[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 67 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: AA.jpg (86 KB, 500x500)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
last thread: >>10044411

>Please read the FAQ before posting in the thread (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (always WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE
>AA Inspo (thanks anon!)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1D19QV9nHwaY8AaNiEXZAAkEhkBTSsb01?usp=sharing

If anyone else has inspo photos they'd like possibly added to the above link, email the account cgldrawfags@gmail.com

We have a discord!
If you want into the CGL AA discord, email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a picture of your table or merchandise. It is not a jury, just to make sure you do cons.

Happy New Year seagulls!
>>
File: take20note-2f5wpuo.png (26 KB, 300x215)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
Reminder for any gulls using Alibaba printing services from China - Chinese New Year is approaching on 5th February so its best to stay away from ordering from there if you need it asap.
>>
Saw that Tasty Peach studios was recently hiring so went to check them out and was really impressed by how much they've grown. Started looking around more to figure out when they started to evaluate my own business goals, but stumbled on their glass door employee reviews. Yikes. They reply to every single review and they even outed one of the anonymous bad reviews as their former employee who started their "Helping Paw" program. Is anyone else in the next stage of hiring/paying people for your small business? Do you think you'll get to this point?
>>
>>10074435
I really should be hiring someone to help me part time, maybe 20hr/week right now it would really help me grow so i could focus more on the art and not the fufillment/management of stores/customer service but damn i really don't want to lol. The thought of having to onboard someone is a nightmare.

I'll just stick to doing it myself and never getting any bigger...
>>
For someone most familiar with anime conventions who is looking to possibly start selling at furry conventions, what are some important things to know?

From what I've seen it looks like selling actual merch at furry cons requires a dealer's table rather than an AA table. Are there any other big differences or things to keep in mind about furry cons? Should I even bother with much merch or just prioritize commissions? Can you do both at the same table?
>>
>>10074435
jesus christ, what a fucking nightmare it must be to work here
>>
File: file.png (11 KB, 583x79)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>10074514
Went through all of there reviews and their responses are really immature but worded as if to sound professional. It's gross
>>
>>10074435
>Do you think you'll get to this point?

I'm more interested in creating and licensing IPs ala Pusheen/Claire Belton style instead of having a whole warehouse. I would like to hire people to work for me but that's a hell of a long way off.
>>
>>10074486
dealer tables at furry conventions are basically the same as artist alley tables at anime cons. Artist alley tables at furry cons are almost exclusively art commissions.
You'll just need to remember that you have to sell full on furry stuff there. "Neko" stuff that is basically "furry-lite" sells well at anime cons, but not too well at furry cons.
Oh, and be prepared for everyone to actually really care about you. Dealers get treated like royalty at furry cons.
>>
>>10074311
>does anyone know anything about sweetstickers?
I've used them and I like them. They're not a big operation so they're not super fast, and their prices are a little high, but they do low MOQ and the quality is nice. One thing to keep in mind is they print/cut on a roll, so kiss cut sticker sheets come out kind of stretched, particularly bigger sheets. They're better for die cut. I also agree it is frustrating they don't have a list of products and pricing anywhere, though.
>>
>>10074514
>addresses gaslighting within the company
>gaslights

everyone else doesn't think there's abuse going on, therefore nothing is going on or ever was, silly former employees~
>>
Do you guys get all of your art related profit from sales (cons, online store, commissions, etc), or do you also accept donations (patreon, kofi)? If you also take donations, how big a part are they in your profits? Are people who are more likely to donate different than people who are more likely to purchase merch or prints, or are they generally the same crowd? Is there anyone here who only works with donations and not sales? Rough estimates are fine, I'm just curious about the differences between AA/sales and donations, and how they work out for different people. I'd also really love to hear some general experiences with both if you don't care for profit chat.
>>
>>10074435
I'm glad I've had people to warn me about Tasty Peach. She made one of my friends cry at a con just because she didn't hand out enough flyers or something. awful awful awful owner.

