitors wreaking havoc at the hotelrooms resulting into nishicon no longer being welcome and had to look for a different venue.
I still love nishi and still plan to visit, but if they want to become the next animecon or abunai (kek), they really need to fix their shit.
>>
>>10771989
I doubt they will ever get to the point of animecon and abunai quality. Nishi is nice in it's own way though, but I agree with you on most of the things you say, I've seen that stuff as well happening, but they at least try hard to give a proper convention. Remember, Abunai before it became now, also started at a study place in Hengelo if I'm correct, and it was considered also a "cheaper" option from Animecon, when only those 2 conventions were the choice. I think were spoiled now.
>>
>>10771990
It's mostly commercial conventions such as the comic cons and tomo spoiling convention scene.
Before it was just a bunch of weebs trying to set up their own convention and have some fun. Sure, it was a mess but it was fun, like some kind of student party.
Nowadays more people start to realize they can make money out of weebs and make their own con to make some quick bucks. They don't give a shit about the community or their hobbies, they just want their money.
>>
What's Nishicon like? This'll be my first time visiting. Care to share any experiences?
>>
>>10771994
It's that awkward place between tomo and abunai.
It wants to be the next big weekend con but it's still stuck in it's growing phase as a small-scale con mostly attracting young people. It does make a good stepping stone if you want to go from tomo to a slightly bigger con.
Like animecon and abunai it has cosplay compos and AMV contests, but it's not focused on international contests and mostly attract beginners. A good place to start if you want to participate in a competition for the first time. There are also a bunch of smaller activities such as gunpla, sushi workshops and it always has DDR, karaoke and a gameroom. Also unique to nishicon is the hentai voice-over if you enjoy getting secondhand embarrassment.
Similar atmosphere as abunai but smaller and a bit messier. And since it doesn't attract as many visitors or activities also feels a bit more relaxed. I often found myself in the lobby with nothing to do, just laying back and maybe have a small conversation with some other cosplayers there.
>>
Anyone wanna hit a bar later, looks like the bowling alley is open till 11. What do you all say LES GO BOWLING!
>>
any of you ever been to comiket?
>>
Guy here that you guys think is Brian (which I am not), been to Animecon in De Broodfabriek.
Checked out most of the things, except for the events and such, been too busy with competitions I joined.

I must say, Animecon did well for organizing, sometimes it was a little chaos here and there, but overall it was a nice feel to be back at conventions again, no matter which one it is.
As expected, Animecon hasn't changed since years, same things any convention does as well, just more broader set-up, which made it feel well organized. Lot's of gaming machines and games, made a very nice feel.

All the stuff said about Tomo can be pretty much justified that Animecon and Tomo have the same stuff to do, just that Tomo is the cheapskate convention, where Animecon and Abunai do it "professional", by asking almost 10 times more money from their guests. That said, I had a pleasant day, like everybody else probably did too. Weather was nice, but inside it was very humid and hot, people sweating a lot, but that is to be expected.
>>
CAN anyone here please stop talking to the person known as Teh Cirno.

I don't care how many cons he has been to or how "cool" he is I'm tired of seeing him. He's in my hotel and just playing music from the stalker series. I've seen him a few times before but did not know he is european. His cosplay isn't even good and just falling apart, I know he said he was from america but he needs to go away. I hate americans and their low standards, I can not believe he tried to give my boyfriend taco bell sauce.
>>
>>10771961
>The "Japanse Poffertjes" guy is here as well just like almost every other convention.
He's awesome. Gave me and my friend two plates of takoyaki for free. We didn't even ask for it.
>>
>>10772859
lol don't be like that
>>
I was the entire weekend at animecon, so wanted to share my two cents.

I do not recall a worst con experience.

Friday was quite decent, while it was warm, the fact that it wasn't overcrowded helped quite a lot. You could already see a lot of the bad planning wise with the food court being so small and the lines pretty much crossing the tables, but everything was manageable.
The game machines in the corridor forced you to go through a censory overload of neons and very loud noises if you wanted to go from the entrance to the dealer room/game room. The expo room was quite deserted (which provided some space to rest at least) and the schedules had errors on the times

Saturday was a living hell, I don't know if they put limit on the tickets, but when I mean crowded, i mean there was no place that wasn't full... With the exception of the expo hall which had the most sad use of space ever. All the sitting space which didn't belong to boardgame was full and people sitted on the ground. The food court was composed of all space being used for lining up and there was no sitting space to eat, so most people went to the expo hall to eat on the ground.

If you wanted to do any workshops, the makeshift event halls were both very hard to hear people, but also to full capacity.

Besides being full, the heat and lack of air circulation was also an issue, i am surprised i didn't see people fainting.

At some point people also realized that the only place which had breathing room was the game room, so that became busy as well.

I left early Saturday, since I was bored. Cannot say if deshima was good or not therefore.

Sunday i spent 2h, since there was a workshop i signed up. People were pretty dead but the dealers seem to have sold well.

From this experience, next time I will probably only book Friday, i do hope they either change the venue (and I do admit, miss the world forum a lot), or get better use of the space.

Oh, and for last, there was barely decorations!
>>
>>10773373
Valid points there, but to call it the worst?

The game machines in the corridor was not good. The flood of lights and sounds was really something.
Staff member told me they'll do that different next year.

> Overcrowded Saturday
The presenter on Sunday told the audience that they capped the maximum number of tickets for one day. He didn't say how much, but since max capacity of Broodfabriek is around 5000, I reckon it was called at 80 percent. Still quite crowded, indeed.

> Barely decorated
Are you blind? There was decoration everywhere. Sitting areas had little Sakura trees, the fences had large photos and green screens over them, and some special lighting as well.

This felt like AnimeCon. It also felt like there's a lot to improve, but given that it was the first edition Ina new venue, things could have been a lot worse.

I miss world forum as well, and I hope they'll return there at some point, but given the nature of this edition, they didn't do half bad.
>>
File: 9000 hours in mspaint.jpg (662 KB, 1600x1200)
662 KB
662 KB JPG
While I agree with the above mentioned points, I wouldn't call it the worst experience. It was at least better than Ahoy.

I liked the event plaza, probably because it was one of the more spacious areas with it's own lounge area. It also had two maid cafes where you could get food but with less queueing than the food court. Neko neko ni also had curry for like the same price as the other two curry places and almost no line!

But like other anons mentioned, the layout had a lot of problems. illustrated in pic related.

