[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image(4).png (846 KB, 800x531)
846 KB
846 KB PNG
I think brands need some fresh content. Their stuff is stagnating, and come on we're all adults now the umpteenth print of cats at tea parties is a little tired. I posit that AP and friends ought to take more mature inspiration, such as the picture here (re-drawn by an artist into lovely cutesy AP art of course).

What themes/ lolita-ified images would you fork over rent for the month to get a print of?
>>
>>10671730
Tastefully done anatomical/medical themes in a print. I'm thinking old engravings of anatomy and medical tools.
>>
>>10671736
>>10671730
So you want AP to be goth? Why don’t you just buy dresses from the people who are already making those prints?
>>
>>10671738
I never said I wanted the print from AP
>>
it would be cool to see brands tap into the taobao "random shit"/"novelty print" market, but do it well. something like meta's typewriting squirrels or vm's flamingos. something lighthearted and novel but not done in that stupid clipart style or on shitty poly fabric

also swords. a few western/indie brands (IDD, kaneko, something noblesse) have done swords and some have done other medieval imagery (KL mozrabic chant, funcinno ragnarok) and there's a huge market for this style. no idea why jp brands haven't tapped into it. a selkie print would be wonderful

>>10671736
i bet iw could do this well
>>
>>10671730
I strangely actually don't want this at all. Brands and AP included already did the whole "mature" thing and it's pretty boring. As someone who has been around since 2008ish, it's actually refreshing to see sweet prints again.

I'm tired of novelty prints as well, a lot tend to be terrible cuts and fits. I want whipped cream everything to come back. Full on cakes, parfaits, macarons, gingerbread houses.

Also up until this year I would have said applique but it seems that it's finally catching on again. I think lolita is at its most diverse state at this time. There is plenty for the sweet lovers, the goths and the classics around.
>>
>>10671785
i still want appliqué but like, actually good appliqué. that chinese brand wheat house did a cute cat appliqué and it was nicer than any of the appliqués (could i say appliqué one more time) on any of the new AP IMO, at least from the pictures. i guess the one on that moco moco top was pretty cute

if AP did this style with more AP-esque art, or something more reflective of what they’d done in the past, we’d all be screaming.

anyway i wish there were more things in the style of mode girl or dollhouse, i don’t really care about fresh new ideas because modern releases disappoint me most of the time. last season AP got so close, yet still so far. end blogpost.
>>
>>10671789
YES. I would love a chenille applique skirt. Also more apron and suspender skirts. They're cute and I don't see them enough
>>
Gothic food prints. Think wine, black berries, red velvet cake. Enchantlic Enchantilly could probably make it work.
>>
>>10671755
On that note, i would like to see a brand do newspaper dolls but with actually good fabric and a crisp print. It's disheartening to see that print be wasted on shit execution.
>>
>>10671789
Thirding this. I want more applique and more black and white things in general! I would really like to see totes make a major comeback as well, but I know we're in an OTT upsurge. A cute B&W sweet tote and parasol would basically make my sweet capsule complete, save a cute coat.
>>
>>10671805
Actually same anon, adding to this I would love to see more accessories and non-main pieces available all around. Classic and sweet socks in my specific style are not in stock right now and buying used socks is a little bit questionable as is... Yes, you can search taobao for stuff, but it's just not the same.
>>
File: 1631331389362.png (942 KB, 748x740)
942 KB
942 KB PNG
>>10671730
Not sure if this will sound weird but I've wanted a cute geometric dress with abstract 3D shapes for a while now. It could be interpreted as a more mature take on toy box themes. Picrel sort of captures the aesthetic I'm trying to talk about.
>>
>>10671818
I absolutely heckin love this!!! STAIRlita!!!
>>
>>10671818
I want mc escher prints. Is that too much to ask?
>>
Some less common animals. Maybe a print of bugs and spiders? But like nice antique drawings of bugs
>>
Less prints and more dresses with the design actually woven in. I know custom weaving is extremely expensive and we'd be limited to things less elaborate than prints but I'd be willing to pay the cost because it looks much nicer than prints. I generally think prints look cheap
>>
>>10671915
gobelin really isn't that expensive
>>
>>10671789
I’m also on the appliqué train. I think instead of cute appliqués I would love to see other themes. Books, quills, flowers, envelopes/postage stamps, and maritime would all be really nice.

