[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: taz.jpg (42 KB, 591x357)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Should wrestlers work for free?
>>
I'd work for hotdogs and whiteclaws and painkillers and a place to sleep
>>
Only in the most specific of circumstances (Brian Pillman working one free match for ECW as a promise). Working for "exposure" is an absolute scam. At the end of the day you're trying to put food on the table, and that matters above all else
>>
>>12962089
wtf they get paid? dropped
>>
Working in academia, first thing my advisor told me was to never accept to work for somebody for free. It's honestly the best advice I received. Since then, several people contacted me to work on their hot new project that will surely get my name out there and all of them ended being carnies that fucked people over.
Work for free only on projects you own yourself. Never do it for somebody else.
>>
never, enough problems to get all the money promised already
>>
Modern wrestlers (and people in general) greatly overestimate their value. The booker is the one putting up money, risking his well being. Why should you be paid when they take on the entire risk?

I own my business and pay my employees, but I absolutely expect them to work “for free” at times. Hell, I do it all the time.
>>
>>12962127
Not shocked your in academia with that broken libtard view of the world. Life sucks sometimes, suck it up buttercup.
>>
He is saying if you are a pro wrestler. He's not talking about someone getting their feet wet. Right out of wrestling school you will wrestle some matches for low to no pay at KC Halls. That's to be expected. If you have been getting booked for 2+ years and have a good name for yourself, you should not be working for free ever.
>>
>>12962286
Something tells me you also think a 15 dollar minim wage is a good idea.
>>
>>12962301
Did you actually read my post?
>>
Then they'll hire someone else that will work for free or very cheap, in an industry with Orange Cassidies and Marko Stunts you think promoters have any standards?
>>
>>12962127
Get a real job faggot. “Academia” so your a teacher then cunt? Don’t try to jazz it up. Working indoors is for females.
>>
>>12962305
You’re saying “pros” with 2 years experience should not work for free.

First of all - wow. Second, you consider a pro at 2 years experience? Thirdly, do you think these promoters have millions of dollars to book shows? If we did what you want, tickets for Indy shows would be 100 bucks a seat. That’s insane and you’d kill wrestling. Free labor is the backbone of the Indy scene, you get paid when you hit the big time (WWE) or you get a real job.
>>
>>12962343
You have no idea what you are talking about, son. If you think you have 2 years in ring experience, have begun making a name for yourself, and are getting booked on a regular basis... and should ever be working for free...I bet you'd let the promoters keep 25% of your merch sales too, wouldn't you Mark? Who the fuck said millions? There's a big difference between working for free and getting $50 and gas money.
>>
>>12962378
Let’s say I run a show with 20 wrestlers on it and 2 referees. I get a crowd of 300 people. I charge everyone 15 bucks, and draw 4500 dollars. After I pay myself and cover the rental, I’m left with MAYBE 2000. After lighting, pyro, and advertising (which I paid for myself) I’m down to 1500.

So either I pay every person roughly 70 dollars for the show OR I raise prices. Now let’s do the math again.

If half those guys work for exposure, I can pay the remaining 10 a 70 dollar payment. That leaves 700 dollars for me to reinvest in the company and grow. Or, if I want to, splurge on a big name wrestler to draw a bigger crowd.

This is even without stuff like microphones, a DJ, upgrades to the ring, getting a commercial on TV or in the paper, etc.

Economics isn’t your strong suit, huh?
>>
I can't wrestle but I'd work a match for a £25 Steam voucher.
>>
>>12962233
>>12962322
worked
>>
>>12962476
>mfw he was merely pretending

I've been jennifers have been juxtaposed by another classic japer
>>
>>12962424
Unless you're a brand new promotion, you do have some local sponsors to mitigate the cost, and hell, even GCW in a fucking garage had Impact ads. Not sure how much of the total cost this mitigates, but your math doesn't tell the whole story.
>>
>>12962089
Fuck them. None of these drug fucked alcoholic carnies attempt to unionize so I’m glad the McMahons and Kahns of the world exploit these retards. Living there last 20-30 years in constant pain without two pennies to rub together is there own stupid fault.
>>
>>12962519
Ok, fair warning, I’m about to own you. So buckle up.

I own a local Indy fed. Run 2 shows a month, 400 people. I charge 15 a seat. 6000 a show. 12,000 dollars a month. With me?

I am the promoter and need to survive, so I take my salary of 7k a month to pay my mortgage and whatnot. That leaves 5k a month.

I rent a building for 1000 a month. 4K left.

20 wrestlers paid twice. What should it be? Let’s say 100 a show. There’s my money gone. GONE.

