[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 81 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Alright bitches, one of the most meh of summer cons is next month. What are your cosplay plans? Are you traveling from out of state to attend? Is there anything in particular you’re looking forward to? Are you an oldfag that is absolutely jaded by this convention but use it as an excuse to do molly and drink nonstop with total strangers for 4 days? Let’s discuss!
>>
Got my badge and my time off approved! Not traveling out of state, this will be my 4th time. I heard they fixed the lines so after 3 years off I'll see how it goes. Going to be one of the 1,000 Links there.

Looking forward to some gatherings, most of the panels on the forums seem kinda meh, but maybe something will pique my interest. I do wish they hadn't moved the ball from the Fairmont Hotel. It was beautiful there. The hall next to that museum is ugly and still overcrowded. Also not sure if I should crossplay at the ball. Prince style or poofy ball gown? Hard to choose...

How is everyone else feeling about this Fanime?
>>
>>10142116
I’m pretty excited, not necessarily for the con itself, but because I’ll be spending my 4 days off with my partner, doing weeb shit. I’m hoping to attend the ball but seeing as it’s not really my partner’s thing, I’ll probably be going by myself. I’m also looking forward to the j-fashion show.
>>
>>10142802
Yeah the con is alright, but there's lots of stuff to check out which makes it fun for me. It's nice you get to go with your partner, I've gone solo the past 2 times. The ball is one of my highlights, but man sometimes you get some awkward dance partners. One guy was just reeeeeeally sweaty. I always miss the j-fashion show, maybe I'll actually make it for once!
>>
>>10142844
The two times I’ve been to the fashion show were really fun, so I definitely recommend going!
>>
probably the funnest weekend of my life annually desu.
>>
tfw new job and my days off are only part of the con
it's been a long time since i haven't been able to go to all of fanime
>>
>>10142848
I hope I can make it! Why are fashion shows usually early, ugh.

>>10142851
What do you usually like to do? Are you cosplaying or showing off some new coords?

>>10142877
I got lucky with the holiday and was able to get the rest of my time off approved. I asked way in advance, a lot of people want it off, some for Fanime as well!
>>
>>10142985
Hopefully you can go! I need to take some time to plan out a coord.
>>
>>10142985
i'm still going to be on probation for a few months
so no vacation. working the holiday but i get double pay for that and vacation time in the bank
>>
Anyone know any decent cosplay photographers who typically attend fanime? We're traveling and don't know who's worth paying/etc. For a Photoshoot.
>>
>>10143054
If it's around the same time as a meetup I'm going to I may end up there in cosplay. So I don't have to tote around a coord and one or two cosplays. I'm just imagining the baggage... Multiple petticoats.

>>10143093
Extra holiday pay is good at least. I was on a year probation awhile back. It sucked, missed pretty much all the events that year. Still hope you have a good time!

>>10143161
Unfortunately no, but maybe there are some people on the forums who have had good photoshoots done. But I wouldn't know how reliable that info is.
>>
File: 1374928248261.jpg (123 KB, 807x861)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>10141195

>oldfag that is absolutely jaded by this convention

I thought I was the only one.

But seriously, I've been going since '05 and this year is probably the last year that I'm going for a full weekend. It's been interesting to see how the con has changed over the years (and how normie-passive it's become), but the novelty has definitely worn off. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy myself nonetheless, but to nowhere near the same degree I once did.
>>
>>10143389
I’ve been going on and off since 2005, and I think this will also be my last year going for the full weekend. It’s the only con I’ve gone to and I realize that I need to branch out and try out other ones. Fanime will always have a special place in my heart.
>>
If you go to Fanime, hit up CWF
>>
Any guests seem interesting? I usually pass on guest panels and whatnot because I have no idea who anyone is. If I have time I might go to a panel, but the lineup seems meh.
>>
>>10141195
I was thinking of buying one of those 160 dollar pikachu costumes to cosplay for the first time. I've never cosplayed before and I'm too old and ugly to be doing face cosplay.
>>
>>10151365
Oh like a mascot? I think you need a handler if you have visibility issues in your cosplay. Still, sounds awesome.
>>
>>10151365
>I'm too old and ugly to be doing face cosplay
fuck I know that feeling all too well anon
>>
This is my first time coming to Fanime, anyone have opinions on the food situation? Should I grocery shop before the con?
>>
It's gonna be my 12th year. I'm excited for CWF, and a little miffed the panel my roommates and I put on got waitlisted but it's whatever. I hope the game room has some good stuff this year and lots of table space for board games/card games. Last year it felt like they really downsized that stuff.

