[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 65 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Naka-Kon, the convention that shut down on DAY 0 in 2020 during the opening of the rona, has just doubled down on their COVID mask/ vacc requirements and set a 6,000 attendance cap with no at-door badge sales

DAYS after the convention was begging on Facebook / Instagram for money because they lost so much this year with their capped COVID-con. (Naka this Sept was capped at 2500 people)

Thoughts, midwest bros?

Nov 30:

>Although we were able to host an in-person convention this year, we could not recoup any of the loss due to the capped attendance and additional operating costs caused by the postponement in date.

>Now more than ever, we need everyone's help to keep Naka-Kon alive.

>Getting Naka-Kon back on its feet will be a difficult road that will likely take several years to accomplish. As we move towards Naka-Kon 2022, we will be working hard to generate the funds to keep this convention running beyond next year. Our current goal is to raise $100,000 through grants and donations by Naka-Kon 2022.

https://naka-kon.com/news/2021-11-30/call-donations

Today, Dec 6:

>We will continue our face mask policy and require everyone on site to wear face masks at all times except while eating and drinking in designated areas.
We will require all attendees to provide proof of vaccination or negative test results for COVID-19.
Full protocol can be read at https://naka-kon.com/2022-safety-protocol
Next: How you can attend!
We will have access to both the hotel and the convention center, so while we will continue to have an attendance cap, it is now much higher, at 6,000 attendees.

>https://naka-kon.com/rules/covid-safety-policy
>>
>>10705211
>We will require all attendees to provide proof of vaccination or negative test results for COVID-19.

Yeah, that is going to be an easy pass from me.
>>
>>10705218
I just dont understand begging for money then doing the same thing that cost you money to begin with
>>
>>10705218
This, but "an easy Go Fuck Yourself, hope you fail miserably and go under forever."

>May 27-29
Ah, the same weekend as SIX other cons. Yeah I don't think my dreams of this floundering are too unreasonable
>>
karma for everyone , guests artists and vendors, that paid to be there on thursday afternoon only to be told the convention was cancelled
>>
>>10705223
It's fuckin dead
>>
>>10705376
I was mistaken, by the way. There aren't six competing cons that week. It's actually seven. Best of luck, Naka Con. You're gonna need it.
>>
>>10705378
This will be a great video one day chronicling defunct cons and it'l tell how Naka went from a 10,000 attendance in 2018 -19 to begging for money and bowing to every single COVID restriction they could think of
>>
>>10705382
>CoreCon 2022 - Fargo
>MomoCon 2022 - Atlanta
>Animazement 2022 - Raleigh
>Anime Boston 2022 - Boston
>Anime North 2022 - Toronto
>Thy Geekdom Con 2022 - Oaks, PA
>FanimeCon 2022 - San Jose, CA
>Mizucon 2022 - Miami
Ok, some podunks in there, but we got two hard hitters with Anime Boston (also vaxmaxers) and Anime North. Also, Mizucon is right by my house and I assure you there will be no testing, cards or even masks because we don't give a shit about any of that anymore. Pre-emptive S to Naka.
>>
>Kansas

That's too far but I might justify it if their COVID policy isn't shit.

>Proof of negative COVID.

I'll pass.
>>
Well ANYWAY, on a lighter note C2E2 in downtown Chicago is having a meetup at the Hyatt tomorrow night. I will be going in costume, not sure which. Gonna slip some drinks for anyone who's interested. Since I figure this is only for the truly invested, I'm keeping fingers crossed for some day 0 parties, especially since that convention center is quite literally connected to three hotels. Also, gull meetup happening on Saturday. What exactly is the plan? Not sure. Karaoke in Chinatown (mile down the road) is high priority, and possibly Lincoln Park Zoo as well. Since we may not even bother with this grossly overpriced RetardPoop (translator's note: "RetardPoop" means "ReedPop") event that isn't even an anime con.
>>
And in other-other news...

