[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (154 KB, 1280x720)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Considering the current new reports about gyaru and revival of old magazines, it's about time for a new thread.

https://youtu.be/BEUvhxmPN0s
>>
>>10558846
Not a huge Nobita fan but this video was so sweet! Very ready for a gyaru revival. I'm hoping that cafe can stay open long enough to visit when I can finally make it to Japan
>>
File: ESFwdYBUwAAeKmk.jpg (697 KB, 1280x960)
697 KB
697 KB JPG
>>10558855
The timing for a comeback fits anyways, after all it was born as fight against japan's beauty standards which are all about ~natural beauty~ again.

Some article about heisei vs reiwa gal or rather why the younger generation doesn't go to shibuya anymore:
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2169575/full/
>>
>>10558846
This is a really cute video, thanks for sharing! Gyaru are so inspiring, it's definitely a mindset I think a lot of people should invest more in.
>>
egg magazine's youtube channel has been uploading para para videos.
>>
>>10558846
Aw that video was great. Those girls' reasons for being gyaru in Japan seem pretty similar to my reasons for wearing lolita in the West.
>>
>>10559125
i wear hime gyaru for the same reason. i have been for 10 years now. i'm glad that even though gyaru isn't on trend people are still wearing what they love and being happy!
>>
>>10558846
This video sparks so much joy!
I'm not a gyaru and never was, my makeup skills are so bad I never could pull it off but I do admire gyaru. Hime gyaru was my favourite (I'm a lolita obviously) and I enjoyed the times were we had so many different styles in jfashion and I do miss it. I miss this galore of variation and I really do hope gyaru gets popular again.
>>
>>10558846
Another person here to wish you all luck. Gyaru isn't my style but I love how other girls look in it, I'd be so happy to see it come back *o*
>>
File: 435345.png (1.28 MB, 700x1050)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
A lot of old models seem to return to the typical tan looks.
>>
this makes me very happy to see! i had been sad seeing popular gal brands changing with the times, glad to see people still want gal to be around.
>>
Not surprised gyaru is coming back, considering y2k is everywhere in the west.
With j-fashion only releasing Jirai-kei stuff, it gets boring quick.
>>
File: D-TcZyRUcAAQLsZ.jpg (190 KB, 682x1200)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>10562576
You haven't paid much attention then if you really believe that, there's more brands that Ma*rs, Liz Lisa, and Ank Rouge. I mean, Alba Rose revived with its iconic hibiscus prints being re-released.
>>
>>10560288
Girl on the left in particular looks extremely cute — it’s nice to see the tan gyaru look with natural hair and not so exaggerated eye makeup.
>>
File: unu1.jpg (244 KB, 1620x1620)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
unu used to be a popular lolita back in the day, she was part of the AP clone squad. lately shes been wearing manba style!
>>
>>10562684
that's so cute! i love her nails.
>>
File: 0812065_p.jpg (40 KB, 375x500)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>10562690
shes @unnnu on twitter if people want to follow. this is what she looked like in her lolita days. according to her bio shes 37 now i think? its nice seeing an older woman involved in flashy jfashion
>>
>>10562684
i love manba but i am too pale and don't want to tan. i am probably going to wear kigu to cons more often now.
>>
>>10562616
i just copped some alba rosa the other day. it was really sad to see ma*rs take such a drastic fucking turn though.
