[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 68 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: almost fall edition.png (1.59 MB, 1242x1221)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB PNG
Old thread >>>>>>10591734

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

Anime Expo has been confirmed to take place July 1st-4th next year. Do you think people will be too afraid to go to a convention given the current severity of the delta variant, or do you think many people will want to "return to normalcy" and it'll end up being a massive turn out?
>>
From the last thread
>>10660772
> Before the pandemic, what % of your income was made through AA? Is there anyone here who totally lives/lived off of their merch?
I wonder if a poll to this effect has ever been run here.

For me personally I only took AAs as a bonus to my income, not a main focus. (Especially since artists alleys are getting harder and harder to get into nowadays especially) and I make all my income off of online fanart sales. It’s enough that I can support myself and another person and live comfortably. I’ve seen no success with Instagram and Facebook ads, but organic TikTok and Instagram posts have been my most successful.
I get barely any followers from Twitter, Instagram is my main platform and I get the most engagement there.

Unrelated I’m slightly dyslexic and these captchas are killing me lol
>>
>>10660772
I've been doing this full time since 2016, and ever since 2017 I have been doing fewer artist alleys each year. I was doing 6 or 7 a year at one point but planned to do 2 or 3 last year and this year before covid hit.
It was ~50% of my income in 2016, but 5% last year and 0% this year. I still have a con in December that I plan to go to at least.
I go to cons now for fun, not so much to make money since compared to my online sales, its a small % of my profits, even before covid. Actually, online revenue has really exploded for me this year
>>
>>10660969
My online revenue has also exploded, which I'm very grateful for, I didn't think it was enough to support anyone/thing to think about putting THAT much focus into it but after some thought I realized it could actually be a (low) salary on its own. With this year's trends if I were to calculate it in with my full time job it would make up about 30% of my total income. So I guess that's pretty good, I just can't take the volatility ha ha so I have zero plans of going full time AA/fanart.
I do want to attend a con sometime when things die down (though maybe this is when everyone wants to get out and you make bank) but since I haven't been to one since about 2019 I have no idea how my performance will be...
>>
>>10660969
>>10661040

My revenue also exploded late 2019 into 2020 but after April of this year my sales took a nose dive. Not a steady decline either a complete drop off. I don't know what the fuck happened. Been using the slow down to build more merch and organize inventory though.
>>
>>10661199
>but after April of this year my sales took a nose dive.
June was a slow month for me, but otherwise, the momentum from March is still going strong for me.
>>
>>10660772
Artist Alley was 30-40% of my income pre-pandemic. I kind of made it up with online sales this past year. I do this full-time.
>>
Is vtuber merch okay to sell/does it sell decently?
>>
>>10663714
>>10663714
No. People do it anyway though.
https://en.hololive.tv/terms
>>
>>10663732
Fair enough, so basically just like any other anime IP
I was planning on just doing a few meme-tier items
>>
Is it cringey to put anime conventions on a resume?
>>
>>10663879
depends on where you are applying to. Most employers won't care though since they will have no idea what it is. You'd want to keep it generic like saying you managed a merchant booth at festivals and conventions.
>>
>>10663886
Aaah yeah, I was struggling with the words to call it.
I put something like "Sold Original art at artist convention, grossed XXXUSD over three day period"
But managed merchant/artist booth is better way to put it
>>
would art featuring a specific hotel/convention center step on more copyright toes than animu fanart? a bit concerned with the dragoncon carpet spoonflower thing
>>
>>10663966
probably. idk about art specifically, but in the photography world, selling photos of a building isn't allowed as building are protected under copy right as they are considered art.
>>
>>10663966
I definitely wouldn’t have the name of the hotel in the art.
The dragoncon stuff happened in the early 2010’s and brands are a lot more aware of cosplay/fandom and what it can do for them
>>
>>10663966
Do something visually similar, but inclued a difference that technically changes it but leaves it recogniseable. So googling that carpet, I'd make the gold filler between the tiles silver instead, but a warm toned silver. So it's still realllyy clear what it is. Or, the patterns on the tiles are straight lines, so make them dots instead.
It's different enough to be considered a parody but similar enough to be recognisable.

Think of changing the yellow maccas M on a red background to a yellow W on a red background.
>>
noob question. Do you guys put extra backings with prints in your rigid mailers to keep the print away from the edges, or should the rigid mailer be enough? paranoia coming in at full force.
>>
File: 20210826_102039.jpg (12 KB, 512x384)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
hello! is there price differences between buying vograce on their website and buying it on alibaba? right off the bat the alibaba one seems cheaper, but im not sure since it doesnt take into account size. if any kind anon knows, do let me know! i havent made keychains is years and want to get back into them
>>
old thread saged so can't reply and also it was literally like 100 days ago but I felt so intensely about this I had to say something

but to the anon asking if they can oil their wooden charms with a food oil like vegetable - PLEASE DON'T

