[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 138 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Detergent/softener recs
>Methods for delicate fabric
>Cute drying racks
>Machine vs. manual
>How do YOU stop your prints from bleeding?
>>
>>10524476
just bought one of these, I heard a tip not to use hot water with these fyi
>>
>>10524491

Why not?
>>
Does anyone know where I can get some mint-scented fabric softener?
>>
I have a print dress that has already bled slightly and the print itself is too tiny/intricate to spot treat. Would it be possible to undo some of the bleeding by washing it in cold water with a bunch of color catchers?
>>
>>10524476
Color catchers are bretty gud.
>>
>>10524494
someone said it ruins the plastic/clothes
>>
>>10524501

I've read some quilters' accounts that say that using that method undid color-bleed damage, but I'd be careful.
>>
Any tips to keep fake fur or fuzzy fabric looking new? I washed my Kumakumya room wear set yesterday, followed a guide for fuzzy fabric and used gentle detergent (Woolite). The fur still clumped together and looks old, which is disappointing. Can I revive it?
>>
>>10524515

Have you tried giving it a very gentle brushing with a soft-bristled pet brush and hanging it to dry?
>>
>>10524524
Seconding pet brush,but I would do it after it's dry>>10524515
>>
>>10524501
I had sucess with that on an ETC Op that bleed quite bad in some areas.
First I spot treated it with some shampoo (I've read that inanother help thread) which did help a bit and after that I washed it on a cold delicate cycle with color catchers. That actually removed all the spots from the bleeding and it looks like new. So I'd say it's at least worth a try
>>
>>10524524
>>10524528
thanks! I’ll try this today
>>
>handwash everything
>cold water
>all garmets inside-out
>gentle detergent + Dr. Bronners
>wring out with centrifuge spin dryer
>drape on rack to dry

Ymmv because none of my pieces are printed
>>
File: Keyonofrill.jpg (95 KB, 750x1088)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>10524476
If I'm very unsure about something I will soak it in a basin (in my case that's a large plastic box) of cold water or room-temp with detergent AND THEN run it through the wash, no soap, on the handwash setting. Soaking in detergient either some hours or for a full overnight seems to really help for set-in overall discoloration (to return a yellow-cream to a pale white cream or ivory color) and will smell issues.
Also always avoid the dryer with your main pieces, UNLESS you know it's durable enough to handle it then I'd do it once. When I first got into Lolita and was wearing Bodyline, I always threw their 100% cotton pieces through the dryer once so that I would have it at it's "true size" and be done with it instead of going through the shock of someone else shrinking it under worse conditions (like a friend borrowing it and drying it on full blast for the first time ever, cause more shrinkage/damage).

Lastly I just want to make a general complaint that out of curiosity I bought some actual antique Victorian (or early Edwardian) bloomers and petticoats and I'm really horrified at modern cottons by comparison; I'm able to run these plain, hand-eyelet lace garments through regular modern laundry machines with zero hassle. The weave is dense but it's so light weight. What the heck happened between now and then?
>>
Is oxyclean safe for screenprinted dresses? I have a white dress that I just pulled out of storage that needs brightening up.
>>
>>10524476
>How do YOU stop your prints from bleeding?
I take anything with red in it or high contrast prints like CD to a dry cleaner I trust and she always does a really good job. She’s even fixed old color bleeding from a previous owner to a point where it’s not noticeable. It’s important to point out to them that the color will for sure bleed so they don’t try anything. Expensive, but I think it’s worth it to preserve prints like French Cafe and Fantastic Dolly.

Everything else I put in a garment bag in the washing machine on gentle cycle and hang to dry. No problems so far.
>>
please help i spilled some hot chocolate on my angel pony coat. i usually take my coats to the dry cleaners so i'm not used to cleaning them myself but i dont want to spend 16 bucks for a few spots. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>10524596
You're too cheap to spend $16?
>>
>>10524515
Ignore the brush suggestions or be gentle if you do brush.
Listen to me furry advice
Use a hairdryer to fluff and gently brush to detangle
>>
>>10524603

>ignore the brush suggestions
>gently brush

Which one, anon-kun?
>>
>>10524599
yes
>>
>>10524607
DA but I assume they mean use a comb instead of a brush? Brushes are made to remove loose excess hair, combs are for detangling. It's why you use a comb and never a brush for wigs, for example- so imo a comb-through should be fine, if you're gentle.
>>
>>10524496
might work better to get mint essential oils and some of those wool dryer balls and add 2-3 drops of the oil to each ball before drying your laundry?
>>
>>10524596
My advice would be:
> spend 16 bucks for a few spots
>>
>>10524562
It’s really sad what’s happened to clothing in the last 10 years. In regards to fabric quality we’re wearing literal rags compared to what people were wearing even 70 years ago. It’s all about money and a disposable lifestyle. Let’s wear tissue weight fabric in the winter and non-breathing polyester in the summer and spend a fortune on energy costs and destroy our planet with emissions by keeping our home at 70° year-round instead of just making and wearing garments that will keep us warm or cool as appropriate and building our homes in a way that makes sense for our local climates.
Modern life :/
>>
>>10524603
the roomwear set is fleece/sherpa and not faux fur. pic related is what the normal brush does
>>
Any suggestions on how to clean glitter prints? How easily does the glitter come off of the fabric, I have one coming in the mail and I was told that there's a stain I need to get rid of on it
>>
>>10524562
Those fabrics are expensive, and most people are cheap and clueless to the actual cost of things. Just look at >>10524596 who won't wash her coat for $16.
The same thing happened to wood
>>
>>10524669
i'm going to take my coat to the dry cleaners if there's no other solution but i feel like i'll look ridiculous taking a coat to them when it's in mint condition aside from the three little spots. $16 is a lot of money for me atm, i don't understand why i'm getting poorshamed left and right for asking if there's a way for me to save money.
>>
I'm preparing for a long battle of restoration for a heavily yellowed lace/stained/dingy white fur BTSSB Melody coat I got for $20.

