[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkZB6YxtWKI

Is general hygiene at cons still a big issue? I feel like it was a given that conventions used to just generally smell, and that there was always multiple encounters with a gross as fuck beast at some point. Has it gotten better?

When was the last time you smelled something/someone FOUL at a con? What was the worst experience? Were you ever that person?
>>
>>10171917
I fuck with this song!
>>
>>10171917
Not a specific person but at my local con's old venue there were a few conference rooms for various activities and the game room was pretty much impossible to breathe in, I walked in, took in one breath and walked out. Now the new venue is two big warehouse style halls with partitions so air can circulate and BO smells can't accumulate in one room, thank god.
>>
I stood a good 2 feet away from this one guy at a con....

I could still smell him.
It's still a huge issue.
>>
It's still a big issue. People don't know what a shower is.
I became a person that refuses/ignores the "Free Hugs" people because when I was still new to cons, this one girl had a Free Hugs sign and I went for a hug. Her smell. I can still remember it.
People need to stop thinking body odor is cute.
>>
This is the best kind of con living. Some of these people should be dipped in bleach.
>>
Weather defo plays a factor. Its really not difficult to atleast smell clean.
Shower right beforehand. Unironically take a can of Axe with you.
>>
>>10171917
It used to be that it was just a few unwashed clueless socially malformed people who never learned to bathe daily.

Now it's a political statement and calling them out is racist, sexist, and abelist, and will get you chucked from the convention.
>>
>>10178866
>Unironically take a can of Axe with you.

Please fucking don't. Having to stand next to someone doused in body spray or perfume is nearly as bad as being near someone who never washes.
>>
>>10179391
can confirm, am allergic to this shit if you put axe on my ass will start choking. wear a normal deodorant for christ’s sake
>>
>>10179390
links to any articles?
>>
Why don’t these people shower? What goes on in their head that makes them refuse a standard practice of any civilized human?
>>
>>10179515
excitement and exhaustion, usually. if you're going 12 hours on each day you don't have any time or energy to do more than pass out on your hotel bed
>>
>>10179515
They also just have bad social grace/manners. Then again, I get made fun of by my family for taking two showers daily.

I’m always absolutely terrified of being sweaty in cosplay.
>>
>>10179390
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt

I vaguely recall people getting badges pulled because they fucking smelled.
>>
Somewhat related and since it's summer, anyone have tips for reducing smell in big/warm costumes? Obviously shower/deodorant but that can only go so far
>>
>>10179522
bullshit excuse, even if im doing a 16 hour day, im certainly not getting into my cosplay the next day covered in a layer of sweat and musk
>>
>>10179562
Dried sweat is what actually gives off that rancid smell compared to fresh sweat. I think sweating a bit is expected in some outfits. Best you can do is shower/deodorant and clean your costume between cons.

>>10179522
Takes 10 mins. Take a shower, I can smell you through the screen.
>>
>>10179562
If your costume is clean and you shower and apply deodorant, you're not going to smell. If your costume smells from sweat and stuff and you can't wash it, spray it with a mixtures of 1/2 water, 1/2 cheap vodka. It kills the smell.
>>
I tried so damn hard to not be a sweaty smelly mess at a con I attended. I bought clinical streghth deoderant and a little recheargable fan to carry around. I even missed out on a panel I really wanted to go to because I could feel the sweat accumulating on my stomach from my cheap polyester wish costume and I felt gross.
Idk how some men can walk around feeling cold sweat getting warm on their body and think its fine.
>>
>>10179604
Who says it's just men?
>>
>>10179572
Of course there's no actual excuse to not shower, anon's just explaining how people end up not doing so. People geinuelly get caught up in all the stuff to do at a con and forget to take care of themselves in general, not just showering, you always see people that forget to eat and sleep too.
>>
>>10179604
The people with the real funk haven't showered in a while. As long as you've showered that day and have deodorant on, a little bit of sweat's not going to get you a stench unless you have a disorder or something and not something to worry about as long as you shower when you get back to your hotel room and take care of your cosplay if you're wearing it again that con.
>>
>>10179587
i do 8 hours and get a shower, hot meal, and good nights sleep lmfao
>>
>>10179645
>People geinuelly get caught up in all the stuff to do at a con and forget to take care of themselves in general, not just showering, you always see people that forget to eat and sleep too.

