[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1_R1TDkrWvVAfFqa1P0dEjzw.jpg (149 KB, 1080x1080)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
I'm about to start a coding Bootcamp in Los Angeles. It's that easy boys have fun being poor the rest of your life
>>
god speed. Im learning JS now and all other essential skills to do a bootcamp at the end of it
>>
Funny this thread aligns with what I'm doing. I'm self-teaching myself Python and thinking of taking some Python applied to Finance classes on Udemy, OR some bootcamp. Are bootcamps worth it for job offers?

Or should I just self teach with Udemy, etc and then make a bunch of nice relevant projects to my job apps on github?
>>
>>49929577
Nice anon, I took some classes first too
>>
>>49929612
>bootcamps worth it for job offers
I know two people who went through bootcamps and they both got jobs. Milage may vary though. We're veterans so we didn't pay for them
>>
>>49929770
>Milage may vary though. We're veterans so we didn't pay for them
So they got the bootcamps for free because of some veteran benefits program?
Were these two people relatively smart and hard working? I got an A in my logic classes in undegrad and have been working on computers all my life as a zoomer. I just need to learn to fucking code finally.
>>
I'm about to do a boot licking
>>
>>49929505
>>49929577
>>49929612
>>49929730
>>49929770
>>49929802

How do I short the tech job market?
>>
>>49929845
You're way too fucking late for that lol
>>
>>49929802
Bootcamps attract a lot of veterans since the va vet tec program came out. They pay your tuition and small living stipend while you're training
That and a bootcamp is like 10-20k
>>
>>49929505
Market is already saturated with junior devs. Learning to code is a meme
>>
>>49929802
Yeah it's "Vet Tech" program. One was mediocre intelligence but a hard worker the other was smart but a shit worker party boy. Party boy already had a degree so think he was more used to classroom instruction.
>>
Your services will no longer be needed

https://github.com/features/copilot/
>>
If I want to get involved with finance as a new non-CS or non-finance major, is Python the best language to learn and build projects on Github with?
>>
$104k in LA? Will you be renting or what? Sounds like shit
>>
Average is 69k in LA? How is housing so expensive there then?
>>
>>49930096
>renting or what
Do you think people buy a house for a course that's a couple months?
>>
>>49930119
Because rich people own the houses, most people probably rent
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (70 KB, 900x900)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>49929505
Would one of these be worth it for someone who just wants to get good enough at coding to know how to make video games?

Don't care about getting a job, I just want to actually be able to make cool shit.
>>
>>49930169
>brags about the ((potential)) to make $104k after completing a program he haven’t started yet
>still won’t have enough money for a house
>tells others to have fun being poor
I hope you get the point
>>
>>49930384
>Thinks I'm required to live in California after the course
Thanks for the bump
>>
>>49930384
Also have fun being poor
>>
>>49930253
Hey, it's only 2.5k/mo with 5 roommates!
>>49930311
You can do this for free. cs50
>>
>>49930449
Yes, I'm aware but I have no idea what the duck I'm doing and those YouTube tutorials are all outdated anyways and I can't ask questions to the uploaders because they are usually on dead channels
>>
>>49929505
Very nice
Now let's see the cost of living in LA
>>
>>49929577
front-end in general is for brainlets, go full stack
>>
>>49929505
Make sure it's a legit bootcamp before you hand over $15-$20k. Look up their alumni on Linkedin and review their Githubs. Make sure they have actual jobs and they don't just list their shitty open source projects. Some bootcamps have pretty good outcomes (Codesmith, Hack Reactor), but many if not most are scams and you'd be better off just self-teaching. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>49930540
Do you think im required to live the res of my life in LA after?
>>
>>49929505
Reminder: $100k in LA is equivalent to $60k in flyover land.

t. Born and raised local
>>
File: 1655981316847.gif (1.99 MB, 200x243)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
Bump
>>
>>49929947
What market isn’t saturated?
>>
>>49931660
Software is still incredibly unsaturated. Law is an example of a field where supply of lawyers greatly exceeds the demand.

Software is the opposite. The demand for software engineers/devs greatly exceeds the outstanding supply, because literally our whole fucking world is transitioning to relying on this tech
>>
>>49931604
How many months did you self-study before the bootcamp?
>>
>>49932753
a couple classes, nothing crazy
>>
>>49931604
>Hack Reactor
Im completing my degree in a few months under it and currently work a dead end job. should i do a bootcamp? how the fuck are you planning on asking 140k after this bootcamp with 0 experience? i have experience but its all shitty call center customer service jobs
>>
>>49929505
>average
>vs median

wtf
>>
>>49929947
>reactivate premium
lmfao this nigga paid for indeed premium, ngmi
>>
File: 1641512192641.jpg (11 KB, 255x230)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>49929505
Got my JS skills to a sufficient level, built a small project with HTML CSS and vanilla JS and going to start a full stack bootcamp in a week.
Good luck fren
>>
>>49934389
From everything I've read, you likely won't get a job right out of a bootcamp. You'll probably spend about three to nine months looking for work, sending out potentially hundreds of applications. This is usually the case for people with no relevant experience unless you are a coding savant. That's not to say it is impossible to find a job sooner than that, but most bootcamps will paint a rosier picture than reality because they want your money. Some offer career services that can polish your resume and improve your networking, though. All this is to say that a bootcamp in and of itself won't guarantee you a job. You're going to need to actually put in the effort to make interesting projects and develop your skills. That is what's going to attract employers more than the name of your bootcamp and your previous work as a call center employee.
>>
>>49929505
Housing in LA cost $100,000 you're not making money you paying money to stay in LA as a slave.

