[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: smallbois.jpg (43 KB, 557x279)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
I'm going to be heading to a smaller con in NJ in a week or so. I was just curious about people's opinions/preferences between smaller and bigger cons. Also if you had any experiences at a con that you happened due to size, i'd love to hear them.
>>
Depends on what you're going to the con for, imo.

If youre trying to flaunt your effort in a great cosplay, a smaller, local con will present a smaller stage for you to stand out on, accompanied by the benefit of potentially less competition vying for attention.

If you're looking for a place to spend your weebbucks, a larger con will tend to have a more diverse vendor hall, and more than likely a separate artist alley.

Smaller cons feel more intimate, but larger cons aren't necessarily unable to feel quaint. If you have a group you're going with, their preferences will sway you. Smaller cons tend to be cheaper as well.
>>
As >>10150502 said it's all about what you're in it for.

If you're in it for the cosplay, smaller cons won't draw as big of a crowd so if your cosplay is mainstream you won't have as much competition but more obscure stuff won't get as much attention.

If you're in it for the guests, small cons have fewer but smaller lines. Big cons will have longer lines, especially for headliners.

If you're in it for competitions, you have better chances at winning at smaller cons, but smaller prizes are to be expected as well.

If you're in it to meet people, small local cons will have more people in your area that you might be able to hang out with outside of the convention.

And as a last note, if you think your local con is too small, support it so it can grown.
>>
Judging by pic and context, are you talking about CPAC?

CPAC is super chill, been going to it for years. They just moved locations last year so I hope they improve upon the feedback given to them. There are lots of younger kids so it's more family friendly than most cons.
>>
I feel like the first two posts basically already explained my feelings on it! I like to go to my very small local con because it gives me a better chance at participating in competitions and such. I could never even get called on during trivia at big cons but at this one I was called on multiple times because there were only maybe 15 people even in the room so I actually won something from it too! Also if you're nervous about doing something like hosting a panel or joining the cosplay contest then a small con is a good place to start with those. Like one of the other anons stated though if you cosplay something obscure you are a lot less likely to find someone else who appreciates it at a small con. I wore a Touhou cosplay to my local con and only had one person come talk to me about it even though I usually get a pretty good amount of attention at bigger cons when I cosplay from Touhou!
>>
>>10150494
CPAC is super chill. I used to go every year. Its not a con you'd drive three hours for, but if you're local or from the city, it's a good time.
>>
>>10150494
Don't know if animenext is considered big or small, probably around the middle but it's pretty chill and has decent panels. People are pretty cool for the most part, lots of pregame at the rave so I like to fuck around with my buddies there.
>>
The first con I went to was pretty small, but I had such a good time. I still get nostalgic for it from time to time. Now I prefer to go to bigger cons though, there’s more people to meet and more artists to discover in artists alley.
>>
>>10150751
>And as a last note, if you think your local con is too small, support it so it can grown.

Double edged sword.

I supported a newish con, and enjoyed it a lot since it was small and comfy/community driven.

After 2 years they got a stupid idea in their head to try and become like AX and go big, and ended up destroying themselves trying to become a con no one who currently liked the convention wanted, and then crashed and burned themselves into destruction.

Stay within your lane, mother fucking convention runners. A decent couple years does not mean go throttle in another direction in year 3.
>>
>>10160115
What con was it?
>>
I went to a local con here in San diego (Not Comic con international).

It was held in a hotel and there were just 12 booths in the artist alley. 10 vendors in a room and the number of people Dressed in costume is countable on one hand

I’m glad it was only $15 though because i kinda wanted to get out after 2 hours scouring everything/making rounds

It felt like a Farmers market than a con desu

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.