>Con+Alt+Delete 2021 - December 17-19 - Chicago
>Anime-Zap! 2022 January 7-9 - East Peoria
>Anime Milwaukee 2022 - February 11-13
>Ohayocon 2022 - February 11-13 - Columbus
>MissouriCon 2022 - February 12 - St. Louis
>Anime Crossroads 2022 - February 25-27 - Indianapolis
>Anime Detour 2022 - March 18-20 - Minneapolis
>EvilleCon 2022 - March 18-20 - Evansville
>Anime Recharge - March 26 - Des Moines
>Anime St. Louis 2022 - April 22-24 - St. Louis
>NoBrandCon 2022 - April 22-24 - Wisconsin Dells
>FanExpo Cleveland - April 29-May 1
>AniMinneapolis 2022 - May 6-May 8
>Fan Expo St. Louis 2022 - May 13-15 - St. Louis
>Anime Central 2022 - May 20-22 - Rosement
>CoreCon 2022 - May 26-29 - Fargo
>Fan Expo Chicago 2022 - July 7-10 - Chicago
>Dokidokon 2022 - July 15-17 - Kalamazoo
>AnimeIowa 2022 - July 22-24 - Coralville
>Kokorokon 2022 - August 26-28 - St. Louis
>>
>>10705753
This'll be my 5th time attending ASTL. On their website it says they plan on implementing a vaccine mandate. I really hope not. Pretty much everybody I'd want to go to that con with either can't or refuses to take it.
>>
>>10705751
Where and when are the meetups happening?
>>
>>10705753
Goddamit, so many cons in my state are run by the village rapist.
>>
>>10705903
The one for tonight is the hotel bar of Hyatt next to McCormick Place at 8. I will definitely be in the area earlier than that. The ones for tomorrow (apparently) and Saturday are still in talks. Will have to ask around when more people are around / awake.
>>
>>10705975
Sounds good, I'll keep my eyes open for the Friday and Saturday ones.
>>
>>10705753

I'll just hold off til Colossal dude. I see too much Ryan Kompf shit on here, and Ohayocon's trying to treat me like a second class citizen.
>>
https://discord.gg/2Jc292gq

MIDWEST COSPLAY GROUP AND GAMBLING SERVER
>>
File: EeZAEXuXYAE-ZX3.jpg (14 KB, 306x300)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>wake up three hours after limited Naka Badges go on sale
>still manage to get one

Are they even gonna reach cap this year??
>>
>>10706524
lol this was my first thought. I bought mine an hour or so after they went live, and I remember last year those things were gone within minutes.

Naka is fucking dead
>>
>>10705211
So excited they are taking proper Covid protections!
>>
Alright well, if the lack of discussion didn't make it obvious, actually attending did. DO NOT hang at Comic Cons, let alone ones run by RetardPoop. They are normalfags to the max and we have basically nothing in common. At every con, I try to leave with a lesson in self-reflection or something, and that was it for C2E2. The unoffical gull get together went fine, and it seems we're all going to be in the same place again for Otakufest next month, but still. I did not go to room parties to get my fucking ear talked off about political drivel, and surely no one else did either. Not a party friendly con either, cause I only know of two, went to them and they both got busted numerous times without even being that loud. Oh well. Another lesson: never touching ReedPop cancer again.
>>
>>10706296
Link expired
>>
>>10705211
Conventions have been brazenly grifting since COVID.
>host """convention""" with no programming but charge the same rates
>pocket the difference
And if you are hooked in with any con staffs, you'll know how much the 501c3 owner skims off.
>>
why do you all have a fucking gripe with being safe? if you were smart you'd be wearing a mask to every con even without covid, certainly plenty of people did before
especially the negative covid test requirement, it doesn't impact you in the slightest
and for real don't believe the misinformation about the vaccine, my whole family has had it and we're fine
>>
They complain that they didn't get enough money due to their damn attendance cap yet they still put an attendance cap for this year.
They're shooting themselves in the damn foot here.
>>
File: Cancer.png (33 KB, 566x636)
33 KB
33 KB PNG
Oh, boy! A new reason to hate Ryan! As if there weren't enough already !! I didn't even bother with this bullshit, even though tickets carried over from last year, because HolMat called. Though I would just like to remind people that Midwest this year said "Masks required" on their site, and then "Masks optional" at the door, even in this shitty vaxmaxxer central.
>>
>>10710070
I'm hoping this won't last until Midwest in July. Surely he'll want his largest con to not have that kind of trouble.
>>
>>10706272
How does Colossal compare to a con like DragonCon?
>>
>>10710070
All cons should require vax at this point
>>
>>10710113
Never done DragonCon because nobody I knew was going, but take it from someone who just came off the utter dud that was C2E2: Comic Con / conventions that are NOT anime themed people are dull as shit. I also had this absolute pseud talk everyone's fucking ear off about "Friedrich Wilhelm Neech" and "THANKSGIVING IS A CELEBRATION OF GENOCIDE", all because I dared breathe the name of Elon Musk. I was even gonna do DragonCon next year, but after receiving an invite to SanJapan the same weekend, there's absolutely no way I'm bothering.