It will literally go rancid, there's a reason that wood workers use the oils they do.
>>
Does anyone having any experience with selling dakis in artist alley? There's clearly a market for them at cons with the bootleg stalls in dealers halls, but those also tend to have the selling point of being significantly cheaper than a fanmade one (though they also tend to be flavour of the month anime girls, and I'm looking at making male characters).
>>
>>10665064
The website is cheaper but expect your stuff to take 2-3 weeks longer. My experience is that if you want your stuff done faster message a rep on alibaba
>>
>>10665294
BoldEgoist on tiktok has dakis as their main item, and they give a lot of advice.
I know I'd prefer a fanmade one with nice art and a higher cost over a bootleg with stolen official art, but that's just me.
>>
>>10665294
>I'm looking at making male characters
God, I would fucking love this. Dealer's Halls ones are always waifus or traps. I'd be happy to pay a premium on a fanmade husbando daki as long as it has good art and doesn't fall apart after 1 wash.
>>
>>10665294
Male character ones tend to do fairly well but be prepared to get mildly harassed by neckbeards/dudebros who feels "uncomfortable" with you sexualizing their favorite. This usually doesn't happen a ton but cons with a higher concentration of male attendees will usually have at least one or two dudes come up to you and tell you that you're "sick" or whatever.
>>
>>10665400
This makes me sad to hear. The complete and utter lack of self-awareness of some sperglords is nothing new I guess, but still.
>>
>>10665294
One time at AA I saw a booth with bara dakis and there was a swarm around that booth specifically
>>
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but do you guys know of any suppliers that also do dropshipping for an online shop like shopify? I'm trying to branch out.
>>
>>10667057
Shopify's app directory has a whole section of them.
>>
>>10665328
thank you anon! Ill take note of it when i place my order
>>
>>10665294
I knew someone whose main gimmick was selling male dakis, they sold more than her other stuff. Go for it.
>>
>>10664034
even if it's on public property?
>>
>>10667679
yep. A builder owns the copyright of a building just like an artist owns the copyright of a drawing. You can't make money off of someone else's designs, no matter what it is.
>>
File: 42iGVHa.png (1.42 MB, 1898x1290)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB PNG
>>10667750
>You can't make money off of someone else's designs, no matter what it is.
>>
File: Eaa_fZdXQAUg_1h.jpg (145 KB, 768x1024)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Does anyone know how to set up glitter stickers for vograce to look like this?(With opaque parts and transparent parts with color?)
>>
>>10668134
I don't know if they'll do it but foil is the service your looking for the stars.
>>
>>10668134
You could also ask Ocean who her supplies is politely/confirm if she'd be willing to share (some online artists are weirdly stingy about sharing sources sometimes for reasons like not wanting competition or to overwhelm their supplier,, but she's generally very nice)
>>
>>10668275
Thank you for replying. But that's holo glitter vinyl printed over with white, not exactly foiling(look at the star, there is a gradient)
>>10668367
Thanks to you too. I think they might have gone with Stickerapp(pic related) judging for the quality of the sticker. I found a video but I'm not sure if Vograce works the same way.

I'm setting my files like they request their holo pin badges, I assume it is similar?
>>
>>10667750
>You can't make money off of someone else's designs, no matter what it is.
Is this a joke? Do you know what thread you're in?
>>
For those of you that are skilled artists (implying you’re probably an artist full time) what’s stopping you from becoming a vtuber? Anyone else considering becoming a vtuber?
>>
>>10668394
no, and yes? What do you think the 6th link in OP is about? By "can't", I mean legally without permission.
>>
>>10668434
ntayrt but you are fucking wrong anyway. copyright law is complex and there are many things at play, even just with the hotel and it has fuck all to do with anything you're talking about.
>>
>>10668433
I’d like to be one but my laptop isn’t powerful enough for streaming and I don’t have the cash to build a gaming pc with how expensive gpus are these days.
>>
>>10668433
You do know that being a Vtuber requires more than just the art, right?
>>
>>10668438
Why even bother replying? You've added nothing of substance. Just going around saying something is "complex" doesn't make you sound smart. You have to actually explain how it works.

Its a gray area, but people's creations are covered under copyright, so you can't copy someone's work too closely.
>>
>>10665346
>>10665356
>>10665400
>>10665849
>>10667459
Nice, thank you all! It's still like a year til the next con, so time to get drawing!
>>
>>10668514
It's not a grey area, you just have no understanding of copyright law or what the law issues are.
>>
>>10668529
just repeating a variation of "you don't understand" multiple times just makes you look like an idiot.
>>
Does anyone have resources for good pin banner manus? Similar to pic related.
>>
>>10668378
I wish more places had swatches on specialty finishes
>>
What are some ways to show your gratitude towards your table assistant/helper?