I would also love to see a comeback of embroidery, but the production costs might be too high for most brands to even consider it.
>>
>>10671789
If this was more a-line.... fuck
>>
I want Mary Magdalene-esque blazer/suit sets because honestly I want to wear lolita to work
>>
DAE want quilted Ops/Jsks? They'd be easier to wash than velvet
>>
>>10671917
Anon, getting fabric custom woven, as in, paying a fabric mill to weave custom yarn dyed jacquard, not just print something, you designed, costs around $30/yd wholesale or $50/yd retail
>>
>>10671730
Getting more into otome brands the more items I tick off my wish list. ETC and Leur Getter are so comfy, frequently with back shirring. They still have cute prints but the themes are more interesting and don't scream ageplay to the normie eye. Idk having random teenagers roll their eyes at you for just existing gets old.

I would love to see more sea creatures outside of an ott mermaid or dream marine like context. Bugs are also cool. Botanical illustrations like that one kaneko print.

>>10671785
AP's past mature phases have generated some great prints and dresses though. Like what is Mercator Antique Shop? Whipped Jacquard?
>>
>>10671919
i know, right? i kind of want it, but something is stopping me. misako has a worn pic though and she made it look so good. would look for it if i had more time.
>>
>>10671789
I wanted that dress until I looked at more photos of it..

Unfortunately the applique looks a little poorly done too. I had to talk myself out of it, because I knew I'd regret it later.
>>
>>10671807
They mostly re-release old main pieces and not all the accessories that surrounded the releases.

It really makes accessorizing sparse AF. It sucks. Please give me Sugary Carnival accessories, AP :(
>>
>>10671919
The OP is A-line.
>>
File: nobihfwk.jpg (40 KB, 314x469)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>10671999
Dropped pic. I'm dumb. Really wish this was not a Chinese dress selling for $$$. No way I can justify the price point.
>>
>>10672000
Jesus it looks so wrinkly and plastic
>>
>>10671785
There is almost no variety in goth what the hell?
>>
>>10672000
>>10671999
God that is pretty
>>
>>10672002
Exactly. I like the design, but their execution isn't brand quality. :(

AP give me back my retro shit. PLEASE. FUCK LARME.
>>
>>10672003
They might mean the nu 'goth lolita' shit. idk. I'm noticing the lines are a little blurred more for what people consider as gothic lolita nowadays. As far as I was concerned, it was pretty rigid, but now we have people in prints everywhere.
>>
>>10672008
Yeah they probably mean that, and you are right, it's just full of shitty prints right now, for example the chinese gothic is just so random and terrible it doesn't seem gothic anymore... And as for the Japanese brands, Moitie not even released all the cuts and colors of Iron Gate and Boz just closed, now there is even less options for gothic lolitas, as a goth this is just sad.
>>
>>10672008
Yes, plus goth doesn't equal edge blood and knives. The "goth" clothes are so often batty rather than elegant
>>
>>10672014
>>10672012
Clolita has probably destroyed the majority of what is deemed gothic lolita. I know everyone got up and arms over the black sweet prints not being goth for years, but now it's 'the norm' from clolita brands. I remember when a few prints would come out from brands and people would storm after them. Now they are forgotten about due to the mass influx of "goth prints."

I guess what you have to really ask yourself is whether or not when you look at something, is it elegant looking? Is it punk looking? You get the idea. I think the batty shit is traditionally from the sweet lolita realm.
>>
>>10672032
Annnnnnnnd this is exactly why we created labels like 'bittersweet'