>>10151976
Lots of good places to eat 1-3 blocks from the con center, plus street dog vendors right outside at all hours. If you don't mind paying 10-20 per meal at those places and a wait you'll be fine. There is also a safeway about 2 blocks from the con center so you don't have to worry about packing a bunch of groceries in the car before getting there.
>>
>>10151976
I’m a vegetarian so I can only comment on the meatless options but my god does downtown SJ have the hookup when it comes to food. The restaurants are pretty decently priced overall, and like >>10152059
mentioned, there’s also that Safeway. It’s a godsend to have a grocery within walking distance from the hotels.
>>
>usual con group goes to AX for the past 6-7 years
>getting bored of AX, we all decide on Fanime
>don't have money for both cons
did we make a mistake?
>>
>>10152598
Depends? What did you like about AX? It seems more industry, but has lots of exclusive merch. That seems to be the main reason many people go. (And concerts)
Fanime is more chill, like a hang out con. They finally fixed the line problem for badge pickup, but the lines for panels are still long. It's also hot last weekend of May, but there's plenty of shade and a nice nearby parks. There are lots of good restaurants nearby as well.
The con is kind of spread out at nearby hotels, the con center itself, and its connecting hotels. So there is some walking, but not too bad. Shuttle lines can be long. The meetups for different shows/games are awesome and always fun for me. The masquerade is meh and I usually skip. But that's just me.
Idk about the guests much, they seem okay. There's dances and a ball, gaming, panels of course, and tons of awesome cosplay.
I do hope you have fun!
>>
>>10152628
Our group all loves AX, hut we're just super tired of the large crowds. I realize Fanime still has a lot of people but not as much as AX so we can live with that. Thanks for the tips about the area.
>>
>>10152790
No prob! If AX's numbers are true, fanime is like a third? of the size. Some spots are of course crowded, but everyone is spread out enough that you aren't suffocated the whole con.
>>
Definitely looking forward to the convention, but I'm for sure at the jaded oldfag state. Fanime has always been a sort of reunion since I've lived away from most of my long time friends for the past decade, but I live close to all those people now so it's a bit less special seeing them. I know it will still be a great weekend but it'll be hard to feel that magic I once felt. That said it's my 10th fanime so I'm hoping I can get something real special out of it.
>>
>>10143161
I recommend oversteep (look that name up on IG). I've liked their work for a while.
>>
Panel listings are up
https://www.fanime.com/panels/panel-listing/
And we're also a little over a month away!
>>
File: ....jpg (49 KB, 583x498)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>checking reviews for the hotel I booked for fanime
>a lot of reviews mention not having not water in the hotel
>>
>>10156422
*hot water
>>
>>10156066
The j-fashion show is during multiple big gatherings. Guess I'm gonna miss it, someone take photos please!

>>10156424
That sucks anon. Any way to boil water to make food/pour into the tub?
>>
File: 1525833450296.jpg (39 KB, 534x482)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Oh boy can't wait to do another shitty tv head playing anime again. This time I'll have fans in it so I don't die from heat
>>
>>10156736
That's cool! If I have time I was going to try to turn a crt monitor I have into a non functional tv head. Did you follow a specific tutorial to make yours?
>>
>>10151976

Food situation is good overall. Thanks to the nearby college, there are many chain restaurants, snack places, bars, coffee shops, and a Safeway within walking distance. You might want to check out the trendy "food court" type places, of which there are two. One is called San Pedro Square, the other is called SoFA Market (don't remember what that stands for). It will be crowded, but you can count on getting good food.
>>
did anyone attend last year's auction?
>>
>>10156761
I didn't follow any tutorials because my thing was just a box over my head with a screen cut on one side, hence the shit part. Good luck on your TV head though.
>>
I'll probably go for a day or two. I'm a jaded oldfag.
>>
>>10158442
How old are all the jaded oldfags out there? I'm 30 and feel like most con-goers are 12-20ish. Hard to find a group of older folks at any con, but Fanime especially.
>>
>>10158609
I’m the op, I turn 28 this year. I’m also slowly turning into the spinster aunt stereotype in lolita fashion.
>>
>>10158621
Eyyy I'm an oldlita. Waving my parasol at kids these days with their Kpop and polyester.