I'm not big enough for full time employees but I occasionally have people help me with menial tasks and I happily pay them for it and treat them nicely :P
>>
I'm still new to taking commissions... A friend of 15 years wants to commission me a 36x24 realistic sketch of his friend on canvas, full body. I'm not even sure how much to charge as is, but then there's also the issue of "the friend discount".

He's not asking for a discount, but I feel like I should give him one since he's been like a brother to me all my life and often took care of me when I was sick.
>>
>>10075266
Patreon isn’t a donation service
>>
>>10075501
I charge all my friends when they ask commission from me. If they can't pay, I'm not doing it. I don't work for free.
>>
>>10075266
I don't think people make anything significant from ko-fi unless they have incentives ("donate x amount of ko-fis and I'll draw you a sketch!")

Ko-fi is really meant to be a tip jar for most people and seems to function as so. I have a following about 2k on my main social media and I rarely get ko-fis without advertising them, but it happens.
>>
>>10075266
I've been wondering why your question is bothering me so much and I think it's the insinuation that patreon and kofi don't actually require any work, since you consider them donations. I run a patreon and it's a lot of work, since people who pledge to it are pledging for particular rewards, even if it's just for previews of art or tutorials, etc. You have to keep up with a consistent schedule. It's definitely a different work style than selling physical merch, because you don't have to worry about delivering actual product, which comes with its own set of problems, but people are also much less likely to spend their money if they aren't getting a physical good in return, so you have to work much harder to convince them that you are worth pledging to. It's definitely good to run both and cover your bases, but it's also twice as much work if you don't make an effort to balance it well. This is going to be different with any given person, so I'm not sure what info you think you'll be able to collect here that's useful for you. If you're trying to decide whether to do a patreon or not, but consider it donation/extra or think it's a lot less work than physical merch sales, don't, because it requires actual work for it to be profitable.
>>
>>10075501
At the end of the day whether or not you want to give him a discount is up to you and your relationship with him sounds like a genuine and close one. He seems to respect you as an artist so I believe giving him a discount is fine.
>>
>>10075536
>>10076182
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as implying that patreon etc. would be easy money for less work at all, I'm very aware that it requires a lot of time and thought to maintain and to make it worth. I wasn't exactly sure what word to use to differentiate those types of sites from regular sales at cons or online stores, but it seems that donations is not the one for it, apologies. My question was obviously worded badly, but it's exactly because patreon etc. offer content and rewards to supporters that I was interested in how it feels different from doing purely sales. Ko-fi too, since I've often heard the term "ko-fi commissions" used, and it made me curious why people would use it instead of taking regular commissions, for example.
>>
File: 1496621068214.jpg (157 KB, 640x720)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
So gulls, I got into anime boston! But it's going to be my first convention - I was hoping to get into a couple small cons first just to try it out and gauge my merch, but it seems I'm just going straight to anime boston.

So, how much stuff should I bring to a con that size? My art isn't perfect, but it's certainly not bad at all. Would it be unreasonable to bring 20 - 25 or more of a couple prints I think will sell well, and maybe like 10 -15 of others?
And overall, how much do you think I should put towards producing merch? I was thinking about $500 worth of stuff. That would be 280 large prints, 150 medium prints, and 150 charms. Does that sound okay, or should I go higher or lower? Sorry, I'm unsure what numbers are reasonable. I know the conventional wisdom of "bring like 5 - 10 of each print" but I'm unsure if that applies to large cons..
>>
>>10076236
>how much stuff should I bring to a con
enough to where if you sold it all you'd be happy with your profit and if you were to not sell a single thing, you'd have lost a manageable amount.
>I'm unsure if that applies to large cons
larger cons =/= larger profits.
>>
>>10076236
Anon, you definitely want to go lower if this is your first con and you’ve literally never sold before. A bigger con doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll sell more if your skill isn’t up to par. If I were you, I would do like 5-8 of prints you don’t think will sell as well and 10-15 MAX of prints you think will sell.
>>
can't help but notice zap creatives is constantly in my email inbox with massive sales. are they losing their customer base to vograce and are in desperation mode?? i never see anyone with zap made charms these days desu
>>
>>10076236
go with lower quantities of prints and scope out a reliable and fast printer nearby that you can use to print extras if you need them. There may be a minuteman press in the area, or if you're really desperate I know there's a FedEx office within walking distance. Go ahead and figure out what file formats and procedures your chosen printer has, and set up all of that before the con. That way, if you sell out of something you can pull the trigger on reordering it immediately.
>>
Am I illiterate or is Sakuracon really telling us to mail them a check this year?