My sister agreed to help me out at a con coming up, and it’s going to be a long day, so I want to show my gratitude for her helping me throughout the day.
>>
>>10665400
>be prepared to get mildly harassed by neckbeards/dudebros who feels "uncomfortable" with you sexualizing their favorite
Nta but that sounds hilarious. I’ve seen so many good male dakis too.
>>
>>10669991
You probably know your sister really well so maybe you know of something she needs/wants? What is your budget for this show of gratitude?
>>
>>10669991
buy them food
>>
>>10669991
My partner helped me with my most recent con the entire time and I made sure that I paid for all our food and snacks, along with covering half of his travel costs. I would've covered all of it but he insisted on paying for some, so ymmv on what you think is appropriate.
>>
>>10669991
Buy her food 100%, during the con and maybe take her out for something afterward
>>
anyone doing connecticon in 2022? I want to sign up but the growtix page has the 2021 banner
>>
>>10668433
I still have the tiniest bit of self respect left.
>>
>>10671388
They do in person renewals first Sunday at con. Once the show gets all those set in, they will list the additional space online. I’d email them to ask when it will swap over.
>>
>was offered a table at NYCC. Decided to accept it because I figured it’s a good opportunity to rub elbows with other artists, editors and/or publishers.

>My day job is “temp” graphic Designer/production artist. I’m told I’ll be brought on full-time soon
>Realize I will have to take off from my day job on Thursday and Friday.
>May have to also take off the Wednesday before since that’s “move in” day and hours to set up are only 8-5

I haven’t told my boss I will be off on those days yet because I’m worried they’ll cancel last minute with the lack of panels, guests and big vendors.

And not that I have to give a reason for taking off, but it’s suggested. I feel weird telling my boss “hey, I need to take off on these days because I’m selling at New York Comic Con”. It’s like basically saying “Hey I need to take off from work to make money somewhere else”.

I’ve been working since February and have already taken off 5 days since. I have to take off for one day this week, and I also have to take off for a Friday wedding on Oct 1, which is the weekend before NYCC.

Will it look bad if I ask my boss that I need to take off 2-3 more days the following week? And what reason can I give for taking off? To say to my employer I’m selling at NYCC might look iffy.
>>
File: file.png (615 KB, 621x480)
615 KB
615 KB PNG
>Revenue since May plummets and hasn't recovered
>No engagements on instagram or tiktok despite posting consistently and even sucking instagram's dick and using their whack ass tiktok knock off
>Manufacturer delays
Go on without me I may not survive this year
>>
>>10671513
TF kind of job are you working that taking 5 days off in 7 months is controversial?
Idk where you work or why you would even need to go into detail about why you need time off. You could always say it's personal or a family obligation. It's not their business what you do off the clock unless there's some conflict of interest with you selling in AA in general while at that job.
>>
What’s the best way to handle people asking for details or “advice” about your manufacturers? We’re not talking about key chains and sort of run of the mill stuff, we’re talking about fairly complex manufacturing requirements that in the industry you would typically hire someone to navigate for you. Over the last several months I’ve had numerous dms asking me about the specific composition of my fabrics, my manufacturing contacts and to give them advice on essentially how they might produce competing products.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but I’m also trying to figure out the best way to explain that it’s kind of inappropriate to ask an indie brand to share that kind of info. Is it just me? It is generally considered rude to do that no? Some of them have some *very* specific questions about my manufacturing process gives me real pause as my business is growing quickly.
>>
>>10671611
There are some people in the AA who will share their contacts and Pantones even, but I also watched one of those chain mail dudes tear somebody a new asshole for asking where he sources his raw materials. I think it really depends. I’d never share my info with a rando, but I might share it with a close friend starting out. I don’t think it’s a dog eat dog world, but at the same time it is a competitive market, and part of the artist alley growing pains is learning to research and sort out the good from the bad in materials/manufacturers etc.
>>
>>10671611
When people ask me about producing fabrics, I direct them to spoonflower. Yeah it's not high quality fabrics, but if you're DMing someone asking about where they produce their items, likely you won't be able to afford the minimums for the manufacturers I use. Which is what I tell them, in nicer terms.
>>
>>10671634
Bouncing off anon here, honestly no one will know if you tell them a more well-known source/say you go’ed with a friend. Ie I usually direct people to vograce for charms. Might not be so simple in your case though. Is it a little disingenuous? Maybe, but also no one is entitled to your sources. You can share if you want to, or gently tell them no otherwise. If they get mad, so be it. Not your problem.
>>
>>10671611
>It is generally considered rude to do that no?
A lot of people are unable to grasp the concept of competitiveness, if they catch me in a bad mood I tell them that I have business consulting available for X amount of money and they usually fuck off.
>>
>>10671673
This. Like I’m not trying to cut throats in the AA, but I’m definitely not giving anyone my advice free of charge if I have any reason to believe that they’re trying to replicate what I’m doing. I make a very specific type of item and I distinguish myself by using the best materials possible which I’ve found through years of trial and error, and several hundred dollars down the toilet in testing inferior materials. Why on earth would I just casually tell someone where I ended up? All the time money and effort I spent finding it isn’t something anybody else is entitled to, especially if they’re going to cut into my sales in any way.
>>
>>10671611
Oh I regularly tell people to fuck right off. I get hate messages all the time about it, and people have called me out for not “supporting the community” because my business is quite successful (~150k a year). It’s like it’s never even occurred to them that the reason why my store does so well is because I have put in so much work into my sourcing and contacts and because I don’t make that information public because it’s a fucking business not a community non-profit. I can’t think of a single normie business that would ever in a million years share any of their sourcing/supply chain information.
>>
>>10671513
With COVID it seems irresponsible not to tell them you're going to a large event if you're working in-person. If you're WFH and feel obligated to give a reason, just say you're visiting family/camping/etc, something that would require a long weekend. Otherwise, seven days off in ~8 months is pretty normal, I really wouldn't stress over it. Most studio jobs get 10-14 days PTO minimum (at least in my area).

