[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 97 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20231119_151400-min.jpg (1.05 MB, 4608x3456)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>albino rattler edition
cont. from: >>4654468

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
http://www.anapsid.org
http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/
>>
File: cd3.png (420 KB, 647x485)
420 KB
420 KB PNG
>>4670859
>trying to figure out how to personally import some rare species from Europe next time I go
>American side of things is easy enough, FWS people told me everything I need
>European side is a complete clusterfuck with declaring them at borders, getting export permits from the country where the airport is in, etc
Fuck I wish I was born 30 years ago when this was all so much easier
>>
File: file.png (844 KB, 480x639)
844 KB
844 KB PNG
>>4670859
How does one go about refrigerating a tortoise for hibernation? I'm asking for a friend. I have had red eared sliders myself before but they never needed to hibernate because they were largely aquatic.

But for a tortoise, what do you do?
>>
>>4670859
When I was at the expo a few weeks back someone had some rattlers for sale and either was displaying or rehoming an adult. Some zoomies were crowding around the tank tanking pictures and you could very clearly see the snake was eyeballing one of them. You know how people say they can see that "there's something behind the eyes" of monitor lizards? I'm now pretty convinced the same goes for rattlesnakes, that motherfucker was CLEARLY aware that there were people looking at him, and he was looking at them, and was slightly annoyed at the attention frankly. It was almost enough to make me want one.
>>
>>4670869
depends on the species. the larger bois are from a perennially hot area so they just DON'T, other are buried for half a year. best to check with other trusted keepers of that particular species.
>>
File: file.jpg (16 KB, 302x403)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>4670874
I don't know what species it is. It's in the pic I posted. I'll ask my friend to take one that's closer.
>>
>>4670874
>other are buried for half a year.
>>4670869
>>4670859
How would one even do this? Do you put the tortoise in dirt and then the fridge? Can you tell me how to do this? Do I wrap the tortoise up in anyting?
>>
>>4670877
i meant "buried for half a year" in nature. Again I cant speak to the exact numbers but I imagine it works like most other reptiles
>stop feeding them for a time to empty their digestive tract because if their metabolic functions go into standby mode with food in their stomachs it will rot inside them and they'll die because their immune system is ALSO on standby
>stop offering heat for a bit and have them cool down a bit
>cool them down further
>stick in wine chiller or a fridge that can maintain a cool but NOT super cold temperature, check on them briefly to make sure they're not dying and to cycle the air in the chiller
>remove after a set period of time, gradually warm to room temp, gradually get up to normal temp after that
>>
>>4670875
Looks like a brown recluse
>>
>>4670875
North American corner tortoise
>>
>>4670904
>brown recluse
Isn't this a spider?

>>4670908
Looked it up, said it was the biggest tortoise species in N. America, but I don't think my friend's one is that big.

>>4670901

Thank you! Can you tell me what type of container you use for the tortoise? How do you check the temperature change? Do you use infrared? How do you check up on them to see if they are still alive? How could you tell ?

Thanks everyone!
>>
File: geko.png (430 KB, 370x594)
430 KB
430 KB PNG
We could've had it all, man. Leachies just aren't the same.
>>
>>4670868
>European side is a complete clusterfuck.
Ftfy
>>
File: 1700442116469729.png (624 KB, 1362x784)
624 KB
624 KB PNG
>>4670859
Guys, I need some advice.
>Be me, Have Ball Python for 16 years.
>Passed away recently.
>She had fertilized eggs & they hatched.
>Looking after the babies but realising I can't look after them all if they grow up to the same size.
>Also, realise that it will be easier to rehome them now instead of when they are older.
>Kind of difficult to let go of them because they are family.
What do I do? Do I let go now?
>>
File: RAKC.jpg (236 KB, 1600x1067)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>4671137
you know the solution, you're just too afraid to admit it.
>>
>>4671137
Hold back one or two you really like, find good homes for the rest, making sure the people youre selling to arent shitbags and actually know what theyre doing and will give them a good life.