I haven't gotten in since they changed to lottery but I've never had a con actually require a mailed check before
>>
>MTAC waitlisted me for the 4th year in a row
I'm beginning to think they don't like me....
>>
Anyone know where to get the star/heart keychain attachments for vograce prices ($.25 each)?
The guy on AANI is kind of a rip off (20 for $10 and $9 shipping???) I've searched Alibaba/Aliexpress/Etsy and can only find them at around $.40 each (no shipping). Was thinking about maybe asking Coco if I'm allowed to buy extra next time I order from Vograce, but not sure if that's possible (has anyone done it before?)
>>
>>10077312
https://m.tb.cn/h.3IAtKQ9?sm=03fff3
hope this helps
>>
Someone is selling HOLOGRAPHIC 11x17s for $5 at ALA. Sell at whatever price point you want but damn I almost feel bad for them
>>
>>10077329
I always wonder if these people think its going to be like walmart and they're gonna make a killing by undercutting everyone. Or if their self esteem is just in the toilet.
>>
>>10077342
If they want to suffer and burn out fast, they can be my guest. Its that dumb Survivor mentality: Outwit, outlast, outplay. It doesn't work well in reality because its not a fake reality tv game show where you eventually run out of competitors. You don't run out of competitors in the real world, you run out of money.
>>
>>10077329
What is the usual price for this? 25?
>>
>>10077988
I usually see holographic prints sell at the same price as their regular counterparts. Maybe a few dollars more if the artist has both types available.
>>
>>10077988
I usually see a $5 difference higher. If they sell regular prints for $15, the holo tend to be $20.
>>
Hi, I went to my first big convention in Detroit called Youmacon and there was a huge artist alley and dealer alley in the same room. I was not really sure what the difference is. How do I know whether the artist I am buying from and supporting is actually doing their own art or if they are just buying and reselling from taobao or aliexpress?
>>
>>10078228
If you want to be absolutely sure, you can check out the lists online and make a personal map of artists you want to check out at the con. Otherwise it can be difficult to tell nowadays since more and more artists are blurring the lines between dealers and AA.
>>
>>10078228
Artists and dealers are still grouped into their own little sections (at least, at the cons I attend). Usually I can tell if they’re an artist if
> I see them open for commissions
> The artwork displayed is more or less consistent
> The display is linear (as opposed to being more squared/deep)
> Subject matter is more ‘specific’ (visible core fandom) vs broad (multiple fandoms of very different genres)
Though when in doubt, you can always just ask.
>>
>>10078228
Artist's Alley always looks physically different from dealer's. Dealers get open space in which to set up that's marked off by floor marks or pipe and drape, while AA is confined to the space on top of and around the perimeter of the tables.
>>
>>10078228
99% of the time it is incredibly obvious which is which. Artists typically sit behind their table and have fanart or original crafts (plushies, shirts, cosplay accessories) which dealers almost always have licensed merchandise like bags with offical art on them and figurines.
Artists sometimes get a dealers table, but they usually sell original artwork on clothing.
Basically, does it look like offical artwork from an anime? Dealer. If not, artist.
>>
I'm curious, what's the largest button you guys sell at con. I normally just sell 2-2.5" buttons. But just went to a con casually and wore a big ol 3.5" button. Is a button that size worth selling?
>>
>>10077062
They asked last year too. I still have no idea why.

