[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.




A recent post got me thinking about cosplayers who make a habit of cheating in masquerades or craftsmanship contests, especially since some contests have cash prizes attached now. Let's get a list going of cosplayers to be wary of, and any interesting stories you have about contest cheating. This can include:

>Claiming you made a mass-produced cosplay
>Claiming you made a commissioned cosplay
>Lying about how a part of a cosplay was made, or if it was made at all
>Repeated sandbagging (aka entering multiple contests with a cosplay that already won a more prestigious contest)
>Sandbagging the same convention with the same cosplay
>>
File: patreon.jpg (113 KB, 540x495)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>10029987
OP image is PaperToadette, multi-time cheater in New England. Most recently stirred up a shitstorm after her obviously China factory 2B dress won best master's craftsmanship at a small-medium sized con. When people started pointing fingers about it on the con's page, she doubled down by:

>Claiming the whole thing was a witchhunt brought on by an ex-friend
>Claiming that China stole product images from HER and that's why they look so similar
>Claiming she had no progress photos because she just never took them
>Posting a free "tutorial" to her Patreon page as proof that she hand-sewed the embroidery herself. The template she posted didn't match the dress's embroidery and was stolen from an Etsy seller's page, which she claimed to be ignorant of after said seller demanded she take it down and stop posting it for free.

Sadly, the con did not take away her award and it just ended up damaging their reputation.
>>
I said this in the other thread too but some cheaters will go through huge efforts to fool judges. They'll bring in tons of progress photos and talk in detail about how outfit was made, even though it was commissioned. However I only see this level of effort when good prizes are involved.
>>
File: GoShiina_04.jpg (387 KB, 1280x852)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
Guy who won the Tales of Ambassador contest in 2015 cheated (white coat in the middle). He's actually a huge trainwreck so lemme summarize:

> didn't make his costume, his friend's mom did
> he's never made a costume in his life
> applique is made of foam so he can't wash the costume
> continues to wear the untreated costume for the next 3 years, he has no others
> won the competition but doesn't have a valid visa, so he couldn't even travel around Europe to represent the company. Visa was a requirement of entering.
> proceeds to creep on any Asian girl, but only the Japanese, pretends he's Japanese and thinks he's best buds with Raika (I wish I was joking)
> emotionally abused and manipulated his friends because they aren't Japanese or worshipping his cosplay
> plans to enter ECG because he's "a professional cosplayer" now
>>
>>10029990
in the case of bought costumes, the judges should easily be able to tell when something is mass produced, so really the judge's fault for this one
>>
>>10030221
Bought doesn't necessarily mean mass produced. You can commission a hand made costume and that's still buying one.
>>
Pretty sure Angi Viper either paid off or fucked the judges for LA Comic Con because there is no way in hell that Christmas Elsa should have won best Master. Putting lights and a smoke machine on a costume (where they don't even make much sense) does not make it a winner, especially when the competition is stiff.
>>
Did anyone find out something about the last thread where we talked about the FF summoner cosplay? I was very interested in it and researched a lot to find stuff lmao. Thread got deleted just a while ago I see
>>
Not really cheating, but morally wrong. A gal went to really small cons (1k~ attendance) just to win entry-level competitions. She herself had been cosplaying for years and her competors were like 14y/o with their first costumes. For some reason she never went to bigger ones, maybe she was afraid of losing.
>>
>>10030366
I did that once, expecting the level to be better. Man I felt bad.
>>
>>10030366
Me too, but the competition at the same con the previous year had been much stiffer. So I brought out the big guns with a big new cosplay the next year, but the con had dwindled and the competition was much less.

Interestingly, the cosplayer who had actually won the previous year tried to compete again in essentially the same cosplay. Thankfully the staff didn't allow her in the contest.
>>
Honestly this is 100% the con/judges fault, I've judged at conventions big and small and YOU CAN TELL when something is factory. If the con picked non-craftsman cosplayers, or even worse voice actors, then it's their fault for not catching it.
>>
>>10030439
Like >>10030227 and >>10029993 said, the big scandals usually involve someone trying to pass a commissioned cosplay off as their own work. The only way you can tell a cosplayer is cheating with a commissioned item is if they can't answer construction questions about how they made it, or if one part of the cosplay was obviously made by someone else. As a judge I'm sure you've seen this before.
>>
>>10029987
Oh god why are her titties halfway down her torso tho.
>>
>>10029997
Jesus. What's his cosplay name? I want to look more into this trainwreck
>>
>>10030608
Found his twitter and IG! He's a chinese guy pretending to be Japanese. Every costume he's done (which is like 4 in 4 years) was made by someone else. Never done a single cosplay himself and never washes them either.

hilariously he's tweeting thesabi/irabu still despite her being one of the people who originally called him out for his bullshit treatment of his friends.

Complete weeaboo scumbag and a cancer to the cosplay scene

https://twitter.com/koyoyodd
https://www.instagram.com/koyodidi/
>>
>>10030671
Bless you, anon. I hope he never comes to a Tales convention here in North America.
>>
>>10030693
He wouldn't. He's too much of a weeaboo he works 3 jobs just to throw money at idol games and perv on Japanese cosplayers. I think you're safe.