The 6-2-1 rule needs to be driven into newbies heads.
>>
>>10179548
Two showers/day must be a must especially if your a sweaty guy
>>
File: worry.png (396 KB, 753x630)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>10171917
When I was at ACEN by and large things smell fine... WITH TWO EXCEPTIONS. For anyone who has been to ACEN you'll be familiar with the skyway, for those who haven't it's a long above ground tunnel connecting the conference center and the hotel. That fucking tunnel got ZERO ventilation and over the course of the con became progressively hotter, and smellier. It got to the point where I just took the outside route that was twice as long and went through rain just so I could breathe. On top of that, the tunnel was a total clusterfuck so you were going through the stench at a snails pace.

The other exception was unsurprisingly the Warhammer 40k tabletop gaming room. I just poked my head in to glance around and immediately had my nose hairs singed off. No other gaming room had that smell, not even the Smash players smelled that bad, it was truly appalling.

I honestly don't understand how people can go to big events like this and not want to put their best foot forward. Of all the places you'd want to smell decent you'd think it'd be at the big convention of one of your favorite hobbies.
>>
Maybe it's just a Texas thing, but none of the cons I've attended have ever smelled.
>>
I'm always self conscious and anxious over this. I shower thoroughly and apply a generous amount of deodorant and cologne but I'm always terrified I might stink somehow, or something. that's one of my biggest fears right next to "costume ripping in the worst places possible". makes my stomach turn.

that being said I think some people just really have no self awareness. maybe they get so used to their own BO they don't notice it. (not to justify it ofc, just trying to understand how can someone not basic hygiene)
>>
How can people go a day without showering or brushing their teeth? I feel absolutely disgusting if I go without one for too long and have to shower to feel comfortable
Last year at AX while waiting in line for a booth, every time this guy talked in my general direction, I just smelled shit. Like I'm sure someone has told him his mouth smells like he drank from a septic tank before, because it was nauseating.
>>
>>10185370
Because they literally have no social skills. Im always paranoid about smelling bad because I have no sense of smell, so I cant check if i smell bad. I shower a lot
>>
For me the biggest killer is when you're approached by someone and they clearly haven't brushed their teeth in the last month.

If a room is filled with the stench of BO then it's easier to get out of the situation, but bad breath is something I find harder to mask my disgust against. I don't see why I should, I'd be doing them and anyone they encounter a favour but I'm a pussy when it comes to offending anyone.

I also just avoid the games rooms because they are the worst culprit for sweaty gross people. I personally take a shower before putting my cosplay on, and again after I've taken it off. It's probably overkill but just because everyone else is disgusting doesn't mean I have to be - I'd be mortified if I smelled bad.
>>
>Is general hygiene at cons still a big issue?
Yes, but sadly that's unavoidable when you put a lot of people together in one venue. There will always be a few with bad BO, just like you will always have a few creeps, a few alcoholics and a few wearing highly "unflattering" outfits. The only difference is they stand out as opposed to the tons of perfectly fine and forgettable people who walked by.