>>10078534
I typically sell 1.5" but also started those heart/star buttons that are roughly the same size as the 2.25" rounds.
imo, I think anything bigger than that are specifically centerpieces for shrines and itabags, but most premade rosettes are already the 2.25" size.
I think it's way too clunky for the usual pinning on vest/regular bag/lanyard and the narrow practical usage of it means I personally wouldn't buy it unless the art was VERY nice.
>>
>>10077312
Yeah you can ask Coco for extra keychain attachments, you just have to be super clear about it. I got a bag of 100 basic lobster ones from her for .11 a pop when I was replacing the string versions I had previously on my charms which was infinitely better than what I could find on ebay and otherwise at the time.
>>
I feel like this has been asked before, but how do you all deal with package loss? Once an item is in the hands of the package service, we're no longer liable for it, yet customers still come to me asking for full refunds on lost or "delivered" packages that they didn't receive. The difficulty is that some of these customers are trustworthy and valuable, so I don't want to upset them by sticking tight to my policy, but ultimately I can't afford to replace or refund every order that turns up missing in a foreign postal system or was stolen from someone's porch. Do I just gotta be "mean" and put my foot down? Is there an alternative way I can explain to them since they don't seem to recognize that asking me for a refund is just asking me to take a hit for their sake with nothing benefitting me except the possibility of their future business? I guess it just comes down to, as nice as these people are, they still don't distinguish between me and amazon...
>>
Where do you guys go for your custom ribbons? I'm using Ribbons Galore but it's a bit outdated.
>>
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to get into the furry art comm?
>>
>>10079519
I'd offer to resend the package the missing package. But I'd have the customer do the legwork to contact USPS, contact their neighbours, and make them wait extra time 1-2 weeks to double check if the package turns up. Your markup should be high enough that even if you have to resend again, you're not at a loss. Usually this resolves things for me, and results in very happy customers.

For full refunds, I'm a bit on the fence on this one... especially for international customers. I feel like even if I do a full refund for them as a gesture of good customer service. They might not try ordering again from me in the future, especially if there were issues with shipping to them overseas in the first place... what does everyone else think about this?
>>
>>10079519
I tell them to make sure they gave me the right address and if so contact their neighbor to see if they accidentally got it in their mailbox or porch (which as happened more than once). If they still don't find it, then oh well, sorry. Sometimes I'll offer them a discount for a replacement.
I've had a dozen or two people contact me about not getting their order and I believe only one or two ended up never locating it. Its usually just the package was placed somewhere unusual.
>>
>>10077329
Lmao you make it sound like this was their entire booth but it was literally only one print

Maybe it printed wrong or they have an excess of it and are trying to get rid of it, chill out
>>
>>10079519
I don't do refunds, it's cheaper to send a replacement. If the person's trying to scam me, I'd rather them just get two for the price of one, than get one for free. If the person admits that they used the wrong address or something, I'll also make them pay for the shipping cost. If it got mysteriously lost in the mail, I pay the shipping since I'd rather take the loss than risk getting a bad review.
>>
>>10079532
draw fanart for 'popufurs'
>>
How did ALA go for everyone? Better than last year, I hope?
>>
>>10077328
Thank you so much! Time to learn how to use taobao haha
>>10079103
Oooh thanks for letting me know! I'll add some to my next order :O
>>
I get mine from rakuten but vograce you could always ask them about buying some off them, never hurts to try but I can't say that I have asked to do that.
>>
>>10079811
I did worse compared to last year's. And compared to other shows where tables are $150-300, this was my worst. I think most likely due to my art and display, I was trying something different. The aisles were also narrow so during peak hours when there were too many bodies, people kept moving without really looking. But even during slow times, the majority skipped my table. I assume my table was un-appealing.
>>
>>10079811
Actually down by a few hundred compared to last year but still in the $2k range for pure profit. I'm attributing it to the location change of AA and me personally not having as much stock as last year.
>>
>>10079811
I thought I did worse but after counting my money, I'm up by almost $500. It felt slower overall though - that Thursday definitely didn't need to exist.
>>
What was up with those two tables near the entrance of ALA that were across from each other but were selling the same stuff? I think it was just stickers too. I didn't know we could buy two tables.
>>
>>10074315
Just wanted to say: Thank you Corky for always making these threads. As salty as they can be sometimes, these threads have been a gem in terms of ressources.
>>
>>10080073
They're actually two separate artists. They are rl friends and shared similar ideas and designs. They even used to share tables.
>>
>>10080080
Amen
Thanks to these threads that gave me a good jumping off point in research I actually did the thing I wanted to try for years.