So how do I invest in the company in your dream scenario? Answer me that.
>>
>>12962424
>I don't have money for microphones or to upgrade the ring
>But I do have money to waste on pyro
Using your brain isn't your strong suit
>>
File: dylanFATretard.jpg (173 KB, 1080x1080)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>12962537
>Fuck them. None of these drug fucked alcoholic carnies attempt to unionize so I’m glad the McMahons and Kahns of the world exploit these retards. Living there last 20-30 years in constant pain without two pennies to rub together is there own stupid fault.
>>
>>12962089
Should jannies?
>>
>>12962424
>pyro
Okay man run along now
>>
>>12962556
How did you get my picture ?
>>
>>12962089
I could probably be talked into wrestling a couple of matches for free. But if you ask me to do any of that other shit like moving and putting the ring together, I better be getting paid.
>>
>>12962541
>so I take my salary of 7k
There it is, you're a jew. How about you pay your talent and take a fat salary when your shitty business becomes more profitable?
>>
>>12962541
>I take my salary of 7k
Ahahahha, get the fuck out of here
>>
>>12962541
I wasn't even the guy you were arguing with, I was just mentioning that most of these shows get sponsors that affect the cost to some degree, but how much, as I said, I have no idea. But yeah, I guess I got 'owned'. Grow up dude.
>>
>>12962322
>Working indoors is for females.
True
>>
>>12962541
>I take my salary of 7k
>how do I invest in the company in your dream scenario if I have to spend 7k on MYSELF?
honestly you deserve to go fucking broke
>>
>>12962596
Why? What is my labor worth? The risk in running these shows and giving a showcase for these people?
>>
>>12962637
Stop posting and prevent yourself more embarassment.
>>
>>12962541
>my salary of 7k a month
nigga you're not surviving with that shit
you're far above well off
>>
>>12962658
Not gonna post too much personal stuff but my mortgage is 4K a month, I have bills to pay, car payments, and dues. Would you have me live on the street?
>>
>>12962226
Fuck of kike. I always make it clear to an employer that I don't work for free. My time is money and if you don't want to pay for it then I work somewhere else. Also when you work for your business you are not working for free because it's your business. Expecting your employees to work for free is fucking slavery and it's illegal btw. I hope your ass gets reported.
>>
>>12962711
I'd rather have you get a real job instead of carnying your way trough life.
>>
>>12962711
Well the wrestlers on the card also have bills to pay you asshole. How selfish can you be? The point of running a successful business is to be able to make money and take care of your people. If you can't do either of that then you better close shop.
>>
File: 1488266866767.jpg (47 KB, 720x439)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>12962089
>you have a skill
>>
>>12962748
I’m a wrestling promoter. And you apply this logic to me, but not my employees? Laughable. No wonder the world is fucked for people like me, who actually understand economics and WORK for our money.
>>
>>12962105
Based Allie Kat
>>
yes they should, obviously they like wrestling and work isnt something you should love
it's more like a hobby to them anyway since they go out and fake fight for ten minutes once a week, there's no reason to pay them a single dime for it and they should have a real work to contribute to the society
>>
>>12962768
If you don't understand the difference between management's responsibilities and those of the employees, you are what's laughable. Your understanding of economics = I took out a mortgage I cannot afford while simultaneously running a business I will bankrupt in order to pay this mortgage and my workers are my literal last priority. You are a fucking joke.
>>
>>12962322
t. 30k a year construction worker
>>
>>12962541
>Those numbers
>Any Indie doing 400 people paid twice a month when ROH and TNA has trouble even doing that, and you claim you are using free wrestlers aka scrubs
>No idea of the actual costs that incur running a business
>Doesn't know that running actual venues means dealing with the Athletic Commision
>All seats are the same price
>Thinks the promoter is the only employee besides the wrestlers so you just take that cut yourself
>Paying a monthly rate for a building you use on two nights
>Any Indie running a set schedule of twice a month and either paying ahead or just being able to get the venue when they want
>This show only has 20 guys yet draws 400
Lmao, but what's even worse is people here are too stupid to even understand how badly you are making shit up.
>>
>>12962810
You’re the joke. Have fun getting fucked on your taxes when they raise the minimum wage.
>>
I'm currently arguing with Sean Ross Sapp, Pinkie Sanchez and Mad Man Pondo about this. Their arguments are pretty poor.

Why would a no name wrestler turn down an unpaid gig if it could further their careers? It makes sense for Taz to turn it down, but not random indy dude #241.
>>
>>12962825
I’m glad you said it. I was about to shut his shit down since I work on the management team for MSG. Good shit anon.
>>
>>12962711
>I can't live on the strets. No way
>But my wrasslers? They can go sleep under a bridge for all I care
wew
>>
>>12962825
>>12962837
got worked like a fool brothers
thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>12962322
checked for truth

>>12962541
based gimmick working these marks into a simmering shoot lmao
>>
>>12962322
How does it feel knowing a pack of smelly Mexicans can take your job for half your wage at any time?
>>
>>12962837
Based.
>>12962871
Kek, everybody's gotta get worked sometimes bro, it's how the world goes 'round.
>>
>>12962089
Based. Never work for free.
>>
>>12962424
Sell food for 100% markup and give the workers a spot to sell their gimmicks during intermission. Done faggot

-a faggot who has run shows, nigger.
>>
>>12962226
>but I absolutely expect them to work “for free”
You should be reported then because that's not even close to legal.
>>
>>12962226
If you’re promoter, you have to at least 100k capital before you get a license. Don’t let the promoter make you think they’re struggling
>>
>>12962127
Can confirm. As an indie contractor I regularly tell people to go fuck themselves when they ask me to take a look at some issue they've has for months but are too cheap to hire a company to fix it.
>>
>>12962424
You have pyro for an indie show? True money marker also you make money on concessions and merch.
>>
>>12962776
Meow
>>
>>12962233
>looking out for your own interests makes you a libtard
t. trumpcel bootlicker
>>
>>12962233
Why does the idea of people actually taking control of their lives anger the fuck out of some folks
>>
>>12962089
i gotta admit, i care less about what happens to pro wrestlers than i do about Steven Seagal's painted on hairline
>>
>>12962089
not a chance in fucking hell
>>
>>12963037
Nice
>>
>>12962711
Are you jewish?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.