Any tips?
>>
>>10524686

>mix 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water in spray bottle

>SPOT TEST

>saturate stains
>blot dry
>>
>>10524708
thank you! <3
>>
>>10524700
Pick the lace off of the coat and launder it separately. That way you can bleach the living shit out of it (if you need to) without worrying that it might discolour the rest of the coat.
>>
>>10524596
Tbh a tide stick or that grannies stain remover would probably do it.
>>
>>10524515
I use a pet brush and a silicone based hair heat treatment spray. Looks brand new!
>>
I cold hand wash most things, especially if they are a new piece, have shirring, or are known to bleed. There are some pieces in my wardrobe I'm comfortable putting on cold delicate cycle, mainly blouses and sturdier dresses. I also try to dry everything flat where possible.

What I use (AUS/NZ):
> Ecostore laundry powder
> Sheer Magic stain remover
> Vanish Oxi Action
> Philips Steam&Go handheld steamer (for smoothing out wrinkles and creases once garment is dry)

I don't recommend using a softener. It changes the texture of the fabric and sometimes results in prints not being as crisp on cotton pieces.
>>
>>10524496
Please don't use fabric softener on your clothes.
>>
>>10524615

I thought about that, but I never tumble-dry any of my lolita pieces. Thanks anyways.

>>10524850

Will not. Thanks for the warning.
>>
If the garment seems durable and is made with thick fabrics, I usually wash it on delicate with woolite. I've never had an issue with it. If it's delicate, or it requires close monitoring, I cold rinse it and soak also in Woolite.

Once you peer into the abyss of trying to watch Edwardian spider lace, you're kind of fearless about washing anything.
>>
>>10524850
Why not?
>>
>>10524904
it makes the garment softs by sanding the fibres "fluffy", which damages the clothes in the long run
>>
>>10524686
That's literally how dry cleaning works. You don't shit all over your stuff and send it to dry cleaning. You get 1 spot stain on something that's not garbage fast fashion, and then take it to dry cleaning.

If $16 is expensive for you, then a lolita coat is too. You should sell it
>>
>>10524939
Lolita coats are cheap af secondhand and they said it was pricey for them at the moment. They could have bought it a while ago and be worse off financially now. It's not much money but better to save money doing something yourself if possible rather than having to go out during a pandemic.
>>
>>10524941
Being able to afford something includes it's maintenance
>>
>>10524942
That doesn't negate that she could have afforded it before and lost her job recently or something.
>>
>>10524943
Then sell it and have money for something that is more important than a lolita coat
>>
>>10524945
They could just not be someone who sells their stained clothes that won't go for much anyway when they're broke. They could be on unemployment or living off savings and not need to sell their wardrobe for rent but also not able to justify cleaning a few drops off a coat for $15 if it's possible to do it with stuff already at home.
>>
>>10524942

You're acting like a lolita coat is a living thing that requires responsibility, like a pet.

She paid for it already. She can shit on it if she wants. Unbunch those bloomers.
>>
>>10524958
And I can mock her for thinking $16 is too expensive for dry cleaning a coat. Also where is this? Because I've never gotten such a cheap quote for a coat
>>
>>10524963

Assuming she got the coat before she was broke, Japanese secondhand coats often go for cheap.
>>
>>10524963

You're bored as fuck. Go do something useful.
>>
>>10524700
I butchered this exact coat. Don’t be me. THE PINK BLEEDS. Bad.
>>
>>10525040
what did you do?
>>
>>10524904
It's like coating your clothes in liquid plastic. Ruins your clothes and also gets absorbed into your skin while you wear them. Probably causes cancer.

>>10524904
I had an old pink BTSSB print arrive to me with all the yellow in the border print bleeding and running in those areas. Is there any way to lift this specifically, or do I have to watch the entire dress a lot of color catchers and pray?

Also if anyone had this happen before, would love to know what detergent you used.
>>
>>10524939
listen, if you're dumb enough to get your stuff dry cleaned when there might be a cheaper and more convenient option, that's your problem. no matter my financial situation, 16 bucks will always be a lot compared to just using rubbing alcohol. there's also a literal pandemic right now so if you're taking your stuff to the dry cleaners everytime you get a minuscule stain on it you're a dumbass. now stop obsessing about it and go vent in the feels thread or something instead of takin your frustration out on me.
>>
>>10525040
Same coat anon, what DID you do so I don't brutalize it worse than it already is?
>>
>>10525045
>>10525097
I soaked it in oxiclean
>>
>>10525079
you're fucking stupid if you don't know what fabric softener is. stop giving advice.
>>
Cultural question... Before I got into Lolita, I use to wear Kimono. Many different types of Kimono are basically "unwashible" but are used regularly. I was always told this was fine because besides airing out kimono semi-regularly, the cotton undergarment you always wear will shield the kimono from your body oils.

Now, abstracting out from this; do you think a lot of Lolita items have loose dyes because it is culturally acceptable in Japan for things to not be color locked? I mean, in the same way westerners have their own assumptions about simple daily things, could non-washable items just be really normal over there?

I ask because before I got into Kimono, and then Lolita fashion, I never thought about the behavior and types of dyes in use.
>>
>>10525164
most modern kimono are washable.
>>
>>10525106
So next time, spot test first, and other coat-chans should Google "the laundress wool coat" and "soak brand detergent"

>>10525164
Maybe for more formal shit made with nicer material and worn less often. I dont know about the history of color fastness, but daily wear kimono was made in more durable material and it was expected to take it apart, wash each panel, and sew it back together at some point.
>>
>>10524512
Forgive my stupidity but what could go wrong? More color bleeding, or can the color catchers damage a print? I’ve never really used them before.

