[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

Why you personally do cosplay?
Is it to fill a void? Because you love too much a character? As a brief escape from reality? Im Very interested in your answers anons
>>
>>10149067
Its a mixture of being a fan of a certain show and getting to escape reality by dressing up in something strange for a weekend. Its fun to run around in unconventional clothes like witch hats and robes while everyone treats you like normal for a few days.
>>
Its an easy way to get money from neckbeards and underage kids
>>
>>10149086
Does this work if you are a man?
>>
>>10149101
if you wear a skirt and a pink wig, yes
>>
As a kid the reason I wanted to was just because I wanted to show my love for the characters, but as I grew older and actually had the money to cosplay it quickly became just a way to feel more confident. I don’t really care who I’m dressed as, it’s just nice to be in a different persona I suppose?
>>
>>10149067
I like making things with my hands and going from a pile of materials to a finished garment. With cosplay specifically it's also a cool community where you can make friends and learn many different things. Plus I get an opportunity to wear pretty dresses that I normally would have no reason to ever wear
>>
>>10149167
The exact reasons why I cosplay. Damn, we’re a dying breed.
>>
>>10149067
>Why you personally do cosplay?
Because watching anime isn't enough.
I must become anime.
>>
>>10149067

It's partly due to love for the characters I Cosplay and partly because I love making stuff like costumes, armor, etc. Maybe it's also to satisfy my slight narcist side.
>>
>>10149265
Basado
>>
>>10149067
I like anime and vidya, it's fun and I like looking back at photos of me going through the process of 0-100% completion whether it's a wig or a full costume.

When I was younger, it was an escape from being bullied in school. Conventions were a nice place to spend time with other nerdy kids who liked the weirdo Japanese cartoons people at school laughed at me for liking.
>>
>>10149067
I have a bit of a theater background, doing costume and set work for a couple of years. i didnt actually start cosplaying until much later though.

if anything though, im mostly interested in making props and stuff for people rather than myself.
>>
Mainly so I can find others who like my characters at conventions, because I love my characters and want to talk about them.
>>
It’s fun to break costumes down and make things that don’t exist a reality. I especially love using cheaper materials and seeing the finished results that come from a pile of craft foam and some contact cement.

As much as it stresses me out sometimes the creation part is amazingly fun - putting the whole costume together and wearing it around the con is just the icing on the cake.
>>
>this bait thread
>>
>>10149067
So I can stop being a massive fucking introvert and actually pretend to be a socially functional adult?

Also because its fun to show how much I like a given character.
>>
File: 1554003832061.gif (340 KB, 400x294)
340 KB
340 KB GIF
On the slightly older side of things 30~, there's a lot of interesting older characters that don't get much love, and usually I don't stand out that much. Like a dozen already said, it's so I can change that for a few days, enjoy myself without even caring what someone thinks of me, and go full vacation with it.

I don't know if it makes sense but where I'd usually care about someone's thoughts on me at times, here I am actually interested in their response and, especially for places out in the open with more normal people, it's a pretty amusing situation.

I tend to wear facepaint, masks, or at least wigs though.
>>
>>10149067
It's fun to goof off with other nerds dressed up as fictional characters.
Plus it's like the easiest ice breaker ever, I've made some great friends just because we happened to be dressed as characters from the same series at a random con 5 years ago.
>>
>>10149704
Thats nice OP here, its the kind of thing im aiming for i really just want to meet people with similar interest :)
>>
I'm an artsy-crafty kind of guy. As a kid, I drew a ton and would often make things - sock puppets, clay figures, comic books. My parents also made things - my mom sewed quilts and painted, my dad did carpentry and other handyman things; as a result, I know my way around hardware and craft stores. And - perhaps most critically - as a kid I never had a store-bought Halloween costume.
So cosplay is sort of a modern way to exercise my handiness and creativity. I like drawing but was always shy about sharing it with others, plus since I do digital artwork I lose the 'physicality' of things I create. Cosplay becomes a fun and crafty "puzzle solving" - what did this prop look like? this is from a cartoon, how do I translate that into reality? obviously I can't afford the complexity, what compromises can I make with the design? how do I make it fit me while staying light enough to wear? etc etc. It's fun, challenging, fulfilling, and impressive.
>>
>>10149739
It's not a free pass obviously, but it helps. At least you'll have something to talk about.
>>
It's like fanart. Shows how much I love the characters while providing a way to meet other people also into the same stuff. Plus I like feeling handsome and don't get to much in my daily wear, and as a trans dude I've found that cosplay is one of the few areas where people actually will assume I'm male at a glance.
>>
>>10149067
There are so many reasons that I love cosplay and that in itself is what sets it apart from dressing formally for an occasion. There's layers of good feels stacked on to each other. I feel attractive and put together when I dress up for an event, but that's it. With cosplay, it's not just the appeal of dressing up but also being seen as someone entirely different, connecting with others on a personal level despite being strangers, and showing off my love for a character as well as my creative skills. It eliminates the a chunk of the awkward phase of getting to know someone because there's an immediate connection to one's interests based on the character they dress up as.
>>
>>10149889
>It's like fanart.
Same!
And I love getting creative/doing handwork. Nothing more satisfying than creating something beautiful/awesome out of a pile of materials, and learning more about doing it better
>>
>>10149067
I fucking love playing dress up. Pretend. Just being artistic. Appreciating the characters I love. Making something that looks like it popped right out of the show. All of the above, desu, though there is no void because I have friends I met through this hobby, and for the most part it's amazing.

There is something really fun about bringing scenes from a show or comic or game I like to life. Goofing off in character is a lot of fun and I have great memories from joking around, or from taking serious photos that hit me in the feels.

Sometimes sewing something is stressful but the end product when I get there always makes me want to come back for more. Why does the thing I love have to end when the creator is done making content? I can make my own, draw out the fun, share it with my friends and get excited over it.

My absolute favorite thing I think is running into or actually cosplaying a rare character and then you meet up and get that photo together that you had been dying to see created. And then you spend the rest of your time geeking out about it or acting like the characters. I'm not really interested in getting into theater because I have stage fright and I am more drawn to pop culture characters anyway. But I feel like it's a very similar thrill to the one actors get on the stage when I dress up. It's a blast.
>>
Just about gave me a crisis, anon, bc I don't really know why I cosplay.
As a kid, I just found it super cool. Then, I started making friends from it so I kept doing it.
Now, I just like the challenge of making things I'm not used to.
Honestly, part of it is probably because I like the attention/approval I get from it. It's nice since it gives me some confidence/reassurance that I don't get from my personal life.
>>
Because i fucking hate myself so any moment I can pretend to be someone else is a blessing from god
>>
You know how sometimes you want to be literally anyone else on the planet?
If you wear a costume you get to be someone else for a limited time. Results may vary, but it works for me for up to three days.
>>
>>10151023

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.