In design/production, shows/tabling might not be a weird concept to them. I let my boss know as a freelancer that I typically did 4-6 cons per year, and they were totally fine with it. You could try to explain it as more art-focused than money-focused, but plenty of designers also have side businesses.

>>10671673
Has anyone ever taken you up on it? I feel like for a certain price, I'd pay for a supplier source for new/complex products desu
>>
>>10671691
>Has anyone ever taken you up on it?
Exactly once, and it was a girl who was into it as a hobby thing and who clearly had more money than time/willingness to fuck around with suppliers.
>>
>>10671691
NTA but even if people paid I probably wouldn’t do it. I was quoted at ~3k in development costs for a new product through a guide and just opted instead to go trial and error. I spent about $600-800 on my own sorting things out, and it took a few months but ultimately it made more sense for me to go directly to different places.
>>
>>10671611
>What’s the best way to handle people asking for details or “advice” about your manufacturers?
"no"
>>10671673
>if they catch me in a bad mood I tell them that I have business consulting available for X amount of money
I actually sell a tutorial on how to make my stuff, and I also sell the supplies too. Lazy rich people buy the product I make, while poor creative people buy the instructions and supplies to make it themselves. If your the best in your field, you don't really have to worry about those people becoming competition.
>>
I accidently ordered the wrong size charms (way smaller than they should be) and can't have them remade without spending money again because it was my fuck up. Would selling them at a very very low price to recoup costs cannibalize the sales of my normal sized charms? They are a series of charms that have to match in size and the restock only has a limited amount of characters.
>>
>>10671904
If you didn't want to directly affect the sales of the full-size charms later on, you could sell these ones in discounted blind bags. If you wanted to move them even faster you could put multiple in each.
>>
>>10671691
It is a WFH job. I’m sure my boss would be fine and actually be hyped if I said I was taking off because I was a featured Artist at NYCC because he knows I have an illustration background. I guess I just feel weird saying I’m taking off from work because I’m selling artwork at a convention.

I’m still only a “temp” employee which means I get no PTO or benefits. I clock into ADP to get paid hourly and clock out when I’m not working.
>>
>ordered 25 zines that are a complication of my inktober pieces
>I decided to order them at size 8.5 x 11 because the original art pieces were done on 9 x 12 paper and are inked and colored with copic marker
>realize I should’ve ordered them at a smaller size

I figured a larger sized zine would show off the details of my art pieces better but now I’m thinking no one will buy them because they’re big.

