[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 82 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: OscarTooBig.jpg (20 KB, 400x255)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Perfect for a 10 gallon Edition.
Previous >>4410233
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Unusual Parameters (nitrate, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Age of the tank
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.aquarium-science.org/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater:
>brs 5 minute guides
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUv9SRB_g8 [Embed]
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/

>Thread Question
What is some advice you got from day one?
>>
Why is my Brazilian pennywort growing upwards but still browning from the bottom at the same time?
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>4417360
could i get away with like two thirds that size if i add extra filtration?
>>
File: p1059754812.6.jpg (80 KB, 1200x743)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>4417301
If you can get your hands on these they look like mini beta fish except you can keep many together and are peaceful towards shrimp and other stuff. They probably will be absurdly expensive but since medaka reproduces like crazy you should get your investment back fast.
>>
>>4417413
Alternatively you can try improving the dwarf medaka https://youtu.be/irR1Q_r9eNI
They are a different species (Oryzias minutillus) and have a short bright band so I would work towards expanding the bright band either length or width and try to breed some color on them. Some photos (like this one) show them with a bright blue band but I think that is just some blue light since in videos the band is not blue.
>>
>>4417415
The great thing about the dwarf medaka is that they are tiny and swim in school formation making them great for nano tanks. I can't have an aquarium right now but I will either try my hand on them in future or wait someone make a cool variant from them
>>
This is going to sound crazy but I like fish and natural looking aquariums
I don't like the idea of constantly putting new fish into my aquarium because the old ones died of old age and having no new generations
Which fish can I breed?
>>
>>4417419
Btw it's not a money thing, I figure that buying fish would be cheaper
>>
>>4417419
guppy, platy, molly, medaka, etc. Non-fish there are many species of snails, caridina/neocaridina shrimp. crayfish is possible on a big tank with lots of places to hide.
>>
>>4417423
I like the first 3
Do these have genetic issues?
>>
File: IMG_20210201_164255.jpg (94 KB, 612x612)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>4417426
If you get the fancy/deformed ones probably. On the lighter side this red one is albino, albinism means that it doesn't produce melanin but they still can have other pigments like the red pigment here (probably carotenoids). Balloon molly on the other hand is one with a fucked up spine. There is also the issues of generations of inbreeding so it would help if you get multiple starters preferably from different sources.
>>
File: 5343cf50b086a.png (504 KB, 670x507)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>4417448
Now if I weren't such shrimp fan I would probably make a large planted tank with lots of molly fish. I heard that they are decent algae eaters so that would help the plants as well. I guess you could exchange the excess fish from the non-stop breeding for credits in your local fish store and save some money on fish food.
>>
>>4417426
Platys don't, they've got some really weird genetic stuff going on naturally but nothing harmful, and because there are several different xiphophorus sp. that hybridize regularly at this point, they're much hardier than guppies or mollies (though the latter are mostly fine, outside of Ballon ones, they just very big compared to the others)

Do not keep guppies and mollies together, they will cross breed and it kills the female guppies 100% of the time because of the size difference. You can mix and match xiphophorus to your hearts content, though if you get wild types and mix them with domestics, you'll make the crying Indian sad or something.
>>
>>4417460
female mollies can be mixed with guppies freely though and will help reduce the baby guppy swarms a little. And you might get a muppy.
>>
File: 1667245506515695.jpg (85 KB, 1024x988)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>bought used aio aquarium online since that model is not available anywhere in retail
>just a day away in transit
>tell the guy to package it twice, with extra padding inside and a fragile sticker so it doesn't break
>guy sends it and it gets fumbled in transit
>2 weeks later
>mail guy rings the door and I can't get down to the door fast enough because I'm in the 9th floor, he's already on his way before I'm at the fucking door
>get notified an hour later that my package is at the mailstation
>get there, 20 min commute
>go all the way back home with a 20kg package thats too big to carry comfy
>open it and it has a fucking crack

I'm so close to killing myself guys, fuck, the last one I bought online also broke, I can't do this anymore bros
>>
>>4417468
buying tanks online for any reason is a mistake. learn to love what you have in stores or learn to build your own.
>>
>>4417468
Yeah, like another anon said - dont buy aquariums and fish online.
I ordered the last one i bought through a local shop and then picked it up myself - this way i was 100% sure it wasn’t damaged. Moved it in a car with several blankets wrapped around it.
Maybe a big one can be ordered online safely, if it has to be moved on a pallet because of its size. Packages are being tossed around mercilessly, as we all know. No way to prevent it.
>>
>>4417481
I've had a lot of luck getting fish online - better than what I've had locally, even. Occasional DOAs but if you go with someone like aquahuna you'll get those refunded, and I've had way more illnesses from local stores.

Glass being shipped is always a risk, but I've had rimless aquariums delivered via Amazon without incident, really depends on luck.
>>
File: IMG_20230123_143847.jpg (430 KB, 1800x4000)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
>>4417473
>>4417481
I had very good experience with buying fish online. But yea, my track record so far is 2 out of 2 sofar being broken.

On the other side, does anyone know if the pane between the main chamber and filtration chamber is made out of acrylic in the waterbox peninsula mini 15? I might be able to use it in another non-AIO tank
>>
>>4417322
>good edition choice
>made shortly after last hit bump limit
>missing a slash in the general name
Oh well, at least it wasn't me this time. Or the minimum size webm - I'm so proud of you autists.
>>
>>4417402
I wouldn’t risk it. Unless you have a really basic 5$ betta.
>>
>>4417358
New leaves on top are adapted to underwater conditions while the old ones at the bottom aren’t.
>>
File: 018357-4.jpg (40 KB, 600x366)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Anyone have any experience making your own led lights? I'm thinking on using a plant growth led strip and a 6000k white led strip. What do you guys think? The plant growth one have red, blue and white leds but it is mostly red making a magenta like light I think I will go either 1 growth and 1 6000k or maybe 2 6000k if the light still is too pinkish. picture is the spectrum of the plant one.
>>
Does anybody have experience with Hillstream loaches?

I have a 30 gallon fish tank currently only housing 7 neons. Its been cycling for a couple months now and parameters are fine, but there's a lot of algea. Hillstreams look like the perfect candidate to cut down on that algea a bit while also being a good fish in their own right. Anything I should know about them before I pull the trigger and get one next week when I'm ready for a new addition to the tank?
>>
File: 20230123_130925.jpg (1.35 MB, 1934x2988)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
I forgot the name of this plant, I have 2 in my 10 gallon. All of the longer, original leaves from when I bought it are melting or browning. There is new growth which looks hardier.

I've had this happen with a few other plants when I buy them or move from one tank to another.

Why do plants melt their old leaves and produce new ones when relocated?
>>
>>4417701
My original understanding was that plants grow leaves to suit their environment. Plants going from open air growth to in water need to create new leaves that will work in that new situation.

I didn't think that applied with plants going from in water to in water, but I am experiencing the same thing so I guess that's probably the same reason.
>>
Bloody hell. It hasnt been even 2 weeks since I got my new light and its already gotten dim as shit. It was brighter than my old one but is not visibly dimmer.
>>
>>4417698
Yes. I would advise putting separate color spectrum lightstrips on independent potentiometers so you can adjust each light channel to your liking. If you want to get fancy, you could use a microcontroller and digital pots to have fade-in/fade-out on a timer.

Also, higher CRI does make a bit of an aesthetic difference, so back when I made these things I didn't get the most expensive stuff, I also didn't get the super bargin bin Chinesium stuff. I also undervolted them a bit and it greatly increased lifespan. I considered wiring in some active cooling but I ended up breaking down that tank and now my only two tanks left have higher end lights.
>>
File: setup5.jpg (339 KB, 2000x923)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
>>4404752
3/?

Currently hand-picking hundreds of the biggest slate pieces from a Wio "silver shadow" gravel bag, which I'll then individually silicone together to create certain shapes for the nano aquarium.
How's your monday?

Also both Gunpla are painted, still need to weather them, next post will probably show them.

--------

>>4404795
>>4404796
Eye of the beholder I guess. I see the nano as an extention of the other crap all over my workplace. I already have two ~25cm tall Pop Team Epic statues flipping their fingers at my face. Don't think a mini aquascape with a couple of gundams will do any more damage to my reputation.

>>4404819
Nice, can't wait to see the results. No slacking right? You at least already cut the sprues... r-right?

>>4404822
Well time to pray.
>>
>>4417782
You sure it's the light and not tannins/floaters?
>>
>>4417415
I'll most likely go with one of the larger breeds, if I can find the faux Bettas perhaps that one.

The only issue with the dwarf ones atleast with how I'm going to be doing it is its gonna be an outside set up and those due to their size might have issues outside.
>>
>>4417928
Why would dwarf medakas have issues outside?
>>
I have lots of berried cherry shrimps but my baby survival rate is quite low. My parameters are OK and I think they have enough food (plenty of dead leaves, plants, + some extra food from time to time)
Do you think it could be because of the water temperature ? There is no heater in the tank and I guess sometimes the room temperature drops around 10 °C
>>
>>4417913
There’s tannins and floaters but it’s still dimmer. I’ve got my old light to compare it to and it’s much brighter than the new one, even though it was the opposite when it was new.
>>
>>4417961
Cherry shrimp live even in rivers that freeze over in the winter, but it’s definitely a stress factor. Their ideal temps are above 20°.
>>
>>4417961
until you have a stable colony you should stay fixed around room temp, 70-72ish freedoms. Once you have a flourishing colony temp fluctuations will slow things down a little but won't be that big of a deal.
>>
File: 20230108_120948.jpg (3.56 MB, 4624x3468)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
Whats up /aq/,
Currently have a 10 G, flora: anubias, crypts. fauna: shrimp, dwarf corys and neon tetras.
I recently got gifted another tank 10G also which is sort of annoying but it was free not sure what to do.
Pic is current set up
>>
File: 20230122_173142.jpg (3.27 MB, 4624x3468)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>4418016
So this is the new tank.
Im thinking I could do Iwagami style with a big rock and montecarlo carpet with CRS shrimp.
Ive done an african cihclid tank before shell dwellers. they were cool.
What would you do ? i know I am limited by 10G but still want to try something interesting.
>>
>>4418016
>>4418022
bro
just fucking crop your pics by 1 pixel before posting them.
>>
File: swrodtale.jpg (495 KB, 4032x3024)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
not the best picture because he's a zippy bastard but do you think those little things on his tail could be ich? I noticed only he has them. Not all over his body, only on the tailfin. Or is it nipping? He was badly bullied in a prior tank and was doing well in this one until I noticed these. He is not the dominant male in this tank but I haven't really noticed bullying, it's a heavily stocked tank so aggression should be diffused somewhat.