Green area: the arcades. One small corridor where everyone had to go through had all the arcades placed there. Result: one massive choke point.
Those at the arcade are blocking people who need to move to the next place, and those who are just walking are ruining the experience for those who want to game.
Horrible idea, please move the arcades to somewhere else next time!

Pink area: the toilets.
There are three toilets in the entire venue. One isn't listed on the map so I had to point it out in pink somewhere at the food court. This was the biggest and the easiest accessible so everyone went there. Resulting in overcrowded toilets.
The one at the dealer room and gameroom weren't as easy to acces.
Please make the toilets more accessible next year by changing the layout of the gameroom and dealerroom.

Red: mainstage.
Too small, also for the entrance you first have to go through the patria room and then enter the mainstage.
Please pick a bigger hall for the mainstage.

Also the food court was too small with not enough place to sit down and long lines making it difficult to move around there.
Also made karaoke difficult to acces. Also also I don't like having to listen to someone singing linkin park at the top of their longs while I'm eating.
Maybe choose a larger area for the food court? And move the karaoke.
>>
File: file.png (86 KB, 800x557)
86 KB
86 KB PNG
>>10773453
Smaller problems but not that much of a big deal:

Cosplayers putting on makeup at the toilets.
I need to take a piss and wash my hands! move!
This is something I encounter at almost every convention. Maybe make something like a makeup area at the dressing rooms?

Trash everywhere.
Trashcans quickly spilling over by all the trash at the food court. They would get full again so quickly and the employers of broodfabriek couldn't empty them quick enough.
Heard one poor guy had a mental breakdown that saturday.
I think this is mostly caused by workforce shortage.

I miss places like the mangalibrary. When I had nothing to do or felt tired I could just sit there and maybe read a manga.
There was one small lounge area but all the seats where taken pretty quickly and was in open space so not as relaxing.

I also heard some rumour about animecon wanting to rent out more space of Broodfabriek? That sounds rather strange since it looks like they've already rented out all the available space when looking at the floorplan.

Despite all these complaints I still had a great time.
I think a lot of these problems can easily be fixed and are mostly caused by this being the first time at this venue.
It's certainly better than Ahoy. While not as good as World Forum I think Broodfabriek is a pretty good place to settle.
>>
>>10773458
>I also heard some rumour about animecon wanting to rent out more space of Broodfabriek?
Acon rents the whole place.

And yes toilets is an issue and then this is also for all other festivals and markets being held there, some where not shown on the floorplan like the ones in the basement, but they are not impossible to find.

About the Arcade machines I heard from Hassan himself that it will be changed leaving more room in that corridor.

But things like the Manga Kissa, Brood fabriek is mainly 2 large halls, 2 theaters and the foodcourt with a garden. Where do you want MK?
>>
>>10772494
Raises hand, twice!
>>
>>10773466
I tried to puzzle but I guess moving the mainstage is difficult. If Bakkerij 2 could become the mainstage / dance hall that would be nice. More room for more visitors to see the cosplay shows. But that leaves not enough space for the dealer room and gameroom.
Hus zaal and Patria zaal could then be used for workshops and small events. Maybe use one for the manga library, gunpla and other quiet events.
Maybe gameroom, dealerroom and a handful of events and foodstands can all fit in bakkerij 1? Or move a few event rooms to bakkerij 2. Are those inflatable wall things only for bakkerij 1 or can they also be used for bakkerij 2?
Though maybe the mainstage would produce too much noise for workshops to be held in the same room even if you split the room with barricades? I remember that being a problem at ahoy.
I don't know, I'm not an expert on these things. Like you said the biggest problem seems to be that Broodfabriek is a bit too small and only has big rooms, but not a good big room for a mainstage.

Maybe at least move a few stands from the food court to the event hall. Event hall already has 2 maid cafes selling food so why not move half of the food court there as well?

>And yes toilets is an issue and then this is also for all other festivals and markets being held there, some where not shown on the floorplan like the ones in the basement, but they are not impossible to find.
Being difficult to find was not the problem. Being difficult to acces is.
One of the toilets is only accessible by going through the gameroom first and the other one is at the dealerroom. Although the latter got fixed by moving the barricades a bit, when the dealerroom closed that toilet was no longer accessible.
>>
>>10773453
There actually was another toilet there that most people didn't seem to be aware of. In the back on the right to the stage in the Patria Second Stage. One of the smaller ones, but so few people went to it that it was usually a lot nicer to use than any of the others.
>>
>>10773490
I was told that one was only for performers.
>>
>>10773492
Really? I saw people just use those normally throughout the event. There were no signs on it saying people couldn't access them, or anyone standing near them to block it off. The performers backstage area was on the opposite end of the room too, odd.
>>
>>10772859
Despite knowing this is obvious bait, I personally find the guy very cool. He offered me Taco Bell sauce too after we got to talk about American fast food chains. Supernice guy in general, apparently he might be visiting more often if his job allows him to. Definitely one of the nicer Americans I met on Dutch conventions.
Cirno if you see this, visit us more often, you're cool.
>>
>>10773448
Animecon can never return to the world forum. They burned that bridge badly. One of their boardmemebers insulted one of the WF top managers badly and they had to apologize. But this gave them the chance to break their 3 year contract early without paying a fine, because of "inreconsilable diffrences".There were also a lot of issues with payments.
To the point WF demanded full payment upfront or they wouldt let them open on friday. They said they were moving because they had reached the cap of wf but that was a lie. The last year in wf ended in the red badly.
Only options you have left are in verwegistan (Leewaarden/Maastricht) or something like Ahoy. But you saw that drama that became, and also heard they didnt leave ahoy in good terms.
Basicly Animecon had the perfect location and fucked themselves over.
>>
>>10773907
Those are heavy accusations towards Acon, do you care to back to those up with some valid evidence or do I have to trust you on this because of your blue eyes?
>>
>>10773913
Lets say their chair gets very chatty when he is drunk at the backstage parties.
>>
>>10773913
I'm not surprised about Acon's staff attitude. Seen enough of it online to know, and personally know some, that this could be pretty much a truth.
They aren't going back to the WF and Ahoy for a reason, which most possibly he told the truth.
>>
>>10773972
>They aren't going back to the WF and Ahoy for a reason, which most possibly he told the truth.
I don't see them going back to WF and Ahoy, but claiming that only Acon is at fault is a bit short, usually two parties are to blame. However they will return to THA after ten years, it seems that this relation between them is pretty cozy.

