[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: AA.jpg (285 KB, 1242x1221)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
Old thread >>>>>>10526517

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

With more and more people being vaccinated: do you think we're going to have major conventions like Anime Expo next year? If so, do you think any special precautions are going to take place?
>>
Does anyone have any pictures of great looking booths? With cons looking like they're starting up again, I want to start from scratch
>>
How does everyone's online sales this march compare to march 2020?
march 2021 is nearly 3 times the revenue as 2020 for me.
>>
>>10591842
I’m pretty sure just about everyone’s revenue has at least doubled since people are getting comfortable seeking out and buying from artists online.
>>
>>10591842
Mine is actually down by 60% but that's because I had a huge con cancel in March last year and everyone actually used their online marketplace feature. March 2021 was still decent but nothing can beat the giant wave of pity buys I received last year when the pandemic first started.
>>
>>10591842
yup, same here...however I also think I managed to build up an ok following/base during the pandemic as well. Looking at my stats, my revenue is up over 800% compared to this point last year...BUT I will say myself that my revenue before the pandemic was pretty pathetic so it's not too much to brag about. I am pretty happy with how my sales have grown, but of course wary because we all know how fast that can change especially when you rely on fanart/fandoms that could die off very quickly.
Anyway for me personally I think the growth is from a combo of 1) online shopping being even more prevalent due to, obviously, the pandemic, 2) planting my roots in some key fandoms and maybe 3) improving my art a little.
>>
>>10591850
>>10591867
I mean, thats long term trends. For me, it was march specifically that saw the big loss in 2020 due to the fear and shutdowns, and the huge upswing in march 2021 due to the stimulus checks. Every single other month in 2020 and 2021 were as expected. Though, this month i've already made the same amount this april as I did april 2020. So many march 2021 onward i'm seeing the sudden big upswing in sales. Its actually the higher priced items that are selling more recently. Last year I sold way more products, but it was primarily cheaper stuff, so revenue wasn't too high.
>>
is it worth it to start an etsy shop now? i've improved a lot over the pandemic and feel confident enough to do it. i've always wanted to do cons but that's not an option right now and even if they were open i don't feel safe + feel like that'd piss a bunch of people off and i'd lose fans anyway.
>>
>>10591972
Etsy is a convenient, entry-level shop with a searchable marketplace. You can open and maintain one with very little effort, at the cost of having higher fees than the alternatives.
>>
>>10591972
Like the anon said above, Etsy sales are increasing dramatically. I've done better in not just my premade stuff but the expensive custom commissions I do
>>
>>10591977
>>10592075
awesome, thank you! i wasn't sure since the pandemic caused a lot of unemployment, but that's reassuring to hear.
>>
>>10591877
Oh, I hadn't realized you were talking about March specifically as a result of major events. Yes March 2021 was much better than March 2020 but interestingly enough neither March differed significantly from the months around it.

For 2021, March was my best month to date in terms of revenue, but not by much, and in fact in terms of orders, the number was the exact same in February (even more in January). I'm on track to doing a little better for April, but can't say for sure.
>>
>>10592080
I'd go for it. The key point though is not to go crazy with stock and don't bite off more than you can chew by throwing a wad of cash into something you don't know will sell. Start with small items -- stickers, pins, prints are good options, especially with prints having such a high profit margin.

I think the general consensus here is to get 5-8 of a single item if you're just starting, and no more (unless you already have established social media and a big base, in which yeah you can probably invest some more). If you sell, great! Restock, and now you have a small sample to size your next order. If nothing sells then now you know and you won't have sunk a bunch of money without reason. Gauge your audience for interest but also remember that not everyone who says "I'd buy!" will actually buy.
>>
>>10592209
Ok. Interesting to see its affecting some more than others. This is my weekly revenue over the past several weeks. You can see clearly from this the week stimulus checks were sent out. idk, I find it interesting how obvious it was for my business how much the stimulus helped.
>>
Does anyone have any cute, plastic free sticker packaging ideas? I'm thinking of making a sticker pack and using glassine bags but if I can make it more aesthetic any ideas would be really helpful!
>>
File: glassine.jpg (119 KB, 640x512)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>10592225
I saw someone else suggest glassine bags. Pic attached isn't mine, but an example I found of using it for more than just stickers.