>>10524541
That’s good to hear. Does it have to be a certain kind of shampoo (e.g. SLS-free)? The print is so intricate that spot treating would be a huge pain in the butt but it’s my dream dress so if there’s a good chance it will help, I’m willing to try.
>>
>>10525284
honestly I dont' remember the exact instructions for the shampoo treatment. When the bleeding happend I panicked and grabbed what I had on hand. It was some generic silicone free shampoo.
>>
>>10525217
kimono anon sounds like a sperg. imagine writing something like that and immediately getting told she's wrong. there's even a japanese term for disassembling and washing kimono, and you definitely did it for fancier things like hikizuru or even uchikake, which tended to get pretty dirty.
>>
>>10525166
Hahaha...ahaha...haha
Okay larper
>>
>>10525164
"Skin layers" used to protect a more ornate, unwashable outer layer is a very old and prolific concept. All those fancy European noble women's dresses you see in paintings couldn't be washed and they would wear a shift underneath it. The same is true today of materials like velvet (I always wear something between a velvet OP and my skin). About color fastness, cotton and other organic materials bleed, it's just what they do,
>>
>>10525284

More bleeding for sure, but the color catchers are supposed to stop the dye from settling anywhere but the color catchers themselves.

I've never heard of them damaging fabric outright. They're basically just sheets like dryer sheets that you place into the water.
>>
>>10525630
It's prolific, but I was referencing Japanese customs because we are buying fashion designed by Japanese brands (which might then manufacture within the country or in China). What's considered "normal" all around the world is far more regional then most people realize, even among the "first world" nations who think they are similar, but continue to have many unique elements not shared across the board.

Secondly, yes, cotton CAN bleed but I have never owned any red cotton item that does bleed. The first and only time I've owned a red thing that bleeds was an AP dress. I took it to my local Korean-family run dry cleaner and they literally said; "oh, the care tag is in Japanese, so it will bleed". That hit me as a sign that there's some kind of difference because, like I said, I buy cotton dresses from the 1950s and they dont bleed. I buy cotton red fabric from mood fabrics and it doesn't bleed... So if we started color-locking fabrics 40, 50, 60 years ago... Why does this one genre of clothing seem to have so much bleeding?
>>
>>10526396
>So if we started color-locking fabrics 40, 50, 60 years ago... Why does this one genre of clothing seem to have so much bleeding?
Nta but I wonder this too. It can't be that hard to use colorfast dye.
>>
>>10526407
to be 100% honest, if the brands said it was because of some kind of high-end dying technique that can't be locked in, I would understand. But it's the mystery that frustrates me; I just want to know why and if I could get the "why" then I'd be at peace with it.
>>
Does anyone have tips on starching clothes? I have some sailor collars and lots of ruffles that would benefit from some stiffness. I've never starched clothes before and it seems like there are two options, spray starching or starching using a laundry machine. Spray starching seems like a safer bet for delicate clothes, but some of my OPs and jsks would benefit from stiffness all over. I don't know how starch would effect different types of lace either.

Most of what I own is cotton, and non-print so I figured I could treat them like a cotton dress shirt.

I heard starching can protect fabrics from stains, but I also heard it can break fabrics down and cause them to yellow.
>>
>>10526577
Spray-starch comes in different strengths, which is important to know for different situations. My best advice is to just start practicing with starching and ironing non-lolita items, such as a men's button-down work shirt. It will over time wash-out with the laundry, so it's really going to be part of your routine from now on, not a one-time fix.

One thing to keep in mind is that starch has it's own smell and it's very "present". It is not a bad smell, but just think of how when you can smell a really strong soap and your brain knows right away "wow that's some strong cleaning agent". Starch can have that effect, so try not to do it the same day you're going to wear something out; let it air out for a day or so near an open window or something.
>>
>>10526577
Forgot to add; a lot of people do say starch breaks down clothing, but I would personally say it's due to the combination of a delicate / not well-woven fabric then being exposed to too much of it. Yellowing can happen too but that is usually caused by starching and then not washing something for a long, long time. Many natural starches include, well... Starch. It's in your bread. So yeah it can rot over time if it's just left to live, uninterrupted, on your clothing forever.
>>
Have you guys read 19th century housework guides to get ideas? They used even more delicate expensive fabrics before colorsafe was a thing. I have a bunch in my library but off the top of my head;

>mixture of gin and gentle liquid soap applied with a soft brush is good for cleaning ribbons and making them shine, especially silk
>>
>>10524501
I had an old btssb print that bled like a mf, i soaked it in water with color catchers and it fixed the issue. ymmv though
>>
>>10526811
>>10526814
That's some good tips, thanks! I'll practice on my regular wardrobe first before do anything with lolita.
>>
>>10524494
Have a less cute version of these, using hot/boiling water causes a pressure build up in them as well as potentially ruining the plastic or the lid seal too.
>>
Need advice getting stains out of a print that bleeds. Specifically angelic pretty triple tart. I once soaked that in the black colorway and although it was successful in getting the stains out it also made the whites darker in the print. This one is the red color way and I’m assuming it’ll bleed to. It has some yellow stains I need advice on how to get those out. Also how to fix a milky bear whose fur got kind of curly in the dryer. (Purchased the bear secondhand btw)
>>
>>10528066
Not so much how to get the stains out, but my grandmother told me years ago to wash red items in salty water to keep them from bleeding.
>>
>>10524748
Do you mean a bleach pen? Because that's what those are, just bleach.
>>
>>10530290
tide stick isn't bleach you fucking moron.
>>
>>10526396
The answer is in your story, from the Korean woman's mouth.
>>
I am never not surprised when I clean an item I bought second hand and the wash water is that grey brown color of dust and skin.
I swear, some of ya'll nappy asf.
>>
I washed my melty berry princess and a few green spots appeared around the gold seals on the back side of it (on the top). any way to get rid of it?
>>
>>10534170
>seals
Grommets?
It's probably copper staining, salt and vinegar seems to be the go-to for that.
>>
>>10534049
I only ever wash my socks/blouses. Don't think I've ever washed a jsk/op even though I'm a daily lolita.
>>
>>10534224
disgusting go clean your fucking clothes
>>
>>10534226
Nah, I don't think I will. My clothes don't smell considering I wash myself and wear deodorant.
>>
>>10534230
So this is the reason the wash water on my second hand finds is nearly black with body soil and dust huh?
>>
>>10534246
Maybe, but more likely you bought something from someone who lives in a big city full of pollution. If I lived in Shanghai or LA or NYC I'd probably wash my stuff a couple times a year.
>>
>>10534321
the pollution level for these three cities are wildly different
>>
>>10534230
Even if they don't smell right away, if you were truly a daily and not trolling, you'd still be going outside (pre or post rona) and touching things or sitting on things, etc. Still makes sense to just wash it after each wear if you went about a whole day without your brand on.