He's still moving good and eating well, not showing signs of distress but i just noticed these little cyst-y looking specks.

I haven't introduced any new fish to this tank since it was set up aside from a platy fry from a clean tank months ago.
>>
>>4417953
Just from the research I've done, smaller Medaka have issues over wintering and I plan to keep em outside all year long due to space issue, like the japs do.
Perhaps I need to do research on specifically the Dwarf variant to see if the size thing is just for standard Medaka...but with Medaka only starting to catch steam outside of Japan so finding info in English might be an issue for the more specialized lines.
I'm not even sure if sure if this project belongs in /aqg/ since this is gonna be an outdoor setup and technically a "micro pond" (I picked up a food safe 30G tub today and drew up plans for a wooden shell/stand) but I plan to use my knowledge from what my dad taught me and what I learned over my years from indoor aquarium keeping as a general guideline. I already spoke with my LFS and they said they would take Medaka juveniles off my hands, I plan to use them as test bed to see how quickly they sell there, if they just give me store credit or even if they just take them off my hands and tell me if they sell out quickly i'll be happy. From there depending on how well it goes I'll invest in a more fancy line beside the pearl galaxy.
>>
>>4417360
Poor fish - this is what animal cruelty looks like.
>>
>just ordered 600$ worth of cool ass shrimp
yeah im absolutely FUCKED.
>>
>>4418152
No, you're absolutely based.
>>
>>4418152
what kind of ridiculous pyramid skeem variants did you order
>>
After several months of getting huge and popping new leaves like crazy, my Amazon sword has decided it wants to try and die on me. For the past several weeks It's been losing leaves and getting that crinkly leaf effect that signals nutrient deficiency. I've tried dosing K, Ca, and Fe as well as a general purpose fertilizer, but nothing seems to make much of a difference. Trying root tabs now as a last ditch effort to save it, but I might just give up if I don't see any improvement soon. Anyone else have similar issues with swords?
>>
>>4418152
I hope you ordered a sufficient amount to still have enough left over to start colonies when 30-50% of them die from the stress of transit, as shrimp tend to do. I've always been too scared to go full autist with SMASHED and SLAMMED bee shrimp for this reason.
>>
File: IMG_20230123_192308.jpg (3.35 MB, 4608x3456)
3.35 MB
3.35 MB JPG
Hola, can anyone help me ID this lil guy? Got him with the apple snails on accident a month ago, and he's been vibing with the juvenile Bettas since. Google lens gives out only random endangered species from mountanous lakes in Cuba so no luck there. He's pretty ravenous and growing rather fast too. Any ideas?
>>
File: IMG_20230124_090431.jpg (543 KB, 1355x1420)
543 KB
543 KB JPG
>>4418198
>>
File: IMG_20230124_090551.jpg (481 KB, 1476x1098)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>4418203
>>
>>4418108
could just be a fin fracture if you don't see any white spots on his body
>>
>>4418177
the thing with amazon swords is they have a huge burst of growth at the start of their life before slowing down and going almost dormant. maybe replant and propagate any runners you see and start over
>>
>>4418198
molly fry maybe, but wait until he gets bigger to get a proper ID
>>
>>4418218
Might be,but the colors and the pattern are kinda off.
>>
>>4418239
that's to be expected from mutts, because he really resembles the molly fry i've kept
>>
>>4418242
Ahh ok, makes sense, ty for the insight.
>>
>>4418022
Montecarlo is going to need co2. And I don’t like it on iwagumi tanks, personally. I think eleocharis and moss look better on those tanks.
>>
Triopsanon here again. The one triops that hatched from my Smithsonian kits is starting to pack on in size, and I'm trying to put together how exactly I should move it to my 28 gallon. I know these things are extremely sensitive to pH swings, so I just tested the container's pH (filled with the bottled water I used to hatch it) and put it against my tank.
>Hatching Container pH
>28 gallon pH
The aquarium's pH is that high because I just use de-chlorinated tap water on my fish tanks. I understand that this is a massive gap in parameters, so for how long should I acclimate this guy to avoid killing it? I'm guessing it'll have to take several days.
>>
>>4418432
Can’t you lower the ph of the tank? Do a water change and replace it with mineral water. Will have to be a pretty major water change, though. Lowering ph is ass.
>>
>>4418435
I don't have an R/O unit nor the space to install one. I guess my option here would be doing what you said and reaching a happy medium between the two parameters. The more I'm thinking about it, the more this is looking to be a head-spinning balancing act between not shocking that one triops and not shocking the fish already in the tank.
>>
>>4418424
>Montecarlo is going to need co2.
everywhere I see says it's fine without it, I was considering it for my tank.
>>
>>4418471
Really? I might be misremembering things.
>>
>>4418473
like a lot of stuff I hear it grows a lot better with it as a carpet, but isn't essential. I was also looking into Marsilea Hirsuta but there's none at any of my local fish stores.
>>
>>4417322
That fish needs a pond, not a tank.
He probably still doesn't give a shit regardless though. Fish are cool like that. They're too dumb to care about anything but food.
>>
>>4418479
Some fishes are pretty smart.
https://youtu.be/vVnE9o5Uxik
>>
Are there any fish that can share tanks with an axolotl? I'm thinking of getting one since claw frogs will be outlawed in the EU soon
>>
>>4418479
Some cichlids definitely are smart enough to care about stuff. Well, mostly when it has to do with food, but still. They even recognize you, perform simple commands and shit like that.
>>
>>4418114
Just get a bunch of random watertight containers place them all over the ground, drop in some rocks dirt and water plants and that's your Medaka farm. It is literally that easy in keeping them
>>4418198
jungle tank looking based as fuck
>>
File: 20230121_161021.jpg (3.8 MB, 4032x3024)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB JPG
>>4418016
My man, please trade those rubber bands for some fishing line or super glue
>>
>>4418548
Nope, sadly. Everything wants to take a cheeky nibble on those gills and/or will be eaten. Usually both. Axolotls should only be housed with other axolotls and I am not really an axolotl karen. The best way to keep them is bare tank and that's just boring as fuck.
>>
>>4418198
My guess would be some kind of gambusia
>>
>>4418590
>>4418114
Eh it depends on your climate. Frozen over water quickly runs out of oxygen, and depending on your frost line you may need to make the "ponds" 4ft+ deep to avoid hard freezing, which would obviously kill the fish.

There are options if you're somewhere pretty cold, ranging from floating a soccer ball to full greenhouse cover, but the way natives survive in frozen lakes is that the lake is hilariously Understocked - the betta video isn't far off for ratio of fish:space, so they don't deplete the oxygen in the time between freezes. Or they die way down or out entirely and then repopulate next year.
>>
>>4418198
Kinda looks like a tiger limia. Keep him alive and you'll be able to figure it out eventually, livebearer fry looks all alike.
>>
>>4418615
Damn that sucks, if i have an aquarium i just don't want one species in it
>>
>>4418615
wouldn't stuff that will be eaten be ok if there is enough hiding space and they reproduce a lot?
>>
How well will monte carlo do in tank without co2? I have a 30 gallon and want to have some carpeting plants but dont want to get co2 setup
>>
>>4418590
I'm very aware of how easy it is to keep em thus why im giving it a shot. This first one is gonna be a bit for "fancy" just so it's nice to look at but if I'm successful at breeding and decide to go down that path I have plans to expand with all that cheap n easy stuff. As for soil, I have an organic compost bin in the backyard and plan to use that stuff with a sand cap in various small pots I have. Got a Water Lily bulb and some Water Onion bulbs ready, trying to figure out something I can start them in, in side like I do with my non water plants. I most likely will trim some hornwort from my tank and use that as well, maybe Red Root Floaters when Spring has sprung.
My plan is to have the tub set up by March with the rest of the Garden.
>>4418621
I'm in Northern CA, it rarely dips below freezing . Perhaps I'm over thinking it and I just need to do it live.
>>
>>4418732
Oh, if you're in a climate like that just go for it.
>>
>>4418732
I would recommend to breed the fancy ones indoors and once you get a good number try the outdoor pond. Not good to have some random animal eat a small fortune worth of medaka
>>
>>4418715
Carpeting plants without co2 and high light is difficult. Best bet is something like dwarf hairgrass, Shoreweed, or microswords, but even so they'll likely grow taller than you'd want and spread slowly.

>>4418670
Yes, but most stuff that does so will also nip. Almost all fish will nip those flowy gills. If you're desperate, heterandria formosa would be my recommendation.
>>
>>4418783
what if you plant them pretty heavily to start. In that case the slow spread wouldn't be a problem. I would also use flourish excel from time to time
>>
>ordered 600$ of Caridina shrimp yesterday
>township sends a letter today about how all non copper pipe for water will be mandated to be removed and exchanged for copper on all properties

So I’m fucked then.
>>
>>4419045
Why copper? Most places are moving toward Pex these days. At least here in Ontario where it freezes in the winter.
>>
>>4419086
You tell me lad.
>>
>>4419099
Oh they're replacing lead and galvanized steel pipes

Yeah that's a good idea
>>
>>4419099
lead is toxic for shrimp as well.Either you start using de-ionized remineralized water or take a shower before doing water exchanges touse up the copper water from the pipes. also throw away the first bit when you open the faucet. hopefully there won't be enough copper in the water passing quickly through the pipes.
>>
>>4417885
Hygogg's snapped up, doing some work on the missile container so it's in an open state and firing the missile. Not going to be painting them beyond some minor enamel lining and detail touchups myself though, don't want anything leeching.
>>
>>4418715
>>4418783
>>4418793
Not that dude, but I've had all kinds of experience with carpeting plants in various conditions, including low tech, excel, and all three CO2 setups, with DIY lights and more expensive lights. My brother, who has a vastly different setup than me and lives a few states away, also has quite a bit of experience and it is interesting what affects things.