Ezpz.
>>
>>4671141
The path of darkness...
>>
>>4671171
the rack side of husbandry is a pathway to some abilities some consider to be unnatural.
>>
File: Eastern_Box_Turtle2.jpg (94 KB, 746x600)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
Best Box Turtle?
>>
I'm really debating it, I want to save him and my dad thinks I should.
At this point Petco isn't making any money from it anyway if I do.
>>
File: 20231121_141314.jpg (3.37 MB, 4032x3024)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>4671331
Forgot pic
>>
>>4671335
Do it. If you don't he'll die.
>>
>>4671312
Cuora flavomarginata is the best box turtle.
>>
King Rat did not want to eat for some reason, Its been a week but no matter what I tired he didnt take.
I fed it to my skink who also didn't want to eat it at first but after getting a bite she was happy and ate it.
I'll try again in a few days.
>>
Who here has personally imported from Mexico/Latino America?? Inverts and Herps. Not taking anything wild-caught, just in case I find anything cool from hobbyists over there
>>
>>4670869
hyp phase is dangerous, tortis have the tendency to die during hyp phase. so make sure to know what you do there.
take a small refrig. make sure its a kind of frig which doesnt create much over- and underpressure while opening and closing (this might damage the lungs or even kill your torti), you can avoid that by placing a small pipe inbetween the seal (frig and frigdoor) for a better air pressure exchange. wait until your torti sits in its place calm and sleepy for a few days to be sure that it really wants to hyper now.
lets talk about its hyp place. take a big enough plastic box. use "poor" soil, unfertilized soil, for the bedding because fertilizer soil can inflict shell inflamation on their bellies normal earth from the garden is best. dont use hey or similar because it will rot or become moldy. your torti will dick into the soil by itself. use dry leafs as a top cover.
water the top of the leafs of your torti from time to time (once every 1 or 2 weeks) with a sprayer to keep the torti hydrated, dont overdo it, dont shower it. too much water on a shell can lead to shellrot. check on your torti weekly (quick check if everything is ok) and weight it once a month. it shouldnt lose to much weight (good are 5% weight loss, max. 10% of its weight during their entire hyper phase, keep therefor track of it!) if it loses too much weight then you can always interupt the hyp phase! your torti might be sick or might has parasites.
now you can keep the torti in the fridg until spring. you end it by turning off the fridg, wait for 1 day or 3, then you can place it in its box in a cool room and let it wake up.
now you can let it into its enviroment its used to. make sure you'll give your little buddy a warm bath a bit later so he can as much hydration as he needs.
>>
>>4670913
>>4670913
use a plastic box which is big enough to gurantee some movement (the torti can still chance its position from). tortis still react if you touch them while being in hyp phase, but their reaction is slow and delayed.
use a multimeter to check the temp, these usually have a temp probe aswell. no infrared. best temps is somewhere between 4°C and 6°C , 8°C is still acceptable.
you can always buy a book about it to know even more
>>
>>4671331
>buy him, and they'll replace him with a new gecko, repeating the cycle
>dont buy him and they'll STILL replace him with a new gecko but you'll not have one and his fate is probably sealed
Your decision whether or not to perpetuate this shitty practice isn't the fucking fulcrum of a sea change of animal welfare and in the long run will probably effect basically nothing and no one but you and that particular gecko, so if you really want to, go for it. Donate to a reptile rescue or something later if you feel it necessary to offset your karmic debt or whatever.
>>
>>4671335
This anon >>4671397 , though abrasive, is unfortunately right. If you want to improve the life of THAT gecko, go ahead, it's a nice thing to want to do.
>>4671389
You can only hope that another kind herpfag sees his replacement and decides the same thing.
>>
>>4671399
Disregard that last reply, I'm a phone poster and I suck cocks.
>>
>>4671399
>>4671397
>>4671331
like nearly three hours later but I had shit to do so
This whole exchange had me thinking for a bit about the whole big box petstore reptile situation, and how the accepted wisdom is "dont buy from them, even to rescue an animal, otherwise you're perpetuating the shitty keeping they do." But here's the thing:
1) if people refuse to buy from the big box pet store because they care about animal welfare, the only people buying from them are people who DO NOT care about animal welfare
2) people that care about animal welfare aren't their target demographic anyway, it's the clueless dipshits.
So a boycott from people who wouldn't really be buying from them in the first place does nothing to help, proper education and training would, but even if every store had perfect husbandry and took the time to sell the right shit for the animals, the dipshits STILL EXIST ANYWAY and are just going to maltreat and kill their animals. Even if they stopped selling reptiles altogether the dipshits would just get them from a mom and pop shop, so apart from a small percentage of customers they manage to educate and correct, the number animals getting neglected by morons stays more or less the same.
In the end I feel like the whole issue thing is just another thing used by people online to feel superior over others. In areas that arent here (facebook, reddit) most people trying to correct others is done in a condemning sense rather than an attempt to educate - pic related.
I dont know why in particular it's different here, maybe the anonymity aspect makes trying to grandstand pointless. Fuck, even with hoarderanon we only really switched to ridicule once it was apparent that he was actively ignoring all of the advice we were trying to give him.
>>
>>4671470
motherfucker I went through all that and forgot to attach the pic.
>>
>>4671470
several additional hours later I realize I forgot something I wanted to add.
There also seems to be some implicit assumption that buying an animal from a big box pet store is inherently worse than buying it from a breeder, but I reject that out of hand. Big box pet stores husbandry is universally shit but we know for a fucking FACT that there are breeders out there that are far, far worse, and we ALSO know for a fact that some are just flat out liars, selling sick/dying animals or ones that aren't properly established. In a perfect world I would really only get an animal from someone who knows their shit and whom I can properly vet, if I'm in a petsmart picking up cat treats or some shit, and I get this magical connection to a baby beardie and every fiber in my soul is screaming out at me to GET THIS LITTLE DUDE OUT OF HERE LOOK AT HIM HE NEEDS YOU I wouldnt forsake the tiny little fuck because of something as inconsequential (and honestly pretty fucking ubiquitous) as "this business partakes in certain practices that are maybe not morally sound."
>>
>>4671357
Rats usually have a pretty good appetite so might just be settling in. Did you get feeding records from the breeder?
>>
>>4671643
Every Tuesday
>>
Bloods seem kind of perfect. Bigger than royals but smaller than boas. What's the catch
>>
>>4671789
They're assholes
>>
>>4671789
Ever wonder how they got that common name
>>
>>4671789
>What's the catch
Wanna know how I know you haven't googled them yet
>>
>>4671789
>Tokay of constrictors
Do it fgt, buy one
>>
>>4671899
>o no the big scawy five foot constwictor bit me!!
dont be a baby, it won't kill you.
>>
>>4671915
But it will gas you
>>
>>4671915
Correct. So you should do it. Post pics of the bite wounds
>>
>>4671915
>dont be a baby, it won't kill you.
Correct, but it will be a pretty severe puncture wound. Adults will bite through your hand.
That being said, Sumatra anon is probably still around, his girl is tame
>>
>>4671562
at least pet stores don't even fuck with the types of reptiles i'm interested in so i personally don't even need to be presented with this moral quandary
>>
Bloods are the pitbulls of the snake world. They're angels.
>>
>Look up anything about Burmese Pythons
>Full of nothing but Florida Nigger Propaganda
>>
Why are pythons so damn cool
>>
>>4671915
>dont be a baby, it won't kill you.
No but they have the fastest strike and strongest bite of all constrictors. An adult can break your hand
>>
>>4672208
>they have the fastest strike and strongest bite of all constrictors.
>do you have a single fact to back that up.jpg
>>
im sorry clint but i need to unfollow you. i cannot stand the AI childrens entertainment content. I get that he ran out of readily available herps to review a long time ago but there were so many better things he could have done with that channel. Deep dives, updates, general hobby news, research paper analysis, literally almost anything but
>WOW LOOK AT THESE PHYLOGENETICS SUPER CRAZY HUH? BIRDS ARE REPTILES BETCHA DIDN'T KNOW THAT WACKY FACTOID!! xD!
>I DEBATE A CHATBOT
literally every reptile youtuber is terrible. i am sorry for ever complaining about fishtube, it absolutely crushes this trash despite its problems.
>>
>>4672356
>literally every reptile youtuber is terrible
be the change you want to see in the world
>>
>KCJFS Beardie died
This is live prison time shit, He didnt even attempt to take care of it.
>>
Tfw showing my fat goth cousin my reptiles at Thanksgiving while trying hard to ignore the sexual tension
>>
Why is it always the best reptiles that never have care guides or very few of them?
>>
>>4672356
Gotta get that youtube algo and make braindead content
>>
>>4672567
Kek
>>
File: 92800.png (43 KB, 511x338)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>4672573
You usin bing or something?
>>
>>4672564
did you have a seizure when you posted this shit or is that random glob of consonants supposed to be the name of a person?
>>
File: 20231118_212019.jpg (572 KB, 2142x1351)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
Little dude eats and shits and sheds like a champ but spends 99% of his time in the warm hide and is shy as fuck. It's still his 1st week, so I guess that's normal
>>
File: tech support.png (3.36 MB, 1197x1607)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB PNG
>>
>>4672596
Well then it's decided
I'm going to start a wildlife YouTube channel where I herp around and am not a complete faggot
>>
>>4672722
FREE HIM
>>
>>4672744
What, and deprive him of his paycheck? Let the guy do his job.
>>
>>4672722
>rhino iggy
I've heard of having horny things ON your computer, not in it!
>>
>>4672738
Call it GoHerping.
>>
File: 1625528149486.png (181 KB, 656x398)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
>>4672768
>look at his channel after not seeing it for years
>last two dozen videos are just random vlogs that have nothing to do with herps
When will people realize that the only way you will be succesful doing vlogs is if you have a pretty face to look at or do interesting things. Nobody gives a shit about your average life.
>>
>>4672768
actuallygoingherping would be a funny title name
>>
>>4672659
>It's still his 1st week, so I guess that's normal
Yep. Eating already is great.
>>
>>4672782
I'll call it GoDerping because I literally have no idea what I'm doing and will probably get lost in the woods and or attacked by a goose
>>
>>4672792
Be like fishinggarett but instead of yoinking things, you get yoinked.
>>
another day, another retard from reddit
>>
>>4672812
>the one broken chrysalis
I'm now imagining Alien, but with a single beetle and a redditor.
>>
>>4672812
It's the shrimp from instant Ramen cups
>>
>>4672564
He did attempt, he's just a retard and someone gave it to him iirc, he never should have been given anything to depend on him to care because he has the mental maturity of a child and we all know what happens to the typical child's first pet bearded dragon.