>Lets say their chair gets very chatty when he is drunk at the backstage parties.
Niels, because why not name him, he has been the Chair ever since 2003 I believe. And yes he can be pretty chatty when he is drunk. However I still like that guy.
>>
>>10773978

Being the chairman since 2003 has made him fucking conceited.
At one point he revised the entire con booklet by himself because honestly thinks his english is better than that of a native speaker.
The con booklet was full of dunglish, grammatical errors and spelling mistakes after his "correction"
>>
>>10773978
Thing is for THA they are THE biggest event of the year. Every room bookt every corner in use, THA likes that and bends the rules for them.
For WF, Ahoy , broodfabriek they are client numer 12846392 and they are poor, compared to other events held there.
Acon staff got very conceited at THA and expect other venues to treat them the same way. This is what caused problems with WF and Ahoy.
How do you mean we have to actually pay for extra services, we are a very special event in your portfolio :uwu:
>>
>>10774117
Ah yes, but you know extraordinary claim's require extraordinary evidence.

Indeed for larger venues you are customer 12846392, my impression is that it comes from two sides, we are Ahoy so gives us your money and will take care of everything and then don't.

Ahoy security is a good example of that, they where handed clear instruction on how to handle Acon visitors instead of that they opted for the how to herd hooligans approach which is disastrous when dealing with (autistic) weebs.

I am on the impression that some anons here are putting the blame solely on Acon, which is certainly not the case, especially not when the Forum and Ahoy are involved.
>>
>>10774128
Friend of mine worked at a event transportation company before losing his job due to the pandemic. Had to go to the world forum a few times and chatted with the staff. They told him they liked animecon as an event, but they hated the staff and their way of doing things.
>>
>>10774147
I can completely understand this. The guests are great at conventions but the organizers are all meh.

I have volunteerd at every dutch convention and all of their organizers suck as people. Most are high and mighty and have this "be glad we give you the honour of being allowed to volunteer for us".
Animecon used to be good for their volunteers, last couple of years at world forum were just bad for crew. I got denied water in the backstage , because the things there were for the cosplayers.
Got denied a dinner ticket for buildup at Abunai because the organizer found "I had not done enough" even though I showed up at 9am and had been working non-stop. But she hadn't "seen" me do anything. I just went f-u and had dinner at the restaurant. Last time I did buildup at abunai.
Nishicon treat volunteers very wel but the organisation itself is just bad.
Then you have bygone events like chibicon they were ok but I was a lot younger back then and found a ticket enough compensation for 20+ hours of work.

What really is kinda sad is seeing people that were super nice and friendly become all high and mighty once they can wear another color of shirt. All of a sudden they are better than you.
Both Animecon and Abunai need to be served a big dish of respect your volunteers. You can organize the best party ever without the footpeople you are screwed.
>>
>>10774153
That is the thing I've noticed over time.
I'm from way when Abunai was still at Hengelo/Alemo student grounds. It was all more social, people didn't felt like that as you explained (high and mighty). That has changed when the conventions went more and more commercial and bigger, they tend to change attitudes sadly. If you ask a royal entrance fee, then you're expected to deal correctly and professionally more then some cheap convention like Tomo.
Chibicon is in my opinion, still the best involved convention I've been with, same for Tsunacon, where you were handled as well as a person, and not just a number that could be thrown away any time if they feel like it.
>>
But both Chibicon and Tsunacon went the way of the Dodo. Keeping your convention small and adorable is a noble goal but (nearly) impossible because the prices of services and venues required for organising a convention go up every year, especially now with high inflation we have at the moment and a uncertain future when it comes to that.

A new kid on the block is https://www.twitchcon.com/amsterdam-2022/ being held at the RAI. A two day ticket will cost you 105 euro's for two days from 10:00-19:00.
>>
>>10774184
I dont see twitchcon as a new kid on our block. Its more Firstlook kinda crowd.
I expect it to as sensory overload/loud with booby streamers to sell tickets.
I mean if that floats your boat, go right ahead.
>>
>>10774180
Abunai used to be held at Enschede, on the University campus. My alma matter. They did what was it 1-2 years in Zwolle before moving to Animecons old spot the Koningshof. Where they decided this is big enough for us.

>>10774184
Becomming bigger ,while still being 100% reliant on vulunteers doesnt mean you get to act shitty towards them.
Havent you noticed all the "old" gophers have stopped volunteering and they can't find decent people for shit.

Only reason why animecon still exists is because they have board memeber with deep pockets who have floated the account for years.
I dont know about abunai, but for animecon its a know fact that they have been struggeling financially for years. Like since Almelo times. If you dont belive me pick up the old con books and actually read their chairs rambelings in the first paragraph.
Also how often they couldnt assert that they were holding a new event during the closing, because of finances.

Also this is zero speculation but a widely know fact
>>
>>10774190
>Also this is zero speculation but a widely know fact
No only speculations, there are no facts to show unless you actually can show us their balance-books. A rambling opinion is still not a fact.
>>
>>10774184
Chibicon quit cause there was not enough people that want to help it grow. Staff eventually decided to drop, and from what I heard, 2 guys split up, so the convention died cause of a difference in future ideas, not because of money.
Tsunacon I think had to do with the same issue, staff members that had internal problems.
>>
>>10774196
There are more people who know about this then you think.
It's a fact, not speculation, sadly.
We all like Animecon and Abunaicon, but people here try to wave away all the bad vibes both conventions have made over time....
>>
>>10773560
Jej, as soon as I saw him mention Netherlands, i knew it was time to check this thread. I expect posts in the coming days in the Scandinavia thread, with Desucon coming up. (Also there's a fairly decent chance he'll see it, since he used to be a mod here)
>>
>>10774196
Lets say sharing more would out who I am.
>>
>>10774509
>Lets say sharing more would out who I am.
Which is your right! However, just saying so doesn't make it a fact without evidence to back it up. Let's not forget that this is 4-chan, a toxic cesspit of people with axes to grind on other people and organisations.
>>
>>10774524
If people are regularly grinding axes for you. You might be the problem.
The fact that both animecon and abunai have a big pool of ex-staffmember who hate them is their own fault.
>>
>>10774524
I mean even their PAID crew member quit on Sunday. That was the big ruckus that went down with a red shirt.
>>
>>10774190
Wait until you volunteer for bog commercial ones like DCC and Japan lights and food festival.