To answer your question as best as I can, however, ColossalCon is legendary. Amazing venue. Free waterpark entry if you're on-site. Parties at literally all hours including at house-size villas off-site. ZERO interruptions from cops. I say the same thing to people: If you can only go to one, make it Colossal. And people just last week told me, it was a small, tame version.
>>
>>10710126
Incorrect as anyone in the history of being incorrect, and you're not going anyway, so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>10710070
Well fuck I was hoping I wouldn't have to worry about this with Midwest given how lax they were on the masks last year. Thankfully I haven't bought my badge yet
>>
>>10710128
Cool story but hate to burst your bubble
>>
File: 751.jpg (53 KB, 600x795)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>10710215
>In b4
>>
>>10710113
Colossal lives up to it's notoriety. I've only been to the one in Ohio but my friends have gone to the others and have said it gets just as crazy. If you don't get a room onsite I will say it probably won't be as fun. At lest for Ohio Colossal they have shuttles to a few of the local hotels/motels that are close. I can't say using the shuttle was that bad, they ran till 1am and a few of the hotels have decent all you can eat fee breakfast bars so in a way it was almost better cause nothing beats all you can eat breakfast after a wicked hang over.
>>
Out of curiosity since it's nearby: Is Planet Comicon any good? I've been wanting to go to Naka for quite sometime (actually finally got a ticket, then the pandemic hit) but because of the attendance cap, I'm not sure if I can go, so I was thinking about checking out PCC. I don't care about the covid precautions, they're not a big deal to me, just wondering if either con would be worth it.
>>
>>10712087
Naka is a really fun con with a great venue. Obviously this COVID shit is a huge bummer. I've never been to PCC but have heard consistently great things about it
>>
>>10712109
Not that anon but how good is Planet Comicon Kansas? I also heard good things about it and like 6 of my cosplay friends visited PCC before.
Do they have a good social scene/night life? I know a lot of comic cons are mostly about selling merchs/autographs/photo-ops and then they kick you out after 6PM and the night life is dead.
>>
>>10712939
there is 0 night life for planet comicon. that's my entire issue with comicons. I don't even like anime desu I just like the culture of anime cons.
>>
>>10712939
It sucks
>>
>>10712949
that is my problem with comic con. I like a lot of western stuffs but western oriented events like comic cons are so weak. They don't have any socialization.
>>
Hotel rooms go on sale THIS SATURDAY just FYI
>>
>>10712939
>>10712949
>>10713000 (checked)
I refer you all to my previous post
>>10710127
>Comic Con / conventions that are NOT anime themed people are dull as shit
>>
>>10714176
For a second I wondered if I typed your message, because it summed up my exact feeling on the convention disparity (comic, videogame, anime etc).

The culture of anime cons and night life (assuming you aren't a chud) is much better than the prior two. NYCC used to be better when it had just devoured the nearby anime convention but rapidly turned into normie central.

Videogame cons are just as bad, the stereotype of their crowd being awkward and obnoxious as shit, especially when alcohol is involved (magfest) is 100% true. Their game rooms are infinitely better than the other two I'll give them that.
>>
>>10714079
For what?
>>
>>10714219
Honestly I just wear non-anime cosplay to anime cons now (I have like 70% anime cosplay and 30% western cosplay but I like to wear the western stuffs more). Anime cons are getting bigger and they include a lot of events/panels/meetup for non-anime contents like DC, Marvel, Harry Potter, Star Wars, video games, etc.
I remember Katsucon had a Marvel meetup and the Marvel Facebook page posted about the Marvel meetup. Holiday Matsuri even invited George Perez, the artist for Avengers and Teen Titans back in 80s/90s. You don't even need to go to comic con to do comic-related shit.
>>
>>10705218
Came here to this.
>>
>>10713000
My favorite con is for western nerd shit (CONvergence) and it had a good nightlife and general feeling before we got bumped out of the old hotel. New one's layout makes it borderline impossible to get that feeling back.
>>
>>10714079
>>10714282
Sorry, Hotel rooms for Naka are on sale this Saturday is what I meant.