People out there acting like he's the second coming of hitler for it when millions of people are buying and breeding reptiles as disposable pets.

>>4672781
he was under the illusion that he was big or entertaining enough to make the leap from special interest video creator to surrogate parasocial friendship variety streamer. Needless to say, he was not. I'm kinda glad his channel died though because I hated looking at his ambien'd out lazysmug mulatto zoomer face.
>>
>>4672812
Why do so many people there reply as if they didn't read any of the comments?
>>
>>4673014
Because they probably didnt, either because of their own desire to show they know stuff or just to go. "Ooh ooh me too I know stuff give me updoots"
>>
>>4672805
I told my mom I was going to make this wildlife Channel and she said "a stupid idea like that will probably get a million views" :/
>>
>>4673046
For true algorithmic fuckery post a short every time you flip a rock and find something, and give a few fun facts about whatever it is, then point towards the larger video of the whole trip.
>>
>>4673072
Back when I was a kid before the town became soulless and replaced the curbs with long strips of concrete, the curb was individual bricks and many of them had come loose
Those were the best times of my life flipping those bad boys over and seeing all the stuff in there
>>
remember that time they tried to make scaleless hognoses?
>>
>>4670859
Is there anything different you need to do with super giant leopard geckos other than more food/supplements and a larger enclosure?
>>
>>4673492
Nope. Same care.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (242 KB, 1143x1063)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/biologists-adopt-axolotl-campaign/

>throw some Ambystoma mutts into artificial habitats
>call it conservation and beg for donations
Kek, what a scam. Normalfags will probably eat that shit up though because of le heckin wholesome meme axolotls.
>>
>>4673821

im still planing to release a few of my young axolotl or eggs (theyre tested for chytrid) into a bavarian mountain lake just to troll the faggy "enviromentalists" in germany but i cant find one that has no fish or newts.
>>
>>4673954
Devilish introduction of invasive species is fun. Personally I support the Florida thunderdome.
>>
File: axolotl.jpg (70 KB, 580x435)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4673821
don't forget they're tasty
>>
>>4673954
>but i cant find one that has no fish
Blame troutfags for that
>OMG is that a cold body of water? Oh God... I need to STOOOOOOOOOOOCK
>spends thousands of dollars to farm and stock fish that die the second the water gets a little too warm
>>
>>4673954
based
>>
Instead of a koi pond would an axolotl pond make sense?
>>
>>4674204
If you can keep it cold
>>
>>4674219
How cold? Can I release some in the catskills?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (209 KB, 1002x1026)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>4674236
Winters would be problematic. Axolotls don't want temps below 50° for extended periods.
>>
>>4674250
Finicky little buggers
>>
fish anon here
I worry a lot about retards overegulating shit in the future, however fish people are relatively safe from regulations, so its hard to find any people who realize the problem. I know you guys are on the front of this battlefield right now. Can someone give me the scoop on the politics of this? Are we all going to be fucked eventually? Is there any way to stop exotic pet keeping from being regulated out of existence?
>>
>>4674290
>however fish people are relatively safe from regulations, so its hard to find any people who realize the problem.
Talk to saltwater people. We discuss this all the time as there are bans being levied and lifted constantly, even though the hobby industry has zero effect on the ecosystem unlike commercial fishing, industrial waste, and tourism.
>>
>>4674290
Well there's already a lot of regulations but they're in the countries where the fish are caught, mostly South America. That's why certain fish like stingrays, plecos, knifefish, aren't imported anymore and why the industry has moved to southeast Asia.
The only regulation in the state side of things is for invasive species control. They federally banned a couple species of fish in 2016 and now some states it's illegal to have weather loaches for example.
>>
>>4674472
This loach is beyond reproach
>>
File: bettascouldbehere.jpg (1.43 MB, 2312x1040)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>4674576
>>
At first I was like
>>
>>4674806
but then I
>>
is there any issue just gutloading my roaches with duckweed and aquatic plant trimmings? it seems to work really well for keeping them alive, i just add a hearty pinch of duckweed every time i feed roaches to my lizard. I don't remove the old duckweed. I buy roaches about once every other month and only had a few casualties that i suspect were due to bad molts. it seems like the plants handle both nutrition and hydration.
>>
>>4674981
probably fine, turns out duckweed is secretly full of nutrients, like many other "trash" weeds
but variety is always best
>>
>>4674290
>Is there any way to stop exotic pet keeping from being regulated out of existence?
No because they can just lie and say any given exotic animal is carrying a heckin super dangerous and contagious disease caused by a virus/parasite/fungus.
>>
>>4674981
Probably doesn't give much calcium, but duckweed is shockingly high protein. I'd still dust the roaches when you feed the herp, but if you're keeping the roaches alive short term as feeders rather than a colony, duckweed will definitely keep them fed.
>>
Still feels not big enough
>>
>>4675268
is there any way to expose the lies? Or do we just have for americain politics to reach critical mass and pendulum swing to hard libertarian freedom flavor so we can convince them to clean our hobby's legislation up while they are jerking off their guns
>>
>>4675788
pearl clutching about invasives is exactly what rightoids want to do because it allows them to blame someone or something else for destroying the environment that they are the ones actually destroying via overconsumption and bad agricultural/land management practices as well as the mass destruction of apex predators.

invasive species can rarely establish in a well developed ecosystem. Yeah they can really fuck over islands but the main reason invasives are able to do anything in North America is that there are so many manmade open ecological niches. But confronting that is much harder than going out with billybob and making fake youtube videos about catching and killing wild invasive snakes.