Also the weather and venue are often what makes things way worse than necessary. Moist hot weather, having little to no ventilation and overcrowding are what cause more people to start sweating like crazy and for the smell to linger. Game rooms are always the worse and I prefer to avoid them after the first convention day. I really don't get why some of them prefer to close the blinds an keep the windows closed all convention long.
>>
>>10179871
I'm so thankful that video gaming outgrew the Hyatt basement.
It would get so bad that they had to kick everyone out to air out the room.
The layout this year was great, everything was very open and I never really noticed any funky smells while being in there.
>>
>>10171917
1. shower. use soap and shampoo your hair.
2. wear clean clothes. bring at least one extra day of underwear and 2 extra of socks.
3. deodorant, sticks. I prefer suave, as alcohol-based deodorant burns my skin. SECRET TECH: you can apply these kinds to your feet (after a shower, obviously, you filthy people), and this will seriously reduce foot sweat even after a full say of wearing shoes. Again, clean socks, shoes, etc.
4. related to the above: rotate shoes if you have an extra pair.
5. do not go hard on ax, cologne, perfume etc. you want the absence of smell more than anything else. If you want a scent, no more than half a second, and consider deploying it on a undershirt rather than your outermost layer.
6. Please seriously consider trimming fingernails once a week. Brush your teeth daily and floss twice a week at a minimum - even I have issues with that last one.
7. in bathrooms: wash with soap and water, then also use alcohol-based dis-disinfectant. You can deploy the latter on surfaces like chair armrests if you're going to be somewhere for a while.

none of this is con experience, this is literally what I do when I go to work. how much more is it needed at a con!
>>
>>10179604
...isn't sweat usually warm, and then it grows cold, not the other way around?
>>
File: goldbond.jpg (30 KB, 488x488)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>10188101
Also used body powder. It will keep you dry in the melting summer heat.
>>
>people making excuses for not washing

I'm sorry, but I have never heard a HALF decent excuse as to why washing yourself is out of the question. It takes less than 10 minutes in a shower with a bar of soap to give yourself a quick wash. It's not like you have to fill up a bubble bath with oils and a delicate collection of shampoos every time you need to get the stank off your body.
>>
How can I stop sweating so profusely?For context, even in winter I feel quite warm, at the last con I was at I resorted to stuffing socks under my arms and throwing them away and replacing them every few hours to prevent getting sweat patches on my cosplay.I put loads of deodrent on and it seems to do nothing.
>>
>>10197610
Have you tried clinical deodorant? Sounds like you might have hypohydrosis
>>
As someone recovering from a neurosis, a con would probably kill me if I hadnt a thing called disinfectant
>>
File: _20190616_014811.jpg (51 KB, 646x765)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>10197610
are you a man? if you are wear cologne to really get that musky man smell and PLEASE let me sniff your disgusting stinky armpits FUCKKFFJFJFJFJSNIFFFFDDFFDFFFFFFFFF

... anyway on a more serious note it sounds like you have an actual medical problem. consult a professional. it's either hormonal imbalance (too much testosterone) or hyperhidrosis.

also you can get super absorbent sweat pads on aliexpress or something if you don't wanna throw socks away
>>
>>10197610
get clinical strength ANTIPERSPIRANT (it can have deodorant in it too but antiperspirant is the important part) and put it on every night before bed. it works by sealing off your pores and it does that best when your body temperature drops at night
>>
>>10197610
Aside from the clinical deodorant mentioned above;
-lower your INTERNAL body temperature by avoiding hot drinks and consuming cold drinks
-try to lose some weight
-eat less meat/proteins
-drink less water
-wear less/thinner clothes, particularly when it comes to socks
-shave your armpits
>>
>>10171917
Just finished Magic con this past weekend, the gaming room was ice cold, which I assumed was to keep the funk down and keep people from staying for too long.
>>
>>10171917
>When was the last time you smelled something/someone FOUL at a con? What was the worst experience?

I had an artist alley table next to an obese couple that smelled like farts the entire time. the entire weekend of smelling them. I had to walk around just to get fresh air.
>>
File: ungabunga.jpg (41 KB, 800x450)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>10171917
Some guy who saw me in a con added me on discord and kept talking to me, offered to pay for my hotel on the next big con.

Well, he did deliver and we shared a room.
He didn't shower during all 3 days.

What the fuck, and he was fat too.
>>
>>10188101
Really nigga? You do all that but don't floss every day?
>>
>>10204992
Smart organizers.
>>
>>10179390
anti-sjws will act like just because some jezebel author witch-woman wrote an article about something in 2015 that that's how the entire world works now

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.