How much would you charge to sell an 8.5 x 11 zine with 31 fully colored pages?
>>
>>10671953
Isn't that just like a normal A4 book size? You should be fine, I don't think it's "too big", specially if you can see the texture and such of the artworks.
>>
> "I got into x convention but I'm not sure if I should go because covid uwu"
Then why the fuck did you apply? Quit wasting everyone's time and just don't apply if you're that spooked.
>>
>>10672242
not sure who you are replying to but applications are usually months before a con and the future of covid is uncertain, so its hard to make that decision months ahead, and there is no loss from applying, seeing covid is still bad in the local area, and then not accept the artist table.
>>
you gulls realize you are losing customers when you tell people they can't take photos of items at your table, right?
>>
>>10672262
no, just scan the qr code and stop being entitled. i don't want to sell to you anyway if you're like this.
>>
>>10672266
What do you mean no? Its a fact, when you don't let people share your stuff with their friends, you lose sales. If your too sensitive, just say that, don't act like its not a detriment to your sales.
>>
>>10672282
lol no. i don't need you in the way of actual customers.
>>
>>10672262
> implying your business is that important to me
>>
>>10672282
Kek entitled. Your business in particular isn't important.
>>
>>10672262
A convention one time had to tell the fedex on site not to let people print at them because people where taking pictures of artist's prints and printing them out at the fedex.
>>
>>10672244
Yeah plus a lot of cons grandfathered you in from the cancelled rona cycle. I’m questioning rn whether it’s worth my costs/time to follow up with several cons I have a seat from before Rona. Can’t decide if attendance will be higher from corona deprivation, or will be abysmal/cancelled last minute. My items are pretty high cost so if they cancel I’m really fucked financially.
>>
>>10672282
You know. They can buy it. Then take all the pictures they want and share anywhere they’d like. Art theft is unbelievably brazen at conventions. It’s one of the reasons why I stopped selling art altogether and switched over to crafts.
>>
judging by the people who got in VS everyone who got waitlisted, Katsucon AA 2022 is just going to consist of furry and Tumblr-tier art lol
>>
>>10672322
>>10672358
what does it matter if someone takes a photos to get it printed themselves? You really think your "no photos" sign is stopping them and making them instead buy a print? The vast majority of people taking photos are doing so to show friends or family to make purchasing decisions. I'm a craft artist, people *regularly* take photos of my table or even video call with friends to help them make purchasing decisions. You gulls must have absolutely terrible artwork if you are blaming "art thieves" as the reason you can't make money at cons. You lose money from driving off customers wanting to share your art with friends, not when someone takes a photo to print the art themselves.
>>
>>10672392
>I'm a craft artist
That’s why your opinion doesn’t matter. I don’t allow pics at my table and never have and I regularly sell out. Customers who can’t understand why it’s rude to do that aren’t customers I care about. I already have trouble meeting demand, I’m not going to bend my long running rules and allow things I’m not comfortable with to try to pander to the 1/10 people who do that and *might* actually buy something.
>>
>>10672357
>if they cancel I’m really fucked financially
Relatable. I’m actually really worried that I’ll order a ton of shit and then one or more cons get canceled over some stupid local surge among people who couldn’t be bothered to get vaxxed.
>>
>>10672394
>things I’m not comfortable
why would you possibly be uncomfortable with it? The worst case, unlikely scenario, nothing bad happens. Best case scenario, you make money. Its not different for a craft artist or anyone else.
>>
>>10672396
NTA but lots of people have a problem with pics at their table in part due to privacy concerns. Stalkers, weirdos, sjws who are tryna put you on blast for drawing character x whitewashed “skinny washed” or whatever. Most of the artist alleys I do have a full hall policy of not allowing photos. Many dealers also don’t allow them because they’re selling counterfeit merch or don’t want you to be able to price check. There are tons of reasons beyond art theft why people don’t allow pics.
>>
>>10672401
>Stalkers, weirdos, sjws who are tryna put you on blast for drawing character x whitewashed “skinny washed” or whatever.
practically every artist has public social media though, so that makes no sense to be ok with social media but no photos at cons. Also, a no photos sign won't stop those people from taking a photo anyways.
>Many dealers also don’t allow them because they’re selling counterfeit merch or don’t want you to be able to price check.
sounds like a selfish anti-consumer reason to me.
>>
>>10672262
>not having a business card with fitting examples of your table goods on the card
>>
>>10672441
anon wants to bootleg prints, don't reason with her.
>>
>>10672441
We do all have a business card. anon is just a cunt who probably wants to steal products or ideas. I have a OR code print out for people to scan that goes directly to my shop so I don't even cater to business card tourists anymore.
>>
>>10672450
One thing I find mystifying is that of course the artist alley is a great place to get ideas for new products but like if you need to take pictures it’s probably because you’re trying to clone those ideas exactly. A good friend of mine on the circuit sells plush hats and people try to take really detailed photos all the time to try and rip off her patterns. Especially grandmas/moms with a modicum of sewing experience who are trying to convince their kids not to buy since they can “make it home”
>>
>>10672404
>practically every artist has public social media
I have social media but it’s not associated with my real name/face. After a friend of mine got doxxed for drawing a Steven universe character “too thin” I’ve been way more cautious about how much of my personal info is out there and associated with my art.
>>
>>10672500
I've had the same issue with moms trying to blatantly steal ideas. I decided to ban a local from buying my crafts because she was disassembling them and trying to recreate them with polymer clay.
>>
>>10672506
God that’s so obnoxious. Even normie craft shows typically ban any photos for exactly the same reason. I both craft and have my things manufactured at a larger scale in China. All my manufacturer needs is some specific pictures of what you want and they’re happy to fill in any blanks. So when I see people turning and inspecting something while taking pics it’s a big red flag. Also, people who pick an item up, take a picture of them wearing it or holding it, then not buy it are just so tacky.
>>
>>10672506
At least she was actually buying something. Most of the time when I deal with this it’s Karen moms with no intent to buy who both insult my crafting while also blatantly attempting to steal said craft idea and promise their kids to make them one just like it.
>>
>>10672509
Every normie show I’ve ever been to bans photos of the actual crafts and those ladies will tear you a new asshole for anything that seems remotely like you’re trying to replicate their work.
>>
>>10672441
I'm not sure how a business card relates to this
>>10672450
Anon, if the only reason people take photos of a booth is to steal the artwork, why do people take photos of craft artist booths?
>>10672500
>but like if you need to take pictures it’s probably because you’re trying to clone those ideas exactly.
Anon, if I wanted to clone people's ideas, i'd just go to etsy or pick up a business card and look at your products online. I genuinely do not believe for a second you have ever had an artist alley table if you don't think the main reason people take photos is to share the photos with friends to help with purchasing decisions. It is so common for me to see at my table, that you either have to have never sold in artist alley or are just a terrible artist that gets no traffic.
>>10672504
Someone willing to dox your over a SU character doesn't care about your "no photos" sign. Its like a "no trespassing" sign, you are only keeping the honest people away. To say you do artist alley, while also saying you you don't "associated with my real name/face" makes absolutely no logical sense. Unless you are wearing a full face mask while selling at your table, you are absolutely associating your face with your art.
>>
>>10672589
>if the only reason people take photos of a booth is to steal the artwork, why do people take photos of craft artist booths?