Leftoid delusions are a little different but they get off to banning people from doing things they enjoy so they'll go along with it even if they realize that the pet trade is fundamentally not what it was in the 90s and isn't that big of a problem. It's politically pretty weak though because lizard and fish people are weirdos and its a small fry industry compared to shit that perceives it as a threat like big ag.
>>
>>4676082
I know this is whataboutism. But I have trouble believing invasive aren't a huge issue, I live in northeastern US and have watched entire forests get destroyed by a fucking beetle. Granted, temperate forests aren't exactly the most productive ecosystems, but it's what this region's biosphere is largely based around.
>>
>>4676082
Xir reddit is that way
>>
>>4676082
>making fake youtube videos about catching and killing wild invasive snakes
We have these non native lizards where I live (Ohio) that have been here for 50+ years, there's no other native lizards and we still have faggots saying we need to kill them and stop their spread even though they are literally harmless.
I fully believe that thing about a lot of people being secret psychopaths who want an excuse to kill something, and introduced species are the perfect victims because nobody cares about them. You saw what happened with lanternflies the last few years.
>>
>>4676299
>I fully believe that thing about a lot of people being secret psychopaths who want an excuse to kill something
Thats not even something you need to have beliefs about, that shit's just readily apparent.
>>
>>4676237
Just as when someone claims to care about the environment but rejects nuclear energy you know you can disregard anything they have to say
If someone says they care about invasive species but isn't willing to go full 1934 against cats you can just ignore them, they aren't serious about what they say
>>
>>4676309
>be Apex predator
>live IN A SOCIETY
>no outlet for the violence that allowe your ancestors to conquer the planet
>someone offers you an outlet on an animal (socially unflavored)
>GRUG SMASH
Seems pretty reasonable
>>
>>4676299
You don't have fence lizards or skinks in Ohio?
>>
>>4675788
Bioterrorism. Start releasing burms and tegus everywhere until they listen.
>>4676299
>You saw what happened with lanternflies the last few years.
I didn't actually. Qrd?
>>
>>4676324
Oh yeah, the west has lacked an enemy it was socially acceptable to vent our more sadistic/violent tendencies on since the iron curtain fell. Why do you think people got such a fucking boner for zombies? They're humans you dont have to feel bad for slaughtering en masse. These days its mostly pedos and people who are cruel to animals, just take a look at any social media post about them to see people whipping themselves up into a murderous frenzy for whats effectively a completely hypothetical enemy.
>this guy in half a world away strangeld puppies and put it on the internet??? He should have the flesh flensed from his skull and be forced to eat his own face while he gets sodomized by a bull elephant, then they should grind him up and the FEED HIM TO PUPPIES. FUCK THAT GUY.
Had those same people been born 80 years ago they'd be passing out sandwiches and soda at a lynching.
>>
>>4676348
I should have clarified I mean within the city limits. The wall lizards don't like wooded areas like skinks and fence lizards do so they stay on manmade structures.
>>4676356
Lanternflies were public enemy #1 and normies were encouraged to go kill as many as possible. Just imagine a bunch of grown men looking for bugs to stomp on because the government and media told them to do it.
>>
>>4676396
>Lanternflies were public enemy #1 and normies were encouraged to go kill as many as possible. Just imagine a bunch of grown men looking for bugs to stomp on because the government and media told them to do it.
Kek. Reminds me of Mao's war on the sparrows
>>
Sorry for pic for ants but
>Snake didnt eat last week
>No big deal just wait one more week
>Today comes
>Thaw out fuzzy
>Same size he ate the first time
>Put it on tongs and dangle it in front of him
>He's doing his head wiggling and actually vocalizes a bit
>Dope
>Goes for the strike
>Gets the mouse and also some dirt
>Drops the mouse and shakes his head
>Darts off to his hide
>Chase him down and grab him
>Most of the dirt fell out except in the corner of his lip he still has some
>Try to rub it out with the tip of my finger
>No luck
>Whatever I'll just keep going with the mouse
>He wont fucking take it
>Try for another 10 minutes
>Refuses to eat
>Walks over the mouse to climb onto my arm to scale me
God damnit I'm going crazy
Pic related is him squirming.
>>
>>4676396
I bet it's the same for a lot of the introduced lizards in Florida. I've never seen videos of curly tailed lizards or house geckos in the wild.
>>
>>4676416
>snake fucks up grab
>gets snatched up and manhandled
>is now stressed out and wont do that thing that is literally makes them the .ost vulnerable they can possibly be
>WHY HAPEN :(((((
You made a tense situation (oh fuck I hope I can eat this animal) a million times worse. No shit he's not eating.
Additionally thats a pinky, not a fuzzy. Also it might be a good idea to put a plate down or something so when he grabs for it he doesnt end up with a mouthful of substrate (which even by itself isnt THAT bad, looks like cocoa coir which he'll just pass no problem.)
Put a little plate deli cup lid in NOW so they can get used to it being there, and try again tomorrow.
>>
>>4676424
>gets snatched up and manhandled
I only did that because he ran away and I got scared he hurt himself
>>
>>4676429
Yeah, and it's understandable, but does HE know that? Its a bad time all around, so yeah he's probably not going to want to eat after.
Like I said before, try again tomorrow with a small plate or deli cup lid or something, and if he doesnt take it off the tongs, leave it on the plate and just like, leave the room for couple hours.
Deli cup lid may be preferred in this case, now that I think of it. they have a straight lip at the edge so if he fucks up and has to chase it around it has a better chance of staying out of the dirt. They ARE kimd of light though, if he's a particularly violent eater he may flip the thing.
>>
File: 3988714147_48ee3401fd_b.jpg (179 KB, 1023x682)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>4676422
It basically is. Florida is a thunderdome at this point and a couple extra lizards won't change anything. A lot of them are super localized and rare (like picrelated, Jamaican giant anole) and are just another insignificant part of the ecosystem. If anything we should be grateful you can see wild lizards from all around the world in one place.

Really there's no difference between these lizards and garden plants. Both escaped from captivity and spread around and integrated themselves into the local ecosystem. It's just because the former is more obvious it's an "issue". Nobody cares about the artificial jungles made up of Brazillian pepper trees and african grasses and asian ferns, but God forbid there's a new type of lizard there.
>>
>>4676429
For future reference it's not a big deal with snakes get some dirt seasoning on their mice. They can pass that just fine. The small plate/deli lid thing works well to reduce that anyway though.
>>
>>4676889
This, they don't eat their food off sterile plates in nature, so long as you make sure the substrate you're using is a low impact risk (fine soils/sands/etc.) you'll be good.
>>
>>4677081
Forgot to add, also dry your mice off even if you thaw them in a plastic bag if you feed frozen, this helps keep stray particulate from sticking.
>>
>>4677083
>dry your mice off
Or moisten your substrate, if applicable. Wet substrate sticks to dry mice, dry substrate sticks to wet mice, but wet substrate doesn't stick to wet mice.
>>
Pseudoxenodon bambusicola Any one know where to get one?
>>
>>4677176
>Pseudoxenodon bambusicola
Sorry I dont speak Spanish
>>
>>4677178
*chinese false bamboo cobra
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/16oHtUDpaWI?feature=share
>>
File: spazzing snek.webm (2.25 MB, 1080x1920)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB WEBM
>>
>>4677223
Good luck, they pop up rarely and are super pricey and prone on being DOA.
They also eat frogs in the wild so prepare to raid your local Kino Plex often.
>>
>>4676781
I do too but would never keep one. If i'm getting an aquarium that big it's going to be cichlids or something. Tortoise? Sure. But not turtles.
>>
>>4677230
this nigga looks like rubber johnny
>>
>>4677230
is that a snake or a legless lizard?
>>
File: blizzard.jpg (266 KB, 1368x1824)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Here are some of my cobras.
>>
File: DH Blizzard.jpg (343 KB, 1599x1600)
343 KB
343 KB JPG
>>4677479
>>
File: Sunglow.jpg (457 KB, 1200x1600)
457 KB
457 KB JPG
>>4677485
>>
File: T-.jpg (375 KB, 1824x1368)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>4677486
>>
File: T+.jpg (272 KB, 900x1600)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>4677489
>>
>>4676237
I live in the west and the beetle issues we've had have been over 90% climate and human development related. Climate change expands the range and climate change plus human activity put enough stress on historically stable pine forests that saw a cascading ecosystem collapse. It's not something happening, it's something that has happened, and the beetles doing it weren't even invasive.

