[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: tanahashi_1_courtesy_njpw.jpg (1.1 MB, 4000x2225)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
Now that the dust has settled, what was 2018's MOTY?
>>
your least favorite match
>>
>>5900442
No it was the second best match of the year, The Best Bout Machine vs Ocarder was the best
>>
HHH HBK vs Carder and Kane
AM I FUNNY YET PLEASE GIVE ME ATTENTION xD
>>
>Kenny vs Okada
>Tanahashi vs Kota
>Tanahashi vs Okada 1
>>
>>5900442
Golden Lovers vs Tana and Ospreay was based as fuck.
>>
>>5900442
Personally?
Okada/Omega Dominion.

I know it's the meme answer you're probably expecting, but it was that good.
Only other match all year that made me that excited was Pentagon Vs. Callihan at Slammiversary.

There were lots of good technical wrestling matches, but sometimes it's not all about the PURE WRASTLING, sometimes it's about everything else that surrounds it.
>>
>>5900442
Kenny vs Ishii
Tanahashi vs Minoru
>>
File: C8-KssvUQAEbPST.jpg (168 KB, 1200x750)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega (NJPW, 6/9).
>>
>>5900460
this is also my top 3, in that order
>>
>>5900442
My top 3:
Tana v Ibushi
Jericho v Omega
Suzuki v Goto
>>
>>5900442
It’s a rare year where the obvious meme answer that reddit, /wooo/, wrestlingforum and /asp/ all post is actually the correct answer.

Kenny vs Okada 4 is one of the best matches ever, so it’s obviously the MOTY 2018
>>
Okada vs Omega or Ishii vs Omega.
>>
WALTER vs PCO or Gargano vs Almas, I go back and forth.
>>
>>5900500
Suzuki vs Goto is very underrated. I give it 5 stars as did Domelord L. Check out his GOAT list of 2018
here >>5899892
>>
>>5900526
>Namefags sucking each other's dicks
Yikes and filterpilled.
>>
>>5900442
You posted it.
>>
ITT: IMAGINE THE SMELL FROM THESE NECKBEARDS AND THEIR OUTLAW MATCHES
>>
Okada vs Omega 4
>>
>>5900456
This but unironically
>>
>>5900512
Thing is... they were both AMAZING matches, in any other year they would literally be 2 of the best matches in any year of wrestling...
They just so happened to happen on the same year as when wrestling exploded again.
>>
>>5900549
Correct.
>>
>>5900442
The bucks vs the golden lovers
>>
>>5900442
ACE vs Ibushi
Hiromu vs Ishimori
Ishii vs Ibushi

Would be my top 3.
>>
>>5900508
/asp/ is pretty contrarian though
>>
>>5900512
I don't get why people unironically prefer Gargano vs Almas to Gargano vs Ciampa.
>>
>>5900579
I can't give MOTY to Omega/Okada 4 because I don't think it was better than 1 and 2. Otherwise I probably would.
>>
>>5900442
It's Okada vs Omega easy. Leaving that out I'd say for me personally it's Tanahashi vs Ibushi G1 Finals.
>>
It's BEST MATCH ISHII vs Kenniii for me
>>
>>5900607
The story for Gargano Ciampa became very cringe for me personally, and as far as a straight wrestling match Almas just connected with me much better. The only Ciampa Gargano match that is close is probably the first though. That was a perfect place to just end the feud until down the road.
>>
>>5900637
That's the one I meant. The other ones didn't compare but there was amazing storytelling in their original fight since the break up.

Their match in the cruiserweight classic is criminally underrated as well
>>
>Okada/Omega 4
The only good match was the first one.

MOTY was Tanahashi vs. Ibushi.
>>
File: 1530905334063.jpg (117 KB, 678x1024)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
yes
>>
>>5900654
4 is the only one I thought was on par with or arguably even better than the first, and I loved the others.
>>
>>5900654
Tana/Ibushi was every other big Tanahashi match.
Seen one, seen them all.
I guess you could be impressed if you're new to his work.
>>
>>5900654
Imagine being this baseless.
Penis shekelsberg ya self mi amigo, capeesh?
>>
>>5900606
>WrestlingForum having the best taste in that image
There's no excuse.
>>
>>5900673
>carder
Nah
>>
>>5900668
That's underselling just how much passion the crowd had for it. Maybe you don't like how Tana works but I thought he put on masterclass shit even as physically limited as he is now. Ibushi is obviously extremely talented as well and they combined to make probably the most memorable G1 final if the last few years for me.
>>
Okada/Omega Dominion
Hiromu/Ishimori BOSJ
Tana/Ibushi G1
Okada/Tana, whichever, they're all great
Omega/Ishii G1
>>
>>5900668
What made Tana/Ibushi great was it was also a great Ibushi match. It's different seeing Tana work that story but with someone wrestling Ibushi's modern hyper athletic style. It's a match that only those two could possibly have.
>>
>>5900637
The second was a weaker match with a garbage ending and the third was an outright bad match with a garbage ending. But the first one was pretty great.
>>
>>5900683
The G1 Tana Okada might have been my fave. It was frantic and that closing stretch was dimes.
>>
Flair/Lynch No DQ Evolution
>>
>>5900668
>Omega/Okada was every other big Omega match.
Yeah, it really was. A long boring movez knee spamming show with poor psychology with "deep" callbacks that had no dramatic effect.