Lots of people do have success with various carpeting plants without CO2. I have never been one of them. My brother has. We attribute it to our differences in tap water. His is naturally lower hardness/pH while mine is quite hard/high pH. That is probably the only significant variable that we could not cross reference (we both used various setups; substrate/lighting/start method/etc; and no matter what I did, he always had more carpet plant success).

With pressurized CO2 though we're on an even field, and both of us currently enjoy much more success overall than any previous setup.

So can you do a low tech carpet plant? Depends on you, but possibly, and often people do. Planting heavily or doing a dry start is an option, but it doesn't actually solve anything. If your parameters are such that you can grow a carpet, then it'll greatly speed things along. If your parameters are such that you can't grow a carpet, you'll just have that much more melting. However, if you've got the money and time, going heavy is always a better option. Far less chance of algae taking over, assuming the carpeting actually takes.
>>
>>4419045
Not at all. I have 100% copper pipes and very acidic water. Never had an issue. Lead and Zinc (from galvanized steel) are just as bad if not WORSE for shrimp while also being worse for you.
>>
File: xViv3tz.jpg (601 KB, 1500x743)
601 KB
601 KB JPG
What are some nice ways to add more color to a planted tank? I really want a 40 gallon aquarium but I need more color than just green.
>>
>>4419245
Uhh...fish.
>>
>>4419245
add rainbow gravel and spongebob's house.
>>
>>4419290
I want to see someone win an aquascaping competition with this.
>>
File: toocute.jpg (206 KB, 1258x864)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>4419293
>>
>>4419293
I kind of want to do a trash tank. Someone mentioned it as an idea for an 'art' project to put like empty bottles and cans and shit in the tank for hardscape, so like a typical wild fish's environment. If I were to do it I'd find more exotic bottles and stuff though to at least make it an attractive piece. Since that's not the kind of tank you just hide in a fishroom, a shitpost like that has to be displayed.
>>
File: 20230121_161252.jpg (3.49 MB, 4032x3024)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
>>4419245
What are you looking for besides color? They got nice purple buce and some nice dark crypts out there. Also some red ludwigia or red tiger lotus bulbs like pic related have been nice reds for me, especially when the tannins build up a little
>>
So does running CO2 mean I can blast lights and fert without having to worry too much about not dosing an algaecide?
>>
>>4419301
seeing plastic trash in rivers depresses me. go for it
>>
>>4419203
>>/m/
We don't care.
>>
>>4419301
Honestly not a bad idea, I can totally see an environmentalist doing this for a biotope competition as a way to draw attention to river pollution. I'd be curious to see how the judges would treat it.
>>
>>4419327
No. You can add more of each, but if you overdo it you will still end up in algae hell. CO2 only makes the plants grown and consume resources at a faster rate. Ozone is what actively kills algae.
>>
I got a pair of honey gouramis today and they at absolutely delightful
>>
File: IMG_20220912_181735.jpg (2.75 MB, 4624x2080)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
>>4419559
Hmm. Maybe I'll set up another QT tank and try H2O2 dosing on the established one. What could go wrong, eh?
>>
>>4419575
Nice, I debated between a small group of Honeys or a single Pearl Gourami for my 35g. Went with the Pearl and I love him but sometimes I wish I went with the Honeys to see some social behaviour. Gouramis are adorable.
>>
>>4419580
Ew jizz tank
>>
File: Golden-Nesaea-2.jpg (232 KB, 1000x750)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>4419245
Stones and wood can provide nice splashes of color from light tan to pitch black. You can get "white" or close to it with some variated anubias, but they'll cost you. There are lots of bright red plants but they usually need pretty heavy co2, or some bright yellow plants like golden nesaea... But for any other colors, fish or inverts are needed.

Maybe some large snails would provide the color you're looking for?
>>
>>4417819
What about rgbw led strips? I'm thinking on getting something like this and use a single continuous strip for the whole thing. My project have limited space and in an odd shape so I can't use long straight lines.
>>
File: moretrains.gif (1001 KB, 320x218)
1001 KB
1001 KB GIF
>Guppocaust Update - Actually 7 Million Edition

Lost a couple more fry and I think the rice fish have been dying but I haven't seen any bodies. The two guppy adults are still alive - on reflection, they were the youngest adults in the colony, and had been born in this tank, which is interesting.

As of right now, I know I've got at least one healthy looking make Daisy's ricefish alive, though he panics and hides when he sees me, and 3+ dwarf fireball platys, the two adult guppies and somewhere around a dozen fry, some of whom are clearly pregnant.

I wanted some bamboo shrimp and nerites for another tank so I ordered 6 black medaka and 6 more Daisy's ricefish from aquahuna that should arrive today, right before the big snowstorm. Pic related.
>>
Is there a risk in adding new fish too close to a water change? I only have free time on weekends so both my water change schedule and my adding new fish to the tank schedule are very close.
>>
>>4419752
Not really. If you add them before the change, temp and ph swings can cause a little stress to some fish, and the actual activity of removing and replacing the water could freak them out a bit, but it's unlikely to have any impact. If you add them after the change, you're providing them the most stable parameters for the longest time between changes, so is probably "best practice" but also doesn't really matter that much.

Most fish just aren't that sensitive to parameter swings. More than 10F or 2ph very quickly will stress some fish, as will going from very hard to very soft water, but the bigger impact is changes in where the tank settles rather than the swings during the water change, and even that needs to be significant for most fish to even notice.

As a good rule of thumb, the smaller the fish, the more sensitive they are to parameter changes
>>
>>4419774
Thanks! I like to add my fish in the evening and clean the tank during the morning so this sounds like I've got my day planed out.

Hopefully the LFS doesn't sell out of that last hillstream loach between today and then...
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions for a filter for a 30 gallon tank? I had ordered this one and its much larger than i had expected it to be and dont really like the look it gives because of that.
>>
File: file.png (1.38 MB, 985x1062)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>4419805
whoops
>>
File: IMG_20230125_110107~2.jpg (397 KB, 1813x1815)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>4419688
Every update curses me, apparently. Immediately afterwards, one of the platys was found dead, didn't see any ich spots or ragged fins or anything beforehand, but guess here I go medicating again.
>>
>>4419805
If you don't like that size in the tank, you need to go with a canister. No other option provides adequate filtration without being even more obtrusive than what you posted - which also probably isn't adequate filtration alone for a 30G, packaging be damned.

>>4419785
You likely want 5+ hillstream loaches of the same species, or you may end up with all females which tend to be shy, or with two males and the beta may get bullied hard.
>>
>>4419827
>which also probably isn't adequate filtration alone for a 30G, packaging be damned.
why is it not adequate and what makes a canister so much better?
>>
>>4419830
>why inadequate
Very low volume of filtration material, made worse by inefficient use of that space if you use the (((replaceable cartridges))).

>why canister better
At least an order of magnitude more filtration volume, easily customizable media, increases total water volume (which has various potential benefits and is never negative), and the actual filter can be hidden in the stand with clear intake and output tubes running into the tank, making it nearly invisible.

A standard canister filter, loaded with k1 micro or similar quality biomedia, will be able to effectively clean the water for more than twenty times the fish that HOB you posted using cartridge filters would be able to, with no regular filter maintenance needed or recommended.
>>
>>4419837
Interesting. The stand i made for the tank isnt enclosed so would need to change that.
>made worse by inefficient use of that space if you use the (((replaceable cartridges))).
If i do keep this filter is there something i should use instead of those cartridges? I've never actually replaced them in other filters, usually you can open them in some way and just replace the activated carbon.
>>
>>4419827
Is having multiple that important? I didn't see that they were particularly sociable in my research. I was hoping to just get one for now
>>
>>4419839
Whatever material works, I'm a huge fan of k1 micro and other similar small plastic material that's used by aquaculture industry (albeit usually in a moving bed) but 10-30ppi sponge is good too, just needs to be fit so the water can't go around it when it starts to clog and may need to be cleaned out every couple months. But basically you just fill the entire area that touches water when the filter runs with your media of choice.

Be wary of stuff like the ceramic balls or rings that claim near-infinite surface area. They're not lying because it's technically true until they are put into use, but beneficial bacteria is not infinitely small and tiny holes clog with detritus very quickly. There's a reason that profit-motivated aquaculture uses what it does.
>>
>>4419840
It depends a bit on the species but they live in large aggregations in the wild, and in general they're bolder when in large numbers. Females of some species in particular will hide most of the time, so if you end up with one of those (and there's probably a dozen species that are commonly sold under that name/designation), you're buying the extras to ensure you get at least 1 male and ideally 3+, because there are some of those species where the dominant male will fuck with the others enough that two males may result in one starving.

There are also some neat interactions in terms of sumo wrestling-style dominance battles.

But none of this is to say you need more than one. They're not unhealthy alone, there's just a higher chance of almost never seeing it.
>>
>>4419839
An alternative to canisters are sumps, which are basically a set of smaller, secondary tanks or sections of a tank which hold filtering media. My 30g tank has 1.5kg of media in its sump, for example.
>>
>>4419847
This is the first I'm hearing of there being a lot of different types. I thought it was all the same species of 2-3 inch ray-like loach?

I'm fine with them being timid, at least to start.