It's not to say the invasive isn't an issue, but in a vacuum it never would have been an issue.
>>
>>4677493
>>4677489
>>4677485
>>4677486
>>4677479
Those sure are some unnaturally colored, otherwise healthy looking cobras in what appear to be fairly small wooden boxes
>>
>>4677545
All those mutations occur in the wild, except for the first one which is a double mutation as a result of breeding.
I don't know what you define as small, but their enclosures are 7 ft times 4 ft times 3.5 ft. We more educated people call it "terrarium". More experienced keepers prefer wood over glass (only the front is made of glass) to ensure a better climate and reduce energy cost.
>>
>>4677553
Much bigger boxes than they look, clearly they're healthy. Nice collection, anon.

Ever get tagged?
>>
>>4677553
Why do you have so many cobras? Are you running a rescue? Also, have you or anyone else you know in the hot business made themselves immune to a particular species venom?
>>
File: inside.jpg (310 KB, 1824x1368)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
>>4677567
Yeah, maybe because in every photo there is only a small portion of it.
I use specially made hides that I can open and close to safely clean their enclosures. They have a double ceiling, one made of glass, one made of non-transparent plastic so I can observe them, also the entrance is lockable so they won't come out when I clean the windows.
I never got tagged. I will not provoke any risks, but I am certain that, when not having a feeding response, they won't bite in a defense mechanism. They aren't afraid of me and only check if I have tongs with food, if not they aren't really interested in me.

Pic related, it's one of those 2x1.2x0.7 ft security hides

>>4677577
I breed them but only incubate 10% of their eggs, and only if I have a confirmed, very experienced buyer that pays in advance.
>>
>>4677479
>>4677485
>>4677486
>>4677489
>>4677493
>>4677580

beautiful animals and a really amazing... I don't know the word, serpentarium? thanks for sharing anyway.
>>
File: smooth sided toad.jpg (130 KB, 1824x1368)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>4677648
Thanks a lot. Sadly, I don't have pictures of all my cobras. Almost all are sleeping right now. But my toads are active so I show one instead.
Smooth sided toad baby, 1 year old and still small
>>
>>4677459
tail is too small, scalation doesnt look right for a lizard, and he's flattening himself out to looks bigger - pretty sure it's a snake.
>>
>>4677553
have you done anything to the OSB to waterproof it? I dont know what a cobra's humidity/temp requirements are but the moss makes me think it's on the higher end, and while my own experiments with the material have lead me to conclude it's at least partially water resistant (or at least more so than just straight plywood, since it's jammed full of resin), it's still more than capable or rotting out over time.
>>
>>4677661
There are different types of OSB.
The one I am using is OSB 3 used for outdoor applications. I raise the humidity for a few weeks to induce breeding behavior. It never started rotting or even changing color. For the rest of the year I keep them dry with only 1 or 2 water dishes.
>>
>>4677479
>>4677485
>>4677486
>>4677489
>>4677493
>Ply wood
Besides that they look pretty good. How's their temperament? I've seen some peoples cobras act like constant fiends wanting to murder everything while others are like ball pythons.
>>
>>4677669
It depends. The ones that grew up in my living room before I had a dedicated venomous room are pretty much like ball pythons. Especially the males get insanely calm. The ones that grew up without constant exposure to humans can get a little scared, hiss and hood up but rarely strike. And when they do it is because they smell food.
What seems to be a constant in their behavior is that they act big and cocky while in their enclosure, if you take them out they start sniffing everything and just want to get back in, they don't even care anymore about anything else, they just try to get back in their enclosure asap.
>>
>>4677665
Well shit, I did not know that. Good to know though.
>>
>>4677479
>>4677485
>>4677486
>>4677489
>>4677493
Very nice contribution to the thread. There aren't many hots keepers that post here.
>>
>>4677673
What species do you have and of those which is your personal favorite for interactions?
>>
>>4677675
Thank you.
Usually I wouldn't post this on the internet. I have a feeling that a lot of people keep venomous snakes to show off - some Youtubers for example. My girlfriend also showed me keepers on instagram or TikTok, which both I don't have. So this is pretty much the only place on the internet where I would post them. I would be a hypocrite if I posted them elsewhere because I look down on influencers showing off exotic animals.

>>4677679
I breed different morphs of Naja kaouthia, I think the english common name is monocled cobra.
Besides that I keep different crotalids, gaboon vipers, cane and smooth sided toads, frogs and lizards.
N. kaouthia is considered the most 'aggressive' species which I can't deny or confirm - it's pretty much the only cobra species I am working with. And I feel safe and confident around them, a big adamanteus causes more trouble imo
>>
>>4677683
I heard Monocles have the second best personality only to Kings but that they're also a lot more frightful and a bite from them is really bad.
They're probably #3 on my list of most wanted Hots. A leucitic Monocle to be exact.
>>
>>4677679
Or did you ask for all species? That would be
Crotalus adamanteus
A pair of Crotalus atrox
Crotalus durissus
A pair of Crotalus basiliscus
A pair of Bitis rhinoceros
Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster
9 pairs of Naja kaouthia
I had.a pair of Naja naja
9x Rhaebo guttatus
11x Rhinella marina
Lithoria caerulea
Lots of Ceratophrys
A pair of Podarcis sicula
Pyxicephalus adspersus

>>4677685
The Naja naja had definitely a better personality and seemed to be inherently calm.
The white one in my first picture is something like a super leucist, it's leucism and T+ albinism combined, resulting in a white animal with dark red eyes. It's offspring is gonna be 25% T+, 25% leucistic animals, 12,5% leucistic T+ and the rest is going to be hets.
Where do you live?
>>
>>4677690
>Where do you live?
Across the globe from you and somewhere where Hots are super duper illegal. But thank you for offering if that's what you were going to do.
>Crotalus atrox
An Albino Diamond back is my #2 dream herp. They're native to where I live but are rather rare because of people killing them so often.
>Rhinella marina
Vgh.... another I wish I could own but again super illegal. It sucks that I could literally order one the size of basketball right now for $100 if I was just one state over.
I've been looking into Phrynoidis aspera for quite a while now but they're rather expensive and also all wild caught in mass. If I buy one I'd want it to be an adult already.
>>
>>4677694
So you correctly guessed that I am residing in europe?