I've seen where people stamp their glassine bags on the back. I love how it looks. Custom stamps are inexpensive so you may want to look into it.

You might even play around with wax seals if you're trying to be extra fancy, but that might be overkill for a sticker set.
>>
File: 16160872922b.jpg (77 KB, 550x595)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
I haven't been into /cgl/ in any capacity for several years, but I make art bears/dolls these days and was considering tabling at conventions (alongside prints and some clothing.)

But these bears take an ass-tonne of hard work to make and sell for $400+ for a 10" bear. Do you think the con demographic would even go for this? Is it even worth the almost 100% guarantee of theft? I feel like they have a decent appeal to lolita but the subculture seems almost dead now.
>Pic isn't my work but another artist with very similar bears.
>>
>>10598261
No. People want cheap stuff at cons, since its mostly impulse purchases. If you do it, it should be more to hope to get purchases after the con by spreading awareness of your brand.
>>
>>10598261
I would suggest making a cheaper option with a max price of $50.
It still might be worth it to spread the name of your brand and let people know that products like yours exists, but I don't think anyone would make an impulse purchase walking by your booth.
>>
>>10598261
Unless you're willing to severly underprice everything you sell, handmade items aren't worth taking to cons. I've seen people try to sell handmade polymer clay figures, but attendees pass them over in favor of buying official, mass produced figures, simply because the official figures are the same price as or cheaper than the handmade one. You'll do better at artisan craft fairs, where the price and quality are expected to be higher.
>>
>>10598261
If the time and money investment is worth it, you might have some inexpensive merch made for your bear brand, like bear themed stickers, pins and mass-produced plushies with your branded tags, and sell that while having the bears displayed prominently at your stand. (I’m thinking in something like a glass cake stand or specimen case so kids can’t get their grubby hands on them.) Like others said, though, I don’t think most people who go to cons are looking to spend much money, and your table money may be better spent elsewhere.
>>
I know translations are one thing, but when it comes to a fanbase, would making content for people of other nations be a negative? An example, you're Canadian but a large portion of support is coming from people located in Poland. Would throwing in small references like flags, fashion, popular food, folklore, or etc piss-off the fans that are native to your country, or possibly come off as fake/annoying to your foreign fans?

By small references, I mean primarily thrown in as Easter Eggs.
>>
>>10600013
IMO it's kinda weird, I dunno. I don't think it would piss people off, it just might come across as you having a fetish for another country that you're not from, if you start slipping it into a lot of your pieces. Making a couple thank you artworks for that country might be less weird? I've seen some artists who get surges from other countries make little "Thank you Polish fans!" type artworks and I don't think that's a bad idea. Making it part of your brand identity is kinda fake.
>>
>>10600051
That's pretty reasonable. I didn't want to test the waters due to the chance that it might rub people the wrong way. Thanks.
>>
>>10598261
I know I'd sure be interested, but this kind of thing would work better for girls who collect toys and dolls, like BJD types or ones who collect American Dolls. If you do it below $80, they would probably sell, though. $50 dollars is much better, like other anon mentioned.
>is it worth 100% guarantee of theft?
Theft as in table theft? Why do you think someone would steal these from your table like that?
>>
>>10600260
>Why do you think someone would steal these from your table like that?
Not that anon but have you ever tabled?? People lift stuff all the time. Before covid there were multiple cons where small teams of thieves were targeting artists, mostly for their money pouches, but they've taken table items, game systems, backpacks etc. Or some tween will decide they like it and will snatch it just because they don't have money, which happens a ton in the dealers hall. Some people literally go to a con with the mindset of theft.
>>
>>10598261
i doubt yours look like this at all.
>>
File: file.png (1.03 MB, 529x870)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
Thoughts on this situation? Who was in the wrong here?

https://www.tiktok.com/@iamlunasol/video/6950720057932664069?lang=en&is_copy_url=0&is_from_webapp=v1&sender_device=pc&sender_web_id=6926230957326648838
>>
>>10601781
Fanart artist complaining about someone stealing their art concepts is hilarious, especially when they don't see the irony.
>>
>>10601786
the copycat was seriously too lazy to think of the same thing but just choose different foods? or parody different brands/labels?
>>
>>10601790
Its a fanart artist, they are all lazy and unoriginal. They wouldn't be fan art artists otherwise.
>>
>>10601806
Here we go again.
>>
>>10601781
Okay so I watched the video.
Normally I roll my eyes at these types of "dramas" because the concepts are not that unique. It is pretty suspicious that multiple of them were copied though. So definitely "inspired" its crappy but not much you can do.