He peaked in pic related, but the first Okada match was still okay. Every match he had after that was the same match, adding 2 more v-triggers everytime. Overrated.
>>
>>5900442
unironically Aldis vs CAWdy 1 and 2
>>
>>5900692
There's two great psychouts near the end of that one. In their Dontaku match, Okada grabs Tana's trunks, pulls him back and hits the Rainmaker. And throughout the G1, Okada's been absolutely killing people with the Spinning Rainmaker to set up the Rainmaker.

You might expect Tanahashi to slip out of one of those. But the way he got around both to avoid the Rainmaker and force the draw was great.
>>
>>5900668
>>5900703
Congratulations, you've truly stymied me. I don't know which of you is a bigger dunce.
>>
>>5900703
>>Omega/Okada was every other big Omega match.
>Yeah, it really was
Yep. That's why it won Tokyo Sports Best Bout.
>>
This year I'm choosing my favourite match out of matches I watched live in person;

WALTER vs Mark Davis at Defiant Fight or Flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z942pVVzcGQ

It may not be much to watch on youtube and you can shitpost away, but this was a match I was not in any way bothered about before the show, and I have seen people driven through tables from ladders, thumbtacks and lighttubes this year, but the best and loudest HOLY SHIT chant I have ever heard was from WALTER chopping Davis one time in the corner. It was fucking mental and worthy of at least one person giving it a mention.
>>
>>5900442
Almas vs gargano at takeover philly
>>
>>5900724
Hiromu dragon lee was the best match I saw live all year, it's too bad it got overshadowed by hiromu breaking his neck
>>
Okada Tanahashi G1
Hiromu Ishimori BOSJ
The power gap after this is huge.
>>
Lesnar vs Bryan

2017's best match was Lesnar vs AJ as well

Based Lesnar is worth every penny WWE pays him
>>
Brock Lesnar v Daniel Bryan
>>
>>5900915
ACE vs Ibushi was as good as either, or better.
>>
>okada vs omega

lmao you guys really are complete fucking drones aren't you? There was nothing special about that match if you had seen any of their previous matches together

/wwe/ used to be above parroting meltzer but wow has this place fallen
>>
File: allin (1).jpg (52 KB, 800x529)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>5900704
Came to post this. Good shit.
>>
Elimination Chamber
great storyline in this match
>>
>>5900984
It was the culmination of the feud that made it so great. It's my favorite match of all time, but if one had not watched each of the matches as they had happened, then I could understand how it would not leave nearly as much as an impact. And while I think Omega is one of the best wrestlers today, I'm not a fanboy of his as he is a mark and I usually find myself cheering against him.
>>
Goto vs. Suzuki

>>5900554
WWE crowds are full of disgusting subhumans and NJPW have so many QT Azns

>>5900720
>fallacy ad populous

kill yourself FAGua
>>
whats with all this weebshit?
>>
>>5901216
WWE is >>>/trash/
>>
>>5901216
anime & videogame fags
>>
Didn't end up watching Dominion cause I didn't wanna see Kenny win,
So for me Hiromu vs Ishimori
>>
>>5900704
>>5901020
Cody please stop posting here man we're tired of it
>>
>>5901216
Post your favorite Corbin or Ziggler match then. Nobodies stopping you hotshot
>>
ibushi vs tanahashi is the contrarian choice for fags who hate omega and don’t want to admit omega vs okada 4 is the MOTY
>>
>>5901796
I watched it to support Aldis & NWA homie.
>>
>>5901821
What makes Omega vs Okada better? Because it's longer?
>>
>>5901821
Ibushi vs Tanahashi had comparable stakes, was in front of an equally hot crowd in a bigger building, similarly had years of build behind it and a similarly high level of storytelling and workrate.

It's really a judgment call, dude. You could also say Hiromu vs. Ishimori is the MOTY too. All three of them are absolutely incredible matches with stakes they make you believe in. There's really no wrong answer.
>>
El Desperado vs Dragon Lee @ BOSJr
>>
Roman Reigns vs Bobbly Lashley
>>
>>5900703
people will think you're trolling but i actually agree with this, when i watched Omega Okada 4 I was disappointed and thought that their other matches were better.
>>
I don't have one. Nothing in 2018 wowed me. I guess bork and Bryan was ok
>>
Ishii/Kenny at the G1
>>
why are people who think omega v okada was the best match so insecure that they assume that everyone else is being contrarian?
>>
>>5900724
this is fantastic and probably one of the best matches ive ever seen
>>5900915
that okada tana match was insanly predictable and not even there best match of that year
>>
>>5900610
Yes you can
O-O 1 and 2 weren't in 2018
Ya dip
>>
File: 1523358001500.jpg (49 KB, 759x422)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>MOTY
Okada-Omega, 2/3 falls
>honorable mentions
Okada-Tana for the title, I forgot when
Brock-Roman @ WM - obv not for the match, but for the crowd. Absolutely ebin, unironically. Ha ha
>>
>>5901821
Not even the best match either of them had this year