Is it impossible to get a permit where you live?
Also, there are a lot of species that behave like cobras in every single way. There are pretty much unknown rear fanged african species like Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus, nothing comes closer to cobras than this, except for the lack of a hood.
If you are interested in giant toads I can suggest Rhaebo guttatus, females grow even bigger than cane toads if fed correctly.
>>
>>4677690
>A pair of Podarcis sicula
Nice, Lacertidae family is super underrated here in the US hobby. There' actually an introduced population of sicula a few hours away from me, I'm planning on making an outdoor enclosure and raising them.
>>
>>4677700
Lacertidae are giga protected, can you just pick them up if they are from an introduced population?
>>
>>4677698
>So you correctly guessed that I am residing in Europe?
I've been here so long I can tell where people are generally from without needing a flag.
>Is it impossible to get a permit where you live?
No impossible just unlikely. It's very conservative about what is and isnt allowed. They kicked some dudes door in and raided his house over owning an Alligator Snapping Turtle.
The easiest way I know about is to volunteer at somewhere for a few years and then get recommended from them. But I'm not interested in doing all that right now.
>Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus
Neat, never heard of this guys. I'll look more into them.
>Rhaebo guttatus
Do you have any pictures of a large female? Most I've seen were large but not Cane Toad huge.
>>
>>4677704
>Do you have any pictures of a large female? Most I've seen were large but not Cane Toad huge
Because people are dumb as fuck and feed them crickets and mainly insects. In the wild they will eat lizards, frogs, toads, birds and whatever the fuck.
I posted one of a female that is only 1 year old and already cane toad size.
>>4677652

Also, look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_ClhUmGuQ
>>
>>4677708
Oh wow, that is a big girl. Holy moly.
What do you feed yours?
>>
>>4677712
Chicken hearts dusted in calcium, dubias and morios (super worms?)

Chicken hearts are a great substitute for all frog and lizard eating species by the way. I learned this from breeding ceratophrys. Super cheap, low fat and can be frozen.
>>
>>4677714
Did you have any trouble getting them to eat the chicken hearts or did they just jump into it?
>>
>>4677715
Ceratophrys will eat everything that touches their mouth, Cane toads will eat it from tweezers if you animate it a bit. For Rhaebo I have a special trick, just take a nylon guitar string or the thinnest fishing line you can get, poke a small hole into the heart, make a little knot at the end of the string and put the knot into the little hole in the heart. Then drag it in front of the toad and it will eat it, string will detach. Later they will just eat it even if it doesn't move because they recognize it.
>>
>>4677716
I see, thank you anon I really do appreciate it.
>>
>>4677717
Any time
>>
>>4676422
mediterranean house geckos are stupidly common in parts of texas. we usually go around counting them at night for shits n giggles, normally the count is ~20-40 geckos. one night we hit 91 geckos. our previous highest count in a different year before the giga fuck off freeze was 23; they're doing fine here...
lots of other diurnal lizards too, haven't noticed them out competing anything. we have fence lizards and anoles who have been here for 7+ years.
>>
>>4677702
Yeah, there's no law on how many you can keep as long as you don't release them in a new location.
>>
>>4677743
I think house geckos cause problems with house centipedes, scorpions, and spiders, more than other lizards.
>>
>>4677714
I can wholeheartedly second chicken hearts, they are PACKED with vitamins and healthy fats, if you have a carnivore or omnivore (or a herbivore that will take a cheeky bit of protein now and again) give them a shot.
>>
>>4675788
Nothing can be done. Enjoy it while it lasts
>>
He picked the best and easiest spot to clean, truly bro tier
>>
File: fella.png (485 KB, 582x698)
485 KB
485 KB PNG
>>
>>4678446
My first leo always wanted to go to the bathroom from a high perch. There was a long thing with a vertical drop behind it. He would climb to the top, hang his butt (gecko equivalent region) over the end and go like that. I appreciated when he got the aim correct and everything neatly landed on the extra piece of paper towel I put there for the purpose. Sometimes he didn't hang far enough over and I had to clean the log.
>>
>>4678684
>long thing
Piece of driftwood I collected.
>>
One of my firebellied newts has decided it's time to start chilling in the water now.
Or one is less stressed than the other.

Tbh just stoked the cunt wasn't sitting dead in the water.
>>
File: aters.jpg (115 KB, 1024x690)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>4677485
stupid question from a guy trying to get into Hots were do you get antivenin? i my self plan on getting squams if i get anything (making the above question redundant) but still if i bransh out. do you order online and bring to hospital or how do you do?
>>
>>4678446
leos are amazing and the little poop handstand they do is adorable
>>
Does anything consistently heem live rodents like a corn snake?
>>
>>4678849
I live in germany so we have healthcare. IDK how you guys do it in the US but we have serum depots that fly antivenin in if we need it.
>>
What's the average lifespan for a bearded dragon, When i look online i've seen 5-10 to 8-15. Mines 7 years old and can't tell if it's the weather or if she's just old and losing her strength
>>
I really wish there was a species of monitor that stayed this size girth and all.
Alot of the smaller monitors are so skinny and long but I want one thick and wide.
>>
File: Varanus.rudicollis.jpg (1.4 MB, 1484x1908)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>4679098
roughnecks? will probably end up a bit bigger than that but nothing massive
>>
>>4679072
The world record is 18, mine lived to 16 and I wasn't really super neurotic with care. When mine was like 10 I noticed he started to slow down couldn't really accurately rush down crickets as well as he used to. Yours may just be going through the same phase.
>>
>>4679125
I know a guy with a 16yo.
>>
>>4679072
>>4679125
>>4679148
Remember they reach sexual maturity within 1 or 2 years. They're supposed to reproduce as fast as possible and then get eaten by a hawk or dingo or whatever. Their average life span in the wild is less than 5 years.