>>
>>10562693
That headdress and wig combo is life ughh. But also manba with kiggus and super crazy detailed nails sounds fun and like >>10562702
said it would make it easy to not have to tan (you could just do the face makeup), plus bonus it's cozy
>>
Oh Gyaru...How I missed thee, only thing I hated about the west community, outside of drama was the whole people with big eyes were dogged for not doing eye makeup as extreme as >>10562684. Like my cheeks are huge when I smile so It'd be a mess before I'd make it to any meet or gathering.
>>
>>10562909
i really hated that too desu. a lot of the styles don't use huge makeup. old gal doesn't even use lower lashes. i do find myself sometimes using bigger and bigger lashes though since instathot makeup uses big lashes as well.
>>
>>10558846
I have nothing against gyaru but I found the women in the video to be too NLOG-y for my taste. I get Japan is more conservative than the West but barring the manba girl the others weren't even dolled up in such a way they would stand out that much on the street.
>>
>>10562920
did we watch the same video? fuck off with this shit.
>>
>>10562923
stay mad sis you ain't special
>>
>>10562920
>weren't even dolled up in such a way they would stand out that much on the street.
Seems like you haven't been in Japan then.
>>
>>10562920
The most conservative parts of Japan will expell you from school for not having pitch black hair. In the US or maybe compared to some idols they look normal but the average Japanese person doesn't look like that.
>>
>>10562616
I would sacrifice a member of my immediate family for an Alba Rosa hibiscus coat. Pink/white or pink/brown preferred
>>
>>10562937
>>10562967
I have, a lot of girls dye their hair brown or blonde and wear makeup these days.
>>
>>10562999
Not outside of the few big cities, most places don't even hire you with dyed hair.
>>
>>10562926
>>10562999
die mad basic bitch.
>>
>>10562991
Unfortunately people have started scalping them on depop for the normie y2k boom :( good luck anon, they appear on mercari every so often. under $300 is a good deal imo, so worth it
>>
>>10563014
take your own advice kek you're not special for copying outdated japanese trends
>>
>>10558846
not sure if this should be in the stupid questions thread, but is gyaru so negatively perceived in Japan? I understand Japanese people dislike the excessive tanning and OTT makeup of gyaru from the 2000s because it goes so against Japanese beauty ideals, but the gyaru shown in that vid looks pretty normie in comparison. Is it because gyarus are associated with having some semblance of sex drive, so Japanese men hate them for not trying to look like 'soft uwu petite pure maidens ' or something?
>>
>>10563020
Yeah pretty much. I feel like it used to be more of a big deal but the people who are crying oppression now need to get over themselves especially when they go out looking as normie as that.
>>
>>10563020
>but is gyaru so negatively perceived in Japan
That's the whole point of gyaru, but it's not as bad as it used to be because of how long it's been around by now.
>>
>>10563020
>hate them for not trying to look like 'soft uwu petite pure maidens ' or something?
yes. japanese men hate any girl who is a human unless they are horny.
>>
>>10563025
>people who are crying oppression now
we get it, you hate gyaru, calm down.
>>
>>10563045
we get it you're a triggered gyaru, calm down.
>>
>>10563020
Gyaru were actually super slutty back in the day, to the point where magazines aimed at high schoolers featured sex tips and sex stories. It was part of the culture, at least then.

