[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: crow.jpg (150 KB, 800x853)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
I always treat any crows I see nicely because of the great crow war meme but they still fly away even though I talk to them kindly. Today one went from perching on a fence close to the sidewalk to a tree a bit higher up but still close to my path and I guess he felt safe there. It was at this moment where he was nearly above my walking path that I wondered if birds prefer to take shits when perching or when flying. I guess the anecdotal evidence is that many do it whilst flying but then I'm sure all the domesticated ones like parakeets are perching shitters. I wonder if any studies have been done on this, the percentage of flying shitters vs perching shitters and if the species of bird affects this.
>>
>>4356961
Most avians have zero control of their bowels. They don't shit on purpose, it just happens. Reason being is their digestive process needs to work fast. Like, really fast. The body needs to keep itself as light as possible so it can still fly, and actually storing waste in the body is, by evolution standards, detrimental to them.
>>
>>4356961
Some birds make little packets of shit to carry away from their babies and drop onto your car
>>
>>4357683
This can't be entirely true, as birds usually don't shit on their eggs or in their nest, generally speaking. They must have some ability to hold it in, or at the very least a premonition of when it's about to occur. That said, obviously birds have much less evolutionary incentive to be picky about when or where they shit than mammals do.
>>
they tend to shit when they take off
>>
>>4356961
>Bird shitting habbits
fucking kek
>>
Parrots shit when sitting down
>>
>>4359883
woah... he's literally me
>>
>>4356961
>I always treat any crows I see nicely
same but because of watching and reading Game of Thrones
>>
>>4359897
gay
>>
>>4357816
lmao really?
it make sense, taking off must require a lot of energy and their entire body must be contracting hard
>>
>>4359898
Not really what I meant though. When I see cows, it makes me think of the wildness of nature, with the eating dead animals.
It makes me feel good thinking that there are still savage animals roaming around, even just outside the city.
They want blood and they are smart. They are so based.
>>
File: 1381017210199.png (144 KB, 500x375)
144 KB
144 KB PNG
>>4356961
>back in elementary school
>running around like a crank-addled spazz
>suddenly feel something wet hitting me square in the temple
>yep, it's bird shit
>ponder possible projectile parabolas
>sole conclusion:
>SOMEONE THREW BIRDSHIT AT ME
Was I right?
>>
>>4357816
Kind of like how squids eject water behind them to propel themselves forward or like how a jet engine uses thrust to take off.
>>
>>4357683
Interesting.
Where may I read more about that?
>>
>>4357683
>>4357702
>>4360226
Birds can control their bowels while landed, but when flying, they lack bowel control.
>>
>>4360989
Do you know where may I find more info on that, Anon? I'm studying ornithology on my own (semi-formally, in a way), so I'd like to expand my knowledge as much as possible, in any way.
>>
>>4361221
Not him, but I'd say to try to looking for textbooks about birds physiology.
simple as
>>
I gently threw some peanuts towards a bunch of crows but i think the motion scared them away
>>
>>4362749
probably work eventually. placing them on the ground instead might work faster though.
>see birbs
>greet birbs
>leave offering of peanuts to pay tribute
>fuck off
>repeat
>keep repeating
>routineestablished.exe
>enjoy your new birb frens
use body language to telegraph your intentions. like, hold peanuts with palm up and hand open so they can see what you've got. look and turn to face them so it's obvious when you've spotted them. pause whatever you were doing so it's obvious that the focus of your attention has shifted to them. resume what you were doing so it doesn't look like a baited ruse where you're waiting expectantly to see if they go for the peanuts. don't move toward them with your arm outstretched. shit like that. do it habitually and just be consistent and patient.
>>
>>4362749
Next time just place it on the ground at a reasonable distance from them, and repeat so regularly.
>>
Quite often at the break of day there are two crows in my garden. When they are up the in the trees I try to make them notice that I'm bringing peanuts and various seeds) by walking slowly with the food visible in my hands, but they always fly away when they see me or when I try to leave the offering.
I just want to see the crows enjoy the meal :(

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.