How are they as far as bottom feeding and algea eating? I don't have a bottom feeding fish yet which is an issue when the flakes get past my school of tetras and land on the bottom of the tank. I also have a ridiculous algea bloom so whatever assistance it can provide towards that would be appreciated.
>>
>>4419668
That's possible. My issue with them (back when I made mine) was that their output was pretty shit (power wise). Like... less than 1/4th effectively. This was many years ago. Since then, there are all kinds of cool stuff readily available, including high power stuff that's suitable for even reef tank applications. If long strips do not work, you could do individual fixtures:
https://www.ledsupply.com/color-high-power-leds

But it depends on your budget and patience with construction.
>>
Lost my golden gourami after 5 years today. He was a big boy and lived a good life RIP

Now the question is, what do I replace him with? Any suggestions for a good centerpiece fish in a 20gal community tank with cloud tetras and zebra danios?
>>
File: 20230125_123729.jpg (1.77 MB, 3633x1685)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
These guys have probably been around for, I'm guessing, 18 hours; what now?
The ones on the leaf left behind didn't make it an hour last lights out.
>>
>>4419867
It's actually a whole family with over a dozen genera. The ones for sale are almost all wild caught and there is geographical overlap between many species, so pretty much any in the family that are in the 2-3" with spots or dashes on their back are sold as "hillstream loach" or "butterfly loach" or similar.

https://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream-loaches-the-specialists-at-life-in-the-fast-lane

They're fairly effective algae eaters, and otherwise are good omnivorous bottom feeders. You'll want to give them their own food as well, but they'll clean up the rest. Corys or panda garras are better clean up crew and otos are better direct algae eaters but they'll do a decent job of both.

If you've got algae problems, whatever the other stock is, just chuck a 2-3 nerites in there. If that doesn't work, keep adding them until the algae is gone. They're not expensive, will also clean up flakes off the ground, and are otherwise zero upkeep and very low bioload.
>>
>>4418768
If I were to get my hands on one of the fancy lines I kind want to raise them specifically in indoor Aquarium settings. Those long fancy fins are not gonna be that noticeable from the top but from the side they will stick out. There are also some other issues that would need to be worked out.
1. Medaka get the most/best colors to them in the natural sun light.
2. for the most part due to how they are kept in Japan they are bred to be viewed from the top and look kind of plain from the side. Less of an issue for the fancy ones im sure but I would need to look to make sure.
3. This one is the biggest and perhaps hardest one to overcome. Lifespans in an Aquarium that never has a cold season is shorter. The way I had it explained to me is "Two people are running a 10m track, one blasts off at full speed and keeps that pace the whole time. The other Walks some, Sprints some, Goes at full speed at other times. They both have the same goal but the first one got there alot faster". Basically if there is no cold season where they are less active and just chill at the bottom of the water where it's warmest they are constantly in Breeding Mode and spending all of their energy constantly. 2-3 year lifespan compared to 4-5 year if kept outside.

>>4418758
Picked up most of the set up a couple of days ago....went to take a picture of them and notice the lens and ONLY the lens on my phone shattered while I was moving the supplies. Im assuming it was the Cinder blocks...but still fuck JUST the lense and nothing else? fuck me.
>>
File: macrostoma-1.jpg (28 KB, 500x412)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>4419890
>>
Bloody hell I already did 2 20% water changes with water with a ph of 6.4 plus countless topoffs but the PH in the tank is still aroun 7.8-8. It’s even higher than before. And I use two different tests to make sure. How is this possible? There are no ph altering components in the tank. Well, there’s driftwood and co2, which should bring it LOWER, not higher… Could it be the soil substrate that sits under the gravel? It’s the only thing that I can think of. Maybe the ceramic rings? Activated charcoal?
Other than that, there’s only basalt and river sand in there, neither of which should affect the ph.
>>
File: 1649039585632.png (134 KB, 820x756)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>have probably spent around £3000 over past two months
Fug, things really add up.
>>
File: 1647018985400.webm (1.31 MB, 480x854)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB WEBM
Baby clownfish update, not sure if anyone remembers them.
They're about ready to move away now. I'll miss them, but I'm pretty burned out over caring for them honestly.
>>
>>4419998
Are they hard to take care of? I thought clownfish were the mollies/non dirty goldfish of saltwarer.
>>
>>4419998
Cute circus
>>
>>4420001
It was hard for me to care for, but looking online it seems that most people kill batches of baby clownfish a lot and accept it as a fact of breeding them. I feed them probably 4-5 times in small amounts and clean out the poop/drip in new water every day. I've lost very few, so it's paid off.
Adults are easy though.
>>4420005
Thanks!
>>
>add bamboo shrimp to tank
>they've been hiding in the weeds eating off the substrate so far
I've read they so that when hungry, but part of why I got them is the tiny particles in my water... Is this normal for when they're first added before they're brave enough to climb? Or is this confirmation that all my particulates are tiny sand bits?
>>
>>4419998
OH hey, I assumed they all died! Looking good!
>>
File: 1607528542463.png (74 KB, 260x300)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>4420011
>ship in bamboo shrimp bc I can't buy them in my state
>somehow gets past grated metal lid and dies day 1
tfw
>>
File: IMG_20230125_150857~2.jpg (151 KB, 1214x850)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>rice fish arrive like this
Thanks for the ich, aquahuna... I know every tank has it but it's disconcerting to add new fish looking like this. No other option and I'm already treating due to Guppocaust, so probably will just go away. Or they'll all die. But at least we'll know.
>>
>>4420030
Ich isn't in every aquarium. The cysts are part of the reproductive cycle.
You could argue marine TB is nearly ubiquitous, though.
>>
>>4420045
Well if the viral hemorrhagic that may still be going through the tank doesn't kill him, I'm thinking the ich won't. Or maybe it will finish off the remaining guppies.

At this point I'm just tired of it, every time I think the deaths have stopped someone else dies. I was just trying to give the remaining rice fish some company so they'd stop yeeting themselves into the walls in fear when I enter the room. I liked those little guys way more than the guppies.
>>
>bladder snail boom bust cycle crashes again
Within two weeks, I went from several dozen snails visible at glance to just a few after extensive search.
The bladder population never collapsed so much before.
Anyone got similar experiences?
>>
>>4419998
You got a lot of really nice ones. Do you have buyers for all of them already?
>>
>>4419827
>he's forgetting UNDERGRAVEL GANG
it forces you to redo the entire tank though so plug and play you're probably looking at a canister. You can get a Sunsun for around $100-150. I haven't had any more issues with them than I've had with other canisters.

You can also run undergravel AND canister. Plug the suction end into one undergravel uplift, powerhead on the other. Turns the entire substrate into a prefilter.
>>
>>4419896
Just bought three nerites. Wish me and them luck
>>
>angels start eating hygro
>nitrate rises
>algae covers other plants
please kill me

Crinum looks like it will die, val is growing still but looks like shit, anubias all have more algae than leaf showing. My crypts are A ok, I just get kind of sad when I look at the tank now though. Probably going to redo a large portion of the tank.
>>
File: 20230108_133931 (1).webm (2.8 MB, 640x360)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB WEBM
Harlequin rasboras have ich

I suspect from the 3 I added from a petsmart. The rest were from Big Als and older.

I do not have a thermometer that can increase temperature, it's a steady 78.

What am I in for? I have non methelyn blue medication, and aquarium salts.
>>
>>4418437
I decided to do something risky and perform a long-term acclimation routine of replacing just a little bit of the triop's water every day for the next few days until the pH of its container matches the tank. It's starting to reach the size where it should handle a pH climb, but wish me luck anyway.
>>
File: 1656417941481.jpg (69 KB, 555x366)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>4420185
Thanks, they're 1/2 black storm, 1/4 picasso, 1/4 snowflake.
Not got buyers for any, but I'm not looking to make a profit. I just wanted a few of my clowns' offspring for myself.
I'm going to make a few posts on sites like Reef2reef and see of there's anyone in the UK interested in picking a few up. Any that are left will go to my local fish store.
>>
>>4417322
When I was a little kid my dad had a big ass oscar.
I remember he'd catch those big ass palmetto bugs and throw them into the tank and that thing would gobble them up.
>>
>>4419985
I stopped counting when I reached the 1000€ mark. That was in 2015...
>>
>>4419985
kek my aquarium hobby is cheap as fuck. I think I spent $3,000 over the past 3 years. I have 12 tanks. It's surprisingly even cheap compared to vidya which I always considered the cheapest hobby, my last rig was ~$2,800.

Guns are the expensive hobby. .308 is over 50 cents a round anymore. I had to stop shooting so much because I was blowing through a few hundred bucks a month just on plinking ammo. I'm going to buy a few .22s and start shooting again soon though.
>>
>>4420242
>putting petsmart fish in your tank without lengthy quarantine
it's like rawdogging a truckstop hooker my man. this is why quarantine is important, even if you are 100% confident about your source. Even shit I buy from Corey sits in quarantine for a couple of days unless it's being tossed in an empty tank.
>>
>>4420290
The chinese market is a goldmine for cheap but really good aquarium supplies. People fall hard for the meme that they NEED that fluval canister filter for their fluval tanks filled with fluval substrate instead of a 50c chink sponge.
>>
File: Plants.jpg (3.18 MB, 4032x2946)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
Decided to splurge on plants for my most recent tank. This is my first attempt at a heavily planted setup, as well as my first time using a canister filter.
>>
>>4420423
I love tanks with big open spaces in the middle, perfect for feeding and when fish want to play around. What are you plans for stocking besides the betta?
>>
>>4420428
I'm a sick man with a shrimp lust so I was planning on making them the focus of this tank. Not sure if I'm gonna keep betta boy in this one or move him to one of my other tanks.
>>
>>4420339
A lot of the big name brands, at least in America, aren't even that great, quality-wise, let alone for the cost. Like, if it's sold in Petco/Petsmart... probably not the greatest. Fluval included.
>>
>>4420294
Maybe im just lucky but my local Petco fish department LOOKs really old and ran down but I bought my first round of Tetras from them along with my Betta and 0 of them had issues.