Your claim that you're clean is silly because that's like saying you can rewear underwear without washing because you're clean when you put it on. Some of your items come into direct contact with your skin and most with your sweat even if it isn't immediately smelly or noticeable to you personally and strangers not noseblind to your BO could notice the staleness. Like damn at least steam them to disinfect or something.
>>
>>10534325
Almost like dingy chan is making excuses.
>>
>>10534325
Never tell a baylita chan that The City smells so bad you can detect it on your clothes and shoes for days after, they get really mad for some reason.
>>
>>10534326
I steam my stuff and anytime I visit my friends I ask if I smell bc I'm always worried I smell like a bong. Apparently I'm a really nice smelling person.

I've had buyers thank me for making my items smell so nice. All I do is hang them outside. Maybe I don't smell because I'm vegan, who knows.
>>
>>10534346

Kudos to this hardcore troll job anon; a large number of vegans are the dirtiest nastiest people I have ever met; they think their shit doesn't stink because they eat "clean"
>>
>>10534346
Do you just steam your panties instead of washing them after a whole day anon?
>>
>>10534351
Most vegans are gross because they don't use regular soap/shampoo and think crystal/toms deodorant works (it doesn't). If they washed themselves daily like I do with actual soap and used real deodorant they'd smell fine.
>>
>>10534352
I wash my underwear, bloomers, blouses, and socks. I wear an undershirt under OPs. Don't see a point in washing clothing that doesn't even touch my body, especially when even people who buy my unwashed clothing thank me for it smelling so fresh.

Ymmv though. The only part of me that truly gets smelly after a day or so is my crotch/asscrack.
>>
>>10534351
They do however taste good though.
>>
>>10534513
That's also a lie. I've only had sex with 3 men in my life, but the one vegan one had the nastiest most bitter cum I've ever tasted in my life, the other two ate like trash and it was fine. Obviously not a large sample size but still.
>>
>>10534533
did you vegan man drink alcohol? Drunk cum is disgusting
>>
>>10534224
>>10534230
>>10534346
aaaaaand this is why you always wash clothes you get secondhand
>>
I sold a dress I pooped myself and didn't wash it before selling it. Got positive feedback so it's okay.
>>
File: 1356639084518.png (98 KB, 247x248)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
>>10525164
Is THAT why everytime I handwash something from mercari, there are literal mud lakes coming out of it to the point ivory items turn out to be white?
>>
>>10534533
I think yo man did you dirty with asparagus or something anon, because the vegan chick I ate tasted like pineapple and cumin.
>>
>>10534545
I would imagine it has more to do with how washing and drying your clothes in JP is a huge pain moreso than girls thinking of lolita the same way they think of kimono.
>>
>>10534926
male vegans tend to be the potato chip oreo kind.
>>
I have weird yellowish stains appearing on clothes that were in a closet for a long time. Like I remember I washed them after wearing and hanged in my closet, but now my white dress has these weird yellow spots that don;t come off. I would assume that these are sweat stains but they appear in a place where it barely touches my skin. Does anyone have any idea how to deal with this? I am terrified that my clothes are ruined now...
>>
>>10535410
That's mold, you can remove it with oxy or other methods on google.
>>
>>10535421
Ouch, thanks. I will try to google how to remove mold stains.
>>
>>10535421
I hope it won't damage poly chiffon.
>>
>>10534930
why is this such a meme, is it propagated by people who have never been to Japan? people in Japan have laundry machines and dry their clothes outside or in a dryer like everyone else in a first world country
>>
>>10535465
The wattage restrictions on Japanese outlets require the necessity of shit washers.
Dryers aren't rare, but it certainly seems so when nearly all one's second hand from Japan smells faintly mildewy.
>>
>>10535427
The oxy won't, the mould might.
>>
>>10535484
again this is just untrue
>>
>>10535484
I have yet to see a dryer in Japan but if you say so
>>
>>10535953
Don't most Japanese washing machines double as dryers?
>>
>>10535957
Not that I’ve seen wtf? That would have to be a huge machine to have the parts for both
>>
>>10535962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23yIozIh-E
Apparently they take forever to actually dry anything so a lot of people just hang their stuff to dry anyway, which is why they aren't popular in the rest of the world. It's solely a space saving invention.
>>
>>10535965
I used to have a washing/dryer in one machine and it was so bad at drying. It took 4 hours and even after so much time my clothes could still come out damp, so I almost always just hung my clothes to dry.
>>
File: washanddry.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>10535962
Anon? These are super common in the market and have the same size as common washers. I have one at home (not in Japan, though) and it's super practical during rainy seasons.
>>
>>10535484
>>10535953
have y'all been to Japan the past five years? All of my friend's apartments and all my airbnbs have had an all in one unit like >>10535968
>>
I bought a used AP cardi that didnt disclose it had armpit stains. I guess they didnt see them and assumed they werent there becuase they used armpit pads but in middle of the upper arm is a few circles of yellowing. Apparently sweat over the top edge of the pad? I cant imagine what it is otherwise.

however, the lable says do not wash, dry clean only. 50% cotton, 50% acrylic. My country is in full blown lock down and finding a dry cleaner who will service something that isnt a suit/wedding dress is unlikely. Should i risk cleaning or spot cleaning myself?
>>
How would I go about cleaning a headbow whose matching dress is dry clean only? Will I completely ruin it if I wash it with soap and water? My dry cleaner won't take it
>>
>>10538631
Hand wash with cold water and gentle detergent. Throw in some colour catchers if there's red/black bits that might bleed onto lighter colours. Brand care tags are paranoid.
>>
>>10538683
what dress is it? a lot of my dresses that are marked "dry clean only" have been perfectly fine being handwashed or run on a cold delicates cycle
>>
>>10538688
>>10538683