Those guys think they're everything because they rake in a lot of money and command you around constantly and nitpick about everything, even if your setup is technically better and you deliver extras. Also the arrogance, they'll continuously tell you they are the "experts" here and you should learn from them and not the other way around! (Even though most of them don't even know you have to pull the tape instead of the cables when undoing them otherwise it's going to be a long night).
>>
world forum was like asking money for everything. every year they broke promises. Besides that the fanbase demanded a bigger venue .. so they did. Ahoy was much worse. ive heard they milked animecon dry. lied about everything, heck even the internet costed more then 10k. charged for everything extra. extra water costed more then gold. not to speak about the staff of ahoy. they were rude to visitor and animecon crew. laughed at cosplayers. mistreated everyone badly. ahoy sucked donky dick. and the the visitors who demanded bigger were nowere to be found..
>>
>>10774606

They needed another venue because they breached the contract with world forum, then decided they wanted a bigger venue as well.
Also, it's not strange WF wanted more money because the staff went into the congress rooms to drink all the champagne.
>>
>>10774706
>because the staff went into the congress rooms to drink all the champagne

Wait what ?
This is news to me, and if true, that's awful behavior...
>>
>>10774706
>Also, it's not strange WF wanted more money because the staff went into the congress rooms to drink all the champagne.
The better bullshit story I guess!
>>
>>10774721
>>10774740

It was animecon staff that brought this out in the open.
>>
>>10774721
Sorry this is a blantant lie.

Who and where i am quite interested to know. Seeing as I can find out of its true or not.
They wanted more money because the shitton of mess made in diffrent areas.
>>
>>10774746
>It was animecon staff that brought this out in the open.
Sure whatever man!
>>
>>10774746
Will fact check this. Know atleast half the staff.
>>
>>10774706

> Champagne
Are you aware of the phrase "full of shit"? Because this is right up there with the other bizarre and preposterous allegations in here.

Also, animecon's chair is also known for exaggeration, so I reckon at least half of what he says it's a bit padded for extra drama.

As for the rest of the stories regarding any con chair or higher ups: Hanlon's razor can be applied at 99% of those cases. "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
>>
All the weird questionable drama and horror stories aside, animecon at world forum already had quite some conflicts so it was only a matter of time before animecon would leave WF for a different venue.
Animecon was far from the only event at world forum. Big companies would also rent the venue for a congress, but would usually host it during weekdays. Sometimes their event would prolong for a bit causing conflicts with animecon that wants to start building things at thursday. Or maybe animecon would take too long with taking down everything on the monday after the con.
Either way, I think scheduling conflicts may have been the biggest reason for animecon to leave world forum.
>>
hah i think not. it was WF who broke contract every year. on multiple reasons. first it was like contract breach for the food stands .. second it was something with the floors. bullshit story that they were new and acon had to pay every scratch they made. was told at the beginning of the event .. and that chappagne story is just bullshit storys from salty old crew members who only helped because free ticket and play bossy bossy lots of old crew members were there for personal gain. not to make acon great. horrible people.

Abunai had the same problems. to much crew members who only got a hard dick and did nothing to improve the event. Tomo is like multiply those problems. full core staff who sit there for personal gain. even Red dot commerce is a big fat lie . its not a partner. Its the same company. you cant do that if you are a non proffit organisation
>>
>>10774964
Ego Hard dick energy are all the boardmembers of all 3. Sorry, the Abunai or Animecon board are not one grain better.
All for the feeling of being important.
Gustes are just there to pay for their ego.
>>
>>10774968
It seems that you are pretty pissed, and it has nothing to do with /cgl/ or cosplay in general. So go vent your anger and displeasement somewhere else.
>>
indeed. worked for both abu and acon and tomo als floor crew/ gopher. acon and abu have their bad board members. but most of them have their heart on the right place.

its the crew below the core that have ego hard dick energy. the core from both cons are always cleaning up the mess..

Tomo is donkey dick hateful bullcrap shit. they are only there for themself. they dont care about the visitor or other conventions. they even wont come to the anigenda . a group of people form every con in the NL. just for talkings and planning wat is the best everyone. so that they all can exist peacefully. Tomo did not like the idea to peacefully coexist. they are only there to fuck other conventions.
even viencon have the best intentions with the other cons. and they arnt even a real con.. swimsuit con would be a better name
>>
>>10774984
>even viencon have the best intentions with the other cons. and they arnt even a real con.. swimsuit con would be a better name

which reminds me to make serious efforts to get in decent shape again. Like I tried for the last half year and fail...
>>
>>10774974
Sorry, but half of this board is about conventions and organisations, then cosplay. Maybe you should stop saying stuff that isn't true.
>>
>>10774984
>Tomo is donkey dick hateful bullcrap shit
It is not, but keep on believing that. You must be really salty.

>they are only there for themself.
All the conventions are like that now. abu, animecon, it is the same.

>they even wont come to the anigenda
There is more to this story that you leaving out. Tomo got accused of many stuff, but they never could back it up, so they harassed the staff of Tomo, thus leaving anigenda. Do not try and twist it around anything but that.

>Tomo did not like the idea to peacefully coexist. they are only there to fuck other conventions.
Bold statement without any truth to it.
Tomo does a lot of stuff better then abu or animecon, the whole bootleg stuff is hilariously bad, since acon and abu think they can just kick anybody out their convention, but there are laws against that, sad but true. You probably forgot the time abu/acon organized their event at the same time as a certain tomo event that was planned way earlier, claiming they did not know (yah, right...)

All conventions are there for their own gain, but the "source" of the conventions was to organize a event for guests, but that ship has long gone sailing... for all conventions...
>>
>>10775337
>>
https://media.tenor.com/images/827ff61a93b4eaebe9961b1326a8ccd7/tenor.gif
>>
File: oh-no-anyway.gif (1.29 MB, 498x247)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB GIF
>>10775347
>>
>>10775337
Not this again. All your claims were utterly refuted many, many threads ago. Please shut up about it, let it rest, and go on with your miserable life..

Unless you can back things up with laws and stuff. Like that pitiful plush peddler from Zwolle, who is adamant that what fakeissad does is against TEH LAW, but he can't say which law.

Beep! You lose!
>>
>>10775354
>All your claims were utterly refuted many, many threads ago.
No they were not, since this was purely assumptions from a other party.

>Please shut up
Maybe, just maybe, you should follow your own "tip". hint hint..