>>5901848
Fingers don't have necks retard

>>5902031
t. e-Drone
>>
>control+f
>Becky
>Charlotte
>0 results

Incels
>>
Not even match of the night.
>>
>>5900442
gargano vs almas.
>>
>>5900442
Miyahara/Marufuji Champion Carnival
>>
My top 5 would probably be
>Okada/Omega Dominion
>Ishii/Ibushi G1
>Tana/Suzuki New Beginning
>Okada/ZSJ Sakura Genesis
>Kenny/Ibushi G1
>>
>>5903606
>>Tana/Suzuki New Beginning

i haven't seen this one brought up, could ya redpill me anon
>>
File: suzukidropkick.webm (1.4 MB, 852x480)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB WEBM
>>5903649
It kinda got overshadowed by NXT that weekend, which is a shame, because it was a much better match, I think. Just WWE/NXT fans are far more numerous and managed to shout over it and a pretty good Kenny/Jay match, too.
It was all-the-way with some of Suzuki's most brutal submission work and some of Tana's best selling. Suzuki worked stiff as fuck, they built and teased to Tana's fleeting comebacks very well, stopping and starting them to keep fans on the edge, and when he finally started making them they were nuts each time.
Finish was excellent and there was a kino shot of an adult fan literally crying. It basically kick-started Tana's redemption angle through the whole year, too, heavily selling the knee and working from underneath.
If you've seen their match from KoPW with no near-falls years back it's reminiscent of that. There were very few pin attempts and it was all built around Suzuki wanting to tear Tana's limbs off.
>>
>>5903681
thank you based informative anon
>>
File: 1531178863312.jpg (306 KB, 1080x1332)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
Unironically Jay vs Juice
>>
>>5900460
This guy gets it
>>
>>5901796
faggot edrone detected. both 1 & 2 were good matches. great selling, no flippy shit. good build up and big fight feel, the way it should be.
>>
>>5903681
Tana looked liked he was heading to the dad route when he lost to suzuki and okada. Then he won the g1 and the rest is history.
>>
>>5904567
>he disagrees with you
>edrone

nah they bored me too tbf
it's fine if you like them but don't assert two average-at-best working a developmental-tier match in a moty thread and expect not to get some negative feedback my nig
>>
File: DcMqJDfUQAA6BMX.jpg (57 KB, 600x400)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>5900460
I might swap Tana and Kota for this.

This card was crazy though. Has to be the best show of the year.
>>
>>5900500
>Suzuki and Goto was in 2018

Holy fuck! I forgot about that. Amazing match. Stole the show.
>>
>>5904674
I’d rather watch a cohesive, basic brawler style match like either of those matches over anything wwe has done since mania 30. NJPW put out some kino in 2018, but the CAWdy vs Aldis matches deserve conversation too
>>
>>5900673
I prefer Steamboat/Savage to the Flair matches and while I love the Austin match, Bret vs. Owen has never done anything for me.
>>
>>5904660
don't get your hopes up, in all likelihood he's just a transitional champ
they had to get the belt off Kenny, and of course Kenny couldn't drop it back to Okada because it would kinda demean his victory over Okada.
but he also couldn't drop it to someone 'lower' than him, because that would also have demeaned Kenny's status/power level

So really, the only person he could have dropped it to was Tana. The previous ace. A living legend. No shame in losing to him. Protects Kenny while also protecting the belt, if ya get what i mean.
>>
>>5900449
fpbp
>>
>>5900703
While I agree with the idea that he goes back to the V-Trigger too often, he seems to have realized it. He only got...one off on Tanahashi?
>>
WWE RAW vs getting 2 million people to watch
>>
>>5903681
It was noteworthy because for all of 2017 Suzuki had been doing really tedious interference shit and a lot of people had gotten sick of it, but then at New Beginning he just showed up and fucking murdered Tanahashi. It was incredible.

Reign was too short imo.
>>
>>5904742
>don't get your hopes up, in all likelihood he's just a transitional champ
There's nothing wrong with that. The catharsis was him winning at WK13. He can drop it whenever now. And probably should, since, y'know, he's looking kind of immobile now.
>>
>>5904869
>Reign was too short imo.
This. I was excited to see him tear off peoples' legs for a year
>>
>not a single mention of anything at last years wrestlemania
really makes you think
>>
>>5905210
*ahem*
>>5903379
>>
>>5905210
>>5905226
A mention for being notably terrible is still a mention.
>>
>>5904723
Based
>>
How is Tana still putting out so many MOTY candidates while being held together via duct tape
>>
>>5905631
Because he tells good stories unlike these flippyshitters who think it's a gymnastics competition.

It's the same way Ultimate Warrior put on MOTYs at back-to-back Wrestlemanias despite not being able to wrestle. Based Warrior.
>>
>>5900442
Unironically Ospreay vs Ibushi was the best one I’ve seen in the last 12months
>>
>>5905924
It also happened in 2019
>>
>>5905924
>2019
also, that match was a letdown. good but nowhere near the high expectations placed upon it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.