Does anyone love staying in the Sheraton?
>>
>Still haven't sold out of rooms
lol
>>
>10 days of no activity require a necrobump
/cgl/.../cgl/ has changed. Quickly. And not sure if that's good or bad yet.
>>
>>10720762
nothing on this board requires a bump if you're not contributing anything new
>>
>>10720770
It was on page 11. Also, your irony levels are off the charts. Your self-awareness levels are at absolute zero.
>>
Sausomecon is returning in March.
Gonna go to remember what tiny cons feel like lol
>>
File: Good job.jpg (38 KB, 390x427)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>10705753
>Colossalcon - June 1-5 - Sandusky OH
>C2E2 - August 5-7 - Chicago IL
>Anime Magic August 5-7 - Rosemont IL
>Ramencon - Sept 30 - Oct 2, South Bend IN
>Youmacon - Oct 28 - 30, Detroit MI

Any other cons to add to the list? Alternatively, if there's a more complete list floating out there, please post.
>>
>>10721115
Naka is tiny now
>>
>>10721698
ramencon was hilarious i hope more people come this year
>>
>>10722160
Yeah, it was super comfy. Large enough that there were lots of interesting panels but small enough that you could easily recognize people and just hang out.
>>
>>10712939
>>10712949
Yeah, comic cons are more in the style of a trade show, you mainly go there to collect and do business or just kind of browse like some giant pop culture museum. anime cons are more for socializing and partying which is really ironc to say since I would have to say that anime cons have become massivly antisocial and generally cancerous.
>>
Anyone going to ASTL in April?
>>
>>10723751
I'll be there. Long time ASTL enjoyer. I'm for sure bringing my Junko Enoshima (male) cosplay, idk if I'll bring anything else. Got my room at the Embassy reserved so hopefully we can recapture some of that convention party magic.
>>
Well, lads. There was never any doubt, but today we're making it official...and it's the same exact dates as Colossal Texas. Goddammit.
http://www.colossalconnorth.com/
>>
>>10722160
>>10722224

we're we at the same con? ramencon fucking sucked last year. There was hardly anyone there and even the entire city felt like a ghost town
>>
>>10726305
>Wisconsin in November
>Waterpark

Is it me or is it this a horrible idea?
>>
File: Anime Milwaukee.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Anybody been to pic related before? How's the Formal Dance there?
>>
>>10727088
Its all indoors.
>>
>>10727106
Okay, that may be worth going to then. Haven't been to a colossalcon before due to the hotels being instantly booked but might check this one out. Any idea why this one requires you to book from Thursday to Sunday despite only being a Fri-Sun convention?
>>
>>10727499
From what I gathered from Daisho ex-staff, Colassalcon doesn't have any rep up here amongst northern hotels, so Kalahari North is kinda giving them the shit end of the stick till they prove this will pan out. Basically, "newcomers" on the block treatment till they prove themselves then Kalahari won't be so restrictive in contract negotiations.
>>
>>10727507
is every Kalahari independently owned and operated or something? You would think the owner of the Kalahari chain would be in close contact with colossalcon staff
>>
>>10728433
From what I heard from a CC Texas staff member, they got invited to host there and didn't have to ask, cc got reached out to by kalahari and are on good terms with the owner.
>>
>>10728433
No idea, that's what CC is saying the CC North group, they're blaming Kalahari for such off-putting hotel minimums and stuff.
>>
File: Money.png (355 KB, 831x1200)
355 KB
355 KB PNG
>>10726305
Never been to a CC before. How important is getting a room at the Kalahari? For most cons, I prefer getting a room at the hotel but with the whole "Thursday night is required for Kalahari" it's ~$700 vs ~$200 for a hotel that's 1 mile away. If I'm actually getting a good experience from it, I don't mind dropping the half grand but if it just means that I have to spend a hour or two extra over the three days moving stuff between my car and the lockers, I'd rather pass.
>>
>>10730875
I would strongly recommend it for one simple reason: you're going to want to stay on site most of the time. Possibly even the ENTIRE time. Reason #2: free unlimited waterpark entry when you're a guest. Kalahari, at least the one in Texas, is a place where you could have a vacation by itself with absolutely everything in one location-- room, convention center, waterpark, bowling alley, gigantic arcade, 20 restaurants, and even extras like photo ops with the life size animal models or the gym. Also keep in mind my perspective is skewed because I've been to 17 cons since December 2020 and only stayed on site twice, both of which were ColossalCon. (Room with /cgl/ people in Ohio, came free with volunteer position in Texas)
>>
>>10730891
>you're going to want to stay on site most of the time. Possibly even the ENTIRE time.
True, albeit that's the case for all other cons as well