Seriously surprised this creeper has never been mentioned before because he's absolutely vile.
>>
>>10030705
Probably because he's not prominent in the western cosplay community
>>
>>10030717
True, he's a eurofag. Can't wait to see him enter ECG with a costume made by his aunt <3
>>
I was judging at a con a couple of months ago, a guy entered with a costume that he had bought off my friend I was attending with. They weren't friends, had bought it from eBay. But was claiming to have made it from scratch (but had just repainted it). Lied when I called him out. Ended up having to put a lot of effort into getting him disqualified because the organisers are fucking idiots and can't organise anything. Were like "oh maybe it's just a similar costume, surely someone wouldn't lie in a contest?!"
>>
>>10029990
What con was this at? I know the op pic was at ctcon but she didnt compete there. Im surprised that this happened; the judges in the NE area are very experienced and ive worked with a good chunk of them at various cons also judging, so them being fooled so easily is questionable to me.
>>
>>10030671
Wew that is one ugly muhfugga
>>
>>10031075
Another Anime Convention's hall contest last year. She tried to cheat in the 2016 masquerade too but got caught, probably because it has stricter judging.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/cgl/thread/9622725/#q9666532
>>
>>10029990
I knew her, for a while, she's one of the most manipulate people I have ever met.
>always complain about money issues, yet starts multiple gofundme accounts
>complain about her mother being abusive
>she has a band of beta orbiters, who literally will defend her, from any accusation, one even doxxed a person who she didn't like
>whenever she is accused of something, she will cry and blame "much autism did this"
I finally stopped following awhile back, when one of her followers was trying to find the location of some judge in a upcoming con, also how I found it kind of creepy that she call her bf "the boyfriend unit"
>>
File: DrbXCnvUUAArfWc.jpg (56 KB, 669x1000)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>10030352
No, but I'm curious about what happened with this too.

Cosplayer is Kyoko__Hana, she's been posting "progress" to multiple outlets because she'll be competing at Fanfest with this Summoner Artifact 3 armor from Final Fantasy XIV. It's obvious it's in the process of being commissioned because she lives in Maine while all of the progress photos involve European household objects (a bag with text in Polish, European style light switches, a cutting mat that only has millimeter increments, etc). OP of an earlier thread was trying to locate the Polish commissioner based off of https://imgur.com/a/9Nu8c6X in order to report her before the contest.
>>
>>10029997
Yeah this guy is a douche. Desperate for recognition with minimal effort.
>>
>>10030221
If I remember correctly the people who judged the contest she was in were separate from those who judged the actual masquerade contest. It's becoming a trend to have "big name" people judge who have no way to tell their ass from their elbows and use their instagram count to vouch for them when they have no actual skill or knowledge.
>>
Surprised that nobody has mentioned DokiDoki yet
>>
>>10031812
I did some more digging on the guy and found out some interesting shit from one of the judges. Considering Namco sponsors ECG this is pretty shocking.

Apparently the whole contest was rigged from the start. They were not allowed to choose any German or French contestant because those countries had won before and they wanted to "represent the whole of Europe". Except most of the entrants were actually Germans. In addition to that, they were asked to choose a male representative because of complaints about only picking girls. There were only 2 make entries and the one was German so by default, before the contest even began, he automatically won. Even though he'd lied about making his costume, lied about his visa and exploited his friends to get there. He wasn't even registered for the contest, he just forced his way as a back up when of of girls who did apply wasn't able to make it.

On top of that, after he won he went about harassing the ECG contestants backstage (because the winner gets to join the ecg contestants for the award). I was speaking to one of the solo finalists that year on Twitter about it and she mentioned him trying to get her phone number because she liked Love Live, getting extremely close to her and then shit talking her to her friends in front of her face when she rejected him. When they were up on the stage he purposely stamped on her dress and pushed her out of the way to get to the front because Raika was a judge and he wanted to impress her. She was in tears after the show and he made a snide remark on social media that she was "salty over not winning"


It doesn't end there either, he frequently shit talks even his closest friends in private and tries to big up his own ego constantly. He's a total narcissist and toxic asshole
>>
>>10031850
? spill then
>>
>>10031850
Hi kirigiri nice to see you here shit posting :)

Why don’t we talk about the fact that two major cosplayers are now banned from metro for changing the results of winners and referring to contestants as “fat” and “ugly” in their notes yet they still compete and try to save their shitty careers
>>
Doki doki literally (badly) photoshopped a reference picture because she was too lazy to paint some fucking boots with liquitex instead of putting millions of lights and other embellishments on her cosplay. She got DQ'ed. She also entered the costume in ANOTHER contest where she modified the cosplay to add more shit onto it, but still did not paint the boots to match the reference picture. She entered that cosplay into 3 contests without fixing it in the slightest. She also almost never credits her 3d print jobs, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>10032024
Seriously,
No one
Fucking
Cares
At least she made her cosplay which can be said more than most people who enter these contests. Do you even make your own Cosplay’s anon?
>>
>>10032038
yea I do, and I don't cheat when I make them, Doki Doki l o l
Just try to get better with costumes and things and try to shed good light onto your name because everyone knows that you cheated. And that's not really okay, but instead of coming on cgl and getting mad when people bring it up, maybe you shouldn't have cheated in the first place and continued to try and fix your cosplay. You could actually be doing good stuff but you continue to do mediocre work and think putting lights in it will fix it.
And obviously ppl care because your name keeps coming up on these threads. ppl should definitely be alerted to cheaters.