>Unless you can back things up with laws and stuff.
I did, I wactually contacted lawyers about this, compared to you guys dumping your own opinions and thoughts about this. So, you can talk all you want about how it's not true, that's yours and other peoples bubble talking.

>Beep! You lose!
Your imagination goes a long way.
>>
Go away Mark, you lost long ago!
>>
>>10775368
Sorry, Mark is too busy doing useful work then discussing with the kids here, so you'll have to do with me :)
>>
>>10775365
>I did, I wactually contacted lawyers about this, compared to you guys dumping your own opinions and thoughts about this. So, you can talk all you want about how it's not true, that's yours and other peoples bubble talking.

So? Then enlighten us. Where in Dutch law does it say that you can't refuse dealers who sell counterfeit merchandise, (which in fact is prohibited by law, article 337, iirc, I'm outside in the sun having a blast), which can be determined by any expert in the field.

In all those years of visiting convention's, no dealer has ever successfully countered the argument that what they sell isn't official merchandise. None.
The only reason Tomo keeps on keeping on, is due to the fact that they let themselves be bullied.

So put your money where your mouth is, or go play in traffic.
>>
>>10775376
Again, you're taking this wrong as per usual.
Who says something is counterfeit and what isn't ? You guys keep saying it's always 100% counterfeit, but YOU cannot know that unless you know exactly what is. Based on the fact that if you kick someone out on false presumptions, could put a liable lawsuit on your ass, that was the crux of the whole story, but you people kept on trying to saying that everybody at the conventions knows exactly when that's the case. If you want to kick someone out without any 100% certainty that he is selling counterfeit (you need someone that can 100% confirm this, which goes through the customs department), you'll have a problem at the end of the rope. This almost happened in the case with Tomo. So, you tell me how wrong I am, since this was confirmed by a couple of law firms in the Netherlands.

So, put your money back into your own pocket, and don't come with bullshit statements that are not exact reality.
>>
>>10775376
Just forgot some point on your article 337.
It states as well, you must be able to provide evidence that the person is knowingly and intentionally selling these products. If you cannot (and they will hardly tell you they know it's counterfeit/bootleg, for obvious reasons) provide this in court, you'll have a big problem on your hands. So you can throw around with this all you want, but you need to be able to provide these evidence in order to make your point, any worth in court.
>>
Ohw, this one again...
every 2 years, or so, this topic comes up... and every time multiple laws, court cases and theses are there to show that not only can the events throw out bootleg dealers, they actually must.

And every time it comes down to "but in court you must prove it," and no bootleg seller has ever taken an organisation to court over this. Quite logical of course, since then the object in question will be examined and the license holder may get involved to not only confirm it is a bootleg, but actually follow up on it.

so, can we skip to the end with the rant attacking people personally again?
>>
>>10775397
>every 2 years, or so, this topic comes up.
Make that every some months when people talking about it themselves, don't blame it on me when I'm pointing out the flaws.

>and every time multiple laws, court cases and theses are there to show that not only can the events throw out bootleg dealers, they actually must.
Can you show me some court cases where a convention won a case against a bootleg seller? There is non, since they got settled out of court, know your facts.

>And every time it comes down to "but in court you must prove it," and no bootleg seller has ever taken an organisation to court over this.
Because it was settled out of court, most conventions cannot even afford a court case...

>Quite logical of course, since then the object in question will be examined and the license holder may get involved to not only confirm it is a bootleg, but actually follow up on it.
There have been cases where eventually a follow up (not with a court case, just a company verifying what they sold was indeed legit) was done with a company, who verified what the guy sold, which was first considered possible bootleg, was completely legit. So yeah, again, you need to be absolutely sure something is bootleg, or you could be liable for a lawsuit, there is no buts, it's just that.

>so, can we skip to the end with the rant attacking people personally again?

I totally agree with you, I wasn't attacking anybody personally, until some rando posted stuff that was absolutely personally focused, not that I am not surprised in the least on this board, since it happens very often. That and the "You must be Brian" or "You must be Mark" remarks, quiet entertaining, but just shows how much people making assumptions out of the thin air.
>>
>>10775421

Ah, now we end up making imaginary settlements. Please tell me which companies and which conventions. Or are these settlements made in the champagne-storming convention halls?

There have been court cases where martkhalls are responsible to provide minimal oversight and are allowed, but not expected to have more clear oversight, as long as it doesn't hinder the legitimate business.
You know this very well by now, don't pretend this hasn't been pointed out before. You may choose to willingly ignore it, but that is on you, not on the law and rules conventions follow.

So, just tell us which conventions and which dealer. Considering that every legit convention, so not tomo, is keeping their policies, it smells like you pull it out of your ass. Especially since there has barely been a convention in the last few years.

And I advise you to be very sure since quite a few people on this board know what happens at the legit conventions.

The typical reply is an "you should know it yourself," "do your own research," or some way to avoid providing proof, but feel free to surprise us.
>>
seeing how people are reacting to the "champagne story"
I'm starting to think this must be true.
>>
>>10775444
>So, just tell us which conventions and which dealer.

All I say about is that a seller was selling swords, and was said to be selling bootlegs, which in the end it wasn't true.
So basically, a convention crew/staff member made that up, and got the seller kicked off.
They haven't done a lawsuit, since they were not selling much on that convention anyhow compared to other places.
You're also just responding like a triggered kid going nuts over some pointers, anyway, this is probably the last thing I will put my time at, since it's pretty obvious you don't believe anything other people say, except your own imagination.

As someone already said before:
>so, can we skip to the end with the rant attacking people personally again?

Let's do that, and you can keep on believing whatever you like. Have a nice evening :)
>>
>>10775492
could be damage control the way they responding. anyway they are just speculations and rumors at this point.
>>
>>10775524
Well, the personal insults are there, the lack of proof or names are there. The repetition of history has been served. Try again in another two years.
>>
>>10775552
>the personal insults are there
I noticed people personally attacking me yes, good observation.

>the lack of proof or names are there
Haven't seen you giving any proof either, so join the party :)

>The repetition of history has been served.
Repetition of ignorant people, I wasn't expecting any better, you neither I notice.

