[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 42 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: help-team-2952155[1].jpg (139 KB, 1300x919)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
Post your cosplay help questions here instead of shitting up the catalog with your one-question threads!
>Old Thread:
>>10568892
Stupid Jfash Questions Thread:
>>10628093
Crossplay:
>>10502682
Hair and Makeup:
N/A

You may ask prop, sewing, or wig related questions in this thread as well, but it may be beneficial for you to post one of the following threads for specific advice.
Crafting Thread
N/A
Sewing/Fiber Arts/ NeedleCraft:
>>10615499
Wig Thread:
N/A
>>
Will I regret using watered down tacky glue to do extreme spikes on a wig? I'm worried about a white cast
>>
Where to cop a high quality wig that will actually look like this when styled?

Also, is it even possible to get such a short wig to look nice when you have a lot of thick hair to hide under it?
>>
>>10629350
Just buy a human hair one ffs. and try cornrowing your hair
>>
>>10629390
>human hair
I never implied that I was looking for a synthetic one?

Would be nice to learn about some reputable brands, which was why I posted.
>>
Anyone know of a decent quality len kagamine cosplay I could get somewhere? Like, a specific taobao listing or whatever
>>
>>10629425
Go on Taobao and search for your desired costume. Pick one from an older store with high ratings. Always look at the product photos and check the measurements. It's not that hard, please don't be lazy.
>>
>>10629326
From what I hear, it does have a slight coloration. Typically tacky glue is only used at the tips and hairspray everywhere else. Funnily enough I've heard good things about gorilla glue instead of tacky glue
>>
>>10628959
Not my story, but I did read a thread from cosplay judges talking about this. Many said that they can tell at a glance when a costume has been bought from China because there's a specific gold trim that's made using sublimation (not really sure what that is, just parroting what I read) that's unobtainable in the US unless specifically purchased from one of those cosplay shops. One judge said she gives those people an opportunity to redeem themselves by asking where they sourced the gold trim, but typically they don't have an answer and that's how she knows they just bought the costume. I would imagine asking for progress photos would out these fakers too. Do you happen to know what started this? I only caught the tail end of the conversation but now I wanna be a chismosa.
>>
>>10629560
The only show I ever judged had someone who bought their costume.
The judge that noticed it had made that costume before, and noticed a glaring design that was present on popular store bought ones (i think a symbol was changed to avoid copyright issues)
The show was small, and the attendee was only 19 or 20, so we just went through the judging like normal, let her walk, and just struck her from consideration without her knowing.
Your job as a guest, even just a judge, is to give the convention attendees a good time. Even the liars.
>>
>>10629550
Oh I've already been looking dude. It would just help if I knew of a specific costume that someone bought here that was good quality, don't wanna get something completely different from the photos.

Are the measurements listed generally accurate for each costume? Or are they usually copypasted across male or female ones
>>
Anyone know where I can get a snake-skin jacket similar to Majima's from Yakuza?

The closer the better. Any help would be awesome.
>>
>>10629615
>don't wanna get something completely different from the photos.
>Are the measurements listed generally accurate for each costume? Or are they usually copypasted across male or female ones
Again, these points can be resolved if you do your own research and choose an older (well-established) store with high ratings. I recommend reading through actual Chinese customer review posted by mainlanders with legit concerns and seeing how other customers replied to them, not rando overseas white teen reviews on the listings.
>>
What alternatives to Plastidip would you recommend for priming eva foam?
In my country Plastidip is expensive and hard to find so I used Dupli-color custom wrap, but it didn't work as well as I expected and now I'm looking for alternatives.
>>
How do you fake it till you make it if you're bad at makeup?
>>
>>10629560
Telling apart bought from handmade is easy, and to answer your question dye sublimation is one way to add a pattern or design to fabric, like what you would see on a demon slayer robe thing. It's used for many applications besides fabric, and is not the only way to add a pattern or design to fabric

What is a chimosa?
>>
>>10629796
>Telling apart bought from handmade is easy,
Yeah, I feel like it would be but I have no judging experience so I just shared what I did hear from judges. And thank you! That's a fun fact.