see >>10672509 >>10672506 >>10672500
>>10672517
>>
>>10672589
Have you not ever actually been a seller in the artist alley? Every single person in my friend group has had some variation of art theft/pattern copying. Even if the intent isn’t to reproduce it, it’s still pretty fucking rude to take pictures of someone else’s work for your own enjoyment and not compensate them. We’re not talking about Disney or a major company here, we’re talking about individual artists. It’s like standing there for an hour enjoying a street performers music without putting anything in their case, it’s just tacky and rude.
>>
>>10672517
This. In my hometown there’s actually like a sort of farmers market set up for crafters specifically and photos aren’t allowed in the entire building. This isn’t specific to artists in artist alley being dicks. Hell in Japan you’re not allowed to take photos in pretty much any retail space, artist or clothing.
>>
>>10672589
>To say you do artist alley, while also saying you you don't "associated with my real name/face" makes absolutely no logical sense

My day job is in financial management and I do the artist alley for fun. I wear cosplay, and don’t associate my real name/face/contact info with any of the work I do in the AA because I know it would have an impact on my day job. It’s not that unusual. Only a handful of people I know actually use their real name anyways. With the amount of crazy people frothing at the mouth these days it’s understandable why people would want to have at least some minor layers of anonymity.
>>
>>10672631
>Every single person in my friend group has had some variation of art theft/pattern copying.
and how does banning photos at con prevent that, exactly? If they want to steal patterns, they'd just take your business card and look at your stuff on your shop later.
>>
What are you all using to sort your stock at home lately? Specifically charms. I've got a good amount of designs and used to use holiday ornament organizers but I want something more vertical and easy to access.
>>
>>10672698
I use a sock organizer. It’s pretty handy for sorting small things if you’ve got quite a few.
>>
>>10672633
Even normie businesses often don’t allow this. Try taking a bunch of pictures in a jewelry store and see where it gets you
>>
>>10671953
A4 size should be fine, although I’ve noticed in general that people like to buy smaller sized prints, zines, booklets, etc. i guess because they’re easier to carry, cheaper and you can make a fun wall collages with small prints
>>
>>10671948 here again.
>>10671691
>seven days off in ~8 months is pretty normal

I already took 3 days off in June (for my wedding) and 3 days off this month.

This October, in addition to NYCC, I will need to take off Friday, Oct 1 for a wedding out-of-state, and I am scheduled for wisdom tooth extraction surgery on Friday, Oct 15. I just realized that’s 3 fridays in a row I’m taking off. Overall that will be 11 days off within 9 months. I could always push my tooth surgery back if it seems like too many days at once, but I already pushed it back once.

Sure this won’t look bad?

On a positive note, I was finally offered a full-time position. It doesn’t start until Nov 1 but I get PTO days. What sucks is I’m still being paid the same rate when I was brought on in February.
>>
>>10673410
FFS you are fine and if you just got promoted, your job obviously does not have a problem with you taking a normal amount of time off for normal things. Are you ok? You say you got married but you sound underaged. Did your husband give you permission to go online?
>>
>>10673410
Literally nobody asked for a life update
>>
File: 1631943768060.jpg (375 KB, 631x1199)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>
>>10673594
Wrong thread anon.
>>
those of you who sell genshin merch, do you find that your genshin stuff does well compared to your other stuff or is the competition too steep? (i know this is subjective and dependent on art but just looking for insight)
>>
How many of you sell and make original work? Does it sell well?
>>
>>10673911
Genshin hype is gone, unless you’re really well known it’s going to just waste your time.
>>
>>10673408
I now want to see a table set up like a dining table with an artist that sells food accessories merch.
>>
Hey all, I’m new to making charms (only made prints before) and I was wondering what’s a good size for them? I notice a big range between 1 inch to 5 inches and I mainly just want to create 1 character or 1 ship on a charm- is 2 inches reasonable for that?
>>
>>10674149
I used to set up my table like an afternoon tea when I sold sweets deco crafts. There are probably pictures of it floating around.
>>
I’m the type of person who hates carrying shit and I hate relying on others. What’s the best and most efficient way to transport my supplies/display stuff/prints when using public transportation? Like, what’s the best luggage?
>>
>>10675543
I was thinking of getting one of these rolling briefcases for my art prints/zines/comic paper/drawing tools.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083GH3L2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_61Y4SX7FRJSE1P055MQY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and then a bigger suitcase for table fixture/display units. Thoughts? Or is there a more efficient way of carrying everything?
>>
>>10673996
Does your stuff suck? I did a con last weekend and sold out of almost all of my genshin stuff
>>
>>10675543
You could probably ship it to the con/hotel too.
>>
>>10675543
If advise you to go to tj maxx/marshalls/burlington and get a nice 360 roller suitcase from Samsung or something. You won’t find nice suitcases that cheap anywhere else.
>>10675803
I would never in a million years do this with the issues I’ve had with ups/usps/fedex. Betting your weekend sales on a us mailing service being on time and the reception not fucking it up is not a gamble I’d take.
>>
>>10675885
Seconding TJ maxx for suitcases and organizers too for that matter.
>>
>>10675885
>I would never in a million years do this with the issues I’ve had with ups/usps/fedex.
I've done it a few times ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
only with half my merch though, since I had room to care the other half.
>>
>>10675948
NTA but my sales are mostly online and while I’ve rarely had any problems with individual orders to my customers I have problems with bulk shipments of product literally all the time. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever had one that wasn’t fucked up somehow.
>>
>>10675974
In my experience the heavier the package the more likely it is to get fucked. I guess it’s because there’s less motivation or energy to deal with a 59 pound box if it’s inertia is already in the wrong direction. I never have issues with my plushes and lighter items. But every bulk print order I do (40 pounds or heavier) there are problems.