>Reason #2: free unlimited waterpark entry when you're a guest.
Eh, the non-swimming pass is $20 per day and even if you want the all day one, it's only $60

>Kalahari, at least the one in Texas, is a place where you could have a vacation by itself with absolutely everything in one location-- room, convention center, waterpark, bowling alley, gigantic arcade, 20 restaurants, and even extras like photo ops with the life size animal models or the gym.

IIRC, a lot of the stuff can be access by a congoer as well; you don't have to actually book a room at the Kalahari.
>>
Anime going to Anime Detour
>>
>>10733892
anyone*
>>
>>10733892
Maybe next year, cause I'm still cautious about the idea of going to Minneapolis desu. Crossroads for me
>>
>>10733944
Wait, what's wrong with Minneapolis?
>>
>Live in Midwest
>Flying out to Momocon and Colossalcon Texas because busy as shit with work.

Yet another year I don’t make local friends.
>>
>>10734115
Why not go to Collosalcon North instead then?
>>
>>10734115
>Momocon and Colossalcon Texas
Wow that is literally me. :^) I don't live in the Midwest (officially) but do spend quite a bit of time out there...like this coming week. Oh and also Colossal holy shit it's only three months away I can't wait much longer
>>
>>10734076
record high carjackings, robberies, and murders
>>
Well Anime Crossroads was infinitely better than expected (because my expectations were at absolute zero). There were six confirmed gulls, when I expected two including myself. Definitely more as this thread would indicate >>10736778 The widest girl:guy ratio I've ever seen, as the picture would indicate. Basically everyone else I talked to was local. hardly surprising, as it's not exactly big or famous. Managed to (technically) host parties, with mixed results. The final one was definitely the craziest I've ever seen. Not the most crowded by any means, just that people meant hog wild and I didn't think the Indiana scene was the type to have it in them. Said to people earlier I would use this to gauge whether or not I wanna try St. Louis again, and it's now up there at least as a backup option now.
>>
>>10734443
Sounds like a good time
>>
>>10734228
Because I like Texans, they’re really nice in general. I would do North if it didn’t overlap in date.

>>10734254
My group met this goth couple who offered to sell us a spare room since they double booked for Colossalcon and then later sold it to a different party despite us contacting first. It’s just the curse of Colossalcon at this rate. I might book year so I can finally make it to a con in my own state again after half a decade but I’m not holding my breath on that.

Momocon might be kind of dope though, it’ll be my first time in Atlanta.
>>
File: gwar1753.jpg (55 KB, 640x480)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>10737137
Well, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. :^) Volunteer for Colossal Texas and they'll give free stay at the hotel, free convention entry, free water park entry AND free after hours water park entry. Quite literally just waltzed in there on day 0 when it was empty and a guy asked if I was interested.

Also, Momocon is incidentally very close to where I stayed in Atlanta on 4th of July weekend in 2000. As a small child, it was very weird seeing Klingons chilling out at a restaurant and eating. Almost 20 years later, I checked into it and found DragonCon was the same week in the same hotel. And here are those fine fellas now. That, plus the big parade they had on the 4th was organized by the con.
>>
>>10737144
If you’re who I think you are, we called you a Janny for three days straight. I make enough irl to not have to play bitch on PTO.
>>
>>10737144
>>10737147

This. I go to cons so I don't have to work. Not to be a con janny that does it for free
>>
>>10736898
>There were six confirmed gulls, when I expected two including myself.
How do you even tell whether people are gulls anyways?
>>
File: 1642550202126.png (744 KB, 640x640)
744 KB
744 KB PNG
>>10738743
Quite easy desu: we're all in the same server. Also, looking for guys crossplaying or (2hu cosplayers in general) is always an easy way to SUS them out.
>>
>>10721115
Yo I am closet-cosplaying to Sausomecon next weekend, hope there is late night stuff there, PlanetComicCon is ded at like 8PM.