>What is a chimos(o/a)?
It's spanish slang for someone who is nosy or a gossiper. It comes from the word "chisme" or gossip. So in other words "I wanna be nosy".
>>
what can i wear underneath this white underwear part to prevent unfortunate cameltoes? I've never seen any underwear with a high waistpart like this
>>
>>10629867
put a bandaid over the slit
>>
>>10629678
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=faux+snake+skin+jacket
>>
File: image[1].jpg (35 KB, 784x732)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>10629867
If you've got a really fat pussy and the bandaid tip from >>10629882 doesn't work for you, you could try a cameltoe guard. There's even plastic cameltoe guards for the really hardcore cases.
>>
>>10629867
you're a fucking retard if you're going to wear the underwear that goes with the outfit.
>>
>>10629907
no u
>>
>>10629788
Flexbond is the best IMO, but Mod Podge or any other PVA glue will work.
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation (or guide) for temporary fabric adhesives? Specifically, I need it to float fleece fabric on an embroidery hoop.
>>
>>10629793
Someone said they started with ghoul and horror makeup and then learned how to tone it down with time. I'm pretty sure it was in a recent thread so check the archives.
>>
File: Ochako Chuckle.png (704 KB, 1334x750)
704 KB
704 KB PNG
>>10629905
>If you've got a really fat pussy
Anon, please my sides. Puffy pussy gang
>>
What are the best vampire fangs?
>>
File: Lupingreen2.png (935 KB, 611x847)
935 KB
935 KB PNG
I can cosplay as any color jacket lupin but something that has been bothering me for a while was where I can get his type of ties? I researched only type of tie that I've seen that's like that is something called a knit tie but it looks more like a scarf with it's texture than a tie, any idea if his tie has a specific name to it or if there are certain stores that sell em?
>>
>>10629556
>gorilla glue
Are you memeing or serious? And if you're serious can you be more specific about which one of their glues? They manufacture a lot of adhesives but my guess would be their spray adhesive or wood glue
>>
>>10630815
Serious. I'll try to find the video where a cosplayer tested it on wigs against another glue (I think tacky?). The experiment was born out of the meme though, so I guess technically the answer to your question is both. As to whether it was spray or liquid, that's a good question. I believe it was spray but it's been awhile. I'll report back when I've found the video.
>>
>>10630822
>>10630815
Found it. Here's the vid: https://www.tiktok.com/@moxiemegan/video/6942642063770995974?lang=en&is_copy_url=0&is_from_webapp=v1&sender_device=pc&sender_web_id=6973105794871051781
The creator did a couple more tests on dark wigs, curls, and a ponytail wig. Also the comparison was against Got2B, not tacky glue -- my apologies.
>>
>>10630722
it's a square end neck tie, anon
>>
>>10630355
Depends how much money you're willing to spend. Good and cheap is scarecrow. If you're willing to spend in the range of hundreds to thousands of dollars I can give you a short list of places that do customs but they have longer lead times because they're made from scratch and you need to submit a dental impression
>>10630722
If you're having trouble finding a typical necktie with a square end, you can look into knit ties. Also if you've got the patience, you can sew your own tie pretty easily. It's just a few strips of fabric cut on the bias that are slightly wider on one end
>>
>>10630822
>>10630830
Thank you so much anon, I'm glad to see a good substitute for got2b because I've used their stuff on synthetic wigs before and didn't really like the results
>>
>>10630841
Happy to help :) Good luck on your project!
>>
>>10630839
Thank you.
>>
may not be the best place to ask but
where is a good place for someone who is looking to start wearing makeup to buy cheap shit?
I have autism and want to start making my nails akatsuki purple
>>
>>10630722
Seconding >>10630839, I cosplay Lupin and I use knit ties. The thing that works with them is that the tie is the same width, so if you cut/sew a regular necktie it'll still have a tapered shape. They're really not too much thicker than regular ties, and besides since you're using a clip it's not too noticeable.
>>
>>10631259
cvs, wallgreens, target, etc.
>>
>>10631260
If it's not too much to ask, could I see some pics on how they look with the rest of the fit?
>>
File: ties.jpg (374 KB, 2510x1200)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>10631298
Here are four of my color sets. The ties a mix of different brands, though most are polyester. The yellow tie is a wool/mohair mix and slightly thicker than the rest.
>>
Any suggestions on how to go about making a skirt like this? I don't necessarily want it to be a perfect 1:1 replica but any ideas on how I should begin are welcome. Is there any way to make fabric look like "petals" that I could sew into a petticoat?
>>
>>10631613
You'll need a hoop for this since a petti alone, even one that's made with actual petticoat netting and not organza, won't be strong enough to hold up this much fabric.
>>
I've never done much with LEDs before, but I'm working on making this skirt. Would I NEED to use arduino to make the top row fade in and out like that? Or is there a simpler way?
I found something that makes LEDs fade in and out instead of just on vs off, so is there something that could just turn them on and off automatically?
>>
>>10631310
any good places I can find jackets that don't cost more than my car?
>>
>>10631613
This is a tough project for sure. I agree with the other anon, you're going to need a hoop skirt for structure and I also think that a petticoat isn't the right direction for this. A petticoat is zero structure, all fluff. And while that sounds appealing to give the skirt body, it means that you won't have a stable foundation to build the "petals" upon. Furthermore, it would be near impossible to create those rigid upright shapes with fabric and thread alone -- especially the types of silky, light, and soft fabrics that you would be incline to use for a flower costume because they also provide no structure and are finnicky/slippery to work with.