The fucking Tetras I got from the LFS have/had issues. One of their fins was ripped and another one has inflamed gills.
>>
>>4420449
Good luck on your shrimp journey, I would recommend getting a prefilter sponge to put over that filter intake before you do.
Shrimp are amazing for planted tanks though, not a spec of algae survives in my shrimp tank.
>>
>>4420449
Unless you know for a fact your Betta is "Shrimp Safe", meaning he wont genocide the Shrimp. I'd suggest moving his ass until the colony is firmly established then putting him back in.
>>
>>4417973
Quite possibly over-driven LED's.
Should be able to tally up the diodes and compare to the drivers (not the products) rating.
>>
File: 1372052164042.gif (2.31 MB, 390x277)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB GIF
Read the tale of my experience trying to get Ghost Shrimp.
>Want to get some CHEAP fresh water shrimp to see if my Betta will maul them or not before I drop some money on fancy NeoCards
>over a month goes by and none of the local shops or even the big box stores have any in
>Finally actually speak with an employee at Petsmart, Apparently they have baby bichir there and they keep hopping in to the shrimp tanks and eating everything, and it keeps happening at most of the stores in the are because they are in no way prepared for bichirs
I might not be able to find these fucking shrimp but at least I can laugh about Big Box stores getting fucked due to them chasing a fad.
>>
Should I do water changes when starting walstad or let everything stabilize by itself?
>>
>>4420502
Depending on how you treat the substrate (or how it comes out of the bag), I've typically soaked mine in a bucket a couple times as the organic stuff I use pegs ammonia readings for a couple weeks as it leaches if I don't.
It also helps to get rid of the perlite if used, it floats to the top and you can scoopem out, or leave it in if your cap is heavy enough, same with the larger chunks/slash in some coarser soils.

There are many serious and less serious articles on de and remineralizing things
>>
>>4420502
>>4420507
I've been doing organic composting for a few years now, assuming I filter out the wood/undigested things, break down the "chunky" parts, get the worms out. Can I assume it would be fine for an aquarium?
I have fed the worms their gauno and egg shells in a while but I know the the Azromite is still in there and im not sure if that will have an effect.
It's Volcanic rock dust so...maybe it would be good? its supposed to be good for my garden and last summer I got a shit ton of cantaloupe and tomatoes.
>>
File: IMG_20221205_113224.jpg (1 MB, 2312x1040)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>4420513
Sounds like you know what'll work best for your needs, then. I don't worry too much about the chunky parts, by the time my trumpet snails turn over the cap and some chonks be chunk it isn't going to float. I kinda like the look, if I'm honest, makes me wish I didn't set up the scape in a rush.

In any case, take tests between water changes and when they stop climbing you're probably all good.
>>
>>
File: coy vey.png (259 KB, 720x1060)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>4420529
>>
>>4420529
>>4420530
God damn that's pretty cheap even for other cheap led lights, I think I paid $60 for a nicrew that size.
>>
>>4420539
It's a steal at $30. Solid construction, real bright. Kinda yellow looking to the eye, overly warm.
Unfortunately, the spectrum is barely better than 36" walmart LED shop lights that go on sale for $20. Good CRI doesn't mean dick if the spectrum sucks.
The manufacturer brags about it being closer to sunlight than most. Well, I just put up black out curtains because I don't like algae.

Also, the 3 year warranty is from the manufacturer, and coop removed the timer. I think the cord is longer in exchange, which can be nice. Never an issue for me, I have a sack of heavy duty 3 foot extension cords I got for like a buck each.

Anyways, just had to say that mark up is fucking bonkers.
>>
>>4420455
>>4420460
Yeah I have shrimp in other tanks too so I know the precautions that are needed to be taken. I'm waiting a few months to buy the shrimp so in the meantime I'm just gonna let little buddy hang out.
>>
>Guppocaust Update

One of the new fish died, I think one of the ich rice fish. The rest have mostly shed the cysts.

However, I also had three shrimp (one ghost and a pair of unidentified neos or cards) die overnight, suggests the meds might be too much. Hopefully the pair were neos, but idk what else would kill them except some sort of overdose of antibiotic from the food. Or the constant meds killed the biofilter and the ammonia got a few.

I'm just so tired bros. About ready to turn this into a cherax tank.
>>
File: IMG_20230126_083605~2.jpg (353 KB, 1364x1774)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>4420675
The pompom crab is still alive, so I've got that going for me at least. Unless whatever killed these shrimp gets him.
>>
File: f234g24h.jpg (1.29 MB, 2016x1512)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>starting my first ever planted tank (5 gallons)
>2 weeks in
>plants have been growing but also not looking very healthy
>have been topping the water off that's lost to evaporation but otherwise not doing anything

Would doing a water change help remedy this or should I leave it as is? How much percent? I am also going to be picking up a bunch more plants over the weekend
>>
>>4420687
Some of it is melt due to changes in tank parameters - plants in a new environment tend to absorb or drop leaves that were specialized for the old one - some if it is the (assumed) lack of substrate nutrients. If you didn't put a root tab in there, virgin gravel has damn near zero available nutrients for the sword in the back right, for example. The heavy water feeders - stem plants - won't care, but I wouldn't expect the sword to do more than survive until it has root food.

Water changes may help, if you're on well or city water there will be plenty of new magnesium and calcium and maybe some other useful stuff. But mostly they need food, either ferts or (longer term) fish shit, ideally processed by snails or other detritivores and shifted lower into the substrate.
>>
>>4420692
The box lid hides it but it's "aquarium soil" underneath the gravel, does that change anything?
>>
>>4420701
Yeah significantly, means it's probably just melt. As someone else noted earlier, sometimes plants just fail to thrive, but if you've got aquasoil then a 25% or so water change wouldn't hurt, might just not make much difference.
>>
Best thing I've ever received from aquabid is the email of a local guy in Florida who moves a lot of fish at lower prices than the big online guys, and with cheap shipping and DOA coverage. Even has heterandria formosa 12 for $10 in the summer, and once or twice a year takes orders for some killifish autist in NYC who has literally dozens of different types of annual killis. And monthly bulk plants at wholesale prices (like $20 per dozen bunches of various stems, $2 crypts, $10 per lb of azolla, etc)

Anyways, email is crichbutcher -at- Comcast dot net, if anyone else wants on the mailing list. I swear I'm not him - would never put my own info on this autist honeypot - just passing it along since he's starting to restock for the spring, and I like supporting little guys who deserve it.
>>
File: 20230126_085806.jpg (3.38 MB, 4032x3024)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>4420683
Nice
>>
>>4420725
>Java fern
>reproducing well
>clearly fairly healthy
>looks like garbage

Another victim of the Jew Fern.
>>
Behold! A huge female bamboo shrimp!
Idk what’s going on and why it came out during the day. It might be the first time in 3 years. Maybe it’s starving?.. never fed them specifically, since it’s impossible with all the fish, snails and amanos, but they somehow managed to survive so far.
Anyway, happy to be able yo see it properly and take a few pictures! They dont live very long, so idk how much time they got left - might be first and last time i see her this close
>>
Do nerite snail eggs ever go away on their own or are they just a fact of life once your snails start laying them?
>>
>>4420827
Depends on the species (there are dozens if not hundreds of them) on how long it takes but they do eventually break down and dissolve. The shortest ones take a couple weeks at least, so it's just part of having them if you don't luck into only males.
>>
File: PXL_20230126_175326291~2.jpg (545 KB, 1738x1655)
545 KB
545 KB JPG
Update on this angel since I've already posted about the little guy twice. No spawning yet but 90% sure it's a male judging by the nuchal hump he's growing and the constant territory disputes with my confirmed male.
Little guy is growing into an absolute chad fighting males much bigger than him.
>>
>>4420853
Angelfish are such cool fish. I kinda wish I could have some of them again. My upcoming amazonian tank will be dedicated to discus, though.
>>
>>4420864
Discus are awesome but too fussy with parameters for my tastes. That and how you are absolutely spoiled for choice when you want to buy angels.
What other fish go well with discus for a community? Mostly dwarf plecos and rams come to mind.
>>
What is the best option for c02 dosing?? Would something like what fluval offers be adequate or should I just stick to making my own setup with plastic bottles?
>>
>>4420877
>That and how you are absolutely spoiled for choice when you want to buy angels
There's just as many color morphs for freshwater angels as there are discus.
> https://discusrescue.com/what-colors-do-discus-fish-come-in-54-discus-full-color-list/
But yeah, I've found them to be more sensitive for sure. Also tetras of various sorts are often used as dither fish with them.
>>
>>4420884
Fluval's CO2 (Oxygen, not zero) system is shit. If you are willing to put up with unreliable output, might as well save money and just do yeast.

Depends on your budget, really. I've used all three of the major types (yeast, citric acid, pressurized). You get what you pay for, but even my ghetto yeast setup had a noticeable effect on growth.
>>
File: Java-fern-care-guide.jpg (110 KB, 1200x800)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>4420728
No kidding, it's usually hit or miss so thats why I got a bunch on sale for this tank. Not to mention how abysmal the rhizomes were definitely gave off some small hat energy. Maybe in another 6 months or a year the bad ones will melt and just leave the good ones. Not sure how people get amazing bushes of it like pic related but it could just be 100 small ones glued together
>>
>>4420853
Such a pretty fish. Shame they're such cichliggers.
>>
File: IMG_20230126_134813~2.jpg (706 KB, 1966x3373)
706 KB
706 KB JPG
New bamboo shrimp isn't eating off the ground anymore, guess it was just freaked out. It found a spot of heavy flow - behind the filter where it sticks to the wall. I'm going to have to remember to check that spot in the future when I do maintenance, I foresee a squished bamboo shrimp in my future.
>>
>>4420895
After looking around a bit I'm kinda leaning towards a setup like this that uses citric acid. Seems like a good middle ground
>>
how much you all reckon cholla cactus could sell for in northern california? (grows in south west)
$20 for a big branch?
$20 for a bushel of sticks?
>>
how mucch for a big fucker like this?