Because otherwise, you're going to have all these different subgenres convoluting your style. Is that what you want? Get used to sub-genres, newbies. It doesn't matter if it's used in Japan, we create labels to divide things and define.
>>
>>10671841
I was actually going to suggest stair prints as well! I think fancy staircases could have some serious untapped potential, some of them are pretty ornate. Stuff like spiraling around the dress, flowers on the banister, and different objects on the steps could be very visually interesting
>>
I just want some fuckin bird prints that aren't silhouettes or cages or both. Tiny round birds are adorable and have the potential to be kawaii as fuck. Less bunnies, bears, and kittens. More fat little birdies.
>>
>>10671730
I want fucking boleros and sweaters
>>
I wish all prints other than simple florals or patterns would just die. They're garish and ugly 95% of the time. All I want is dresses with quality construction, beautiful details and luxurious fabrics, but it seems like lolita is moving further and further away from that.
>>
>>10672434
100% agreed
I hate most prints & wish brands went back to relying more on textures, like I want more velveteen pieces, gobelins, just heavier fabrics in general and designs that would actually be worth my money t b h
>>
>>10672036
bittersweet is a 2010 term that was almost exclusively used for coords of black AP prints. that also has nothing to do with clolita because they make their definitions based on japanese lolita. fast fashion aliexpress/milanoo tier ita shit and clolita will always confuse newbies no matter what anyone does, especially when popular lolitas keep shilling them.
>>
>>10672393
I love Metas sparrows marbles as a print but hate the style of JSK they used it for sadly :(
>>
>>10672442
What gobelin pieces did you like?
>>
the way lolita brands are structured they won't survive. fast fashion is how most young people consume street fashion. in previous decades street fashions were mainly for people in their 20s and 30s, mostly due to expense. that age group of women into alt fashion would be spending all of her income on herself and would be totally independent. teens into these fashions were rare, even in lolita as late as 2010s it was mostly that age group shopping at brands and younger girls with less money sewing their own items from glb patterns, it was that way even in the west. the cost used to represent not just exclusivity, but quality. because brands relied on their products more since advertising was magazine or word of mouth. so popular brands were popular for good reason. with how the internet is now, advertising is extremely easy so markets are very competitive. and with alt fashions being made by fast fashion factories in China rather than smaller designs, brands can't compete. and the main issue is brands trying to compete with cheap crap, so they became it. i would rather they raise them and raise the price range. we already pay that much second hand and lolita is known for exclusivity.
another issue is that alt fashions are becoming trendy among teens and kids now, meaning they are becoming fast fashion. they aren't for freaks and geeks anymore, but even so, that would also be trendy. with places like tiktok funneling cheap aliexpress crap as high quality real lolita, these impressionable teen brains have no reason to regard brands as different from taobao. the constant stream of cheap garbage masquerading as jfash of any kind means that lolita in general will become nothing more than a hashtag in a tiktok ad for some cheap taobao clolita garbage.
>>
>>10672456
very sorry for the rant it's night where i am drunk.
>>
>>10672456
>in previous decades street fashions were mainly for people in their 20s and 30s
Have you ever looked at Kera snaps? Most people were in their teens.
>>
>>10672481
>Most people were in their teens.
She just said teens couldn't afford the brands not that they didn't participate at all. Most brands themselves say 18-30s is their market, not high schoolers.
>>
>>10672434
Also agreed.
>>
>>10672481
I remember seeing a discussion on here where a gull claimed that "it's common knowledge" that the people in street snaps would claim to be younger than they really were. No clue if that's true though.
>>
>>10672456
I can understand what you are saying, but a younger generation being interested in the fashion isn’t the problem.

Even if things were as simple as described on your rant, if brands always relied on young adult woman and the ones buying and popularizing aliexpress shit are teens, there’s not a big loss for brands, they never relied on the money that’s going for taobao.

There are other stuff that seem to be a bit more worrying than teens buying low quality dresses.

I mean, young adults right now don’t have the same income as the young adults from then, this looks like something that would affect brands more since these are the people that have been consuming their products as you said.

Then we have alt fashion being more and more social media focused and the need to come up with “new content” all the time, it isn’t young folk fault, we did it to ourselves. I know very few lolitas who don’t give a damn about their social media numbers and it almost feels like you are not part of the community if you are not constantly posting about new outfits and purchases. Girls are studying digital marketing strategies to reach more people with their fricking outfits for god’s sake, sometimes I ask myself if it isn’t a job at this point.