Same here. Almost all of my AP cotton dresses and especially the poly ones are perfectly fine with being machine washable on cold handwash. I once heard that the brand tags are paranoid because Japanese washing machines apparently wash clothes in a very rough manner but I've never got proof for this claim.
>>
>>10538686
If mild detergent isnt getting it out, would you recommend baking soda paste or a stain remover?
Its a light color. Im not in the US so im not sure we have something like oxyclean which seems to be the most suggested cleaning product for armpit stains.
>>
>>10538736
First, give spot treat it with detergent and let it soak in. Then wash it out and give it a soak in white vinegar/water. Rinse out and wash it all over with detergent, rinse again and let air dry. I did accidentally wash and dry a headbow before and it was fine though, it doesn't have a headband piece. Any lolita that is put into the washer is out into a pillow case tied off, to protect it from the agitator.
>>
>>10538736
i think oxyclean is basically hydrogen peroxide, maybe you know it as the chemical for removing blood stains, which can wash out the print if you use too much
>>
>>10524476
So how do these hand washers work with lolita? I've been washing my clothes in a bucket but I want to look cute
>>
>>10538686
Thank you! I will try that.
>>10538688
It's an AP poly dress from a couple years ago. I do remember washing it in cold water on delicate once a couple years ago but I've never washed a headbow. I know that sounds gross. I'm also worried if I dunk it in water it will rust? I actually don't know what AP bows are made with.
>>
>>10538835
i've heard of people taking the metal headband out of the fabric "casing" and washing the headbow fabric by itself, but i tend to just handwash them and blowdry it on cool to get any moisture out fast
>>
>>10524656
yeah
>>
>>10538736
Just look for a peroxide based stain removal product. If you're in the EU there's stuff like Vanish Oxi Action available instead.
>>
>>10524562
>What the heck happened between now and then?
Lost technology for one.
For textiles and other cultural niceties that cannot stand the test of time it's especially common
It doesn't even have to be that old, for instance Levi can no longer produce true 501s because they have no idea now how they made them then.
You'd think it'd be crazy to lose such important things.
>>
>>10534341
Shut the fuck up chii
>>
>>10525086
Stop being poor
>>
I did a few handwash rounds with medium detergent. It got most of the stain out but theres still a thin ring of dark yellow.

>>10539046
thank you, i found Vanish and my local store carried the color safe variety as well.

>>10538804
luckily its not printed. But i imagine using straight hydrogen peroxide wouldn't be recommended

I actually have some
>>
>>10539069
>You'd think it'd be crazy to lose such important things.

Square Enix lost the source code for FF8, so I'd believe it.

Speaking of dumb shit, I machine washed my Sugar Bouquet (in cold water with 3 color catchers) and it bleed like crazy, like all three catchers were deep pink. Some stains appeared on the lace and back bustle, any tips on getting them out?
>>
>>10539118
I am not that person, but I obviously struck a nerve.
>>
>>10540001
you can use a peroxide solution or, again, something like oxyclean and apply with something soft. The deeper the stain the more tries you'll have to do, my advice is to avoid leaving high concentrations on for long periods of time.
Try that and if it doesn't work you can try something like RIT color remover.
>>
>>10540130
You, I like you

Thanks anon!
>>
>>10540232
Let us know how it goes
>>
Guys, I am FREAKING OUT

I'm cleaning out my closet when I find this old AaTP bag I haven't used in years. Like, close to a decade. So I open it up to see if anything was inside it and there was a NEST OF SPIDERS.

I threw that hellspawn in a trash bag, but I don't know what to do.
>>
>>10540791
Spider gunk is just proteins, or do you mean there's tons of spiders in it still?
Take it outside, upend it then either wipe the bag out with a soft cloth or a damp sponge and air dry.
Just don't be a big baby anon, you can handle a few little ol' spiders.

Be sure to post pictures of it though, I want to see your spider bag.
>>
>>10540791
Might also want to check your clothes for moth holes anon... if there aren't any I really have to wonder what they were eating.
>>
>>10540791
First off, horrifying. Second, leave it OUTSIDE so the spiders can leave. Third, get your house SPRAYED for spiders if theyre chilling in your closet. We get ours sprayed once a month for $50 and it is worth the peace of mind. What is the purse made of?
>>
Spider bag update.

Rest of my clothes are fine, but I threw that bag out. Spent the whole night cleaning my closet and deep cleaned my room. Oof
>>
>>10525217
I use soak and it makes things with loose dye bleed like crazy.
>>
how should i go about cleaning this pony bag? the colors are getting dull
>>
>>10543958
tub with detergent + toothbrush
>>
>>10541074
Were they alive?
>>
Anyone here knows a solution against long human hairs in the wash? I tried all kinds of hair catchers but they only seem to work for short animal hair.
>>
>>10544026
Use a lint roller before hand ?
>>
>>10540791
Peak goth. Should've kept them as pets
>>
>>10544374
no one wants hundreds of fucking baby spiders in their house.
>>
>>10524700
Spot clean it! Use a toothbrush and brush your cleaning solution onto the lace/fur - getting yellowing out of lace and will usually take something strong enough to make most coloured fabrics bleed. You might to use a wet cloth or detachable showerhead to clean and rinse off your detergent without causing too much spillover.
>>
>>10544377
those are OP's children have some fucking respect
>>
>>10544388
Don't talk to me or my 10,000 sons ever again
>>
>>10544044
Doesn't really seem to work.
>>
>>10544627
actually, some spiders have a higher percentage of females. just sayin,
>>
Any good detergent recommendations for the german region? I never can find any of the stuff recommended here.
>>
>>10544722
bump
>>
>>10543976
Yes
>>
>>10524494
They're made of shitty plastic that will get warped if you use water too hot
>>
i have serious skin problems if i wear clothes washed improperly, and because of this, i've had to wash my clothes carefully. you should only wash one of two ways:

1) shove your shit in a washer, use free-n-clear detergent (literally just unscented soap), and wash on temperature indicated on tag. ALWAYS hang dry. do NOT iron. you only have to iron if you didn't hang your clothes correctly before drying.