But it's nice to know there's others around my age. Feels weird when you're surrounded by kids half your age at various cons/events. Makes me just want to cosplay in my backyard where only my weird old neighbor will judge me.

I feel like at the gatherings at Fanime have a decent amount of older people. Then they mysteriously vanish.
>>
>>10158609
27. I spent the last few years reveling with a lot of the younger crowd and I sorely regret it. I just want a chill con with chill people.
>>
>>10158717
Same, I just want to hang out and relax. I was on a con hiatus for years, but from 22-25 I would get stuck with a bunch of random kids. Felt like I was babysitting.
>>
>>10158634
I stick out like a sore thumb when I am around other lolitas because they are so young and it makes me feel so out of place. I’m okay with being a lonelita nowadays desu. It would be nice to meet other oldfags though.
>>
>>10158771
Lonelita has always been the way to go for me. But I'm not much of a people person anyway. I get bored sometimes at events, don't dress lolita at cons cause I'm cosplaying, and almost never see any in the wild. The few I have seen outside tend to actually be in their 20's or older. At events everyone seems pretty young.

Could always form the 25+ or Lolitas Who Are Old AF and Tired of Yo Shit Brigade.
>>
>>10158609
I'm 22 but have been attending cons for nearly a decade now and have been cosplaying for just as long. Ngl even though I'm the average con-goer age, I feel super old and jaded because I watched as the cos comm went from fans who painstakingly crafted their costumes to a fight for internet fame. I don't fit in with the Instagram cosplayer crowd that most people who are my age are a part of and yet I'm too young to really fit in with the true oldfag crowd. It's a weird position to be in.
>>
been going since 2008 (15 and 10th grade)
for once this year im sticking with my usual 2 friends but i want to make new friends and meet girls as well. but fuck it all im gonna be staffing and im cosplaying as goro majima. im doing my own shit for once.
>>
Just moved to the west coast, does /cgl/ usually meet up for Fanime?
>>
>>10158868
I started going one year before, but that's still crazy. Its been so long.
>>10159217
Yeah there is normally a meet up. I've never been but I have met a few other people who browse here at con and they're pretty cool
>>
>>10159221
Neat. I’ve met people from /cgl/ canada and they were cool
>>
>>10158609

>>10143389 here. 31. The main reason I've even been going these past few years at all was to spend a weekend with close friends and have an excuse to do weeb shit. Otherwise, the magic is long gone.
>>
FUCK I still haven't gotten a hotel. Do people usually drop out of their reservations by now?
>>
>>10160136

I remember one year where I got pulled from the waitlist about 2 weeks out from Day 1 and put into my preferred hotel. That was definitely an "exception to the rule" kinda thing, though.

I would tell you not to hold your breath if you haven't put in for a room by now, much as I hate to say it. That said, I'd still try to contact housing just for any off-chance that someone might be able to find something for you.
>>
>>10160136
There might be people on the forums giving away extra rooms they have. Good luck anon.
>>
>>10160136
San Jose also has a lot of really nice air bnb nearby the area. Some folks are starting to rent out their places in time for the con.
>>
>>10141195
>using it as an excuse to do molly and drink with strangers