But have fun continuing to place well in your "master's class." :)
>>
>>10032053
As do you have fun in the masters class reina hope your not expecting on winning anything soon, and I can’t undo the past but I can better the future, as should you do and grow up and stop being such a child and shit posting on 4chan. You wanna shit post? Say it to my face don’t just awkwardly avoid me at a con
>>
>>10032090
I really want you to do better, I hope your cosplays improve heavily and you are better in the future. I don't know who Reina is because I'm not her and you have me pegged as someone else in your head, but you have potential to do really good stuff. I get disappointed watching you because I know you can do better. You shouldn't get upset at people being upset about your wrong doings, you should ignore it and try to move forward. It's a really bad look to argue with anons on 4chan. There are people out there who really want to see you succeed, and looking for negativity isn't how you do that. I hope that you slow down in your creative process and improve greatly in turn.

Best of wishes moving forward.
>>
>dokidoki
>reina
>kirigiri

All these basic bitch, common cosplay names that make it impossible to find anything on google.
>>
>>10032016
>>10032038
>>10032090
>when you expose yourself this badly
god, this is why you shouldn’t post while butthurt
>>
>>10029987
How do you tell if one competition is more prestigious than another? I’m not sure how to weigh con size against prestige of their competition, especially when it’s often hard to find pictures of a previous year’s competitors (except for maybe the winners, if the con puts up photos).

Is there a list of competitions that are considered significant if you win something vs ones that aren’t judged fairly or by knowledgeable judges? Asking seriously.
>>
>All this florida cosplay drama

Aren't you guys still hungover from Iwai? Quit vendettafagging.
Anyway, to be on topic, there was an Iron Man cosplayer who won with a commissioned suit? Dude got banned from competing at Supercon or something like that, but I don't remember the details exactly.
>>
>>10032917
I would say prestige is based on three things. 1. The Prize. If it's a big cash prize, it's more prestigious. 2. Is it an international qualifier/final? If so, it's automatically going to be more prestigious. 3. The people that usually enter. What is the quality of previous years like? High quality competitors attract each other
>>
>>10032982
Florida cosplayers crave drama. Because it's the only thing good going for them.

Shit, I think the girl's cosplay name is Airomae or some shit, I know for a fact that all of her shit is purchased. At least when I knew her. Saw her giving up on armor and shit all the time because it was too hard.
>>
>>10032982
You may be thinking of the guy who got caught competing with a commissioned Carbon Fiber Genji at Animate Florida last year, who was subsequently banned from all their shows including Supercon. It was also found that he had competed with a commissioned costume that same year at Supercon. He also owns a Diablo costume that he posted progress pictures of as if he made it, even though that was a commission too.

And he treats his commissioners like shit. Gave this one commissioner a bunch of crap becuase a Majin Buu suit was too uncomfortable or something like that, somehow ended up getting a partial refund.
>>
>>10032917

Size of the convention or the quality of the masquerade is also something to take into account. However people usually don't split hairs like this with sandbagging... entering two equally known contests even if one is technically bigger is still a dick move, especially if they are in the same area. IMO there are only a few acceptable ways to mult-enter:

>Jump from a local con (couple thousand people or less) to a regional one that people travel to (Acen, Katsucon, etc)
>Jump from a local or regional con to a circuit qualifier or a nationally known contest (NYCC, C2E2, etc)
>Don't win a "best X" prize at any con, and then re-enter at any con that allows for re-entry, other than the one you lost at

As an example of what not to do: Jedimanda is one of the more well-known sandbaggers who technically doesn't break any rules but has earned a reputation in the midwest for entering her cosplays at as many contests as she can. The fact that her cosplays are extremely well made exaserbates the problem because she usually ends up shutting out the competition which has made a lot of people bitter (aka entering her Amidala at Star Wars Celebration, Acen, and Gencon or entering Anastasia at both C2E2 which is about as top tier as you can get and Dragoncon). It's allowed and it's not cheating, but it rubs people the wrong way.
>>
>>10030514
>Oh god why are her titties halfway down her torso tho.


I feel bad for chicks who don't know about good bras. Like people don't want t get personal so no one tells them.
>>
>>10033197
Okay. I won something that was not a major award at a large con whose competition was panned as “not legitimate” here (as well as among friends of mine) due to the judges being personalities with a lot of fb likes and who are not well known for their craftsmanship.

I improved the cosplay and entered at another con in a different region that was technically smaller but allegedly has a more legitimate panel of judges. I asked the con if it was against the rules to enter something that had already won and they said it wasn’t. I was bumped up a class and given another award for it as best of that class. Neither of the awards I won were cash awards. I got a certificate for both.

I don’t plan on making a habit of doing that and feel a bit weird about it, but since everyone was saying the first contest wasn’t a real contest, I just wanted to make sure I entered it somewhere I would be judged fairly. I have a degree of imposter syndrome and it’s hard for me to believe in my skills when people say a win wasn’t based on skill.