2) do everythin above except replace washing machine with a large bucket, and use your feet to agitate and clean your article. don't get a washing board. don't get a stupid fucking tumbling whatever. just get a bucket and use your feet. this is actually the gentlest and most traiditonal way to clean articles of clothing. dry in same manner
>>
>>10544722
buy unscented bar soap and cook it into liquid soap if you do not have unscented detergent in germany
>>
>>10524561
this post is good information too
>>
Lafary also made a lolita washing guide, japanese tho.
https://www.lafary.net/fashion/427/
>>
is it even useful to use silicia bags in a wardrobe?
>>
How do I get this mildewy mothball smell out of second hand items? It's an old usakumya and it smells awful, makes me want to never wear him. I don't think I can risk washing him with bleach or vinegar because it's one of the first releases, and that's about all I could find regarding getting persistent smells out on my own.
>>
>>10558383
putting things in the freezer seems to be popular to get rid of smells like that, idk how well it works tho
>>
I just discovered some old stains on this knit bolero. I tried soaking it for 48 hours in a mix of oxyclean and woolite with no real change. I’m not sure what it is, but probably food and it’s likely been there for months since I haven’t worn it in a while due to covid. Am I just out of luck?
>>
>>10524496
Fabric softener ruins delicate, I’d give it a miss
>>
>>10524515
I washed some faux fur stuff recently, got them all the stay nice by blow drying them, though don’t keep the heat on one area too long cause it can break down fibres
>>
>>10524515
Fur brush.
>>
how do I get what I assume are tea stains out of this pale, yellow fabric without discoloration?
>>
>>10564681
anon go to the stupid questions thread. it was already answered.
>>
>>10558383
Tried spritzing with (plain) vodka and air drying?
>>
For anyone with Transilvania Moonlight, how was it to wash? Any bleeding issues? I have it in red.
>>
How TF do you remove sweat yellowing from a pastel pink dress without fading it? Have a dream dress coming in tomorrow that has some yellowing on the neck facing that I'm hoping to remove because I'm autistic.
>>
>>10565666You'll want to do this in stages and be patient, especially if it's ripe.If you suspect it's ripe or built up, start with a degreaser/water solution, preferrably like dye free dawn if you can. That takes care of the body soil and physical residue.Then you want to use either hydrogen peroxide and or club soda, not together but like; rinse, product, rinse, the peroxide will have a bleaching effect if you leave it on and forget to rinse. Club soda just helps lift the stains a bit, won't do much if it's really dug in. I prefer using a soft/microfiber cloth for blotting.If you still have staining, hit it with oxyclean and gently brush it into the fabric with a soft or extra soft toothbrush.
If it's still stained, consult an expert at a dry cleaner.
>>
>buy black dress with white lace
>on cold with 10 color catchers
>lace still dyes
>tried stainremover, oxi clean and rewashing
>has not been dryed yet

Is there still a way to remove the grayish from the white? I was gonna try rubbing alcohol next
Help
>>
File: Vintage Fruit.jpg (12 KB, 208x242)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Anyone here wash Meta's Vintage Fruit in red? I'm high key terrified to wash it, especially considering it came with a specific tag warning that it might bleed...
>>
I’m looking to get a steamer for my dresses and non lolita clothes that I would prefer not putting in a washing machine. Does anyone have any good recommendations?
>>
>>10567571
amazon is ur friend here. i got one for like $15 and it works just fine on all my cotton ap dresses. It's portable too so i can take it with me to con hotel rooms or just travelling in general.
>>
>>10524666
Seconding this, except I'm willing to try any suggestions I get out on some scrap Angelic Pretty glitter fabric I'm getting. The fabric is from Sugar Dream Dome if that means anything to anyone.
>>
>>10572027
Did you buy the cat piss dress, anon?
>>
>>10572031
Nope, I bought a Sugar Dream Dome bag. I'm planning to make a headpiece out of it and I would have some scrap fabrics leftover so I'm looking to put it to good use.
>>
So I bought a bunch of cedar balls for my closet as extra protection from bugs, how should I go about placing them? Is it safe to place them directly touching clothing, or should I put them in a sachet first? I'm worried the cedar balls could stain my clothes, but I'm also worried that placing them in a sachet will defeat the purpose.

Also is picrel ok to have near real leather or should I remove it from my closet? I'm in Canada so it's a bit dry right now and I don't know if this will dry out leather.
>>
>>10540817
house spiders are going to die anyway if you just dump them outside, might as well squish rather than doom them to hypothermia. i just order mine to stay out of the kitchen, i like spiders significantly more than flies
>>
>>10572156
anon i...
spiders don't get cold...
>>
>>10572157
your spiders are being performatively macho if they're telling you that, they feel the cold just fine
>>
>>10572159
spiders are cold blooded, retard.
>>
>>10572156
How common are houseflies where you live? I rarely get them or other bugs so I rarely get spiders I guess.
>>
>>10572224
Congratulations, you have spiders
>>
>>10572227
I get what you sre trying to say but I keep my doors shut and have screens on my windows, plus I spray for spiders outdoors at least (on my patio; don't want spiders nor wasps making webs/nests or taking up shop)
>>
>>10572227