Broke 1k gross for the first time hurray. Time to aim for 1k profits
>>
>>10080080
>As salty as they can be sometimes, these threads have been a gem in terms of resources

You're very welcome anon! I enjoy reading these threads all the time and I tend to find it way more useful than the AANI FB group.

>>10080126
>Broke 1k gross for the first time hurray. Time to aim for 1k profits

congrats anon! Always aim higher, and I wish you the best of luck in 2019!
>>
what does everyone prefer to put in grab/ lucky bags? older merch that hasn’t moved, new shit, or a mix of both?
>>
>>10080201
Adding on to this, thoughts on mixing old but non-defective merch with grade B merch in grab bags?
>>
>>10080201
>what does everyone prefer to put in grab/ lucky bags? older merch that hasn’t moved, new shit, or a mix of both?

I put old merch that isn't selling as well as it did in previous years. People usually seem pretty happy buying lots of mystery items for cheap.

>>10080285
>thoughts on mixing old but non-defective merch with grade B merch in grab bags?
as long as you make it clear that some items will be B grade (maybe have an example of a B grade item to show customers) as well as A grade, people should be fine with it.
>>
How much do magnets usually go for?
>>
>>10080340
i usually see them for around 4-10 dollars but I think it really depends on the size and quality
>>
Does anybody have a good storage solution for carting prints around? I’ve just been using my boxes they arrive in but they break down after a con or two and I’m constantly needing to tape them up. TSA always opens it up too which leaves it more damaged than it needs to be. A more permanent solution would be wonderful.
>>
>>10080485
I use one of those hard sided laptop/document rolling cases but I've only used it as a carry-on so ymmv

>>
Momocon acceptances are going out!
>>
>>10080568
I got in!!
It was in my spam folder! So if anyone else is reading this, check your spam folder!
Now I have to figure out parking and hotel. Any advice on this? Momo is the most expensive con I attend and it isn't my most profitable, so I'd like to save a little money if I can.
Last year I just got a hotel near the con and walked every day to the con and parked my car far away somewhere cheap.
>>
>>10080616
Last year I used this site to reserve my parking: https://gwcc.clickandpark.com/

MomoCon doesn't show as an event yet so wait about a month or so and it should show up. I paid $60 for 4 days in the Georgia World Congress Center (GWCC) red deck.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
>>
Any tips for maintaining/growing a fanbase while having to keep most Extra Effort pieces under wraps for zine stuff? I’m aiming to make an original zine this year, and am not too worried about profits as long as I can break even (it’s more of a personal thing), but would still like to keep my social media going.
I’m a full time student, as well, so I’d appreciate any on keeping engagement up without running myself ragged! For example, are sketches and roughs posted more often better, or a few bigger pieces less often better in the long run?
>>
>>10080616
The MARTA is pretty good too take too Momo and has free daily parking, and some lots have $5/Dy parking
>>
>>10080831
My experience has been more frequent is always better, no matter the quality. Plus people love to see the artists process. Post wips and snippets as you go. It'll also build hype for the project.
>>
2018 AA survey data is out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WDtPkMhZ3ZKNinGzMoRvuZW6TWbfmWm-4x4YH7u6azk/edit#gid=346288018
>>
>>10081108
thank you! I didn't know about that.
>>
Has anyone done cosignment with Toranoana before? How was it?
>>
>>10081184
Oh shit at someone only making $150 at Anime Boston... I wonder why. It scares me since that will only be my third con this year, and that I lack con in my art haha
>>
So stickermule only offers their promotions 1 per person now? Any way to get around that?
>>
>>10081646
I laughed at the person who made $46 at AX and described it as "same as last year".