>Try again in another two years.
What part about a few months ago didn't you read before? Oh wait, you don't read stuff in the past I guess..
Have a nice day !
>>
Can you two please just get a room and ragefuck already? Even romcom animes don't take this long...
>>
>>10775368
Mark can't speak English.
>>
>>10774989
Depending on your goal (getting big, losing fat, other goals specifically) I do recommend sit-ups, squads and push-ups daily. Try to do sets of 10-25 and a total of somewhere between 30 and 200 total, depending on your goal. Im working towards 200 daily because I want to be the buffest maid on the floor and I'm making decent progress. If getting into shape is losing fat for you, cut down on calorie intake and do cardio. If you are dutch, just take the bike to work or uni and cut out any soda or high calorie food, no more snacks, perhaps even only eating specific times.
>>
>>10775570
I've stopped for quiet a while, but people try to keep it up every time I try to put a end to it.
Also, you do know that asking to stop, is just a trigger to keep on going, I would suggest just not to post anything at all, this way all parties got the hint it's done and over.
Also, romcom's take longer, cause sequels and seasons ;)
>>
File: gse_multipart31838.jpg (22 KB, 189x360)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Does anyone know how to request a new song to be added to the karaoke list of Soramimi?
>>
>>10776147
Is that still even alive?
The software is like, outdated as hell compared to the other karaoke teams...
If I remember the software hasn't been updated since 2005 Windows 2000/XP time, I'm surprised it's still being used at all...
>>
>>10776255
As long as it works I don't see any problem using old software.
As a visitor I've never experienced any trouble with soramimi. Karaoke is a blast, especially at the contests and the people providing it are friendly.
Soramimi is also the only karaoke partner out of the 3 options that has the most up to date anime songs so that's a big plus for me. I just wish they had more retro anime songs though.
>>
>>10776283
I concur, they are behind a lot of songs, compared to a certain other project.
I've heard enough about fights with the Soramimi karaoke organizer, where it came to even a fist fight cause of unfair competition, but that's just from hear and saying, wasn't there myself.
It works sure, in a VM with Windows XP at 32 bits, cause the broken DivX wouldn't work on recent OS anymore.
The person who actually developed the software, was surprised it was even used still.
>>
>>10776283
Sorry to be that guy but I do not prefer Soramimi at all. I know that they're mostly catered towards Animeconventions and that they provide animesongs but one of the charms of the karaoke is the inclusion of non Anime/Japanese songs. Every time I visit Soramimi I feel like they have a huge lack in their international library. I respect the fact that they might have up to date animesongs but the fact that they refuse to add "normie" music or Kpop is kind of a bummer. I really hope they consider having more non-anime songs in their library. The extra variety will really add to the experience.
>>
>>10776283
>As long as it works I don't see any problem using old software.

Except that it doesn't. Pre-pandemic at abunai it crashed 4 times over yhe weekend. I brought it up at the feedback panel and all the staff said was "it crashed only 4 times, that's not that much right?" Really?!!!

I also despise that they search songs on the same screen you're singing from. it's super distracting.
>>
>>10776295
>>10776425
I've seen several stores and cinemas use windows xp or sometimes even older, so I don't look surprised at stuff like outdated tech being used for a specific purpose.
If it crashes then that sounds worrying. Certainly something they should look into. No idea if it's caused by the outdated software or something else.
I remember one time during AMV contests when Abunai was held in the middle of a heat wave. The hardware couldn't endure the heat and crashed several times.
Crashing 0 times is still something they should aim for.

>>10776301
I'm too much of a weeb that most of the songs I know are nipponese cartoon songs. The only songs I really miss are the meme songs such as Rickroll or Bohemian Rhapsody.

The best karaoke software would be Joysound as they have both normie songs and anime songs, but up-to-date as retro ones. But on the switch their entire interface is in Japanese and except for the English songs all the songs are only in hiragana. Their tech they use for their booths supports English but I have no idea how to get those and probably have some complicated licences or something as Japan is rather strict with those.
>>
>>10776432
>If it crashes then that sounds worrying. Certainly something they should look into. No idea if it's caused by the outdated software or something else.

It is. Soramimi is written originally for Windows 98, the original programmer left around 2005 and since then they're stuck with the same old binary. The guy running it at abu also doesn't want to release the source code so it's not gonna be fixed anytime soon.

>The best karaoke software would be Joysound as they have both normie songs and anime songs, but up-to-date as retro ones. But on the switch their entire interface is in Japanese and except for the English songs all the songs are only in hiragana.

Yeah it's a bit much to ask for people to go full hiragana. I know the tomo guys use this opensource project:
https://github.com/performous

But there are many other good programs out there like ultrastar deluxe (which mimicks singstar)
https://github.com/UltraStar-Deluxe/USDX

And this thing which is the closest you can get to joysound/livedam but it doesn't have a lot of songs going around on the internet.
https://github.com/marcan/blitzloop

I think the most sustainable option is to ditch soramimi and convert the library to something more modern and opensource. Then it can be maintained even if the original programmer leaves.
>>
>>10776438
Does Asgard Sings also use the same software?

http://sorawiki.maxworks.nl/index.php/Main_Page
I don't really know how Soramimi works. The library is still being updated.
But if nobody knows how the software really works and nobody dares to touch it, leading to bugs nobody is able to fix, then yeah that sounds like a problem.
Maybe like you said they should make a new karaoke software.

My ideal karaoke would be one with English and/or Dutch support, has all the most recent anime songs, popular normie songs and maybe some piano roll/ note guide.
>>
Love Asgard SIngs! they were great at animecon! Such a crowd pleaser !

also a great way to create background music for the terrace. normally i don't like the karaoke ... to much noise and will not everybody can sing haha

They were much better then the karaoke crap from Ahoy. hopefully they come to Animecon Classic!
>>
>>10776441
>Does Asgard Sings also use the same software?
Yes. He is also one of the devs.
>>
>>10776472
For performous I mean. Soramimi is close to death.

I shouldn't create new software though, just extend an opensource project. Also most songs on the net are in lyrc or ultrastar formats
>>
>>10776432
>No idea if it's caused by the outdated software or something else.
The person who worked on that source code, quit working on it a looooong time ago, since a lot of other karaoke software came out at that time, so it wasn't any priority for him to fix the bugs anyhow. There are a couple of tools already which converts over the old karaoke files from Soramimi to the others, but the other way around, there is not, so it's worrying indeed.

>Crashing 0 times is still something they should aim for.
That won't be happening anytime soon with Soramimi, the source code is gone anyway, so it either needs to be reversed engineered, or stick to the crashy system.