Spiders don't go where there is no food. Usually spiders and other bug eating critters don't show up in a home a lot until you have a lot of bugs.
>>
>>10572229
I don’t think this is true. My parents’ house had tons of carpet beetles, silverfish and frequently ants (despite my mom cleaning obsessively) but hardly ever a spider. In my apartment across the country, I see wolf and web spiders pretty often but never anything else. It’s probably more about climate and the age of the house.
>>
>>10572338
There are multiple factors of course but a lot of things that eat bugs (house geckos, spiders, house centipedes or whatever) usually like to be where there is a food source. There are also a ton of types of spiders. I did get quite a few little ones in my apartment in Japan even though it was clean and I sprayed for them, but I have heard mostly countryside homes get those big ones. Location and maybe proximity to nature could affect it.
>>
>>10572378
I live in a city so not near any legit woods, just a park. My grandma used to live in the country and get daddy longlegs but only in the areas of the house she didn't dust of keep tidy like the outdoor porch. Flies were less common cause she never liked leaving door open without the screens there since we had stray cats who might otherwise wander in. My other grandma lived right in the woods and got spiders all the time (once I saw two spiders fighting each other to the death in a windowsill, not kidding) so you are probably right. Like it's been said, location and how close you are to nature seems like an important factor.
>>
>>10572136
I store them in one of those organza drawstring bags, pic related, and hang that up on the closet rod. That way they're not rolling all over the place or touching my clothes directly, but still serve their purpose. You could also just store them in an open storage container on one of the shelves if you don't have the extra space to hang them up
>>
>>10565990
What does it being 'ripe' mean?
>>
>>10572440
One example is the fabric is stiff with build up, another is the BO has overtaken and it's more vicious smells than fabric. ymmv
>>
>>10564891
Updating because after 3 long years, that awful stench is finally gone. Didn't notice any difference at first, but a few days of spraying him down with rubbing alcohol and leaving to air out seemed to get most of it out. He no longer has to reside in a containment unit. Thanks so much, anon!
>>
I got a couple old cotton white blouses and I noticed they have those nasty sweat stains, is there any way to get out old stains like this? Would a dry cleaner be able to do it?
>>
>>10575972
If they're cotton you could bleach them
>>
I posted this in another thread but I'm going to try asking here as well.

I'm an idiot and dropped red pasta on my Sugary Carnival jsk. It's from 2009 and I need advice on how to get the stains out but this print is known to fade. Any help is appreciated.
>>
Does anyone have experience washing Strawberry Whip? It's a dress in relatively new condition, but I own very few berry prints and I fear it might bleed since it's the most vibrant one I own. It's the lavender colorway if that helps!

Also >>10576759 I've spilled marinara on dresses before and baking soda/vinegar has worked for me, or club soda/lemon juice/ice in times of desperation. However the internet says a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and warm water could also do the trick. Just don't leave it on your SC for too long.
>>
How to get set in tea stains out of cottob in without ruining the ivory fabric? Does vinegar work? I don't want to bleach the dress or make it smell like shit
>>
>>10576952
I assume you mean cotton?
Oxyclean should work for this.
>>
For those of you worrying about glitter prints 99% of the time with stuff like Milky planet, toy doll box, sugar dream dome(naming these specifically because they’re popular and I’ve washed them all but just insert any glitter print) you can just put it in the wash on a gentle cycle with baby detergent. If you’re really that anal then just hand wash with a baby detergent. Unless you’re washing them weekly they’re going to be fine. I’ve had some of my glitter pieces for a decade like miracle candy and while they aren’t super glitter heavy anymore it’s still there. I even throw mine in the dryer and they come out fine. The only thing I’ve had issue with in terms of glitter is fancy melody.
>>
How do you wash bows and headdresses?
>>
>>10577188
hand wash, blowdry on cold if it has metal or wiring
>>
how would I wash a stained plush bag? I'm guessing spot treat with oxiclean?
>>
has anyone washed this colorway of Candy Treat? it's NWT so it's probably never been washed before. at the risk of belonging in the stupid questions thread, what do

test a little bit of the fabric for running, soak with color catchers to get out loose dye?
>>
>>10577260
is it dirty all over or just in spots? if in spots just spot treat, if all over i would wash it like a stuffed animal (I do this a lot pls no bully)

fill sink with lukewarm water, use mild detergent, submerge bag, scrub scrub scrub with your hands. if there's stubborn dirt, use oxyclean on the especially bad bits, let sit, then handwash again. squeeze out excess water vigorously then let air dry.
>>
Can you hang lolita on a drying line outside? How long does it need to be out there to sun bleach? I feel like it would dry a lot faster and with less wrinkles if it was a little windy.
I am too much of a baby to try it though.
>>
>>10577276
Post landry tag pics? Can help you decode the symbols
>>
>>10577320
I prefer to lay mine flat on a table with a towel to dry. 1: i can place the ruffles how i like and 2: i have bad luck about my dress accidentally touching something dirty outside when i put it there to dry
>>
>>10577352
The symbols mean jack shit. I have tons of items that say both don’t wash and don’t dry clean and yet they do fine in my washing machine
>>
>>10577276
Cold water, gentle detergent, handwash cycle, color catcher(s). This works for 99% of AP cotton or polyester dresses.
>>
>>10577278
Thanks for the help anon! Spots all over unfortunately, looks to be probably food related. Was thinking of using Dawn to let sit, then into a bath of Oxiclean. have you tried something similar before?
>>
>>10577276
I wouldn't. That era, red always bleeds. Color catchers only work if you don't mind a slight pink hue to everything. Dry clean only.
>>
>>10577352
It's common for Japanese brands to put "Dry clean only" or some generic bullshit because they're too lazy to translate the actual cleaning steps into English and they use the same cleaning instructions for every tag so take the written advice with a grain of salt.
>>
Anons help, I’m about to cry because I’m a dumbass.
I had a white lace headbow that was yellowed so I soaked it in oxyclean. I went to check on it and the band is covered in rust spots!!! I pulled it out and rinsed it like a madman, and removed the band from the bow. I poured some vinegar on the spots, what else can I do? I’m so crushed, I knew it could rust if I didn’t dry it properly but I didn’t expect it to rust while it was soaking! ; - ;
>>
>>10576894
Thanks anon. I washed the stained spots with vinegar within a couple hours after the incident and most of it came out. There are still two stubborn spots that are lighter but have yet to come out and I've rubbed vinegar on it and washed it out three times at this point. Should I buy baking soda or hydrogen peroxide to see how those work?
>>
How do I remove a reddish stain from white cotton lace? The rest of the dress is sax. I'm an eurofag so if you have a specific product to recommend please bear that in mind.
Or am I better off just getting it dry cleaned?
>>
>>10580647
Oxyclean uses oxygen to help it work, so it can make rust worse, sadly.