I can’t drive because I’m legally blind so I invested in some damn good travel and packing gear and I’ve done alright. Never hurts to Uber either, that’s a business expense after all.
>>
Got any bad customer stories?
>>
>>10676026
More like bad non-customer stories:
>I could make that at home
Then do it
>$20 for this?!? I can get it cheaper over there
Then buy it from them
> itS mY bIRtHdAy
Happy birthday. You still have to pay for your stuff
>>
>>10676026
Kinda non-customer like >>10676076
>My dog just died, can I have ___ for free?
No.
>>
>>10675974
>>10675975
I've shipped over 200 bulky boxes (16inch cubed 6+ pound) over the past 2 years and only 2 of them got lost. That is a higher rate than my light weight ~4 ounce packages I guess but not by much.
I worked in a fedex warehouse for a year and its easy for a small package to get lost, slipping underneath a truck or rollers or something, but I have no idea how a large package gets lost, so its always odd to me when it does happen. Only time we'd "lose" big packages is when the shipping label falls off or got damaged.
>>
>>10676026
I’ve had countless people try to take pictures of my work and then leave. Not really a customer, but I’ve also walked into a con and seen another vendor selling my art on their t shirts.
>>
>>10676166
Did you do anything about it? Being there in person with proof ought to scare em at least.
>>
I've taken pics of people's work at cons but it's always just to show my friends or ask if they want me to grab it for them.
>>
>>10676026
Had a set of two books (part 1 and part 2) on my table. Someone stole my display copy of part 1 by leaving part 2 open across both display stands so I wouldn't notice right away. Then they came back the next day and stole my display for part 2! I've since started defacing all my display copies with permanent stickers and pages removed from the end. Fuck the audacity of that person in particular though.
>>
>>10676166
Dang. Idk if it’s actually you but I have a friend who found her art on t shirts in the dealers room. As if their truckloads of bootleg goods weren’t enough.

>>10676808
Wow that’s a new kind of trashy. What a fucking tool.
>>
>>10676026
I had a customer scam me for a $15 item kek and claim a non-receipt chargeback even though I literally handed the item to her at the convention.

I also get several complaints about my prices every single convention I go to. But I almost always sell out so I never bargain with hagglers and then they get kind of snotty and try to pretend like they didn’t even want the item to begin with.
>>
>>10675462
I think 2" is about standard, yeah
>>
>>10673911
i think the issue with it is that there's too many characters. I want to see prints with character groups (knights, event stories, animals, whatever) because if someone tries to do a print with all the characters, it'll get crowded fast.
>>
What are people's thoughts on custom keycaps as a product idea? I think they would be very cute but a pain to have made.
>>
How many keychains and stickers do you guys get made?
I do well selling online and am doing cons for the first time next year, but I have no idea how to stock for an in-person event.
Thanks for any help
>>
I’ve had a few people claim that their “delivered” letter mail (via etsy) have not been received lately, and luckily they’re all stickers so actually I don’t have a problem replacing them. But is it bad form to just refund or resend without question? I don’t wanna come off as “yep you can scam me anytime” but I also don’t wanna make a huge deal about a $3 sticker…are there questions/procedures I should ask first, even as a front? For reference etsy marked them delivered over 2 weeks ago in both cases…
>>
>>10677078
I always re-send it since it's no trouble but if they make it a habit I would just refund them and refuse any future orders.
>>
Who else is at PDX geek craft expo? How are your sales?
>>
>>10676166
May I ask how you handled this? I’ve also seen vendors selling my stolen artwork as well…
>>
>>10677138
Not that anon, but take pictures of the offending items and go straight to the con's management. The very least they should go is get the vendor to take them down, best case scenario they will get banned.
>>
Ok. So I have a friend who is trying to start in the artist alley to make some side cash. I agreed to help her out and kind of show her the ropes. She helped table a convention for me and I helped her with the application process and stock etc. I noticed her inventory is starting to look a *lot* like mine, and she’s not tracing or stealing my work, but she’s made versions of all my most popular selling prints that are pretty damn similar. Like same characters in the same poses and concepts. What do?
>>
>>10677477
Sadly these things happen the best thing to do is make your product better. In the age of the internet people get "inspired" by other peoples work all the time