>I've seen several stores and cinemas use windows xp or sometimes even older, so I don't look surprised at stuff like outdated tech being used for a specific purpose.
True, but eventually the software has done it's purpose, and newer software can do it much, much better and more efficient, then it's more a question how much work it is to switch. I've worked with Soramimi at the beginning of when it was developed on, the syntax of the karaoke files aren't that hard to be converted over to the newer software available though.
>>
>>10776438
>The guy running it at abu also doesn't want to release the source code so it's not gonna be fixed anytime soon.
He doesn't has the source code, so that's never going to be fixed anyhow.
>>
>>10776441
>The library is still being updated.
Last update was at end of june of 2020, it's pretty behind.
>>
>>10776533
>There are a couple of tools already which converts over the old karaoke files from Soramimi to the others, but the other way around, there is not, so it's worrying indeed.

> the syntax of the karaoke files aren't that hard to be converted over to the newer software available though.

Soramimi uses a dialect of lyrc (which stepmania also supports to add karaoke text to your ddr song)

The differenceis that soramimi uses:

[02:04:14] text [02:04:14]

Whilst the lyrc standard is

[02:04.14] text [02:04.14]

So you just change a standard lyrc parser to also accept colons instead of dots for the millisecond separator and off you go

In fact performous' composer tool can convert between soramimi, midi and ultrastar formats with ease.
https://github.com/performous/composer
>>
>>10776536
I wonder though, how come the soramimi site is hosted on some sub domain of some .nl domain name, when there is soramimi.nl ?
Is this some kind of strange change ?
>>
>>10777450
Someone bought the domain name and now it links to performous.
>>
>>10777490
But, Soramimi's Twitter still says soramimi.nl ...
How come they didn't change that, kind of a red buzzer there..
>>
>>10777888
According to waybackmachine, the domain expired somewhere in 2019 and sometime between june 2021 and now someone bought the domain name and linked it to performous.
>>
>>10777901
Checked that as well, no website was being hosted, just a plesk default page...
Still, it seems like Soramimi is not being maintained properly as it should though.
At least the domain is still being used now for karaoke, not just Soramimi anymore.
>>
>>10777905
I guess soramimi really is a relic of the past. Once the karaoke even host for every con despite it's flaws, but now most of the people probably graduated or became family men or something and is now on life support.
They still are listed on Abunai's website, so they are still begin alive. Hope they at least have the most recent anime songs available since that is their biggest advantage they have over the other karaoke hosts.
I hope Soramimi won't go away. Maybe if they upgrade to a new software? Or of the other karaoke groups put more effort into their anisongs.
>>
>>10777906
>Hope they at least have the most recent anime songs available since that is their biggest advantage they have over the other karaoke hosts.

That advantage is already long ago reached.
Both have almost the same options, but the other one more as it has also non-Asian related songs, so not sure if you can call that a advantage at all...

>Maybe if they upgrade to a new software?

They won't be using Performous any time soon, as Max (the owner) is a difficult person to deal with.
Soramimi source code was never given to him or anybody else, and I doubt Ryo (the guy who made the software) has it still somewhere.

>Or of the other karaoke groups put more effort into their anisongs.

Uhhh, most, if not all songs of Soramimi has been available on other karaoke groups for quiet some time now.
>>
>>10777916
>quiet some time
*quite

I'm mostly talking about the up-to-date anisongs. If there is an anime still airing while a con is being held, people will request the opening or ending song of that specific anime. If it's only being added long after the con is over, people will have long forgotten about that anime by the time the next edition is being held and move on to the next flavor of the month.
That's something that I'm missing at the other karaoke hosts. They do have a lot of normie songs, but not newest hottest FotM anime songs. And for a convention who's audience is mostly weebs that's very important.
Their software may be running on their grandma's old pc and written in COBOL, at least their anisongs are up to date.
>>
>>10777919
>Their software may be running on their grandma's old pc and written in COBOL, at least their anisongs are up to date.

If you time the song you want yourself and send it to any of the karaoke groups they'll happily add it.
>>
>>10777923
Sounds like a good idea.
Do you have any tutorials?
>>
>>10777924
Any ultrastar-txt tutorial will do I guess.
>>
>>10776301
You are the scourge of cons. Sing your cringe memes and normie shit at home and leave us to enjoy the weeb songs we're coming to an anime convention for.
>>
>>10777928
Shouldn't all visitors being accomodated?
Ya know? Inclusion? Openness? Or is the cosplay community becoming some sort of toxic esports group full of elitism?
>>
>>10777919
I kind of disagree with you though.
Most weebs request normie songs, only a handful of people want the latest songs, but overall, those are not much.
Also, a ton of old songs are requested mostly like Pokemon and such.
>>
>>10777928
You're the kind of toxic people that others want to avoid.
Keep your hateful message in your throat, and let people sing whatever they like.
>>
>>10777949
I'm all for being inclusive and all that, but we shouldn't be doing things like holding a lego building competition at an anime convention so people who visit legoworld would feel more welcome.
The target audience has always been people who are interested in Japanese pop culture like anime and cosplay. The events and workshops should also cater towards that crowd. Sure sometimes you spot superhero cosplayers or even my little pony among the crowd, but even they have some interest in anime or else they wouldn't visit it in the first place.
Why would someone go to an anime convention like for example animecon with anime in the title and then complain that there's too much anime music at the karaoke list and not enough mainstream music?
Asgardsings has a wide selection of songs, both anime and mainstream, and yet during karaoke most of the mainstream songs I've heard were memesongs such as All Star or Linkin Park.
It's all made for a specific niche audience you know? You also won't hear ModeltreinExpo say "but what about those who don't like trains?".
If you want a con that's more general audience then DCC is more up your alley
>>
>>10777957
You're like saying that DDR should only contain Japanese music songs, which is factual not true.
DDR has become popular BECAUSE it doesn't have only Japanese songs to it.
You know what Japanese people sing at Karaoke bars in Japan ? English songs...
No, this is purely discriminating people who like to sing or do something else, then only stereo-typical Japanese stuff.
You're not for all inclusive, since you're basically barricading that thing...
Nice try though, but nobody is falling for it.
>>
>>10777960
>You know what Japanese people sing at Karaoke bars in Japan ? English songs...

Went to a karaoke bar in kyoto, can confirm the top 100 songs were English golden oldies.

The concept "karaoke", singing your heart out whilst reading from a screen, is already Japanese enough. And the hosts of the karaoke mostly only care about the visitors. They build a database and it's up to the visitors to create a playlist from that database. So if you've got only weebs, shouldn't the playlist automatically fill up with weeb songs anyway?