I’m not entering this cosplay anywhere else and feel a bit like I fucked up already by entering it twice. I feel bad enough about it that I might just quietly bow out of entering competitions with anything in the future.
>>
>>10033251
If you improved on it and entered at a higher level, I'd say you did it fairly. You pushed yourself to do better and so the costume you entered technically wasn't the same one anymore. Like you said, you're not trying to make a habit of it, just be proud of yourself for improving, and now go for something even more of a challenge next time!
>>
>>10029997
>can’t wash cosplay with foam parts
Ok this is BS, just get a portable garment steamer for like $25 at Walmart, dry cleans your cosplay and removes wrinkles. Tired of people not knowing this.
>>
>>10033311
Thanks, that makes me feel better about it. I know what I did wasn’t against the rules at the competition but I don’t want to be generating bad vibes in the community, either, if I can help it. I try to choose projects based on techniques I want to learn, so hopefully in another couple of years, I’ll have left my present self in the dust, craftsmanship-wise.
>>
>>10033251
The fact that you didn't win a major award by itself makes it fine, and the fact that you improved on it makes it extra fine. If you'd gotten best master or best in show, that'd be another story unless you made some massive overhauls, but it's acceptable to re-enter something that did not win at ANY previous sized con (and desu as a judge I'd encourage re-entering if the previous con's judging was questionable). The "classic" case of sandbagging is when someone takes the same costume around to a ton of local conventions and gathers up first place at each of them, or when they break the contest rules where no previous winners are allowed. What you did is normal and none of the above, and you shouldn't feel bad about wanting to improve and enter a legitimate contest.
>>
>>10030366
Sounds very similar to a girl in my area who now sells nudes of her half baked cosplay on patreon. She parades around like some cosplay making master but her quality never seems to improve beyond spraypaint and hastily glueing fabric together. She attends any small con locally either to enter contests to beat beginners or begs staff to be a judge or guest at the cons. Most of these small cons are really marketed towards children so it’s really in bad taste to me that she promotes her lewd patreon at them. For a little while now her cosplays have started to improve at a ridiculously quick pace and now I’m sure she’s just buying them factory made and passing them off as her own craftsmanship to these small town con staff who don’t actually know anything about cosplay let alone how to thread a needle.

Been thinking of getting more serious into cosplay but I hold back because I don’t want to be judged or judged alongside her. Especially if she’s cheating now and uses con staff favoritism to win 99% of the time.
>>
File: pastebin.jpg (561 KB, 1030x1022)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>10031753
>>10030352

In a surprise twist, Kyoko__Hana withdrew from the contest, called herself out on cheating, and posted a genuine apology. I'm actually kind of impressed. There's always the question of if she'd done this if sleuth-anon hadn't started publicly asking questions, but this is the first time I've ever seen a (potential) cheater turn such a complete 180. Good on her.
>>
>>10035489
Nice self post
>>
>>10033324
No dude it's glued together with school glue, the same as a prit stick, any water or heat is gonna peel it off. You don't realize how bad this costume is.
>>
>>10035543
I'm one of the anons who was trying to find her commissioner.
>>
>>10033324
Uh... Dry cleaning isn’t the same as steaming clothes. Are you confused?
>>
>>10033197
Based on the fact you use the term sandbagging you at least know the World Costuming standards and terms because its at BEST poor form to do that (and imho every damn high tier contest needs to have a rule you get 3 entries and if it wins one high level (ie masters or above) it is display only and retired.
>>
>>10035489
Honestly even if she hadn't come clean and still entered it's not like the Fanfest judges were following their own rules. The Kefka who entered, placed top 20, and WON 2nd place had his wife make the costume and they disclosed it to the judges, meaning it should have been instantly disqualified. There were so many other more deserving costumes that should have made the top 20 who got robbed because SE staff decided to turn the other way in favour of fan pandering. It's honestly really discouraging.
>>
>>10039356
Was his wife present at the judging though? Most cons will allow someone else to wear the costume so long as the creator is actually present and gets the credit. That's pretty normal, but if she wasn't there then that's another story.
>>
>>10039356
I'm entering in Fan Festa (another SE con) and I fully expect a well known Asian girl in the community to win even if in the pics she's posted of her cosplay the details are highly inaccurate and she didn't iron anything before constructing it. She's a fine person but a beginner cosplayer who has no business winning contests, but because she's known in the community and Asian I'm sure she'll be picked.They favored her in New York last year despite other better cosplayers being there so I'm just entering because of my love for who I'm cosplaying as at this point.
>>
>>10039452
She was but the rules explicitly stated that the person entering had to make most of the costume. The way they announced the entries was by character name and world so there would be no way to give credit to another person on stage.
>>
>>10029990
Don't forget that the rest of the "tutorial" is for a dress shaped completely differently than the one she's wearing. She doesn't even know how to sew well enough to know how to make that dress, much less to have actually made it.
>>
>>10033327
You will get there, definitely! Just keep pushing yourself! :) I believe in you!
>>
Can cosplayers in comissioned cosplays enter contests in it if the contest does not specify that it has to be something you crafted?
>>
What about cosplayers who are judging on cons and gives the prices to their friends?
>>
>>10039783
Eh, sometimes it's unavoidable if the con/community is small enough that most people know each other. As long as the judges aren't showing blatant favoritism and giving awards to costumes that obviously don't deserve it it's fine, imo.
>>
>>10039688
It's generally frowned upon. I've had a commission customer ask me if they can enter my piece under my name though, and as I was present at the con, I agreed and we won something together. But doing something other than a runway/strut your stuff show where it's not for a prize, that is taking the effort and claiming it as your own.
>>
>>10029997
Damn, Go Shiina is so hot and /fa/ as fuck
>>
A high-end (wcs, eurocos) , highly experienced cosplayer I know enters all contests, including the ones intended for noobs. It's not cheating but it's really unfair.
>>
>>10029987