In other words, I think you should take this in a new direction.
If I were making this, I would use a short hoop skirt and then sew. On top of that would be a skirt made with two layers: the under layer would a sturdy and non-stretch fabric that would be able to handle the weight of the petal materials and glue and the second, top layer would be a fabric or material that matches the color of the petals. Then, to create the petals I would use the methods used in one of these two tutorials by Kinpatsu cosplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-8L2n5pveU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSZPfYJteA. Then attach the petals to the two-layer skirt with a hefty glue like contact cement. It would be tough with the way the top is designed, but it would be ideal to make a shoulder harness to distribute the weight off of the waistband. The top I would make into a dress separate from the skirt for ease of wear and so that the bodice isn't pulled on the weight of the skirt.

Anyway, that's what I would do. I hope that helps.
>>
>>10631763
Yes you do. Good news is that I found a shop that sells pre-made led strips with effects. Bad news is that you won't be able to get both colors in that alternate pattern that fade in an out unless you program it yourself. You might be able to get around this by buying two premade wires and weaving them in an out so that only the right color is visible I suppose? Here's the links anyway.
https://youtu.be/xzfkttL2-jI?t=133
http://www.wearabletutorials.com/diy-wearable-technology-kit-shop/
>>
>>10631976
oooh. Thanks, anon! I'll look into these.
>>
>>10631613
You need solid structure, not a petticoat. My thought would be doing some tests on scaling up kanzashi petals, making sure the fabric is stiffened/interfaced, and building that onto a hoop
>>
>>10632038
>scaling up kanzashi petals
fuck no. that's fucking retarded advice.
>>
>>10631940
Amazon or Aliexpress have $30-50 ones that are pretty good. Just check the reviews and photos to make sure it's not super-cheap fake-pockets 100% polyester or anything. There are a lot of Chinese brands with various names that sell suits and/or jackets with a picture similar to related that I usually go for to get my cosplay suits (make sure you double-check to see if they use Asian sizes or not), nice quality stuff.
You can also thrift or use sites like ASOS but the issue is that men's fashion usually goes for muted tones rather than bright Lupintic colors. "Quirky suit" brands like Opposuits I personally don't like because of the material but YMMV.
>>
>>10629905
lmao i fucking love that this product is called cuchini
>>
>>10631978
Good luck! :)
>>
>>10632038
I can see why your idea is to lean in the direction of the kanzashi petals because of the shape, but I don't think that would work at the size and rigidity anon is working with. No amount of starching is going to be able to uphold those shapes and sharp lines. And the interfacing would have to be heavyweight to add enough support to stand upright which in turn would weigh the petals down. I think this would be a great idea if anon was working on a smaller scale though. And I agree that a solid foundation like a hoop is necessary.
>>
Newfag here (not trying to start anything or stir up drama I just am really paranoid), my favorite character is Ramlethal from Guilty Gear and I was wondering if it would be fine if I could cosplay her (without skin darkening since some people consider it to be black/brown face). My black cosplayer friend said I could get a light spray tan and it be fine as long as it's not too drastic from my actual skin (I'm pale) but I don't know how I feel about that or if people would get offended or say I'm racist?
>>
>>10632439
Don't do the tan. At best, it's unnecessary and adds nothing of value to your costume. At worst, you'll be accused of intentionally darkening your skin (even though it's not blackfacing, you still are intentionally trying to make your skin darker). You're fine the way you are.
>>
>>10632439
It's likely not worth the effort and backlash to do a spray tan for the cosplay. If you absolutely must darken up, see if you can naturally tan yourself a bit, but this is also likely to not worth it (plus raising your risk of skin cancer).