Han Solo and generic argh pirate confirmed, not sure what else to wear.
>>
All Both Day tickets for Paradiso are sold out. There are still some day 1 tix available.
>>
File: newheadernbc-2022temp2.png (235 KB, 1260x173)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
Anybody been to pic related before? Is it like a Collosalcon lite or is the pool presence there minimal?
>>
>>10740971
Debating if I wanna go for a single day. I'm thinking probably not. Maybe next year.
>>
>>10742663
Maaan, there's three cons on my radar for the same weekend and this is one of them. I would gladly go, since Colossal was retarded and decided they're debuting North on the same weekend as Texas. ...But I'm also seeing all these supposedly "$40 a night" hotels in the area skyrocket to well over $100 a night after sorting through the bullshit "service fees". Had I not just found that now, they would have sold me immediately.
>>
>>10742791
>Colossal was retarded
What happened with Colossalcon?
>>
>>10742829
They debuted their Texas Con on the third weekend of November last year so naturally that's the one for this year too. However, the much-awaited Colossal North is happening at the exact same time, making it virtually impossible to visit all four in a year
>>
>>10742791
I know there's ASTL but what's the other one? Also, the $40 per night thing seems like it's a resort; the state always throws on extra surcharges (IIRC, it's a $30 per room per night) and all it takes is one asshole leaving that charge out before all the other places have to leave that out in order to compete on the pricing.
>>
>>10743453
>I know there's ASTL but what's the other one?
Kawaiicon, Honolulu. That was my first choice, but more than likely I'm gonna have to fall back on Anime St. Louis, by FAR my last choice, assuming I do any of them at all.
>IIRC, it's a $30 per room per night
Yeah, try $90. Google is at least up front about this and they show "$40 per night, $135 after fees", but transparency doesn't make it ok.
>>
File: 1644209080426.png (1.08 MB, 942x1062)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
anyone going to astl in 3 weeks?
>>
File: 1648838922217.png (618 KB, 1461x1096)
618 KB
618 KB PNG
>>10748502
It's looking all-but-guaranteed right now.
>>
>>10742840
North on the same week as Texas was a retarded decision.
>>
>>10749434
Indeed. This year makes 20 years of Colossal, no? With more time in the game than virtually anyone (and by a huge margin), I'm REALLY hoping they run the numbers after those two are done and say "Yeah, shit was a stupid idea, let's not do it that way again."
>>
>>10749434
nvm
>>
>>10749434
That and they are spinning up a con in what, 10 months? Hopefully, they have experienced personnel there and a list of panelist + guests otherwise it's going to be a shitshow. .
>>
>>10742791
>>10749434
Guys, Colossalcon North being on that weekend wasn't as retarded of a decision as you may think, not when you realize the reasoning behind it. If you guys haven't known by now, Daisho Con used to be a thing at the Wisconsin Dells Kalahari before it became a dead con late last year. Colossalcon saw an opportunity and sought to almost exactly replace the con after Daisho Con's death was confirmed, including taking Daisho Con's usual dates. It was just an unfortunate coincidence that that also happened to be Colossalcon Texas' usual dates, but now that Colossalcon Texas has rescheduled to be on a different weekend, this is no longer a problem.
>>
>>10749904
I know the "lore" behind the formation of Colossal North. It was confirmed almost immediately that they scooped up the URL the same *day* Daisho shut down (Thanksgiving, for extra insult to injury). Regardless, they should have noticed immediately running two events at once is a bad idea. They're well aware people are willing to travel around for all of them. Why else would they offer a "season pass"?
>>
>>10749904
>>10749998
When I talked with one of the CC North guys at a booth, they mentioned how it was actually Kalahari that reached out to them after Daisho was canceled since Kalahari Wisconsin wanted a way to replace their loss of revenue. But this is from the CC staff so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
Naka is in a month, is anyone actually going?
>still mask and vaccine requirements
>still attendance cap
lol
>>
>>10751402
If it weren't run by a bunch of bedwetters then I would go.
>>
>>10752349
If it were run by a bunch of cute, female literal bedwetters I would go
>>
File: 1355436857668.jpg (43 KB, 480x640)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>10751402
I'm going, but I have no idea how much Naka specific stuff I'm going to do. I want to go out at night or afternoon and just to KC stuff. Hopefully make some friends and go as a big group.
>>
I'm gonna go and be bored out of my skull like last year. I should try socializing but it's hard to want to these days.
>>
Dropping in to say Anime St. Louis, while far from perfect, was still extremely fun last night and a billion times better than last year's
>>
Naka con is going to be fucking dead next year.
>>
So what other cons are worth going to around here?
>>
File: 20220423_213336(0).jpg (2.16 MB, 3264x2448)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>10755601
Shit was wild. Astl has only been getting bigger in recent years. I wonder if they'll have to change venues
>>
>>10742663 reporting in. NoBrand was pretty much dead. 70% of the resort was full of vacationing families & high schoolers their school field trip with absolutely 0 cosplayer presence in the waterpark. There was maybe a grand total of 5 people at the Friday dance and maybe 30 at the Saturday one. The only good part about it was meeting some people and one of the VAs (of which there were only 2). All the other panels were boring.
>>
>>10755603
They're literally killing themselves at this point. Then to still be begging for money online is just baffling
>>
File: 1598937103515.jpg (208 KB, 953x960)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
All the hotels in the area are booked. Is there a chance that Naka will actually have a decent attendance and not be shit? Now I have to get an expensive airbnb.
>>
>>10740971
Paradiso modeling applications are up. Why did they move the fashion show to the evening? I feel like you’d want to see what you want before you do shopping.
>>
What should I do during Naka?
>>
>>10759024
wear 50 masks
>>
>>10759024
according to the con runners, get vaxxed, boosted, tested, wear a mask, then wear another one, then you might get in the front doors
>>
One thing about Naka’s guidelines that stands out to me is that I haven’t seen a specifically nonwoven mask requirement anywhere but a doctor’s office.
>>
>>10765042
I hate the fucking people running this fucking convention.
>>
>>10765042
3+ layers of surgical masks?? What the fuck?
>>
>>10765989
This is the norm for being a con owner, not the exception. The sooner people realize this, the better and it looks like quite a few have already
>>
>>10765996
I think this is just badly written. Surgical-style masks have multiple layers, so I think it just means wear a "normal" mask (just one) and not one of those "compliance/muh freedombs" coverings that are totally worthless.
>>
>>10766019
what do you mean surgical masks have multiple layers? Mine only have one. I don't think this is "written poorly", I think they are legitimately expecting at least three surgical masks
>>
>>10766045
They just mean no sewn fabric masks
>>
>>10766045
They absolutely are not.
>>
File: dispoasable-masks-en.png (612 KB, 1604x1196)
612 KB
612 KB PNG
>>10765996
>>10766045
You can literally separate your surgical mask and see the different layers.
>>
>>10765042
Lmao wearing masks under fursuits and helmets is the most retarded shit I've ever heard.
>>
File: 1604471940306.jpg (70 KB, 540x622)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>10765042
>Have to wear le mask underneath fursuit/helmet even if quadruple vaxed
Holy fuck
>>
i'll be going to naka because some friends REALLY want me to go but damn its gonna be hard to have a fun time. I really don't want to get tested either.
they've had fun police on staff for years but this covid shit made em even worse.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (10 KB, 259x194)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>10705218
>>10705223
>>10705673