Sorry to go off topic only slightly here, but this guy's a personal lolcow. Basically started up a cosplay help group on Meetup and then proceeded to use everybody that showed up to make this cosplay in some shape or form. He essentially tried to sabotage my cosplay (at the time I didn't know how to sew, but learned damn quick and made an incredible cosplay for my first made one) by telling me he found the exact pattern of the complex costume by pulling some of his super rich guy strings, then wouldn't show me the pattern, or update me, and then eventually ghosted me when he thought. I couldn't make anything for HIS cosplay. He sucked up to and stalked hollywood professionals on Instagram so they'd make things for him -- he carved a basic shape out of foam for the arm and then let somebody do almost all of the detailing, couldn't sew his own simple as fuck coat, made somebody make his hat/prosthetics and do his makeup for him, and is an absolute bitch on top of that. I know he's taken this costume to PAX and all sorts including Kumoricon, but I'm not sure if he competed. I wouldn't doubt it, he's a cocky as fuck little gremlin that also loves to be sassy gay Waluigi which he's surprisingly proud of somehow.
>>
>>10039688

when in doubt, email the coordinator. I've judged at competitions where bought/commissioned costumes were allowed for the performance part, but weren't eligible for category or BiS wins. as long as you're not trying to pass off something as yours, usually there's options
>>
>>10029987
That's not even a good 2B costume though. She's missing the headband and the skirt looks to be sewn into the top/leotard. Sleeves don't poof right and the boots and thigh highs are wrong. Not to mention how sad those tits look in it. It's called boob tape honey. Judges were clearly friends if she fucking even placed in that mess.

I think way back (like 12ish years ago) on here, there was that chick who won a contest with that pink Black Butler dress from Fan+Friend. We hounded the convention site and emailed them and spammed her DA saying she was a cheater with a bought dress. She got banned from competing in all her local cons.
>>
Anons I need some advice on this:
> am competing at large regional con
> judge for another con says I have a good shot at placing there
>also agreed to compete at an official convention two weeks later
>is like Blizzcon or Fanfest, but smaller
>worried it would be sandbagging if I entered after winning at regional con
> is it sandbagging if I compete at a con with smaller atendance, but much higher visibility/prestige?
>>
>>10040172
Sandbagging is shitty and this is why a good judge should simply say "you are too good"
>>
>>10043358
I think you're fine since the second con is more well-known. Sandbagging isn't just about pure attendance numbers because you can have a more prestigious contest at a smaller con.
Also, the cons are so close together that you basically have to commit to the second one before you know if you won at the first one.

I.M.O. it takes some really blatant or serial entering before people take notice, since sandbagging is so subject to the situation.
>>
>>10033412
>sells nudes of her half baked cosplay on patreon
Link?
>>
>>10043391
>the cons are so close together that you basically have to commit to the second one before you know if you won at the first one.
(other anon) I signed up for two competitions in the same month too, with the same costume, but I asked to switch costumes after I won the first one. That would be the decent way to go about it, and I would have withdrawn from the second contest if they didn't allow me to switch.
>>
Wait I'm dumb so I'm still confused, is it still sandbagging if you place at a small con then enter the same costume into a more prestigious contest or is it only when you place at a big contest then enter same level or lower contests? Because I want to go into competing but I'm slow as fuck so I don't think I can manage more than one competition-worthy costume a year
>>
>>10044097
It's sandbagging if you already won a big contest and continue to enter at the same level or at a lower level. In that case you can already be certain of a win, since the competition will obviously below the skill level of your costume. You don't have this when entering a competition that's more prestigious than the one you already placed for. I hope this explanation helps a little
>>
>>10039688
I'm not from the USA and I've never seen a local contest that required that you crafted everything yourself.

Unfortunately, here you can't take part on the cosplay parade without entering the contest, so many cosplayers join just for it, despite have no interest in competing at all.
>>
>>10044097
If you change your costume a bit it's tolerable from small to big (for example make the costume more detailed or get better wig), for big to small it's sandbagging
>>
>>10044399
>>10044436
thx
>>
I have a "friend" who entered me as a walk on in a masquerade at a big convention this past year . I didn't know until she told me she signed me up. I was so embarrassed. She expected me to wear HER own cosplay that was way too big and flooded me, on stage, just to walk with her so she didn't have to be alone. She also made me a pair of shoes that didn't fit right. I don't know how to explain it, but the shoe itself was bent side ways, like the mold didn't form correctly. She really expected me to wear her own cosplay and shoe's that didn't fit correctly. I didn't end up going on as a walk on, and told the judges the truth. They were happy I was honest with them, but my friend was still able to complete. Keep in mind, I don't compete because I don't think my sewing skills are all that good. That' and I just don't have any interest. I'm a panelist and like to hang with my friends, stuff like that. I don't care about competing. Needless to say, her and I aren't friends anymore.
>>
>>10045161
That sucks, at least the judges were understanding. But some friend she is for not even warning you in advance, forget asking for your permission
>>
>>10030390
Same. I felt awful.
>>
>>10029987
I remember seeing an FB status by one of my more con-involved friends ranting about some cosplayer that won something but clearly had bought it from ezcosplay. Didn't ask for more tea since she seemed really upset
>>
>>10029987
it doesn't even look good
>>
>>10048125
That's what happens when they get judges who have clout but no knowledge of cosplay craftsmanship. Yeah random actor will get fans in attendance but if he can't tell the difference between a homemade and a mass-produced costume he's got no business judging a competition
>>
>>10048314

as a judge, my favorite thing is grilling would-be cheaters and watching them stumble over nonsense answers. you'd think people would bother to look up how their commissioner did things so they can answer, but no, people are so lazy.
>>
>>10029987
What are you gonna do if I cheat? Be mad? LMAO
>>
>>10029987
Do people even take cosplay contests seriously? The best cosplayers never seem to enter them in the first place. Especially since for most cons, its like a ~10 hour commitment waiting to get judged, practice runs, etc.
It seems that a lot of the good cosplayers will skip all that hassle and would rather spend the time showing off in public rather than to the measly 100 people who end up at the masquerade/contest
>>
>>10029987
Me on the left
>>
>>10048406
Some people enjoy it, and the ones who do take them seriously. Depending on what con you go to there can be serious prizes involved too (trips to Japan or several thousand dollars are becoming more common).
>>
>>10048396
>"What are you gonna do if I cheat?"
>Posts Toad from Paper Mario