>>10631259
Try drugstore stuff or like Target's E.L.F. line. Watch some demos to get a feel of how to put on makeup and what sort of makeup might work for your skin tone/type. Invest in the necessary tools (!!!).
>nails
Get the $1 mini bottles from stores like Sally's, you'll likely be practicing how to apply cleanly first before you invest in a pricier bottle.
>>
File: ni9svpe5dh571.jpg (59 KB, 1080x1080)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
How do I get started with this
>>
>>10632789
Look up cosplay tutorials for making body armor. You can probably find tutorials for other Samus cosplays, or Halo, or other game characters with similar cyber armor that's closely fitted to the body.
>>
>>10632790
>>10632789
Kamui Cosplay, Adam Savage, Evil Ted and Punished Props in YouTube are all great sources.
Search for "Cosplay EVA Foam Armor".
>>
File: Full-rayskin.jpg (27 KB, 750x313)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Whats a good alternative to traditional samegawa? I have some wooden katana's I'm using for a cosplay and can't find a good alternative. I really just need a good material that has some grip on there for the wrappings. I feel like some kinda textured vinyl or something has to exist but I can't quite find anything that seems affordable.
>>
>>10633102
I'm an idiot and realized faux textured leather would do the job just fine. I'm just trying to find a good replacement for the silk cord for the wrapping now. Trying to find something local or at least with fast shipping so I can knock this out this weekend.
>>
What's the best way to cut foam board, like the kind found at home depot/lowe's? I've tried using box cutters, but it's so thick the blades bend and I get uneven edges. Can I just use a table saw, jigsaw, or circular saw? Any techniques to keep my edges clean?