(I'm sure it's a typo though, or else that would be really sad.)
>>
How do you guys ship your products? Is there any cheap way to ship them plus supply like bubble wrap?
>>
>>10081665
Are these people mistaking gross revenue for profit maybe?
>>
Thanks for the IP Takedowns list based seagulls
>>
>>10081650
You mean besides creating new accounts?

Seriously though seeing how glitchy their website is, I THINK it is possible to use the same promo multiple times per account. I have an idea of how-to but never got around to testing it since i don't make enough stickers that requires cheating the system like that.
>>
>>10081701
I buy padded mailers in bulk for wholesale prices and then print labels directly through paypal. I don't make enough steady income to bother with things like shipstation or whatever, so even if paypal sucks, it's the only payment processing I currently know of that you can print mailing labels directly from it.
>>
>>10081701
I get most of my supplies on amazon.
>>
>>10081701
i get my bubble wrap on papermart, mailers and sticky labels on amazon, and get labels with paypal or etsy
>>
Career AA-ers/AAers who's art makes up a good portion of your income, how are you guys trying to supplement the money now that there's a decrease in conventions that people are actually able to get into? I've done an upwards of 9 cons in a year before but now I'm dwindled down to 3 because of increased competition for tables.
>>
>>10082035
focus more online. cons and etsy use to be 50/50 for me, but then I started making social media accounts/posts and just generally way more focus online, so now I make twice as much online compared to cons.
>>
>>10082035
You too, huh? I'm only getting into half the stuff I apply for this year, when it was closer to 80% last year.

I am also focusing on online orders, and it's working just fine. It's a bummer though, because I really like all the travel involved with the con circuit.
>>
>>10082035
>cries thinking of being able to make a living doing only 9 cons

how do /you/ do it anon? I did 22 cons last year and 30 the year before
>>
Lmao at all these cheap artists heavily abusing stickermule's coupons and spreading word about it. I wonder if stickermule are aware of these orders or don't care.
>>
>>10082117
If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make in an average year from all those cons, just pure profit-wise?
>>
>>10082144
no shit, people will take advantage of loopholes to save money
>>
>>10082117
>I did 22 cons last year and 30 the year before
wut. how?
I can't imagine most of them being very profitable. Unless you are a dealer and leasing your art/merch for other people to sell.
>>
>>10082148
two years ago I did 12k ish in pure profits (I was only full time artist part of the year) and 2018 I did 20k (full time)

My sales per con were good (though not amazing). The main issue is I'm not a print artist and my total comprehensive expenses for last year were ~50k (comprehensive meaning this includes literally everything, food at cons etc)

A tooonnn of the vendors I know who do full time do 24 - 50 cons a year to make it work >:
>>
>>10082035
I usually do 8-10 cons a year but I'm still holding strong with about 4 confirmed and hoping for about 6. I make a lot more on etsy now so i don't feel pressured to take on more cons. Ideally I would only do about 4 of the highest earners and stay home the rest of the year if i could.

When i first started i would do 2-3 cons in a row and now i would rather die. Just doing two in a row makes me want to kill myself, it's just not worth it when one con can net 10k+ there's no reason to kill myself anymore.
>>
>>10082117
I'm actually in the "AAers who's art make up a good portion of your income" category. I don't live off of AA per se (still live with parents) but it was a majority of my income.
>>
>>10082035
Surprisngly, I don't really have this problem? I did 19 cons in 2017 and 21 cons in 2018. This year I have 10 confirmed cons so far and I'm hoping to hit about 15 ~17 or so by the end of the year. Trying to cut down a little on cons because I have a personal project so I purposefully skipped out on applying to a couple.