>>10563044
Lol keep repeating talking points from western SJWs who know jack shit other than "Azn man bad and oppressive". Japan has changed and I have a good number of friends who are men and decent people.
>>
>>10563121
>magazines aimed at high schoolers featured sex tips and sex stories
egg still does
>>
>>10563044
That's men in general lmao.
>>
>>10563121
>Lol keep repeating talking points from western SJWs who know jack shit other than "Azn man bad and oppressive". Japan has changed and I have a good number of friends who are men and decent people.
that was sarcasm, anon
>>
can we ignore bait please?
>>
>>10563148
>any comment that i don't agree with is bait
>>
>>10558846
Whhah
>>
>>10563121
>to the point where magazines aimed at high schoolers featured sex tips and sex stories

This is not a gyaru exclusive phenomenon, American magazines cosmogirl and YM would also have sex tips and stories. teenagers have sex eveb in glorious nippon
>>
>>10563174
Yes, but it's not talked as openly as in gyaru culture. Gyaru is partially based on western ideals and given its own flair. Nobody is talking about Americans because the culture is so different.
>>
>>10563179
i assure you that gyaru arent the only japanese women who Fuck.

they just have a bad reputation the same way any sexy and feminine woman has a bad reputation- misogyny.
>>
>>10563020
There is also a real association between gyaru and yankii, and certain stereotyped versions of both are similar (loud, rude, garish delinquents rejecting societal norms). I thought this was more of a hick town thing desu but this post actually has some good background on how it came to be in Tokyo: https://neojaponisme.com/2012/06/06/the-history-of-the-gyaru-part-three/
>>
repost from the stupid question thread since I didn't saw there was an actual gyaru thread :

Does anybody know the name of those type of asymetrical draped dress/ skirt in gyaru ? I'm sure I saw pictures of skirts in this styles in coords some years ago but I have no idea if it have a specific name. If someone have other pics with similar dress/skirt I would really love it !
>>
>>10563722
i'm not sure they have a specific name, i know they used to be popular at kyaba and knew stores like dazzystore and girlstalk used to sell them for cheap. you can probably find them on aliexpress if you search prom dresses.
>>
>>10563016
Man why are gen Z like this

I've been looking on-and-off for years and they all seem to appear when I'm not actively checking the market, or when I do find one it's a seller asking 30,000jpy for for a battered piece of garbage they've been using as a horse blanket for the past two decades. Gyarus have always been kind of gross so I suppose it's to be expected.

My search for the white whale continues
>>
>>10562991
>>10563016
>>10563821
idk why people act like the coats are so hard to find, they sell them at Spinns since last year's collab as part of the EGG revival.
>>
>>10563825
Having said that, the price is 74000yen.
>>
File: gyarus.jpg (27 KB, 554x554)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
just gals being gals
>>
Speaking of gangs, KRYclothing is dropping a collection along those lines.
>>
>>10563174
It was uncommon for Japanese youth to participate openly in sex unless they were delinquents. They don't have the same type of culture are here in the U.S.

Having sex there means you must be the otaku type, the bimbo type (gal), or a delinquent. At least, when gal got its roots it was the case. At the time, the magazine publishing sex tips for girls was considered unheard of. It's something that while commonplace in American culture, was uncommon for Japan's culture.

>>10563183
They were the women who fucked openly. Prior, if you weren't a delinquent, you weren't talking about it or reading magazines about it in public to 'save face.

>>10563020
So, to answer your question. Yes. Gyaru stayed late at clubs, hung out in groups in town, and sat around laughing at sex tips in magazines while squatting on the streets in short skirts smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol. To the U.S., none of this sounds bizarre. In Japan during the 90's and early 2000's, this was unheard of.

They were also the first to really dress 'sexy' in a way that could appeal to the mainstream crowd. Goths and punks have always been dressing skimpy, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea. Gals were the first girls dressing in a sexy way that appealed to a large majority of the mainstream in their day-to-day attire.
>>
>>10564012
And fuck fixing typos, sorry. Oh, that's the other things gals did. On top of fancy cute writing styles, they were also known to be the first outside delinquent youth using vulgar language.
>>
>>10564012
Also, to clarify, when I say 'delinquents', I mean those actually going out and committing both petty and serious crimes. Gals were not delinquents as they weren't doing anything that broke the law per say, no (outside maybe smoking and drinking underage). They weren't painting graffiti, picking fights, stealing, and endangering public safety. They were just having a good time & enjoying the more tangible parts of life.
>>
>>10563832
where? I don't see them
>>
File: salsaposhmark.jpg (55 KB, 580x580)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>10563722
It's called a 'salsa' dress or 'salsa' skirt in English. Jesus, why do I know that. Unfortunately, googling it will mostly bring up dancewear instead of formal outfits. It is called a 'salsa' dress though.
>>
>>10564022
https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m57492891137/
cheapest active listing i could find. others are $500-$700+
>>
>>10564022
>Person posts about the Alba Rosa being sold at Spinns stores
>this
???
>>
>>10564027
>>10563722
you can find these on aliexpress if you search "slit tulle dress ruffle" or "slit party dress"
>>
I heard Gyarus are the biggest lesbos out there is that true?
>>
>>10564715
have you seen gyaru nails???
>>
File: kogal.jpg (130 KB, 480x595)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Surprised that nobody has brought up kogal yet.
>>
>>10564756
No.
>>
>>10564715
I watched Sakurinas Girls Life today, n she accused the Miki girl of only being her friend cuz she wants to sleep with her. I still don’t get it
>>
>2014
>be me
>researching fashion trends unique to the late 90s/early 00s
>catch word of "ganguro"
>look it up
>completely enamored by how garish, flashy, feminine it is
>learn about kogyaru/banba/manba/yamanba/kurogyaru
>buy tacky "otaku" books that talk about the styles, study them
>watch youtube videos about it
>start looking for clothes that fit the style
>eventually rake out enough money, get a sizable "knockoff ganguro" wardrobe
>bleach my hair, start tanning outside
>start letting my nails grow out, paint them myself, add glitter and fake gems
>learn how to do the makeup
>be into this for about 2 years
>despite that, only wear the style publicly a few times