I get why people are against vax shit, but why does negative tests trigger people so much?? Seems like a reasonable and responsible thing to do. Sorry swabbing your nose is too much work for your fat ass :/
>>
>>10765042
Fuck these dipshits.
>>
>>10705211
literally FUCK Naka-Kon and their ridiculous corona bullshit. I hope they go under. I was already sketch when they started allowing trannies in womens bathrooms.
>>
I don't even want to go back for Sunday I hate wearing a mask
>>
Haven't been to an anime con in a few years. Swear to God at least 40% of the cosplays were either Genshin or Demon Slayer.
>>
>>10767564
Yeah this annoyed the fuck out of me. Was nice to see a couple Chainsaw Man ones even if they were just suits and wigs, nothing actually super interesting.
>>
Naka was ok.
>>
what's the easiest way to get laid at a midwestern con? should I dress like kid rock and wear jorts? or some kind of dirt farmer?
>>
Thought the turnout was pretty good. They sold out after all. Feels good to have anime again in KS. I hate this place otherwise.
>>
anyone see the dragon ball short film showcase yesterday?
>>
>>10768082
i thought they posted the panel on youtube
>>
Anyone got experience with Dragon Con? I was looking into it and all of the options seem like a really fun time.
>>
>>10766704
>I get why people are against vaccines
Bro what?
>>
Anyone going to Anime Midwest?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.