I'm fairly familiar with woodworking, but idk how much that will carry over.
>>
>>10632855
>>10632790
Both of these, and my 2¢ is to start with cardboard mockups to get the shape and fit right. You can get a shit ton for free at most grocery/drug stores just by asking for empty boxes from the back.
>>
>>10633148
Popular go to for foam is a scroll saw or band saw. I personally just use a jig saw to get the basic shape and go back over it with my belt sander. If I had the space/money I would 100% use a bandsaw. Pretty sure if you use a table saw it will flat out melt the pink insulation foam. You would probably have better luck with EVA (the stuff they use for gym floors) but it all depends on what you're trying to make.
>>
>>10633155
Thanks. I've been using it to make larger props, to keep the weight down. Wood gets fucking heavy after 4 hours of walking the con floor, and this stuff seem rigid enough that I can construct things much the same as I would with wood, but using adhesives instead of screws.
>>
>>10633157
I'm not particularly fond of pink foam at the moment because I feel like besides it not having the same level of flexibility/durability as EVA, I often find myself making more mistakes and finding ways to fill in chips and gaps. Also certain adhesives/aerosols melt the shit out of it. There's also the problem (in my state anyway) where building materials seem to have gone up in price. Anyway, its likely just me being incredibly retarded with a material I didn't do enough research on the first go around, but def agree foam is the way to go if you wanna keep the weight down.
>>
>>10633148
I've used a hot wire cutter with mixed results. It can produce clean cuts and seals your foam at the same time. However, complex cuts can be difficult and you definitely need a respirator + organic filters and well-ventilated room/outside to deal with the fumes.
>>
File: Godot.png (821 KB, 889x1218)
821 KB
821 KB PNG
Anyone have recommendations on what to use for a visor? I saw some guides using a clear red film but I'm wanting something a bit reflective so you wouldn't see my eyes through it.
>>
>>10633150
ntayrt, but cardboard behaves quite differently than eva foam. I'm not so sure that it will make an efficient mock up? That's like using cotton to make a mockup and lycra for the final project.
>>
>>10633180
I don't feel like scrubbing through the video to find the product name, but I know that Punished Props uses something see through, but reflective (ie one-way view) in his mando & boba helmet vid. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSuEIMpj_S4&t=10s
>>
>>10633180
Get a one-way reflective film. They sell them everywhere for car and house windows. It's the ones that let you see inside out, but not outside in (It's actually from the dark side to the bright side, but unless you want to put LEDs inside the visor your side will always be the dark one).
>>
File: download (1) (2).jpg (31 KB, 474x266)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
How do I make a cell tail that can open and close with a button? I want to trick female cosplayers into taking photos getting absorbed by me so I can jack off from my vore fetish.
>>
File: EzAewShVUAkgycT.png (2.22 MB, 2000x888)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
Sewing noob here, would either of these patterns work for this cosplay and if so, which one would be better (and if neither work, what other kinds of pattern should I be looking for)?
>>
>>10633417
Left would not work well. Look at the gathers and pleats, they don't exist on Nausicaa's outerwear. Right will take some modding to make it work,, like reducing the bottom hem circumference, adding to the shoulders, and possibly widening the waist. You'll likely be better off looking for a jacket pattern and taking in the waist a bit. You'll also need to think about how you'll get in and out of it since the original art looks close-fitting.
>>
Still debating on her (won’t be worn until next year) but if I decide to make vs. buy Mona’s outfit, how would I do the patterns on the tights?
>>
File: jane_watch.png (99 KB, 274x259)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
Sorry for potato photo - it's from a potato film, and this is the best shot I could get of all of it.

Any idea of how to search for this watch? I've been looking at 90s scuba/dive watches, and they get kinda close-ish, but the weird wing is non-existent on any of my finds. I know it's a dumb detail, but I like dumb details.
>>
>>10633964
If you were to make the tights, I would recommend custom printing the fabric and sewing your own tights. Sew in a few tiny neodymium magnets on the right side and make the 3D parts out of flexible foam/pleather so that you can easily secure them and take them off.
>>
>>10634243
Custom printing never passed my mind, I’ll definitely look into that. And thank you for the advice about getting the pieces attached, really appreciate it!
>>
>>10633964
I'd get a bit of the same fabric, or as second pair of tights, and cut out the shapes you want, then sew them onto that spot.
>>
File: Screenshot (1069).png (423 KB, 558x562)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
I'm very farsighted and need red contacts for my cosplay and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that actually sells them. I've scoured the hyperopia section of every site I could find and thus far pic related was the best I came up with and probably what I'll have to settle for but I feel stupid because they're very obviously pink.
I got my hopes up when I discovered Desio's Cherry Coffee lenses, but they were out of stock and when I messaged them they told me they were discontinued.
>>
>>10630110
I hoop up my cut-away stabilized and put a patch of wash away on that, then dampen it with a spray bottle. It makes it sticky enough I haven’t had any problems so far and it washes out easier than temporary sprays imo
>>
>>10634011
As much as I hate leddit, the collective autism of the site often makes it a good place to go when looking for hyperspecific products. The 1.6 million people on the watch subreddit could probably help you out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.