I wasn't around for the heyday of the styles, but recently I've been nostalgic for 2014-2016, when I was really into them. I started falling out of it when I had to move frequently due to an unsteady home situation (many of my belongings I either had to get rid of or were lost in the process of moving.) For a while I didn't have the money to buy much beside necessities, but now that I'm married, have moved to another country and am stable, I've been entertaining the idea of getting into it again... The only real thing holding me back (aside from not wanting to spend too much money) is that I used to live in the southern US and now live in the UK. Even back then, I wasn't brave enough to wear it publicly on any more than a few occasions (and with lighter makeup). I feel like it'd seem even more out of place in the UK than the US. Along with that, I'm not as keen on bleaching/using a lot of product on my hair now, or tanning.

Just reminiscing. I hope the styles really do make a comeback, particularly the more garish manba/yamanba ones, they were my favorite.
>>
>>10564911
If you feel more comfortable with the idea of dressing up with other people, then there's definitely a UK community! I don't know how many/if any of them do ganguro though
>>
>>10563751
>>10564027
>>10564699
Thank you so much ! the dresses are obviously inspired by salsa dress, idk how I could not notice... Thank you for the ali keywords too, that really kind.
>>
>>10564872
In the end she sleep with her best friend?
>>
some gyaru shortstory manga is trending on twitter
https://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/2103/01/news039.html
>>
>>10564948
The UK gyaru comm is super dead though isn’t it?
>>
>>10564911
Where abouts in the UK anon? I'm in Manchester and have definitely seen ganguro around. If you're in a "alternative" city like Manc, Sheffield, Oxford etc you'll be fine.
>>
>>10568879
I would rather blame that on corona, outside of that it was decently alive.
>>
>>10564948
Thanks. If I was going out I don't think I'd go for a drastic style like ganguro, probably keep it safe and stay with a simpler one. I'll have to get over my minor fear of dressing up in front of strangers as well.

>>10568897
Haha, I'm in Northern Ireland. I find it hard to imagine a gyaru community here, much less a community for the more drastic styles, but that being said I did see a girl in full lolita coord on my way to the post office once.
>>
File: kogyaru-fashion.jpg (84 KB, 467x350)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>10564798
kogal is elite
>>
>>10569040
Ah, you might be out of luck then on the gyaru front! But yes, there's a couple of lolitas in NI that are nice if you want to know some general J-fashion people.
>>
I WANT TO FUCK GYARU SLUTS HARD AGAINST A WALL
>>
>>10569941
ok
>>
Some jp gyaru evolution timeline study:
https://note.com/shadow0918/n/n946710a5cc1b
>>
>>10562684
This just looks bad...
>>
>>10572230
that's the point
>>
>>10558846
who is the girl on the left?
>>
>>10572223
this was an interesting read. i like how the author cites gyaru as helping japan become more liberal. nothing against lolita, but of course gyaru had more of an affect on that, since it's much more easily accessible.
>>
Anyone know of a gyaru discord server?
>>
>>10573555
https://discord.gg/8cpSAkeh
>>
>>10574323
Thank you!
>>
>>10562926
>>10563014
>>10563019
>>10563062
Now it's a proper western gal thread
>>
Has anyone read 2020-2021 Happie Nuts? I haven't been able to find scans myself but I'm super curious what the revival looks like
>>
>>10569163
Is there a specific EGL / j-fash NI comm?
>t. perennial lonelita that just moved from GB to NI
>>
>>10580399
fuck off prude cunt.
>>
>>10580436
Fat ita
>>
>>10574323
Was this the 109 gal server? If so don't bother, it's full of cringey larping teenagers. Pic very related.