Not saying it's normal for a captive one to die so early (if it does its because of shitty care), but that explains why he's slowing down.
>>
File: 20231201_204617.jpg (1.62 MB, 4000x2252)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
It's been almost 3 months since I caught this little nigga at a local creek and I'm happy to see how big he's gotten. I noticed his reddish feathery gills are gone so he can't be a Dwarf Waterdog, right?
Any ideas on what species this fella is? Wanted to make sure so I'm not raising something in a water-filled tank only to find out the guy's not fully aquatic upon maturing.
>>
File: 20231201_204607.jpg (1.88 MB, 4000x2252)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>4679187
>le rotaterino
Fuck, here's another one
>>
Vghhh
>>
>>4679326
Wow that's really nice. It must get warm in there though.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (82 KB, 1211x372)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>4679326
>anon's herps when he's jacking off
>>
i need to know the smallest croc species
>>
File: 20190416115847.jpg (398 KB, 800x533)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>4679479
Cuvier's dwarf caiman, body gets about as long as your arm, will still fuck your world up though.
>>
>>4679507
>will still fuck your world up though.
>hypercarnivorous ambush predator from a lineage that is famed for a relatively strong bite force
>"""only""" the length of a human arm
Checks out
>>
>>4679430
this hits too close to home
>>
File: file.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
What are the most playful reptiles and amphibians?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (356 KB, 1417x1103)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>4672812
kek another one
>>
>>4679599
monitor lizards, nothing else is in contention
>>
>>4679662
tegus, too.
>>
File: little argus.webm (2.66 MB, 404x720)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB WEBM
>>4679662
>>
File: file.jpg (69 KB, 1024x576)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>4679662
is this a good way to meet women
>>
>>4679662
>>4679681
>>4679695
This is the only thing that makes me wish I lived in a warmer climate
>>
>>4679612
I'm getting the unmistakable impression that people think mealworms are actual worms.
>>
>>4679780
You are correct. Long time ago when I was volunteering at a reptile rescue that was the conclusion I came to as well. Every once in a while the question of how to breed meals and supers came up, some fraction of those included a wide eyed reaction when the word 'beetles' entered the conversation.
>>
File: IMG_7653.jpg (2.15 MB, 4032x3024)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>
>>4679599
monitors, crocs, iguanas, sometimes tortoises, maybe tegus but haven't seen it firsthand
>>
>>4679816
>maybe tegus but haven't seen it firsthand
I can confirm tegus. They will actually seek out human attention and not just for food begging purposes.
>>
>>4679806
What species of gecko is that, anon?
>>
File: 20231202_173704.jpg (3.15 MB, 4032x3024)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
My little Cobra <3
I want you to grow big and strong but not into an evil poop sprayer ):
>>
>>4679819
viper gecko, they awesome
>>
>>4679895
neat
>>
I like all reptiles. I can't think of a single bad one.
>>
>>4679910
'bad' is relative. Detracting factors for reptiles are:
cost/rarity
too big/too small
too reclusive
too aggressive
too delicate (chameleons)
too much of a hassle/expense to keep
>>
>>4679787
I've never actually cultured mealworms, are the beetles any good for feeding?
>>
>>4679926
>are the beetles any good for feeding?
You can try but most reptiles don't like them. If they're enthusiastic eaters they will try once, not care for the taste, and ignore them forever after.
>>
>>4679927
Also, judging by universal this reaction is I have to assume darkling beetles taste awful (to reptiles).
>>
>>4679930
>>4679927
related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I7v_5gKxOM
>>
>>4679931
yep
>>
I may retrofit a 36x18x18 into an 18x18x36 at some point. What's an arboreal critter that may like those dimensions?
>>
>>4679958
Could do a gold dust gecko or other small Phelsuma species
>>
>>4679960
I was honestly thinking of one of the smaller day gecko species, they're beautiful. And I like the idea of having a diurnal gecko.
>>
File: literally sneg.jpg (183 KB, 953x1585)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
saw the first pic, couldnt help but make the rest.
>>
>>4679994
Heh
>>
>>4679098
>Alot of the smaller monitors are so skinny and long but I want one thick and wide.
female savannah monitor
>>
File: 20231202_214303-min.jpg (1.38 MB, 4608x3456)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>
>>4679695
there's a guy who walks his sulcata in a park in walla walla during the summers. Every time i've seen him he's talking to a different girl.
>>
>>4680126
>winks
>>
>>4680126
sir your gecko appears to be raw. I recommend putting him back in until he's done.
>>
Is there a specific type of pvc I should avoid if I'm trying to make a bioactive set up? Are there chemicals that could seep into the soil, and then plants that might make them dangerous to animals?
>>
>>4680172
Nope. If it's brand new straight out of the factory from a box with plastic wrap you may want to give it a few days to off-gas. As long as there is no chemical smell you're good to go.
>>
File: toadchad.png (1.5 MB, 879x1175)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB PNG
>>
>>4680172
anything from china
>>
>>4680194
Pvc is pvc. There is no difference aside from thickness and possible quantity of glass fiber reinforcement (if any). Goass fiber drastically reduces the strength of the panels bit it's unlikely to be used in reptile enclosures as they don't need it.
>>
>>4680272
>Goass fiber drastically reduces the strength of the panels
That sentence went all wrong. GLASS fiber drastically INCREASES strength of...
>>
Why are Lacertas so cheap?
They're like $100 - $400 max.
Also whyyyyy are all Heloderma illegal in AZ?
They're not even native here and 2/3 of our neighboring states have them legal to own.
>>
>>4680684
>Why are Lacertas so cheap?
Pretty easy to breed in numbers. That mostly dictates the price on non-morph faggotry herp prices: not too big, breed lots, sell fine = reasonable price.
>>
>Tfw the wild spring tails from the garden made their way into my skinks enclosure
There's like 100 of them dead in her water bowl.
>>
>>4680726
>dead
You sure? Springtails are light enough to walk around on the surface.
>>
>>4680728
Then not dead but stuck inside the water bowl.
>>
>>4680759
skim them out with a spoon and return them to the substrate
>>
File: 388826501030.jpg (173 KB, 1536x2048)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
i think my irian jaya BTS is brumating
>hide itself in the substrate
>not eating
>moving only once a week to drink a little
to be honest i'm kinda suprised, it's a tropical species after all
>>
File: 20231204_162931.jpg (1.37 MB, 4032x3024)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>4680766
I think they're spring tails at least.
I've had issues with them on my floor before I even before I had reptiles so I don’t think they're mites.
>>
>>4680779
>I think they're spring tails at least.
Very high percent chance they are. Tiny white critters floating on water in a reptile enclosure? Springtails. They hop in my water dishes all the time especially if the substrate isn't damp enough for their liking.
>>
Geckos are in hunting mode. I didn't expect this at this time of year. As per usual during winter I just put phoenix worms in to the substrate for the geckos to catch once they hatch out to soldier flies. I prefer doing this in winter as the geckos may or may not be in the mood to hunt and I don't have to remove uneaten soldier flies for fear of them harassing geckos who are trying to half ass brumate kinda. In any case both female crested are currently in ambush mode. High up in the tank looking down at leaves the soldier flies might land on. If there is a THUMP I will know a fly has been caught.
>>
File: IMG_4874.jpg (1.58 MB, 4032x3024)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>4671792
>>4671899
>bloods
>assholes
Retarded take. Bloods are fine if you just respect their boundaries and actually take the time to work with them with said boundaries in mind. It’s not a ball that’ll just coil up and take whatever you subject it to. It’s not a hognose that’ll bluster all day. You get your warning and then if you push the envelope you get bit. In time they’re able to be a chill as any other snake, but you need to understand it’s not an overnight process.
>>
>>4681078
Hey anon, hope you're well. How's the woma breeding plan going?
>>
>>4681090
Doing well anon, thank you! Still raising the little girl up and trying to find a second female. The guy I bought the first girl from hasn’t been at the shows recently so I may finally have to swallow my reservations and start talking to breeders online earlier than planned.
>>
>>4681092
Good to hear, Godspeed. Ive still only seen 2 womas ever at shows
>>
>>4681101
I actually saw a few some months back which made me hopeful but since then the only one I’ve seen was a full grown male at the show last Saturday. Speaking of the show was anyone here in Hamburg? Some goober got his table shut down like an hour in because he was selling illegal inverts and couldn’t keep his mouth shut about the animals he had there. Made a whole scene and tried to turn it into a racial thing.
>>
>>4681103
>Made a whole scene and tried to turn it into a racial thing.
Imagine my surprise
>>
>>4681103
>illegal inverts
like what, giant african snails and some phasmids?
>>
>>4681106
It actually was surprising, to me at least. There were other black vendors there so it’s not like he could cry about how he was being picked on.
>>4681107
Hazarding a guess but I think it may have been one of the whip scorpion species he had. He kept talking about how he was the only person in the states breeding them.
>>
>>4681101
Around 10-13 years ago i saw womas at every show i went to.
>>
>>4680726
Life finds a way.
>>
>>4681174
>tore down failed bioactive enclosure and moved into a new enclosure with standard cypress and coco coir substrate
>scrubbed all decor with soapy water and rinsed clean with 130F water
>springtails and both species of isopod I introduced now thriving in the new substrate and I have no fucking idea what could have survived and where
You're not kidding.
>>
File: bingbingwahoo.jpg (262 KB, 1179x1736)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
huh
>>
>>4681112
>There were other black vendors there so it’s not like he could cry about how he was being picked on.
I feel like you should know this does not stop them.
>>
>>4681613
Got get a 40 dollar Petco bp and trade him lol
>>
File: 20231124_161435_HDR~3.jpg (471 KB, 1468x1462)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
He shed his skin a day after this pic. Is a Juvenile captive born boiga nigriceps I recently bought.
>>
>>4681855
Neat
>>
>>4681626
reads like he wants the reptile, the tank, the lamp, everything you need.
>>
>tanks half price til Crimbus
>geckos half price til Crimbus
brothers...
>>
>>4671789
Fat as hell, assholes, and apparently all bloods/shortails piss like they have uncontrolled diabetes
>>
File: SCHLOPSCHLOPSCHLOP.webm (2.42 MB, 960x540)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB WEBM
>>
>>4682104
more like
shlorp shlorp schlorp
>>
>>4681982
>and apparently all bloods/shortails piss like they have uncontrolled diabetes
You keep saying this, no ones here's experienced it
>>
Why my female corn all of a sudden bite me
What happened:
>go to her enclosure
>shes staring at the back glass
>stick my hand in and touch her a lil, just a stroke
>she is startled (typical for her when i first touch her)
>hear a little rattling (never heard her do it before)
>stroke her softly one more time
>she bites at me (only bit me once before when my hands smelled like chicken)
>rattling