If a con lets artists in the exhibitor's hall, that might be a way you can still table at cons that you can't get into.
>>
>>10082195
>total comprehensive expenses for last year were ~50k (comprehensive meaning this includes literally everything, food at cons etc)
So that means you are spending $50k just to make 20k profit? Thats kinda bad anon.
I went to 6 cons last year and sold on etsy. total costs for materials, hotel, everything else was $8k. total revenue was $28k. so I also made $20k last year profit. I'm not a print artist either.
>>
>>10081590
imagine working hard and barely making money

japan clout tho amirite
>>
so whos gonna share the stickermule coupon list
>>
>>10082216
I didn't claim it was good, just I know a lot of people in this situation too. I had thought I was doing better over the year but I was going over stuff for taxes and nope >_<

I do have a ton of inventory left still, i think a lot of my problems come from overstocking, but it's difficult to predict what I need to stock.
>>
>>10082144
last April when people were reusing the same coupon and stacking orders, took about 2 months for stickermule to put a stop to that with a new policy "1 coupon per account."

I'm sure soon they'll make it "1 coupon per address" or no more combining coupons.
>>
>>10082195
Oof i was actually thinking you made more. I do less than 10 to 15 cons a year and make about $40k in profit. I hope things improve for you. That's a lot of work for... not much return.
>>
>>10082426
Thanks, I'm still fairly new so I'm not too let down by it, but this year will be a lot of fine tuning to try and get these costs down.
>>
>>10081701
>https://m.tb.cn/h.3IAtKQ9?sm=03fff3
I buy padded envelopes in bulk from The Boxery. They're not fun colors or anything, but they do the job and are cheap. I also buy my tape in packs, usually on Amazon. Shipping-wise, I just print labels out via Paypal using normal paper.
>>
Is anyone interested in just general AA/online store tutorials? I was thinking of making some from my own experiences. Or would it be looked down upon as too much spoonfeeding?
>>
>>10082940
I don't think anyone will complain about info like that. I can add it to the list of our OP links as well.
>>
If customers are buying with Euros or Pounds from my etsy, but shipping to the US does that usually mean that they're getting it proxy shipped or shipped to a relative since I don't offer international shipping?
>>
>>10083160
seems like a stupid thing to even worry about, you getting paid right?
>>
>>10083160
>since I don't offer international shipping
??? why would you not offer international shipping?
>>
>>10083179
Not op but, I used to and after stuff being undeliverable, losing 30$ on shipping fees... and stuff being broken in transit and unable to ship a replacement with out another 22$ in fees it's just not mathematically worth it. I'll ship to neighboring countries that don't have stuff stolen consistently in their mail system, and that's about it.
>>
>>10083211
why not mention you aren't responsible for any damaged products in your policies? I've never had any issues with the 40+ things i've shipped internationally and having worked in a shipping warehouse for a year.... i'll be honest, 99% of things that get damaged are due to the shipper badly packaging the item.
>>
>>10083167
I'm just curious because I'm thinking about whether I should be looking into opening international shipping and how to ship internationally. I'm a small, beginning store so after seeing posts from others like >>10083211
I decided not to offer international shipping atm.
>>10083179
Like >>10083211 said, I'm afraid of that happening to me esp since I'm just starting out (I've only been selling online for about two months). I also don't have much experience shipping items yet. But I guess I'll consider shipping internationally.