Hi, Papertoadette, what's up? You know everyone in New England knows you bought your costume, right?
>>
>>10048406
I stopped entering cosplay contests because the amount of work I put into the cosplay didn’t pay off in return to what? 3 mins stage time I front of like a small % of the attendees? You spend 6-8 hours in a room waiting for your time to talk to judges and have them inspect every seam you have sewn just to second guess yourself. Not to mention you’re missing out on the con most of the day. There’s soo many people who you’re missing and panels you’re missing. It’s just not worth it.

Plus the people who actually like your cosplay and appreciate your work are other attendees that usually don’t go to the masquerade. Those are the people I like to interact with at a con and make the hard work worth it. Not a chance at a 1k check that would recover maybe the cost it took in fabric, and notions. I do it for the interaction with other fans. Not to be told I MIGHT have done a good job by someone who may or may not know what I’m cosplaying.
>>
>>10048518
>>10048406
This thread is about contest cheaters, not whether entering contests is worth it. You're being defensive about something that isn't being discussed.

Has anyone notices cheaters trying to discredit contests after they've been caught?
>>
>>10048628
I’m >>10048518 and I stopped entering contests because people cheat at them all the damned time. It’s impossible to get credit for your work when someone is using someone else’s work and claiming it was theirs for the prestige boost. If you think saying leaving contests is defensive then I don’t know what to tell you buddy because a lot of quality cosplay craters have stopped entering their own cosplays because of the saturation of cheating. You get no one recognizing your work because you spend all day waiting to be judged while you could be out getting the recognition you really desire. But instead you are stuck in a room with 80+ Commissioned cosplays that are being passed off as made by the cosplayer themselves. It’s not a uncommon thing in the competition part of conventions any more. It’s happening a lot since cosplay has gotten pretty mainstream at this point.

Point is, cosplayers who actually put dedication and time stopped entering competitions because of cheaters saturating the completion that it’s more rewarding to simply not be a apart of the competition part any more so you’re not associated with that garbage.
>>
>>10048628
There's a girl in my local community who did this.

>Talks up a big game about entering the contest at our local convention. Posts "how stressed" she is crunching on this costume and how nervous she is to perform for her fans on stage
>Whines on local FB group when she doesn't win. Boohoos about how hard she worked and how the judges didn't look closely enough at all the effort she made.
>"Uh maybe you didn't win because you bought half the cosplay from localcosplayer and only made the accessories/props".
>Goes ballistic, claims "they just look similar because it's the same show".
>Friends rush to her defense, "how dare you accuse localthief of not making her own cosplay".
>Others dogpiles her, post side by sides.
>Two weeks later makes a big post on her cosplay page about how she is boycotting local convention's contest because the judging is biased and it's not worth her precious time when her fans want to see more of her.
>>
>>10048659
Curious as to where you're located. I judge a lot of USA cons and while I normally see at least one cheater per contest of 30-50 entries (the normal size here rather than 80 entries), it's nowhere NEAR the 80% you say.
>>
>>10048668
Yeah I don't doubt there's cheaters but it's really not so prevalent that more than 10% of people cheat if that. There's assholes everywhere but the majority of people are not that blatantly dishonest.
>>
I remember reading a weaboo horror story greentext where a girl invited some fat chick and her orbiter to a con. The op made a Zelda cosplay that she intended to use for the masquerade.
She found out that the fat chick stole her cosplay. When op managed to get it back, she learns that the fat chick tried to enter the masquerade with her costume. She also found out that the fat chick pretty much broke the cosplay because she was too fat to fit in and tore apart some stitching.
I can't find the greentext but that constitute as cheating imo on the weaboo's end
>>
File: 1440461820239.png (161 KB, 1837x1380)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>10048790
I know what green text you're talking about (the legend of Elsa, one of my favorites). T.B.H. it's funny how with telling the story changes from the thief as a hot girl to the thief as a fattychan who broke the cosplay.
>>
>>10048815
After rereading it I think I mixed 2 horror stories together. The fatty cosplayer breaking the cosplay was another story.
IIRC it was one where op made a dress for a ball room dance event. On the day of the ball, the fatty stole the dress and ran off in the Con and was nowhere to be seen (I forgot where she was, it was either panel, video game room or a costume contest). When op found the fatty and got her dress back, the dress was broken and op couldn't attend the ball room event. Kinda sad story
>>
>>10048815
Holy shit.
>>
If your cosplay has won second place at a tiny con’s cosplay contest (there was no prejudging) would it still be ok to enter in the exhibition category or do a skit?
>>
And does anyone have advice on how to prove that you made the cosplay? I’m going to make a cosplay for the very first time and I want to enter for fun and I’ve never done prejudging before. I’m both excited and nervous
>>
>>10050430
Best thing is to bring your reference and progress photos with you to prejudging. The more you know about how you made your costume the less likely it is that people will assume you bought it.
>>
>>10050430
Document all steps of the progress, especially the fitting, or try to throw in a few photos with you in them! One giveaway I see is when cosplayers' reference photos either include absolutely no fittings or human beings, or when the references begin halfway through the process (ie with painting but no construction). Aside from this, just answer questions the judges ask and you'll be fine. Photos are mostly just used to confirm or deny judges' suspicions if a cosplayer seems shady - having no photos doesn't mean you get disqualified, but they're great to have because they also show parts of your process that may not be obvious.
>>
Thanks~ the cosplay I’m making is simple. A school uniform with a sailor collar. Thought I’d do that since I’m seeing for the first time!
>>
I've seen a couple cases where people thought it's ok to join with a second hand/commissioned cosplay they didn't do themselves, aslong as it was 'handmade' hahahahah. God damn.