Info
>havent changed her environment
>humidity & temperature are normal
>fed her a few days ago
>had her out for a short amount of time yesterday and she behaved normal
>have had her for 3 years, she is 7 now, have never seen her behave like this

So basically I did nothing abnormal and there should be nothing causing stress- but she is acting like she acted like she is terrified and highly defensive. Did she just get extra startled or should I be more concerned?
>>
>>4682612
>rattling
She's mad and you kept messing with her. Snakes don't really "enjoy" pets
>>
>>4682635
But shes never behaved like that before and I only did it very little
>>
>>4682654
She could just be having a bad day. My skink has those.
>>
Does my lizard like me?
Is it even possible for my lizard to like me?
>>
>>4682668
a lizard will at best like you like you like your favorite chair. So actually they can like you quite a bit. But obviously it's not even in the same league as a dog or cat, or even a lesser rodent in terms of being able to really socialize with you.
>>
>>4682668
Depends on the lizard. But I'm sure it at least tolerates you, anon.
Just like all of the humans in your life.
>>
Put a Monocle Cobra or Rattler in a 3 foot enclosure and no body bats and eye. But when you put a ball python in a 75 gallon well then everyone loses their minds.
>>
>>4682612
They get spooked sometimes. For example I startled my gargoyle gecko the other evening. I was measuring something for the room and retracted the tape measure. She did NOT appreciate the sound or appearance of that and skittered away in to the back of her tank. She refuses to come out in the open now. It'll be about a week before she forgets about the whole thing and starts being lazy in full view again.
>>
>>4682612
Mine is chill but occasionally rattled in which case I leave him alone
>>
>>4682780
*rattles
>>
How to acclimate a milk snake to handling?
>>
>>4682784
handle it several times a week. don't let it spazz out when you handle it, gently hold it still. don't hesitate when you go to pick it up, they can tell when you do and it scares them.
>>
File: GAmnVQKXQAADvuW.jpg (91 KB, 941x562)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
my bp has been chilling in his water bowl for like a month
>no visible mites
>no setup changes
>last shed was good
obviously he's cold and uninterested in food. is this...fine?
>>
>>4682784
>>4682848
3-4 times a week is good. With snakes you should go slow when you pick them up. All that does is give them more time to think about be defensive which increases the stress level of the ordeal. Scoop, hold in hand walking style such that you have hold of them but you're not grabbing and squeezing at all. Let them move from hand to hand if they want to be busy beavers. Do this until snake relaxes. It doesn't take long. A few minutes. Then gently return them to tank. The lesson you are attempting to instill is this:
>monkey picked me up
>nothing bad happened
>monkey picked me up
>nothing bad happened
>monkey does not want to harm me
>finally: when monkey picks me up I get to explore new environs/climb on warm monkey limbs
>>
>>4682872
>With snakes you should go slow when you pick them up
SHOULDN'T go slow. Open tank and scoop, one smooth motion without hesitation.
>>
The guy is little but honestly I think I need gloves/sleeves. He bites FAST
>>
>>4682852
I've never kept or worked with ball pythons so I don't want know what is or isn't normal behavior for them.
>>
>>4682886
Yeah that's fine. Try not to freak out if you get bitten or musked. Behave like nothing different has happened.
>>
>>4682887
The inconconsistent eating drives me nuts. Super friendly but I think I'm becoming a colubrid guy. There are some bonkers corn snake morphs.
>>
>>4682667
>>4682749
>>4682780
thanks yall. I hope thats the case
>>
>>4682909
My sand boa went on a hunger strike for 6+ months last year, I think the whole ordeal caused me to age a good 5 years.
>>
File: 20231208_182449.jpg (3.24 MB, 4032x3024)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
I'm kinda bummed that his blacks coming in. He will probably end up that black and piss yellow which sucks but he's very tolerant so I'm very happy with him over all.
Genuine sweet heart.
>>
>>4683503
rat snake?
>>
File: 20231208_184408.jpg (2.76 MB, 4032x3024)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
>>4683508
King rat
>>
>>4683503
What subspecies?
>>
File: CyQvTHZUcAEM2AJ.jpg (305 KB, 1536x2048)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>4683516
Sold by the vendor as a Chinese but because of its white spots the pet store thought It might have been misidentified and is a Taiwanese.
Personally I think they were trying to shill me the snake and I knowingly gave in once I held him and saw hot sweet he is.
There's was a importer out of the EU with some legit Japanese Kings that are full grown and look awesome. Sadly I don't think I'm ready for a 8 foot possibly angry shit sprayer yet.
>>
>>4680126
this lil fella is chonkin up nicely. just slammed another 5 supers
>>
>>4674981
update on this a couple of weeks later and these guys i bought mid november (who haven't become lizard food yet) are still alive and seem super energetic compared to the roaches i used to feed with vegetable scraps. I'm actually concerned a couple of them will get too big for my guy to eat. And the duckweed doesn't seem to mold AT ALL just shrivels up.

I really like when I can keep shit synergistically and use waste/excess from one animal or enclosure to feed another animal/enclosure.
>>
>>4683553
Good shit, I usually just throw my aquarium waste into my compost, but maybe I'll start using it as bug fodder once I start breeding roaches
>>
further adventures in reddit retards: someone actually worse than hoarderanon edition
>>
>>4683659
I was wondering what you meant until i saw
>10 gallon
Oh god

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.