In less advice get better friends
>>
>>10677477
I mean you don’t own those poses/characters. It sucks but the AA is pretty competitive and people do this sort of thing all the time. I agree with >>10677491 get gud son.
>>
>>10677491
To be fair, people copying your ideas from the internet can’t generally see your sales numbers first hand and target y oh r best selling items.

>>10677477
But yeah anon get new friend wtf
>>
>>10677477
If it makes you feel any better my old table mate stole my pattern for tentacle hats then had them manufactured in China and undercut my prices. It happens. On the surface the artist alley is pretty chill, but you don’t have to look far to find cut throat behavior. Still sucks tho.
>>
>>10677477
People I’ve known who do this kind of thing usually end up abandoning me after I help them. I’d drop them asap and stop helping them. They’re using you.
>>
>>10677477
>Like same characters in the same poses and concepts.
So, just like every fan art artist?
>>
>>10677739
This. Part of the artist alley growing pains is learning the tricks of the trade. I’m not rude, but I don’t give out info or “help people out” with their tables/branding concept.
>>
A con I am attending is doing the bare minimum for covid. Only asking for masks. No vaccination cards or tests for the staff. Given their other responses I am considering backing out.
>>
>>10677799
If you’re high risk probably should. Otherwise you’ll be fine.
>>
>>10677799
Tbh masks probably won’t even be enforced based on this
>>
>>10677799
Then don't go. It's time to divide up society
>>
>>10677824
>this
I don't trust them to actually enforce the mask rule
>>
just got waitlisted for a con I usually go to every year. Should I save hope or just write it off? It's pretty rare to get off the waitlist no?
>>
>>10677974
Getting off the waitlist is probably less rare now since some artists are still hesitant to attend cons even when they get accepted. I've gotten off a waitlist twice before in the past.
>>
>>10677977
Thanks for the hope anon! I just hope they’ll give me enough time to stock up at least a little bit.
>>
>>10677974
Even with the pandemic its best to write it off and look for other events.

I feel you, I got wait listed for my usual con in 2020 and wont be able to apply again until 2022
>>
>>10676995
Keebs are becoming a really popular hobby thanks to Tiktok but imo they're not worth it for AA. They take a long time to make (unless you're getting them manufactured, in which case it's still expensive), are easy to steal, and not what most con attendees are looking for/interested in.
>>
>>10677799
depends on the size of the con and where its at. A big con in the south? Back out. Small or medium con in a blue state? It'll be fine.

>>10677974
>It's pretty rare to get off the waitlist no?
Not at all. If you do get off the waitlist, it'll likely be within 1 or 2 weeks of the acceptance/rejection emails being sent out. If someone gives up their spot, its usually either soon after emails are sent out or the day of or before the con. I've been waitlisted a few times and then accepted very soon after several times.
>>
Is anybody else getting totally shafted by the electricity rationing in China? I have a convention next weekend and my supplier basically just told me that due to the rationing they can’t get anything done. Fucking ccp ugh.

Any advice on last minute fill in goods I could have in hand in a week or so?
>>
>>10678253
No anon your def not the only one. I was supposed to get fabric printed for some of my work and they said the entire province cannot accept orders due to environmental restrictions. Now basically my only option is spoon flower or trying to get it from another country but j doubt I have time to sample and quality check. I feel bad for my manufacturers because they’re basically not getting paid at all rn.

There are some us based sticker and pin companies if you google. They can probably get it done in time. Maybe even keychains if you’re lucky
>>
>>10678253
Jfc thats why my shipping jumped from 132 to 190 USD
>>
>>10678261
Rellllaaattaabblle my factory just told me that shipping is now ~$390. I was quoted at $240 at the time.

Apparently the restrictions are because the local government officials will be fired if they don’t meet eco quotas. Ironically factories have now started using diesel generators which are wayyyy worse but technically don’t count in the numbers.
>>
>>10678253
You almost certainly have a local print shop that can do a variety of goods on the quick. I’d start there. Expect to have fewer customization options though, there really isn’t a lot of infrastructure in the us for this sort of thing.
>>
>>10678259
Honestly if you got refundable tools, I’d drop out and pass it onto the waist list if you’re totally fucked.
>>
>>10678253
Jesus I haven’t ordered anything recently so I was wondering how that would mess up our stuff. Are we all fucked for the holidays? There doesn’t seem to be any foreseeable end for a while…
>>
>>10678475
If you order now your stuff *should* be ready but the ccp is really unpredictable and periodically cracks down for no real reason. You can filter by country on alibaba and find other suppliers that aren’t having this issue.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.