A part in my washing machine rusted so I have some experience with this! Google baking soda and hydrogen peroxide treatments. It might take a few tries but keep at it.
Luckily, since it is white you don't need to worry about bleaching as much.
>>
>>10524476

their shit doesnt bleed!

Love it <3
>>
>>10524476
>>How do YOU stop your prints from bleeding?
by don't buying polyester shit with cheap prints on it
>>
>>10582845
it's more cotton that bleeds, not polyester
>>
Not laundry specifically but are there tips to keeping my pleather bags looking new?
Is there a treatment I should be doing on it to keep the pleather from cracking or something?
I just bought a Milk Heart Bag I am very excited for and want to upkeep it.
>>
Anons, how did you find your trusty drycleaner? Moving and I feel like finding one who knows how to care properly for nonstandard items like lolita is pretty difficult.
>>
>>10583397
Apart from looking at stuff like online reviews, people working in higher end boutiques are usually a good source of information on where to get dry cleaning/alterations done
>>
Anyone own this JSK or similar material with dark colors and white lace? Does the color bleed when washed?
>>
>>10584184
I don't have that specific piece but I have other dark+white AatP pieces. Generally I would say if it's poly (which is what that looks like) you don't have to worry about bleeding. If you're really worried about it you can use color catchers or wash it with cold water.
>>
>>10584204
Thank you
>>
>>10525086
>there's also a literal pandemic right now so if you're taking your stuff to the dry cleaners everytime you get a minuscule stain on it you're a dumbass.
LMAO. did you remember to wear your mask while posting this? daft idiot
>>
File: ribbon scallop.jpg (47 KB, 240x320)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I have an all cotton blackxwhite jsk that went in the wrong wash and now the lace is tinged pink. I managed to lighten it a bit with oxiclean and Dylon color run SOS but it's still not all the way there. Is there anything else I could do to get the lace white again without damaging the black fabric?
>>
How often do you all wash your petticoats? How do you dry them? Do they deflate faster if you wash them more?
>>
>>10585189
You can try a light white vinegar bath
>>
I’ve just bought myself a steamer thanks to this thread, though I didn’t realise they were a thing until fairly recently
>>
I found an item that I want to buy with lace that is "yellowing from age".
What are my options here? Is oxyclean going to help?
>>
>>10589087
Depends on the material but desu— in the BJD hobby, they often soak resin dolls in the oxyclean whitening solution to remove yellowing, so I can’t see why just soaking some possibly plastic lace wouldn’t work.
>>
>>10589087
Oxyclean will help. Soak it like the instructions say.
>>
>>10589112
>>10589114
Thanks. It is mostly cotton lace, so I doubt the item will be damaged by it at least. Since I wasn't sure what caused the stain I was a little worried it just wouldn't work.
>>
>>10577320
I hang mine out to dry inside out to prevent sun bleaching. Haven’t had a problem yet.
>>
>>10589147
Just make sure to remove any metal parts like buttons!
>>
>>10524939
You are highly amusing
>>
>>10577320
I wouldn't put it out for longer than an hour or two. I have a friend who used to hang their AP prints out to dry and the part of the dress that face the sun for long amounts of time are noticably faded.
>>
Not lolita but I've noticed that a lot of Japanese fashion brands (normie shit you'd find anywhere in Shibuya) have tags that say DO NOT WASH DO NOT DRY CLEAN on them.
Well then tf are you supposed to do? It's impractical to spot clean clothes meant for casual/business/daily wearing.
>>
Where should I store my real leather bags and shoes in my closet? Like top or bottom? I heard before that pleather items should be kept at the top of the closet, and was wondering if that logic applies to real leather items as well.
>>
>>10593355
Did they say why pleather should be stored at the top? I have never heard that before.
>>
File: VM_tag.jpg (1.27 MB, 3936x1564)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
Sorry for the absolute newbie post but I recieved my first dress a few weeks ago.
It's pic related ( rococo bouquet in pink colorway) and is in excellent condition for a 2001 dress ( no color fading ), just slight armpit stain that I didn't even noticed at first (it seem they where caused by sweat not deodorant stain ).
From what I read on the live journal list the dress can be handwashed, but from what I undersand from different source, people just soak and rince their lolita items when handwashing ? I'm always giving items a good beat when I handwash them since I mostly wash by hand heavy stained or color bleeding pieces so I was a bit confuse. I was also wondering if putting more detergent directly on the pit stain could be enought to remove it while just soaking it ( did a water and detergent test on the red part of the print ) since my detergent work for regulard pit stain.
I was also slightly confuse but it's probably a printing mistake that the "only petrolium base solvent for dry cleaning "logo have a weird 1 instead of the yu katakana ( pink related )

Sorry for the long post
>>
>>10593355
>>10593399
I can’t think of a reason why pleather needs to be stored at the top. But what it does need is minimal fluctuation in temperature and relative humidity. Perhaps to facilitate better air flow than at the bottom of the closet? But if you are on a second floor and heat rises, I would not store them up there.
>>
>>10594756
i have no idea if this dress bleeds or will take well to my usual treatment for sweat, but here: If it is sweat and it's not a severe stain, try soaking in water and dawn dish detergent for a few hours. Apply the dish detergent directly to the stain and gently rub it in. If it's still not gone after you rinse the dawn out, do it again. If it's really not looking any better, use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda ONLY ON THE STAIN. Do NOT let it sit for hours, as it will bleach it. Only let it sit for 10-15 minute increments before checking and rinsing. Do not let the dress dry during this, as it will make it harder to get the stain out in the long run.
>>
>>10594756
I own rococo bouquet from a different year and I wash it in the washing machine in a net in gentle cycle. It doesn't bleed. You can also handwash it how you wash your other clothing and follow >>10594761 on how to remove the stain.
>>
>>10594761
thank you ! Since it didn't bleed during my test, I will try this, and fully wash it after to not get soap ring on the armpit ( happend to me when spotcleaning another item ).

>>10594771
Thank you, I was also a bit scared for the pinttuck on the dress, but machine wash seem easier. I'm just going to wash it by hand the first time to check for overall dirt since it hasn't been washed for a longtime.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.