>>10050429
Sure, if the next con is larger than the con you won at.
>>
Photoshoped armor she even admit she photoshoped it and won a contest. Also she claim to be judge in her local cons and she never makes her costumes
>>
>>10050929
Name and shame, anon.

That is so ridiculously shooped
>>
>>10050933
not that anon, but fahr sindram. shes an absolute nutjob, there's a whole lolow thread for her
>>
>>10050929
Was it an online contest? I guess it wouldn't really matter that it's shooped if the judges saw the armor irl
>>
>>10050929
Aaah, good old Fahr
>>
>>10051200
I just went through their lolcow thread, had no idea they were so much of a mess
>>
I’m reading a lot of this thread and in all honesty I’m not scared to be like “hey I bought this but I’m here to make people smile not to win.” Like I enter contests because I HAVE FUN. I do skits cuz they’re so much fun to do. The smiles of the audience mean more to me than Best in Show or a Judge’s Award.
>>
>>10052665
In that case you should either enter the exhibition category, or ask the coordinator ahead of time. If the contest has rules about making the costume and you enter anyway it's inconsiderate to bump other eligible contestants out of that slot since you're disqualified. If you're entering a contest, you need to abide by the rules or ask special permission.

Some performance-heavy contests let you enter bought cosplays, so that would be fine.
>>
>>10052665
>>10052698
the con I judge for has "performance only" slots where they allow bought costumes and are only eligible for certain prizes, but it's a good option for people who just want to preform
>>
>>10052726
Yeah if the rules allow for it, then go for it. I think it's common to allow bought costumes when the con offers separate skit prizes.

On the flip side, I've judged contests where all slots were taken with a wait list, and we had to disqualify multiple people who did not follow the rules, be it entering bought costumes or entering western material when the rules require Japanese.
>>
>>10048518

>Small third world country
>First cosplay con
>Full body armor with lights and a show of a presentation wins first place
>Female cosplayers dress as a mix of male and female characters, and do a nice presentatio for the most part
>Fast forward a year or two later
>The judges are two very stereotypical soibois, a feminist academician in her 50s, an attention whore, and a normal-looking girl
>Armors get btfo'd
>Women cosplayers dressed as men get btfo'd
>First places go to minimum effort, skimpy-dressed female cosplayers whose presentation was essentially a catwalk pass in slow motion
>Fast forward to now
>Contestants no longer put effort in their cosplays because it won't matter
>A large number of them are women in make up showing as much meat as possible
>A cheating international cosplayer chick comes every other year to crush the bush league or as a guest of honour to judge

I've never entered a contest and yet I'm fucking fuming. At some point I was so pissed that a cosplayer's hard (and quality) work went unrecognized that I went and praised her to cheer her up. Meanwhile a reverse trap Link with a bought costume and barely any knowledge of the character won first place.
>>
>>10040172
>high-end
>eurocos
>>
>>10053162
That sucks, thankfully my local con has some really high quality competition but for some reason they still let some random chick with a bought Zero suit, no wig and an excruciatingly long walk-on of a performance on stage last year and I'm still bitter about it. Plus they had a guest host who's a TV personality, knows absolutely nothing about cosplay and couldn't be more obviously uninterested in anything going on except for the shitty app he was there to promote. I felt so sorry for the competitors who put actual effort into their costumes, they were fantastic and deserved a better show
>>
>>10039783
That happened at a small con I go to. A cosplay guest/contest judge gave an award to his wife even though the costume was badly made, inaccurate, and there were several contestants that did a lot better. I think he helped make her prop too, which was even more insulting. The guy had the balls to say he'd like to be a guest again. Staff blacklisted him after that year, thankfully.
>>
>>10053289