I don't even know if the admin is gal desu, but she's certainly not active and the server has been overrun by kids and attention whores
>>
>>10583066
anon they're just mentally ill
>>
>>10583077
genuinely mentally ill people don't claim to be a 'multiple system' with 'fictives', that's pure Tumblr larp. Multiple of them in the server too.
>>
Anyway, does anyone have better resources for getting 2000s gen Liz Lisa pieces that isn't random sales groups? I feel like LL either wasn't as popular or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places since I only see lots of DIA/Ghost of Harlem/more rokku style
>>
>>10583066
The fact that someone paid for a bot to do this shit.
>>
>>10583066
How are there this many mentally ill people out there pretending?
>>
>>10583100
they're mentally ill in some way, not the way they want to be tho.
>>
I guess the 109 Gal server is going through a lot of changes right now. They kicked off the bot that allowed for the cringe worthy rp lmao.
>>
>>10585268
I think maybe a mod read the thread? If so THANK YOU BASED MODS. Adding that vent channel was a great move I'm sick of reading people's life story in general
>>
>>10585270
Not a mod, but I told someone highly involved in the server about the complains on here, and somehow she managed to get things moving.
>>
>>10585270
>>10585268
anyone still have the link for the discord? i will join if it's not cringy anymore.
>>
>>10585430
https://discord.com/invite/fRXRN7M
>>
>>10569941
Kill yourself.
>>
>2021
>/cgl/ is slow af
>the gyaru amino is dead
>so many brands stopped selling gyaru or straight up closed down
>mentally unhinged zoomers on tik tok attack anyone who isn't black for doing gyaru

I legit spent hours watching old meetup videos on YouTube, daydreaming about what it would be like to go out with gyaru friends of my own. Only looking at old inspo photos and certain gal's blogs and Instagrams bring me joy. I need help.
>>
>>10592586
where does the looking-down photo pose come from? is it to show off make-up, give attitude, copy a celebrity, or it's just cute?
>>
>>10592586
well the discord is good now, so that's something! it will be better when meets are back anon
>>
>>10592636
nayrt but I think I read years ago (so dont quote me on this) that gyaru would look down while posing so their hair hid their faces more for privacy's sake when pics are uploaded online.
>>
Since Discord mods read this thread sometimes, or their friends do...

Please keep an eye on that Mira girl. She's an /a/ tripfag with HPD who has been involved in all kinds of drama and selfposts on lolcow because she wants to be infamous online. She came into gyaru via the fetish, as far as I can tell still sees it like that, and is constantly pandering to coomers, it wouldn't at all surprise me if she shares pictures from the comm with her /a/ coomer friends.

She's not really done anything in the server (yet), but please at least be aware of this and quietly observe her to see if some fuckshit happens. I've enjoyed the discord becoming comfy and don't want that to change.
>>
File: rina sus.png (72 KB, 1366x690)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>10592659
Found the receipts I was thinking of. I am so fucking uncomfortable having someone who fetishizes the style like this around.
>>
>>10592659
Oh no is this the same histrionic tripfag mentioned way back in the gaijin gyaru lolcow thread? Lmao that's amazing if she's still on her same bullshit
>>
>>10592731
Yes, that person. She joined the discord recently.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.