[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: f52d6018fec591.jpg (185 KB, 564x423)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
People talk a lot about how they wish lolita had better separate events from anime conventions.

What is your ideal? Would you want events like Rufflecon, actual conventions, or would you prefer tea parties like they do in China and Japan?

We have the problem in the US where travel is a lot harder due to its size so that makes it harder for the one day events.

If you could create a perfect large scale lolita event, what would it be?
>>
>>10125750
The best event I've been to so far was Omnia Vanitas. So sad what happened to SFE. I wish I could do something, organise my own events, but you need an entire team for that and Idk anyone capable. The other European events (in Germany, Finland and Italy off the top of my head) are getting bigger every year so at least that's promising.
>>
>>10125752
On the other hand, I found OV to have been completely boring. My fav was probably TPC Regalia. Agreed about SFE, this is what happens when we let retarded people like Karin into our communities
>>
>>10125750
Myths of our own was bloody brilliant, I had a fantastic time. The atmosphere was more friendly than any other lolita event I've been to.
>>
>>10125750
I feel like Rufflecon had it all. Panels, fashion shows, brands small and large, shopping and a tea party.

Can someone give more info on what Omnia Vanitas and Myths of Our Own was like?

I wish the US had events like Street Fashion Europe. I think we should have one that is in a different state each year. Start with East Or West Coast because there's a lot more concentration there. Also it would probably be a general Jfashion or Alt fashion event to be able to pull more people.

Also I hope that brands start showing in NY or LA fashion week. I feel like this will bring lolita closer to the other fashion world and move it further from the weeb world. And while they're there do a real fucking brand tea party Japan/China style. Ours are truly embarrassing.
>>
Could you tell me about the events and what you liked or didn't like? I'm US based so I haven't even heard of these.
>>
>>10125750
DESU I would prefer a small meetup with just a few of the prettiest and best dressed girls, maybe with complementary or themed outfits. But I'd feel bad trying to organize an event like that since I'd have to exclude a few of my dear friends whose aesthetics don't match. Large scale events have too many itas (including overdressed idiots).
>>
>>10125771
I want so badly to do this but I don't even know how to get started. I feel like I would need to have more people to ever start something that ornate.
Not to mention the fact that it would probably need to be a Kickstarter thing, which is intimidating with how many go off the rails.
>>
>>10125771
Don't lolita events pull enough people? RC and SFE events always sold out quickly
>>
>>10125766
This x1000. As someone who attended the event from overseas, I was so impressed. I only wish I could have stayed for the afterparty.
>>
>>10125774
>meetup with just a few of the prettiest and best dressed girls

Too bad you won't be invited to your own meet.
>>
>>10125777
They do but the whole "not enough people" argument is what is always used to justify lolitas at anime cons. So instead of a weeb con I'd much rather attend an alt fashion con.
>>
>>10125784
This is something I worry about though. Would people really travel for a Lolita event in the US?

How big was Rufflecon?
>>
>>10125789
If you haven't been to any big lolita event before why do you want to organise one? Get some experience first
>>
>>10125784
I think it's more likely the other way around. Anime cons have started to cater to other ''geeky'' things instead of just anime because people are less interested in anime now. Understandably so, there isn't as much good anime as even 10 years ago.

>>10125789
People travel for brand events from all over the world
>>
>>10125789
I think older working lolitas will just like they travel to cons. The other alt fashions seem a lot more lazy and will probably have just the locals. That's probably why the East Coast is a better start because there's a lot of small states lumped together where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to travel.
>>
>>10125790
Fair. I am most fantasizing and wanted to talk to other people about it.
I want to get to Paradiso next year and get an idea of what the scene is like. Are there really any other ones left?
>>
Are there any events organised by lolitas (similar to RC and SFE) in Asia, or do they rely on official brand tea-parties organised by the brands themselves?
>>
>>10125789
People from all over the world went to Hellocon for Moitie
>>
>>10125752
>so sad what happened to SFE

Did I miss something? What happened?
>>
>>10125818
Only about three whole threads worth of drama. Go check an archive if you want to know that bad.
>>
>>10125789
I'm traveling for Paradiso.
>>
I’m American (east coast) and would rather fly to Europe for an event than anywhere around here, especially the Midwest. I often fly to Europe for work and pleasure anyway. Any events anons would recommend? I can get by in French and German as well as English.
>>
I’m local to Paradiso and feel extremely lucky for it.
>>
>>10125789
most people traveled to rufflecon from what i noticed. i'm planning on traveling to paradiso next year. i really wish there were more us events though
>>
>>10125934
Obviously traveling to Europe is preferable, but not everyone can afford that. This is like saying hamburgers shouldn’t exist because filet mignon tastes better.
>>
>>10125981
I never understand when people that drop $500 on a dress say that other, frankly more interesting luxury purchases like travel are too expensive. Anyway, it doesn’t cost much more to go to Europe than to the Midwest or west coast from the east coast.
So which European lolita event is best for a visitor?
>>
>>10125983
If you live in the midwest, Europe is at least 1k to visit. Depending which part of the midwest you can fly to the coast for 300. But it also adds up if you are in the middle of nowhere and need connecting flights.
>>
>>10125983
>tfw been to Rufflecon
>tfw you've never spent more than $200 on a dress and your wardrobe is mostly brand.