OP i feel attacked

honestly though yes i am an old-ish fag, this will be my 10th year going. My other two friends have been going just as long or longer than me.
Im stoked though because im bringing my bf this year, it will be his first con and his first time cosplaying (we are doing a group thing). I know he's going to love it so im pumped to show him around.
>>
>>10151976
there are food options because san jose is a big city but you will save a lot of money if you bring your own food and limit eating out to once a day or less
>>
15 more days to go!
>>
How's everyone doing? Are you ready for Fanime? I know I'm not!
>>
>>10166616
Definitely not... Honestly I thought I had way more time than I did and now that finals are over I realize that Fanime is in less than two weeks and I still have two cosplays to make. If stuff doesn’t get done it’s nbd, there’s other cons, but damn if this one didn’t sneak up on me while I was buried in last semester schoolwork.
>>
>>10166779
Haha it snuck up on me, too. Been busy with work and now I'm like welp... no fancy cosplay for the ball. Still working on a diff cosplay, but at least I have some older ones to fall back on.
>>
>>10143389
Normie passive?
>>
>>10166616
I wanted to cosplay but had a terrible breakout and now all I want to do is wear a paper bag over my head at the con
>>
>>10166616
I just need to pack my lolita coordinates and some normie clothes and I’m good to go. It does take me a while to figure out what to wear so I don’t end up looking ita af
>>
Anyone down to party or fuck?
>>
>>10167267
I was very close to bailing on Fanime, but I really think (for me personally) cosplaying adds something extra to the experience. I don't want to miss out. I do hope you end up cosplaying, it's always nice to see everyone dressed up. =)

>>10167340
I wish I was good to go! I only have 1 day off until con, it's crunch time!
>>
>>10167361
Either :)
I have a hotel room too
>>
>>10167368
Good luck! I bet you’ll do great!
>>
Second year going, pretty excited, anyone down to fuck or jack off together? I met a couple who let me fuck both of them, but they aren’t going this year unfortunately. Serious offer.
>>
>>10167420
Thanks!
>>
>>10167361
>>10167375
>>10167556
I’m down to fuck too. I’m a dude btw, gonna be in cosplay. What about you ppl?
>>
>>10167644
You got a discord?
>>
>>10168007
Yeah, marvel#4614
>>
gf doesn't want to go to any cons this year but I have the weekend off and nothing to do. I was thinking about putting on some weeb clothes and doing some doordash to pick up some extra cash. Do people that go to fanime tip well?
>>
>>10167361
>>10167375
>>10167644
post pics

>>10168947
I always tip around 15% but I know a lot of people don't bc they're trying to save money for merch, drinks, etc.
>>
>>10168952
This is me.
>>
>>10169167
Are you cute and how tall are you? This will determine whether I bang you or not.
>>
>>10169578
Yeah I’m Asian, 5’9”.
>>
>>10169642
So that's a no on both accounts anon RIP.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the speed dating?
>>
>>10169645
:(
>>
>>10169642
Eh if your face is cute, I’d fuck you. You have nice pecs.
>>
>>10169762
Nice! You can touch my pecs all you want. :3
>>
shitty buff Asian fuckboys stealing pale pawgs from me reeee
>>
No fucking way, the housing is closed now? I thought people would cancel and I'd be able to get one days before. Shit, what's the best option for me now?
>>
>>10169786
Drop a face pic, anon. I wanna touch your pecs.
>>
>>10141195
Ok let's discuss.
Im going on a lean bulk cycle. Yes. Roids. I am 5'5, look like a boy, lean (have definition in torso and chest and back) and I can rock the most anime bowlcut/undercut ever. Give me characters to cosplay as. I have wide shoulders too. Round face but idc
>>
>>10169832
>>10168834
>>
>>10169840
Cheers.
>>
>>10169828
Omg didn’t know my pecs were in high demand. ^_^;
>>
>>10169878
Idk about other anons but guys with noticeable pecs is my fetish so...
>>
>>10169902
Damn looks like I should be doing shirtless cosplays then haha
>>
Cringe
>>
>>10170026
Sorry you can't get laid namefag
>>
its okay, i dont ever get laid at cons either but i still go
>>
>>10170026
Namefags are way more cringe than the faggots trying to hookup with each other
>>
>>10170296
I have a gf.
>>10170311
I’ll beat you up if I see you at Fanime
>>
>>10170067
I have a gf.
>>10170296
I’m sorry that wasn’t meant for you we cool
>>
>>10170342
I’d love to see you try, faggot
>>
>>10170348
Alright nerd a week from now don’t pussy out
>>
>>10170354
Meet me outside of the girl’s bathroom @ 7 pm
>>
File: 20190516_064949.jpg (470 KB, 1440x2510)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
I hope it doesn't rain during Fanime
>>
>>10170369
Wait a sec. Are you a girl girl or are you a girl with a dick because I’m okay with throwing hands with one of those option
>>
>>10170719
pussy
>>
>>10170938
Wouldn’t mind licking my first pussy at this con if a girl is willing for it.
>>
>>10170503
fuck i've been looking at that too. thankfully its clear at the latest update but a week is enough to change once more
>>
>>10170503
>>10170971
I'm surprised that we're getting rain this late in the year. The world is definitely coming to an end.