Any tips on countries to avoid shipping to and how to package things so they'll reach their destination safely?
>>
>>10083235
shipping internationally is no different at all than shipping locally other than larger/heavy packages need an page of documents printed out and put on the outside of the box. Also longer ship times, of course.
>>
>>10083235
a couple of threads back (unfortunately it's been deleted) someone listed the countries they avoid. I remember it mostly consist of countries in south america. Some countries don't scan the tracking, and so customers can claim packages as lost or never received.
>>
>>10083225
That doesn't stop packages that are undeliverable from eating the original cost. If I spend 30$ to ship it and then I have to cancel the order from being undeliverable, I'm still out 30$ as when you cancel everything is refunded. Unless it has changed. I leave a notice on my shop, if your country isn't listed please pm me to has your country added. I did it twice for peeps. It's just super hard to handle damages. It left the transaction kinda bitter, I can toss the item in for free but you gotta pay 22$ for shipping again. I can just give all my stuff to you anon to ship, we spit 50/50.
>>
>>10083273
MEXICO. The one country I hate shipping to. Fortunately I only get an order from there once in a blue moon.
>>
>>10083338
>and then I have to cancel the order from being undeliverable, I'm still out 30$ as when you cancel everything is refunded.
then don't cancel the order and just refund the item cost. I've had many packages not make it to their destination and get returned to me. I never refund shipping unless it was explicitly my fault.
>>
>>10083273
If that anon could repost that, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm just starting out and probably need to narrow down the countries I ship to from the US.
>>
Not an AAer but I'm getting 3 copies of a charm made through vograce for myself, does coco quoting $3.85 per charm (2.5 inches, double printing/double acrylic) sound about normal?
>>
>>10083449
Well, you are only getting 3 charms.

Vograce prices have gone up in general lately though. This is why I'm treating all my sources as confidential information from now on, screw the dissenters.
>>
>>10083450
Urgh, yeah. And people still try to guilt trip you with "it's for the greater art community~~~why won't you share!!! so selfish!!!!"

Vograce spread like wildfire, though. I had a few customers actually ask me directly, "so is this from Vograce?" (at least they did their research I guess)
>>
>>10075501
Maybe just have him eat you out as payment? Win win
>>
>>10083449
Like the other anons said, it's because of your low MOQ. Maybe jump into a group order and see if that lowers your cost any?
>>
File: apple.png (173 KB, 451x438)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
Does anyone know how to figure out the size for the designs on these types of keychains? all "insert picture" keychains I mean, not just this specific one.

Would just tracing the space and then scanning it work? I have a really great idea for using this but I can't figure out how I'd size the artwork properly to fit in it.
>>
>>10082940
I'm interested!
>>
>>10083722
Do you have the actual keychain on you? The keychain is transparent so I would just literally put the keychain into a scanner and scan. By doing that you get the exact measurement and template.
>>
I feel like a legitimate idiot for asking this but how does everyone attach their buttons to corkboards? Every time I try I feel like I’m maiming the pinback to get it to stick in there.
>>
>>10083930
I just shove it in there. No need to shove it hard enough to maim the pinback though.
>>
Anime Next AA applications are up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd690P477D6OrlFqjYM5_FYkXoUSqLnRpjqOOTO1II38zwSxQ/viewform

Costs $175 & includes a badge this year
>>
>>10084007
>10ft x 10ft booth

Eh?
>>
File: 61KBDvZVymL._SX425_.jpg (16 KB, 425x425)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I've been doing AAs for about 6 years now. Winter time is usually my break but now its gearing up to be con season again. I already have a few booked but I'm really just... dreading going. Anyone else lose their motivation for cons? Anything I can do to reinvigorate myself? Besides thinking of the money lol
>>
>>10084148
Hmm sounds like you need a break after this. But maybe hanging out with friends or making plans with other con friends for those conventions would be help? Anything in particular that you're dreading? Interacting with customers, setting up, drawing more stock, etc?
>>
>>10079525
Mayarts ribbons/May Arts Ribbons? My workplace orders their ribbons in bulk but I don't know how customized you're looking for...
>>
Has anyone ever signed up for the Chicagozinefest? Do they give you email confirmation of your placement upon payment?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.