>>49930427
You're not better off anywhere else either, coding isn't the most high paying job like you think. The only reason the claim of $100,000 exist is because that is how much veterans coders earn, not noobs like you who misplace ; or capital letters.
>>
>>49932487
They gotta be good though. Even most employed devs do not pass our interview.
>>
>>49934678
Hell yeah brother
>>49935053
I have a high level security clearance which completely changes the game
>>
>>49929505
people actually live on 69k a year in LA? Is not the interest on a property 50k a year alone? How does that work?
>>
>>49930477
- game engines
- asset creation and integration
- game logic

think about what you want to make, go look at what game engines are out there to use and see what matches your use case. your real knowledge as a game dev is less about programming (though it is important) and more about utilizing your chosen engine (because at this point you are not going to be making your own). pick and engine and learn it, become familiar with its documentation (tutorials should only be a quick supplement, but you'll need to get used to figuring things out yourself). download some free assets from the plethora of websites that host them. then work on implementing some level of game logic using those assets in that game engine. start with very simple and small projects, here are some good examples:

- get some character/asset to move in a direction corresponding with W/A/S/D
- get that character to jump
- create an entity that chases that character
- make it so that when that entity touches the character, the character dies/the game is reset

this pretty much gets you through the loop of [start project -> load assets -> designate assets -> apply logic to assets] which is going to be your bread and butter, after you're done with this you'll know what you want to do next.

remember, tinker around with the engine, tinker around with the menus, try and solve something yourself before you refer to external material.

as for the programming of game logic, start simple, read through the code carefully and try to make out what is doing what, supplement your game dev with some simple programming challenges in whatever language your engine uses.

most importantly, understand that your effort now compounds with your effort later. a lazy start means a lazy finish (if you finish at all)

be conscientious: gl hf
>>
>>49935400
just live with your abuelita y siete tios homie
>>
what should i learn if i wanna get into defi?
>>
>>49935626
Solidity
>>
>>49935458
Very based and underrated answer on this shit board.
Thanks Anon I hope more people read this.
>>
>>49929505
KEK such an obvious bubble in tech jobs. I'm a senior SWE I'm trying to retire ASAP. Not trying to compete with all the zoomers turned out of bootcamps and AI
>>
>>49929505
youre too late. we are at peak demand right now.
>>
>>49936048
so what? you have to have some sort of career and software/webdev isn't going to go away even if it stops being as ridiculous as it is now
it will just become another good job and it will be a good job because coding alone filters a majority of people never mind actually designing entire systems
>>
Don't listen to the filthy fucking neets ITT there is still huge money in coding
>>
>>49936048
>>49935953
People were saying this after the dotcom crash in the early 2000s, and people still need software developers/engineers
>>
>>49929947

100 of those applicants are jeets who lie on their resume and if you bother to interview them they'll show up with exactly zero answers. source: i'm a hiring manager. the white english as a first language pool is probably 10% of that applicant pool
>>
>>49936121
>>49936327
fair enough. good luck. learn backend, frontend is cancer and you have to be a people person while also getting talked down to by real devs.
>>
>>49929505
They use average for the techie but average for the household income.
why
>>
>>49929505

Was thinking of taking a shot at self-teaching myself Web Development and applying for some jobs, but I'm black and trans, and it's such a thoroughly white male industry that even if I was the best applicant for a job, they'd pass me over.
>>
>>49932487
>>49936362
SWE is incredibly over saturated at the entry level especially for people just learning to code now. It’s literally too late unless you have been coding since you were like 12. There are millions of people doing learn to code meme and much less job openings and most of the job openings are for bullshit positions that are in the process of being rug pulled.
>>
>>49930384
104$k will afford a kings lifestyle in Cudahy,CA >>49930427
>>49930706
>>
>>49930311
You don't even need to know how to code to make a video game nowadays.
If you really just want to make games just download one of the popular engines and start your first game.
>>
How good is a salary of $169k for rural Texas?
>>
>>49938482
define rural. Some places are saturated as fuck because of remote work. 169k is pretty great for most of TX though.
>>
File: IMG_20220623_221527.png (368 KB, 844x1022)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>49937280
they would pass, but you never will
>>
>coding bootcamp

anon, its a waste of money
just do the free one online

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.