I blame the staff for that. Any good masq/costume coordinator should get the list of winners from the judges BEFORE they're announced, to avoid shit like that.
>>
>>10048465
Lmao a bitch is pressedt, girl stop
>>
>>10053495
Well, now it's no fun anymore. If you're going to pretend to be Papertoadette at least make an effort to sound like her.
>>
>>10033251
You made changes, you asked the judges and disclosed (and yes while we are in current year and can easily see sandbagging you did a good job) and you were bummped up a class to make up for the fact your skills were better. That isn't sandbagging because you were upfront.
>>
>>10053498
>believe that she comes here
No, she still thinks 4chan is "le secret nazi hacker website"
Also I looked her up and she's now part of AB's cosplay staff, which leaves a bad taste, I wonder how many times she had to suck off the guy who dresses as alucard every year
>>
>>10053526
Good.We don’t need any more normies
>>
>>10053492
I think that was before they hired a cosplay coordinator. They learned their lesson though.
>>
This thread got me thinking. What are your thoughts on halloween costume contest. Is it still considered sandbagging or is it a completely thing on it's own?
My local community has cosplayers boasting that they tour the city for costume contest and if they can, look for those where they can guarantee winning a prize. It does completely remove the element of fun in my opinion
>>
>>10055761
I mean if you enter a contest wearing something you got from Party City you kinda did this to yourself.If you don’t want highly skilled tailors to compete then make one for beginners and one for more experienced “””people””” (I put quotes around people because fuck cosplayers and fuck lolita)
>>
>>10055761
Eh, it's whatever. I wouldn't do it but I don't really care, they'll get what, free beer and a chick-fil-a gift card? It's not like they're even guaranteed to win, it's judged by drunk randos, if you have a really nice armor but some guy's cardboard costume is funnier he'll win over your Best Journeyman ass anyway, so why bother spending your whole evening going from shitty contest to shitty contest instead of hanging out with your friends and doing something actually fun?
>>
>>10055761
Being a cosplayer by no means guarantees a prize win. Normies give no shits about craftsmanship and well made costumes, just what's either most impressive, funniest, or most popular. If your cosplay happens to be one or all of these, then maybe you're a shoe in, but for the most part what wins at cons is not wins at Halloween contests.
>>
In Netherlands we have Shoobie Cosplay, we know she buys costumes from AliExpress and enters competitions so she's going to international competitions where people don't know her lol she entered the Spanish ECG selection since she was born there
>>
A contest I was in recently got sandbagged. Only a small con, but totally unfair what happened, couple entered a costume they had previously won first place with at a much larger con and had gone on (with different costumes mind) to win first place in the finals of that same contest with judges including Yaya Han and Kamui. Pisses me off when cosplayers do this, like, get in your fucking lane. I wish the U.K. would take on board divisions like US and Canadian cons. Our competitive scene is a joke in that respect.
>>
>>10059471
You mean Corvidae Cosplay Emporium winning at Doki Doki after they won in those costumes at Birmingham FCC?

You're expecting a event run in a sports hall to do divisions? Doki Doki barely have enough people attending to fill a bus let alone have a good enough prize budget. If they did divisions everyone would be a winner because they have so few entries.
>>
>>10059534
Not necessarily, It’s more the morale behind it. If you’re good enough to win the finals of LFCC and be judged by some of the biggest names in western cosplay, it might not be seen in the best light to enter small town contests and sandbag out the compition when you’re like, Euro Cosplay level.
>>
>>10044399
I too am still a bit confused.
If a contest allows you to enter costumes that have won other contests (different cons), is that still sandbagging? Or is it impossible to determine without knowing the "size" and demographic of the cons?

>>10039688
In my local cons, its a requirement written for pretty much all of them that "Approximately 80% of the costume be made by the person entering the competition".
But it does very much depend on the con/contest itself
>>
File: darkvoidcosplay.png (436 KB, 501x740)
436 KB
436 KB PNG
Anyone have some deets to spill on Guardianfrosty? They deleted their Instagram and Kofi pages (as well as their fanpage I guess), and quietly started posting under the name Darkvoidcosplay. Does this have to do with their recent cheating spree?

This is a typical mediocre cosplayer who wants to be locally famous and does stuff like make their own fanpages. Over the summer they suddenly started posting gorgeous progress photos of a Hiccup cosplay with descriptions about how hard they were working on it. They won a small contest and then tried to enter Boston Comic Con in the novice category. They didn't win anything, probably because they secretly commissioned it from Piece of Cake Cosplay. They even posted a photo of a huge binder of progress that they took to judging, but you can see the same progress pictures on Piece of Cake Cosplay's website.

I've been waiting to see if anyone called them on their cheating, but they suddenly locked everything down instead.
>>
>>10059829

Considering who was judging Boston Comic Con, they probably got caught, especially for a costume like that in Novice.
>>
>>10029993
When there's money to made people will do anything. eSports are the same way. Just don't bother with money competition of any kind. It brings out the worst in people.
>>
>>10060170
It's kinda ridiculous though, comparing the cost of a great commission with the prize money it's not worth it at all
>>
>>10055906
based anti-gull poster
>>
>>10035489
TL;DR I cheated and try to save face by saying I was busy and cheating is bad m'kay
>>
>>10048666

Name and shame? Sounds similiar to a cosplayer a lot of friends and I might know of.
>>
Carter, aka @gradualphase, literally bought most of their cosplay for sabos contest. Won best craftsmanship AND was sandbagging because they competed at the lowest lewel after already winning before. Like I know the Leon Chiro drama was annoying and all, but this is ridiculous. 0 sewing was done on this, the only work they put in was glue to put the flowers on.
>>
>>10032038
>no one cares
But a lot of people do, retard
Quit jewing us out of contests
>>
>>10067586
so do you guys just not ask for WIP shots at craftsmanship constests or are they just retarded?
>>
>>10067648
its not required at sabo prejudging
>>
>>10067728
Then why enter?
If a competition doesn't have pre-judging then it's rigged 90% of the time.
>>
>>10067586

I don't want to derail the thread, but can I get a link to the tea on Leon? I have heard positive things about him so I'm curious.
>>
>>10067863

Leon is an ass who touches girls when he's drunk.
>>
>>10067863
Literally a fit manlet that treats everyone sub 30k follows as an object or a groupie
>>
>>10067830
There’s prejudging; it sucks though; and arizona cons don’t have many other contest opportunities bc most az people go to cali or texas cons for contests.



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.