[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Was it always destined to fall apart?
>>
>>12952252
it's crazy to think there used to be this much competition in American wrestling
>>
>>12952252
Yes, but Vince definitely killed the Territories prematurely.
>>
>>12952289
Sad
>>
>>12952252
Wonder which territory would be the most fun to work in.
>>
>>12952354
Good question. I don't think I'd want to work in Midsouth. Bill Watts sounds like a jackass.
>>
Isn't there a series where Corncuck talks about the history of the various Territories?
>>
>>12952713
Cornette*
Yeah.

Think it was called "back to the territories"
>>
>>12952756
Corncuck*
>>
>>12952252
According to Rise and Fall of WCW, Vince used to own Georgia Championship Wrestling, but the Georgians didn’t want his ass so he sold it and later became WCW.
>>
>>12952867
There you go kid. Keep going on about a old man's sex life. That'll draw you some dimes here on /asp/
>>
>>12952252
If it wasn't Vince, it would've been Verne or Crockett, maybe even Fritz if everything hadn't gotten so fucked up there.
>>12952354
Portland seemed like it would've been fun to be at, aside from the shit pay if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>12952960
Corncuck*
>>
>>12953141
You'll get over eventually kid.
>>
>>12952960
I guarantee that within just the last year alone I made more than you earned in your last 3 years combined. Don't talk to me about drawing dimes.
>>
>>12953229
Woah everyone we've got Billy Badass over here.
>>
>>12952252
It wouldn't have survived past the 90s
>>
>>12952941
Briscos sold GCW to Vince (hence Gerald getting an almost job for life, until covid anyway). Did bad ratings because the GCW audience hated the WWF product. Turner gave Bill Watts a show on the same network. Jim Crockett bought GCW from Vince for a million. That million would help finance WrestleMania.
>>
>>12952252
Yes. It was doomed once satellite TV became a thing, leading to the creation of "superstations" like TBS. The (relative) stability of the territory system was out the window once it became realistically possible for promotions to go national.

>>12952289
It was Jim Barnett, not Vince McMahon, that lit the fuze by effectively taking GCW national on TBS in 1976 (at a time when, Vince Sr. was still running the then WWWF). This didn't sit well with the other promoters, and sowed the seeds which eventually bore fruit at the disastrous NWA annual meeting in '83, where both Barnett and young Vince (who'd bought out his father the previous year) withdrew from the Alliance.

>>12952941
He bought GCW from the Brisco brothers and Barnett (who was by now only a minority owner) for its timeslot on TBS. He ended up selling the timeslot (but not GCW itself) to Crockett after nine months.

GCW's TV program was called "World Championship Wrestling" beginning in 1982, three years before Vince bought it. This name was retained by Vince (as WWF World Championship Wrestling), and by Crockett (as NWA World Championship Wrestling), eventually becoming WCW Saturday Night, after the sale to Turner and amid the phase-out of NWA branding.
>>
>>12953229
lol fag
>>
File: 1522662308144.jpg (114 KB, 707x613)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Yes.
>>
>>12952252
The industry would have died in the transition if Mr McMahon hadn't breathed live into it.
>>
lol corncuck
>>
>>12953449
>>12953661
And the rest is history.
>>
>>12953449
>That million would help finance WrestleMania.
I know that's often been claimed, but I think it's overstating its importance at best, since the sale of the TBS timeslot to Crockett didn't occur until literally the day before WrestleMania.
>>
>>12952354
AWA. All their business is done in the bar.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.