Maybe its just me but I think its usually better to keep your head down and move on in these types of situations. Since legally there is nothing to be done and it can make you look kind of salty to the online community.
>>
>>10601861
I agree. Anyway, I think plagiarism situations are best resolved in private unless it’s an ongoing issue and your proof is rock solid.
>>
>start posting art regularly this past week
>lose followers

Yeah ok Instagram
>>
>Pokemon on Danger list
Wow, and even then there's still a ton of pokemon listings. I guess they can't get you all
>>
>>10604876
could be wrong, but individual pokemon aren't really an issues, its the characters and logo that are more an issue.
>>
I bought some sheets of holo cold laminates but they are kinda foggy. Are they all like this or could it be I got a bad batch?
>>
>>10605459
Maybe that manufacturer considers that quality acceptable for their laminate? In my limited experience, the thicker cold laminates aren't as clear but easier to apply, while the thinner ones stick together easily.
>>
>>10606182
>In my limited experience, the thicker cold laminates aren't as clear
Thanks, anon! I didn't know this. The laminate its thicker than the starry one I usually buy so I guess this could be the reason.
>>
probably a far fetch but i'm gonna try anyway...but does anyone know of any recommended acrylic suppliers on alibaba that AREN'T vograce, juno, or queenkn? i've been having print quality issues lately and just want to find someone reliable and who won't sell/use my designs without permission. not looking for western suppliers atm bc i need the assembly! thanks in advance if anyone bites!
>>
File: 1620065629533.jpg (69 KB, 458x458)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>have online shop
>list stickers as die-cut
>thought peeling them was annoying for customers, so I began to give them a square backing to peel off instead
>send a few off
>come across the term "kiss cut"
>realize that's what I accidentally sent people instead

are people gonna be mad
>>
>>10607336
The sticker part should still be cut even if you ordered kiss cut. The only difference is die cuts through the backing paper and kiss is more for sticker sheets. The stickers should still come off the paper in the right shape so I doubt customers would care.
>>
>>10607336
I wouldn't be mad as long as I can peel the sticker with the shape.
>>
>>10607057
I've heard good things about inkitlabs but they are expensive I think?
>>
Has anyone ever (in the US) paid import tax on a order from vograce? When I used to use zap creatives I would get taxes import fees all the time but recently I haven’t seen any fees from Vograce yet.
>>
>>10608237
As long as your package value is under $800 (iirc, this may have changed), you shouldn't have to pay any import taxes from packages from China. I've never had to pay import taxes on any packages from Vograce or any other China-based businesses, but the value of my packages are usually under $300.
>>
>>10607377
They are expensive. Amazing print quality, even better if you do vector work. You will require assembly. They're western, so they don't fit anon's criteria. :(

>>10607057
Who have you been having print quality issues with? All three?
>>
>>10608237
I have but only on group orders that were like over $2k.
>>
File: EDto6qNWsAEr-gF.jpg (78 KB, 564x704)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Do all acrylic charms have translucency without the white backing layer or is it only certain printing methods?
Image from Zap Creative's twitter
>>
so i just received a print with a single layer of foam board as backing...and it was perfect. do you guys ship with double board (if shipping flat?)
i ship with double board because i get anxious about protection (and will probably continue to do so) but wondering what the mishap rate is for prints that are sent with just one backing board...(i use cardboard instead of foam)
>>
>>10608963
I ship paper goods in double chipboard because doubling up makes it slightly harder to bend the envelope. If I’m shipping something more valuable like a lolita print or a kpop photocard, I also put it in a plastic sleeve that’s hard to bend before putting it between chipboard.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.