The fact that people are choosing different songs, means not all attendees are hardcore weebs and you're accommodating those visitors by having it in the database. It's up to the visitors to use it or ignore it. So dictating what can and can't be sung is just idiotic.
>>
>>10777960
>You know what Japanese people sing at Karaoke bars in Japan ? English songs...
https://www.joysound.com/web/karaoke/ranking/all
According to Joysound, it's mixture of mostly J-pop and some anisongs. Sometimes you spot a Disney song in the list but that's mostly when there's a new movie released.
>>
This heated discussion makes me rather curious.
Just a general question for anons in this thread: What songs do you usually request at karaoke?
>>
>>10777964
Those rankings are daily weekly and monthly so they're subject to change.

Usually you can see a local ranking for that particular location in your karaoke remote.

Anyhow pre-pandemic I went to this one:
Karaoke number nine, which is in the center of a neighborhood to the east of the imperial Palace in Kyoto (5streets away from horikawa)

And back then a lot of English stuff was in the local ranking, and it doesn't look like it's a bar a lot of foreigners go to.

>>10777965
I really like inochi no tomoshibi from erina kouga (Japanese smash op) and hikaru nara from Goose house
But I also love to do a marathon of "fout" stuff different languages, so O-zone, the ketchup song, some tarkan
>>
>>10777964
Here's the "overseas music" ranking from liveDAM:

https://www.clubdam.com/genre/foreign/#ranking-weekly

They offer it for those who want it.
>>
>>10777965.
>Just a general question for anons in this thread: What songs do you usually request at karaoke?
Dutch Sailor Moon intro, maximum volume. I don't like karaoke, but this song is the one to get me to sing. And by sing I mean hurt everyone's ears.
>>
>>10777965
Jam Project - Storm
Kusumi Koharu - Balalaika
Monoral - Kiri (if I'm prepared to lose my voice)
>>
>>10777962
> The concept "karaoke", singing your heart out whilst reading from a screen, is already Japanese enough. And the hosts of the karaoke mostly only care about the visitors. They build a database and it's up to the visitors to create a playlist from that database

As for Asgard Sings! this hits it spot on. Karaoke is about having fun with your friends while doing some singing. Everyone at the convention can participate and request the song they want to sing. If we don't have a song we'll try to look it up online and try to have it added at the next convention.

Creating songs (from scratch) is a whole different matter though. Timing, synchronizing and chopping up the lyrics into syllables can easily take up to 8 hours per song especially in a language you're not fluent in.

That being said though, our database is constantly updating with roughly 3-5 songs added each week. Do note: these are not just anime songs as we provide a whole lot of other genres as well.

If people want to help out making songs they're more than welcome to give it a try. If you have any questions in regards to that you know where to find me
>>
>>10776441
> Does Asgard Sings also use the same software?

As mentioned before Asgard Sings! uses the ultrastar format within the open source project Performous (https://github.com/performous/performous)

What we show on the conventions is just one side of what Performous can do. Performous is a mix between SingStar, Guitar Hero / Band and DDR. All these modes are available within the game granted that you have the specific songfiles dedicated to those different games.

> My ideal karaoke would be one with English and/or Dutch support, has all the most recent anime songs, popular normie songs and maybe some piano roll/ note guide.

Performous is available in different languages, but you do have to provide the songs. Within the past 16 years i've collected a lot of songs starting of with just one SingStar cd containing 20 songs of ABBA. Now the database consists of about 18000 songs. There are many great sources out there and a quick google search will get you very far into collecting your own collection of songs.

On anime conventions we don't show the notegraph since that 'mode' is tight to scores based on how well you sing into your microphone just like SingStar. The scoring mechanism works alright, but we don't want to interrupt the viewing/listening audience with a score view from someone who just sung as it's not relevant to them.
Instead of this we do share a list of upcoming songs on the screen after a song is played. This is way more useful and speeds up the process of changing of singers.

Aside from that a lot of songs we have are imported from sources like Soramimi. These don't include note frequency info and thus we cannot auto-determine where on the notescale the notes need to be placed. In this case Performous does a best effort and places all the notes on one single frequency spaced out according to the timings the Soramimi files had in the LRC format. If we would show this it wouldn't make sense to the singer.
>>
>>10777957
> Asgardsings has a wide selection of songs, both anime and mainstream, and yet during karaoke most of the mainstream songs I've heard were memesongs such as All Star or Linkin Park.

You're correct. For Animecon we did a poll running between ourselves: Which song would be the most played. There were 3 picks:
Yuri on ice - History Maker
Frozen - Let it go
Imagine Dragons - Enemy

Let it go won.

The top played songs during Animecon2022 were:
1. Encanto - We don't talk about bruno (English, Disney)
2. Yakuza - Baka mita (Japanese, meme)
3. Frozen - Let it go (English, Disney)
4. Pokemon Theme song (English)
5. One piece - We are (Japanese, OP)

Clearly English is more mainstream which isn't strange. People are familiar with those songs and Japanese can be pretty hard to sing if you haven't done that before. Let alone people who have a fear of standing in front of a whole room performing, yet somehow they still do it.

What we try to achieve is to have a nice balance between songs played and what the audience would like to hear whilst still maintaining our main goal: to have a comfy environment where everyone is having a good time.

Overall i think during the morning and afternoon more Japanese is sung. However there's always a shift at somewhat around evening when alcohol gets into action where people usually sing more English than Japanese. However Japanese songs will still occasionally come by every other or every 2-3 songs.

The above was just for Animecon. I know for a fact that for example in Belgium a lot musicals will be requested over and over again. Someone heard of Hamilton or Les Miserables? I can dream those songs, but never seen the musical.
In Germany they want a lot more dubbed songs.
Whereas in Denmark you hear a lot more Steven Universe.

So regional stuff is definitely a factor in what we hear throughout the different 'Anime conventions'. So having a wide selection of songs is imho the better play here. For each their own servings
>>
>>10779977
Tl;dr customer is kung
>>
>>10779977
Seeing as it was always crowded, you guys did a good job.
Glad to see you doing the karaoke at animecon.
>>
File: b66.gif (53 KB, 256x200)
53 KB
53 KB GIF
>>10780193
Customer is kong!
>>
>>10780835
Down bad, huh?
>>
>>10780835
How much money you got

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.