*also its raw, untreated
customer would have to pre-soak it themselves

i suppose i could pre-soak to get dirt and tannins out and then double price per piece?
all i would have to do is soak each piece in a bucket for ~30 days, ya?
>>
>>4420925
Can't post pic but it is a ZRDR CO2 Generator System.
>>
>>4420927
As far as I know from online listings, branched pieces usually go for a little more but still not a lot.
If you were to base it off something similar like manzanita about $15 if you're selling a random piece under 24 inches. If you go through the trouble of wetting and taking pictures you might get up to $25 per individual piece but only if it catches someone's eye.
>>
>>4420934
>>4420927
If you're selling online I think that's a little low, a nice looking, branched 24" piece on etsy would run $35+, but in person those numbers are probably about right.

Selling 1" or 2" long cuts at $1-$1.50/pop would probably be the best bang for your wood, but for time spent, sell it in bulk at like $20 for a 10" square of mixed pieces.

>>4420928
Don't bother with the presoak stuff, you'll lose more wood and cut out customers and probably can't sell for much more. Put a "wash before use" disclaimer and forget about it. Also that big boy is going to be hard to move but would definitely be $150+, though shipping might be a bitch. Continuous long pieces are high value but not many buyers for a 6' long cholla. I'd think a lot of people who want those size pieces just collect them themselves.
>>
>>4420877
A ton of tetras, corydoras, otocinclus, knifefish and others.
Idk about rams, though. If they go well together, great.
>>
>>4420925
It's a decent middle ground but at the time I felt like I was just putting off the inevitable.
>>
>>4420925
Citric acid? I’m about to dose citric acid directly into my tank to lower its ph. This shit is incomprehensible.
>>
>>4420991
Be really conservative on dosing stuff in your tank if you don't know what you're doing, and check the math at least once. Surprisingly small volumes of chemicals can nuke the tank
>>
File: IMG_20230126_154753~2.jpg (1.34 MB, 3000x3202)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
This giant asshole has decided to become male, I guess having seen how much fun it was for its sister/brother/babydaddy. Now it's fighting with the other tranny swordtail nonstop, which I guess will eventually fix itself, but goddamn. These fish are too big to be such problems in the tank, I'm going to fish her/him out as soon as I can catch it.
>>
>>4420852
Shit, fenbendazole makes nerited explode on tank contact for like a year doesn't it?
Suddenly interested in snails again, if they live long enough. Sexing nerites never occured to me.
>>
File: PXL_20230126_210131561.jpg (2.39 MB, 4080x3072)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
cycling my first tank, still waiting on lights, sand, and rocks to come in the mail. Gonna fill it with corals, fire shrimp, and maybe a tiny fish or five

wish me luck
>>
>>4420988
The inevitable which is what? A system that uses a cylinder of co2?
>>
>>4420991
Citric acid and baking soda produce co2 when combined.
>>
File: IMG_20230126_190457~2.jpg (793 KB, 2150x2589)
793 KB
793 KB JPG
Bamboo shrimp has found the filter outflow. All is well.

No idea where #2 is I haven't seen it or evidence of a body, but at least this one seems happy.
>>
File: 1643271729718.png (1.09 MB, 955x1024)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>4421002
Clown gobies good for small tanks, wouldn't go bigger than that though.
Just make sure that there isn't any equipment that they can crawl into or get sucked inside.
>>
>>4421002
>cycling
>an empty tank
kek

you're gonna learn some stuff real fast
>>
>>4421002
you aren't cycling shit without any substrate at least anon wtf
>>
>>4421139
They said they were waiting for rocks and sand. Then again, it is a little odd that they filled it already.
>>
Hob filter users what do you have running in them?
>>
>>4421148

It's because I'm retarded, and also wanted to do an extended leak test just in case, worst case scenario I can drain the water into some 5 gallon buckets I have sitting around and use an empty jug to move it all back, there's about 9.5 gallons of water in it right now so it's easy enough to manage.

I also have all the testing strips that the internet says I need and have been ADHD hyper focused on reading guides and watching people's videos. Surprisingly picking up a lot of good sounding information.

Long-long-term I'm planning on getting a much bigger tank and using this one as a sump, will need a more traditional aquarium stand though. Might DIY it.
>>
>>4421180
the answer is almost always foam. 30ppi has better biofiltration but requires more maintenance. 20ppi less biofiltration but generally won't clog if your bioload is moderate. I have 20ppi sponges that havent been cleaned for 3 years that run just fine.

Also crushed coral if you need it. Filter floss can offer better mechanical filtration but IMO, just run 30ppi sponge if you want that.
>>
File: foo.jpg (138 KB, 1140x655)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
What is the absolute max temperature that white cloud minnows cant take? i keep seeing see radically different numbers in my research.
>>
>>4421195
I've had them survive mid 30s-mid 80s. I wouldn't keep them consistently above 78 though. You will absolutely shorten lifespans above mid 70s.
>>
>>4421192
>testing strips
you mean water test kit right
>>
>>4421223
>muh API test kit
the difference in accuracy is negligible and also dependent on the eyeball of the observer. Strip tests are, IMO, superior because they're more convenient and strip testers will test more often and detect parameter drift towards degenerate ranges more quickly.

For most freshwater fish, parameters aside from nitrogenous waste don't matter within a non-retarded range. Have some minerals, have pH above 6.5 and below 8.5. Don't have nitrites or ammonia and nitrates below 3 digit range (sub 40 for blackwater fish).
>>
>>4421246
despite the upfront cost though the test kit is overall much cheaper with no real downsides if you're not going to be lazy about shit
>>
>>4421254
for one tank, two, three tanks maybe i agree. But once you start keeping lots of tanks the strips are just a better deal when you factor in your time. Shit even a tds meter, even though tds is an irrelevant meme parameter. You can take tds and know what your typical range is, then if its off test just that tank.
>>
File: FUCK YOU.jpg (927 KB, 3024x4032)
927 KB
927 KB JPG
FLARE AT ME ONE MORE FUCKING TIME I DARE YOU
>>
>>4417468
dont kill yourself, you will never get another life
>>
>>4421246
>the difference in accuracy is negligible
You're very wrong
>>
File: IMG_20230101_154258.jpg (3.97 MB, 4624x2080)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
>>4420687
Next time you're buying plants, or browsing online for them, take note of their names and do a little spot research on whether they are;
Floaters
Substrate feeders
Water column feeders

then;
Light levels low/med/high

do they;
Carpet/runners
Grow tall but send runners
Grow tall but slowly and dense
Grow tall but slowly and more sparsely

I would recommend taking a cursory glance at the Walstad method (soil substrate capped with fine gravel/sand), look at other peoples scapes (not the instagram-type folks) and whether they have thin, thick, varied substrates, aare the plants routinely trimmed to keep them short, wide and bushy etc. Once you get some fish in there or spend $20 on some plant ferts, you'll see a lot more action. As it sits, there's water and substrate but nothing for the plants to feed off of.
Sorry that turned out long. I regret nothing.
>>
Who else likes to let the algae grow wild all over the decor so you can see the little pockets of oxygen forming?
>>
>>4421485
Thank you for that response anon. I forgot to mention I have an inch or so of aqua soil under the gravel, it's just hidden by the box lid. I'll watch some more Walstad videos. Much appreciated!
>>
>>4421491
I like algae on wood, and I also want to keep an algae wall on the side of the aquarium that touches the (external) wall.
>>
File: IMG_20230121_104128~2.jpg (1.88 MB, 4000x2490)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>4421499
If you want an example of a low-maintenance jungle, see my 30 gallon clown car. It's got a fuck ton of various plants mostly planted short in the front, whatever floaters are currently "winning", and about 75 fish. Only maintenence is to trim the background stems in front of the filters now and again, pulling floaters every week or so, and keeping the Val runners from taking over. Fluorite and sand capping aquasoil. It's not an Instagram tank by any means, but the critters are mostly happy and healthy and the plants are very happy.

I add some Thrive-C once a week or so, but can't speak to whether it actually does much beyond cause the floaters to growth spike.
>>
File: 20230127_084632.jpg (507 KB, 1900x1382)
507 KB
507 KB JPG
Looks like 5 spermoids made it through last night after being revived with heat from my hand and turning up the heat in and out.
I'll take it for a last minute "fuck it see what happens" with no guidance.
Are they supposed to be retarded, though? And I'm guessing detritus might kill them, but I'm still waiting on a long ass baster. Guess I could pick one up at walmart for now, but I am very fucking broke now.
Gonna have to do lots of side shit to stock come spring and summer.
>>
File: corydoras_sp_c123_7.jpg (38 KB, 500x281)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Yeah, we need some cory genome sequencing.
Even Dan has the listings:
>my supplier said these are probably adolfi/duplicareas, so they might be that one. $30 per plus tip.
My money is listed as varieties of the same species in a matter of time, personally.
>>
>>4421638
Pretty sure one of my "pandas" from aquahuna is something else. It's a little smaller than the others, never hangs out with them, and the eye stripe is a different angle than pandas.

It wouldn't matter if corys were just less bigoted about only hanging with their own type. It makes it hard to get a good sized school of a species when nobody along the supply chain knows what they *really* are
>>
>>4421646
>It wouldn't matter if corys were just less bigoted about only hanging with their own type
And here I am fuming because a couple sterbais keep trying to get the succ from my big lady panda, getting in the way productive man milking.
Other than that, there's some cross species friendships (especially amongst tiny youngins) and general tank wide partying going on, but really, I do see exactly what you're talking about.
>>
Last night while at Petsmart I was looking at their fish and noticed some...odd Neon Tetras mixed in with their Black Neons. Instead of that Blue line that Neons normally have it was like an red/orange. It might be the Glofish version but They are not kept with the Glolights, they are off to the side at the very bottom rack and every time Ive been there ladder was in front of them and with no tag of any kind.
>>
File: Glowlight-Tetra.jpg (74 KB, 800x600)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>4421699
Sound like glowlight tetras - no relation to the GMO glofish
>>
>>4421646
>>4421656
Pandas and sterbai are on the same lineage meaning that they can crossbreed. If that manages to happen post the mutts :3 im interested in what they would look like
>>
>>4421701
Interesting, got any idea if they will schools with other Tetras types? Petsmart has an absolute fuck ton with Black Neons in a standard tank so I can't really tell if they are all schooling as one or if they are just cramped.