>>10170953
Post pics or gtfo
>>
>>10170719
A girl girl, so don’t pussy out
>>
>>10167361
Yes, Will smoke you anyone out.
>>
>>10171024
Ite cool, as long as you’re not a trap because traps need to be protected and loved.
>>
I plan on bringing around $200 to pay a trap to be my date for the con
>>
File: 1557764098069.jpg (90 KB, 576x768)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>10171245
The absolute state of this board
>>
I usually go with my high school friends to fanime but literally nobody is going this year so I'm tryna make friends. Anyone want to hang out platonically? Under 22 please since I'm young and wanna stay safe
>>
>>10171119
>men need to be protected and loved
what
>>
>>10171245
discord?
>>
>>10171278
I’m fucking lonely man

>>10171362
post yours
>>
>>10171245
I respect both your honesty and realistic approach. God Speed, anon.
>>
>>10171351
Traps and regular men are two fucking different things. Protect and love traps.
>>
>>10171366
creamy#3849
>>
>>10171370
They are both men tho
>>
It was a joke nigga you gay
>>
>>10171024
Can you beat me up too?
>>
>>10171484
Traps are superior
>>
>>10171560
not unless you pay me first
>>
>>10156524
Hey anon sorry you're going to miss the fashion show, but this year there is also a "trunk show" at 5pm in the Atherton room of the fairmont. They're going to be vending most of the participating brands in the show so you'll probably get to see most of the looks on the rack.
>>
File: 1556346831480.gif (999 KB, 500x267)
999 KB
999 KB GIF
>>10171341
People like this are the reason why I stopped wasting money on going to Fanime.
>>
>>10171706
ehh I just don't trust some of the incelly types who come here and I've never met up with anons before :/
>>
>>10171716
>Asking to hang out with people from this fucking board platonically and with the expectation of safety

I can't even tell what's ironic and what's just stupid anymore
>>
>>10171716
ITT: Dumbass teenagers and Soup getting his ass beat
>>
>>10171679
Nice! Thanks for letting me know about it!
>>
>>10171341
how old are you?
>>
Man, what the fuck are you stupid assholes talking about. Go to more cons. There's TONS of people in the 25-35 age groups that go to a lot of cons in this state. Maybe have more than just one childish interest and you'll meet more adults. Fucking weebs i swear.
>>
>>10171836
I just turned 18 and Jesus Christ I just don't wanna get raped aight
>>
>>10171919
>everyone is out to rape and kill me
back to tumblr
>>
File: 1557604331609.png (14 KB, 529x402)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
I've got a double at the Marriot that some of my pals dropped out of last minute like the FLAKES they are. Thurs-Mon.

Anyone still looking for last minute convenient room for them or their pals? Email me for some DEETS
>>
>>10171750
No one is kicking my ass stfu or I’ll beat you up too
>>
>>10171919
Don't even go to a con, you'll probably wind up at a shitty room party with a bunch of awkward fucks and get raped within an hour
>>
>>10166616
All this rain is fucking up my cosplay building process because I do most of it outside.
>>
File: tenor (12).gif (978 KB, 244x300)
978 KB
978 KB GIF
>>10172193
Okay, but will you care if I wear my baseball team uniform and call you Coach C during?
>>
>>10171919
Fanime is actually a con for rapists. It’d be better if you don’t go.
>>
>>10172193
I’m going to make sure someone films me whooping your ass outside of the girl’s bathroom
>>
>>10172442
>>
File: 8.png (528 KB, 453x807)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
Finally, it's time to break out the good ol' Mega Milk shirt again.
>>
>>10156772
I'd recommend LA Victoria if you like burritos, both in walking distance. Get the orange sauce. Iguanas is good too right next to La Vix!
>>
>>10158609
34 here, I don't quite feel like an oldfag yet, definitely see people older than me hanging out at the con, too.

I'm mostly friends with similar aged people as me, some a little younger, so my perspective might be warped since I mostly hang out with people who are around 30. But I never felt out of place or anything.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.