[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is it weird to cosplay as an original character? What are your thoughts?
>>
Don't expect anyone to recognize who you are cosplaying as.
>>
I’ve done it for fun because canon material wasn’t doing it for me lately. Do it for you. Don’t expect anyone to really care unless it’s something elaborate.
>>
>>10402493
It would technically be a costume and not a cosplay. But if you want to do it then just do it.
>>
I have a few obscure costumes I'd like to wear that no one would know where it's from, so yeah I'd go for it for myself.
>>
hmm you could do it but you'd have to be able to survive the question
"hey anon, who are you cosplaying as?"
>>
I made a lot of OCs when I was a weeby teenager and my first boyfriend decided to go to a con as one of them. It was pretty embarrassing. Every time someone asked ‘’so what are you?’ He would excitedly grab me and say ‘I’m one of my GF’s characters! His name is ____!’
>>
>>10402493
I cosplayed my gaia oc years ago, some people recognized that it was gaia which was pretty fun.
shame that site is broken, especially during quarintine
>>
>>10402800
You sound ungrateful
>>
>>10402511
I don't agree. After all, cosplay is dressing up as other people's OCs.

I think the only real issue with cosplaying your own OC is if you're trying to enter a cosplay contest with it. Many don't even allow OCs.
>>
I don't think dressing up as your own oc is cosplay. If you want to express yourself do it with your clothes and be the person you want to be or if you want to act do LARP. Cosplay for me is to dress up as a char from a known story because you love the story and the char and want to find people who also love it.
>>
I think it's fine, the word breaks down to Costume Play and wearing your OC's clothes is a costume. I've seen people at cons wear thier LARP gear or some random military uniforms with a mask so if they can do that, I see no harm in doing your OC. Just make it look good and maybe people will gain interest in your work.
>>
>>10402728
That's when you tell them it's an OC. I've done this and gotten positive responses.
>>
>>10402800
cute and wholesome

I plan on cosplaying at least one of my OCs at some point. One I made when I was like 13, another is a DnD character. Idk, just the thought makes me happy. So what if it's a bit dumb/cringy. I get a rush when I get to look like a character I really like, and it'd be similar with my OCs even if nobody will recognize who I'm dressed as lol.
>>
>>10402845
you got it wrong. OCs are characters, not necessarily a projection you do of yourself. If you're dressing up as a -fictional- character, be it your own creation or someone else's, it's still cosplay.
larping is kinda similar, 'expressing yourself' as you said is a totally different concept. I can wear crazy clothes/makeup to express myself but that doesn't make a cosplay.
>>
Its a good way to practice cosplay if your not quite comfortable or dont know how to find good fabric and makeup.

Also thats pretty much beginner LARP so yeah.
>>
i think it's fine. me and my cosplay friends double as a dnd group and they tossed around cosplaying as our characters before, only thing is i play as an angry british woman and i'm a filthy burgerlander guy
>>
>>10412466
Fuck yeah dude, your probably fun ass hell to play dnd with
>>
I want to a star wars oc bc just don't want to cosplay any of the canon characters but I also really like the aesthetic. I want to cosplay one of the alien races. My only real goal is to be sufficiently star wars-y that people won't ask what series I'm from. I think that's a pretty reasonable goal.
>>
Don't think so. You can cosplay whatever u want anon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.