I like the idea of having a school of mostly the same type of Tetra save for one that is a different color but the only thing Ive worried about is them being racist and not schooling with other non ____ Tetras. I'm also glad they are not Glofish, they irk me. The GMO thing not so much but they bright gaudy colors
>>
File: IMG_20230127_161703.jpg (2.14 MB, 4000x1800)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
Just noticed one of my kuhli loaches has a nasty looking rash or cuts on its underside. They've been in the tank about a week now. My filter flow has dropped off dramatically over the past month which might be causing it if it's a skin issue. Much better filter is on the way. The substrate is mostly sand with some rocks which makes me think they could be cuts.
Does it look like a rash or cuts to you guys?
>>
>>4421711
No such luck, tetras tend to be pretty racist, even cardinals and neons won't really school together, and glowlights are further removed genetically. They're better fish than neons imo, hardier and otherwise basically identical in behavior.

If you want one-offs in a school you're better off with livebearers or medaka, but the former will eventually end up with less "one off" and more "rainbow of colors", and the latter can be hard to find in person.
>>
>>4421719
Fucking yikes, that looks like a bad infection at the very least. Probably new tank stress related, but whatever the initial cause it's definitely not healthy looking.

I'd recommend some medicated food (everything aquatics on ebay is the best source I've found in US), do 25% water changes every few days, definitely unclog the filter, maybe add another air stone as well and raise temps to 80+ if you can.
>>
>>4421721
Well I wanted to get Medaka when I started this take but I could not find them by me at any the LFS ...if only I did a bit more research on them besides how to care for them I would have realized there are hobbyist breeders in my area and most likely could have got some off them.
Either way I got Tetras and wanted to see if I could add a single one that is similar in shape but a different color
>>
>>4421723
Thanks for the heads up. I'm a britfag but I'll have a look around. I've already been doing 25% water changes every other day. Going to carry out a 50% replacement tomorrow.
>>
File: 6151564165.png (750 KB, 565x791)
750 KB
750 KB PNG
Ive recently learnt that not only morays eels can be kept with shrimp, but they have a symbiotic relationship going on within them. My saltwater aquarium is going to be so rad.
>>
>>4421756
>every moray eel tank
>>
File: 5614456564.png (547 KB, 755x355)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>4421764
Banam
>>
Bought three nerite snails the other day. At first they were all super active but now two of them are burying themselves in the substrate. Is this normal?
>>
>>4421838
Its normal, to some degree. My mystery snails do the same every now and them. Never more than one at a time, though.
>>
Anyone remember Lord of the Snails? I would not want these things anywhere near my John Thomas
>>
File: not jewish.gif (489 KB, 400x300)
489 KB
489 KB GIF
>be me
>top tax bracket
>go to home depot
>take clippings of various pothos
>refuse to elaborate
>leave

Can't wait to tell my synagogue about this one new trick that stores hate!
>>
Added some banana plants to my tank on a lark. Seems like they're doing pretty well (roots and new leaves are growing like crazy), however the big leaves that are growing are a lot more floppy and less vibrant in their green color.

Does anybody have any feedback on whether this is normal? I have them under medium light with nothing crowding them out. They are also directly under the HoB filter, and you subjected to the majority of the tank flow.
>>
>>4421949
Mine have done the same, I think it's just that fairly high light results in thinner, lighter colored leaves? Mine also tend to migrate over time, could be those leaves are better for water column feeding plants?
>>
>>4421951
Please elaborate? Don't know what you mean by migration or water column feeding plants
>>
>>4421952
By migration I mean mine move around the tank due to fish, snails, and water movement. Water column as opposed to root column feeding - some plants do better getting water from the ground or from the water directly.

None of that really matters, yours look fine to me.
>>
>>4421960
Oh cool! Didn't know they could do one or the other.

Mine exploded with roots the instant I set it down and now it's pretty well tethered.
>>
>>4421949
No experience with that plant but my anubias leaves start off kind of curly like that all the time. they eventually straighten up and look like the older leaves.
>>
>>4421706
Ah fuck me, they look so different I assumed they were different lineages. I was worried about the Adolfo's.
Well, should be easy to spot, the problem is keeping the muttlets happy but not breeding :/. Guess they grow so slow plenty of time to rehome.
>>
Hillstream loach owners: I am about to join your ranks

Called my LFS and they said that they have 4 in stock. I'm thinking of adding 1-3 to my 30gal tomorrow but I have some questions:
1. Flow: I've heard they appreciate some, but research is telling me it's not mandatory. I currently have an HOB filter thats got some decent enough downward flow, supplemented by an air stone. Will that be enough?
2. Rocks - currently I do not have any flat stones. I have a big piece of driftwood and some jagged ones though. How important would it be to get a smooth stone? If I do get one, how important is it to have it in the best place for flow? I don't want to do too much rearranging.
3. How much of a change is it having one versus 3 of them as far as getting the best personality out of them? I really love the videos of them I've seen when they're active. Considering buying one now and seeing what happens.
>>
>>4421002
How big is that tank?
If that's the clearance target shelving I'm thinking of, could be sketch as fuck.
>>
>>4421847
Lol, dollars to donuts the one burying itself was getting brutally raped. Once they get dicked down hard (female or male), all the males take a turn and will rape to death if it can't get away.
I don't fuck with snails anymore, unless it's to kill them.
>>
>>4421989
flow isnt mandatory and they will glom on anything, wood, rocks, a little on the glass, substrate. It's nice to have a rock in a well lit area to farm some algae for them but if you feed repashy or a good sinking pellet probably not needed.
>>
>>4421851
Gross dude
>>
File: pangio_cuneovirgata_02.jpg (127 KB, 675x506)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>4421853
>not Jewish

I believe it.
You didn't claim Home Depot pogromed your ancestors and gassed their pothos.
>>
does more flow help build muscles in fish? I notice when i take a platy from one of my high flow tanks and mix them with platys that grew up in sponge filter tanks they just mog. Outcompete for food and all of the spongeboy males cower behind the filter. It's actually become kind of a problem because I'm trying to condense down my platy collection into one bigger tank.
>>
>>4422069
Absolutely my experience, and also that almost any fish that isn't a tard to begin with will adapt for the better. I'm pro flomaxing tanks as long as there's retreats.
>>
>>4422072
>>4422069
Oh, but watch for cichligger intelligence at play.
Rams will corral rivals into high flow areas to kill them with minimum effort/risk (in combination with food denial).
>>
>>4422072
Yeah I even have a female betta in a tank with pretty significant flow. Bettas are invasive in several Amazon tributaries so I think the entire NO IT WILL DIE IF THE WATER SLIGHTLY PUSHES IT stuff is oversold. Except for shit like threadfins and halfmoons that can barely swim but those are like the pugs of fish.
>>
>>4419575
The one I got for my 28 gallon has been in its own little world exploring every little crevice while the brass tetras were establishing their school's pecking order. It's funny watching it casually look around while the tetras dart around.
>>
>have a lot of tanks with insane snail overpopulation
>start feeding very gingerly, fish are fine
>snail populations crash but now tanks are littered with empty shells
I cant win with these fucks, how long until they dissolve back into the water
>>
>>4422144
A long, long fucking time.

Buy yourself some tweezers, buddyboy
>>
Taking the co2 pill. Just ordered a 5 pound cylinder along with all the accouterments. Seems easy enough.
>>
>>4422055
What the fuck did I just read?
>>
>>4422049
Will they be fine with normal flake food?

They're only competing with neons right now and those little guys are idiots. Half the reason I want a hillstream is to clean up their mess after they miss half the flakes.
>>
File: basement.jpg (1.05 MB, 4032x3024)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>4422159
flake is shitty for feeding them. They will eat the remnant flakes at the bottom but you should offer sinking pellets, blanched cucumbers/zuchinni or even just a sinking wafer every couple of days.

Also stop feeding flake in general, shit sucks. I love x-treme nano for 1-3'' schooling fish. Very clean, high protein. I have even watched my neons bottom feeding to get more of it, they don't do that with flake, even the x-treme krill flake.

in other news: i spent all day moving tanks and redoing racks. Moved my flagfish into my random junk room that will, one day, when I have a lot more money, be a rec room and home bar.
>>
>Fucked up the gradual acclimation procedure
>Triops is now dying
I'll be lucky if it makes it through tonight, but it's looking really grim right now. I guess I'll try again with my back up eggs.
>>
File: scape.jpg (1.16 MB, 4032x3024)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>4422163
I'm thinking round river rocks for this tank worked into the wood then some along the background to protect stem plants, and java ferm all over the wood. I think the stock in here will be a goldfish, platys and maybe some longfin zebra danios. The goldfish I have in mind seems to have lockjaw and doesn't seem to be a plant destroyer, we'll see how much luck i have.
>>
>>4418198
Definitely not a Gambusia. Body is too wide. Definitely some sort of poecillid tho
>>
File: janny.jpg (412 KB, 1250x1250)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>4421756
CLEAN IT UP
>>
Dammit. I got a prefilter sponge for my HOB to make sure the Kuhli loaches I was getting wouldn't get sucked into the filter. All good for a couple days.