Some people don't drop everything on dresses, anon. Priorities also exist. One time trip or something I can have for life?
>>
>>10126064
This was my mindset until I started traveling pretty much nonstop a few years ago. (I work freelance.) Of course, it’s even better than I can visit new places in clothes that I love, but I don’t make it a priority if it’s not practical. I can’t tell you what to do but in my case it was seriously worth it to hold off shopping for a while for the sake of seeing the world.
>>
>>10126011
Also, not sure where you’re getting those numbers but unless you need to fly the day you buy your ticket it’s rarely more than $600-700 to go to Paris from Chicago (or like $200 to NYC)
>>
What all do you do at these big lolita conventions? I've always been curious.

My comm (san francisco) has had several bigger (75-100 people) events that are like an extra-fancy tea party + vendors, raffle, and other activities. I enjoy going to those kind of events, and some out of town folks do attend so it's a nice chance to meet new people, but I couldn't ever see myself traveling just for the sake of going to a multi-day lolita convention. Even though I'm pretty into lolita and wear it all the time, I can't imagine what would be so entertaining to fill up an entire weekend just about lolita. If the main draw is the shopping, I think I'd rather just go to japan.
>>
>>10125827
Just did, what a shame. I'd always hoped to go to their events but they really fucked up. I'm sure Träumerei will be great but I still don't understand why they built so much hype for an event they knew would be small.
>>
>>10126102
Obviously it depends where you're from. I'm not from Chicago nor would I fly there. The midwest is huge anon.
>>
>>10126102
Yes, flying from the third largest city in America is cheaper.
We are talking like flyover states.
>>
Eurofags, what’s the best jfashion event to travel to over there?
>>
>>10127440
Probably Hellocon, they've been very consistent with quality and they get great guests.
>>
If someone was to create a new big event, honestly these would be the criteria I would use to decide whether to go:
#1 (most important)
The organizer(s) reputation in the community. I'm not traveling far and risking tons of money for an event planned by a noob. I'd better either know you or know of you. Id also ask my mutual friends to vouch for your planning skills. You'd also need to have made at least some large scale meets for your comm before. It's not that I dislike strangers but I don't want to get trapped in some shitshow where I find out the organizer is some sort of Jon Leigh wannabe.
#2 location
Events in the middle of nowhere are cheap to run but not very attractive
#3 attendees
If my friends are going then I'm 1000 times more likely to go too
#4 guests
I don't really care about models or designers

I just want to hang out with people really
>>
Who in their right mind calls a lolita event "Modern Doll Fest"?
They're going to attract so many weirdos
>>
>>10128105
the floating hands in that art are weird, and that is not how bonnets work on someone's head
>>
>>10125750
I tried to convince myself OV wasn't so bland, but... I've enjoyed TGE so much. There is other in Italy, will try to go
(still no big events in my country, sad)
>>
>>10128133
TGE? What event was that and what was good about it vs Omnia Vanitas?
>>
>>10128105
The event looks good though
>>
>>10125750
What I want? I want a lolita murder mystery dinner. That is what I want.

It could start around noon, at first have vendors selling stuff, a fashion show maybe. A photoshoot. Have time to chill and meet other lolitas and all. At around 5 pm the dinner could start. Full course of food, have time in between for people to investigate the murder(s) in teams. After like 9 pm the murderer could be revealed and groups who guessed right receive prizes. Then there could be an after party for dancing & drinking for those who like that kind of entertainment.
>>
>>10125750
2.5 days long, brand guests, a few high quality vendors like Closetchild and Wunderwelt, brand fashion show, tea party with high quality Chinese teas and very fresh food (sweets, veggies, fruit, finger food that isn't from GFS or Costco), good aesthetic to the location with actual historical or artistic value (no cheap photo corner/ photo set)
>>
>>10128105
I'm gonna remote vend at that. The photos they had from last showed a very well put together Lolita community.
>>
>>10126110
Just look at the schedules
>>
>>10127552
#1 is so dumb. Someone good at being efamous in a niche hobby doesn't necessarily have organising experience. Besides most of the euro girls that organise lolita events, are well-known because they organise events. They were nobodies before then.
>>
>>10127552
You will love Traumerei then

>>10128105
Lolitas all over the world have called their style doll inspired and some are into collecting dolls too. Most big lolita brands have done doll related collabs.
>>
The best event I've been to is hellocon last year! That was awesome.

I know everyone loved attending rufflecon but behind the scenes it was such a mess and I'm glad it's gone. That was such a predatory event
>>
>>10128105
Why would doll attract more weirdos than lolita?
>>
>>10128183
>predatory
Deets?
>>
>>10128105
>cleavage

Y tho?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.