We’ve became obsessed with staying relevant on social media and with platforms as ig demanding more and more content for you to even appear to your followers, we feel like we need to come up with new outfits all the time, and then we need to have new pieces to wear on those outfits. If lolitas are consuming more with less income, of course cheap shit will sell like water while actual quality stuff won’t be as sought after.
>>
>>10672442
You took the letters right off my keyboard anon, more velveteen! More gobelin! More natural fibres and beautiful patterning. Even small embroidery on a main piece would be lovely. I wish there was a wider release for kumyas embroidery jsk, but it proved the market is there seeing how fast it sold out when it was in person exclusive!

There are so many people who just aren't happy with the state of the fashion, and very few brands who actually fulfill those needs. Im looking forward to the R R Memorandum release and hoping that other indie brands pick up on this.
>>
>>10672853
this, I bought some Yilia blouses as filler but the jacquard cotton just made me fall for it. Reminded me of why I was interested in the first place in the fashion.
>>
>>10672546
It is
>>
Real materials. Wool. Silk. Leather. Fur. No more synthetics. I have an old aatp pure wool cardigan I adore
>>
>>10672853
I don't think you get what anon is saying. We need the younger generation to keep the fashion alive as we age. And especially in Japan, 20-30 year olds are still living with parents, they don't want to spend lots of money anymore.
>>
>>10672971
>another issue is that alt fashions are becoming trendy among teens and kids now
I guess they do understand, it’s dumb to assume this is teens and kids fault lol
>>
>>10671796
Seconding this desperately.
>>
>>10671796
Gothic doesn't need any more prints, everything that doesn't look absolutely tacky has already been done
>>
>>10673239
Agreed. I'm tired of 'gothic' prints
>>
>>10673239
What goth prints didnt look tacky?
>>
>>10672975
I disagree. Have you seen tiktok? It's all kids and teens essentially advertising to eachother.
>>
>>10673261
This is just my personal preference but I consider Moities prints pretty decent, especially the older minimal ones (like the cross print), but I also like their intricate architectural prints. AATP's Vampire Requiem is bordering on tackiness but still not quite that "batty" aesthetic that >>10672014 mentioned.
To give one a clear example of what I would consider tacky, look at Lady Sloth's spooky macaron series. Maybe I hate fun, but as a gothic lolita I like to dress elegant rather than like I'm going to a Halloween party.
>>
>>10673286
that looks like that one bodyline jsk
>>
>>10673239
>>10673256
>>10673286
It needs good prints in my opinion. I want tastful gothic prints with photo realistic oil painting style art. Also the big issue is gothic doesn't mean anything in Asia, so it's an umbrella term for anything that's not punk or vk but is creepy or spooky. Gothic lolita took more from romantic goth at the beginning, but it takes more from edgy goff fashion, especially now and the line between goth and other styles is blurred by any edgy design(like people calling APs holy lantern goth when it's more punk if anything) Terms in fashion are defined both by the community and designers and the japanese terms are all wasai-eigo, words from foreign languages, which are generally stupid as fuck, and they don't make sense when translated back. But the western community uses the original definitions for a lot of things so it gets complicated. The lolita community is full of wasai-eigo from multiple origin languages. Sax blue, salopette, pannier, jumper skirt are just common ones I think of other than gothic.
>>
>>10673294
Photo realistic oil painting isn't gothic, that's classic.

That's the issue, you guys are literally ruining what ELEGANT gothic lolita looks like. It's not supposed to be full of lots of detail. It's supposed to be the Apple of lolita. Simple but artistic.
>>
>>10673286
I never really got the hype for this print. I guess the crudeness is part of the charm but I can't understand how some people consider it so iconic.
>>
>>10673342
No one is talking about portaits like jetj but there are plenty of gothic imagery.
>>
>>10673348
Me neither, it looks like clip art.
>>
>>10673280
So what? Cringe kids and teens wearing shit quality dresses and calling it lolita have always existed, some will try to better themselves and become actual lolitas and others will simply grow out of it.
It has never being a real problem, we just make such a big deal about it because we don’t want to be associated with them, but nobody outside of the lolita community cares and it has no impact on the fashion.
>>
>>10671930
that's way less expensive than I would have guessed, but lolita jsks are like 6yds so that'd be fairly expensive
>>
>>10671739
you literally mentioned AP twice
>>
>>10671730
I just want more florals and medieval images. But yeah please no more cats in dresses

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.