Check today, notice I can't find one of them. Check everywhere, nothing. Decide to check the filter, little fucker is hanging out at the bottom. I guess he jumped up the waterfall. What the Hell am I supposed to do to stop that? Fuckin noodles.
>>
File: 1674896625714.jpg (48 KB, 634x354)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Is it okay to put my hand into the fish tank? Not like this but to say, place plants
>>
>>4422297
yeah it's fine. May spook fish for a second, but it's generally ok as long as you aren't fucking about for longer than you need to.
>>
File: 20230128_041419.jpg (939 KB, 1464x3255)
939 KB
939 KB JPG
>>4422163
I didn't know you could feel agoraphobia indoors. Looks easy to clean, though, and better than piles of junk. Sweet property.

Speaking of junk: buried deep in the archives of ancient basement bullshit, the tower of fish babbylon rises.
>>
File: 20230128_044901.jpg (761 KB, 2234x1720)
761 KB
761 KB JPG
>>4422313
Ghetto filter brigade in the wings ready to take a shot at the 10 gals.
Wish I'd put 70-80% as much media, oh well.
>>
File: 20230128_045342.jpg (1.76 MB, 1800x4000)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>4422329
>>4422329
More elegant dual solution for the 20 longs.
There's 3 more powerheads sponges and qanvees each, so I don't need the ghetto guys, per se. Can always just stack or split two $1.50 sponge filters with an air pump too.
>>
>>4422329
The Asian-owned LFS near me has this sort of filter in every one of their tanks. With the ghetto filters and the complete lack of anything but fish + filter in the tanks, gives it a fish market feel.
>>
>>4418617
>>4422246
Ye my guess would also be it's a some sort of a livebearer, either a molly or a swordtail.
>>
File: 1668825078353274.png (356 KB, 600x586)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
My tank is no longer cloudy and is clear as fuck
Bless
>>
File: IMG-5024.jpg (1.99 MB, 2322x4027)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
How fucked are these? I just put them in two weeks ago. There's soil under the gravel.
>>
>>4422463
Stems are green and look healthy, if it's just the leaves they'll survive. You may have bare bottom stalk forever, but with stems you can wait for new leaves, break off the shitty looking part, and replant the good parts.
>>
>>4422463
Emerse leaves go brown and die while new submerse leaves grow and eventually fill the spot of the other ones. Either that or you make a graft.
>>
File: 41w4lgLbnwL._AC_.jpg (26 KB, 449x458)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CL7Q9CH/?coliid=IQDSHZX446GDG&colid=12EKVOXXBB8GF&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Has anyone used this light? My tank came with a light but it being a top fin light, it is cheap as shit and im pretty sure my plants would do better with a better light. Having grown things in doors before I understand how important it is to have a proper light so I'm assuming it's the same for Aquarium plants.

This is my tank
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/top-fin-fascinate-column-starter-kit-49929.html?cgid=300207&fmethod=Browse
12.5 in L x 12.5 in W x 19.5 in H (31.7 x 31.7 x 49.5 cm)
>>
>>4422170
Good news, the little guy made it through the night and is now acting like nothing happened. This bug is tougher than I thought.
>>
>>4417322
Does anyone here have experience with Thai Micro Crabs? I was considering getting some but am worried they might get bullied by tankmates (mostly the fish, algae eaters) due to their size.
>>
>>4422518
They are extremely reclusive. Even in a species tank you would barely see them.
>>
>>4422518
If you mean Siamese (or, Allah forgive me, Chinese) Algae Eaters, full grown ones will almost certainly eat the crabs. As the other anon said, they're incredibly shy and mostly nocturnal, so you need 2-3 per gallon to have any hope of seeing activity. On top of that they're not long lived (12mo +/-), wild caught so of unknown age, and haven't been bred in home aquariums.

Basically they're kinda shitty, and this comes from someone who really likes aquatic inverts.
>>
Is it normal for bristlenose plecos to start hiding all the time?
I've had this male for 6 months and he used to be out every single feeding time eating as much as he could. The last week he's been chilling in a little crack and not really coming out. I slipped him a little algae wafer and he seemed to be angry at the tweezers coming near his spot but the corys who also chill there aren't being bothered.
Is it just to do with him becoming sexually mature?
>>
>>4422533
Siamese, I didn't specify because I'm not even sure who willingly owns Chinese algae eaters. That's disappointing to hear though, I was hoping they'd be a way to get crabs without dealing with the violence of almost every other crab species.
>>
>>4422540
Freshwater Pompom Crabs are your best bet without a palundarium though they may still be small enough to get preyed upon. They're basically shy dwarf crayfish in behavior, so larger and heftier and more active than Thai micro crabs.
>>
>>4422540
>I'm not even sure who willingly owns Chinese algae eaters
They are cool fish. Just not good for most community tanks.
Pair it up with pangasius catfish, dojo loaches and garras and you have a rad south china/upper mekong monster fish aquarium.
>>
>>4422428
If the LFS thing doesn't work out they just rebrand to an Asian seafood market. Genius.
>>
Update: Frogs are doing well!
>>
>>4422329
>>4422333
I'm planning my upgraded reef tank and I'm considering experimenting with fluidized media filtration. No one really explores it in saltwater. The issue is K1 media is calibrated for freshwater, and even if I did find saltwater media, I'm wondering how precise I'd need to keep the specific gravity for it to function consistently.
>>
>>4422534
Nigga prolly wanna nut.
I hope that's it. I wanna see some in addition to breeding them.
>>
>>4422163
Thanks for the advice. My neons weren't really going too hard on the flake so that makes sense. Hated seeing it flowing around the tank looking all gross.

I bought some Hikari algea wafers for the hillstream. Will that be fine? Do you have any tips for how to schedule feeding in general? I've been feeding small amounts twice a day with flake and I think I'm overfeeding.
>>
File: PXL_20230129_000400653.png (2 MB, 2048x1184)
2 MB
2 MB PNG
>>4421993
It is a $10 10 gallon I got from Goodwill. Local pet shop has 29 gallon tanks for 75 each so if this goes well I'll be getting one of their tanks to add to the setup

I realized I was impatient and didn't want to wait for shipping so I went and bought a small bag of live sand and a single rock just so I can get *something* started.
>>
I also stared into tanks at a specialized store for an hour taking notes of what fish I thought looked coolest/didn't cost 650 dollars

Still need to do research on most of them but I'm leaning towards mostly crustaceans and maybe one of those goth looking clownfish
>>
>>4422730
>10 gallon saltwater
Man, I really hope you know what you're doing. Otherwise that's going to be a great way to lose money on stock
>>
>>4422737
I don't know what I'm doing, but I also know the best way to learn is to get first hand experience. I'm probably going to stick with low numbers and cheaper heartier fish for the first year or two
>>
File: co2 for ants.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
Noticed I had to increase the co2 bubble rate to get the same PH drop (yes I check so the KH is the same).
So I did an experiment to see how often I should clean the ceramic. Did a 1:1 bleach+water dip for 20 minutes.
At 45 days without cleaning, I needed to increase the bubble rate slightly to get the same level of diffusion.
At 60 days there are much fewer microbubbles and I needed to greatly increase the bubble rate. Everything went back to normal after another 20 minute bleach dip.
Guess I'll make it a monthly routine to clean these, instead of just waiting for months until I notice there's a bit of algae on it.
>>
What apisto pair or other dwarf cichlids can I cram in a 25ltr?
>>
File: R.jpg (46 KB, 645x773)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>clean my native tank's glass
>slammed with the fresh river smell
>tfw
I never realized how much I loved that smell, but whenever I mention it to other people they look at me weird. Also my family has decided to dub my collecting trips "mucking", and there's a running joke that if anon doesn't answer the phone he's probably mucking.
>>
>>4422751
>apisto pair in 6 gallons
really pushing it imo. I kept a pair of borelli in a 10, unfortunately the male mysteriously fell ill and died after about 8 months
>>
>>4422706
You wanna feed juveniles a little more. Multiple small, think VERY SMALL feedings per day are better but one bigger feeding is fine for adult fish (and juvies too probably they just wont grow as fast/big). But a fish's stomach is roughly as big as its eyeball. Imagine that size times every fish in the tank and feed about that amount. It's a surprisingly tiny amount of food. Aquarium fish in general are way overfed.

>>4422518
they're fucking gay. If you want fully aquatic crabs that arent gay look at freshwater pom poms or panther crabs. Be aware that both (moreso the panther) will eat any fish they can catch so if any of them are slow or get sick or just get ambushed at night they will be snacked on. I would only pair them with livebearers or something similarly prolific.

>>4422670
related: i saw firebelly newts at an expo today. Was kind of kicking myself for not having a tank ready. I'm looking for new ideas for the 10 in my office after losing my male apisto and a pair of them would have been pretty cool. Sucks ass that they went from being so common that every petstore had them to so uncommon that you're actually surprised to see them at an expo. Guy at the booth said he's the only person breeding them in the state right now as far as he knows.
>>
File: IMG1750739277477271109.jpg (105 KB, 857x676)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Well lads, it's here. First hillstream added to the tank.

Does anybody wanna take a stab at sexing this? I think it's male but I don't know.

Apologies for the poor lighting; I took it right after I added it in and the light was low. I can try to take another if it can't be identified.
>>
How /aq/ spend night for good comfy vibe?
>>
>>
>had fishtank running for 2 years now
>I'll be moving cross country soon
any tips would be appreciated...
>>
Accidentally paid for 38kg of reef rock today.
It begins.
>>
>>4422965
Another Daytonabro?
>>
>>4422840
I'm thinking trifaciata or erythrura. Alternatively any other uncommon nano fish? not killies/multies/darios/cpd's etc
>>
>>4423063
>Accidentally paid for 38kg of reef rock today
Da fuq? How?
Revenge for wifey accidentally sleeping with the neighbor?
>>
>>4422840
How do they do in a 10 in general?
Heavily considering apistos to be the stars of babbys first breeding rack. Sounds like they're an easier version of GBRs that sell for more, and I like them.

(On racks: fuck that soviet block side to side 5s or 10s pressed together; gotta be nice to look for when I crave aquarium viewing in the middle of the night)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.